Please Teacher! Fan Fiction ❯ Onegai Bounty Hunter ❯ Cookout at Kamishiros ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

What felt like a minute later, he awoke in a strange whitish area. Sitting up with a start, he realized he was probably back on her ship. Zabaione, clothed in her silver skintight bodysuit, sat on a stool beside his makeshift bed.
 
“You blacked out in the lake,” she explained. “So, I pulled you underwater and had Molly bring us back here. This is what passes for a sickbay.”
 
He rubbed his head sheepishly. “This has happened to me before.”
 
“You gave me quite an alarm,” she noted with a frown. “I have limited medical skills.”
 
“I'm alright,” he assured her. “You just dazzled me with your beauty.”
 
She nodded, though an unsure look played across her face.
 
“I hope no one saw us vanish,” he added.
 
“I had Molly create holos of us leaving,” she said. “Don't worry.”
 
He checked his watch. “My friend's barbecue is almost over! We're going to be late!”
 
“Are you sure you want to attend?”
 
“I wouldn't miss it for the world!” he insisted. “Besides, I want you to meet the rest of my friends!”
 
The law woman felt hungry, and was anxious to sample more Earth cuisine. She ordered Molly to transport them a short walk away from their destination.
 
Several tables had been set up in the Kamishiro's front yard. A steady stream of smoke drifted from the grill as meat patties and links sizzled under the heat. Miina and Karen had lovingly laid out a bountiful spread courtesy of Herikawa Groceries. Miaku, in an exaggerated apron and chef's hat, worked a spatula. Everyone there had already began to work on seconds. Koishi had brought her friend, Mr Yamada who had used them all on his Yama_chan team from time to time. Her cousin, Kintaro had come as well. He stood about average height, had closely cropped hair and wore narrow rimmed golden glasses.
 
Kaede sat in a lawnchair alongside Ichigo, Tsubaki, Kosei, and Haruko. Kei and Mizuho had arrived with the Edajimas and most had used him as their doctor.
 
“I brought some more food,” Konoha said to Miina. She knew the younger girl from her trips to the grocery store.
 
“Thanks,” the younger girl smiled, taking a tray of barbecued chicken legs and a bowl of chilled cucumber salad. Mizuho set down bottles of pop on the beverage table.
 
“Mrs Kusanagi,” Haruko came up to her. “Something happened at the salon to Mr Marie!”
 
“It did?” the red haired teacher asked with concern. She had been trying to summon him all day with the device in her hair.
 
“Yes, another one like him suddenly appeared and hurt him,” the younger Shido mentioned.
 
Mizuho was at a loss for words. A lot of her students regarded him as the school mascot. None of them realized he was an alien artificial life form.
 
“There he is!” Hyosuke shouted, pointing to Matagu, who came walking up the driveway with his tall companion. “Hot damn!”
 
Most of the boys and men there gave Zabaione elevator eyes much to their partner's chagrin.
 
Bounding up to the newly arrived pair, the bleached blond had a goofy look on his face. “You're late? What's kept you two? You swine!” he ribbed his buddy good naturedly.
 
“Zabaione, this is Hyosuke Magumo, my best friend,” the teen introduced. “Hyosuke, Zabaione Costada.”
 
“Charmed,” he spoke eloquently, taking her hand and kissing it. Both she and Matagu blinked.
 
Haruko turned from her conversation with her teacher and stared wide eyed at her brother. She had never beheld him in that light before.
 
“Hey sempai,” Kamishiro called. “How do you two want your burgers?”
 
“Well cooked,” the female marshal answered. She had checked the database for a crash course on cookouts while changing back at the ship.
 
Koishi had goaded Karen into sitting next to her cousin.
 
“But I want to sit with my big brother,” the green haired girl replied stubbornly.
 
“Go ahead, Karen,” Miaku prompted. “I'm still working the grill, get something to eat.”
 
The demure girl took a seat next to the musician. They had been introduced earlier, but she hadn't made too much conversation.
 
“I'm looking forward to hearing you play tonight,” he smiled. “Koishi tells me you're very good.”
 
“Really? I'm a little nervous. It's been almost two years since I've played for an audience,” she remarked.
 
Karen had hurt her hand while attending a prestigious music school. The injury had led to her leaving then seeking out her family here in Nagano. She felt she'd never be the same again, but people had told her that she didn't have to be the absolute best.
 
“What are you playing?” he asked, taking a bite from his hot dog.
 
“You will hear a lot of Chopin tonight,” she grinned.
 
Zabaione kept her guard up. Right in her midst was the bounty, the reason she had ventured so far out. It would have been so simple to have Molly whisk the felon away to a holding cell before she knew what hit her. Yet, something made her want to see the look on her face when she was caught.
 
Kei glanced at his wife, who didn't seem alarmed by the stranger's presence. He hadn't had time to speak to Matagu, who had left the beach in a hurry. He wondered if his lonely friend finally lost the virginity he had been dying to lose. Piling some macaroni salad onto his plate, he didn't want to make something of nothing.
 
“Hi, my name is Haruko Shidou,” the friendly second year student welcomed Zabaione.
 
The lithe bounty hunter afforded her a slight smirk. “Zabaione Costada.”
 
“How do you know my brother?”
 
Matagu stepped in, sweat dropping. “She's an American pen pal of mine!”
 
“Penpal?” the younger sister challenged. “I've never seen a letter from you or a picture before!”
 
“Haruko, give it a rest, I met her online,” he argued.
 
“You never said you'd be having a visitor from America, Shidou,” Ichigo added.
 
“Yeah, you told mom and dad that you were going camping,” Haruko noted.
 
The flustered older brother turned red. “I wanted to surprise you all, that's all.”
 
“You must be used to this American type cuisine then,” Tsubaki addressed Zabaione.
 
The law woman nodded. “Of course.”
 
“How are the sushi restaurants over there?”
 
“I haven't had sushi over here yet as a way to compare,” the alien spoke. “But Japanese natives over there do prepare the food.”
 
“What's foie gras?” Kosei asked with a grin.
 
She gave him a quizzical look.
 
“Hey Mike,” Miina came up to her paramour. “Try some of Konoha's salad!”
 
She took a fork, cupped her other hand under it, then fed some into his mouth.
 
“Good,” he opined with a smile.
 
Karen noticed the exchange, stewed, but remembered she was among guests.
 
“What's wrong?” Kintaro asked.
 
“Oh nothing,” she turned back to him embarrassed.
 
“So, you live here with your brother and Miina?” he questioned.
 
“Yes, it's a long story how we all met,” she replied.
 
Mizuho got to talking with Yamada and the others. She didn't interact at all with Matagu's guest during the entire barbecue which winded down. Karen went upstairs to get ready for her recital. She decided to wear the special dress Miaku had bought her that freshman year. After helping Miina clear the leftover food away, most of the guests left for the school to get seats together at the concert. Kei and his wife got in Minoru's Suzuki XL-7.