Pokemon Fan Fiction / Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Pokémon: Sora's Journey ❯ Showdown in Pewter City ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Episode 5: Showdown in Pewter City

Before you start reading this chapter, I should remind you that Brock will NOT be joining Sora and Kairi on this journey. They'll be some big changes from the official episode and the Pokémon Chronicles episide "A Family that Battles Together Stays Together." That's right! Brock's mother will be in this one. I don't know why it was said that Brock's mom was dead when she was clearly alive. But nowadays, I don't dwell on it so much, and you shouldn't either. Also the first Gym battle will be pretty different as well. And now! On with the show!

Over to Team Rocket, they started digging a hole, hoping that it'll trap Sora, Kairi, and Pikachu at the bottom.

"Jessie, I'm getting tired," James groaned.

"Stop your complaining!" Jessie scolded him. "If we want to capture Pikachu we have to dig up this pit trap pretty fast!"

"That's right!" James agreed. "If they're heading to Pewter City, they'll be coming this way!"

"Meowth! So stop flapping your gums and keep digging!" Meowth said.

Team Rocket kept digging until the hole was deep enough. Then they concealed so well, they couldn't even tell where it is.

"Where's the trap?!" James exclaimed.

"Start looking for it," Jessie said.

"Is it here?"

"Or here?"

"Over here!"

They kept looking for it until they just gave up. They felt the ground move beneath their feet. Before they could look down, they fell right into their own trap.

"Why do I feel like a certain coyote?" James groaned.

"Meep meep..." Meowth said dazed from the fall.

Over to Sora, Kairi, and Pikachu, they finally made it out of Viridian Forest after venturing through for days.

"There it is," Sora said.

"Pewter City," Kairi said also. "This is the first time that I have been here."

"You mean that you never been to Pewter City before?" Sora asked surprised.

"Well no," Kairi admitted. "I've lived in Viridian City my whole life. I have only been out sometimes to go on walks and pick the flowers that grew in them." Kairi smiled as she remembered bringing making a bouquet for her grandmother on her birthday.

"We should hit the Pokémon Center as soon as we get there," Sora said.

"Good idea," Kairi nodded. "Your Pokémon must be pooped." She looked at Pikachu and he nodded in agreement.

Sora and Kairi walked towards the city, so Sora stopped to rest his feet sitting on a nearby rock. Pikachu also took a break.

"Man, it's good to finally sit down after a long walk," Sora said.

"Chu," Pikachu huffed.

"Pewter City is gray," a man's voice spoke. "The color of stone. This town has always been famous for stone."

Sora, Kairi, and Pikachu looked down to see a tanned-skinned bearded man wearing a red bodega hat. His eyes seems to be squinted, it hard to tell if was awake or asleep.

"Who are you, mister?" Sora asked the man.

"The name's Flint," the man introduced himself. "And you're sitting on some of my merchandise, young man."

Sora and Pikachu looked at the rock he was sitting and quickly got off. Kairi giggled at how they jumped off like a cricket on a stick. The kids looks around to see the rocks placed on display.

"Sorry about that," Sora said. "But why all the rocks?"

"They're souvenirs," Flint explained. "I'm sure that you and your girlfriend would like some."

Sora and Kairi blushed and shook his head.

"Uh, no thanks," Sora said. "We're just passing by. But you think that you can point us to this city's Pokémon Center?"

Flint looks over to Pikachu who seems pretty wiped from the journey.

"Just take that road down there," Flint pointed on his right. "Follow it and you'll get there in no time."

"Thanks," Sora and Kairi said at once. Pikachu climbed on Kairi's shoulder and rested for the ride. They started to follow the trail. "He seems nice," Sora said smiling.

"I don't know about that," Kairi said getting a bad feeling.

"Oh, before you go," Flint called to them. They turned to look at them. "There will be a small fee for resting on my rocks."

Sora, Kairi, and Pikachu fell in anime-style. Kairi knew that there was a catch.

"Told you so," Kairi said.

Sora chuckled nervously as an anime sweat drop runs down his head.

"Pika," Pikachu deadpanned.

"I've got this," Kairi paid the man the required amount. It was a good thing for her that she didn't have to pay that much. "That should cover it."

"Thank you kindly, young miss," Flint nodded tipping his hat. He watched the kids walk on the the trail he pointed to them.

They eventually made it to the Pokémon Center as Sora placed Pikachu and three of his Pokéballs on his tray.

"Could you revitalize my Pokémon for me?" Sora asked.

"Yes right away, Sora," the woman asked. Sora looked as his eyes popped to see that it was Nurse Joy.

"Nurse Joy?!" Sora asked in suprise.

"Yes I'm Nurse Joy," the nurse answered him with a smile.

"What you doing here in Pewter City? Did you get transferred or something?" Sora asked not understanding what was going on.

"The Nurse Joy you and Kairi met in Viridian City is my little sister," Nurse Joy explained. "I'm the older Joy."

"Is that right?" Sora asked letting it all sink in.

"Yes," the nurse nodded. "She told me nice things about you. She said that you were a very brave young man." Sora chuckled nervously as he scratched the back of his head. He figured that the younger Joy told her sister what Sora did helping out Kairi and the Pokémon Center. "By the way, have you seen that poster?"

Sora turned to look at what she meant and it was the poster for the Pokémon League being held at the Indigo Plateau. Kairi came in the room with lunch for the two of them. Some sandwiches and a couple of sodas. Kairi looked at Sora looking at the poster.

Kairi walked up to him and tapped his shoulder.

"Oh! Hey!" Sora said.

"Thinking of entering in that tournament?" Kairi asked playfully.

"Yeah I guess," Sora said. "It looks like that it should be fun to compete."

"It's not as simple as you think," a new voice spoke.

Sora and Kairi turned to see a light tanned skinned boy, looking five years older than the two of them. His eyes were squinted as well. He wore an orange shirt with a green vest above it and brown pants with black shoes with white triangle spots.

"And what's that supposed to mean?" Sora asked him.

"If you look at the bottom of the poster it states that you have to travel to different cities in the Kanto region and challenge the eight gym leaders and win the eight gym badges as proof of your victory in order to compete in the Pokémon League," the boy explained walking up to them.

"That should be a piece of cake," Sora said smugly.

"Again it's not that so simple," the boy said. "All the gym leaders will be using a specific type to battle you with. The Pewter City's Gym leader uses Rock Types. And the Pikachu you have will be at a disadvantage because the Gym leader's Pokémon are also Ground Types. Electric attacks won't even phase them."

"How do you know that about my Pikachu?" Sora asked.

"I saw you two come in," the boy said.

"Of course you did," Sora said feeling stupid.

"Just who are you?" Kairi asked him.

"The name's Brock," the boy introduced himself.

"I'm Sora," Sora introduced.

"And I'm Kairi," she also introduced.

"Nice to meet you both," Brock said smiling. "You don't mind if I join you for lunch, do you?"

"Not really," Sora said.

"Nope," Kairi said.

"Great!" Brock beamed.

Brock joining Sora and Kairi sat down at a table enjoying their lunch. Unknown to the three of them. Flint is watching them hoping that he wouldn't be seen. Tears ran down the man's face feeling guilty for some reason.

During their meal, Sora and Kairi explained to Brock about where they're from and how they met. Brock even asked about his necklace. So Sora explained that he is descended from a long line of knights and about it being a symbol of knighthood.

"That's quite a tale," Brock said.

"I know," Sora said. "I had it for as long as I can remember. It was my dad's," Sora said. "And it was his dad's and so on."

"Whatever happened to him?" Brock asked making Sora frown.

"I..." Sora paused. "I don't want to talk about it."

Sora turned away and out the window. Kairi looked at him seeing how painful it sounded. Kairi meant to ask about Sora's father back in Viridian Forest, but never got a chance because of their horsing around.

"I'm sorry," Brock said remorseful. "I didn't mean to ask a painful question." Brock sighed. "I feel for you." That grabbed Sora's attention. "My dad up and left to be a great Pokémon trainer but he never came home."

"I'm not even going to ask you what happened to yours," Sora told Brock.

"You sure that you don't wanna-" Brock was gonna finish asking.

"We just want to respect your privacy," Kairi said.

"Thanks," Brock said. "How about after we get your Pokémon, you two join me and my family for dinner?"

"We don't want to be a bother," Kairi said.

"It's not a problem," Brock said. "I bet you could use a home cooked meal."

It was true that it had been days since they had a home cooked meal since leaving their hometown's. So they nodded.

"Sure," Sora beamed.

"I'm game," Kairi said.

"Great!" Brock smiled.

Sora, Kairi, and Brock returned to the counter of the Pokémon Center to pick up Pikachu, Butterfree, Pidgeotto, and Beedrill.

"Your Pokémon are fighting fit," Nurse Joy beamed.

"Thanks so much!" Sora said when he grabbed his Pokéballs and Pikachu jumped onto Sora's shoulder.

"Pikachu!" Pikachu said.

Brock went up to Nurse Joy and held her hand. His face has tinted pink and hearts formed in his eyes.

"I think that its is wonderful that you're doing such a good thing for his Pokémon!" Brock flirted.

Sora just stared at him confused. One minute he was all cool and stoic, and in the next he starts turning into a lovesick lunatic.

Kairi just giggled at Brock's antics. Brock kept flirting until Nurse Joy's Chansey came in.

"Chansey! Chansey! Chansey!"

"You'll have to excuse me, Brock!" Nurse Joy "An emergency just came up."

Brock hung his head in defeat.

"Brock just got burned," Sora commented.

"Big time," Kairi agreed.

"Pika," Pikachu said.

Brock led them to his house. They looked at the house amazed by its size. It was bigger than Sora's house since it was meant for two people; same can be said about Kairi's. They wondered how many lived in the house.

They got their answer when Brock opened the door and saw nine other kids; five boys and four girls. And also they all shared the appearance.

"I'm home!" Brock announced.

"Welcome home, Brock!" one of the boys greeted. The kids took notice of the new visitors.

"Who are they?" another boy asked.

"Hey look!" one of the girls shouted. "A Pikachu!"

The kids started to crowd them; the boys specifically shown their interest in Kairi. One of the twins clinged to her left leg. The girls shown interest in Sora. The other twin did the same thing.

"Oh wow, you're very beautiful," the second oldest boy complimented.

"You're the prettiest girl that I had ever seen," his brother said.

"Very pretty," two more boys said.

"Goo," the baby boy said.

"Um, thanks?" Kairi giggled nervously.

Sure enough, the apple dosen't fall from the tree. Sora looked down and the girls just stared at him with a look on their faces.

Sora just smiled nervously and patted the girls heads wanted to be nice.

"You're really cute," one the girls said.

"Do you have a girlfriend?" asked another.

"I can be your girlfriend," said the third.

"Goo," the baby girl said.

"That's enough," Brock scolded his siblings. "It's impolite to crowd around our guests like that. Give them some space."

"Aw," the kids groaned. The kids backed away letting them in.

"Sorry about that," Brock apologized. "They get like that when they meet people they may like."

"Kinda like Nurse Joy," Sora said under his breath.

"I should introduce you to them," Brock said as he pointed to each of the kids. "This is Forrest, Salvador, Yolanda, Timmy, Cindy, Suzy, Tommy, and these two are Billy and Tilly."

"I'm Sora," he introduced. "And of course you know that this Pikachu."

"~Sora~"

"And I'm Kairi," she introduced herself. "It's nice to meet you."

"Kairi," the boys said lovestruck. "A very pretty-pretty name."

Before long a woman wearing a pink top and a white long skirt coming down stairs holding a picture frame. She walks towards the wall and hangs it up on the wall.

"What a lovely piece of art," the woman said. "What do you think of this painting?" Brock was about to ask what painting. "The artwork. What do you think of it? It's a Smeargle masterpiece!"

"That's art?" Sora whispered to Kairi.

"It looks more like it was just splashed on," Kairi whispered.

"Where did you get that by chance?" Brock asked.

"I bought it at this darling little market!" the woman said. "I'm thinking of becoming an art connoisseur!"

Brock started to point out some things, "You know, just last week you were studying astrological science. And the week before that you were learning how to yodel."

"Oh that was loads of fun!" she beamed. The woman took note of the two kids and Pikachu in the same room. "Oh, we have company. I'm sorry! I didn't notice you there! My name is Lola! And in case that you didn't figure it out, I'm the children's mother. Welcome to our happy home!"

"Nice to meet you," Kairi said.

"And thanks for having us," Sora smiled.

"Pika Pika," Pikachu said.

"Well any friend of Brock's is always welcomed here," Lola said before she took one good look at Sora. Lola gasped as she rushed to the boy. Before Sora could ask what was wrong she took a look at his left arm. "Oh my! You poor dear! You look like you're nothing but skin and bones!"

Pikachu went onto Kairi's shoulder as she giggled at Lola fussing over Sora like he was one of her own kids.

"We should get you something to eat right away," Lola said. "That'll put some meat on those bones."

"Uh, thanks, ma'am," Sora said as she dragged him in the kitchen.

"Well I should help out," Brock said. "I need to get dinner started anyway."

"You don't mind if I lend a hand, do you?" Kairi asked wanting to help.

"You shouldn't go through all the trouble," Brock said. "Besides, you and Sora are our guests."

"Well, it's just I want Sora to eat the food that I prepare for him," Kairi stated. Brock smiled and nodded.

"Sure thing, Kairi," Brock said.

A little while later, the family and the guests were seated at the table. Pikachu, Pidgeotto, Butterfree, and Beedrill eating the Pokémon food that Brock had prepared for them.

As they all ate, Brock explained to Sora and Kairi that Lola had taken up so many interests and hobbies she often left home to go to school, leaving Brock to cook and clean for his brothers and sisters, it somehow began a habit for him even when mother was home. Brock presented to them is a thick beef stew containing potatoes, carrots and some spices for extra flavor. Sided with biscuits as soft as a cloud. And a salad consisted with chopped lettuce, tomatoes, golden crutons, and sliced red onions.

Sora's looked at the stew that was prepared for him Sora took on spoonful and his tastebuds were in heaven.

"Wow!" Sora exclaimed. "This is amazing! My mom should totally have this recipe, Brock!"

"Thanks," Brock smiled. "I'm glad that you like it, but I didn't make it."

Sora looked at Lola who shook her head telling him that it wasn't her either.

"I made it," Kairi said. "it's my gradma's recipe. She would make it on a cold day."

Sora was amazed that Kairi went through the trouble to cook for him. Sora smiled at her.

"Well, I have to say that it's the best stew that I ever had," Sora said before he took another spoonful.

Kairi was so happy to hear Sora say that. She wanted to cook more for Sora, wanting to see that satisfying look on his face everyday.

Sora pretty full from his meal landed on the bed in the guest room procided for him letting out a loud sigh of satisfaction. Pikachu land on the bed with the same satisfaction. But Sora knew that there was only one thing to do. He had to train for his upcoming battle with the Gym Leader.

"Pikachu," Pikachu said.

"We should start thinking of a strategy to win our first battle," Sora said.

"Pikachu," Pikachu nodded. "We should head outside and do some serious training."

"Pika!" Pikachu agreed.

Sora stepped out to do some serious training, when unknown to him and Pikachu, he was being watched by Flint.

Sora found a river and decided to train there. Pikachu called out Pidgeotto, Butterfree, and Beedrill. Sora worked on training for hours. Butterfree had learned how to use Psybeam while Beedrill had learned to use Poison Jab.

Sora stops training when he heard a rustling in the bushes. Sora turned to look and only to see Flint coming out of the hiding place.

"You're that guy selling rocks, aren't you?" Sora recognized him.

"I am," Flint said. "And I am here to help you out."

"Help me out with what?" Sora asked not understanding.

"For your battle against the Pewter City's Gym Leader," Flint told him.

"You helping me out?" Sora tilted his head being skeptical. "What kind of help."

"With a piece of advice," Flint said. "Most of your Pokémon are weak against Rock Type moves and Pikachu is weak against Ground Types. But your Pikachu and Pidgeotto can learn Steel Type moves."

"Steel Type moves?" Sora asked him.

"That's right," Flint said. "Pikachu can learn Iron Tail and Pidgeotto can learn Steel Wing. That way, you are guaranteed for a victory."

Sora thought about for a moment, but he knew that Flint was right. Butterfree and Beedrill are Bug Types and he knew that Bug Types don't do so well against Rock Types. The same can be said for Flying Types. Sora just had one question on his mind.

"Why all the free advice?" Sora asked. "What's the catch?"

"No catch," Flint answered. "I have my own reasons."

Sora turned to Pikachu and Pidgeotto, knowing that they should learn something new.

"Pikachu. Pidgeotto," Sora said. "It's time to learn Steel Wing and Iron Tail!" Sora turned around "Thanks for the hea-" Flint was gone. "Where'd he go?"

Sora just shrugged and started practicing. Pikachu lifted his tail and tried to slam it into a rock, while Pidgeotto did the same with another.

Brock was strolling by when he spotted Sora training with his Pikachu and Pidgeotto. Brock new all too well where this was going. Brock left Sora and his Pokémon be and let them continue in peace.

After a couple of hours Pikachu finally mastered Iron Tail. Pikachu's tail glowed as it was made of solid metal. His tail shattered the rock incredibly hard, causing it to split in half. Pidgeotto had finally mastered Steel Wing. Pidgeotto's wing had sliced through the top of the rock like it was cake.

Sora was feeling confident that he will win his first Gym battle. Sora and Pikachu made it back to the house to get some sleep. He needed rest for the upcoming day. Sora fell right to sleep as soon as he shut his eyes.

On the very next morning, Sora and Pikachu had gotten up and prepared for his first Gym battle. Sora came down stairs only to see that it was partly deserted. The only one still present was Kairi.

"Hey Kairi," Sora said. "Where is everyone?"

"They said that they had something to do today," Kairi answered. "So Lola gave me the house key when we leave for the Gym."

"And that's exactly what we're going to do!" Sora stated before his stomach grumbled. "As soon as we have something to eat first."

Kairi giggled as she shook her head. Sora and Kairi and a bowl of cereal while Pikachu had some Pokémon food Brock had prepared for Pikachu."

As soon as they were done eating, Sora, Kairi, and Pikachu made it to the Pewter City Gym. The building itself looks impressive. It definitely looked like something that a Rock Type could train in. They entered the Gym. Sora looked around and he could see that the place was empty.

"Anybody here?" Sora called out. "I'm Sora and I'm here to challenge the Gym Leader to a battle!"

"Welcome to the Pewter City Gym," a familiar voice called back.

Sora and Kairi were confused when they recognized that voice. The lights turns on to reveal Brock.

"Brock?!" Sora asked shocked. "What you doing here?"

"I have been waiting for you, Sora," Brock said. "I have been looking forward for this. And now we'll see if your training has paid off."

"Wait a minute," Kairi spoke up. "You mean that-"

Brock nodded as he stood up.

"That's right," Brock answered. "I am the Gym Leader of the Pewter City Gym, Brock!"

Sora and Kairi were shocked that the boy who just welcomed them in his home is the Gym Leader.

"No way," Sora said in shock.

"We will have a two on two battle," Brock said.

Sora smiled getting over his shock.

"Yeah let's do this," Sora said.

Kairi just stood there worried. She knew Sora's Pidgeotto, Beedrill, and Butterfree weren't good choices against Rock Types. She had to root for Sora. She figured that he already got something up his sleeve. The ground below them opens to a rocky battlefield. Forrest steps up holding two flags one being red and the other being green. Forrest is acting as judge for the battle.

Forrest announced, "The battle of Brock, the Pewter City Gym Leader and Sora of Pallet Town is about to begin! Both trainers will be using two Pokémon! In accordance to the rules of the Pokémon League, only the challenger is allowed to make substitutions! The battle will be over if neither of the trainer's Pokémon is able to battle! Begin!" Forrest raises the flags.

"Geodude! Go!" Shouted Brock when he took out a Pokéball and threw it. The Pokéball lets out a Pokémon looking like a gray boulder-like Pokémon with its hands being fisted.

"Geodude!"

Sora pulled his Pokédex and pointed at Geodude.

Geodude, the Rock Pokémon

Type: Rock/Ground

It climbs mountain paths using only the power of its arms. Because they look just like boulders lining paths, hikers may step on them without noticing. They even bash against each other in a contest to prove whose is harder.

Sora puts his Pokédex away and pulls out Pidgeotto's Pokéball.

"Pidgeotto! I choose you!" Sora called out letting out Pidgeotto. Pidgeotto flies up in the air.

"I was afraid of this," Kairi said to herself.

"A Pidgeotto against my Geodude?" Brock scoffed. "You should know that you're at a real disadvantage!"

"You'll be in for a big surprise," Sora said smugly.

Kairi was confused with what he said. She wondered what Sora is planning.

"Surprise me," Brock goaded. "Geodude! Mega Punch!"

"Geodude!" Geodude floated towards the bird Pokémon pulling its fist back and sends forward for a powerful hit.

"Pidgeotto! Dodge and use Gust!" Sora ordered. Pidgeotto obeyed and started creating a powerful wind. The attack did little damage and Geodude missed.

"Don't let it get away!" Brock said. "Hit it with Rock Throw!" Geodude swung his arms creating smaller rocks. As the name suggested, Geodude threw its arms at Pidgeotto. Pidgeotto barely dodged the assault, but it did some serious damage.

"Alright Pidgeotto! Dive with Quick Attack!" Pidgeotto flew at a fast speed hitting the rock Pokémon. Kairi watched as she knew those attacks did little damage. Sora remained confident that his strategy would work. "Now use Steel Wing!"

"Steel Wing?" Kairi asked.

"Steel Wing?!" Brock gasped.

Pidgeotto's wings gave a metallic glow as he flew at his opponent.

"Geodude! Get out of there!" Geodude tries to get away, but Pidgeotto was too quick. Pidgeotto landed the blow to Geodude, dealing heavy damage. Geodude went flying into one of the rocks on the battlefield.

Kairi was awestruck. She knew that Pidgeotto didn't know that move before. Pidgeotto had to learn it just recently.

Geodude was down, but not out. Geodude floated back up ready to attack.

"Geodude!" Brock called. "Smack Down!" Geodude threw a small rock right at Pidgeotto making him fall to the ground. "Now use Magnitude!"

"Geodude!" Geodude punched the ground pretty hard. The ground began to shake, and Kairi tries to keep her balance. Pidgeotto felt the damage dealt onto him. The Magnitude was a level of 7. "Now give one last Mega Punch to finish it!" Geodude charged at Pidgeotto with its fist in the air with ferocity.

"Pidgeotto!" Sora called. "Use your Steel Wing to wrap this up!" Pidgeotto went running charging at Geodude with both wings in play.

Geodude and Pidgeotto clashed their moves making it seem that they had missed one another. Both Pokémon just stood their for a moment not moving an inch.

Kairi watched very anxiously with her hands in prayer while Brock's mother and other siblings had already entered at some point watching at some point. A few seconds later, both Pidgeotto and Geodude fell to the ground, earning a double knockout.

"Geodude and Pidgeotto are unable to battle!" Forrest said raising both flags. "The battle is tied!"

"Geodude! Return!" Brock held up Geodude's Pokéball calling it back. "You did great. You deserve a nice long rest."

"Return Pidgeotto!" Sora calls Pidgeotto back to his Pokéball. "Great job, Pidgeotto. You should rest up for a while."

Sora puts the Pokéball to his side.

"Hey Sora!" Brock called. "I was impressed by what you just did! You having your Pidgeotto using Steel Wing took me off guard. But this battle isn't over yet!" Brock took out another Pokéball.

"You got that right!" Sora said grinning as he agreed.

"Now! Onix! Go!" Brock called throwing the Pokéball. The Pokéball lets out an Onix. Onix roars as it awaits for its trainer's instructions.

Sora pulled out his Pokédex again and pointed it towards Onix

Onix, the Rock Snake Pokémon

Type: Rock/Ground

Onix has a magnet in its brain. It acts as a compass so that this Pokémon does not lose direction while it is tunneling. As it grows older, its body becomes increasingly rounder and smoother.

Sora puts his Pokédex away and looks at Pikachu.

"You ready Pikachu?" Sora asked the yellow Pokémon.

"Pika!" Pikachu before he ran to the battlefield.

Kairi was really worried. She clearly knew that Onix has the type advantage in this one.

"Onix looks way too strong," Kairi thought to herself. "How is Pikachu going to manage a win, unless..." Kairi paused when a thought popped in her head. "Pikachu knows a move that really can hit it."

"Begin!" Forrest shouted.

"Onix! Tackle, let's go!" Brock ordered. Onix dove at Pikachu confident to land a hit due to its size.

"Pikachu! Dodge with Quick Attack!" Sora ordered. Pikachu ran across the battlefield using the boulders as a sleed boost. Onix missed and hit the boulder Pikachu had just lifted off of. Onix kept did the same to some of the other boulders with the same results. Pikachu tried again only this time, Pikachu was caught in the blast. Pikachu goes flying and hits the ground.

"Use Bind on Pikachu!" Onix grabbed the mouse Pokémon by its tail squeezing him tightly.

"Pika," Pikachu said being squeezed.

"Pikachu! Thunder Shock!" Pikachu let out Thunder Shock, but it didn't do any damage at all.

"Sora!" Kairi called to Sora. "Electric attacks won't work because Onix is a Ground Type!"

"I know!" Sora said. "I got an idea!"

"What idea?!" Kairi asked.

Sora turned to Kairi with a smile. "You'll see."

Brock's siblings were rooting for Onix. But Lola just looked at the challenger's face. She wondered what he was smiling about.

"Thunder Shock again! Aim for the eyes!" Sora ordered.

"PIKACHU!" Pikachu did exactly that when the shock hits Onix in the eyes. The attack hits its cue causing Onix to go temporarily blind. Onix lets go of Pikachu.

"Run up Onix's head and use Iron Tail!" Sora ordered.

Pikachu ran across Onix's body with his tail in a metallic glow. Kairi's worries started to fade when she witness it.

"Could that be what he had in mind?" Kairi asked herself.

"Onix! Shake Pikachu off!" Onix tried to do so, but Pikachu was running too fast. Pikachu reaches Onix head and smacks the giant Pokémon with the force of the tail attack. The did serious damage. Onix roars as it falls to its side. Pikachu gets off, but Onix gets back up. "Onix! Use Dig!" Onix was about to dive into the ground only when static electricity started to fizz from Onix's body. Onix was paralyzed. "Pikachu's Static ability must have kicked in while Onix had Pikachu in Bind," Brock thought as sweat ran down his face.

Sora and Kairi noticed how sluggish the rocky Pokémon was moving. Sora figured since Onix being paralyzed wouldn't be able to attack much as often.

"Okay Pikachu! Quick Attack!" Sora ordered. Pikachu ran pretty fast at Onix. Onix tries to swing Pikachu away with its tail, but Pikachu dodges with ease due to the paralysis. Pikachu jumps high in the air. Brock was caught off guard with that. "Iron Tail!"

"Pika! Pika! Pika!" Pikachu swung his tail in a circle. Pikachu landed an extremely powerful blow to the head. The Gym went silent. Kairi, Forrest, and the rest of Brock's family watched anxiously waiting for the results. Pikachu lands on his feet. Sora and Brock stood there with anticipation. After a few seconds, Onix falls to the ground knocked out.

Kairi couldn't believe what she just saw. A small Pikachu just beaten a giant Pokémon. Brock's other siblings started to cry because their big brother just lost.

Forrest raises the green flag.

"Onix is unable to battle!" Forrest announced. "Pikachu wins! The match goes to Sora Ketchum of Pallet Town!"

"I won!" Sora said in a low tone. "I WON!"

"Pi Pikachu!" Pikachu cheered.

Brock calls Onix back to its Pokéball while smiling even though he lost.

"You battled well, Onix," Brock said. "You deserve a good long rest."

Everyone stepped outside of the Gym while Sora revels in his victory.

"That was a pretty epic battle, Sora," Kairi cheered for him. "I wasn't sure if you would win. But you gave it your all."

Sora smiled with hands behind his head.

"I wasn't sure that I would win," Sora said.

"But you did," Brock said. Sora turned to Brock holding a small box. The box opens to reveal a small rock shaped badge. "As accordingly to the rules of the Pokémon League I hearby reward you with the Boulder Bage as proof of your victory at the Pewter Gym."

Sora smiled as he accepted the badge.

"Thanks Brock," Sora said. "For that awesome battle!"

"I enjoyed that battle just the same as you did," Brock said.

Before Sora, Kairi, and Pikachu could take their leave the group spotted a man trying to sneak off.

"Hey you!" Brock called out. "What you doing there!"

"I was just passinging by!" Flint stammered. Lola, Brock, and the rest of the kids recognized his voice.

"Flint?" Lola asked.

"Dad?" Brock asked.

"DAD?!" Sora and Kairi exclaimed at once.

"Pika?" Pikachu was also on a loss.

"I am not who you think I am," Flint lied. "So just forget that you saw me and..."

Brock ran up to his father and tore off the fake beard and hat. Sora and Kairi were wide eyed just finding out that the man running the souvenir shop was infact the good-for-nothing father who just ran off and never came back. And what shocked Sora the most is that he helped him out with a piece of advice.

"Come on Dad! You think that I wouldn't know my own father's voice?!" Brock roared. "You got a lot of nerve for running out on us like that!"

"I know! And I'm sorry!" Flint admitted.

"Flint," Lola said walking up to her husband. "Why did you run off on me and the children? Please tell that."

"Because I was ashamed and embarrassed," Flint admitted crying. "I tried to be a great Pokémon trainer, but my efforts were in vain, so I didn't want to come home a failure! That's why I stayed away." Flint dropped to his knees and begged to his wife. "You took up so many interests and hobbies I thought that you were bored with me."

Lola could hear the sadness in her husband's voice she started to hug him tightly.

"Don't be silly, hun," Lola said comforting. "When we first met in our first Pokémon battle, I knew that you were the one for me. The one thing that I never lost interest in was you. And you're not a failure. You'll always be a success in my eyes."

Kairi just stood there with teary eyes watching a husband and wife rekindle after being apart, while Sora was still shocked.

"Oh Lola!" Flint cried.

"My sweet Flint!" Lola said.

They held each other's hands as they looked into each other's eyes. Sora shook off his shocked expression and ran up to them.

"Just wait a minute!" Sora finally spoke. "There's one thing that bugging me. And it's going to keep bugging me if I don't ask."

"What?" Flint asked.

"Why did you help me out?" Sora asked. "Why did you give me advice on beating your own son?"

Kairi, Brock, and the other nine kids looked Flint wanting to know the same thing.

"Well, I just took one look at you and you reminded me of me at your age," Flint said. This caused to smile. "You just looked pretty green."

Sora did an Anime-style fall at that statement. This just made the kids start laughing.

"Also why did you run a souvenir shop just outside of town?" Kairi asked.

"I just needed the money to buy food," Flint answered.

And that made a lot more sense.

The whole family got together for the first time after Flint being away and they invited Sora and Kairi to join the celebration, but the kids were just looking at their parents feeding each other and making lovey dovey noises. Kairi was looking at them sweetly while Sora just ate his meal enjoying his dinner.

"Mom, Dad come on," Tommy said.

"We're at the table," Cindy said.

And this went on throughout the meal.

On the next moring Sora and Kairi took their leave by saying goodbye to Brock and his family.

"You kids can make your way to Cerulean City by making it over Mount Moon," Flint said to them. "It should take you two at least less than a day."

"Thanks," Sora said.

"You've been such good hosts," Kairi said.

"Pika Pi," Pikachu said.

"Just take of yourselves out there," Brock said.

"We will," Kairi said.

Sora, Kairi, and Pikachu waved goodbye to the big family smiling and waving. The boys were sad to see Kairi leave; just the same the girls were sad to see Sora leave. But Brock knew that it was only a matter of time before they bounced back.

Flint and Lola looked at Sora and Kairi smiling warmly at them. They could tell that there was a spark between the two of them. It reminded them of their younger days.

Meanwhile over to Team Rocket. They dug their way back to Virdian Forest.

"Finally!" James panted. "We made it!"

They all looked around and something seemed awfully familiar to them. They got of the hole and looked around.

"This doesn't look like Pewter City to me," Jessie said.

"I don't remember that many trees in a city either," James pointed out.

"Meowth! We're not in Pewter City at all!"

"What do you mean?" Jessie asked when they looked around and saw that they were in the Beedrill nest. The Beedrill attacked them again yelping in pain as they started to run for their lives once again.

"Why couldn't we have ended up being stepped on like in the Anime?!" James shouted running.

"At least that is safer for us!" Jessie yelled.

"Stop breaking the fourth wall and run!" Meowth called out.

How was that for a change? The next one will soon be underway! So stay tuned!