Pokemon Fan Fiction / Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Pokémon: Sora's Journey ❯ Electric Shock Showdown ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Episode 13: Electric Shock Showdown

Sora, Kairi, and Pikachu had finally made it to Vermilion City just after several days. Before that, along the way, they stopped by a lighthouse occupied by a young Pokémon researcher named Bill. Bill ends trapped a costume of a prehistoric Pokémon called a Kabuto. Bill tells them that it was for research purposes, but he ended trapped inside it, but he would been there much longer if they didn't come along. Bill explains to them that there are currently more than 800 species known to the world, yet the discoveries are boundless. Bill also explained about the Pokémon types, and living habits in the regions that they are only indigenous to.

Sora, Kairi, and Pikachu got to the Vermillion City Pokémon Center and checked into the Vermilion City Pokémon Center to give the Pokémon proper rest.

"My Pokémon are exhausted, so I was wondering if you would fix them up for me?" Sora asked.

"Of course," Nurse Joy said. "We'll have your Pikachu fixed up."

"And also you related to the Nurse Joy in Cerulean City?" Sora asked the nurse.

"Oh yes," she answered with a smile. "She's my older sister. And I know what you're thinking; yes we're all nurses and we're all named Joy."

"That's one family tree," Sora said finally understanding.

"Yeah," Kairi said also getting it.

Just as she took the Pokémon to be treated, a boy came in with a Chansey pushing a stretcher with an injured Rattata on it.

"Hang in there, Rattata!" the boy said running along.

"That Rattata dosen't look so good," Sora said.

"What happened to Rattata ended up in that condition?" Kairi asked concerned.

"I can only guess that that boy and his Rattata went up against Lt. Surge and lost," Nurse Joy said. "This is the fifteenth one this month!"

"Lt. Surge?" Sora asked.

"He's the Gym Leader of the Vermilion City Gym," Nurse Joy confirmed with a nod. "He specializes in Electric Types. And he's pretty tough."

"So an Electric gym," Sora said stroking his chin. "Sounds like it may be a hard one."

"The one sure way to beat Surge would be a Ground Type, but you don't have any," Kairi pointed out.

"I know," Sora said. "But as soon as Pikachu and the others are healed, I'll do some training. And after that, we'll see where that goes."

Kairi was starting to worry. She had a bad feeling that Sora may lose the match even with his training. But she had to have faith in him.

Back to training, Pikachu Practices with a series of Quick Attacks, but that disturbs a Sandshrew taking a nap. Sandshrew comes at Pikachu by swiping his claws at the yellow mouse Pokémon. Pikachu hits Sandshrew pretty hard with his Iron Tail. Sandshrew falls on its back in a daze. Sora threw a Pokéball at the wild Pokémon trapping it inside. Stars swirls around the Pokéball confirming the catch and transfers right to Professor Oak's lab.

Sora made it back to the Pokémon Center in the room he was sharing with Kairi.

"How did your training go?" Kairi asked.

"It went good," Sora said. "I caught myself a Sandshrew."

"And I missed that?" Kairi pouted.

"Sorry about that. You'll meet it soon enough," Sora said. Sora gave Professor Oak a call and asked to Sandshrew in exchange of one of his. He exchanged Butterfree. Sora lets the mice Pokémon out so that Kairi can meet it.

"Sandshrew," Sora spoke. "This is Kairi. Kairi meet Sandshrew."

"Oh he's cute!" Kairi gushed. Sora smiled seeing how Kairi took a shine to the new addition of the team. Sandshrew seems very different from AJ's Sandshrew and a little smaller. "So what's the strategy you got in mind?"

"I was thinking of using Sandshrew for this," Sora answered. "A Type edge is what I need for this."

"Smart move," Kairi said. "But it still won't be a walk in the park."

"You're right," Sora nodded.

Sora and Kairi went to check on Pikachu since the training he did and the fight with Sandshrew. Pikachu enjoys the apples provided by Nurse Joy.

"Is that good, buddy?" Sora asked.

"Pikachu," Pikachu answered.

"That's great!" Sora said. "Now that you're at a hundred percent, we have ourselves a Gym battle to win!"

"Please hurry!" A young male voice called.

A Chansey ran in pushing a stretcher with an injured Pidgey on it. Pikachu looked at the Pidgey and started to have second thoughts on the matter.

"Pika!" Pikachu shouted.

"What's the matter now?" Sora asked.

"Pika, Pika, Pikachu!" Pikachu said.

"You're telling me that you don't want to go to battle now?" Sora asked with Pikachu's sudden change of heart.

"Pika," Pikachu nodded.

"Why not?" Sora asked.

"Pika, Pika, Pika, Pikachu!" Pikachu said pointing to the injured Pidgey.

"You're worried that you'll end up being beaten like that Pidgey?" Sora asked.

"Pikachu!" Pikachu nodded.

"I get it," Sora started, "but I have have faith in you! I know you're going to win that battle. Now let's get going!"

"Pika!" Pikachu said trying to get out of Sora's arms.

"C'mon Pikachu!" Sora tried to reason. "Stop squirming! You're not making it any easier for me!" Kairi looked at the two, being worried about how it'll turn out. Pikachu gave Sora quite a shock. Sora fell on his back and sighs. "Let's just sleep on it since it's late."

The very next morning, Sora, Kairi, and Pikachu stood outside the Vermilion City Gym. They walked up to the doors and opens to see a man and woman wearing military attaire. The man wore a black leather jacket and no shirt.

They look back and call to the Gym Leader, "Hey boss! Another challenger for the emergency room!"

"Which one?" Another voice called back. Soa and Kairi just looked at a large muscular looking man wearing the same military uniform as the other two, but this guy wire indicating he's at a higher ranking.

"This guy is huge," Kairi said feeling intimidated by the man's size. Sora had to guess this is the Gym Leader, Lt. Surge.

"Welcome to the Vermilion Gym!" Surge greeted giving Kairi a bear hug. He takes a look at her. "It looks like my next challenger is a cute little girl. Well cute or not, I'm not gonna go easy on ya!"

"Well I'm not the challenger," Kairi said smiling nervously.

"Hm? Then who?" Surge asked confused.

"That'll be me!" Sora stated.

Surge looks at Sora and lets go of Kairi. He stands on his feet and pats Sora on his head.

"Oh you!" Surge said. "Okay, baby! You've got a challenge!"

"Who are you calling baby?!" Sora snapped at the Gym Leader swatting his hand away. "The name is Sora! Sora Ketchum from Pallet Town!"

"That's what I call everyone who loses to me," Lt. Surge said. He took note of Pikachu and laughs. "Oh he has a Pikachu too! Suitable for a baby!"

Lt. Surge and his staff laughs taunting him.

"Hey quit it!" Sora said. "Why are you making fun of my Pikachu?"

"Pika, Pika!"

"Here's why!" Surge said taking out a Pokéball. "Go Raichu!"

The Pokéball reveals a Pokémon that is similar to Pikachu, but larger. It has dark-orange fur and a yellow belly. The ears are bifurcated and are brown and the inside is yellow. Raichu has yellow pouches on its cheeks and donned a long thin tail with the tip being lightning bolt shaped.

"A Raichu?" Sora said pulling out his Pokédex.

Raichu, the Mouse Pokémon

The evolved form of Pikachu

Type: Electric

This Pokémon exudes a weak electrical charge from all over its body that makes it take on a slight glow in darkness. Raichu plants its tail in the ground to discharge electricity.

Pikachu glares at Raichu wanting to battle quickly getting over his fear from last night. Raichu looked at its pre-evolved form and scoffed. Kairi looked at the two mice Pokémon and she could really see sparks fly; literally.

"Okay, baby!" Lt. Surge taunted. "If you wanna quit, now's your chance!"

"I am not quitting!" Sora said.

"Ha! What good will a pip squeak like that do?" Lt. Surge scoffed. "You should make your Pokémon evolve as soon as you catch it; especially if ya wanna become a Pokémon Master!"

"There's way more to it than making a Pokémon evolve!" Sora stated. "Pikachu is fine the way he is!"

Surge and his staff laughs at Sora's claim.

"Wrong baby!" Lt. Surge said. "Pokémon can only get stronger if they're at their fully evolved stage! That's the policy I live by. And even if Pikachu is evolved from a Pichu, it's still a baby in my book!"

Pikachu was more determined now.

Kairi had some serious doubts that Pikachu can win against his evolved form, since Raichu is a stronger Pokémon than Pikachu, and he looks like he knows stronger attacks.

"Don't lose your cool, Sora," Kairi reminded him.

"Okay baby did pwecise just come here to show off his wittle pet?" Surge taunted.

"I came here to win a badge!" Sora exclaimed. "And that's what I'm going to do! Right Pikachu?"

"Pika!" Pikachu said.

"That's the spirit!" Sora said. "What did I tell you? Not quitting."

"Ah well," the Gym Leader said as he and his Raichu shrugged. "Looks like I'll have to teach you that playing with the big boys can be a shocking experience!"

Sora and Lt. Surge stared into each other prepared forbthe battle. One of Surge's staff acts as a referee for the battle.

"The battle between Sora Ketchum from Pallet Town and the Gym Leader Lt. Surge is about to start! The trainers will be using two Pokémon each. Only the challenger will be allowed to switch Pokémon. The battle will be over if both of either trainer's Pokémon is unable to battle! Begin!"

Sora pulls out a Pokéball and throws it in the air.

"Sandshrew! Go!" Sora shouted letting the Ground Type out. Sandshrew stands his ground getting ready for battle.

"A Sandshrew, huh?" Lt. Surge said unimpressed. "That's a smart move, I'll give ya that. But it dosen't mean that it'll win! Raichu! Go!"

"Rai!" Raichu enters the battle.

"Sandshrew! Use Slash now!" Sora ordered. Sandshrew charged at Raichu with his claws ready to hit its mark.

"Raichu! Use Mega Punch!" Surge ordered. Raichu punches Sandshrew pretty hard sendisending him back. Sora and Kairi gasped as they witnessed that. "Now use Mega Kick!" Raichu delivered a devastating kick to the sandy Pokémon. The force of the two attacks was too much for Sora's newest Pokémon.

"Aah! Sandshrew!" Sora said staring wide eyed to what he saw.

"Sandshrew is unable to battle!" The referee announced. "Raichu wins!"

"Rai, Raichu!" Raichu called out.

"I was afraid this would happen," Kairi said in her thoughts. "Even with the Type advantage, Sandshrew still lost."

"If you wanna call it quits, baby; now's the time," Surge taunted the spiky-headed boy again.

"Get real!" Sora shot back. "The battle's not over yet!" Sora looked at Pikachu. "Pikachu! Now your chance!"

Pikachu waited to hear that. Pikachu waited patiently for this chance. Pikachu wanted to show Raichu that evolution isn't everything.

"Go Pikachu!" Sora called out. "Thunderbolt!"

"Pikachu!" Pikachu fired his electric attack at his opponent; but Raichu just took the hit, not in the least bit bothered by the shocks.

"Pi?!" Pikachu gasped.

"It didn't do anything?!" Sora also gasped.

"Raichu! Show them a real Thunderbolt!" Surge ordered.

"Rai-CHU!" Raichu let out its own Thunderbolt hitting Pikachu sending him back.

"Pikachu!" Kairi cried out.

Pikachu fell to the ground.

"It's over baby!" Surge said.

"Sora! Call Pikachu back!" Kairi said.

"What? Why?!" Sora asked.

"Pikachu can't win like this!" Kairi said. "Raichu is way too strong!"

Sora sighed as he knew she was right.

"Okay," Sora said nodding. "Pikachu! Return!"

Pikachu slowly stood on his feet and looked at his trainer.

"Pikachu," the yellow mouse Pokémon refused.

"What?!" Sora exclaimed.

"Pikachu still wants to fight?!" Kairi asked surprised.

"It's pretty gutsy for a toy," Surge said. Pikachu charged at Raichu again.

"Pikachu stop!" Sora ordered. Pikachu ignored his trainer and kept going.

"I enjoyed playing with toys," Surge said. "But playtime is over. Raichu! Use Mega Punch!" Raichu's Mega Punch stops Pikachu in his tracks. "Follow with Mega Kick!" Raichu's Mega Kick hurled Pikachu into the ground. "Iron Tail!" Raichu swung its own Iron Tail, hitting Pikachu on the back.

"Pikachu!" Sora shouted.

Kairi just covered his eyes not wanting to see Pikachu get hurt more so than he already is.

The Gym Leader gave a big grin as he became determined to end it right now.

"Now it's time for the big finale!" Surge said. "One more Thunderbolt!"

"Raichu!" Raichu shouted letting out a powerful Thunderbolt attack. Pikachu took the full force of the attack. This was more electricity than Pikachu could handle. Pikachu was down for the count.

"Pikachu is unable to battle," the referee announced. "Raichu wins. That means the Gym Leader wins the battle!"

Sora fell to his knees. He lost. Even with a Ground Type like Sandshrew, he lost the first round. And Pikachu lost the battle.

Later in the Pokémon Center, Sora stood beside Pikachu and Sandshrew. Kairi came into the room with a couple of cold drinks. Kairi moved one on his cheek to grab his attention.

"Have some iced tea," Kairi said. "It'll help make you feel better."

"Thanks Kairi," Sora said taking the cold drink into his hand.

Sora opened his iced tea and took a small sip. Kairi felt sad for Sora, seeing him beside his first and latest Pokémon. She placed her hand on her shoulder.

"Sora?" Kairi spoke. "Are you upset over that you lost the battle? You can't win every battle, you know."

"Yeah I know," Sora said before taking another sip. "That's not what's bothering me."

"What is it then?" Kairi asked.

"It's just I can't believe Pikachu disobeyed me like that," Sora said. "I tried to forfeit the battle, but Pikachu just ignored me. You were right. Pikachu couldn't win like that."

"I understand," Kairi said comforting him. "I just wish I knew what Pikachu was trying to prove."

Pikachu's ears twitched as he stirred awake. Sandshrew even groaned when waking up as well.

"Pikachu, Sandshrew!" Sora cried. "I'm glad to see you're both okay!"

"Pika," Pikachu said before facing the window.

"Pikachu's pride is hurt bigtime," Sora said

"You're right," Kairi agreed. "Pikachu did his best against that Raichu; but Raichu got the best of him."

"And if I can't use Sandshrew for this battle, then how am I going to establish a win?" Sora asked.

"There's only one way," a familiar voice called up. Sora and Kairi turned to see Nurse Joy in the doorway holding a small box. "I'm sorry, I overheard your conversation."

"How can I win?" Sora asked the nurse.

"A while ago I just happen to stumble upon this," she opens the box to reveal a green stone with a lightning bolt marked.

"A Thunderstone?" Sora asked in disbelief. "You mean the way to do it is to make Pikachu evolve into a Raichu?"

Pikachu turned away from the window and looked at Sora with the Thunderstone in his hand.

"You should think about the decision you make very carefully, Sora," Kairi said. "Evolution is a one-way thing. Once Pikachu evolves, he can't change back."

"I know," Sora said. "If Pikachu does evolve, then Pikachu will be strong enough. But I use it just to win a fight, then I'm no different from Surge."

"Pikachu will never be the same," Kairi pointed out.

"She's right," Nurse Joy added.

"But it's not going to be my decision," Sora said. Nurse Joy was confused by what he meant. "It's going to be Pikachu's." He went over to Pikachu holding the Thunderstone in front of him. "What's it going to be, Pikachu? Will you evolve into a Raichu to beat Lt. Surge? Or will you stay the way you are? I'm not going to force you to do what you don't want to do, I promise you that."

Pikachu looks at Sora and then at the stone in his trainer's hand. Pikachu weakly gets up.

"Don't strain yourself, Pikachu," Kairi said. "You should save your strength."

"Sandshrew," Sandshrew said.

Pikachu took a moment to think it over before he made his final decision. Pikachu swung the Thunderstone from Sora's hand.

"Pikachu?" Sora wondered.

"Pika, Pika, Pikachu! Pi, Pika, Pi, Pikachu!" Pikachu said.

"Are you saying that you don't want to evolve at all?" Sora asked.

"Pikachu!" Pikachu nodded.

"His mind's made up," Kairi said. "Pikachu seems to want to go into battle as a Pikachu; even against Raichu."

"And I'll respect your choice," Sora said. "But even if did decide to evolve, you will always be the same to me."

Sora gently patted Pikachu's head not wanting to make his injuries worse.

"But Pikachu dosen't stand a chance!" Kairi pointed out. "And Sandshrew isn't strong enough to go in there again. You could try Bulbasaur since Electric Type attacks won't do that much damage to a Grass Type!"

"I know the odds are against us," Sora stated. "But it's not impossible! Are you fired up?"

"PI-!" Pikachu falls back on his bed exhausted.

"Well you should rest up for our rematch," Sora said.

"I should agree," Nurse Joy said. "Just know that I'm rooting for you!" Nurse Joy left the room.

"Me too," Kairi added. "But I'll say, I like Pikachu the way he is."

Sora smiled at that.

"Thanks Kairi," Sora said. "You always know what to say."

"You're welcome," Kairi said. "But I did notice something."

"What?" Sora wondered.

"Surge did say that he evolved his Pikachu shortly after getting him, right?" Kairi pointed out.

"Yeah," Sora remembered. "What about it?"

Kairi turned to Sora with a grin.

"It just gave me an idea," Kairi said.

After a full-day of rest at the Pokémon Center, Sora, Kairi, and Pikachu made their way back to the Vermilion City Gym for Sora's rematch.

Once they entered the Gym, Surge and his Raichu smirked at the boy and his Pikachu.

"Back for more, baby?" Surge taunted.

"Raichu," Raichu said.

"I am back," Sora said. "And I'm going to win."

"You think that you're going to win with that little runt of yours?" Surge scoffed. "You didn't even make your Pikachu evolve. Looks like that you didn't learn your lesson!"

"Don't be so sure," Sora shot back at him. "But let's make this interesting. My Pikachu versus your Raichu!"

"Oh it's one-on-one ya want!" Surge stated. "Then that's what ya are gonna get!"

Both trainers with their Pokémon stand ready for the battle. Sora had to remember the edge that Kairi had provided him. He and Pikachu had to keep their cool even more than the last time.

"The rematch between Sora Ketchum and Lt. Surge is about to begin!" The referee announced. "Both trainers will be using one Pokémon each! The battle is over when either the challenger's or the Gym Leader's Pokémon are unable to continue. No time limit! Let the battle begin!"

"Go Pikachu!" Sora called. "Use the strategy that we planned! You can do it!"

"Pika!"

"A strategy, huh? They must have found a new way to lose," Surge said. "Go Raichu!"

"Rai!"

"Iron Tail!" Surge ordered. Raichu swung its tail at Pikachu hitting its mark. Raichu kept swatting at Pikachu with the tail.

"Pikachu!" Sora called. "Try to roll out of the way!"

"Come on Pikachu," Kairi said. "You can do it."

"Give it another Iron Tail!" Surge said. "And make it a big one!"

Raichu was about to finish Pikachu off with one last swing.

"PIKACHU!" Sora and Kairi called out.

Hearing their voices cry out, Pikachu jumps out of the way in time only for Raichu's Iron Tail to miss.

"What the?!" Surge exclaimed. "No Way!"

"Alright!" Kairi cheered.

"Go for it, Pikachu!" said. "Agility!"

Pikachu ran fast as a cheetah, but Surge wasn't gonna call it quits.

"Raichu stop that Pikachu!" Surge called. Raichu tried to stop Pikachu, but Pikachu just moved way too fast. No matter where Pikachu went Raichu couldn't catch up with its opponent.

"It's working! Just as Kairi said it would!" Sora said in his thoughts. "Kairi, I could kiss you for this!"

(Flashback, last night)

'So what's your idea?" Sora asked.

"When Surge said that he got his Pikachu to evolve after catching him," Kairi started. "That could mean that Raichu didn't learn all the moves that he could only learn as a Pikachu. When trainers with Pokémon with certain stones evolve, there are some Pokémon that can still learn some moves through battle, while there are others that can't. And Raichu can't learn anymore new moves from experience in battle."

"And how does that help?" Sora asked.

"Well Pikachu has Quick Attack," Kairi pointed out. "And Raichu dosen't. Raichu evolved too fast. So that means Raichu is too slow. Raichu can only learn Quick Attack and Agility as a Pikachu. Get it?" That struck Sora like a hammer hitting a nail.

"Got it!" Sora said as he smiled.

(Back to the present)

"But that kiss will have to wait until later," Sora said in this thoughts. "Pikachu! Use your Agility! Run circles around Raichu!"

Pikachu literally ran circles around Raichu. The evolved mouse Pokémon tried to keep ots eyes on its opponent, but got dizzy in the process.

"Your Raichu is way too slow, Surge!" Sora said. "You evolved your Raichu way too fast; and that's your Raichu's weakness."

"Alright Raichu, use your Thunderbolt!" Surge shouted. "Shut it down!"

"Rai... CHU!" Raichu let out a powerful Thunderbolt attack. The attack spread all over the battlefield. The Thunderbolt even spread over to the windows shattering them. Creating a smokescreen. It was difficult to see if the attack hit.

"The end of the match!" Surge said. But once the smoke cleared, he saw Pikachu standing on his tail. "What?"

"Pikachu!" Sora cheered.

"Pikachu used his tail as a ground dodged the Thunderbolt," Kairi said. "Way to go Pikachu!"

Surge growled.

"Raichu! Fire another Thunderbolt!" Raichu tried to do that, but something was wrong. Raichu tried again only to get the same results. Raichu was confused by that. "DO SOMETHING!"

"Forget Surge!" Sora called out. "Raichu has no more juice left. And it's in the bag! Move in with Quick Attack!"

"Raichu! Mega Punch now!" Surge ordered. Raichu tried land a Mega Punch only to miss due to Pikachu's speed.

"Pika!" Pikachu charged at Raichu hitting it in the gut.

"Rai!" Raichu wheezed.

"Wrap it up with Iron Tail!" Sora ordered.

Pikachu started to charge his tail with electricity along with Iron Tail and hits Raichu right on target. Raichu fell to the ground totally exhausted.

"UNBELIEVABLE!" Surge shouted in disbelief.

"Way to go, Pikachu!" Kairi cheered.

"Yes!" Sora added.

Even Lt. Surge's staff didn't believe it. The referee sighed as he reluctantly made the announcement.

"Raichu is unable to battle," the referee said. "Pikachu wins! That means the victory goes to Sora Ketchum from Pallet Town!"

Pikachu stood over his fallen opponent and smiled.

"Pi, Pika, Pika, Pikachu!" Pikachu beamed.

Sora and Surge shook hands after an epic battle.

"Congratulations, Sora," Surge said. "And to you too, Pikachu. As proof of your victory, I present you the Thunder Badge! You deserve it after that battle ya gave me!"

"Thanks Surge," Sora said.

Sora looked at the Thunder Badge with pride. It is in the shape of an eight-pointed gold star with an orange octagon in the center.

"You should be proud," Surge said. "You and your Pikachu work good together!"

"Thanks!" Sora said.

Kairi walked up to Sora with a smile feeling proud of their achievement.

"I knew you could do it," she said putting her hand on his shoulder.

Surge and staff clapped to the victor.

"You're no baby after all," Surge complimented. "So congratulations once again."

"You should pat yourself on the back, Pikachu. Your speed took me off guard." - Raichu subtitle.

"Thanks for that. You did pretty good yourself," - Pikachu subtitle.

As soon as Sora, Kairi, and Pikachu left the Gym and returned to the Pokémon Center. Sora checked Pikachu in for treatment while the kids making their way to the mess hall for dinner.

"Three down, five to go," Sora said.

"And you deserve it too," Kairi said.

"Well I don't deserve all the credit," Sora said.

"What do you mean?" Kairi asked.

"You helped me out with that," Sora said. "So the credit should partially go to you. I couldn't have earned this badge without your idea. So there's something I wanted to do just to thank you for it."

"What?" Kairi asked wanting to know. Sora smiled at her and kissed her right on the cheek. Kairi started to blush from the kiss. She placed her hand over the spot he kissed her at. "Oh..."

"That's what," Sora said.

"Well you're welcome, Sora," Kairi said still blushing.

The kids went to the messhall to enjoy their meal while Kairi was happy about Sora's victory and the peck on the cheek.

The very next morning, Sora, Kairi, and Pikachu were heading out to start their journey to Celadon City, but before they do that they spent the day doing some sightseeing around the pier. Many patrons passed by them, looking at how close they are. Saying what a happy couple they are.

They left sometime later for Sora's fourth Gym battle. But to make it through Celadon City, they had to make it through Cerulean City and outside lays a dark cave next to an abandoned Power Plant, but this time they're not taking any shortcuts.