Pokemon Fan Fiction / Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Pokémon: Sora's Journey ❯ The Tower of Terror ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Episode 15: The Tower of Terror

Another twist has been made for this fic. Although it's not synched with the official episode; but I figured that the Cubone episode from Pokémon Origins made a whole more sense. Also I added Cassidy and Butch in this one; as well as some of Alola's Pokémon for this. And Sora makes two more catches at the end of the chapter. With that done with, let's get the show on the road!

Sora, Kairi, and Pikachu set off to the Rock Tunnel to get to Celadon City, but they are joined by Lillie, Illima, Lana, Kiawe, Mallow, Sophocles, Acerola, Mina, and Hapu for along the journey. The eleven kids walked for hours, which was the perfect time to talk about the Alola Islands. Kairi was enthralled by listening how beautiful the islands must be and Sora was impressed by the island trails. Kairi had hit it off well with the girls as Sora did with the boys.

Night fell, so they all set up camp for the night, Kairi was making some dinner along with Mallow's help.

"Meal's on!" Mallow said as the others got their bowls out prepared for the hot stew Kairi had prepared for the group.

The Alolan nine took a bite of the stew prepared; as soon as they did they just sat there all wide eyed at how well it tasted.

"Wow!" Sophocles exclaimed.

"This is actually pretty good," Kiawe said.

"Oh I didn't do anything special," Kairi said. "And besides Mallow helped make it."

"Don't be so modest," Sora said. "Anything Kairi makes always tastes good. This would taste good even of Mallow didn't help out."

"Sora," Kairi said blushing. The Alolan nine took notice of her blush. "You never stop with the complements."

"Well I'm going to keep going with it," Sora said taking another spoonful.

"Sora is right though. This is very good," Lillie said. "How did you learn to cook like this?"

"My grandmother taught me actually," Kairi answered. "I remember the first time I tried to cook something. I was five years old. I tried my hands with trying to cooking up something simple as cooking eggs. But that didn't work out the way I thought it would."

"Well Rome was not built in one day," Illima said.

"No it wasn't," Kairi agreed. "But she shown me how it was done. And I got better at it ever since," Kairi concluded.

"But what about your mom and dad?" Sophocles asked.

"I was just starting to wonder about that too," Acerola said.

Sora stopped eating as he saw Kairi's face go from happy to sad. Sora hated to see her loke that.

"My parents died when I was a baby," Kairi said.

Sora and the Alolan nine just stared at her. Tears slid down her cheeks.

"Sorry," Sophocles said. "It's just..."

"It's okay," Kairi said. "I don't remember it all too well, but it doesn't mean that it doesn't bother me."

"It must have been hard on you," Lana said sympathetically.

"I would be lying if I said it didn't," Kairi said.

Hapu looked back and forth between Sora and Kairi with a question of her own. A question on behalf of the "lovebirds."

"How did you Sora meet anyway?" Hapu asked.

"I can answer that," Sora said. "It was the day that I first got Pikachu. It was just a few months ago when I was first starting out. You guys may not believe this, but Pikachu wasn't thrilled about having me as a trainer. He wouldn't do a thing I said. Not even get inside his Pokéball. I tried to catch my first Pokémon when I came across a Pidgey in a cage."

"A cage?" Mina asked.

"What was a Pidgey was doing in there?" Mallow asked.

"It was a trap set by a couple of Pokémon hunters," Sora explained.

"I just can't believe there are people like them exist in the world," Lillie said.

"You're not alone, Lillie," Sora said. "They had a huge flock of Spearow and they sicced them on me and Pikachu. Kairi, why don't you tell some of it?"

"Okay," Kairi said. "I was out on a nature walk and that's when I spotted a Caterpie in a cage; the same kind of cage that the Pokémon hunters had."

"So what happened next?" Kiawe asked.

"I broke the Caterpie out of the cage and he got away," Kairi said. "But that was when those same hunters kidnapped me and took me back to their camp."

"Those jerks!" Hapu said disgusted.

"They tied me up and put me in a burlap sack and taped my mouth shut," Kairi continued. "And they also told me that they were going to kill me when they were done in the area."

"And that's where I came in," Sora said. "After we got away from the attacking Spearow, Pikachu and I accidentally stumbled on their camp. I cut Kairi out of the sac and we made a break for it."

"Did those hunters find you?" Lana asked.

"They did," Sora answered the blue haired girl. "Their Spearow just attacked Pikachu leaving him injured."

"Poor Pikachu," Lillie said sympathetically.

"We tried to outrun them, but there were too many Spearow," Sora said. "I wouldn't let them get Pikachu, so I told Kairi to make a break for it."

"But I couldn't," Kairi said. "Pikachu suddenly jumped out of my arms and electrocuted the Spearow and the hunters. Sora and I were even caught in the blast."

"Pikachu ended up using up all his energy so we had to take him to the Pokémon Center in Viridian City," Sora said.

"And we've been traveling companions ever since," Kairi said. She smiled at Sora and he smiled back at her.

"That's quite a story," Illima said.

"I'll say," Acerola said.

"Two meetings in one day," Mallow said. "But did you ever see those guys again?"

"We did," Sora said. "It was when we came across a village hidden in a forest on our way to Vermilion City for my third Gym Badge. One of their Spearow evolved into a Fearow. There was another Pokémon trainer named Harold who lent a hand fending their mean Spearow off. We never heard from those guys again after we beat them."

"That's good," Lana said and Mina nodded.

"It looks like that you're in very good hands, Kairi," Illima stated.

"Very good hands," Lana said.

The Alolan nine laughed again.

They continued on eating their meal. Once they were finished. Sora was polishing his Pokéballs when Illima, Kiawe, and Sophocles sat next to him.

"What is it?" Sora asked them.

"Okay Sora," Kiawe said. "Talk."

"About what?" Sora asked not understanding."

"We have feeling that there's more to it than you're telling," Kiawe said.

"More to what?" Sora asked.

"Don't play dumb," Kiawe chided.

"What's the deal with you and Kairi?" Sophocles asked. Sora blushed at the question. "You two always looked at each other for a reason."

"And she mentioned that you're always complimenting her cooking," Illima said.

"And you're blushing like crazy," Sophocles said. "Your face is just as red as a tomato."

"That doesn't mean anything," Sora said. "We're just friends," Sora said blushing.

Over to Kairi, the girls went up to Kairi catching a whiff of love.

"Can I help you?" Kairi asked.

"There's something that all of us are curious about," Mallow said.

"About what?" Kairi asked.

"About you and Sora," Lana said.

Kairi started to blush again.

"I don't know what you mean," Kairi lied.

"Oh really?" Acerola grinned. "Then how come you're blushing?"

"Your face is as red as a tomato," Mina said lazily smiling a bit.

"He's not my boyfriend or anything," Kairi said. "I mean he's a boy and my friend; it doesn't mean that he's my boyfriend. And he can be immature in times, but he's pretty cute." Kairi paused when she said that last part. Kairi's face grew redder when she said that.

Over to the boys.

"Kairi and I just love Pokémon," Sora said. "And that's why I became a Pokémon trainer in the first place."

"That's it?" Kiawe asked unconvinced. Sora nodded. Kiawe looked at two friends decided to have a little fun with it. "So Illima, what's your opinion of Kairi?"

"Well I think that Kairi is very lovely," Illima admitted. Sora looked at the pink-haired boy. Sophocles started to chuckle, but Kiawe shushed him. "I mean I think maybe I have a good chance with her than he does. He may be good with Pokémon, but when it comes to a lady's heart he doesn't stand a chance. The one who has a good chance with her is me."

Sora started to get mad at that.

"You stay away from her!" Sora snapped at Illima.

Kiawe, Illima, and Sophocles laughed. Sora became confused by their laughter.

"I'm sorry. I was just messing with you," Illima said laughing. "It's obvious that you're very sweet on her, judging by your sudden burst of jealousy."

Sora's face turned red as he sighed.

"But that look on your face was funny!" Sophocles said also laughing.

"I didn't think that it was funny," Sora pouted.

"The least you can do is tell us how you feel about her," Illima stated. "And we promise that we won't pull something like this again."

Over to the girls.

"You hear that, ladies?" Mallow asked playfully. "She said Sora is cute."

"I'll have to agree," Lillie said. "But the word I'd use to describe Sora is handsome." Kairi was starting to get jealous with that. "I could imagine the two of us on the beach of Melemele Island and watching the sunset with him. It would be so romantic. And the would have ourselves a ki-"

"YOU STAY AWAY FROM HIS LIPS!" Kairi snapped at the blonde.

"Gotcha!" Acerola said.

"Huh?" Kairi tilted her head.

The Alolan girls laughed again.

"I was only kidding with you," Lillie said. "I'm sorry."

"We just wanted to see how you would react if one of us said it," Lana admitted. Mina nodded.

"Just tell us how you feel about him," Hapu said.

"It's complicated," Kairi said.

"What's so complicated?" Hapu asked annoyed.

"I do like having him around," Kairi admitted. "But I just don't know how he'll react."

Over to the boys.

"I value my friendship with her," Sora said. "But I don't want to do anything to jeopardize it. She might turn me down."

Over to the girls.

"I think Sora will be very flattered," Lillie said.

Kairi looked her new friends.

"Lillie's right," Mallow said. "You should tell him how you feel."

Kairi looked away blushing.

Over to the boys.

"I don't think that she would," Illima said.

Sora looked at his new friends.

"How would you know?" Sora asked.

"I won't tell you what to do," Illima said. "But I can give you advice. Just tell her how you feel. And I can guarantee that she would feel the same way."

Sora paused for a moment. But he nodded letting them know that he understands.

After a good talk, they went into their tents and went off to sleep. On the very next morning, the group had finally arrived at the Rock Tunnel.

"Here it is," Sora said.

"Don't tell me that we're gonna go in there," Lillie said.

"Well, we should if we want to get to Celadon City," Kairi said. "But we have to make a stop into Lavender Town since it's on the way."

Sora and Alolan nine agreed. They took a step inside, and it was much darker than any of them could have thought.

"I can't see a thing," Lana said.

"We need some lights," Kiawe said.

"Leave that to me, guys," Mina said. She took out a Pokéball and threw it in the air. "Morelull! Come out!" No one could see the Pokémon anywhere due to the darkness. "Flash!" With a flash, the whole tunnel got bright. Everyone could see the whole thing.

"Thanks Mina," Sora said. Mina slightly smiled he quickly noticed a small white mushroom-like Pokémon sitting on her shoulder. I had pale green half circles at the side of eye and three mushrooms on its head, two are a light purple and one is pink. Sora took his Pokédex and pointed at the Pokémon she had.

Morelull, the Illuminating Pokémon

Type: Grass/Fairy

Pokémon living in the same forest as Morelull eats the delicious caps on Morelull's head. The caps regrow overnight. They live in these dark forests even during the day. Morelull scatters flickering spores that puts their enemies to sleep and feeds on their energy.

"That's something," Sora said putting his Pokédex away.

"Flash will stay in effect as long as we're in here, so you don't have to worry about it going out on us," Mina said.

"We should get moving," Sora said.

Sora, Kairi, Pikachu, and the Alolan nine walked through the lightened tunnel in just a matter of hours. It felt like days, but they didn't give up. They looked around to see if there were any wild Pokémon in the area, but couldn't see any. Once they reached the outside they all rushed out of the tunnel having a relaxing sit on the ground. All but Hapu were exhausted.

"Finally we're out!" Sophocles said panting.

"Anymore steps and my feet would have fallen off," Lillie added.

"What a bunch of softies you are," Hapu said at them. "I spent my whole life in the earth! So a long walk wouldn't bother me!"

"What is up with that girl?" Sora whispered.

"Hapu specializes with Ground Type Pokémon," Illima explained. "Just as Mina specializes with Fairy Types."

"What Types do the rest of you have a handle on?" Sora asked.

"Well, Kiawe uses Fire Types. Mallow uses Grass Types. Acerola uses Ghost Types. Sophocles specializes with Electric Types. Lana does well with Water Types. Lillie uses mixed Types. And I specialize with Normal Types," Illima explained.

"So you're like the Gym Leaders here?" Sora pointed out.

"In some way," Illima said. Once the group caught their breath, they made it to Lavender Town.

"So that's Lavender Town," Sora smiled.

"We should check out some of the sights while we're here!" Sophocles said.

"But after we get to the Pokémon Center," Kiawe said.

"He's right," Kairi said. "Our Pokémon should replenish their strength before we do anything else."

Sora, Kairi, Pikachu, and the Alolan nine made it to the Pokémon Center in Lavender Town. Once Sora had his Pokémon checked in he decided to give his mom a ring.

Over to the Ketchum house.

Ring ring ring! Ring ring ring! Phone call! Phone call!

Delia went over to the phone to answer.

"Hello, you have reached the Ketchum residence," Delia said.

"Hi mom!" Sora said.

Delia squealed with delight hearing from her son.

"Sora! Hello!" Delia said. "Where are you?"

"I'm in Lavender Town," Sora answered. "Kairi and I had just checked Pikachu and my other Pokémon in."

"That's great! But why haven't you called me back?" Delia asked. "I haven't heard from you since Viridian City!"

"Just been busy traveling," Sora said.

"And how is Kairi doing?" Delia asked anxiously. "Has she been keeping you out of trouble?"

"Yeah mom," Sora answered.

"And have you been eating okay?" Delia asked.

"Yes," Sora said. "I'm even eating my vegetables and doing my laundry. With her help."

"That's good," Delia smiled. "But as long as you're calling, I was wondering if you cwuld introduce me to her."

"Mom," Sora blushed. "I..."

"I just want to see her with my own eyes," Delia said. "I just want to meet the girl who stole my little boy's heart!"

"Oh, Okay," Sora said caving in. He turned to Kairi, before she could ask what was up he motioned for her to come. She approached Sora and saw the lady on the screen. "Here she is, mom. This is Kairi. Kairi this my mom, Delia Ketchum."

"It's very nice to meet you," Kairi said smiling.

"Oh my goodness! She's so beautiful!" Delia beamed.

"Um, thanks," Kairi said blushing.

"My Sora is so lucky!" Delia said. "I just have so many questions to ask. Starting with how you two met. And where do come from? And are you making sure that he's eating properly?"

Sora and Kairi just paused remembering how her experience with the hunters.

"We just met on my way to Viridian City," Sora said. That was a half-truth.

"Yeah that's right," Kairi said not wanting Sora to get in trouble.

"And you two are traveling together," Delia said. "The two of you are so cute together. I can see how close you two are."

"We're just friends, mom," Sora said blushing.

"Just friends," Kairi added. "I should go check on your Pokémon. It was nice meeting you." Kairi bowed her head and took off blushing.

"I can see why you fell hard for her," Delia said.

"We're not dating or anything," Sora said.

"Don't try to hide it," Delia said. "I know when my son is smittened. I can see it on your face. My baby boy is in love!" Sora blushed madly.

Sora had to think hard to change the subject, "I also made some more friends and I won three Gym Badges too."

"That's wonderful!" Delia said. "I'm so proud of you! Just don't get into any trouble on your way. And try to call me more often."

"I'll do my best, mom," Sora said.

"And make sure that you bring Kairi over to the house when you get back to Pallet Town. I want to meet her in person," Delia told him.

"Mom," Sora cringed. Sora had a dreadful thought of Delia showing not only Kairi, but the others his baby pictures.

"Don't 'mom' me, young man," Delia scolded. "Just be careful out there. And do your very best. I love you."

"Love you too, mom," Sora said. "Bye."

They both hung up.

Sora approached Kairi whom is still blushing from the meeting of his mom. Even if Sora didn't call her he knew that Delia would make a big deal about meeting her.

"Hey Kairi," Sora spoke.

"Your mom's nice," Kairi said smiling.

"Thanks," Sora said.

"She's a beautiful woman," Kairi said. "But she seemed rather young."

"Well, she got married to my dad when they were pretty young," Sora said. "But that was after she found out that she was pregnant with me."

"Was it a rushed marriage?" Kairi asked surprised.

"Well, kinda I guess," Sora said. "She married him on her eighteenth birthday. It wasn't a big wedding; it was just friends and family."

"I didn't want to ask you this," Kairi said, "...what happened to your dad?"

"He was killed by a drunk driver on his way home," Sora said sadly. Kairi looked at him starting to cry. "She was just six months pregnant and she already widowed. This necklace was handed to her when that happened. Even after I was born, she stayed loyal to my dad even though he's dead. I just wish that I knew him."

"I'm sorry to hear that," Kairi said with tears flowing from her eyes.

"It's okay," Sora said. "I just knew it was coming."

Kairi gave Sora a comforting hug. Sora felt better knowing that she has his back. They broke the hug and joined the others for lunch. They had some pizza courtesy of Lillie.

The pizza consisted of pepperoni, sausage, salami, mushrooms, and extra cheese. Just as the kids were enjoying their meal they overheard someone talking.

"I heard some rumors that a ghost has been appearing at the Pokémon Tower lately," a male voice said.

"Pokémon Tower?" Sora asked.

"A g-g-ghost?" Sophocles shivered with fright.

They all turned to see a man and woman talking about it.

"Really?" the woman asked surprised.

"Yeah that's right," the man nodded. "And there were some people who claimed to have seen it."

The kids ended up frightened, except for Acerola who became interested; Sora looked the purple haired girl who could have sworn that he saw stars in her eyes. Acerola stood up and approached the people.

"Excuse me!" Acerola said to the man and woman while the others joined up. "You said something about a ghost. Tell me if it's true!"

"Uh huh," the man nodded. "I haven't seen it myself, but the whole town is talking about it."

"And what's the Pokémon Tower?" Sora asked.

"Is this you first time in Lavender Town?" the man asked.

"Yeah," Sora nodded.

"And do you know that this town is the grave sight for Pokémon?" the man asked.

"I have heard about that before," Kairi said.

"The Pokémon Tower is the grave sight," the woman said. "People from all over come to the Pokémon Tower to pay respects to the Pokémon who had lost their lives."

"So it's a Pokémon memorial," Illima stated.

"Yes," the woman nodded.

"And the ghost that you're just talking about is a Pokémon?" Sora asked.

"Like I said, I've never seen it," the man said. "But it is a rumor."

"Do any of you believe in ghosts?" The woman asked the group.

"I do!" Acerola said proudly. "Ever since I was little I have been fascinated by ghosts! Even Ghost Type Pokémon. We should head over to the Pokémon Tower and see this ghost!"

"No way!" Sophocles said.

"Well, not all of us believes in ghosts," Sora said. "I know I don't!"

"Well, I guess the white hand resting on your shoulder isn't real either," the woman joked.

Sora ended up getting jumpy as he looked at his shoulder and sees no hand. They all looked around as well.

"Ah come on," Sora said. "Quit kidding around."

They noticed that the two people were gone. They wondered if they were really there at all or if they were real ghosts.

"Where did they go?" Lillie asked.

"We should finish our pizza before we do anything else," Sora stated. They all agreed.

Sora went up to the Pokémon Center counter to pick up his Pokémon.

"Your Pokémon are fighting fit!" Nurse Joy beamed.

"Thank you very much," Sora said. "I just heard something about a ghost in the Pokémon Tower just a little while ago."

"That's the talk of the town," Nurse Joy said. "But before you head there, I recommend that you visit the Pokémon House."

"Pokémon House?" Sora tilted his head.

A Short time later, Sora, Kairi, Pikachu, and the Alolan nine made it to the place that matches Nurse Joy's description.

"This must be it," Sora said.

"Are you sure this is the place? It looks more like someone else's house," Hapu said.

"But why do we have to come here before we go to the Pokémon Tower?" Acerola pouted.

"That's what Nurse Joy said to do before we go there," Sora said. "And we might as well check it out since we're here."

The group entered the house and saw no-one around the room.

"Hello?" Kairi called. "Is anyone here?"

"Yes? I'm coming!" A girl's voice called. A girl went to greet the visitors, she has reddish brown hair and indigo eyes. She wore a pink shirt and a lavender skirt. "How can I help all of you?"

"Can you tell us what this place is all about?" Sora asked.

"Oh, you mean nobody told you?" The girl asked. "This place is where abandoned and orphaned Pokémon are taken care of."

"Abandoned and orphaned Pokémon?" Lana asked disheartened.

"Pikachu," Pikachu said.

"Exactly," The girl said. "Please come this way. I'll show you."

The group obliged the girl, seeing the place. They looked and saw some Pokémon being tended by the people who have come to visit. Sora looked around and saw the Pokémon in the house. An Oddish, and a Vulpix. There was also an orange puppy-like Pokémon with black stripes on its fur and yellow tufts of fur as well as its belly and tail (Growlithe). Also some Rattata, some Pidgey and Spearow. He even saw a two-headed bird Pokémon that looks like an ostrich. The two heads are very identical (Doduo) and a cream colored Pokémon that looks more like a pony with a mane and tail made entirely out of fire(Ponyta).

This brought back some memories for Sora and Kairi. They remembered Melanie and her secret village. And how they helped out by battling the same two Pokémon hunters from before and Sora having Bulbasaur on his team.

"I had no idea that there were so many abandoned Pokémon here," Kiawe said.

"You should talk to the founder of the Pokémon House," the girl said. "His name is Mr. Fuji. He says there are people who thinks that Pokémon are nothing more than tools or some kind of accessories."

"How terrible," Lana said.

"Yes it is," the girl said. "This used to be Mr. Fuji's own house. He remodeled it to cater the needs for the Pokémon."

Sora and Kairi smiled as they already liked Mr. Fuji even if they hadn't met him yet.

"He sounds like a nice guy," Sora said with a smile.

"You're right," the girl said. "And that's the reason many people in town started to volunteer around here. My name's Reina."

"I'm Sora. And this is my Pikachu," Sora introduced.

"Pika Pika!"

"I'm Kairi."

"Lillie."

"Illima."

"Lana."

"Kiawe."

"Mallow."

"Sophocles."

"Acerola."

"Mina."

"Hapu."

"It's good to meet all of you," Reina beamed.

Kairi looked around the room seeing the happy Pokémon, but there was just one that caught her attention.

"All the Pokémon here look very happy here," Sora said. "This place is okay in my book. What about you, Kairi?" Sora didn't get an answer. "Kairi?" He looked her way and saw a troubling look on her face. Sora along with the others went to what they were looking at. What they saw was a Cubone in a corner. "A Cubone."

"What's up with this one?" Mallow asked.

"This little one only came to this place just recently," Reina explained. "But it only opens up with Mr. Fuji. But it's nervous around anyone else."

"And why is that?" Sora asked.

"It's because of Team Rocket," Reina answered.

"Team Rocket?!" Sora and Kairi both exclaimed.

"Pika?!" Pikachu shared their shock.

The Alolan nine looked at them not knowing who they are.

"That's right," Reina started. "There were members of Team Rocket who started to poach Pokémon just close to town. Cubone was out there when their members tried to capture it. But its mother, a Marowak got in the way. Team Rocket took Marowak's life and made Cubone an orphan. Mr. Fuji found it and brought it here so that Cubone wouldn't be so lonely. Since then, Cubone never opened up anyone except to Mr. Fuji."

They were all shocked and appalled to hear that someone like Team Rocket would do something so horrible. Kairi ended up in more tears to hear that a mother Pokémon had died all because she was protecting her baby. Sora clinched his first at the thought as he was angered by their actions.

"Those bastards," Sora said gritting his teeth under his breath.

Kairi opened the pin and went in. Cubone was feeling nervous around the new girl. Cubone looked up and saw the saddness in her eyes. Cubone and clinged to her crying its eyes out.

"It's okay," Kairi said kindly. "It's okay."

Reina was pretty shocked to see Cubone had actually opened up to someone other than Mr. Fuji. Even the Alolan nine were surprised. Sora and Pikachu weren't; they both knew her compassion for this baby Pokémon was boundless.

Everyone gathered to the front room as they were about to leave for the Pokémon Tower.

"Thanks for showing us around," Sora said. "I can see why Nurse Joy told us to come here first."

"Well Mr. Fuji isn't just kind," Reina said smiling. "He knows everything about Pokémon too! He teaches us all kinds of things."

"My mother runs an organization that dedicates itself into helping Pokémon," Lillie said. "Maybe Mr. Fuji can teach them some things I bet they didn't even know about!"

"He's someone I would like to meet," Sora said.

"Which one is Mr. Fuji?" Kiawe asked.

"None of them," Reina said. "He stepped out just yesterday, but he didn't come back. So no one knows where he is."

Suddenly, a door opens and a man enters the house.

"Everyone!" The man called. "I just found out where Mr. Fuji is!"

The volunteers ran up to him.

"Where?!" A woman asked frantically. "Where is he? Tell us!"

"He's at the Pokémon Tower," the man explained.

"The Pokémon Tower?!" The volunteers gasped.

Sora, Kairi, Pikachu, and the Alolan nine didn't like where this was going.

"That's right," the man nodded. "He was heading that way. Someone saw him go into the Pokémon Tower yesterday."

"Why would he go in there?" Another man asked.

"Team Rocket," the first woman answered. "That's the only reason. He must have gone there to convince them to leave the Pokémon Tower."

"Those people won't listen to the likes of us," Another man sighed.

Team Rocket is in Lavender Town?! And they're at the Pokémon Tower too?! Sora definitely didn't like this one bit.

"Um excuse me," Sora spoke up. This grabbed the volunteer's attention. "You just said Team Rocket is in the Pokémon Tower. Can you tell me and my friends on when they first shown up?"

"They just showed up just a few days ago," the second man said. "They made the top floor of the Pokémon Tower their base."

"It was completely out of the blue," Reina added. "They arrived by truck and stormed the place. And what's worse is they chase away anyone who goes there."

"Why would they do that?" Lana asked.

"I don't know," Reina answered. "But no one was able to get in the tower."

"And on top of that, a ghost appears!" another woman spoke up.

This definitely got the kid's attention.

"A ghost?!" Sophocles gasped.

"Yes!" The second woman answered. "I know because I saw it myself. Just the other night when Team Rocket wasn't looking, I sneaked into the Pokémon Tower and that's when I saw the ghost. It was unbelievably scary!"

"I see," Sora said shaking a little.

Sora could see why nobody wanted to go in the tower, not only because of Team Rocket, but also because of the ghost that haunts the tower.

"If people can't come visit the Pokémon Tower then this town is finished!" The first man said.

"We should go there together and rescue Mr. Fuji!" Reina proclaimed. They all looked at her like she was crazy.

"Many people had challenged Team Rocket and lost," the first woman said. "They're pretty tough for a bunch of petty thugs."

"And there's a ghost there!" The second woman added.

"I can't believe all of you!" Reina exclaimed. "Are you saying that we should abandon Mr. Fuji after he went there to protect us?!"

"Of course not," the first woman said.

"We wouldn't dream of abandoning Mr. Fuji," the first man said. "But they're just too tough for us!"

"And they may let Mr. Fuji go eventually," the second man said.

Everyone was silent for a moment. Hearing enough, Sora spoke up.

"I'll go!" Sora announced.

Everyone all looked at him. They all saw how serious he is just by looking into his eyes.

"You? But you're just a child!" the first woman said. "Even the adults here couldn't beat Team Rocket!"

"That's right! Even if you go there, it's a waste of time!" The second man said. "Nothing is going to change!"

"We all know they're not going to let Mr. Fuji go anyway," Sora stated. "But I had some dealings with Team Rocket and some other guys who want to exploit Pokémon. I even earned three Gym Badges! I'm feeling confident in my skills! So, I won't turn my back on Mr. Fuji."

"Sora's right," Kiawe said. "I'm pitching in too!"

"I think we all are!" Mallow added.

"You know you can count me in!" Acerola stated. "Not only I wanna see the ghost, but I want to help Mr. Fuji too!"

Before anybody knew it, everyone started to voice their own opinions. Even Sophocles started to show a little courage, despite still afraid of the ghost. Even not being a trainer, Kairi tagged along for moral support.

Night fell, the group made it to the Pokémon Tower. Sophocles started to regret his decision.

"This is even scarier than I thought," Sophocles said. "So I'll head back to the Pokémon Center and wait for guys to come back. Let me know how it turns out."

Before the chubby boy could go far, Hapu grabbed him by the arm.

"Oh no you don't!" Hapu chided. "You're not chickening out of this one!"

"Why not?" Sophocles frowned.

"I get that you're scared, but it's too late to back out now," Hapu said.

"Hapu's right," Lana said. "We're all made this decision to come here, so we're all in this together."

"But the question is who's going in first?" Lillie asked.

"I have an idea," Mina said. Everyone looked at her as she pulled out eleven straws for each of them. "We all draw straws. Whoever gets the short one goes in to see if the cost is clear."

"Good idea!" Kairi said. "I'll draw one first." Kairi drew the first straw, and everyone else did. They all looked to see if they got the short one; Sophocles sighed as he didn't get the short one. Sora did get the short one after all. "Looks like you're it, Sora."

"I guess," Sora hung his head. He turned to Pikachu. "You ready to go, Pikachu?"

"Pika," Pikachu nodded nervously.

Both Pokémon and trainer went up the steps of the tower and and peaked inside. Once he was certain that there weren't anyone there, he motioned everyone that the cost is clear. Kairi and the Alolan nine joined Sora and Pikachu inside. Armed with flashlights, they walked through the ground level of the tower.

"There's a sudden chill in here," Kairi said.

As they all walked, they saw a mysterious figure approaching the group. Before Sophocles could let out a scream, he's muffled by Lana and Illima so that he wouldn't alert Team Rocket.

"Who's there?!" Kiawe asked.

It turns out that the figure is a woman with long raven hair.

"You don't have to worry," the woman said. "I'm not a ghost."

"Aw," Acerola groaned disappointed.

"Don't scare us like that," Sora said.

"I only came here to pay my respects to my Nidoran," the woman said. "You kids obviously care about your Pokémon too, don't you?"

"Of course we do," Lana said.

"Have you come here to pay your respects?" the woman asked them.

"Well, not exactly," Sora answered. "We're here to rescue Mr. Fuji and kick Team Rocket out of the Pokémon Tower."

"And we came to see the ghost, too!" Acerola said fascinated.

"Well, she's here for the ghost," Sora said.

"I see," the woman said.

"But aren't you frightened?" Kairi asked.

"Of course not," the woman answered calmly. "The ghost only appears farther up."

"Farther up?" Acerola asked delighted. "Let's go! Let's go!"

"Focus on the mission!" Kiawe scolded the Ghost trainer.

"Oh, okay," Acerola sighed.

On top of the Tower, Jessie. James, and Meowth along with some other members of Team Rocket including a man with short green hair and a woman with gold hair worn in pigtails. She also wears a pair of triangular pink earrings. Apparently, they all wore black suits with the letter R engraved on it. And the lower ones wore black caps.

"I can't believe the boss is making us work with Cassidy and Butch," Jessie snarled.

"I know," James shared her disgust. "Just beacuse they're the boss's favorites they get promoted to be agents and rub it in our faces."

The two members stared at them with discontent. It turns out that they were guarding an old man who is bald and has gray eyebrows. His hands and feet were tied. It was in fact Mr. Fuji himself.

"Did any of you hear the wild rumors going on around here?" One of the grunts asked.

"What rumors?" James asked.

"The rumors of a ghost that appears in this tower," the grunt said.

"You mean a Ghost Type Pokémon," Jessie said.

"No-no-no-no," the grunt said, "I mean an actual ghost."

"A real ghost?!" Meowth exclaimed.

"There's no ghost!" Jessie said. "Even if there was we still have the Sylph Scope to identify any unidentifiable Ghost Type Pokémon."

"Right," the Team Rocket members said.

Over to the group who had already reached the fifth floor. They approached the steps with Sora leading.

"That lady did say that the ghost appears further up," Sora said. "So the ghost must be on the next floor."

"But shouldn't one of us go up there to see if it's real?" Lana asked.

"Lana does have a point," Illima said. "But the question is who?"

"Should we draw straws again?" Kiawe asked.

"I volunteer to go up!" Acerola said. "Ghost Type Pokémon are my specialty."

"And the rest of us can follow," Kairi said.

"Alright," Sora said. "We did come all this way. And she's the most likely to tame the ghost, if it is a ghost, not a Ghost Type. Lead the way." Sora handed her the flashlight.

Acerola went up first to see if the cost was clear. She felt disappointed for a moment until she felt a strange presence. She went back down to the others.

"You should come see this!" Acerola said excited. She went back up with the others following her. They all looked around as they all made it to the sixth floor only a moving shadow coming forward from the steps leading to the top. "There it is!"

Sora, Kairi, Pikachu, and the rest of the Alolan nine stood there feeling scared of the shadow approaching the group. The shadow spoke in a deep feminine voice.

"Get out! LEAVE THIS PLACE!"

"A GHOST!" Sophocles screamed.

Upstairs, the Team Rocket members stopped what they were doing as they all heard a scream from the floor below.

"What was that?" Butch asked in a deep raspy voice.

"Just some people who snuck in again," Cassidy said irritated. "Jessie, James, you two come with us. The rest of you keep the old man quiet."

"Right," the grunts said.

The group stumbles back downstairs as the ghost follows them down.

"Get out! Get out! Leave this place!"

"Holy crap! Ghosts do exist!" Kiawe said.

"Then we should run away!" Sophocles said.

"I'm not running away!" Sora said. "No ghost is going to scare me away!" Sora looked Pikachu. "Go get it, Pikachu!"

"Pika!" Pikachu jumped in front of the ghost.

"Get out! Get out! Leave this place!"

Kiawe, Mallow, and Lana went up ahead while Sora was busy dealing with the ghost. A flashlight shines on them.

"What you kids think you're doing in here?" Cassidy hissed at them.

"Getting rid of troublemakers like you," Kiawe said taking out a Pokéball. Lana and Mallow did the same thing.

Over to the Pokémon House, Cubone tries to bust out of its pin. Reina ran in to see what all the ruckus was about.

"What's the matter?" Reina asked unlocking the pin. Cubone just ran out of the house with Reina following. "Wait! Hold on!"

Over to Sora, Pikachu tried a series off attacks, but nothing worked.

"No attack I try would have any effect," Sora said.

"I'll help!" Sophocles said. "Togedemaru! Go!" Sophocles took out a Pokéball and threw it to unleash a small hedgehog-like Pokémon, with with yellow cheeks and fourteen markings on its back, and tail-like needle on the back of the head. "Togedemaru! Use Zing Zap!"

Togedemaru spins its body rapidly covered in electricity and slams into the ghost and did nothing either.

"Nothing they try is working!" Lillie said.

"Sora!" Kiawe called.

Sora turned to spot Kiawe, Mallow, and Lana on the steps.

"Kiawe?" Sora asked.

"Use this!" Kiawe said throwing pair of goggles to him. Sora catches it.

"What is this thing?" Sora asked.

"You'll know when you put it on!" Kiawe said.

Outside the tower, Cubone runs up the steps. Reina follows the little Pokémon inside.

"Wait! Don't go that way!" Reina called out.

Sora put on the googles and looked right at the ghost. The image of the ghost reveals to a Pokémon with a skull mask similar to Cubone only it has a larger body, and it's holding a bone bigger than Cubone's as well. Sora took out his Pokédex and pointed at the ghost.

Marowak, the Bone Keeper Pokémon

The evolved form of Cubone

Type: Ground

It is small and was originally very weak. Its temperament turned ferocious when it began using bones. This Pokémon's tempered and hardened spirit is not easily broken. It throws its bones like boomerangs to take down their enemies.

"The ghost is Marowak?!" Sora exclaimed.

Kairi and the rest gasped shocked to hear that the ghost is a Marowak.

"Cubone's mother?" Kairi remembered.

"You don't think that-" Hapu's questioned was cut when Cubone ran in.

"Cubone!" Cubone cried out.

"Son!"

Cubone ran straight to his mother giving her a hug. They all looked both mother and son reunite for the first time since Marowak had died. Marowak's spirit has finally found peace.

"What is going on?" Sophocles asked.

"It would seem that the reason Marowak was lurking around here because she was just worried about her baby," Acerola explained.

"That's right," Kairi agreed. "And she just wanted to see her son again for one last time."

With that done, Marowak descended into the afterlife. Cubone begged for her to stay, but she told her son that she couldn't stay. Once Marowak's spirit has vanished. Cubone cries out to his mother.

Reina went up to Cubone and picked him up. The infant Pokémon just cried.

Sora ran up to the next floor with the Sylph Scope in hand and saw Jessie and James along with two other people.

"Should have guessed that you have your hands in this!" Sora said.

Jessie and James recognized him.

"You!" Jessie and James snapped at him.

"You know this punk?" Cassidy asked.

"Sadly yes," James admitted.

"You mean this kid is giving you two trouble?" Butch laughed.

"Who cares?" Cassidy said pulling out a Pokéball. "Let's teach this kid to stay out of the affairs of Team Rocket! Raticate! Go!"

"Go for it, Drowzee!" Butch said throwing the Pokéball along with Cassidy.

The Pokéballs lets out two Pokémon, one being a brown rat-like Pokémon with a fearsome face and three whiskers on each side, and a cream colored underbelly. The other looks like a taipar with a yellow upper body and a dark brown lower body.

"Let's show them up!" Jessie said. "Ekans! Go!"

"Join the battle, Koffing!" James added.

Ekans and Koffing joins the battle.

"Ekanssss!"

"Koffing!"

Sora throws a Pokéball, "Charmander! Go!" Sora called.

"Char, Char!" Charmander joined the battle.

"I'll lend a hand!" Acerola said. "Mimkyu! Go!"

The Pokéball that Acerola unleashed looks like a Pikachu, but more ragged. The outside of the Pikachu skin is a grayish-beige color instead of yellow. Its "tail" is made of wood and has a grayish-brown color.

"Togedemaru! It's your turn!" Sophocles ordered. Togedemaru rolled on in!

"Team Rocket, you took the life of a Marowak!" Kiawe said. "Now try out my Marowak!" Kiawe threw his Pokéball unleashing his own Marowak; this one was different. This Marowak is black and skinner than the ghost Marowak and the skull has a flame-shaped mark on the forehead, and has a gray underbelly. It also has white markings on its back and holds a longer bone.

"You have a Marowak?" Sora asked looking at the different Marowak.

"This Marowak is different from the Marowak you battled. This is an Alolan Marowak; a Fire and Ghost Type," Kiawe explained.

"That is cool!" Sora said stoked at the sight of the Alolan Marowak.

"I don't care what a Pokémon looks like," Cassidy said. "It won't win! Raticate! Super Fang!"

"Raticate!" Cassidy's Raticate lunged at its opponents.

"Ekans! Bite!" Jessie ordered. Ekans lunged the same manner as Raticate.

"Koffing! Tackle!" James ordered. Koffing charged.

"Drowzee! Thunderpunch!" Butch ordered. Drowzee's fist emitted electricity.

"Charmander! Scratch!" Sora ordered.

"Togedemaru! Zing Zap!" Sophocles ordered.

"Mimikyu! Shadow Claw!" Acerola ordered.

"Marowak! Flame Wheel!" Kiawe ordered.

Charmander swiped his claw right at Raticate. Togedemaru rolls right into Ekans. Ekans flinched from the move. Mimikyu's shadowy claw comes from the cloth and swipes at Drowzee. Marowak's Bone conjurs green flames at each ends of the bone. Marowak swirls the bone around and sends it at Koffing.

With Jessie, James, Cassidy, and Butch distracted, Reina, Kairi, Illima, Lana, Mallow, Lillie, and Hapu went to the top floor of the Pokémon Tower to rescue Mr. Fuji and deal with any other members of Team Rocket.

Once they reached the top, they spotted Mr. Fuji tied up.

"Mr. Fuji!" Reina called.

"Reina!" Mr. Fuji called back.

"How did you kids get up here?!" One of the grunts barked.

Lana took out a Pokéball ready for battle.

"I'm counting on you, Shellder!" Lana said throwing the Pokéball.

"Grimer! Go!" the grunt said also threw the Pokéball.

Both Pokéballs unleashed two new Pokémon, Lana's being a mollusk with a purple shell and has its tongue sticking out. The grunt's being a purple Pokémon whose body is made out of sludge.

"Shellder! Use Icicle Spear!" Lana ordered. Shellder obeyed by firing a spear made entirely of ice.

"Grimer, dodge it! Use Poison Gas!" The grunt ordered as Grimer fired the Poison Gas at Shellder. Shellder dodged left and right not wanting to get hit. Suddenly, Cubone used his Bonemerang to get rid of of the sludge's Pokémon's attack. "What was that?!"

"Sheller! Ice Beam!" Lana called. Shellder fired Ice Beam by rolling its tongue and blowing a raspberry. Once Ice Beam hits, Grimer and all the Team Rocket grunts get by the Ice Type move freezing them all in place. All except for Meowth who ends up running out of the top floor.

Ovet to Sora, Kiawe, Sophocles and Acerola.

"Charmander! Flamethrower!" Sora ordered.

Charmander jumps in the air and fired Flamethrower frying Raticate into a crisp.

"Now Mimikyu! Play Rough!" Acerola ordered. Mimikyu jumped towards all the opposing Pokémon and beat them silly as a cloud appeared all around them. Once it cleared all of the Pokémon lay on the floor beaten.

"Let's wrap this up! Pikachu! Thunderbolt!" Sora said.

"Pika!" Pikachu nodded jumping off of Sora's shoulder and shocking the Pokémon and sending them back to their trainers who also gets hit by Thundetbolt just in time for Meowth to get hit too.

An explosion occurs sending the Team Rocket group flying through the celing creating a hole.

"This is all your fault!" Cassidy yelled.

"My fault?!" Jessie yelled back. "We were doing just fine until we got stuck working with you!"

The human members argued amongst themselves as Meowth was forced to say it.

"It looks like Team Rocket is blasting off again!" Meowth stated.

With that over, Sora, Kiawe, Sophocles and Acerola joined up with the rest just in time for Kairi to untie Mr. Fuji.

"Is everything good here?" Sora asked.

"Everything's all good," Kairi said letting Mr. Fuji loose.

"That's right," Mr. Fuji said standing up. "And it's thanks to all of you, kids."

"We're just glad that you're okay," Lillie said.

Mr. Fuji smiled as he looked to all of his rescuers; he saw Cubone being carried by Reina.

"I can see little Cubone has finally opened up to others," Mr. Fuji said. "It can mean that Marowak's restless spirit has finally found peace."

Not long after that, the group left the tower just after the police came and apprehended the remaining Team Rocket members. Despite having a couple of holes in the tower, it was safe for the public once more.

Sora, Kairi, Pikachu, and the Alolan nine stuck around the Pokémon House staying for the night. They helped out by playing with the baby Pokémon there. Mina was painting a few paintings for the occasion. But she painted one of Sora and Kairi together. Mallow showed off her cooking skills by preparing an Alolan meal and one for the Pokémon.

On the very next morning, Mr. Fuji and Reina carrying Cubone in her arms, are currently standing outside the town on a trail.

"You can make your way to Celadon City by walking down this path," Mr. Fuji said.

"And I wish you luck for your Gym battle," Reina said.

"I'll do my best," Sora said.

"Pikachu!" Pikachu said.

"I'm just happy to see Cubone won't shut his heart off from the rest of the world," Kairi said. She smiled as she looked at Cubone.

Everyone said their goodbyes to Mr. Fuji, Reina, and Cubone as they waved to the group. Sora, Kairi, Pikachu, and the Alolan nine headed down the road for Celadon City. But along the way, Sora had captured a Vulpix and a Psyduck. Psyduck was a bit of an accidental catch since he fell backwards and Psyduck just happens to hop inside. But he got two new Pokémon nonetheless.