Pokemon Fan Fiction / Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Pokémon: Sora's Journey ❯ Erika and Gloom ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Episode 17: Erika and Gloom

Fun Fact: The Pokémon episode entitled "Pokémon Sent-sation" was called "Erika and Gloom" in the Japanese version. Also it'll have a different take on how it turns out. And also this Sora will have Rowlet on his team. In fact, Sora will have three Alolan starters as well. How's that for a twist? And if you're wondering about Rockfuff evolving to Dusk Form Lycanroc; we can save that for later.

On the very next morning, Sora got up early and spotted Kairi on the top bunk sleeping soundly.

"Kairi always looks so beautiful when she sleeps," Sora said in his thoughts. He spots Kiawe and Mallow sleeping on the bunk beds over on the opposite side. He steps out of the room being careful not to wake anyone. Once outside he made his way over to the picture phone to give Professor Oak a call. He dialed the number.

Ring ring ring! Ring ring ring! Phone call! Phone call!

Professor Oak answers the phone, but he's still in his pajamas, and he has a black eye.

"Oh Sora," Professor Oak said. "Good morning! I didn't expect to hear from you so early."

"Good morning, Professor," Sora said. "I hope I didn't wake you."

"Not at all," the professor assured him. "I was already up preparing a hot cup of coffee when you called. But where are you by the way?"

"I'm in Celadon City," Sora answered.

"Celadon City? I assume you're calling to withdraw some Pokémon for your Gym battle?" Professor Oak asked.

"That's right," Sora answered. "I figured I'll be up against Grass Type Pokémon and I'm calling to send you at least one or two of the ones I already got over to you."

"I can see you're using your head," Professor Oak smiled. "I would recommend that you would use either Butterfree, Beedrill, Zubat, or Vulpix for this one since they're Types that can have an edge on Grass Types." Sora thought long and hard. It was true that Butterfree, Beedrill, Zubat, and Vulpix are obvious choices. And Charmander and Pidgeotto are good choices too. Finally making up his mind he decided.

"I think I'll go with Beedrill and Vulpix for this one," Sora said.

"That's wonderful!" Professor Oak beamed. "But which one of your other Pokémon are you sending to me? I can't send Beedrill and Vupix over to you unless you send me two of yours."

"I'm going to send Bulbasaur and Squirtle to you," Sora said. "But I'm also be sending you my Sandshrew to you too if you don't mind."

"Not at all, my boy," Professor Oak said. "I'm ready when you are." Sora placed Bulbasaur's Pokéball first and sends it to Professor Oak's lab. A flash came in from the professor's lab as he went fornthe Pokéball. "I have just recieved your Bulbasaur. Now I'll be waiting for your Squirtle."

"Squirtle's Pokéball is all set, Professor," Sora said as he placed Squirtle's Pokéball on the transporter. The Pokéball teleports straight to Professor Oak's lab. Once the two Pokémon are in Professor Oak's care. Sora sends Sandshrew's Pokéball right into the Professor's lab.

"Your Bulbasaur, Squirtle, and Sandshrew have arrived safely," Professor Oak said as he smiled. "Now I'll be sending Beedrill and Vulpix over to you. I'll be sending your Vulpix first"

"I'm ready," Sora said. He waited patiently as the first Pokéball transported to his location. Sora grabbed the Pokéball and held it up to the screen. "I just got Vulpix."

"And now for Beedrill," the Professor said as he teleports the Pokéball over to Sora. Sora picked up the second Pokéball and held it up.

"I just recieved Beedrill. And one more thing," Sora said.

"And what is it?" Professor Oak asked.

"What happened to your eye?" Sora asked.

"Oh that," Professor Oak said as he placed his hand over his left eye. "Your Primeape sort of expressed its arrival. But it seems to have gotten along with your other Pokémon, though."

Sora was surprised by this. "Really?" Sora raised a brow. Sora was certain Primeape would just run a rampage all over Professor Oak's ranch, but somehow he had calmed down. Sora decided not to question it until he calls Primeape over to him. Just then a whistling sound is heard in the background.

"Of course. Oh! I have to go! The water's boiling!" Professor Oak said. "Good luck with your match!" Professor Oak said as he hung up. Sora hung up as well as he headed outside to begin his training for his upcoming battle.

But before he does that, he leaves a note next to Kairi not wanting to wake her up. Pikachu wakes up, but Sora shushed Pikachu not wanting to draw attention.

"I'm off to do some training," Sora whispered. "You can spend the day with Kairi and the others today. Think you can do that?"

"Pikachu," Pikachu nodded also whispering.

Sora snuck out without making a sound. Once outside he made his way to the park to begin his training.

Back inside the Pokémon Center, Kairi was dreaming happily about Sora winning the Pokémon League. Sora accepted his trophy and ran up to Kairi.

A camera crew ran up to Sora with microphones pointed to him.

"Congratulations, Sora!" One of the interviewers said. "You have just won the Pokémon League! What is the secret to your success?!"

Sora just smiled humbly.

"No secret," Sora simply answered. "All I did was train hard and never gave up."

"But would you have gotten this far without the support of your travel companions?" Another interviewer asked.

"Yes and no," Sora answered. "But the one I want to thank especially is Kairi." Sora walked to her and took her by the hand. He then picked her up in his arms bridal style. "This special girl; the love of my life. I would never have gotten this far if it weren't for her."

"Sora, I.." Kairi paused.

"I love you, Kairi," Sora confessed placing a kiss on her lips with so much passion.

Kairi was lost in the passion as she returned the kiss to her champion. Cameras flashed and the crowd roared as they cheered on. In reality, Kairi smiled very happily as Mallow and Kiawe had just woke up. Kiawe and Mallow grinned as they knew what she was dreaming about.

Pikachu jumped up and rubbed her awake. Kairi slowly woke up with a yawn.

"Oh! Kiawe, Mallow," Kairi said still drowsy. "Good morning."

"Morning sleeping beauty," Mallow said jokingly. "Had a very nice dream?"

Kairi looked at the two of them when she blushed at that question. She noticed a small note in Pikachu's mouth. She took the note and read it.

Kairi,

Sorry for taking off without telling you.

I didn't want to wake you.

I've gone out to do some training.

And don't worry, I'll be sure to eat something.

I'll meet you and the others over at the Gym.

Sora.

PS

Pikachu will be keeping you company.

Kairi folded the note as she placed the note in her pocket. Kairi climbed down from her bunk and looked at Pikachu.

"Pikachu," Pikachu smiled at her.

"I guess we'll be spending the day together, Pikachu," Kairi said as she patted the mouse Pokémon on the head.

"Pikachu," Pikachu chirped as he always liked the feeling of her hands. Pikachu jumped onto Kairi's shoulder as she, Kiawe, and Mallow joined the others to look around the city.

Over to Sora, he held two of his Pokéballs and threw them in the air.

"Come out, Vulpix and Beedrill!" Sora said as the Pokéballs popped opened. Beedrill greeted Sora with his buzz.

"Vulpix," Vulpix yawned.

"Well guys this will be a training session to remember!" Sora said. "We'll be up against Grass Types, we need to up our game!" Beedrill buzzed to that.

"Vul," Vuplix smiled.

"That's the spirit!" Sora said. "Now let's get started!" Sora pulled out two more Pokéballs and threw them in the air. "Charmander and Pidgeotto! Come on out!" The Pokéballs let's out Charmander and Pidgeotto for the training expercise. Unknown to Sora, the Rowlet from before is watching them from a tree just looking at the boy with interest.

Meanwhile over to Kairi, Pikachu, Mallow, Lana, Acerola, Lillie, Mina, and Hapu since they're having a girl's day out and the boys stuck around the Pokémon Center. Although technically Pikachu is a boy Pokémon, but he wanted to spend time with her even if Sora wasn't joining them.

The girls were taken by the sights of the city and they made a stop as their nostrils are greeted by a heavenly scent.

"Do any of you smell that?" Lillie asked happily.

"It's perfume," Lana said.

"Pika," Pikachu said.

The girls and Pikachu went to over to the source of the smell; a perfume shop. Unknown to them a boy with an arrogant streak saw the girls go in and sneered at the shop disgustingly. He wore a red shirt with a brown vest, blue jeans, black sneakers. He wore a bull skull necklace with crossbones, and has messy dark green hair.

"I hate perfume," the boy said with a sneer.

The shop attendants were talking among themselves as they are approached by the girls.

"Welcome, young ladies," one the attendants greeted. "What can we do for you?"

"Well we would like to sample your perfume," Lillie spoke up for the group. Mina nodded.

"Well, you came to the right place," the second attendant said with a smile. The girls tried samples of the perfumes. They found the scents to their liking. The boy just looked at them as he huffed and entered the shop.

The attendants sprayed a bit on Kairi's wrist.

"This scent is one of our most popular," the first attendant said. "It's called Daffodil's Dream."

Kairi and Pikachu took a whiff and found the scent to their liking.

"It smells like a garden," Kairi said.

"Pika," Pikachu added.

She imagined how Sora would react if he caught a whiff of Kairi's perfume smell.

In her imagination, Sora sniffed Kairi's hand and he fell on his back only to get up and hold her in his arms.

"You smell heavenly, Kairi," the imaginary Sora said. Kairi quickly snapped back to reality as she didn't feel right just taking something without paying for it.

"We're having a fragrance sale," the third attendant said.

"I would like to know how much is it going to cost," Kairi said.

"You shouldn't buy any of that," the boy said to her. "All perfume is a waste of money! And it stinks!"

"And who are you?" Kairi asked.

"I resent that remark!" A new voice called. Everyone turned to see a woman dressed in a blue kimono and her hair style done as in a manner of a noble Japanese woman.

"It's the manager," one of the attendants recognized.

"Young man, are you accusing me of overcharging my customers with inferior perfume?" the manager asked.

"I'm just saying that all perfumes are just a rip-off! It's nothing but smelling shit!" the boy said.

"How dare you insult perfume with such a foul language!" the manger said.

"Get out and don't come back!" The first attendant said.

"I wouldn't be caught dead here anyway!" the boy said flipping them off. He just walked away in an angry huff. Kiawe, Sophocles, and Illima were walking down the street looking for the girls and Sora when they bumped into a dark green-haired boy with a bad attitude. "Get out of my way!" He shouted pushing Sophocles to the ground.

"Hey!" Sophocles shouted as he fell.

"What was that about?" Kiawe asked angrily, helping Sophocles back up.

"I don't think I know," Illima said. "But I doubt very much we'll see him again."

Both boys nodded in agreement.

Over to Sora, Sora's training was coming nicely as Vulpix has learned to use Flame Burst. Sora felt pretty proud of himself with that one. He felt confident with that.

"Good work, guys," Sora said. "Now we can head to the Celadon Gym."

Sora called back Beedrill and Vulpix back into their Pokéballs and was about to the same with Charmander and Pidgeotto when Rowlet swooped down with what looks like a kick.

"What the?!" Sora exclaimed. "What kind of Pokémon is that?" Sora pulled his Pokédex to identify the new Pokémon.

Rowlet, the Grass Quill Pokémon

Type: Grass/Flying

During the day, it builds up energy via photosynthesis. At night, it flies silently through the sky, on the prowl for prey. At a distance, it launches its sharp feathers while flying about. If the enemy gets too close, Rowlet switches tactics and delivers vicious kicks.

"A Rowlet, huh?" Sora said putting his Pokédex away. "Looks like a new Pokémon to catch! Pidgeotto! Go get it!" Pidgeotto obeyed to fly up to Rowlet. "Quick Attack!" Pidgeotto flew fast hitting Rowlet before it could dodge. "Now hit it with Steel Wing!" Pidgeotto's wings went metallic and struck Rowlet to the ground. Sora pulled out a Pokéball and threw it at Rowlet. Rowlet gets sent inside. As the Pokéball hits the ground, the ball wobbles around before stars swirls around the Pokéball confirming the catch. "Gotcha! Rowlet is mine!" Sora walked up and picked up the Pokéball. "Better get you to the Pokémon Center before we get to the Gym. And good job, Pidgeotto." Sora called both Pidgeotto and Charmander back to their Pokéballs. Sora heads off to the Pokémon Center

Over to Kairi, Pikachu and the Alolan girls in the perfume shop.

"Sorry that you ladies had to witness that," the manager apologized.

"It's alright," Mallow said.

"It's going to take a lot more than one guy to ruin our day," Lana said.

"By the way," the manager said. "Aren't any of you heading to the Celadon City Gym?"

"We're meeting a friend there," Lillie answered.

"And he's probably there challenging the Gym Leader to a battle," Acerola said and Mina nodding.

"Well the Gym Leader's not there," the manager said.

"Not sure what you mean," Kairi said confused.

"Pikachu," Pikachu said also confused.

"Well, I am the Gym Leader," the manager said. "My name is Erika by the way."

"You're the Gym Leader?!" All the girls exclaimed.

"That's right," Erika said as she nodded. "And you said it's a boy who is going to challenge me?"

"That's right," Kairi said getting over her shock. "We all came here together and he went off somewhere to train. And we're here enjoying a girls day out. But his Pikachu just joined us for the ride."

"Pikachu!" Pikachu chirped.

"Oh, you mean Pikachu isn't yours?" Erika asked. Kairi shook her head. "Too bad, because I thought you were a trainer."

Mallow gestured Erika to come over and whispered in the ear.

"She has a thing with this boy we're traveling with," Mallow whispered. "A very romantic thing."

Erika smiled at that. She looked at Kairi.

"So what are your names by the way?" Erika asked.

"I'm Kairi."

"Lillie."

"Lana."

"Mallow."

"Mina."

"Acerola."

"And I'm Hapu."

"It's nice to meet you all," Erika said. "I'll get changed out from this and meet you outside."

Meanwhile over to the Celadon City Gym, the boy from the perfume shop demanded to enter the Gym, but he had no luck.

"What the hell do you mean I can't get in?!" the boy roared. "I came here for a Gym battle and I'm going to have one!"

"I wouldn't let you in of you were the last Pokémon trainer on earth," the head of staff said to him.

"Why the hell not?!" The boy roared.

"We don't allow anyone who says that perfume is a stinky rip-off," the head of staff explained.

"You mean I can't get in all because I said that it's a waste of money and that it smells like crap?" the boy asked. The head of staff nodded. "That's bullshit!"

"You can say what you want," the head of staff said. "What I don't like is anyone who talks about perfume anywhere. And what else I don't like is your potty mouth."

She took out a big stamp with an X on it and pressed it against the boy's face. The sliding doors shut leaving the boy furious.

"You'll be sorry!" The boy hissed. "Nobody does denies Drake the Terrible and gets away with it! Nobody! Nobody! NOBODY!" He storms off plotting his revenge against the Celadon City Gym.

The staff just watched him leave.

"Good riddance," the head of staff said. Unknown to Drake, Team Rocket sneaks in with a ladder and breaks into the Gym.

"This is where the rumored secret formula is stored," Jessie said.

"And with that, we can make our own brand of perfume making us rich!" James said.

"We could be even richer than the boss!" Meowth added.

They climbed up to the window and looked around the place.

"Here secret formula, formula, formula," Jessie said. "Where are you?"

Team Rocket looked around and gasped as they all saw a Pokémon that looks quite similar to Oddish, but it has has a flower that seems not in bloom and has four reddish pink leaves on the side of the bulb. And on the bulb it has one dot one dot on each of sides of the bulb.

"What's a Gloom doing here?" Meowth asked.

"Maybe it's asleep," James said. James waved his hand in front of the Gloom.

"Gloom," Gloom responded confirming that it's awake.

"James you woke it up!" Jessie yelled jumping back.

"I'll take care of it!" James said throwing his Pokéball. "Koffing! Go!"

The Pokéball lets Koffing out ready for a battle.

"Koffing!" Koffing said upon entry.

"Use Smog now!" James ordered as Koffing lets out his Smog attack all over the room. Gloom opened its mouth and inhaled all the noxious gas.

"That Gloom inhaled all the gas!" Jessie said.

"GLOOM!" Gloom said letting out its stench.

Team Rocket couldn't breathe as they desperately tried to get out only to be conked in the head from behind. The staff came in with gas masks on. The head of staff took hers off and stamps their faces.

"That should teach you to break in here!" the head of staff said.

Elsewhere in the City, Team Rocket is tied up with the red X marks on their faces.

"I can't believe we failed on getting that secret formula!" Jessie howled. "We were so close, I could practically feel it in my fingertip!"

"Some idea that was," Meowth said. "I should have known that would backfire just like your other ideas!"

"Oh shut up!" Jessie barked at Meowth.

Jessie and Meowth continue to argue and argue causing the tree branch to break and fall with Team Rocket falling along screaming.

"Ow," James groaned.

"Well, that definitely worked," Meowth said in a daze.

"Come on you two," Jessie said. "We have much planning to do to get that secret formula! And teach those Gym bozos not to disrespect Team Rocket!" Jessie and hopped with Meowth hitting his head.

"Ow! Ow! Ow!" Meowth yelled. "Stop with the hopping! Ow!"

Over to Sora he was on his way to the Pokémon Center when he spotted Kiawe, Sophocles, and Illima.

"Hey guys," Sora greeted. "Where are the girls?"

"They were having a girl's day out while you were busy training," Sophocles answered.

"And we came looking for you," Kiawe said.

"Is everything all set for your match?" Illima asked.

"Sure is," Sora nodded. "I just hope my training has paid off. And I caught a new Pokémon when I got done."

"A new Pokémon?" Kiawe raised a brow.

"What is it?" Sophocles asked anxiously.

"I'll just show you," Sora said taking out a Pokéball and threw it in the air. Kiawe, Sophocles, and Illima were surprised to see a Rowlet in front of them.

"A Rowlet?" Sophocles asked.

"Not likely to find one all the way out here," Illima said. "How ever did you come across it?"

"Like I said, I just bumped into it when I got done training. And then Rowlet just appeared right out of nowhere," Sora explained. "And what was that about not coming across a Rowlet?"

"What Illima means is that Rowlet is one of the starter Pokémon from the Alola Region," Kiawe explained. Illima pulled out two more photos showing a cat with black fur. It has a short nose, red eyes with yellow sclera and short ears with gray insides. It has two stripes on its head with a vertical line intersecting them. The lower part of its face is red with two tufts of fur on each side. It has a long tail with a tuft of fur at the end.

And another that looks like a small blue sea lion with large eyes, a long white snout with a pink round nose and black whiskers. It has two ears on each side of its head. Around its neck is a light blue ruff collar which extends out past its shoulders. It has four flippers which are the large ones with white markings isolating its toes and the small rear ones.

"These two are also starter Pokémon in Alola," Illima explained. "The one on the left is Litten; a Fire Type. And the one on the right is Popplio; a Water Type."

"Much like Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle," Kiawe said.

"That's cool!" Sora beamed. "I just caught a starter Pokémon from your home region." Rowlet looked up and landed on Sora's head. Despite it being spikey, Rowlet liked the feeling of his hair. Rowlet fell to sleep

The boys were heading to the Pokémon Center to get Rowlet treated up when they ran into the girls and a woman wearing a kimono with the pant legs being red and the top part being dark yellow and Pokéballs on the sleeves.

"Sora," Kairi said.

"Pika," Pikachu said.

"Hey Kairi," Sora greeted.

Erika leaned over to Mallow.

"Is that him?" Erika whispered to her. "The one with the spikey hair?"

"That's him alright," Mallow confirmed.

Erika smiled at the two of them.

Kairi looked at the top of Sora's head and giggled.

"What?" Sora asked.

"Is that a new hat or something?" Kairi asked while giggling.

"Huh?" Sora asked before remembering Rowlet. "Oh right!" Sora poked Rowlet at the side waking it up and flying around the group.

"Is that a Rowlet?" Lana asked.

"It is," Mallow said. "But how did it get here?"

"It must have flown here all by itself," Mina guessed.

"That sounds unlikely, but that could be it," Hapu said shrugging her shoulders.

"Maybe," Mina said.

"Oh my gosh he's so cute!" Kairi said as she held out her arm. Rowlet perched on her arm as Kairi ruffled the top of its head.

"A Rowlet is pretty rare outside the Alola Region," Erika said. "I'll have to agree with Kairi since Rowlet is a Grass Type."

"Who are you?" Sora asked the woman.

"My name is Erika," Erika answered. "The Gym Leader of the Celadon Gym. And I understand that you're here for a battle, yes?"

"Yeah," Sora nodded.

"Then I accept your challenge," Erika said.

"Great!" Sora said. "But don't you think that we should get Rowlet over to the Pokémon Center, first?"

"Oh, don't worry about that," Erika said. "I have something that can help your Rowlet heal up."

Sora was a bit confused with that, but he nodded as he accepted it.

As the group headed over to the Celadon City Gym. The group were instantly greeted; the girls mostly since the staff were all female. Sora looked around and just saw how many Grass Type Pokémon there were. Bellsprout, Oddish, and a Pokémon that seems to be six eggs bound together seems to be exercising. He even saw a couple of Weepinbell and a Gloom getting watered. Sora pulled out his Pokédex and scanned the Grass Types.

Bellsprout, the Flower Pokémon

Type: Grass/Poison

Bellsprout's thin and flexible body lets it bend and sway to avoid any attack, however strong it may be. From its mouth, this Pokémon spits a corrosive fluid that melts even iron.

Exeggcute, the Egg Pokémon

Type: Grass/Psychic

This Pokémon consists of six eggs that form a closely knit cluster. The six eggs attract each other and spin around. When cracks increasingly appear on the eggs, Exeggcute is close to evolution.

"Does that feel good?" one of the staff members asked.

Rowlet flew off Sora and landed on the ground. Some of the other plant-like Pokémon went up to Rowlet curious about this Pokémon.

"Don't crowd around Rowlet, little ones," Erika said. "It isn't nice to do so." Erika took out a bowl and poured out a sap-like substance into the bowl. Rowlet sniffed the sap and drank it. Rowlet liked it instantly and drank more.

"You like that, Rowlet?" Sora asked his newest Pokémon. Rowlet coos as he states that he does. "How did you do that?" Sora asked the Gym Leader.

"Just a little something I whipped together mixing in Oran Berries along with other healing substances," Erika explained. "And after the battle, I could make some for the others if you like."

"Thanks," Sora said. Sora liked this Gym Leader since she reminded him of Brock and Misty; just as nice. Sora looked around the Gym and saw his friends enjoying themselves. Mallow let out her new Bellsprout and another Pokémon he had never seen before. Mallow's Bellsprout was a tad bigger than the other Bellsprout. Also this new Pokémon, which she called Tsareena, a Pokémon with its face and lower torso being white. Its eyes and lashes are magenta. A muffler-like design covers its neck. It has slender arms and legs that are the same color as its eyes. On its head, three long leaves extend to the lower half of its leg, with a bigger leaf flipping near its crown. The backs of the leaves have small circular yellow patterns. Its crown is colored similarly to its overall color scheme.

Sora then remembered Mimikyu during the battle with Team Rocket back at the Pokémon Tower in Lavender Town. Sora was wondering what's under its cloth, but Acerola told him not to look under it. And when Sora asked why not, she told him that someone looked under the cloth and died from an overwhelming fight. And that scared Sora out of his curiosity; so he decided that to leave it alone.

Sora looked over to Kairi and saw how Erika's staff made Kairi placed some flowers all over her hair.

"Oh so cute! You look just like a fairy!" One of the staff members gushed.

"I'll say she does," Sora said in his thoughts. Erika looked at Sora staring at Kairi dreamily.

Meanwhile, Team Rocket managed to cut themselves loose from the ropes, and Meowth with a few lumps on his head.

"A whole lotta lumps!" Meowth said in a dumb voice. Meowth fell over on the ground.

"Shake it off, Meowth!" Jessie picked up Meowth and shook him. "We've got work to do!"

"Jessie's right," James said. "We're just going to steal that secret formula from the Gym. But the question is how?"

"Follow me," Jessie said as James and Meowth followed.

Over to Drake he waited until the cost was clear; he snuck in through the window of the Gym. He spotted Erika and instantly recognized her.

"It's the bitch from the perfume shop," Drake said in his thoughts. "She'll regret ever crossing me!" Drake clinched fist and gritted his teeth. Erika was sharing a story with Sora, Kairi, Pikachu, and the Alolan nine.

"... and so Omanyte was sad he had to say goodbye to the new friends he had made; but it was not forever. He promised one day, he would visit his friends from that far away beach. The end," Erika concluded.

"Now that's a story!" Sophocles sobbed.

"Pika!" Pikachu added.

Everyone nodded in agreement.

Sora took a good look at Erika's Gloom and pulled out his Pokédex. The image on the Pokédex showed Gloom has four spots on the bulb.

Gloom, the Weed Pokémon

The evolved form of Oddish

Type: Grass/Poison

Gloom releases a foul fragrance from the pistil of its flower. When faced with danger, the stench worsens. If this Pokémon is feeling calm and secure, it does not release its usual stinky aroma.

"Foul fragrance?" Sora tilted his head.

"But for some reason this one isn't giving off a bad smell," Kairi said.

"Well Gloom doesn't smell bad all the time," Erika said. "It only happens whenever Gloom is scared or in danger. And as long as Gloom feels safe and let it know that you want to be its friend."

"Sounds like you know a lot about your Gloom," Sora pointed out.

"I do," Erika said. "I first met Gloom when I was a little girl. I ended up getting lost and I was attacked by a Grimer. I've never felt so scared in my life. And that's when Gloom came along; somehow it understood how scared I was and decided to come to my rescue. Ever since day that day Gloom and I have been good friends. And I decided to become a trainer for Grass Type Pokémon."

"Now that's a strong friendship," Sora said.

"I'm very glad you feel that way, Sora," Erika said. "I hope that you're willing to give me everything you've got."

"I can say the same about you," Sora said.

Everything was ready for the battle between Sora and Erika. The two smiled as they waited in position.

"The battle between the Gym Leader Erika and the challenger Sora Ketchum from Pallet Town is about to begin!" the referee announced. "Both trainers will be using four Pokémon each. Only the challenger will be allowed to make substitutions. The battle will be over when all four of either trainer's Pokémon are unable to battle. Let the match begin!"

"My first Pokémon will be Tangela!" Erika throws her Pokéball and reveals a Pokémon that looks like that it's tangled in blue vines. Sora pulls out his Pokédex to ID this Pokémon.

Tangela, the Vine Pokémon

Type: Grass

Tangela's vines snap off easily if they are grabbed. This happens without pain, allowing it to make a quick getaway. The lost vines are replaced by newly grown vines the very next day.

"Then my Pokémon will be Vulpix!" Sora throws his Pokéball as it lets out Vulpix.

"Vulpix!" Vulpix shouted upon entry.

"Good thinking of using a Fire Type against my Grass Type," Erika complemented. "But it dosen't mean that it'll stand a chance."

Kairi, Pikachu, and the Alolan nine are watching the battle start with anticipation for this was the first Gym battle that the Alolan nine had seen.

"Vulpix is a pretty good start," Illima said.

"Sora is guaranteed for a win with a Fire Type," Sophocles said.

"You may have the first move," Erika said.

"Thanks! Vulpix! Start up with Ember!" Sora ordered.

"Vulpix!" Vulpix shot a small fireball right at Tangela.

"Tangela! Dodge it!" Erika ordered. Tangela dodged the Ember just in time. "Now use Vine Whip!"

Tangela's blue vines lashed out at Vulpix hitting her on the mark.

"Dodge it!" Sora called. Vulpix ran fast avoiding the vines coming at her. "Use Quick Attack!" Vulpix ran fast towards Tangela hitting her opponent with a hard hit. "Now use Flame Burst!"

"Vulpix!" Vulpix forms a big fireball and sends towards Tangela.

"Tangela! Quick! Get out of the way!" Erika said. Tangela barley dodged as the Flame Burst in time. "Use Ancient Power!"

Tangela starts glowing and fires a silver see-through stone and sends it towards Vulpix. Kairi figured this must be how Erika deals with Fire Types. Sora wasn't calling it quits just yet.

"Dodge with Quick Attack!" Sora said. Vulpix ran avoiding the prehistoric rocks in the process. Vulpix jumps in front of Tangela. "Flamethrower!" Vupix fires Flamethrower right at Tangela. Tangela falls to the ground beaten.

"Tangela is unable to battle!" the referee announced. "Vulpix wins!"

Kairi and the Alolan nine cheered as Sora won the first round.

"Way to go, Sora!" Kairi cheered.

"I knew he could do it!" Kiawe said.

"Only because he thought it through," Mallow said.

Erika calls Tangela back to its Pokéball.

"You deserve a good rest," Erika said. "Not bad, Sora! But it's not over yet! Weepinbell! Go!"

Erika throws another Pokéball letting out her Weepinbell. Sora pulls out his Pokédex once again.

Weepinbell, the Fly Catcher Pokémon

The evolved form of Bellsprout

Type: Grass/Poison

Weepinbell has a large hook on its rear end. At night, the Pokémon hooks on to a tree branch and goes to sleep. If it moves around in its sleep, it may wake up to find itself on the ground.

"Okay Vulpix, come back!" Sora said calling Vulpix back to her Pokéball. "It's your turn, Charmander!" Sora said throwing Charmander's Pokéball.

"Char!" Charmander said entering battle.

"Weepinbell! Razor Leaf!" Erika ordered.

"Weepinbell!" Weepinbell swung his leaves as leaves came flying out.

"Block that with Flamethrower!" Sora ordered.

"CHAR!" Charmander fires Flamethrower burning the incoming leaves. The burned leaves comes raining down as Weepinbell tried to avoid it.

"Now finish up with Fire Fang!" Sora ordered.

"Charmander! Char!" Charmander ran towards Weepinbell with his jaws covered in fire and hits Weepinbell right on the mark. Weepinbell falls to the ground knocked out.

"Weepinbell is unable to battle," the referee announced. "Charmander wins!"

"This is even better than I thought!" Acerola said.

"Two down, two to go!" Lana said.

"You've raised your Pokémon well, Sora," Erika said. "But lets see if you're up against this! Ivysaur! Go!" Erika throws her Pokéball and lets out a Pokémon that looks like Bulbasaur, but a bit larger and the bulb had bloomed into a pink flower and surrounded by four leaves. Sora pulls his Pokédex and points it at the Pokémon.

Ivysaur, the Seed Pokémon

The evolved form of Bulbasaur

Type: Grass/Poison

There is a bud on this Pokémon's back. To support its weight, Ivysaur's legs and trunk grow thick and strong. If it starts spending more time lying in the sunlight, it's a sign that the bud will bloom into a large flower soon.

"Ivysaur huh?" Sora said. "Charmander! You still good?"

"Char!" Charmander said as he gave a thumbs up.

"Great!" Sora said. "Use Fire Fang!"

"Char!" Charmander charged at Ivysaur with Fire Fang. Erika didn't seemed too worried.

"Ivysaur! Block it with Vine Whip!" Erika said.

"Ivy!" Ivysaur used Vine Whip around Charmander's mouth cancelling the move.

"Charmander!" Sora called out.

Kairi and the others gasped as Ivysaur slammed Charmander to the ground.

"Oh no! Charmander!" Kairi exclaimed.

"Body Slam!" Erika orderd as Ivysaur slams its body right on Charmander knocking him out.

"Charmander is unable to battle!" The referee announced. "Ivysaur wins!"

"Way to go, Ivysaur!" Erika's staff cheered.

"Charmander return," Sora said calling Charmander back. "You gave it your all." Sora pulls out another Pokéball and throws it in the air. "Beedrill! Go!" Bedrill buzzes as he enters the battle field.

"So you had a Beedrill as a back up," Erika pointed out. "I can see you did come fully prepared for this. But it won't be enough. Ivysaur! Take Down!"

"Ivysaur!" Ivysaur charged at Beedrill with such ferocity.

"Beedrill! Poison Jab!" Sora ordered as Beedrill tried to lunge at Bulbasaur's evolved form with his forelegs glowing purple. Ivysaur managed to dodge the move.

"Come on, Beedrill," Kairi said. "You can do it."

Lillie winked at Lana as she chuckled at bit; Kiawe just glared at the two girls reminding the two of them of the battle in front of them.

"Ivysaur! Use Leech Seed!" Erika ordered. A seed comes out of Ivysaur's flower and fires it right at Beedrill's stinger. Beedrill's body became wrapped in a vine and saps away at Beedrill's strength. Beedrill falls to the ground due to lack of stamina. "Take Down!" Ivysaur charged at Beedrill sending flying into the air and falls right next to Sora.

"Beedrill!" Sora gasped.

"Beedrill is unable to battle," the referee announced. "Ivysaur wins!"

"Sora has two left," Sophocles said.

"Sora has to get his head in the game if he wants to win," Lana said.

"I know he can win," Kairi said. "He's going to win."

Sora pulls out Vulpix's Pokéball and throws it in the air.

"Back in the game, Vulpix!" Sora said letting Vulpux out.

"Vulpix!" Vulpix shouted.

"Vulpix have beaten my Tangela, but it won't beat Ivysaur so easily," Erika said.

"Vulpix isn't going down without a fight either," Sora said.

"You're right," Erika said. "Let's do it the hard way. Ivysaur! Take Down!"

"Ivy, Ivy, Ivy!" Ivysaur charged at Vulpix determined to put an end to it.

"Quick Attack!" Vulpix ran passed Ivysaur. "Flame Burst!" Vulpix fires Flame Burst right where Ivysaur is. The attack hit before Ivysaur could react. Sora and Erika stared at the battlefield wondering Ivysaur was still able to battle. Ivysaur was still standing, but it seemed rather exhausted.

"Ivysaur! Leech Seed!" Ivysaur fired Leech Seed to Vulpix; but Sora saw that coming.

"Fool me once, shame on you," Sora said. "Fool me twice, shame on me! Flamethrower!"

"Vul... PIX!" Vulpix fired her strongest Flamethrower right through Ivysaur's Leech Seed, burning it to a crisp; the Flamethrower makes a direct hit to Ivysaur.

Kairi smiled as she remembered how Charmander launched a powerful Flamethrower when he battled Primeape.

Ivysaur landed on the ground. Ivysaur tried to get back up, but it falls back down.

"Ivysaur is unable to battle!" The referee announced. "Vulpix wins!"

"Yes!" Kairi cheered as she held Pikachu in the air. "He did it!"

"Pi, Pika, Pikachu!" Pikachu said.

"He made a burning comeback!" Hapu said smiling.

"Now Erika just has one Pokémon left to use," Lillie said. "And I have a feeling on which one it is."

Everyone looked at the blonde as they silently agreed.

"Return Ivysaur!" Erika said calling Ivysaur back. "You've done well. You deserve a good long rest." Erika looks over to Sora and smiled. "Impressive, Sora. Not many trainers could have taken Ivysaur down so easily. But lets see how you handle my next one. Gloom! Go!" Erika throws her Pokéball and lets out her very first Pokémon. Sora was ready for this.

Over to Team Rocket, they managed to succeed in breaking into the Gym. They managed to find a vault. Using Ekans's Acid to dissolve the vault, they managed to swipe the secret formula for her perfume.

Drake watched the battle closely. He was determined for Sora to win so that he can swipe in and take the badge even if he does win and ruin Erika for the insult her staff had given him.

Over to the battle...

"You ready, Vulpix?" Sora asked.

"Vulpix!" Vulpix nodded as she panted.

"Vulpix seems worn out," Mallow said.

"Well Vulpix did use up some energy from the battle with Ivysaur," Kiawe said.

"You're right," Kairi said. "She won't last for long like this."

"Vulpix! Quick Attack!" Sora ordered as Vulpix ran towards the weed Pokémon. Before Vulpix could land a hit, Gloom unleashes a smelly fragrance, infuriating the fox Pokémon's nostrils.

"Very good, Gloom!" Erika said. "Moonblast!" Gloom's flower forms a whitish pink ball of energy from the opening of the flower and fired it at Vulpix. While being taken by the odor, Vulpix gets hit by the attack. Vulpix was knocked out.

"Vulpix is unable to battle," the referee announced. "Gloom wins!"

"Looks like we both have one Pokémon left," Erika said. "You got anymore surprises in store for me?"

"You'll be sorry that you asked that," Sora said after calling Vulpix back and holding Pidgeotto's Pokéball. Before he could throw it, Rowlet pops out instead. Everyone was surprised by this. Rowlet pops out of his own Pokéball at his own accord. "I'll be lying if I said I planned on that." Sora had already planned to use Pidgeotto for the battle, but he couldn't change Pokémon since Rowlet is already out. And maybe this will test his strength. "Let's get the show on the road, Rowlet." Rowlet hoots as he is ready for a battle!

"Your new Rowlet seems determined," Erika said. "Just because it's a Flying Type doesn't mean Rowlet will have a chance to win!"

"I'll never know unless I try," Sora said remaining confident. "Let's start up with Tackle!"

Rowlet charges down with his foot ready for a pretty good kick.

"Gloom! Dodge that!" Erika said. Gloom moves out of the way before Tackle could hit. Gloom lets out its stink once again. Rowlet was taking in the foul odor to much of its dismay. Erika smirked that she was definitely in for an easy win. But something happened unexpectedly. Rowlet flapped his little wings as fast as he could and blew the smell away, but the wind it provided was purple.

"Did you see that?" Lana asked.

"Rowlet used Ominous Wind to blow Gloom's foul fragrance away," Illima said. "I doubt even she saw that coming."

"I don't think Sora saw it coming either," Acerola said.

"Pikachu," Pikachu said.

"That took me completely by surprise," Erika said. "Your Rowlet got lucky. But its luck will turn! Moonblast!"

Gloom fired Moonblast as Rowlet took flight.

"Rowlet! Leafage!" Sora ordered as Rowlet fired small leaves from his wings. The attack made contact with Moonblast causing an explosion. "Ominous Wind!" Rowlet flapped his wings fast catching Gloom in the eerie breeze. "Now use Peck!" Rowlet charged at Gloom, pecking it like a woodpecker.

"Don't give in to that, Gloom!" Erika said. "Petal Dance!" A rain of flower petals came raging in the Gym, covering Kairi's hair with the petals.

"Rowlet! Try your best to avoid it!" Sora said as Rowlet flew around the room trying to avoid the petals. But there were just too many. "Okay new plan! Ominous Wind again!" Rowlet flapped his wings sending the flower petals back at Gloom, hitting it. Gloom was down but not out, but Gloom got dizzy.

"Gloom's confused!" One the staff members gasped.

"That's what happens when Petal Dance is used," spoke another.

Gloom felt dizzy doing its best to keep its balance, but Sora took advantage of the situation. "Rowlet use Tackle!" Rowlet gave Gloom a powerful kick on the side. "Now use Peck! Then follow up with Leafage!" Rowlet did exactly that pecking at Gloom again. And fired Leafage right at Gloom. Gloom fell to the ground. Gloom was definitely down and out.

"Gloom is unable to battle!" The referee announced. "Rowlet wins! The winner is Sora Ketchum of Pallet Town!"

Kairi cheered as Sora had just won. The Alolan nine just applauded as they witnessed an intense battle. The Gym staff were at a total loss that their Gym Leader had lost the battle. But they knew that she's a Gym Leader afterall. Erika went over to Gloom and helped it up.

"Are you okay, Gloom?" Erika asked with concern.

"Gloom," Gloom answered sadly.

"Don't apologize," Erika said kindly. "You gave it everything you had. Win or lose, I'll be proud of you." Erika hugged Gloom as Gloom hugged her back.

Sora smiled at the sight of Pokémon and trainer giving a hug even after losing.

"That was a great battle, Erika," Sora said.

"Thank you, Sora," Erika said. "The way that you handled your Pokémon is very impressive. And your new Rowlet even took me by surprise by its sudden burst of strength. So as proof of your victory, I will reward you with this Rainbow Badge." Erika presents Sora a badge resembling a flower with rainbow petals. The colors are in an order of red, orange, yellow, light green, green, turquoise, blue, and violet. Sora was about to retrive his badge when something swooped in and snatched the badge right of the Gym Leader's hand.

Even Sora was caught off guard. They all looked around slas they saw a Meowth run up to Drake and handed him the badge.

"Hey! Who are you?" Sora demanded.

"I know you!" Erika said. "You're that disrespectful young man from earlier! Return that badge this minute!"

"Why should I?" Drake hissed. "You and your other bitches embarrassed me by refusing my challenge just because of my views on the perfume shit! So if I can't battle you, I'll just take it!" Drake pulled out a couple of Pokéballs and threw them in the air. "And make you look bad as you did me! Scyther! go!"

The Pokéballs pops open to let out two green mantis-like Pokémon with syches on their arms.

"Scyther!" The first Scyther said.

"Sychter!" The second Scyther said.

"Cut everything up!" Drake ordered.

The Scyther starts slicing through everything. They even terrorized some of the Pokémon in the Gym. Sora and the rest had enough.

"You're not getting away with this!" Sora said. Erika stuck her arm out stopping Sora in his tracks.

"This is my Gym. And if he thinks he can get away with this, then he's sadly mistaken. Gloom!" Erika stated.

"Gloom, Gloom!" Gloom said ready to battle even after it lost. Gloom fired its stink fragrance at the two Scyther. They weren't intimidated. They spinned around blowing the smelly fragrance away.

"My Scyther don't scare that easy!" Drake said.

The Scyther caused serious damage to the Gym. They even destroyed the perfume in their inventory. Enough was enough, Sora couldn't just stand idly by and watch this and let someone leave with the badge that he had just earned fair and square. Sora looked at Pikachu.

"I know you said we should leave it to you, but we're lending a hand anyway! Pikachu! Let's go!" Sora said.

"Pika!" Pikachu nodded.

"You can count me in too!" Lana holding a Pokéball.

"Me too," Mina said pulling her's out.

"I'm game!" Hapu joined in.

"Shellder! Go!" Lana called out.

"Clefairy. I choose you," Mina said.

"Mudsdale! Go!" Hapu shouted.

Their Pokéballs let out Shellder, a Clefiary, and a chocolate brown horse like Pokémon with its hooves and hair around it are orange and extends to the knees. Mudsdale's snout is orange in color. The main is solid black with orange on the top of it. Multiple bunches of hair also come from the main, similarly tipped with orange at the end. Its tail is black tipped with orange as well.

"Shellder! Ice Beam!" Lana ordered. Shellder fires Ice Beam startling the Scyther.

"Clefairy! Meteor Mash!" Mina ordered in a low tone.

"Clefairy!" Clefairy swung its hand hitting one of the Scyther on the mark, send it back.

"Mega Kick!" Hapu ordered. Mudsdale gave a powerful kick with its back legs sending the other into Drake making him drop the badge.

"Pikachu! Thunderbolt!" Sora ordered.

"PIKACHU!" Pikachu let out Thunderbolt shocking Drake and his Scyther.

With Drake and his Scyther taken care of, Erika walked up to Sora and smiled at him.

"Thank you very much, Sora," Erika said gratefully. "You and your friends had done a great deal for us."

"Well, we don't need a reason to help someone," Sora said. "We just do it because it feels good."

Erika smiled at that, "That's true, I suppose."

Sora walked over to Drake to talk to him.

"Why would you want to ruin Erika for, anyway?" Sora asked.

"She wouldn't expect my challenge all because of I what said about perfume," Drake said. "I was so pissed off and felt humiliated, so I thought I would destroy her reputation by destroying her Gym and swipe that badge from you."

Sora understood his situation, but shook his head at that.

"Did you think that ruining someone like that would make things better?" Sora asked. "I mean, I get that she did was wrong, but what you did was wrong too. Two wrongs dosen't make a right. You shouldn't have to stomp on someone's beliefs and values just because you don't like it. And stealing a badge from another trainer isn't going to earn you a spot on the Pokémon League; you don't want to get in by lying and cheating your way to the top. You should try earning a badge with honesty and hard work."

"Sora's right," Erika said. "Everything he just said is true. I took what you said personal and felt offended, so I told the Gym staff not to let you in. But I was so round up about running my store, I was putting that before my duty as a Gym Leader. I should have accepted your challenge instead of letting personal matters get a hold of me. I will not press charges against you if you agree to help out around here until you pay off your debt." Drake thought about it for a moment before nodded accepting the condition. Erika picked up the badge on the ground, and undamaged by Pikachu's Thunderbolt. She held out the badge for him. "I believe this belongs to you."

Sora took the badge from her hand and smiled for the battle he had won.

"Thanks Erika," Sora said.

"No, thank you," Erika corrected him. "Thank you for reminding me of my duty." Sora smiled as Kairi walked up to him. Sora blushed as he noticed the flower petals in her hair.

"She does look like a fairy," Sora said in his thoughts. "Especially with all those petals in her hair."

Erika smiled at the two of them. Erika knew for certain Sora and Kairi make a good pair.

Just outside the Gym.

"That makes makes four badges earned!" Sora said.

"I guess you now have half of what you need?" Erika questioned.

"That's right," Sora said.

"You should make your way to Fushia City," Erika said. "The Gym Leader there is a tough one. But I wish you good luck on your way."

Sora, Kairi, Pikachu, and the Alolan said their goodbyes to Erika and the Gym's staff as they left for Fushia City.

As Sora and company were out of sight, one of the staff members came to her side.

"Erika! We have a promblem!" she said.

"What is it?" Erika asked.

"One of the formulas was stolen!" the staff member said.

"Which one?" Erika asked.

The staff member whispered into Erika's ear. Erika just smiled and chuckled.

"Oh you mean they took that," Erika said. "They must have thought that it was the secret formula. It's a good thing that I keep that at home." Erika laughed as she felt sorry for whoever stole what she was talking about.

Meanwhile over to Team Rocket, Jessie opened the stolen bottle only for their nostrils to be attacked by what seems to be a combination of old gym socks, dead fish, and some rotting meat. Team Rocket go off running getting away from the smell.

Meowth led the running said running.

"I don't get how I could smell anything without a nose!" Meowth said running.

"It looks like Team Rocket is blasting off again!" Jessie and James said running for it.

With four badges in hand, Sora was a little bit more closer to reach his goal to enter the Pokémon League. So he and his friends make a stop in a town not too far from Celadon City, but how will that turn out? Just wait for the next chapter and find out!