Pokemon Fan Fiction / Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Pokémon: Sora's Journey ❯ The Sapphire Steelix ( Chapter 35 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Episode 35: The Sapphire Steelix

This chapter is another take on the Orange Islands saga, but instead of the Crystal Onix, I figured that I would try something different like a Steelix entirely made of glass sapphire. And now on with the chapter!

Several days had passed since Popplio evolved into a Brionne. The group continued on towards Saffon City for Sora's sixth Gym match when they happen to bump into a familiar face. It was Tracey and he was in the area along with his Venonat.

"Tracey?" Sora and Kairi

Tracey turned to the group and smiled.

"Sora, Kairi and Pikachu!" Tracey called out. "Lillie, Illima, Lana, Kiawe, Mallow, Sophocles, Acerola, Mina, and Hapu, too! What brings you here?"

"We could ask you the same thing," Sora said.

"Pikachu," Pikachu nodded.

"It's been a while since we saw you at Porta Vista," Kairi said.

"It sure has," Tracey said as he nodded. "And I can see that you're all doing good for yourselves."

"You can say that," Sora said.

Sora, Kairi, Pikachu, the Alolan nine, and Tracey all sat down and talked about Sora's accomplishments since they last met, like how Sora won his Gym battle against Koga. And that he and Kairi are officially together.

"That's good to hear that you're a couple now. I just thought that you already were when I met you," Tracey said.

"Well let's talk about what you're doing here," Kiawe said.

"Well, I have been in the area for the last several days looking for some clues about a mysterious Pokémon living around here in the area," Tracey explained.

"Mysterious Pokémon?" Sora questioned.

"What kind of mysterious Pokémon are you talking about?" Mallow asked.

"Let me start by asking you this. Have any of you heard stories about a Sapphire Steelix?" Tracey asked.

"A Sapphire Steelix?" Lillie tilted her head.

"I heard something about that once," Kiawe said. "My grandpa would tell me stories about a Steelix with a body made entirely of sparkling blue glass sapphire."

"Your grandpa got it exactly right," Tracey said.

"A Steelix with a body made of sapphire," Sora said as he stroked his chin. He took out his Pokédex and looked up Steelix. The image of Steelix is revealed to be grayish silver snake-like Pokémon. Its body is divided into several gray-colored rocky sections, with blunt gray spikes protruding from three of those sections. It has a huge head, with large square-shaped teeth. Its eyes are red in color.

Steelix, the Iron Snake Pokémon

The evolved form of Onix

Type: Steel/Ground

Steelix lives even further underground than Onix. This Pokémon is known to dig toward the earth's core. There are records of this Pokémon reaching a depth of over six-tenths of a mile underground.

"And that is deep," Sora said as he put his Pokédex away.

"What got you interested in that thing, anyway?" Lana asked.

"It all started several days ago when I was by a river getting sketches on a couple of Poliwag. But something I didn't expect to happen was a bottle floating in the river had caught my eye. I grabbed the bottle and read the letter inside," Tracey explained taking the piece of paper out of his pocket and handed it to Kairi. She took the paper and read.

"If you have any about a Pokémon called a Sapphire Steelix, let me know right away. Marissa of Sunburst Town" Kairi read.

"Do you think that it could be real?" Acerola asked.

"Who knows? But I heard that there were a few people who have seen it," Kiawe said.

"Isn't Sunburst Town just near here?" Kairi asked.

"I'll look it up," Illima said as he's holding the map for Kiawe. He looked at the map throughly. "Here we are," he said pointing on the map. And it's just a few miles away from our current position."

"We should look into it," Sora said. "Right Pikachu?"

"Pika, Pika," Pikachu said as he nodded.

"Why do I feeling that you were going to say that?" Sophocles asked.

"It's worth looking into isn't it?" Hapu stated. "I would like to see it for myself."

"I'm on board if she is," Acerola said as Mina nodded.

"Count me in," Mallow said.

"Me too," Lana chipped in.

"Might as well," Sophocles said.

"Looks like we're all heading to Sunburst Town," Kairi said.

"Then let's go," Sora said. "Tracey, why don't you join us?"

"I'll be happy to tag along," Tracey said smiling.

Sora, Kairi, Pikachu, and the Alolan nine are joined by Tracey as they head down to Sunburst Town to look into the mysterious rumors of the Sapphire Steelix. As they reached the town, they all looked around and saw there were many glass shops all around.

"Look at all the glass," Lillie said amazed.

"Sunburst Town is famous for having all kinds of crystal and glass shops," Kairi pointed out. "I remember when my grandma would tell me when my grandpa would buy her some beautiful glass figures for her. She always told him that he didn't have to do that for her. But he insisted it's only because he wanted to see her happy."

"Your grandpa sounds like an amazing guy," Sora said to his girlfriend.

"Just like someone I know," Kairi said making Sora blush. He wondered if her dad and grandpa were like Sora at some point.

"Lots of artists live here and they make the glass right in the town," Tracey said. "People travel from all the world to buy it."

"Cool," Mina said.

"No surprises here," Sora said. He could tell that Mina is very interested since she's an artist herself.

"Wow. Everything is so shiny," Lana said smiling.

"I would like to have some of that," Hapu said beaming.

"Pika," Pikachu said fooling around with a glass jar. Sora looked down and saw what Pikachu was doing.

"Don't play with that, Pikachu!" Sora chided Pikachu. "Otherwise you'll have to pay for it if you break it!"

"Pika!" Pikachu winced at the thought of paying for money he didn't have and went up on his shoulder. "Cha!"

"You're still keeping this crummy store open?" a man's voice called out grabbing the group's attention. "Haven't you gone out of business yet?"

They all saw a man talking to a little girl whose red hair is tied in a bun and with pigtails. She also wore a yellow dress. She also has blue eyes as well. And she was being terrorized by one of the glass shop owners.

"No sir," the girl simply answered.

"I don't see why you don't close up shop. You got no merchandise. Tell your big brother he should give up already. He aint got no talent," the man said to her.

"Yes he does," the little girl said starting to cry. Hapu just frowned and growled by the way he just spoke to her. "He really does." Hapu started to run towards the man.

"Hapu wait!" Sora called out.

"Aw, come on, don't start crying on us," the man said to her.

Hapu grabbed him by the apron and against the wall.

"Just who do you think you are making a little girl cry like that?!" Hapu said almost yelling. "If I had a little sister and someone spoke like that to her I'd send them right to the hospital for that!"

"Hey, let go of me!" the man said. "And what's it to you how I talk to her? You know her or something?"

"No," Hapu said not letting go. "I just hate guys who would bully some little girl just for the heck of it!"

"Look, I'm sorry that you feel that way," the man said. "All I know is being next to them is killing my business."

"Then why don't you just move somewhere else and you won't have a problem?" Hapu hissed at him.

"Hapu, let him go!" Illima said.

"He's not worth it," Kairi added.

Hapu looked at her friends and grudgingly let go of him.

"You could just mind your business," the man said.

"You should take your own advice," Hapu said doing a punch-punch hand. The man took his leave. "Jerk." He took one last look at Hapu as she was flipping him off.

Sora, Kairi, Pikachu, the Alolan nine, and Tracey all turned to the girl.

"You okay?" Kairi asked kindly.

"Yeah," the girl answered.

"You don't run this shop all by yourself, do you?" Mallow asked.

"Uh-uh," she said shaking her head. "My big brother Mateo helps me out a lot."

"Well, that sounds nice," Lana said.

"Except now he feels real bad and dosen't want to make glass anymore," the girl said sadly.

"No?" Sora questioned being shocked. "Well that's a real bummer."

"Pikachu," Pikachu agreed.

"Why don't you tell us your name?" Acerola asked.

"My name's Marissa," she introduced.

"Marissa?" Sora questioned tilting his head.

"You must be the one who wrote this," Kairi said taking out the little girl's letter. The girl's face lit up when she saw it.

"I knew somebody'd answer my letter," Marissa beamed. "You have to tell me about the Sapphire Steelix. Please tell me, please!"

"Well uh..." Sora stammered.

"I'm sorry, sweetie," Kairi said. "But I'm afraid we don't know anything about it."

"Sorry that we got your hopes up for nothing," Sophocles said.

Marissa's expression went from happy to sad.

"Oh. I thought for sure you found it," Marissa said sadly.

"But you really sure there's really a Sapphire Steelix?" Illima asked.

"Mm-hmm, sure there is," Marissa answered.

"Then we should have a talk with your brother about this," Lillie said.

"Good idea," Sora agreed.

Marissa lead everyone inside and found a young man with short black hair. His expression is a very sad one. He took a look at the visitors and he didn't seem happy. They all figured that it was her brother Mateo. The group introduced themselves to Mateo and Marissa.

"Marissa, have you been bothering these people?" Mateo asked.

"She's not bothering any of us," Kairi said. "Right Sora?"

"Nope," Sora answered.

"Pikachu," Pikachu chipped in.

"All the other shops has so much glass to sell," Sora pointed out. "But why not yours? It's practically empty."

"Well you see," Mateo started. "When my grandfather ran the store it was full of sapphire glass and it was a big success. Grandpa was a really talented artist and he made beautiful sappahire Pokémon sculptures everyday. But unfortunately he passed away not too long ago. I tried my best to follow in his footsteps, but I just can't make anything good enough to sell in the store."

"But these ones are great," Sora said looking at the sapphire glass sculptures of a Geodude, Pidgey, Dugtrio, and Poliwag. "Did you make them, Mateo?"

"They all look like real Pokémon," Lana said also looking at the sculptures.

"They all look good enough to me," Tracey said voicing his opinion.

Mateo took the Poliwag sculpture in his hand.

"Maybe, but not to me and compared to grandpa's, they're worthless," Mateo said as he threw the glass statue shattering it.

Sora and Kairi gasped at the sight.

"What a waste," Kairi said sadly.

"Pikachu," Pikachu said.

"What's so bad about them, Mateo?" Mallow asked.

"They don't have that soul, that sparkle, that inner fire," Mateo said in despair. "They look like statues. Grandpa's Pokémon looked like they might come alive at any second." He turned away from the group. "If I could just find some kind of inspiration."

"You mean you don't have that spark?" Hapu questioned.

Sora, Kairi, Pikachu, the Alolan nine, and Tracey all looked among themselves feeling disappointed that he lost the inspiration. None of them knew what to say, because it might end up being the wrong thing.

"I know I could create sculptures like my grandfather if I could capture the Sapphire Steelix," Mateo said getting everyone's attention. "Grandpa used to tell me that when he was a young artist he saw the Sapphire Steelix and that's what inspired him."

"You mean he saw the Sapphire Steelix for real?" Sora asked.

"Yeah. It was the most amazing thing he'd ever seen," Mateo said. "For the rest of his life grandpa turned out one great sapphire sculpture after another."

"Whao," Sora, Kiawe, and Sophocles all said at once.

"That is quite a story," Illima said.

"Take a look at this," Mateo said as he led the group to a minature Sapphire Steelix sculpture. "That's my grandpa's sculpture of the Sapphire Steelix he saw."

"Awesome," Sora said as he looked at ththe sculpture.

"Amazing," Lana added.

"So shiny," Acerola said.

"Grandpa used to say that whenever he needed some inspiration, all he had to do is think of that Sapphire Steelix," Mateo explained. "I've looked for it all over the mountains hoping it might give me just the inspiration that I need, but I haven't found it anywhere."

"Is that why you wanted to find the Sapphire Steelix that badly, Marissa?" Hapu asked.

"Right," Marissa said.

"How about we stick around and help them look for it?" Kairi asked.

"That's a good idea," Sora said. "It's like Hapu said, it's worth looking into it. And it wouldn't be right to let a letter from a little girl go unanswered." Tracey and the Alolan nine all nodded as they all agreed to the idea. "But first," Sora said pulling out his Pokédex, "just need to need additional help to look in the sky." Sora accessed his Pokémon app and chose Zubat to lend a wing. He sent Brionne in exchange for Zubat. "There. Pidgeotto and Zubat should be helpful to look in the sky just in case."

"Good thinking," Sophocles said. "And I can have Magnemite float in the sky along with them."

"Oh thank you very much!" Marissa beamed.

With all the proper preparations made Mateo and Marissa along with our heroes have set off to find the Sapphire Steelix.

Elsewhere in Sunburst Town, Mad Ivan is seen walking down the street wearing a hat and trenchcoat as he wonders down the street. A wanted poster of Mad Ivan is placed on one of the stores.

"I must remain inconspicucoius," Mad Ivan said to himself in a whisper. "I fear that any careless move I make may draw attention to myself. But before long, I won't even need this disguise, as I, Mad Ivan, scientist extraordinaire, shall have the world kneeling under my feet." He looked around the glass shops and saw the many glass. "Bah! Amateurish. Everyone one of them," Mad Ivan spoke a little louder. "These aren't even worth my time. I don't know why people would waste such money on such glass trash."

"Hey!" one of the shopkeepers called out to him. "You have a problem with my merchandise?"

"And why does it matter that I do?" Mad Ivan asked disguising his voice.

"I'm not gonna have you insulting my glass like that!" the man yelled out grabbing his hat. The man gasped as he instantly recognized the face on the wanted poster. "Hey! You're Mad Ivan! Help! Police!"

Mad Ivan ran out of sight into a small alley avoiding be caught. He stopped to catch his breath.

"That," pant, "was," pant, "a," pant "close," pant, "one." As he managed to catch his breath as he inhaled.

"You know what I heard?" A man's voice said making Mad Ivan hide behind a couple of trash cans to avoid being seen. "I just heard Mateo and a bunch of kids just took off to look for that Sapphire Steelix again." Mad Ivan instantly became intrigued by this turn of events.

"A Sapphire Steelix, eh?" Mad Ivan said in a whisper. He began to give a very evil grin. "How interesting," Mad Ivan said chuckling evilly.

"He still believes that story the old man told him," another man said. "How pathetic."

"Yeah. I mean, who'd believe there's a Steelix made of glass sapphire?" The first man questioned.

"Hey when you're desperate you'll believe anything," the second man said.

"You are the pathetic ones you two neophytes," Mad Ivan said coming out of his hiding place. "It will be I, Mad Ivan, scientist extraordinaire, who shall capture the Sapphire Steelix! And I shall use this incredible Pokémon and rule the world!"

Mad Ivan dashed off as he sets off to find this Sapphire Steelix for himself.

The group managed to reach the mountain area where Mateo had looked.

"So the Sapphire Steelix is somewhere around this mountain, huh? Pidgeotto and Zubat! Come on out!" Sora said as he threw his Pokéballs as he let out Pidgeotto and Zubat.

"Not letting you have all the glory," Sophocles said taking out a Pokéball. "Magnemite! Go!" Sophocles threw the Pokéball letting Magnemite out.

"I'll lend a hand with my Venonat," Tracey said letting out his Venonat.

"Eyes in the sky and on the ground," Sora said as he smiled. "Good thinking, Tracey."

Mateo held his grandfather's sculpture to right in front of Venonat's compound eyes to let Venonat know what they're looking for.

"Find something that looks like this, Venonat," Tracey instructed. Venonat nodded as it obeyed by leading the group through the foot of the mountain.

"Looks like Venonat is on the trail," Mallow said as she and her friends followed the bug Pokémon. But Venonat lead them to a rock formation that looks like a Steelix. "Maybe not."

"Well, can't blame Venonat for trying," Sophocles said.

"It does look like a Steelix," Lillie added.

"Venonat, how could you let me down?" Tracey asked as Venonat insisted that it was the real thing. "Oh, well. Time to return, Venonat." Tracey calls Venonat back to its Pokéball.

"Now what?" Kiawe asked.

"I'll try a different Pokémon," Tracey said taking out another Pokéball.

"Do you have a Pokémon that can find the Sapphire Steelix, Tracey?" Lana asked.

"Sure do. And I have just the one," Tracey said as he threw his Pokéball letting out a round blue mouse-like Pokémon with round ears and a blue ball at the end of the zigzag tail. It also has a white belly. "Meet my Pokémon, Marill."

"A Marill, huh?" Sora smiled as he took out his Pokédex and pointed at Marill.

Marill, the Aqua Mouse Pokémon

The evolved form of Azurill

Type: Water/Fairy

When fishing for food at the edge of a fast-running stream, Marill wraps its tail around the trunk of a tree. This Pokémon's tail is flexible and configured to stretch. The ball at the end of its tail can be seen floating when it go for a swim.

"Oh he's so cute!" Kairi said as she gushed at the sight of Marill. Sora chuckled as he put his arm around his girlfriend.

"Settle girl," Sora joked. "I might put a leash on you."

"Pikachu," Pikachu chuckled.

"You think Marill can help us out?" Lillie asked.

"Sure. Lots of times Marill hears a Pokémon before I see 'em," Tracey answered.

"You two must make a great team," Mina pointed out.

"Venonat sees and Marill listens," Kiawe said.

Tracey bends down to Marill's level pulling out a tape recorder.

"Okay, Marill, listen up," Tracey said as he pushes the play button on the tape recorder. The audio plays a Steelix's roar. "That's what a Steelix sounds like. Try to listen for one."

"Marill," Marill said as he nodded. "Marill's ears starts wiggling as he listens for a Steelix. "Marill! Marill, Marill!"

"Marill heard something!" Tracey said.

"Great! Pidgeotto and Zubat! You two fly ahead and follow Marill," Sora instructs his Flying Types. Pidgeotto and Zubat nodded as they started flying.

"You too, Magnemite," Sophocles instructed Magnemite as it floated in the air.

"We should do the same!" Sora said to the group.

"Right!" Everyone said at once as they followed the three Pokémon.

Marill squeaks as he ran on two feet and Pidgeotto and Zubat flies above the water mouse Pokémon. Marill makes a stop as he points up above.

"What is it, Marill?" Tracey asked as they finally stopped. Everyone looks where Marill is pointing and gasped as they saw a cave above them.

"You've gotta be kidding!" Kiawe exclaimed.

"We have to climb up there?" Mallow questioned.

"There's no other way," Mateo said.

"Then let's get to it," Sora said as he was about to start climbing.

"Pika!" Pikachu agreed.

"Wait!" Hapu said making Sora stop.

"There's a path we can use!" Hapu said pointing to her left. Everyone saw the path and started to go there instead. After a few minutes of running, the group falls into a pitfall trap.

"What should we do?" Mateo questioned as a familiar laughter is heard.

"You should make yourselves comfortable whilst you're done there," Mad Ivan said looking in the hole. He saw Sora, Kairi, Pikachu, the Alolan nine, and Tracey down there. "Well, well, well. We meet again. The children who have foiled my plans thrice. But I assure you that there will not be a fourth time."

"Mad Ivan!" Sora barked in pure anger.

"The one and only," Mad Ivan took a bow.

"Why don't you just make like Houdini and make yourself disappear!" Sophocles called out to the scientist.

"Tsk, tsk, tsk," Mad Ivan said. "Such poor manners since we last met. I have heard a an intriguing rumor about a Sapphire Steelix. It isn't everyday that a sparkling gem such as that hits my radar. But I should have known you brats would make nuisances of yourselves again. But this time, I have taken precautions in case anyone would beat me to the punch. Now if you excuse me, I have a Sapphire Steelix to make mine. Adieu my little neophytes."

"Why you!" Sora snarled at the scientist after he took his leave.

"Wah! He'll steal the Sapphire Steelix!" Marissa cried.

"Don't cry, Marissa," Sora said patting her head. "We won't let that guy lay a hand on that Steelix. That's a promise."

"You really think so?" Marissa asked.

"You'll see," Sora said as he got an idea on how to get out. He Kiawe take out Turonator to have him send the group out of the hole. Kiawe called Turtonator back inside the Pokéball once it was done. The group ran on the mountain trail with Marissa riding on Mudsdale's back as they spotted.

"Mudsdale is pretty fast," Marissa said as she was enjoying the ride.

"Mudsdale is a very reliable friend," Hapu said patting the horse Pokémon. "She's come through for me ever since I've first got her."

The group raced through the mountain until they spotted Mad Ivan ahead of them.

"Hey! Maddie Ivie!" Sora taunted making the scientist turn around.

"It's Mad Ivan!" Mad Ivan corrected. "Not Maddie Iv-" he winced when he saw the group of kids and their Pokémon coming towards him. "Oh no! You escaped my trap!"

"And we're going to kick your butt for that!" Sora proclaimed.

"We'll see about that, you little parasite! Gastly, Haunter, and Gengar! I need you now!" Mad Ivan called throwing his Pokéballs letting out his Pokémon.

"Okay, Pikachu, Pidgeotto, and Zubat! Go!" Sora called out sending his three Pokémon into battle. "Pikachu! Electro Ball! Pidgeotto! Wing Attack! Zubat! Air Cutter!" Sora instructed as his three Pokémon fired their attacks at the three ghoat Pokémon. Electro Ball hits Gastly, Wing Attack hits Haunter, and Air Cutter hits Gengar.

"Don't give in to that, my babies! Dark Pulse attack!" Mad Ivan ordered as his three ghostly Pokémon fired their attacks at Pikachu, Pidgeotto, and Zubat. "Gastly, you use Night Shade on Pikachu! Haunter! You use Thunder Punch on Pidgeotto! And Gengar! You use Shadow Ball on Zubat!" Gastly, Haunter, and Gengar did exactly as they were told. All three of Sora's Pokémon were on the ropes, but Zubat refused to give up as he fired Air Cutter again at the three Ghost Types. Gastly and Haunter just knocked Zubat back down. "How adorable! Your little flying rat think it stands a chance. Your Zubat is either brave or a complete fool just like you."

Sora growled as he feared something might happen to Zubat and Kairi shared his fears. Marissa covered her eyes not wanting to watch anymore as Mateo, Tracey, and the Alolan nine continued to watch on. All three fired a Dark Pulse attack when Zubat miraculously flew out of the way and started to evolve. Everyone, especially Sora, Kairi, Pikachu, and Pidgeotto were awestruck.

"Zubat!" Sora called out.

"Zubat is evolving!" Tracey said as he watched.

Zubat evoled into a Golbat. Unlike, Janine's Golbat, his fangs were slightly larger.

"Yes! Zubat evolved into a Golbat!" Sora beamed.

"And not a moment too soon!" Kairi added.

Mad Ivan wasn't the least bit impressed by the sudden evolution.

"Evolved or not; that Pokémon is no match for my babies!" Mad Ivan boasted. "Dark Pulse attack!" Gastly, Haunter, and Gengar fired their Dark Pulse as Golbat dodged the move once again.

"Nice dodge, Golbat! Use Air Cutter, now!" Sora oredered as Golbat did fire an attack, but it sent out a slashsing air attack and sends it towards the three ghost Pokémon. "That was Air Slash! Golbat must have learned it after evolving. Air Slash again!" Golbat obeyed letting out this new attack on all three. "Now finish them with Wing Attack!" Golbat launched himself at the three Ghosts send sending them flying in the sky.

"Once and twice was a coincidence. But three and four times is just too many!" Mad Ivan exclaimed as he flies in the air.

Everyone gathered around the newly evolved Pokémon once the battle was over.

"Way to go, Golbat!" Sora said hugging his Golbat. "I knew you would evolve at some point." Kairi joined her boyfriend in the hug.

"I'm proud of you both," Kairi said hugging both of them. Golbat smiled as he returned the hug to the couple.

Once the battle and congratulations were done with, Marill's ears perked up as he heard something.

"You hear something, Marill?" Tracey asked.

"Marill!" Marill said leading everyone inside.

Sora, Kairi, Pikachu, the Alolan nine, Tracey, Mateo, and Marissa entered the cave and looked around.

"Look at all the sapphire crystals," Tracey said in awe.

"This could be every treasure hunter's dream," Kiawe said.

"This must be where the Sapphire Steelix lives," Sora said.

"But where is it?" Acerola asked.

"Marill," Marill said taking a dive in the water. The ball at Marill's tail floats on the surface so that everyone could see where he is. It didn't take long for Marill to pop back out of the water. "Marill, Marill."

"What is it, Marill?" Tracey asked. Marill jumps out of the water and with his trainer. Tracey looks in the water and sees a pair of large eyes looking back at him. "I think I see it," Tracey gasped.

"Think you see what?" Sora askes the Pokémon Watcher. Sora got his answer when a large Pokémon jumps out of the water and gave off a loud roar. Sora and Kairi held each other as everyone screamed at the sight. It was indeed a Steelix, and its body was made of glass sapphire. "Is that what I think it is?!"

"It is," Kairi answered.

"It's the Saphhire Steelix!" Mateo said.

"No kidding!" Kiawe said in shock. "It's actually real!"

"It's so beautiful," Mallow said in awe.

"And so shiny and spakly," Lana added.

"It's an amazing sight," Illima said.

"And it's bigger than I thought," Lillie added.

"It's scary," Marissa said holding her brother. Mateo took out a Pokéball to battle against the Sapphire Steelix.

"I came prepared with just the Pokémon to battle that Steelix, so don't be scared, Marissa," Mateo said.

"Which one are you going to use?" Acerola asked.

"You'll see," Mateo said as he threw his Pokéball. "Cloyster, I choose you!" The Pokéball lets out a mollusk Pokémon, whose body is a black pearl within two shells. The first shell is purple and rugged, while the second shell is gray. When the second shell is opened, a spike is revealed. Its face has a cruel look upon it. Sora lets go of Kairi and reaches for his Pokédex and scanned the Pokémon.

Cloyster, the Bivalve Pokémon

The evolved from of Shellder

Type: Water/Ice

Cloyster is capable of swimming in the sea. It does so by swallowing water, then jetting it out toward the rear. This Pokémon shoots spikes from its shell using the same system.

Sora thought of Lana's Shellder and Lana hokding a blue stone with a bubble insignia engraved on it. Lana used the stone to make her Shellder evolve into a Cloyster.

"Does Lana even have a Water Stone?" Sora asked himself in his thoughts. He decided not to dwell on it as he had to watch ghe real thing battle the Sapphire Steelix.

"That's a good move on Mateo's part," Illima said. "A Ground Type like Steelix is weakened against Water Type attacks."

"Somehow I doubt it will be easy," Hapu said.

"Cloyster! Use your Water Gun attack!" Mateo ordered as Cloyster fired Water Gun against the large Pokémon. But the water didn't phase it. "What's wrong?!"

"The water's bouncing right off!" Kairi pointed out. "The sapphire coating must be protecting him!"

"Cloyster, try Razor Shell, now!" Mateo called out as Cloyster charged at the large Steel Type with the spikes on Cloyster's shell formed razor edges and goes towards the Sapphire Steelix.

"That should do it!" Sora said as Cloyster hits the Sapphire Steelix dead on. But that didn't hurt the large Pokémon either. "Or not."

Steelix gives off a loud as Steelix charges at Mateo's Cloyster with a strong Iron Head attack. Cloyster goes flying towards the cave walls knocking the bivalve Pokémon out.

"That steelix is stronger than any of us thought," Hapu said.

"Kairi was definitely right," Lillie said. "It's possible Steelix may have undergone a physical mutation in which allowed this Steelix to gain a sapphire coating to protect him from water."

"That would make loads of sense," Sophocles said.

"If water won't work, then I'm going to battle that Steelix with a little help from my glass making partner," Mateo said as he pulled out another Pokéball.

"Glass making partner?" Sora questioned as Mateo threw his Pokéball letting out a Charmeleon.

"Charmeleon, go!" Mateo ordered as Charmeleon rushes towards the Sapphire Steelix. Steelix roars as he fires his Rock Throw attack. Charmeleon dodges the sapphire rocks as it continued to run.

"That Charmeleon is fast!" Acerola said.

"A Fire Type Pokémon is a good match up since Steelix is a Steel Type," Lana pointed out.

"Will hit or will it miss?" Sora asked.

"We'll have to wait and see," Lillie said.

"Charmeleon! Use your Flamethrower, now!" Mateo ordered. Charmeleon fired its Flamethrower hitting the large Pokémon, giving his body a crimson glow. "All right! Nice work!" Steelix tries to retreat into the water to cool off. "Now use Fire Spin!" Charmeleon fired a powerful Fire Type attack creating a fire tornado hitting the Sapphire Steelix. The Sapphire Steelix roars as he feels the flame course through his body. Once the attack had subsided, the Sapphire Steelix gave off a beautiful glow. Mateo gazes into the Steelix as the fires of inspiration has been reignited. They stare into each other until the Sapphire Steelix falls back into the water knocked out. Steam starts to fill the cavern as soon as the Sapphire Steelix had hit the water.

"Mateo! This is your chance to capture it!" Sora said as he and the others ran up to him.

"No, Sora," Mateo said. "I don't have to anymore."

"What? Why not?" Sora questioned. "You've come this far. And now you don't want to catch the Sapphire Steelix? What gives?"

"For a minute, I felt something strange when I looked at that Steelix," Mateo explained. "The feeling's hard to describe, but now I have the inspiration I need to start working again."

"Mateo," Marissa looked up at her brother and smiled feeling happy her brother had regained his confidence. Sora smiled as he understood what he meant.

"I can respect that," Sora nodded as he smiled.

The Sapphire Steelix gets back up and looks at the humans and Pokémon below before diving back underwater.

"Thank you, my friend. Thank you for that inspiration," Mateo said smiling. Sora, Kairi, the Alolan nine, Tracey, Mateo, and Marissa looked at the water as it gave off the sparkle the Sapphire Steelix had left behind.

Everyone returned to Mateo's glass shop and Sora made a small suggestion.

"How about you try my crown necklace," Sora suggested.

"Your necklace?" Mateo asked.

"Yeah," Sora said taking off his necklace.

"It sure is a pretty necklace," Marissa said.

"It's been in my family for generations. The crown necklace is a symbol of knighthood," Sora said.

"Knighthood, huh?" Mateo said. "That's quite an idea." Mateo took out a pencil and a piece of paper as he traced the crown. Once he got the image he needed. Mateo returned the crown necklace to Sora and began working on his first masterpiece. "That's great. Keep it burning, Charmeleon."

"I can see why he called Charmeleon his glass making partner," Kiawe said.

"They're a real duo," Sora said. "Just like you and me, Pikachu."

"Pikachu," Pikachu nodded to that.

Kairi took Sora's hand as she placed her head on his shoulder.

"Almost done. And I think I'm gonna like this one," Mateo said.

"Hurry up. I can't wait," Marissa said eagerly.

"You can't rush genius," Mateo said as Marissa giggled. The first glass sculpture Mateo had made was a sapphire sculpture of a Pikachu; it was engraved with the same crown symbol on Pikachu's belly. Once the sculpture had cool down, he handed it to him. "Here, Sora. You should have the first one. And it's on the house."

"Are you sure you want to do that?" Sora asked.

"It's the least I could do since you helped me and my sister out," Mateo said.

"Mateo will still be all sad if you hadn't come along," Marissa said.

"We're just happy to help out," Kairi said smiling. "You just keep rooting for your big brother, okay?"

"Okay, I will," Marissa said.

Everyone said their goodbyes to Mateo and Marissa and continued on to Saffon City. As they walked on, Sora gazed at the minature Pikachu sculpture in his hand.

"Wow! It almost looks like it's alive," Sora said.

"And you can really tell Mateo got all the inspiration he needed," Lillie agreed.

"And I'm sure their store is gonna be a big success," Tracey added.

"And it's thanks to the Sapphire Steelix for the inspiration and your crown necklace for the idea," Illima also chipped in.

"Yeah," Sora smiled. Kairi gave Sora a kiss on the cheek as he puts the glass sculpture away and puts his arm around his girlfriend. He gave her a soft kiss on the lips and continued on.

And Tracey had left the group and set off to do more Pokémon watching and promises to meet up with the group again sometimes, but that was another adventure met and another experience in their memories. Sora's Zubat has become a Golbat and who knows what other experiences awaits our young friends along the way. You'll have to keep reading to find out.