Pokemon Fan Fiction / Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Pokémon: Sora's Journey ❯ Indigo Plateau Round 1 ( Chapter 74 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Episode 74: Indigo Plateau Round 1

On the very next morning, Sora, Kairi, Riku, Naminé, the Alolan nine, the twins, Terra, Ventus, and Aqua were heading to one of the many desks to register for the Pokémon League.

Over at Pallet Town in Professor Oak's lab, Professor Oak along with Delia, Kairi's grandmother, Yuna, Lea, Isa, Professor Kukui and Professor Burnet along with some of Delia's friends and neighbors were all watching the live coverage of the Pokémon League tournament.

"Welcome, Pokémon Fans for the live coverage of the Indigo Plateau Pokémon League tournament. Right now the trainers are a out to learn where they will be competing in their first round battle who their first opponent will be," a reporter said as Sora and his friends walked by.

"Hey! Sora and the rest!" Lea said. "Wonder who will Sora be battling first."

"We'll just have to wait and see," Isa said.

When they reached the registration area where they're greeted by a young woman.

"Hello there. Which one of you is here to register?" The female clerk asked.

"That'll be me," Sora answered raising his hand.

"I would like to check your identification for your registration, please," the clerk said.

"Of course," Sora said. He handed his Pokédex to the clerk.

"Is this your time competing in the Pokémon League?" The clerk asked.

"Yes it is," Sora answered smiling.

He places the Pokédex in the slot of the computer and it took a few seconds and she hands it back to him.

"And that's it; you're all checked in," she said.

"Thank you," Sora said. "So who will I be battling first?"

"You'll be starting out on one of these four battlefields. The battlefields are Rock, Water, Grass, and Ice. You have to win all four matches on the battlefields in order to battle on the Indigo Stadium," the clerk explained. "You just have to press the button in front of you and you'll be set." She demonstrated by pressing the button in front of him. The cursor highlights each of the stadium symbols before Sora pressed the button. The cursor stops at the Water Field. "Now that you have been chosen for the Water Field, the computer will be selecting your first opponent. Sora's image on the screen shows up and the image next to him is a girl approximately the same age as him. She has blonde hair tied in a bun with violet eyes and is wearing a blue dress.

"So she's my first match," Sora said.

"Her name is Annette Huges. And you're going to be the third match," she said. "Be there by 1:00. And good luck."

"Thanks," Sora said.

Sora and his friends took the time they needed to relax before Sora's first battle. They spotted four bird Pokémon all with the same beak and pink feet.

One was red with numerous black feathers on the wings and tail. A white curly feather also appears nearthe head.

Another is yellow with white feathers covering the pelvic area. Clumped, yellow feathers in the shape of Pom Poms appear on the tips of the wings and feet. Yellow feathers also protrude from the head, but in a more organized manner.

The third is pink with three white and pink feathers at the tip of each wing. These feathers also appear at the waist and head to create a skirt and crown.

And the forth is purple with fan-shaped feathers on the head, wings, tip of wings, and tail. These feathers start purple, then become a light purple, then end baby blue in color.

"Wow! Oricorio," Lana said.

"All four different styles," Kiawe said.

"Oricorio, huh?" Sora asked taking out his Pokédex.

Oricorio Baile Style, the Dancing Pokémon

Type: Fire/Flying

This Oricorio has sipped red nectar. Its passionate dance moves cause its enemies to combust in both body and mind. It beats its wings together to create fire. As it moves in the steps of its beautiful dance, it bathes opponents in intense flames.

Oricorio Pom-Pom Style, the Dancing Pokémon

Type: Electric/Flying

This Oricorio has sipped bright yellow nectar. Its bright, cheerful dance melts the hearts of its enemies. It creates an electric charge by rubbing its feathers together. It dances over to its enemies and delivers shocking electrical punches.

Oricorio Pa'u Style, the Dancing Pokémon

Type: Psychic/Flying

This Oricorio has sipped pink nectar. Its enemies' hearts melt at the sight of its gently swaying hips. This Oricorio relaxes by swaying gently. This increases its psychic energy, which it then fires at its enemies.

Oricorio Sensu Style, the Dancing Pokémon

Type: Ghost/Flying

This Oricorio has sipped purple nectar. Its elegant, attractive dance will send the minds and hearts of its enemies to another world. It charms its opponents with its refined dancing. When they let their guard down, it places a curse on them that will bring on their demise.

"They all look different," Ventus pointed out.

"That's because Oricorio's appearance depends on what kind of sap they drink; sap that can be only found in the Alola region," Lillie explained.

"Not only that. When they do change their forms, they also change their Types," Riku added.

"So cool!" Ventus beamed.

They watched the four Oricorio dance for a while before they were approached by Annette Huges.

"Excuse me," she said making everyone turn to face her. "I take it that you'll be my first opponent."

"That's right. Sora Ketchum," Sora introduced himself.

"Annette Huges," Annette introduced herself. "And I just thought that I should introduce myself before our battle."

"Well, that's pretty sporty of you," Sora said.

"Pikachu."

"Anyway, I just wish wanna you luck for our battle. And don't go easy on me just because I'm a lady," Annette said.

"Wouldn't dream of it. I'm in it to win it," Sora said.

Both shook hands holding it to one another, and that was when Sir Charles and Claudia came along.

"Ah! There you are, Annette my dear. And it's the children back in Porta Vista," Sir Charles said.

"It's wonderful to see all of you again," Claudia added.

"Hey there. Didn't expect to see you here," Sora said. Annette looked at Sir Charles with a puzzled look on her face.

"You know them, uncle?" Annette asked.

"Of course, my dear. They provided an Alolan style charity dinner on Porta Vista a while back," Sir Charles said.

"Well he happens to be my first opponent," Annette told her uncle.

"Is that so?" Sir Charles asked.

"That's right," Sora nodded.

"Well, I expect you both to put on a splendid performance in your battle," Sir Charles said.

With that said the three of them took their leave of the group.

Sora and Kairi needed some alone time together as their friends, went to watch some of the battles already in progress and Sora was going over his strategy while Kairi was feeding Togepi.

"What strategy do you have for the battle with Annette?" Kairi asked.

"I was thinking giving Psyduck a shot in the battle. Also I'll be using Pikachu and Blastoise as backup," Sora answered.

"Are you sure using Psyduck is a good call? Especially considering that you'll be on a field consisting of water?" Kairi asked.

"You're right about that," Sora told her. "Psyduck isn't that strong a swimmer. And Psyduck is only able to use Water Gun. But at least you'll be right on my side." Sora took her by the hand.

"Of course, Sora," Kairi said. "I'll always believe in you," Kairi said. "Always."

With that said Sora smiled. They both looked into each other's eyes as Pikachu and Togepi looked at the couple sweetly. They joined their friends and saw it was Edgar in a battle with a young man on a rocky field. Edgar's opponent had a Magmar out and Edgar had a Diglett out, but it was slightly different. It had yellow tufts of hair on its head. And the ground around it was dark gray.

"Is that a Diglett?" Sora asked.

"An Alolan Diglett," Riku said.

Sora took out his Pokédex and scanned the Pokémon on the field.

Diglett Alolan Form, the Mole Pokémon

Type: Ground/Steel

Its head sports an altered form of whiskers made of metal. When in communication with its comrades, its whiskers wobble to and fro. Its golden hairs function as sensors. It pokes them out of its burrow to monitor its surroundings.

"Edgar did say that he collected Pokémon. So it dosen't surprise me that he would have Pokémon that came from different regions," Sora pointed out.

"Magmar! Use Fire Punch!" Edgar's opponent ordered as Magmar's fist lit on fire.

"Diglett, use Mud Slap," Edgar ordered as Diglett hurls mud right at Magmar's face. Magmar tried to get the mud off, but it was too thick. "Now use Earthquake!" Diglett dove underground as the battlefield began shaking. Magmar falls into the rocks knocked out. The referee raises the green flag.

"Magmar is unable to battle! Diglett wins! Edgar from Lumiose City Wins!" The referee announced.

"And Edgar wins his first match! And he will be moving on!" The announcer announced.

"As expected," Edgar said to himself as he took his leave of the battlefield. "I wonder if my next opponent will be more challenging." Edgar chuckled to himself.

Sora and his friends had some lunch at a hamburger stand when suddenly a female voice is heard over the speakers.

"Paging trainer Sora Ketchum. Paging Sora Ketchum. Please go to the nearest courtesy phone for an important call," the caller said.

"An important call?" Sora asked to himself. Sora and his friends went to the phones and made contact. "Hello. This is Sora." Professor Oak appeared on the screen. "Professor Oak?"

"Hello Sora. I had hoped that I would make contact with you," Professor Oak said.

"What for?" Sora asked.

"Well for one thing, I was wondering if you made the right decision for your first battle," Professor Oak said.

"I have professor. Why do you ask?" Sora asked.

"Oh, good. I just thought maybe you didn't think it through. But I must admit I was wrong," Professor Oak said. "But that's not the reason for the call."

"Then what?" Sora asked.

"Well, I have here with me are unique kind of Pokéballs that can used to contain the, well you know," Professor Oak said. "Lusamine dropped these off, but I forgot to give them to you before you left. I'll send you one of them. Just a moment." Professor Oak left to transfer the ball he was talking about. Delia came onto the screen.

"Sora! You look thin! Are you eating okay?" Delia asked.

"Mom?!" Sora asked. "What are you doing there? And is Kairi's grandma there too?"

"Professor Oak invited us over," Delia said. "Everyone is the neighborhood is rooting for you, sweetie!" Delia said as Sora saw Kairi's grandmother and some of the other neighbors there. They even had signs and banners rooting for Sora.

"That's real great," Sora said embarrassed. Sora looked over to his friends and some of them tried to hold their chuckles.

Professor Oak sets a a blue ball with two rings surrounding it on each side diagonally, "All set. Now to begin transport." Professor Oak pressed the button and sends the ball over to Sora. He, Kairi, Terra, Ventus, Aqua, and Naminé were at awe at the sight.

"I just got it. What kind of ball is it?" Sora asked.

"Lusamine called it a Beast Ball," Professor Oak said. "More will be sent to your villa soon. You and Riku should have them soon." Professor Kukui said.

"The rest will be included with your delivery," Professor Kukui said. "We'll talk more about it later. Privately."

"Sure," Sora said. He puts the Beast Ball away.

"And be sure that you're treating Kairi nicely," Delia told her son.

"I will mom," Sora said blushing. "I should be going now. Goodbye." Sora hung up the phone and took off towards the Water Field for his first match. Sora had exchanged Silvally for Psyduck for the first battle while Riku, Naminé, Eevee, the Alolan nine, Terra, Ventus, Aqua, and the twins took their seats among the spectators as Kairi went with Sora. They met up with one of the staff members there.

"You will be battling in the green corner," the staff member told him.

"Thanks," Sora said as he and Kairi went to the side waiting for his turn. As they waited for his turn, Kairi noticed that her boyfriend was sweating.

"Are you okay?" Kairi asked.

"Yes and no," Sora said. "Just feeling a little nervous."

Kairi placed her hand on his shoulder. Sora looks at her.

"You have nothing to be nervous about," Kairi assured him. "You will do fine. You trained hard for this. Just do your best. Win or lose, you'll always be a winner to me." Kairi kissed Sora on the cheek. "Better?"

"Much better," Sora said. "Thanks."

"You're welcome," Kairi said.

The doors open and Sora takes a deep, deep breath.

"Here we go, Pikachu. You ready?" Sora asked.

"Pikachu," Pikachu nodded. They entered the battlefield.

"Now it's time for the third battle on the Water Field!" The announcer announced. Sora takes his place on the green podium. Annette takes her place at the red podium. The crowd roars with anticipation as the battle is about to go underway. Tai, Kari, Matt, TK, Sara, Izzy, Mimi, Joe, Davis, Ken, Cody, and Yolei beamed at the sight of him. Takato, Henry, Rika, Guil, Jeri, Susie, Kenta, and Kazu shared their enthusiasm. Also sharing their enthusiasm were Takuya, Koji, Kouichi, Tommy, Zoe, JP, Mime Jr., and Munchlax in a series of smiles. "On the green side is newcomer Sora Ketchum from Pallet Town. Ketchum is accompanied by his coach as he battles Annette Huges in the red side. She is the niece of Sir Charles Reginald Huges III. And due to the fact that she comes from a long line of outstanding Pokémon trainers, she seems to be the crowd favorite. In fact, Sir Charles himself is in attendance at our VIP box along with his wife." On TV, Delia recognized the man on the screen.

"I know him, it's that nice man who paid for my brother's restuarant for the damages," Delia recognized.

"Both trainers will be allowed to use three Pokémon each; and the battle will be over if all three Pokémon are unable to battle!" The announcer announced. "Now won't both trainers send out their Pokémon?" Sora took out Blastoise's Pokéball and is about to throw it.

"Okay, Blastoise! It's time for you to g-" Sora was cut off when Psyduck let himself out instead.

"Psy!" Psyduck said upon making an entrance.

"Psyduck! I was going to use Blastoise! Not you!" Sora said.

"Psy?"

"Well, since you're out anyway, I might as well use you as is," Sora said.

"Psyduck."

"So it's a Water Type. Then my first Pokémon is going to be Exeggutor!" The Pokéball opens and lets out an Exeggutor.

"Sora has chosen Psyduck as Annette has chosen Exeggutor! And juding by Types, Exeggutor has the advantage. Will this be a quicky for Annette? Or does Sora has an ace up his sleeve?" The announcer asked.

"You think Sora will be sticking with Psyduck?" Lana asked.

"If he just relying on Psyduck's headache, then it'll cost him," Illima said.

"I say that the problem is Psyduck isn't a good swimmer. We all saw how embarrassing that was," Kiawe pointed out.

"Yeah," Mina said.

The referee looked at both Pokémon and raised his flags, "BEGIN!"

"Exeggutor! Psyshock!" Annette ordered. Exeggutor fired Psyshock towards Psyduck.

"Psyduck! Fire Water Gun on the ground!" Sora called out. Psyduck fired Water Gun on the ground avoiding the attack. "Water Gun again!" Psyduck obeyed hitting Exeggutor on the spot.

"Will you look at that! Psyduck has dodged Exeggutor's Psyshock by using Water Gun and fired with another Water Gun. How will this go for this Water Type?" The announcer asked.

"Exeggutor! Egg Bomb!" Anette ordered as Exeggutor fired egg-like projectiles and knocks Psyduck in the water. Psyduck starts splashing around.

"I was afraid this would happen," Aqua said.

"Psyduck still hasn't learned how to swim," Terra said.

"Now use Psychic on the water!" Annette ordered. Exeggutor used Psychic to create a whirlpool around Psyduck.

"Psyduck looks like a rubber duck in a bathtub caught in the whirlpool," the announcer announced.

"Psyduck won't last long at this rate. I have to switch to Blastoise now," Sora said in his thoughts. He tried to call back Psyduck, but Exeggutor's Psychic blocks all attempts.

"Annette's Exeggutor has created a wall of water keeping Ketchum from recalling his Psyduck. Annette has trained her Exeggutor well," the announcer announced.

"Now use Egg Bomb again!" Annette ordered. Exeggutor fired Egg Bomb hitting Psyduck right on the head. Each hit made Psyduck's headache even worse.

"Psyduck!" Sora shouted.

"Pika Pi!" Pikachu added.

"Psyduck," Kairi said worriedly.

"Togepi," Togepi chirped.

With one last hit of Exeggutor's attack, Psyduck's eyes started to glow blue.

"PSYDUCK!" Psyduck cries echoed throughout the stadium.

Psyduck stops the whirlpool and hurls it back to Exeggutor. The coconut Pokémon gets drenched in the attack.

Sir Charles and his peers were at awe at the sight. Tai, Kari, and their friends were surprised by this as well.

"I am not sure what is happening! But Psyduck seems to be manipulating the water by using its psychic powers!" The announcer announced

"Psyduck! Use Confusion!" Sora called out. Psyduck makes Exeggutor float in the air. Exeggutor tries to struggle, but nothing is working.

"Outstanding! Psyduck is holding Exeggutor with its Confusion attack! Exeggutor is trying to break lose, but Psyduck has a strong hold," the announcer announced.

"Exeggutor! Egg Bomb!" Annette ordered. Exeggutor tried to fire Egg Bomb, but Psyduck is preventing it from happening.

"Now use Scratch!" Sora called out. Psyduck gave a couple of scratches on Exeggutor. Exeggutor falls to the ground beaten. The referee raises the green flag.

"Exeggutor is unable to battle! Psyduck wins!" The referee announced.

"Way to go, Psyduck!" Sora cheered.

"Pikachu!"

"You did it, Psyduck!" Kairi cheered.

"Togepi."

"Well, this was unexpected. That boy is better than I thought," Sir Charles said.

Psyduck then started to evolve. Sora and Pikachu as well as the spectators watched on as Psyduck had evolved into a Golduck.

Delia, Kairi's grandmother, and Professor Oak smiled at the sudden evolution.

"It looks like the intensity of the battle has caused Psyduck to evolve into a Golduck!" The announcer announced.

"Sora now has a Golduck! So cool!" Ventus cheered.

"And it looks like it's going to be even more intense after evolving," Acerola said.

"Absolutely," Illima agreed.

"I knew you had it in you. You still good to go?" Sora asked.

"Golduck!" Golduck responded giving a thumbs up.

"Great! Let's go for another whirl!" Sora said.

"He's even better than I thought," Annette said to herself. "But I won't forget this." She pulls out another Pokéball.

"I wonder what other Pokémon will Annette unleash now." The announcer announced.

"It's your turn, Sylveon!" She threw her Pokéball letting out her Sylveon.

"Annette has chosen her Sylveon as her second Pokémon! Will Annette have Sora on the ropes so that she can make a boucning comeback? Or will Sylveon be down and out?" The announcer asked.

"Sylveon! Fairy Wind!" Annette ordered. Sylveon blows a pink wind right at Golduck.

"Golduck! Dodge!" Sora called out. Golduck dives in the water and the Fairy Wind misses.

"Golduck dodges Sylveon's Fairy Wind by diving in the water! It was pretty ironic that Psyduck wasn't able to swim, but that seems to have changed after evolving! What could Sora be planning to do?" The announcer asked.

"Golduck! Water Gun!" Sora shouted. Golduck fires Water Gun right at the Fairy Eeveelution.

"Sylveon! Dodge with Quick Attack!" Annette ordered. Sylveon dodges the attacks.

"Sylveon is dodging Golduck's Water Gun attack! But it dosen't look like Golduck is going to give up hitting its target," the announcer announced.

"Now use Attract!" Annette ordered. Sylveon sends out some hearts towards Golduck.

"Golduck! Psychic!" Sora ordered. Golduck blocks the hearts with Psychic. "Send them back!" Golduck pushes the hearts back to its owner. Sylveon gets hit by Attract and became infatuated with Golduck.

"Oh, what an upset! Sylveon just got a taste of its own medicine! And that was due to Golduck sending Attract back with a powerful Psychic attack! And now Sylveon has fallen in love with its opponent!" The annannouncer announced.

"Show Sylveon some tough love with Psychic! Now!" Sora called out. Golduck uses Psychic and hurls Sylveon straight to the podim knocking Sylveon out. The referee raises the green flag once again.

"Sylveon is unable to battle! Golduck wins!" The referee announced.

"And Sora has taken out two of Annette's Pokémon," the announcer announced. "This boy is really on fire today! But it's not over yet because she just has one Pokémon left!" Annette pulls out her final Pokéball and throws it.

"Slowking! Go!" Annette threw it letting out a Pokémon that is near similar appearance to Slowbro, but has a shell on its head, marking its royalty. It also has a red-white scarf around its neck.

"And Annette's final Pokémon is a Slowking!" The announcer announced. Sora took out his Pokédex and scanned the Pokémon in front of him.

Slowking, the Royal Pokémon

An evolved form of Slowpoke

Type: Water/Psychic

Slowking undertakes research every day in an effort to solve the mysteries of the world. It has incredible intellect and intuition. Whatever the situation, it remains calm and collected.

"I knew she was saving her Slowking for last," Sir Charles said. "Her opponent will not find this easy."

"Agreed darling," Claudia said. "But I don't think she'll find it easy either."

"You are right, my dear," Sir Charles agreed.

Ventus and Lana's sisters rooted for Sora through and through as he had just knocked off two of Annette's Pokémon.

"That Slowking looks a tough one," Hapu said.

"Sure does," Mallow agreed.

"It looks like Annette has chosen Slowking as her final Pokémon! Will she take down Sora's Golduck or will Sora emerge victorious?" The announcer asked.

"Slowking! Power Gem!" Annette ordered. Slowking fired Power Gem towards Golduck.

"Block with Water Pulse!" Sora called out as Golduck fired a huge ball of water cancelling the attack.

"Annette really wanna win this! And so does Sora! Slowking fires with Power Gem and Golduck cancels out with Water Pulse," the announcer announced.

"Now Slowking! Use Shadow Ball!" Annette ordered as Slowking fires Shadow Ball, but Sora had to think of a new move fast.

"Golduck! Dive in the water and use Water Gun!" Sora ordered. Golduck dove in the water and reemerges to the surface and fires Water Gun, hitting Slowking. Annette smirks as Slowking's eyes glows blue.

"Slowking! Use Psychic!" Annette ordered. Slowking blocks Water Gun and picks up Golduck and tosses Golduck on the opposite side. Golduck stands back on his feet.

"An astonishing turn around! Slowking had just made a comeback with Psychic! This could the end for Golduck!" The announcer announced.

"Finish it with Giga Impact!" Anette ordered. Slowking jumps in the air into the air and its body becomes surrounded in a purple aura with yellow stripes of aura spiraling around the purple heads towards Golduck.

"Golduck! Try to fight back with Water Gun again!" Sora called out. Golduck took in a deep breath and fired a more powerful water attack. Slowking gets hit and hits the wall on the side. The referee raises the green flag.

"Slowking is unable to battle! Golduck wins! The victory goes to Sora Ketchum from Pallet Town!" The referee announced. The crowd starts cheering.

"And it's all over and all finished! Sora Ketchum has just won a stunning perfect attendance victory! And he even won it without once changing Pokémon!" The annoannouncer announced.

"I knew you could do it, Sora!" Kairi cheered for her boyfriend.

"Yes, yes, yes!" Sora shouted.

"Pikachu!"

"He did it!" Ventus, Sophocles, and the twins shouted.

"Well, it looks like Sora will be moving on after all," Sir Charles said.

"She did her absolute best," Claudia said.

"Indeed. And that is something I should be proud of," Sir Charles said.

Sora and Golduck high-fives each other.

"I knew you had it in you," Sora said. "And I knew you would come through for me."

"Golduck," Golduck beamed.

Just then a reporter and camera crew came to Sora after he calls back his Golduck.

"And I am standing here on the Water Field with Sora Ketchum who had just won his first victory. Can you tell us how you feel about winning?" The reporter asked.

"Well, I feel great. Annette threw everything she had at me and that is something to be taken seriously," Sora responded. Gary and his cheerleaders are seen watching Sora's interview on the screen. "What I learned is that you should always show respect for your opponents; and that is always to be taken to heart."

"And would you feel the same even if you didn't win?" The reporter asked.

"Of course. Good sportsmanship is key to any competition," Sora answered. "And to someone I know, whose name I won't bother mentioning should think it over before you talk trash about them. Because there is such a thing as a bad winner." Sora imitated Gary's laugh.

"I know he's talking about me!" Gary hissed gritting his teeth.

"I'd take it seriously if I was you," Edgar said. "Your overconfidence will be your downfall if you aren't careful."

"What do you know? I'm the one who is going to win the Indigo Plateau Pokémon League," Gary said.

"Don't say that I didn't warn you," Edgar said adjusting his glasses.

Edgar takes his leave. Gary was really determined to win the tournament now. He wanted to battle Sora and Edgar and beat them both.