Pokemon Fan Fiction / Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Pokémon: Sora's Journey ❯ The Little Big Horn ( Chapter 90 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Episode 90: The Little Big Horn

A couple of days had passed since their unscheduled stop at Palm Hills as Sora, Kairi, Pikachu, Togepi, and the Alolan nine all made their way to another city. They make their way in the local park.

"Look at this place," Lana said.

"Gotta admit this city has such a nice park," Kiawe said.

"Sure does," Sora agreed. "We can cut through here and get to the center of the city." They all heard rustling in some nearby bushes and turn to see it. "Guys. There's something in there." They see what looks like eyes staring at them. The figure reveals itself as a caribou-like Pokémon. It has a tan pelt with a cream-colored belly and a few spots on its back. Its tail is large, short, and round, and each of its legs ends in a black hoof. It has a large, brown nose and a pair of pale cream-colored antlers, each with a black orb in the center. The shape of the antlers and the black orbs causes them to resemble eyes. Judging by how it appears, it looked incredibly young.

"A baby Stantler," Lillie said.

"I never seen one of those before," Lana said.

"Me neither," Sora said as he took out his Pokédex to get some information on the Pokémon.

Stantler, the Big Horn Pokémon

Type: Normal

Those who stare at its antlers will gradually lose control of their senses and be unable to stand. Stantler's magnificent antlers were traded at high prices as works of art. As a result, this Pokémon was hunted close to extinction by those who were after the priceless antlers.

"What is it doing here in the city?" Kiawe asked.

"It's possible it got lost since it's so young," Illima said. "So it dosen't know where it is." Illima approached the young Stantler. He figured he could gain the caribou Pokémon by imitating one of them letting it know it's okay. Sora was pretty weirded out by Illima's sudden behavior.

"What are you doing, exactly?" Sora asked in a whisper.

"Gaining this little one's trust so I wouldn't scare it," Illima said. "They're easily frightened so I have to pretend that I'm another Stantler." He explained scratching his neck with his foot. He slowly approached the baby Stantler. "It's okay. It's okay. I'm not going to hurt you." The baby Stantler backed away a little feeling scared and confused.

"I think you're scaring him, Illima," Kairi said.

"And I think he's scaring me too," Sora said.

"I know what I'm doing seems rather out of the ordinary but, it's to convince the little one that I'm a Stantler too," Illima said rubbing his back against a tree. He noticed an injury on the young Stantler's leg. "Oh, you're hurt." He took out a can of Pokémon food and poured the contents into his hand. "Here you go. It's yummy. See?" Stantler sniffed the food. "It's okay. I can tell that you're hungry." The young Stantler approached slowly. He showed the baby Stantler it was good by putting some of the food in his mouth. "Mmm. See? It's good." Held the food out in his hand only for the infant Stantler to let out a sweet smelling scent from his antlers. Illima managed to win the infant's trust, but Sora, Kairi, and the rest of the Alolan nine went wide-eyed.

"Illima," Sora said in a whisper.

"Shh! Be quiet! We Stantler don't like loud noises!" Illima chided Sora.

"Illima..." Kairi and Lillie started.

"Look..." Mallow and Lana said.

"Right..." Acerola and Hapu said.

"Behind..." Sora, Kiawe, and Sophocles said.

"You..." Mina finished.

Illima turned around and saw a whole herd of adult Stantler glaring at the group. Illima winced.

"Just stay calm," Illima said. Illima slowly stood up and slowly backed away not wanting to make any sudden moves. The rest of the group pretty much the same thing. One of the Stantler snorted as it skidded the ground with its hoof. "Easy. Easy. Don't make any sudden movements."

"Any ideas here, Sora?" Kiawe asked.

"There's only one thing that I can think of right now..." Sora said still backing away slowly. "RUN!" Sora, Kairi, Pikachu, and the Alolan nine all ran as the Stantler gave chase. Kairi held Togepi tightly in her arms as she ran fast. As the group ran for their lives, the baby Stantler limps off in the park feeling safe.

"WHY ARE THEY CHASING AFTER US?!" Sophocles exclaimed.

"THEY'RE AFTER US BECAUSE THEY THINK WE WERE THE ONES WHO HURT THEIR BABY!" Lillie cried out.

They ran for a minute or two and stopped to catch their breath.

"That was too close for comfort," Mallow panted.

"For a moment there, my life was flashing right before my eyes," Acerola also panted. "I mean, I didn't want to be a ghost THAT badly."

"At least we gave them the slip," Sora said in relief.

"I think we lost them too easily," Illima said. "Just a moment ago, they were just right behind us and now they're not. Those Stantler couldn't have lost us so easily."

"Pika?"

Sora and Kairi looked at each other and looked to the rest of the Alolan nine and wondered what happened to the Stantler stampeding after them. They suddenly heard rustling in some nearby bushes and jumped in fright.

"Crap! They found us!" Kiawe said.

Much to everyone's relief, it was only the local Officer Jenny who came out of the bushes.

"Is everyone alright?" Officer Jenny asked.

"Please don't scare us like that. We thought you were one of those Stantler," Sora said.

"I apologize for startling all of you," Officer Jenny apologized. "But I would like all of you to accompany me to the station."

"What did we do now?" Sora asked in his thoughts. He and the rest feared they might be under arrest for attacking the baby Stantler in the park.

"Don't any of you worry, none of you are under arrest. I'm just going to ask you some questions just to fill out a report," Officer Jenny assured the group.

"Okay," Sora said feeling temporarily relieved.

Meanwhile in a nearby mountain, a vehicle drives up. An old gray jeep with Stantler antlers on the hood of the jeep owned by a man wearing a black trenchcoat and a black hat with a brown feather in it He was itting in the drivers seat accompanied by two black Pokémon that greatly resemble cats or weasels with sharp claws. One had a tail made of red feathers, with its left ear in a similar fashion. It also has a yellow-orange oval shaped gem on its chest and forehead. It has slanted red eyes that are defined by markings that look like long eyelashes. The other had red ear-feathers and two red tail-feathers on their backsides. Additionally, they have a crown-like appendage on their heads, and a red collar around their necks. The man took out his binoculars and set them to night vision mode

"That baby Stantler has to be in the area somewhere," the man said as he turned to his two Pokémon. "Sneasel and Weavile! You know what to do!"

"Sneasel!"

"Weavile!"

Sneasel and Weavile jumped out the vehicle and sniffed around. As they followed the scent of the soil, they stopped sniffing around and pointed to the town nearby.

"So, that's where you're hiding, you little gold mine," the man said. "Don't think you can get away from Malcolm McCleet so easily." He laughs.

The young policewoman led the group at the station and explained to her that they were only passing through not causing any trouble and they came across a baby Stantler and then ended up being chased by a herd of Stantler.

"So that's it. That park you were in is usually a spot for families that are on vacation, but recently out of nowhere, a huge herd of Stantler moved in and scared everyone off. Now nobody wants to get anywhere near the place," Officer Jenny explained.

"That must the same herd that chased us out," Kairi pointed out.

"It just sounds fishy to me," Sora said. "They live up in the mountains, right?"

"They do. But, I don't understand why so many Stantler would just appear the way they did just recently," Officer Jenny said. Illima was sceptical about it.

"It may sound absurd, but I don't think those Stantler are really there," Illima said.

"What do you mean?" Sora asked. "Of course they were there! We saw them in plain sight!"

"True Sora. But how do you explain about the sudden disappearance of an entire Stantler herd?" Illima asked. Sora was in a real tight spot in that one.

"Okay, point taken," Sora said. Screams are heard from outside making everyone jump out their seats.

"Help us!" Familiar voices called out.

Sora, Kairi, Pikachu, Togepi, and the Alolan nine all went outside and saw Tai, Kari, Matt, TK, Sara, Izzy, Mimi, Joe, Davis, Ken, Yolei, and Cody running for their lives.

"Help us! Stampede!" They human kids screamed as they ran.

"Tai! Kari!" Sora called out as Tai, Kari, and their friends skidded to the ground.

"Sora! It's a good thing you're here!" Kari said panting.

"We're glad to see you guys here, but what are you doing here?" Sora asked.

"Well, we just heard some rumors about a herd of Stantler so we thought we could get a photo opportunity," Tai explained.

"And we only just saw one at first," Joe said.

"And then from out of nowhere, that little squirt's buddies just showed up and then they just given us a chase of a lifetime," Davis said.

"The same thing happened to us," Sora said.

"A huge herd of Stantler had appeared and gave us a chase too and then disappeared," Lillie added.

"Disappeared?" Tai and Davis asked as they and the rest turned around.

"Where did they go?" TK asked.

"It's strange," Officer Jenny said. "The Stantler always disappeared just as they appeared."

"How is that possible? They were just right behind us," Izzy pointed out.

"That was what happened when we came here in the city," Lillie said.

"Just what was their problem? We only noticed one baby Stantler that seems to be hurt and then without warning and a whole bunch of Stantler just show up," Yolei said.

"Any idea on why and when all those Stantler came here, Officer Jenny?" Sara asked.

"It only happened just a few days ago, but why it's happening is something I do not know I'm afraid," Officer Jenny said.

Just when everyone were starting to wonder why was that when a Stantler antler comes out of an alley and sends out a familiar scent and everyone winced when the Stantler herd came stampeding.

"They're back!" Tai exclaimed.

"Everyone, quick! Get inside or we'll all get trampled!" Officer Jenny said. None of them needed to be told twice so they all rushed inside the police station; all except for Illima who stayed behind. He looked directly at the stampeding Stantler and notices how some of them had phased through a mailbox, a street light pole and a building.

"How can they just go through them like that, unless they were never real to begin with!" Illima stated. "We were all running from an illusion!"

"Illima! What the hell are you doing?! Get in here! Hurry!" Kiawe called out.

Illima stood his ground.

"Illima!" Sora called out when he is just about to save his friend's life and Officer Jenny stopped him.

"It's too dangerous," Officer Jenny said.

"Stantler! You don't have to be afraid!" Illima called out. The herd goes right through him. Everyone gasped as they just saw him get killed; or did they? Illima saw the baby Stantler limping. "Just as I thought." The herd started to disappear confusing everyone. He went over to the real Stantler. "I know you made these illusions because you were scared." Stantler chirped. "We only wanted to be your friends." Stantler looked at the pink haired young man. He gently lifted the baby Stantler inside the police building. Illima took out some bandages and wrapped his leg. "There, that's better." Stantler nuzzles Illima and rests on his lap.

"You managed to win over this little Stantler," Kairi said.

"Toge, Toge," Togepi chirped.

"But what happened to the other Stantler?" Sora asked.

"The other Stantler weren't really there. They were all just illusions. And this is the only one here," Illima explained.

"You're kidding," Sora said. "The only one?"

"Yes. It made all these illusions just because it was all alone and scared of us and all the people in the park," Illima said.

"I just can't believe one little guy could cause such big trouble," Matt said.

"And all because he was so scared," Lillie said.

"That's right. Stantler used the scent of his antlers to trick us into thinking we all saw an attacking herd," Illima said.

"Well, it sure fooled me," Mallow said.

"That makes a lot of sense," Izzy said. "But, how did you know they were all an illusion and not a real herd on the stampede?"

"When I saw the herd coming, I noticed some of them passing through the buildings and light poles outside," Illima said. "I knew it was suspicious for a herd to give chase and then vanish without a trace."

"But why such a big herd?" Davis asked.

"It was out of instinct," Illima answered. "Stantler was afraid that we would hurt him, so he created an illusion of a big Stantler herd to protect itself."

"That's real amazing and all, but none of it explains why it was here to begin with," Sora pointed out.

"Pikachu."

"That is something only Stantler knows," Illima said.

"I can see you have a special connection with Pokémon, Illima," Officer Jenny said.

"He attended the Pokémon school in the Alola region. So he and eight of my and Kairi's travel compadres learned what they know from there," Sora said. "Anyway, how did you know that he was afraid to begin with?"

"When I was trying to gain Stantler's trust, I got a glimpse of fear in Stantler's eyes. I could tell in an instant he was definitely afraid of all people in general," Illima said. "Also when I saw the injury on his leg, I could tell he was attacked by another Pokémon."

"So, Stantler was being hunted?" Kairi asked. Illima nodded.

"No wonder Stantler is afraid of people," Sora said. "He was hiding and he was afraid that everyone was out to get him."

A loud crash is heard outside. Sora, Pikachu, Illima, Tai, and Davis stepped out to see what that sound was.

"What was that?" Davis asked.

"I don't know, but it sounded close," Tai said. They looked around and Pikachu's ears perk up.

"Pika!" Pikachu pointed to the left.

"What is it-" Sora's sentence was cut when he ducked out of the way and Pikachu jumped off Sora's head before claws could strike. "Whoa! What was that about?" Sora got his answer when Sneasel did a backflip at a street light pole. Weavile came in the scene as well.

"A Sneasel and a Weavile!" Illima recognized.

"That explains the sound," Sora said taking out his Pokédex.

Sneasel, the Sharp Claw Pokémon

Type: Dark/Ice

Sneasel scales trees by punching its hooked claws into the bark. This Pokémon seeks out unguarded nests and steals eggs for food while the parents are away.

Weavile, the Sharp Claw Pokémon

The evolved form of Sneasel

Type: Dark/Ice

They live in cold regions, forming groups of four or five that hunt prey with impressive coordination. It carves patterns in trees with its claws as a signal to others.

"Could they be after Stantler?" Sora asked putting his Pokédex away.

"They wouldn't be here if they weren't," Illima said.

"We'll have to protect Stantler from them," Davis said.

"Davis is right. We can't let them near him," Sora said looking at Pikachu. "You ready, Pikachu?"

"Pika!" Pikachu nodded.

"No!" Illima said. "I'll deal with them." He took out Bewear's Pokéball and held it in his hand. "I will not let anyone of you lay a claw on Stantler!" He threw his Pokéball. "Bewear! Go!" He threw his Pokéball letting out Bewear. Sneasel and Weavile weren't intimidated by the larger Pokémon. Bewear looked at her opponents waiting for Illima's instructions. "Bewear! Hammer Arm!" Bewear swung her arms down and the two sharp claw Pokémon dodged the attack. They moved in with Slash. "Bewear! Focus Blast!" Bewear forms a blue orb and sends it to the two opposing Pokémon.

"Keep it up, Illima!" Sora cheered.

"Pika!" Pikachu also cheered.

The battle was getting fierce, the two Pokémon were cunning and fast, but Bewear kept swinging her paws at them. Stantler watched the battle outside and saw how Illima and Bewear were protecting him from them. Stantler was also scared, since Sneasel and Weavile were the ones who attacked him. Bewear picked the both of them and bashed them both against each other and threw them on the ground. Kairi and the rest of the Alolan nine stepped outside just as they were retreating.

"We should follow them!" Lana said.

"Agreed!" Illima said. "Tai, Davis. You stay with the others and protect Stantler."

"You sure?" Tai asked.

"Yes," Illima simply answered.

"Okay," Tai nodded.

Sora, Kairi, Pikachu, Togepi, the Alolan nine, and Officer Jenny pursued the sharp claw Pokémon hoping that they'll lead them to their trainer. Malcolm McCleet was waiting for his Pokémon to come back when his two Pokémon did come back.

"Where's the baby?" McCleet asked.

"Sneasel."

"Weavile."

"Don't tell me that you lost it!" McCleet hissed.

"There they are!" Sora called out. McCleet saw the group of kids and the policewoman woman in front of them.

"That's the guy!" Acerola said.

"He's the one that's after Stantler!" Hapu hissed.

"Malcolm McCleet. A Pokémon hunter," Officer Jenny said. She called out to the poacher, "You're under arrest for Pokémon poaching!" McCleet growled. "There's no way you're sending down the river!" He took out four additional Pokéballs. "Scizor! Steelix! Skarmory! Fearow! Go!" He hurled them letting out Scizor, Steelix, Fearow, and a bird Pokémon that ostrich clad in steel armor, with long, sharp-taloned legs and a head that looks like wearing a steel helmet covering its beak. Sora took out his Pokédex and scanned the bird Pokémon.

Skarmory, the Armor Bird Pokémon

Type: Steel/Flying

Skarmory is entirely encased in hard, protective armor. This Pokémon flies at close to 190 mph. It slashes foes with its wings that possess swordlike cutting edges.

Sora, and the rest of the Alolan nine all let out their Pokémon to battle McCleet. Sora sent out Pikachu while Kiawe sent out Turtonator, Lana let out Gyarados, Mallow let out Tsareena, Sophocles let out Vikavolt, Acerola let out, Mimikyu, Hapu sent out Mudsdale, Mina, sent out Clefairy, and Lillie sent out Ponyta. Illima still had Bewear out.

"Send out all of your Pokémon at me if you want! It's going to take a helluva lot more than what you've got to take me down! Sneasel, Weavile! Slash! Scizor! Metal Claw! Steelix! Ice Fang! Fearow! Drill Peck! Skarmory! Steel Wing!"

"Turtonator! Shell Trap!" Kiawe called out. Turtonator got in front of his friends as his shell spikes started glowing. When the opposing Pokémon landed their hits, an explosion occurred. They were down, but not out.

"Nice save, Kiawe!" Sora said high fiving Kiawe.

"Thanks, Sora!" Kiawe said.

"Okay, Pikachu! Quick Attack!" Sora ordered. Pikachu ran across the ground and struck Weavile on the side.

"Mimikyu! Shadow Claw!" Acerola ordered. Mikikyu swiped her claw at Sneasel.

"Clefairy! Meteor Mash!" Mina ordered. Clefairy hurled a punch onto Fearow.

"Vikavolt! Vice Grip!" Sophocles called out as Vikavolt grabbed Scizor with his mandibles and gave a crushing squeeze.

"Ponyta! You use Fire Spin!" Lillie ordered as Ponyta fired her Fire Spin right on Steelix causing heavy damage.

"Mudsdale! Mega Kick!" Hapu ordered as Mudsdale gave Steelix a strong kick.

"Tsareena! Trop Kick!" Mallow called out as her leg glowed green and gave a good kick on Skarmory.

"Gyarados! Hyper Beam!" Lana ordered. Gyarados fired Hyper Beam hitting Scizor and Fearow hard.

"Bewear! Use Thrash!" Illima ordered as Bewear charged over to Weavile and gave it a good thrashing.

"Fight back! All of you!" McCleet shouted. All of McCleet's Pokémon managed to push back all of their opponents.

"Pikachu! Thunderbolt!" Sora ordered. Pikachu landed a devastating hit on all the poacher's Pokémon all except for Steelix due to being a Ground Type.

"Clefairy! Use Metronome!" Mina ordered. Just when Clefairy was about to use Metronome, Togepi jumps out of Kairi's arms.

"Togepi!" Kairi gasped. McCleet looked at the baby Pokémon and started laughing while cluthing his gut.

"You have to be kidding me! You're sending that little shrimp to battle!" McCleet taunted. "What is it going to do? Is it going to cuddle me and my Pokémon to death?" McCleet laughed.

"Togepi! Get back here!" Kairi called out fearing Togepi will get hurt.

"All of you! Focus your attacks on that little runt!" McCleet ordered. McCleet's Pokémon charged towards to attack Togepi. The baby Pokémon looked at Clefairy and raised his arms in the air. Clefairy did the same thing. Both Pokémon began swinging their arms back and forth. Sora and Kairi were amazed by what they were seeing.

"Is Togepi using...?" Kairi asked.

"He is! Togepi is using Metronome!" Sora said.

Togepi and Clefairy swung their arms until, releases a gold-rose-colored flame from their mouths at the poacher's Pokémon. McCleet couldn't believe what he just saw. All of his Pokémon were just beaten by a small and adorable Pokémon like Togepi.

"OH NO!" McCleet shouted. "My Pokémon beaten by a puny Togepi?!" Bewear grabs the poacher in her arms. "Let go of me you overgrown carnival prize!" Officer Jenny walked up and slapped the handcuffs on McCleet's wrists.

"I repeat, you're under arrest," Officer Jenny said.

Kairi picked Togepi in her arms and hugged Togepi tightly.

"Oh, Togepi, don't you ever, ever scare me like that again," Kairi said hugging Togepi. "I had no idea you knew Metronome."

"Me neither," Sora said. "Togepi must have learned that move while watching Mina's Clefairy." He looked over to Mina who only nodded in agreement.

After gathering McCleet's Pokémon and placing the poacher in custody. Sora explained to Tai, Kari, and their friends about the battle with the poacher.

"I had no idea Togepi was that powerful," Kari said.

"None of us did," Lillie said.

"But at least he and Clefairy helped save the day," Kairi said. "And I am very proud of you." Kairi held Togepi in the air.

"Toge!"

Illima stood in front of Stantler and smiled.

"You're safe now," Illima said. "That hunter will never harm you again." Illima patted Stantler on the head. "You can now head home now." Stantler nuzzles Illima's hand.

"I think Stantler wants to be with you," Acerola said.

"I should agree," Illima took out a Pokéball and Stantler presses the button and flows inside. Stars swirls around the Pokéball confirming the catch. "I promise to take care of you."

Not too long after, everyone stood outside the police station.

"Thank you all for what you did for us," Officer Jenny said. "I was so worked up about the illusionary Stantler, I didn't even noticed about the real problem close to home."

"We're just glad the problem is solved," Sophocles said.

"But at least no one has to worry over something that wasn't even real in the first place," Cody said.

"And we still would have that problem if you hadn't figured that out," Officer Jenny said smiling.

"You are welcome, Officer Jenny," Illima said. "Stantler is in very good hands now. And I swear to take very good care of him."

Sora, Kairi, Pikachu, Togepi, and the Alolan nine all said their goodbyes to the policewoman and their friends as they continued on towards Violet City. And Illima now has a new Pokémon to boot. There are many more adventures along the way.