Pokemon Fan Fiction / Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Pokémon: Sora's Journey ❯ Falkner's Inner Peace ( Chapter 96 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Episode 96: Falkner's Inner Peace

After having his Pokémon checked up and making a switch with Silvally for Phanpy, Sora, Kairi, Pikachu, Togepi, and the Alolan nine all set off to find the Gym Leader of the Violet City Gym.

"This sure is a nice place," Kairi said. "I was wondering if you would to do some sightseeing after the Gym match."

"Okay, Kairi. We can do that," Sora said. He places his arm around his girlfriend. "I mean why not check things out while we're here?"

"Can we come too?" Sophocles asked as Hapu kicked him. "Ow! Why'd you do that for?"

"Two things. One: I felt like it. And two: it's not a date if we tag along," Hapu said.

"Hapu's right. We'll have to leave the happy couple be for some alone time," Illima said.

The group continued to head towards the Violet City Gym to ask the Gym Leader for a battle only for Team Rocket to show up. They put on some cheesy disguises in an attempt to swipe Pikachu from Sora. Out of all of them, Meowth's disguise was plain ridiculous, but Wobbufett was even more absurd.

"Are you ready to begin with our operation?" Jessie asked.

"With these uniforms, we're ready for anything," James said.

"When the twerp is preoccupied with his battle, we can go in and nab Pikachu and escape with our balloon made with extra rubber!" Meowth said.

"Wobbufett!" Wobbufett said.

Walkikg by is a middle aged good looking man with a long graying black beard wearing a crimson kimono walked by and overheard them talking about them stealing someone else's Pokémon. His right eye had glimmered a bit of anger and has no intention of letting that stand. Team Rocket were about to set off with their plan when he stepped in with a stern glare.

"So, you openly admit that you steal Pokémon from other trainers," the man said his voice sounding cold and enraged. "Unforgivable!"

"Unforgivable, you say?" Jessie said sarcastically.

"Oh, how will we ever live with ourselves," James added.

"You can cry us a river because Team Rocket does whatever Team Rocket wants to do," Jessie said.

"That is not allowed," the man said taking out a Pokéball and firmly held it in his hand. He prepares to throw it. "Noctowl! Come forth!" He threw his Pokéball and it lets out an owl-like Pokémon. It appears to have 6 dark brown, upside down triangles on its body. Its wings and wedge-shaped tail are dark brown. It has cream-colored horns that look like eyebrows. Team Rocket take out their Pokéballs as well.

"Arbok! Go!" Jessie said throwing her Pokéball.

"Go in there, Weezing!" James said throwing his Pokéball.

The Pokéballs open as Arbok and Weezing enter the battle ready to attack the owl Pokémon.

"Arbok! Use Crunch now!" Jessie ordered. Arbok moved in to deliver a bite to Noctwol.

"Weezing! Use Sludge Wave!" James ordered. Weezing fires a huge wave of sludge from his mouth.

"Noctowl! Use Confusion!" The man ordered. Noctwol blocks Arbok's Crunch and the sludge. Noctwol sends Arbok and the sludge back to Weezing. "Now use Sky Attack!" Noctowl's eyebrow tufts glow white and it flies into the air as it prepares for the Rocket weren't going to let that happen.

"Arbok! Stop that Noctowl now!" Jessie ordered. Arbok jumped in the air to land a bite.

"Weezing! Double Hit now!" James ordered. Weezing charges towards Noctowl to deliver the attack. Noctowl's body becomes surrounded by a white aura and it flies into the opponent. The attack sends the two Poison Types back to their trainers. Jessie growled in frustration.

"I'll show you!" She hissed turning to Wobbufett. "Wobbufett! Get in there!"

"Wobbufett!" Wobbufett!

"Noctowl! Hypnosis!" The man ordered. Noctwol flies in front of Wobbufett and its glow bright red. Wobbufett stares into the owl Pokémon's eyes and falls right to sleep. "Now use Dream Eater!" A ball of energy flows from Wobbufett's body and into Noctowl's body. "Send these heathens flying with Confusion!" Noctowl's eyes glows blue and lifted Team Rocket in the air.

"Hey! What's going on?!" Jessie exclaimed.

"Don't tell me it's not what I think it is, is it?" James asked.

"I think it is," Meowth said.

"Now!" The man ordered. Noctowl sends the villainous, but moronicly trio and their Pokémon flying in the air.

"No fair! No fair! No fair! I hate it when an evil plan is thwarted before it's even set!" Jessie hissed.

"I just hate it when she gets like this," James said.

"I just hate to think about what's gonna happen once we land!" Meowth said.

"IT LOOKS LIKE TEAM ROCKET'S BLASTING OFF AGAIN!" Team Rocket flies off in the distance as a star twinkles in the distance. The man calls back his Noctowl and took his leave unaware of Madame Muchmoney's Snubbull sniffing the area.

"Snubbull. Snub, Snub," Snubbull said as she kept going to find Meowth.

The man made his way to the Violet City Gym to see the group of kids standing outside speaking with the Gym staff members.

"What do you mean the Gym Leader isn't here?" Sora asked feeling disappointed.

"Like I said, Falkner had stepped out and he'll be back later tonight," the staff member said.

"So where is he now?" Sora asked.

"He should be at the Sprout Tower," another staff member said.

"The Sprout Tower?" Sora asked.

"Well..." The staff member was about to explain when the man walked up to the group.

"The Sprout Tower is where humans go to train to be one with Pokémon," the man said approaching them. "It is said a hundred foot Bellsprout was used to the swaying pillar."

"I think I heard about that," Mallow said. "My mom used to tell me that story when I was little. What I heard is the Sprout Tower is dedicated to the gentle and peaceful nature of Bellsprout."

"That is correct, young lady," the man said. "My son goes there often to train."

"Your son?" Kiawe asked.

"The Gym Leader Falkner," the man said. "Before him, I was the Gym Leader until he had inherited it from me."

"You said your son is the Gym Leader, right?" Kairi asked.

"Indeed. My name is Gozaboro, by the way," he introduced himself. He looks over to Sora. "And may I presume that you're the one who is challenging my son?"

"Yes sir. I am," Sora answered.

"And what is your name?" Gozaboro asked.

"My name is Sora Ketchum from Pallet Town," Sora answered.

"Sora? Named after the sky," Gozaboro said. "A fine name." He placed his hand on his shoulder. "You might find the Sprout Tower if you should follow this road." He points to his left. "You will see statues of Bellsprout on the front."

"Thanks," Sora said.

Gozaboro smiled and nodded as the kids took off in the direction to the Sprout Tower.

"That boy reminds so much of Falkner at his age," Gozaboro said in his thoughts.

The group made their way to the Sprout Tower and saw how tall it is.

"Whao," Sora said in awe.

"This place is huge," Lana said.

"But, I wonder how big it is on the inside," Kiawe said.

"I don't think we're going to find out by standing here," Hapu said.

"Right. Let's all go in," Sora said. Kairi and the Alolan nine all went with Sora inside the tower. Upon entering the structure, they all saw the swaying pillar; moving in a similar fashion of a Bellsprout. They all had concerns about it falling over at some point; but they wondered how they would deal with an earthquake. The group looked around and saw the monks with their Bellsprout. "Hm. No wonder they call it the Sprout Tower."

"Maybe we should ask if anyone knows where Falkner is," Mina suggested.

"Good idea. Let's do that," Sora said. Sora approached one of the monks whom was feeding some of the Bellsprout. "Excuse me." The monk turned to the visitors. "I was wondering if you would know where Falkner is. We were told he'd be here in the tower."

"Falkner is currently with Elder Li," the monk told him. "You can find them both on the top floor of the tower."

"Thanks," Sora said. "Sorry to bother you."

Sora, Kairi, Pikachu, Togepi, and the Alolan nine started to make their way towards the top floor of the tower. Meanwhile on the top floor, a young man with blue eyes and blue hair, which covers his right eye is meditating along side an elderly man with a white beard. The old man's outfit is considered to be a higher ranking monk. The young man wore a white-outlined blue jacket, which is decorated with four white buttons. He also wore white socks and black shoes.

"Breathe deeply, Falkner, " the elder said to him. "Become one with the universe." Falkner takes a deep breath. "Now tell me what you see."

"I can see nothing," Falkner stated. "Nothing but a black void."

"And what do you see beyond that?" The elder asked. Falkner was silent for a moment. He struggles to come with an answer, but so far he came across nothing. The elder took notice of his frustration.

"I can't see anything!" Falkner said. He let out a frustrated groan. "What am I trying to accomplish? I can't do it! I honestly don't know what to do!"

"What is it that you think you are doing?" The elder asked the young Gym Leader.

"I am trying to be the Gym Leader that my father expects me to be! But I just don't know if I have what it takes!" Falkner said.

"You fear that you will displease your father, but the one you really are displeasing is yourself," Elder Li said. Falkner looked at the elder, but he couldn't argue with him since Falkner knew he was right. "What do you think your father would say if he sees you doubting yourself?"

"He would think that I'm just a disappointment in his eyes. He would think that I'm not taking my position as Gym Leader seriously," Falkner said.

"Is that what you believe?" Elder Li asked. Falkner nodded. "Your father would be disappointed if he had heard you say that about yourself. You expect too much of yourself. Look out to those trees outside." Falkner looks outside and sees the peach trees outside. "You cannot expect the trees to bloom when it suits you; nor can you expect it to bare its fruit before its time."

"But there are things that I can expect, elder," Falkner said. "I can expect the fruit to fall. And I can expect to plant the seeds. And that is not too much."

"Yes," the elder agreed. "You can wish to your heart's content for apples, oranges, lemons, or even pears. But the seeds will grow into a peach tree."

"But what does a peach has to do with me?" Falkner asked.

"A lot to do with you," the elder said. "Your father planted that seed and you are not letting it grow. As a result, you are like a caged bird. The cage is opened, but you are afraid to fly out because you are afraid you will fall." Falkner looked at the elder. "Am I wrong?"

"I have no idea," Falkner admitted.

Falkner didn't know what to make of what the elder said, but he knew he had to consider it. A little while later, Sora, Kairi, Pikachu, Togepi, and the Alolan nine all made it to the top of the tower and met up with Falkner and the elder. The old monk smiled and stood up.

"Welcome, young visitors," the elder greeted. "I am Elder Li. What brings you here?"

"I was wondering if I could have a Gym battle with the Gym Leader of the Violet City Gym," Sora said. "But we can come back later." Elder Li raised his hand.

"You needn't do that, child," the elder said. "The Sprout Tower welcomes all." He gestures the group to come. "Please, come closer." They all do come closer. "Please sit." Sora does sit down. Pikachu jumps off of Sora's shoulder.

"Thank you," Sora simply said.

"It is good of you to come here. Please speak your name," the elder said.

"My name is Sora," he introduced himself.

"Sora. Let me ask you something. Do you believe you have a special bond with your Pokémon?" The elder asked. Sora was caught off guard with the elder's question.

"Of course I do," Sora said. "My Pokémon and I have been through so much ever since I became a Pokémon trainer."

"Is that so?" The elder stroked his beard. "Then you should show me your bond." He stands up. "I shall test your battling skills." He took out his Pokéball. "We shall have a two on two battle."

"Then you're on," Sora accepting the challenge. He took out a Pokéball ready for anything the elder can throw at him.

"Yin, go," the elder said sending out a Bellsprout. The Bellsprout wobbles its body similar to the tower's pillar. This Bellsprout seems to be calm and collective.

"Okay Cyndaquil! Go!" Sora said throwing his Pokéball letting out Cyndaquil.

"Quil," Cyndaquil yawned.

"Can't use Flamethrower because I don't want to burn the place by accident," Sora said in his thoughts. "Better battle smart in this one."

"Using a Fire Type Pokémon such as Cyndaquil is a wise move, young Sora. You may have the first move," Elder Li offered.

"Thanks. Cyndaquil! Tackle!" Sora ordered. Cyndaquil charged towards the flower Pokémon with a full force of his body.

"Yin, use Tickle," Elder Li ordered. Bellsprout waited for Cyndaquil to come close. Bellsprout tickles Cyndaquil's belly causing him to laugh.

Sora, Pikachu, Kairi, and the Alolan nine were caught off with by the elder's Bellsprout having Cyndaquil in a tickling fit.

"Doesn't Tickle lowers the attack and defense of the target by one stage when used?" Sophocles asked.

"It does," Lillie said. "That Bellsprout is doing a number on Cyndaquil without hurting him."

"Can Sora look around it?" Acerola asked.

"Hope he does," Hapu said.

"Cyndaquil! Try to resist the tickles!" Sora called out. The Bellsprout keeps tickling the fire mouse Pokémon with its leaves. Cyndaquil laughed so hard he accidentally shot out Swift and it hits Yin in the face.

"Bellsprout," Yin said.

"Cyndaquil just learned to use Swift," Sora said in his thoughts.

"Do not worry, Yin. Use Tickle again," Elder Li said. Yin moved towards Cyndaquil to tickle him again. Sora was ready for it this time.

"Cyndaquil! Smokescreen!" Sora ordered. Cyndaquil fired smoke around the Bellsprout and himself. Elder Li figured Sora thought he had the advantage because of the smoke covering himself.

"Yin. Remain calm and collective. Sense where Cyndaquil is hiding," Elder Li said.

"Sprout, Bellsprout, Sprout," Yin said closing its eyes. Yin had sensed Cyndaquil's movements. He began moving towards it slowly not wanting to risk another tickle attack. Once Cyndaquil was just close enough, Yin grabs Cyndaquil by the paw and gave Cyndaquil a toss. It blows the smoke away.

"Cyndaquil! Use Swift now!" Sora called out as Cyndaquil fired Swift. The stars strikes Yin hard. "Use Tackle!" Cyndaquil charges towards the Bellsprout with his back blazing. Yin dodges just by simply moving to the side. "Tackle again! Move when Bellsprout moves!" Cyndaquil moved much faster this time. Yin moved to the side again, but Cyndaquil moved to the side Bellsprout moved and this time his Tackle made a successful hit. "Swift one more time!" Cyndaquil fires Swift at the Bellsprout and it falls to the floor beaten. Elder Li smiled as he calls back Yin.

"Magnificent. Your skills are impressive," Elder Li said. "Most trainers would have used a Fire Type attack to deal damage to Bellsprout. But you considered the possibility of the attack could miss and turn the tower on fire, correct?"

"Yes," Sora simply answered. "I didn't want burn down the tower by accident and endanger any lives here." Elder Li stroked his beard.

"So it was the concern for the safety of others. You have displayed compassion for others by considering the outcome of possible dangers. And you relied on your instincts as well. Well done," Elder Li said. He took out another Pokéball. "Now here is my next Pokémon. Yang go." He let out another Bellsprout, but this one was a bit hostile than the one Sora had just battled; in fact, a tad aggressive. Cyndaquil yawned and fell asleep, feeling pooped from the battle with Yin. Sora pulls out Cyndaquil's Pokéball.

"Okay Cyndaquil, you should rest up for a while," Sora said calling back Cyndaquil. He looked over to Pikachu. "You up for a battle, Pikachu?"

"Pika," Pikachu nodded. Pikachu entered the battle to battle the aggressive Bellsprout.

"Pikachu against Yang. Hm. An interesting choice," Elder Li said.

"Remember Pikachu. Your Electric attacks won't do much damage on a Grass Type Pokémon like this Bellsprout," Sora reminded Pikachu.

"Chu," Pikachu nodded as he understood.

"You may have the first move once more, Sora," the elder said.

"Pikachu! Quick Attack!" Sora ordered. Pikachu ran across the floor towards the Bellsprout.

"Yang, use Vine Whip," Elder Li said. The aggressive Bellsprout smacked Pikachu on the sides. "Now use Sludge Bomb." Yang fires a huge ball of Sludge at Pikachu.

"Pikachu! Dodge!" Sora called out avoiding the ball of sludge. "Iron Tail!" Pikachu swung his tail at the aggressive Bellsprout. Yang blocks the attack with its leaf. The two of them were locked in combat not one was backing away.

"Your Pikachu's spirit is very impressive. You have done a splendid job of raising it," Elder Li complimented. "But is your Pikachu's spirit in sync with your spirit?"

"You're going to find out," Sora said. "Pikachu! Thunderbolt!" Kairi, the Alolan nine, and Falkner were surprised by what Sora told his Pikachu to do. Pikachu gave Yang quite a shock. The electric shock was enough to paralyze the Bellsprout. Elder Li has noticed the paralysis pretty quick. "Now use Iron Tail again!" Pikachu swung his tail at Yang. The Bellsprout falls to the ground and struggles to get back up. The Bellsprout refused to give up and attempted to attack Pikachu, but falls to the ground before Yang could land a hit.

"Perhaps Yang still has much to learn," Elder Li said calling back his fallen Bellsprout. He sets his attention to Falkner. "The same for you, young Falkner." He looked at the elder who is in content even after he lost the battle. "What this boy has displayed is his inner peace?"

"Inner peace?" Sora asked.

"You said I was going to find out and I have," the elder said. "The way you battled is truly elegant. You and your Pokémon are truly one. But as we battled, I sensed there was something more." He looked over to the ten other kids and the elder knew what it was.

"If you're talking about my friends here, then you'd be right. They all have been with me since the day we met," Sora said. He even looked over to Kairi as she smiled at her boyfriend. "But there was one who was with me right with me from the start." That made Kairi smiled because she knew how true it was. Sora had saved Kairi's life from Pokémon hunters and fell in love with her instantly, and she did the same for him. Their first offical kiss was something Kairi will always treasure for as long as she lived.

"Well, it's no surprise to me," Illima said. "Sora's is pretty much the most optimistic person I have ever known."

"He's always so positive," Lillie said.

"And so upbeat," Mallow said.

"He does have fun from time to time, but he's loyal to a cause," Kiawe said.

"Examples of inner peace. Young Sora has already found his inner peace," Elder Li said.

Falkner looked over to Sora and walked up to him.

"Sora isn't it? I gotta admit you're pretty good. But I would like to see how well you do against me," Falkner said.

"I was going to challenge you to a Gym battle anyway," Sora said. "Besides, I would like to see what power does the Johto region has to offer."

The group made their way back to the Gym for the upcoming battle. Gozaboro was waiting for the group to return.

"I see you have returned, son," Gozaboro said setting his sights on Sora. "The same with you, Sora."

"When did you come back, dad?" Falkner asked.

"Just today; just came to see how you're doing," Gozaboro explained. "I just never expected you to be challenged into a Gym battle."

"I didn't expect it either, dad," Falkner said. "But, it's always good to see you."

"The same with me, boy," Gozaboro said. He looked towards Sora and then back to his own son. "I hope the both of you will put on quite a performance."

"I know we will. Right Falkner?" Sora asked.

Falkner nodded, "Right Sora." Both trainers shook hands hoping to have themselves a wholesome battle. "You said you wanted to see what Johto has to offer and you will not be disappointed."

Both trainers took their positions for the battle. Gozaboro sat along with Kairi, and the Alolan nine for the battle.

"Okay! The battle between the Violet City Gym Leader Falkner and the challenger Sora Ketchum from Pallet Town is about to begin! Both trainers will be using two Pokémon each! In accordance to the rules of the Johto region's Pokémon League, only the challenger is allowed to make substitutions! The battle is over if both of either the challenger's or the Gym Leader's Pokémon are unable to battle! There is no time limit! Let the battle begin!" The referee announced. Falkner chose his first Pokéball.

"Alright Pidgey! Go into battle!" Falkner said throwing his Pokéball. The Pokéball opens and lets out a Pidgey; this Pidgey is a tad bigger than normal. Sora took out Phanpy's Pokéball and threw it.

"Then I'm going to send out Phanpy!" Sora said while he was throwing his Pokéball.

"Phanpy-Phan!" Phanpy said making his entrance.

"He's starting up with a Pidgey. And a big one too," Lana said.

"His Pidgey was a little smaller the last time I saw it. I wonder if Falkner's training has paid off," Gozaboro said.

"Pidgey! Begin with Quick Attack!" Falkner ordered. Pidgey flew at lightning speed.

"Phanpy! Dodge it!" Sora called out. Phanpy managed to move out of the way before Pidgey could land a hit. But, Pidgey came back around and strike Phanpy hard. "Phanpy! Use Tackle now!" Phanpy charges towards the little bird Pokémon at a full charge of his body.

"Pidgey! Dodge it and use Wing Attack!" Falkner ordered. Pidgey avoids Phanpy's Tackle and dove down at the little elephant Pokémon hitting him with his wings.

"Did you see that? His Pidgey is tougher than I thought," Acerola pointed out.

"That's what we're thinking too," Kairi said feeling worried. "But, it does bring back memories." Kairi remembered the first Gym battle Sora ever had. She remembered how intense the battle with Brock was. Brock was a rock-hard opponent to deal with. Kairi had to see how Falkner is different from Brock and the rest of the Kanto Gym Leaders.

"Phanpy! Tackle!" Sora ordered. Phanpy charged towards Pidgey ready to strike.

"Pidgey! Use Twister!" Falkner ordered. Pidgey flapped its wings and whipped up a tornado creating a strong wind heading towards Phanpy.

"Phanpy! Try to dodge out of the way! Rollout!" Sora called out. Phanpy rolled up into a ball and rolls away from the tornado, only to get caught in the Twister. "Phanpy, stay as a ball!" Sora called out. Phanpy stayed a ball and kept rolling and rolling faster and faster. Once the tornado has ceased, Phanpy rolled straight into Pidgey landed a direct hit. The little bird fell to the ground beaten from the full force of the rolling attack. Phanpy unrolls himself.

"Pidgey is unable to battle! Phanpy wins!" The referee announced.

"Way to go, Sora!" Kairi cheered.

"Toge, Togepi!" Togepi chirped.

"Very impressive," Gozaboro said smiling. "My son's opponent has took down his Pidgey by using the speed of the tornado to his advantage. Very good strategy."

"None of us were expecting that to happen," Mallow said.

"I know I didn't," Mina said.

"Now Falkner has one Pokémon left," Kiawe said.

Falkner calls back his fallen Pidgey and smiles.

"That was very impressive, Sora," Falkner said. He took out his second Pokéball. "Now here is my second Pokémon!" Falkner threw the Pokéball. "Pidgeotto! Go!" He threw the Pokéball and lets out his Pidgeotto. Falkner's Pidgeotto spreads its wings upon entry. Sora looked over to Phanpy.

"You still good to go, Phanpy?" Sora asked.

"Phanpy, Phan!" Phanpy nodded.

"Great! Use Rollout!" Sora ordered. Phanpy rolled into a ball and hurdled towards Pidgeotto like a cannonball, but Falkner was ready for it.

"Pidgeotto! Gust now!" Falkner called out as Pidgeotto flaps its wings and it takes Phanpy in the air. "Now use Steel Wing!" Pidgeotto flew towards Phanpy and landed a hit. Phanpy falls to the ground beaten.

"Phanpy is unable to battle! Pidgeotto wins!" The referee announced.

"Both has one Pokémon left," Sophocles said.

"Yeah and we all know he'll be sending Pikachu right out," Hapu pointed out.

"Falkner would take that as insult," Gozaboro said. Kairi and the Alolan nine all turned to the man.

"Why would he take it as an insult?" Kairi asked.

"Falkner loves bird Pokémon with a passion, but he finds the use of an Electric Type Pokémon against a Flying Type Pokémon as an insult," Gozaboro said. "I know you are concerned for your friend for losing, but I feel that way about my son. His love for bird Pokémon will ultimately be his downfall if he is not careful."

"Okay Pikachu! Go!" Sora said.

"Pikachu!" Pikachu enters the battle ready to battle. Falkner started to have a look of anger on his face since Pikachu is out on the field.

"I figured he'd send out his Pikachu against me," Falkner said in his thoughts. "In the name of bird Pokémon everywhere, I will avenge the honor that Electric Type Pokémon has disgraced."

"Pikachu! Thunderbolt!" Sora ordered. Pikachu fired Thunderbolt right at the bird Pokémon. Pidgeotto just stood there ready for the attack.

"Pidgeotto! Double Team!" Falkner ordered. Pidgeotto created several copies of itself to catch Pikachu completely off guard. "Now use Steel Wing!" Pidgeotto flew towards the mouse Pokémon with its wings metalized. They all hit Pikachu on the mark.

"Pikachu! Try to find the real one! Electro Ball!" Sora called out. Pikachu forms a ball of electricity and sends it to one of the Pidgeotto, but that one wasn't real.

"Pidgeotto! Use Rain Dance!" Falkner ordered. Pidgeotto creates a rain cloud making it rain inside the Gym.

Meanwhile, just outside the gym, Gligar managed to find the group and watch the battle through the window. Gligar has finally found them again.

"Doesn't anyone remember this from somewhere?" Acerola asked.

"I do," Illima said. "If I recall, Prince Wesleyan used this trick before."

"His Pidgeotto didn't know Rain Dance or Hurricane the last time I was here," Gozaboro pointed out. "Falkner has come up with an excellent strategy while I was away."

"Now Pidgeotto! Use Hurricane!" Falkner ordered. Pidgeotto and the copies manipulate the winds sending out towards Pikachu.

"Pikachu! Dodge it! Quickly!" Sora called out. Pikachu ran as fast as his feet couple carry him. The winds were getting stronger and stronger by the minute.

"Pidgeotto! Use Steel Wing!" Falkner ordered. Pidgeotto and the copies hit Pikachu again. Pikachu was taking a real beating.

Gligar was watching the battle with Pidgeotto go on. He had to cheer for Pikachu since he used Iron Tail to protect his trainer. Sora had to put an end to it quickly, then he remembered something back at the Indigo Plateau finals. He remembered he took down Prince Wesleyan's Gyarados by sending Thunderbolt into the rain cloud. He wondered if he could try that again.

"Pikachu! Use Thunderbolt! Aim for the cloud this time!" Sora called out.

"Pika!" Pikachu nodded.

Kairi and the Alolan nine all saw this move before. Pikachu sends Thunderbolt straight into the rain cloud creating a lightning storm. It was even more intense than the last time Sora did that. Pikachu ducked down sticking out his tail using it as a lightning rod. The yellow lightning strikes Pikachu's tail and Pikachu became electrified.

"We definitely seen this before," Kairi said.

"What is he trying to do, exactly?" Gozaboro asked.

"Sora used this trick on Prince Wesleyan's Gyarados back in the Indigo Plateau Pokémon League finals," Kairi explained. "Sora's Pikachu used the combo of Rain Dance and Hurricane against him. I think he's trying that again."

"Okay Pikachu! Use Thunderbolt! Use it on all of the Pidgeotto now!" Sora called out. Sora figure he couldn't find the real thing, then he had to attack all of them. When the attack hits all of the Pidgeotto, all of the others disappeared and the real one fell to the ground. Pidgeotto tumbled to the ground right into Falkner's arms.

"Pidgeotto, no!" Falkner gasped.

"Pidgeotto is unable to battle! Pikachu wins! The winner is Sora Ketchum from Pallet Town!" The referee announced.

Sora's friends cheered for their friend especially Kairi. Gozaboro was very impressed by Sora's skills as a trainer. Falkner calls Pidgeotto back into its Pokéball and fell to his knees.

"Damn! I can't believe I lost!" Falkner said pounding the ground. "I lost to an Electric Type Pokémon!" Gozaboro walked up to his son.

"Falkner. Stop feeling bad for yourself, " Gozaboro said. "You have to remember you are a Gym Leader now."

"Dad. I let you down," Falkner said.

"How so?" Gozaboro asked.

"I was trying to live up to your expectations. I was trying to be the Gym Leader you can be proud of," Falkner said.

"Is that what's bothering you, son?" Gozaboro asked. Falkner nodded. "Son, you shouldn't try to win my approval. You already had my approval. I'm just sorry that I put some pressure on you without realizing it at first. The thing is, you are not me."

"Your dad is right, Falkner," Sora said. "You can't be your dad. I battled each Gym Leader and they all did their own thing. Not one of them lost sight of what was important. And if everyone says they liked your dad better as a Gym Leader, then you haven't done much as a Gym Leader." Falkner started to let it all sink in.

"You're right. It wasn't my dad I was worried about disappointing. It was myself," Falkner said. "I guess that's what Elder Li was trying to tell me." He looked right at Sora. "But, as Gym Leader, I have something for you." Falkner took out a badge shaped like a pair of wings. "As living proof of your victory of the Violet City Gym, I reward you with the Zephyr Badge." Sora takes the badge.

"Thanks Falkner," Sora said. "One down, seven to go."

"The next Gym is located Azalea Town," Falkner said. "Azalea Town is famous for the apricorn Pokéballs."

"And that's where Kurt is," Sora said. "One of the reasons we're here in Johto is to deliver the GS Ball so as he can have a look at it."

"I wish you luck on the rest of your journey," Gozaboro said. With that done, Sora, Kairi, Pikachu, Togepi, and the Alolan nine returned to the local Pokémon Center to have their Pokémon checked in and for Sora and Kairi to have their own date before heading out to Azalea Town. Gligar follows the lovebirds the whole time being careful not being seen.

Sora has won his first Johto Badge and he now has to require seven more to participate in the Johto region's Pokémon League tournament. Not only that, but he has to deliver the GS Ball to Kurt as well. Many more adventures will be on the way!