Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Deception ❯ Just A Mission ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer:  I don't own 'em.  It's quite simple.

Originally written: 08-08-00

Warning in general for whole:  Occasional swearing, adult situations, violence etc etc

Deception

 

Chapter One: Just A Mission 

"Today has to be the most boring day we've had this year." Commented one of the guards at the gates of Team Rocket headquarters.

 "Tell me about it," replied the other, "The only excitement we've had was when…" the ma paused, staring into space, "well, there hasn't been any."

 The two guards fell into an uncomfortable silence. 

They stood at each side of the black metal gates that protected the giant white building behind it.  The huge red 'R' on the door behind the gates stood out against the white.  Although the building stood out in colour, it was secluded in the forest about 4 miles outside of Viridian City.  No one ever went that way; no one ever would have expected anything going on in the middle of the forest. It was mid-day and the guards were getting extremely bored, nothing had happened, and Giovanni had had them both on guard duty for the whole year.

 "I tell ya, he must be demoting us."  Said one.

 "Yeah, that's what I was thinking.  Otherwise he wouldn't have kept us out here so…"

 The guard was interrupted as the loud sound of helicopter propellers were heard coming their way.  The guards immediately stopped lounging about and stood up straight, rifles aimed cautiously at the incoming helicopter. As the helicopter came in to sight, the guards could see it was one of there own.  A black, hi-tech helicopter, with the red 'R' on the side.

 "Oh, must just be another recruit."

 However, just in case, they still kept their aim.  The helicopter landed and the engine was switched off.  As the propellers slowed and stopped, the black door slid open and a young man stepped out.  As the guards saw who it was, they started wide eyes in fear.  They dropped their guns to the floor and stepped back against the wall.

 "Oh shit," stuttered one, "It's him."

 The other guard replied by gulping. 

The man who had stepped out of the helicopter was young and slim.  He was fairly tall and wore a uniform that only the most special Team Rocket members wore; plain black pants, boots, shirt and gloves.  He wore a black ankle length coat.  On the front of the coat was the red 'R', cut in half, each half on one side of the coat as it was un-done, hanging loosely at his sides.  You couldn't see his eyes, as they were covered by a pair of black sunglasses, which the sun sparkled off the side.  His pokèball's were in his black belt, partly covered by the lengthy coat, and the other side of his belt, a handgun hung loosely.  He had a strange sense of un-easiness and evil around him, but the most striking part of this man…was his lavender blue hair.  Shoulder length, with one wisp of hair falling loosely in his eyes.

The guard's stood there literally shaking in their boots.  They dare move, dare talk, dare breath. The man menacingly walked towards them.  The guards just stood there. The man walked up to the gate, not looking at the guards.  He stood there, as if waiting for something.  One of the guards understood and flipped the switch to open the gates.  The gates parted and the man walked through, leaving the two guards to look at each other with pure fear in their eyes.

 The man walked up to the white door and opened them.  The room he went into was a brightly lit room, with expensive paintings on the walls.  A desk was in one corner, with a young woman sitting behind it typing on her computer.  The man walked up behind the desk.

 "I'm here to see Giovanni."  His voice was deep and stern, with no emotion.

 "Sorry, but unless you have an appointment I can't let you through." The woman said, not looking up from her computer.

 The man lowered himself over the desk and grabbed the woman by the shirt, pulling her up from her chair as he stood there.  She gasped with surprise.

 "I don't think I made myself clear.  I am here to see Giovanni…now."

 He didn't raise his voice at all; it stayed in the same tone.  The poor woman was terrified, she tried to reach for the button under her desk to call security, but the man let go of her and she fell into her chair.  He un-hocked the gun from his belt and shoved it against her neck.

 "I wouldn't if I were you." He said. "Now just open the elevator door, and I'll be on my way."

With his spare hand, he slowly took of his glasses, revealing the most beautiful, yet heartless, emerald green eyes.

The woman's look of fear turned into pure hysteria.

She stuttered incoherently when she recognised who it was and quickly pressed the elevator button on her desk and the doors opened.

The man put his glasses back on, "That's better." He chided.

He put the gun back on his belt and walked into the elevator. The doors closed and the elevator made it slow descent to Giovanni's private office.  As the doors opened and the man walked out down a long corridor towards the big wooden doors at the other end.  Not pausing to knock, he just pushed back the doors and entered.

Giovanni's office was huge, but empty.  Only one desk and an occupied chair was there, the rest of the room was cast in shadow, as the only light was over the desk, and didn't quite fill the room.  It wasn't that Giovanni couldn't afford to have proper lighting, it was just he always had liked to make people feel nervous when in his office, and the darkness surrounding it seemed to work quite nicely. 

But not in this case.

The man walked up behind the desk and waited patiently for the chair to turn around to him.

 "I'm glad you could make it James, on such short notice." Said the voice behind the chair.   

A Persian came out from the shadows and jumped up on the chair, as it swivelled around to see the Persian being stroked by Giovanni.

 "You wanted to see me Sir?" the man asked, with no fear in his voice.

 "Yes.  You have been my most trusted and successful member of Team Rocket since you first joined at the tender age of 12.  I have put you through many tough and dangerous missions before, but although this next one isn't exactly dangerous, it will certainly see how much you learned in those acting lessons you had when you were younger." Giovanni smirked, but James didn't change his expression.

 "I'm up for anything."

Giovanni smiled, "Good.  Do you remember one of our best Rocket members who died in an avalanche before you joined?"

 "I heard about it, she had a daughter I believe."

 "You believed correctly.  Her name is Jessica, she is also a Rocket member, but she hasn't got that spark that her mother had.  This is where you come in."

James raised an eyebrow in curiosity.

 "I'm teaming you up with her.  But this is not going to just be any old teaming.  You're my best member James, and I want you to teach Jessie.  But I want you to go undercover.  I've tried forced training before, and it doesn't work as effectively.  Therefore this time, I'm trying a gentler, but more deceptive approach."

 "Just tell me what I have to do."

 "This is where your acting lessons come in.  I want you to get close to her, find out everything about her.  Now I warn you, she's quite a character.  I want you to act the…innocent one."

 "Innocent huh? This is definitely a challenge." He smirked.

 "Very." Giovanni smirked back, "Let her be in control, don't fight back against her.  If she gets angry, hits you, anything, just shake it off.  You have to act almost…pathetic if you like, around her.  Make her know that she is in control of you.  Remember, when I say 'close', I don't mean anything more than friends got it?  But then again, remember, this is an undercover mission, you are not becoming real friends understand?"

 "Perfectly." He replied, "What's this for, and how long am I going to be doing this?"

 "This will be for about 3 years, longer if necessary, and my intentions will become clear when this mission is over."

 "When do I leave?"

 "Well, first of all, I am 'pretending' to demoted you to a White Rocket, which is what Jessie is.  That's why all your skills and knowledge you have now, you have to hide, never let her see who you really are.  Now, I'm paying for her to be at Pokemon Tech at the moment, and I have an agreement with the Head Master there about you getting in.  They will make sure that everywhere she goes, you go." He got up of his chair and walked to James.  "You leave as soon as you're ready.  Good luck, you're gonna need." James nodded at him and turned to go back through the door. "Oh by the way." James turned back around. "To help you seem the innocent one, take this."

 Giovanni picked a red rose out of the vase of flowers on his desk and handed it to James.  James frowned.

 "Make it a trademark." He said.

-----  

"Hey, have you heard about this new kid?" A young 17-year-old girl asked.

"Yeah, I can't wait to see him, people say he's reeeeeally cute." Another one laughed, "What about you Jess?"

"Hmmm, couldn't really care less." Said a girl with long strawberry coloured hair, leaning against a tree nearby.

"Oh come on Jess, don't tell me that last guy has put you off men forever."

"It definitely has, all men are the same, they only want you for one thing."

 "Yeah yeah." The others said in union.

Suddenly, another girl came running up to them from up a grass ridge out of breath, 

"Hey Clara!  Jess! Katy! Wait up!"

 "Sarah, what is it?"

 "That new kid, he's over here.  God you have got to see him he is ssssoooooooo gooooorgeous!!"

Three of them went running over there, but Jessie just sighed, and slowly walked over.

It was a busy, bright day at Pokemon Tech.  It was new students day, but only a few new people were coming this year.  That's why everyone was so excited; they wanted to meet all the new guys. 

Jessie rounded the corner to see her three friends staring, mouths open, at a young man standing by the door of Pokemon Tech, a rucksack over his shoulder, and a red rose in his hand.  He had quite shocking lavender blue hair, shoulder length, and a cute wisp of hair in his face.  He blinked rapidly, as that piece of hair got in his eyes.  His eyes.  The most beautiful green eyes she had ever seen, they almost looked like real emeralds.  He looked so innocent standing there; he probably had no idea where to go or what to do.

 "Oh…my…god." Clara breathed, "He is the most beautiful guy I have ever seen."

 "Yeah" the others replied, not really paying any attention to Clara, as they were all fixed in a trance at this new guy standing there.

Jessie stood to the side of them looking at this hansom creature.  There was something about him that made her heart flutter.  Something about him, that her heart told her that he would be the one she would spend the rest of her life with.  Maybe that was a bit farfetched at this stage, but something was there.  Something told her to walk up to him.  Normal she wouldn't give a damn if yet another person joined Pokemon tech, to her it was just another person to take the mick out of, to be cruel to.  But this guy, something was different about him

She walked past her friends heading towards him.

 "Hey Jess, now don't be mean." They laughed

Jessie ignored them; she just had to meet this guy.  Her three friends looked at her just waiting for the insults to be aimed at this poor and helpless guy. Jessie walked up behind him and waited for him to notice.  Feeling a presence, he turned around.  He stood there and stared into the most sparkling sapphires he had ever seen.  Her strawberry red hair styled into a curl at the end.

 "Hi." He said.  He extended his hand for her to take.

 "Here we go, " said Katy, "Any second now that mallet is gonna be out, you just wait and see."

Jessie looked into his eyes, and took his hand.

Her three friends stood wide-eyed, mouths open, starring at Jessie.

 "Well this is a first." Commented Katy

 "Hi," she replied, "My names Jessica."

 "I'm James."

She was a little stood back at the sound of his voice.  Deep, yet very melodious.

 "Sorry, I'm new here and I…don't really know where I'm supposed to be." He laughed nervously, twiddling the rose in his other hand

Jessie smiled at him,

 "Well what class are you in?"

 "Lower sixth."

 "Hey, me too.  Maybe I can show you around?"

 "Please." He replied

He then realised he was still holding her hand, and quickly took it away.  He blushed and looked away.

 "I don't believe this," Sarah said, " not one mallet, one paper fan, not even an insult."

Jessie narrowed her eyes at him.

WHACK!

 "Ha!" said Sarah, "I knew it was too good to be true."

 "Ooowwwww, ooo, what was that for?" he asked, holding his head in his hands where her mallet has hit him.

 "For being a dimwit, now do you wanna be shown around or not?" she asked sternly

 "Yeah."

 "Come on then."  She grabbed him by the shoulder and pulled him along behind her.

 'Oh great', James thought, 'Three years off this.'

------ 

Over the past year, Jessie and James had become good friends, at least in Jessie's eyes.  They spent every chance possible together, whether it was training their pokèmon, eating lunch, or even walking down the corridor.  They did everything together, even revising.

The late afternoon before the big, final exam had come, and Jessie was in James's room revising with him.

 "Okay," said James, "When the water type Krabby evolves, which of it's claws, left or right, grows the largest?"

 "Oh I can never remember this one." She sat there thinking about it, "I don't know, right?"

 "Nope, left."

Jessie growled under her breath, and then whacked James with her paper fan. "Why did you have to give me such a hard one?!?!?"

James rubbed his head, "That wasn't supposed to be a hard one."

Jessie's anger swept away, "Oh."  She sighed heavily, "Oh I really can't be bothered to do any more."

 "But Jessie the final exams tomorrow."

 "I know that!" she snapped.

James left her with her thoughts and went back to the revision book he was holding. The late afternoon sun filtered through the window, casting it's soft light on the pale colours of the room.  James's room was on the sixth floor, and just like everyone else's, was decorated the same.One bed in the middle, the headboard against the wall on the right.  A standing lamp in the corner by the window to the left of the bed, and a desk the other side.  Draws and a wardrobe on the left, and a small bathroom on the right when you come through the door.  However, un-like everyone else's room, James was an incredibly tidy person and everything was in its place.  A vase of red roses sat on his desk, gently swaying as the small draft from the window spread throughout the room. Jessie and James were sitting on his bed.  James was leaning against the headboard, while Jessie sat the other end looking out the window at the sky.  The only sound that could be heard now was the faint shouting of people training their pokèmon below, outside the window.

 "Hey I know!!!"

James nearly jumped out of his skin. He glared over at Jessie. "What?"

 "Let's scrap all this revision and go to Mark's party tonight!"

 "Mark?  I thought he was taking loads of people to go to that revision thing some guy is holding down in Saffron?"

 "Oh come on, he only said that in front of the teachers.  He's really holding a party for anyone who wants to come. Why don't we go?"

 "Weeeell, I don't know.  This our last chance at revising…"

 "…James, we've been revising for half the year!!  I think we'll remember everything by tomorrow."

James looked at her; she really did want to go.

 'Oh well, better do as she says if I'm gonna survive the next 2 years.' He thought dumbly.

 "I have a feeling I'm gonna have to go even if I don't want to right?"

 "Great, settled then!"

 "When does it start?"

 "Seven."

 "Well, we have 1 and half hours then.  We better start getting ready." James said jumping off the bed.

 "Yeah," said Jessie, just realising the time, "God, that's no where near enough time, I've got to do my hair, chose some clothes, makeup, oh god make up, I've got to be perfect."

Jessie carried on talking to herself as she walked out the door down the corridor.  James shut the door behind her.

 "I really can't stand her." He said to himself, "Giovanni was right, this is definitely a tough mission."

 ------ 

An hour later, James was waiting for Jessie near the gates of Pokemon tech by his Taxi he had sent for.  It would take them about ¾ hour to drive there, so they were already running late. James put his black jacket on, as it was getting cold out there.  He made sure his red rose was in the top pocket, just for show.

 This rose really makes me sick'he thought, I can't wait for this mission to be over, cause when I do, I'm gonna…

 "Hey James." 

James quickly pushed back his evil thoughts and turned to face Jessie.

His mouth dropped. 

Jessie was standing there in a short, red dress.  Her hair had been let down and was flowing down past her hips.  Her eyes sparkled as the moonlight shone down on her, making her look even more radiant then she already was.

James was transfixed, and took a deep breath, shuddering breath.

Remember James,he said to himself, this is just a mission, this involves no feelings, no matter how gorgeous she looks.

He winced mentally.

 "What are you looking at??" she demanded.

 "Nothing" James stood back against the Taxi in fear.

 "Good."  She walked around to the other side of the Taxi. "Well don't just stand there we're gonna be late."

James sighed and got in the Taxi with Jessie, as the driver sped away.

To be continued…….