Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Defiance ❯ Secrets Revealed. ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Four: Secrets Revealed.

The room was crowded, with many adults and teens, all laughing as they elbowed their way through the press, bowls and plates of food in either hand, struggling too reach a table. At the back of the large cafeteria, a small group was gathered around a table, with a tall, slender red haired teen at its centre. He was morosely poking at his food, a particularly thick t-bone steak. Seated beside him, a large, beefy man with pale blonde hair cut short and spiked, was eyeing it wistfully.

“C’mon boss, if you don’t eat that soon, I’ll die from dehydration,” He whined, the comment all the more comical from the bass rumble it was issued with. The few other people began too laugh; though the teen just sighed, and began too eat slowly. Seated across from him, a sharp-eyed man was furiously typing into a laptop, which was attached too a wall socket buy a thin cord. After a moment, his typing increased too an almost frenzied level, and the glow of victory lit up his face.

“Got it!” He cried, briefly gaining the attention of the tables around him, before they returned to their meals. Grinning broadly, he swivelled the laptop around, showing its contents too the members of his team. “And… here is your mission!” He crowded, pressing a key to bring the data onscreen. As one, the men of the table wolf whistled, laughing and slapping Lance on the back. “Hey man, wanna swap?” His second in command joked, a tall man with a shock of dark hair, and dancing blue eyes.

Lance gave him a blank look through crystalline blue eyes, before sighing slightly and looking at the screen. Beside him, the only female member of the team, Laselle, was attempting too lecture the other members of her team without success. “Jack asses!” She yelled, eliciting another round of laughter. Eyes locked on the screen, Lance absently reached out and began scrolling through the data, a slight smile tugging at the corners of his mouth.

Holding their breath, the half a dozen men, and single woman, watched as he viewed the scanty details they had been able too scare up on his ‘baby sitting job’ as it had been jokingly named. His subject wasn’t named, but a picture had been provided. It featured a stunning, long limbed teen, tussling with two small pokèmon, happiness clouding the scene. Her emerald eyes flashed in the sun, and her tawny gold hair spun around her like a silken web, and she was obviously unaware that the photo had been taken.

Lance drank in the beauty before him, and the man too his right, Guss, slapped him on the shoulder, causing the teen too sway forward dangerously for a moment. “So, the little boss is a real man aye?” He joked, referring to a well known rumour that had originated from Lance’s refusal too sleep or date with any of the women on the League base- not that a few hadn’t tried anyway. Several rumourmongers claimed that Lance had chased the offending women from his rooms with a Dragonite, and his teammates regarded that as highly likely.

A moody and sometimes mysterious man, Lance liked his privacy, and defended it fiercely. Guss waited for a moment, too see if his comment had caught an adverse reaction, but Lance merely smiled lopsidedly. “That I am Gus, but what I see is a woman,” He replied with relish, and laughter burst out around the table once more. Turning his crystalline gaze to the procurer of the information, he asked curiously, “Got any more?” Standing slightly behind him, Raize gave him a thoughtful look, absently raking a hand through his thick sable locks.

Whatever Lance really thought of the situation, he was keeping quiet about it- as he did with many things. The teen had been with the Pokèmon League practically from the start, was currently a member of the Johto Elite four, and was famous as the master of dragon pokèmon. Not much was known about him, except for the fact that any mission concerning team rocket, as so many where, were handled ruthlessly, and efficiently.

Shaking his head slightly, he returned his focus back too the conversation, catching its tail end. “… rest of it is locked.” There was a stunned silence for a moment, before Laselle whistled quietly. “Wow, this chick must be high priority if they’ve locked all info on her, got several agents tailing her, and have sent Lance out too baby-sit.” Her tone of voice might have been teasing, but the short statured woman’s body language was anything but. Glancing around for a moment, she leaned in too whisper her comment.

“It’s… only a rumour, but considering how strange and out of it is… I’m thinking it might just be pretty damn close too the truth.” Huddling in conspiratorially, Lance squished between Guss and Raize, as the dark haired woman outlined what she knew. “Apparently, team rocket is after her for several things- pokemon, gadgets and… something else. The first two I know are from relatives, though who they are I couldn’t say. But apparently, the last is something so secret, that only the Boss Man knows it, and it set him with his tail feathers on fire.”

Nodding her head sagely, she drew back. “ ‘Course, that’s just a rumour I heard from Gazette, who got it from Libby, who heard it from her seconds cousin’s in laws…” Groaning, Guss moved too shut her up. “Laselle darlin’, much as well all know how much ya’ love too gossip- we don’t need too know ya’ sources.” His slight accent becoming more pronounced, the big man gave her a grin and took his hand away from her mouth. Rolling her eyes expressively, she pulled a face. “Well, I’m for bed. Cya soon.” Bidding her team goodnight, she left the men too ponder her gossip.

The news seemed too trouble Kane, who had procured the data, and was the teams Info-technician. “Guys, there’s definitely more too this than it seems. Lance… I suggest that you find this chick as soon as possible- and keep your guard up the entire time.” The comment startled the red haired teen, drawing him from his reverie. “Uh, yeah, sure will…” he murmured off handily, muttering something about sleep. Sharing knowing grins, the rest of the team got up and headed for their own rooms.

Lance was on his own.

  //x-o-x\\

 

‘oowwiie…’ < p>In the privacy of her thoughts, Reana could whinge, bitch, and complain as much as she felt like. Scowling slightly, she walked over too a large, flat rock, kicking it moodily. She was in the centre of a large, grassy plain, with a wide river too her right, and a thick forest belt too her left. Mountains stood before her, and the sea pounded at her back. She was trapped.

Strangely enough, the thought didn’t trouble her. On an instinctive level, she was connected too her body, which she knew was safe and warm. However, that fact didn’t stop the pain her physical body was suffering from expressing itself vehemently.

Groaning softly, she dragged herself up onto the flat river rock, arms folded behind her head as she gazed up at the stars. Bright pinpricks of light in a thousand jewel like colours winked back at her, as the moon slowly ascended in all of its silvery glory, the faint whispers of cloud cover accentuating the beautiful late night scene.

Yawning quietly, she snuggled back against the rock, uttering a belly deep sigh. Unlike most dreams, this one was uncannily real, and it almost seemed as though her conscious mind had been transported here. She wasn’t complaining though.

Enjoying the sweet scent of the grasslands, and the briny tang of the ocean, she tilted her head back, letting the moons rays wash over her face and closed eye lids, soaking up the serenity of the night. Stretching like a cat, she could feel her aches and pains slowly fade too nothing, her body feeling re-energised.

Closing her eyes briefly, she was startled when a large shadow blocked the moon, blocking the gentle light from her face. Emerald eyes opened wide in surprise, she stared at the shadowy figure of a large, shapeless pokèmon, and the figure gracefully descending from its back.

Tawny gold strands fluttered in front of her, and with a faint sense of shock, Reana realised that her hair was loose. But the thought didn’t trouble her, and she idly ran her fingers through the silky length, head cocked too one side as she observed the stranger slowly striding towards her through the grass.

Dimly she was aware that she should have been panicking, but a blissful sense of calm acceptance drifted around her in swathes, and she eyed over what she could see of the man making his way too her.

He was taller than she was, and her head would fit neatly in the junction of his neck and shoulders, which where broad and strong. The close fitting, dark clothes that he wore accentuated his slender, muscular frame, though he wasn’t muscle bound, instead merely… toned. A chiselled jaw turned briefly backwards, and she admired his strong, clean profile, and the slender eyebrows, which had narrowed slightly, and the large, full mouth.

A cloak swished about him, drawing her attention too his slender hips, and long legs, clad in knee high boots. Feeling an intense gaze rake over her body, she knew that just as she had been observing him, he too had been observing her.

Dressed in nothing but a snug fitting singlet and silky boxer shorts, she was once more aware of an emotion that she should have felt, that she wasn’t. Shrugging it off, she gave him a slow smile, and pirouetted slightly, giving him a sideways look over her shoulder.

“You like?”

She queried, running her hands down her sides, before crossing them under her chest, shivering faintly at the cool air. A small smile playing across his lips, he sat down on the smooth river rock beside her, gently tugging her too his lap. Enfolding her in the circle of his arms, he gently nuzzled her neck, hands grasping her waist.

She could feel him smile against her skin, and she gave a theatrical shiver and giggled, snuggling closer against his warm, broad chest. Slowly, he began too trail kisses up her neck and across her jaw, peppering her face with butterfly kisses. Whimpering slightly, she wound her hands in to the thick, silky locks of his hair, guiding his mouth too her own.

Teasingly, he gently flicked his tongue against her lower lip, as though seeking admittance. Gladly, she opened her mouth, allowing him access, gently massaging his lips with her own, as he slid his tongue inside of her, tantalising and teasing her in a sensuous game of hide and seek.

Giggling, she drew back slightly, gasping for air. Her eyes searched deep into his own, but by a subtle trick of the moonlight, his face remained in shadow. Confusion warred with desire, as she strained too make out his features, dark whisperings of another time, another place, another kiss, plaguing her mind

As his body slowly began too morph into another shape, she gave a frightened cry and stumbled backwards, hand against her mouth, eyes wide with fright. Terror began too flood through her body, screaming for her too run. Unable too confront the evil shade standing in the place of her moonlit lover, she cried out with misery, and fled.

Her feet pounded the grass, her legs welted and scratched from the undergrowth. Tears welled up too obscure her already blurring vision, and with a sharp cry of surprise, she pitched forward, something wrapped securely around her ankle. Sniffling slightly, she gratefully let her mind slip from the nightmare, even as it dissolved too nothing around her.

And a deep, sadistic baritone laugh echoed and swirled through her thoughts as it did…

Once more, the tawny haired teen shot up in bed, her body in full panic mode, adrenaline pounding through her veins, her breath coming in quick, short breaths, her frantic heartbeat loud in her ears.

“NO!”

She screamed, her throat feeling raw and under-used. Almost immediately, she curled back up on the bed, whimpering in pain, as waves of fire coursed through her body. Gritting her teeth, she curled up even further, ignoring the sharp things poking her flesh. From somewhere in the room came the sound of hurried footsteps, and she was gently pried into a normal sleeping position.

Whimpering with fright, she valiantly battled the urge too curl up again, knowing the pain that it would cause. Her eyes squeezed shut tightly, she slowly began too relax under the soothing ministrations of the woman above her, and through barely cracked eyelids, she received a blurred image of red and white. For some inexplicable reason the colours soothed her, and with a belly deep sigh she gently lapsed back into unconsciousness, her terror draining away from her sleeping mind.

A low, rumbling growl, and a warm presence beside her greeted Reana as she slowly woke up, her senses returning too her one by one. Her sense of touch was the first, and she received various impressions of the rough, woollen weave of the blankets against her bare skin, and the billowing gown she wore beneath them, which let in many draughts. A warm wind blew gently across her face, and a rumbling vibration gently massaged the fading wounds across her stomach.

Both her hands where wound in silky fur, and as her sense of smell returned, she could detect a sharp, astringent odour, and two comforting scents- those of a feline, and a canine. Her mind puzzled over the possibilities for a moment, before lapsing back, regaining control of the next sense. Gentle chatter swirled around the room, and she could hear the bed squeak slightly under her weight as she moved. A soft purr resounded in her ears, punctuated intermittently by a low growl.

Moaning softly, she shifted her head on the pillow, her hair sliding like silk across her face, as she fought to open her eyes. She struggled for many minutes, as her senses returned too life, sending impressions too her brain. As she fought too see what these things where, flickering pictures appeared in her brain. For many minutes they where skewed, at a strange angle- it felt like she was stooping too see them- but they eventually levelled out. She was in a large, white-and-blue room, and a large, pink pokèmon bustled over too her, singing softly under its breath.

“Chansey, Chansey,” it murmured, and carefully squeezed a few drops of liquid onto the teens eyes. Scrunching up her eyelids, she gingerly moved her hands, brushing away the wetness. When she had done so, she found that she could open her eyes. Gingerly she did so, shutting them almost immediately as the faint light stabbed at them. After a few minutes of her eyes watering from the light, and the world around her descending into blurs, she finally saw where she was.

Situated in a small, curtained off portion, she was in what seemed too be a recovery room for pokèmon. Lying one to each side where her own pokèmon, who immediately licked and sniffed her everywhere, as if making sure that she was all right. Squirming, she batted them away, immediately asking after her belongings. Loki, her silver dappled Absol, immediately leapt from the bed, Aries soon following after, his creamy white tail wagging with eagerness.

Within minutes the two pokèmon had returned with her dark blue backpack, and Reana was relieved too see her pokèmon’s pokèballs on the small table beside her hospital bed. Swinging her legs over its edge, she hopped down too the floor, clutching the loose green gown around her, and grasping her backpack. Slowly making her way too the doorway of the room, she was aware of the curious glances she was receiving from the few trainers who where visiting their pokèmon.

Blushing slightly, she hurried from the room, and made her way too the female toilets. Once she was there, she pulled some of her clothes out of it, talking too her pokèmon as she got dressed, silently marvelling at how she felt as good as new.

“So guys, reckon we should leave soon?” Her pokèmon responded eagerly, chasing each other around her feet. Laughing at their antics, the teen strapped her pokègear too her wrist, slung her pokènav around her neck, and placed her pokèdex into a pocket. For a moment, she stood there, puzzling over what she had forgotten. Grasping her shirt absently, she strained too remember what it was. Catching sight of Aries, her fiery chestnut Growlithe, sparked the memory.

“My pendant!” She murmured, bending down too search through her bag. Within moments she had found it, marvelling at intricate detail. The pendant was a flat silver disk, suspended from a delicate silver chain. A ring of smooth, polished sapphires adorned the edges, and the body of the serpent dragon, Dragonair, glimmered in its centre, a faceted amethyst gem sparking in its eye socket. Shaking her head, Reana quickly put the pendant on, letting it rest against her skin. Pulling her backpack on, with Aries’s and Loki’s pokèballs at her belt, she strode out of the doorway.

For a moment, she stood there, paralysed, as the memory of why she had been in hospital surged up from her memory. Shivering, she slid down the frame, her pokèmon pawing at her anxiously. ‘Those… those boys attacked me because I’m a girl!’ Her mind screamed with anguish, and a large, pearly tear slowly rolled down her cheek. Her mind began too run in circles of self-doubt, and she slowly realised that as a female trainer, she would never ever succeed. A wet nose poking her in the cheek stirred her from her misery, and she blinked suddenly, eyes red and tear stained. Shakily getting too her feet, she tottered back into the bathroom, observing herself in the mirror.

In her minds eye, the memories replayed over and over again, from the thrill of combat, too the shocking pain of being hit, and the eerie glow that had surrounded her pokèmon as the rescued her. Biting her lip, Reana went through the scenario once more, thinking bitterly, ‘This would have never happened too a boy…’. And then it occurred too her. Why not become a boy? The thought shocked her slightly- she’d have too dress as a boy, pretended too be a boy- and anything she accomplished wouldn’t really be hers. It’d be someone else’s…

But the tawny haired teens stomach roiled as she once more recalled the nasty looks and comments she had received throughout her journey already, and her heart sank as imagined years more of the same. Tears welling up in her eyes, she asked herself once more; ‘Why can’t the simply accept me for what I am?’. But she knew it would never happen. She gazed at her reflection for a long time, ignoring the panicked whines of her pokèmon.

She would do it. Reana would turn herself into a boy.

  //x-o-x\\

 

“Thanks Nurse Joy!” A young boy waved at the Violet City nurse, two pokèmon waiting patiently by his side. Short cut tawny gold hair blew in his face, momentarily obscuring his brilliant green eyes. Rather tall for his age, the thirteen year old already had his first gym badge, and the nurse was sure that he would receive many more. Waving back, she bid him goodbye, before turning back too her patients.

“C’mon you two, we’ve got a while to go till Azalea town!” The pokèmon at his heels, one dappled silver, the other a fiery chestnut, made happy noises of encouragement, promptly scrambling ahead of the young boy as they walked through the streets of the small city. Along the way many people called him over, congratulating him on having such well-trained and healthy pokèmon. When told this, a spark of pain flared in his eyes, and he thanked the people and hurried on.

His gait seemed strangely flowing, and his hands slightly too slender… But such small details where easily ignored, the people of Violet City instead focused on his open, easy going nature, and the happy pokèmon cavorting about him. At the edge of town, as he headed up route 32, an old man remarked as he departed from hearing, “That young boys sure to go far.” Muttering quietly too himself, the man nodded sagely, before shuffling into a house.

For a moment, the young boy stood on the edge of the forest, a pained expression crossing his finely boned features. Shaking it away with a grim smile, he strode up the white gravel path, as it wound between the trees. He needed too get some serious training in for his pokèmon, and hopefully the trainers along the way to Azalea town would be happy to oblige. His mouth curling into a slight smile, he set off into the forest, his pokèmon hurrying after him.

  //x-o-x\\

 

“Sir, do you think that the subject might be aware of our surveillance?” An aide queried anxiously, bringing up the latest shots on screen. Standing in the centre of the busy Intelligence room, a tall man with a shock of pale blonde hair watched the screen intently, as data was scrolled on screen. After a moment, he shook his head.

“No, the subject is not aware of our surveillance- in fact, quite the opposite.” He paused too chuckle briefly, absently signing a form that one of his secretaries hesitantly brought forward. “I think that you will find that the subject is merely reacting too the hostile reactions of her gender, and has reacted accordingly.” The aide nodded hesitantly, before flashing a map on screen.

“The Rattata cadets have been sent out sir, and plan too ambush her here.” A small off shoot of route 32 was marked off; just before the entrance too the Union Cave. The blonde man nodded in affirmation. “Very well. Have them report too me when they return.” The aide nodded, tapping out a few keys on the computer.

The general turned on his heel, striding from the room, a frown upon his face. ‘And just what in the name of Suicene is so important about one teenager?’ A scowl forming on his face, he made his way too his quarters. ‘If only Giovanni was here…’

  //x-o-x\\

 

“You jackasses, give me back my stuff!” The teenager howled, a loose t-shirt swirling about his form, his lower legs clad in baggy jeans. Two pokèmon stood bristling buy his side- an adolescent Growlithe, its fiery chestnut fur bristling, as a warning growl rumbled in its throat. The other was snarling, silver dappled fur standing on end, the sickle on its forehead gleaming dangerously. A rare pokèmon from Hoen, Absol was known for predicting- and speculated for causing- natural disasters.

At a gesture from the teenager, the two pokèmon stalked forward, gazes locked on the two Team Rocket grunts before them. Dressed in deep purple, their hair covered by matching hats, the two shared uneasy looks, before throwing out pokèballs. “Only if you win a battle!” The tallest shouted, his voice rough and scratchy. Baring his teeth in a nasty smile, the teen gave them a mock salute. “Of course, Sergeant Jackass,” He spat, eyeing over his opponents pokèmon.

A large, tan coloured rat stood on its hind legs, tail lashing and its teeth gleaming dangerously. Beside it, a large insect pokèmon with stingers on both arms and its abdomen, streaked with black and yellow, buzzed warningly. Shooting them a contemptuous look through dark green eyes, the teen called out, “Aries, attack the Beedrill, elemental attacks and evasive manoeuvres one through five! Loki, attack the Raticate, offensive manoeuvres four, six and eight!”

The two cadets of the criminal organization shared baffled looks, before shrugging and ordering their pokèmon too attack. “Raticate, use bite!” The one on the right shouted, his chunky build contrasting with tall, gangly frame of his companion. “Beedrill, twin needle!” The other shouted, and both pokèmon surged too attack. Immediately, a cold, calculating mask slipped into place over the teens features, and he stood tall, radiating arrogance. This seemed too agitate the rockets, as they shouted for their pokèmon too attack once more.

The sound of its high pitched buzzing filling the clearing, the large bug pokèmon lunged for Aries, its needles stabbing downwards. A lazy smirk upon his face, the Growlithe let his opponent wear itself out with futile attacks. After a moment, his tail shimmered, taking on a liquid steel appearance. Leaping into the air, he smashed it down hard against the beedrill's abdomen, forcing it too the ground. A moment later and the weighty fire puppy was sitting on its chest, fire boiling in his jaws. The bee pokèmon had time too issue a high pitched, screeching cry, before the Growlithe let the fire loose.

Cursing, the rocket returned his pokèmon, just as the flames singed it. Across the clearing, the silver dappled Absol was smoothly dodging the furious attempts of the large rat too scratch and bite it, occasionally using his sickle blade too deflect attacks. After a moment, a hole in its defences opened up. Taking the opportunity, he attacked. The faint breeze that had been swirling around the clearing suddenly built up, screaming and howling, faint discs of energy glimmering amongst its swirling air currents.

With a fierce cry, Loki directed it at the Raticate, who screamed in pain as thin cuts leaked blood over its fur, the mini tornado spending its fury. Shaking, the chubby rocket returned his pokèmon. “You fucking brat, we’ll get you for this!” he swore, disappearing into the bushes after his companion, the teens backpack sailing out minutes later. Sharing smug grins of victory with his pokèmon, the teen rifled through his backpack. “Good, everything’s here.” Slipping from battle mode, the teens voice was unusually high for a male, and he moved with a strange, sensuous grace.

Far from civilization, the teen could act more like he truly was- female. Smiling at her pokèmon, Reana noted that while they put up a brave front, both where quite tired. Her guise as being a male trainer had worked remarkably well- she had battled almost everyday from the first day out of Violet city, and as a result, her pokèmon where a lot stronger. As she compared her short journey as a female trainer, she realised just how big the gap between them was. It made her angry, but there was nothing she could do- yet. When she became a Pokèmon master, she’d show them all what girls where made of- if they didn’t accuse her of winning under false pretences.

Eyeing her pokèmon over critically, she gave them a smile. “Would you mind getting in your pokèballs? I want too stay the night at that small Pokècentre, and it’d be easier for the nurse too treat you.” Giving her grateful looks, they waited patiently as the large balls converted them too red light, and sucked them inside. Giving the balls fond smiles, she got too her feet. Hoisting her pack, she slipped her shoulders through the straps, and carefully specially designed buckles that held it close against her body as she ran. After checking them all, she spent a few careful minutes limbering up, doing basic stretches.

When she was done, she set off at a slow jog, slowly increasing her pace until she was all but flying along the dusky, white gravel path, stained by long fingers of shadow as the sun set behind the trees. Grinning too herself, she increased her speed as the light slowly fled from the land, replaced by bright pinpricks of light, and a large crescent moon. As she saw the lights of the Pokècentre in the distance, she regretfully slowed her pace, but kept too a jog, all too aware of the bushes and darkness on either side of her.

When she finally reached the small, rural Pokècentre, she breathed a sigh of relief, pausing beside the doorway too school her expression. Carefully, a mask overtook her happy expression, changing to the carefree expression of a young teen. It took very little time too put the mask in place now, and Reana let her body slouch as she walked into the room. “Hi, would you mind seeing too my pokèmon?” The nurse on duty nodded pleasantly, accepting the pale blue and yellow pokèballs. As she put them in the special rejuvenation machine, Reana sourced out a room for the night.

With the amount of battling she had done her money had grown substantially, but too her luck, the rent for a nights rest at a Pokècentre was generally low. “150 yen,” She was informed, and the teen handed the money over, receiving her pokèballs in return. As the nurse got the appropriate room card, she asked, “Ahh, and what is your name?” Thinking quickly, an image of a large tree with red berries popped into her mind. “Rowan Winterberry,” She replied, giving the nurse a hesitant smile.

Returning it, the nurse bid her a goodnight, after pointing in the direction of the rooms. Nodding, Reana set off, checking the pass card number, and searching up and down the hallway. “Number six…” She mumbled, finally finding it at the end of the hallway. Rolling her eyes, she swiped the card through the security slot, and stepped inside. The room was the same as all others, though a tad larger. Shrugging, the teen dumped her bag on the bed, pulling her pyjamas out.

Shifting the bag to the small table near the bathroom door, she placed her ‘gear, ‘dex, and ‘nav on it, releasing her pokèmon. Placing the balls down as well, she called out, “I’m having a shower.” A slightly devious look on his face, Loki quietly trotted after her, Aries shaking his head and pawing his nose, seeming exasperated. A sly look crossing his features, Loki utilised his stealth as a dark pokèmon, blending with the walls and hiding in the corner as Reana slowly stripped off, allowing the water too heat. Pulling a face at the mirror, she carefully unwound the thick bandage that flattened her breasts, and the bra beneath it.

When she was done, she put her short, shoulder length hair up in clips, too keep it out of her face. Giving her reflection a wry look, she contemplated taking her necklace off, but decided not too. Blowing herself a kiss and giggling, she pulled aside the shower curtain, and stepped over the ankle height ledge, yelping slightly at the heat of the water. After fiddling with the taps for a few minutes, she stood under the water, letting it soothe her tired muscles, briefly closing her eyes. Seizing his chance, Loki quickly dashed across the room, slipping past the shower curtain.

Gazing up at the naked form of his trainer, he grinned slightly, obviously confident of his abilities. Meowing softly, he butted his head against her leg, startling her. Holding a hand too her chest, she laughed, and bent down too pick him up. “Silly Loki, you scared me!” She scolded, cuddling him. The Absol was getting quite large now, and could no longer ride on Reana’s shoulder, though he did enjoy the cuddles she gave him- particularly when she was wet. Grinning, the silver dappled pokèmon nuzzled her neck slightly, and made a soft sound of happiness, purring slightly.

Setting him down, she held her hand out beneath the pump bottle in the shower, gathering a handful of body wash. After lathering it between her hands, the teen carefully washed her entire body, wrinkling her nose at the road dust and grime. Loki watched, violet eyes wide, a tendril of drool hanging from his mouth. After carefully washing herself off, and Loki having a small fit, in which he clawed his nose painfully, she bent down near him, her hands soapy.

“Bath time,” She teased him, never having known a feline that was so fond of water. Purring, Loki wriggled his way over too her, gazing up at first her breasts, and then her face, giving her a wide grin. After gently cleaning the Absol’s fur, she shooed him from the shower, so she could enjoy the hot water. Rolling around on the thick cloth doormat, Loki quickly dried his fur, briefly applying his tongue where needed. A satisfied look on his face, he trotted back into the bedroom, smirking at Aries. The Growlithe gave him a look, which clearly read, ‘pervert’.

Tossing his head arrogantly, the Absol snorted and leapt up onto the bed, curling up in a neat ball. Aries gave him a sideways look, before sighing, and rolling onto his back, wriggling tummy up on the blankets. With a satisfied sigh, he rolled onto his side, tail twitching slightly. He eyed the bathroom door for a moment, before shaking his head ruefully. The sound of pounding water stopped, and his sensitive ears caught the sound of Reana dressing herself.

When she opened the bathroom door, a cloud of steam billowed out behind her, and she sheepishly rubbed her head. “Oops,” She mumbled, before yawning. They had battled several times that day, put in an hour of training, and had then been challenged by a pair of stupid Team Rocket grunts. Her eyelids feeling impossibly heavy, Reana locked the bedroom door, and crawled beneath the covers of the bed, Loki and Aries curling up beside and on top of her.

Snuggling against them, she gratefully closed her eyes, letting sleep claim her.

  //x-o-x\\

 

“Fucking bastards!” Reana swore, casting her emerald gaze briefly on the passage behind her. Early that morning, she and her pokèmon had set off for the Union Cave, the only passage too Azalea town. When she had been on her way down too New Bark, her pokègear had shown her a shortcut, but she was too far too the southwest too utilise it- plus, the route ran straight through the ruins of Alph. Pushing the thoughts from her mind, the teen concentrated on running, following the moon shadow shine of her Absol’s coat, and the bright red of her Growlithe’s.

They had entered the cave with a large torch and a map, and had been assured buy the locals that the route was fairly straight, and shouldn’t take anymore than an hour of walking. However, a few minutes into her journey and she had been attacked buy Team Rocket. Narrowly escaping, she had dived down a side passage, and was now trying too out run them.

Her breath echoed harshly off of the rough rock walls, and a tiny tendril of fear snaked its way into her stomach, as she saw them beginning too glimmer with slime. Grabbing a pokèball from her belt, she hurriedly pointed it at her Absol. “Return!” She whispered, activating it. In a flash of red light, her pokèmon disappeared. Murmuring her apologies, she stuck it down her shirt to keep it safe. Ahead of her, Aries paused, his tail wagging as he disappeared behind a rock formation. Her breath whistling in and out of her lungs, she scrambled around the rocks, wincing as they scraped her legs.

Shutting her eyes briefly, she wriggled her way around the maze of fallen boulders and hap hazardously placed rock. She had lost her torch long ago, and her way was lit intermittently by natural light coming in through chimneys, and fungi. The lanterns that had marked the path where far behind her now. Fighting too control her racing heart, Reana forced herself too slow her breathing, as she carefully inched along behind Aries, who was crawling along a tunnel, having picked up a scent. Placing her trust in her pokèmon, she followed him blindly, moving slowly in order too avoid injuring herself.

After several minutes they emerged from the small tunnel through another rockslide, and out into a large chamber, which had several off shoots. The teen shivered, seeing the thick bat guano decorating the floor, and the faint shine of the slime covered rocks. Unerringly, Aries chose the passage that was the wettest and the slipperiest, and biting her lip, the teen carefully made her way after him. Stepping carefully, one hand lightly touching the wall, she shivered with fear every time she heard the rockets voices echoing behind her.

Several years back their leader had been arrested, but in the past six months they had surged with activity, quickly surpassing their previous exploits, and earning a cruel, ruthless name. There was no way she was going too let herself be captured! Gritting her teeth, Reana paused for a moment. “Aries!” She called out hoarsely, keeping her voice low; her eyes darting around in the thick darkness, vainly trying too see her pokèmon.

A moment later and a wet nose nudge her thigh, and she gratefully grasped the thick fur at his ruff. “Alright, let’s go.” She urged him, cautiously stepping forward. Stooped slightly too maintain her grip, the teen and her pokèmon continued down the passageway, and she began too think that she had escaped. However, just as the tunnel ahead of her began too lighten up, she heard a high-pitched yapping behind her. Terrified, she lurched into a run, Aries running freely beside her, a low growl building in his throat.

Eyes wide, she careened from the tunnel, landing with a splash in ankle deep water. Blowing the hair from her eyes, she looked around wildly, and frantically tried too get too her feet. Standing at the waters edge, Aries paced worriedly, his fur still bristled, making him appear much larger than he was. Getting too her feet, she made her way over too him, her sneakers squishing with every step. Seeing the light of torches from the wide tunnel, she gave Aries a panicked look. “Return!” Once more the beam of light shot out, and the Growlithe whined, giving her a slightly worried look as he disappeared into the pokèball. Stuffing it down her shirt with Loki’s, she scrambled up the slight incline of the shore, stumbling slightly on the loose sand.

Sobbing with fear, she fell to her knees, and pushed herself back up, hearing a loud baying behind her. Her feet where chilled from the water, and sand clung too her body as she fled along the beach, a stony wall too her left, and an impassable stretch of water too her right. As she ran, a shout echoed behind her, picked up and carried easily by the underground lake. “We’ve got her!” Cries of victory began too issue from the ground that she had travelled, and she forced her tired limbs too go faster.

Chancing a glance at the water, she was shocked too see that it now rapidly descended off of a large shelf, no more than a few metres from the shore. Her heart thudded in her ears, and her breath came in short, harsh pants, her lungs afire and her vision blurring. Weaving drunkenly over the sand, she roughly dried her tears on one sleeve, as the roar in her ears increased. For a moment, she panicked, thinking that her pursuers had reached her- and then she was drenched. Standing at the waters edge, dripping wet, she could only stare in shock, as a mighty serpent dragon rose from the water before her.

Crimson gold scales glimmered in the faint light, and burning amber gold eyes regarded her intensely, fangs longer than her arm clicking shut softly. For a moment, Reana locked gazes with the mighty Gyarados, her terror bubbling too the surface once more. Frantic, she glanced behind her, and her heart sank as she saw the bobbing lights of torches… and the sleek, dark shapes running before them. She cast a panicked look at the Gyarados, searching its eyes for a moment. It stared back impassively, and without thinking of the consequences, she forced herself into the water.

Splashing through the cold, briny liquid, she ran as best she could, before diving under. The icy chill jerked her from the brain numbing fog of exhaustion, and she burst from the water, lungs screaming for air. Treading water for a moment, she saw that she was slightly beyond the Gyarados. Summoning the last reserves of her strength, she stroked towards it, her vision beginning too blur and swirl. As her arms weakly passed through the water, she was aware of a large force building below her.

Suddenly, she was out of the water, safely ensconced in a loop of red-gold coils. Blinking, she wearily patted the Gyarados in thanks, her head dropping forward slightly. The knowledge that the rockets still pursued her haunted her mind, but she was far too exhausted too even string two words together, and so, relaxing in the Gyarados’s embrace, not questioning the strange undulating motion, her eyes closed as she fell into the darkness, and knew no more.

  //x-o-x\\

 

“That’s good, now try it again.” Standing at the edge of a vast, underground lake, Lance, the Dragon master patiently explained what he wanted his pokèmon too do. He had rescued the crimson Gyarados from Team Rocket, who had forced it too prematurely evolve. It had taken him many months too train the ferocious serpent, but they had finally reached an understanding. And now, it faithfully obeyed each and every order he gave it, the result of years of companionship.

As his pokèmon destroyed a large boulder, he thought back too the day he had first seen it- that was the day that he had met Ash Ketchum, and his friends. Working undercover in Team Rocket, in an attempt too discover their latest scheme, Ash and his friends had quickly become involved. After a ferocious battle with Team Rocket, they managed too rescue the many captured pokèmon- and teenagers, as Ash and his friends had been captured- and chase the villains off.

However, enraged buy the shocking treatment it had been subjected too, the Gyarados had become blinded buy rage, attacking anything that moved. After exhausting it, Lance captured the pokèmon, bid Ash good luck on his journey, and returned too the Pokèmon League Headquarters.

Many years had passed since then, and Lance had found an increasing need to be alone, away from people. As a result of this self-alienation, he had taken too training his pokèmon in remote locations where the constant, aching pain at the back of his mind subsided in the beauty of nature. In the dim light, the depthless underground lake had a mysterious beauty, as stalactites slowly grew down from the ceiling, the pitiful light reflecting off of them in scintillating colours. The soft rainbows played over the crimson, gold washed scales of his large, intimidating serpent pokèmon, as it practiced a manoeuvre the young man had set it too learn.

Dressed casually, he simply wore a short-sleeved black muscle shirt, and baggy black pants. A small cave system lay at his back, which connected too the larger Union Cave. The small hideaway was comfortably prepared, with the rocks carved into somewhat comfortable shapes, and food and blankets stored in safe places. One of many hideaways he had secreted across the length and breadth of Gaia, Lance checked them every few months or so, keeping them in good repair.

A small fire burned merrily on the beach, illuminating the small pile of gear set beside it, and the pot bubbling over it. Lance had just turned too check it, when he heard a loud, victorious cry- “We’ve got her!” Perplexed, he motioned for Gyarados too come closer, as he fingered the many pokèball’s at his belt. After a moments thought, in which he realised a large group of people where heading his way, the teen made his choice. Swiftly maximising the dark blue ball, he cast it before him, briefly illuminating the cave with a flash of white light.

This, however, caught the groups attention, and they hurried over too him. Mounting dread built up inside of him, as he recognised who they where. Team Rocket. Cursing, he estimated how many there where- around 20. ‘How could they have found me?’ He thought, but a soft trill of concern caught his attention. Sitting before him on the loose sand of the beach, was a small purple pokèmon. Its long, delicate ears flicked back and forth, its forked tail wrapped around it. Crystalline blue eyes much like his own stared back at him, radiating peace.

Calm yourself. The evil ones do not seek you.

Relieved, Lance relaxed slightly, running a hand through his thick crimson locks. “Alright Espeon-“ he began, but was cut off buy a large splash. His gaze sweeping the lake, he saw a panicked young teen frantically swimming for his Gyarados. A warning bloomed and died in his throat, as he saw how tenderly the mighty serpent coiled itself around him, hissing with rage as the dark clad figures neared it, the dark, lissom chapes of Houndour running before them. The dark firedogs paused at the lakes shore, barking furiously.

The Rockets clustered around them, looking out at the Gyarados. Lance eyed them over, and noted how they where all focused on one thing- the teen his Gyarados was protecting. After conferring for a while, the group sent out a few pokèmon. The teen narrowed his eyes, as he realised that they where going too attack his Gyarados! “Espeon, Confusion!” He shouted, drawing their attention. The lilac feline pokèmon before him began too glow, a shimmering rainbow aura surrounding it. Its eyes narrowing sharply, it let out a fierce yowl, as a spear of rainbow light shot out towards the Rockets.

Before they had a chance too respond, both pokèmon and humans where lifted into the air, and sent back down the tunnels they had come from. Lance looked at his pokèmon with surprise, as for once, Espeon had gotten too her feet when executing the attack. The midnight blue gem set in her forehead was sparking dangerously, and her fur was bristled, as she hissed and spat angrily. The teen regarded his pokèmon with some shock, rarely having seen her this angry. The psychic pokèmon watched the tunnels for some time, before a dull, rumbling crash reached his ears.

‘Did… Espeon just block the tunnel entrance off?’ He asked himself, shocked speechless. Evidently the action had calmed his pokèmon somewhat, as she delicately licked a paw clean, before turning too face his Gyarados, who had slowly swum too shore. With a low growl, it beached itself near too the Espeon, gently setting the young teen down on the sand. Seeing the teens pale face and drenched clothes, the dragon trainer moved too help, only too find a large, red-gold, armoured tail blocking his way.

“Gyarados?” He questioned, surprise evident in both his tone and body language. Never had he seen his pokèmon acting so strangely… The lilac psychic pokèmon glanced at him for a moment, as she patiently groomed herself. Getting too her feet, she stretched luxuriously, and trotted over too the large serpent. Pausing momentarily, she turned back too look at him.

We shall take care of his.

She informed him, and a moment later, Lance felt the sickening jolt of psychic power, as his gear was picked up and transported into the small cave, his body following soon after. “Espeon!” The teen shouted angrily, unease brewing in his stomach. ‘It’s got something too do with that teenager, I’m sure of it!’ he thought, straining against the faint blue aura gripping him gently.

You do not understand. We must care for this human.

Her voice filled with gentle rebuke, the Espeon promptly constructed a barrier over the cave, preventing him from leaving. Seething, Lance stormed around the cave, roughly packing everything up inside. Several minutes later, the fire belatedly started itself in the natural chimney formation, and the crimson haired teen let out a barley audible growl, through clenched teeth. Taking a deep breath too calm himself, he sat down on his sleeping bag.

‘They had better have a good reason for this…’

  //x-o-x\\

 

‘Wh ere am I?’ the thought echoed around her mind, and for a brief moment, she was ensconced in blissful, peaceful, darkness, simply suspended for all of time… But the aching demands of her body jolted her back too life, and she painfully drew in a breath, all too aware of the strain she had submitted it too. At first a trickle, the memories slowly crept into her mind- and then they became a roaring flood. A sharp cry of pain escaped her lips, and she huddled into a ball, clutching silky fur for comfort.

‘Fur?’ Confused, she gingerly opened her eyes, sitting bolt upright, half-expecting too be surrounded by Team Rocket. But… that wouldn’t have happened. Wracking her memories, the last thing that she could remember was seeking refuge with a strange, red-gold Gyarados. Beyond that, her mind drew a mental blank. Yawning, she absently pulled the blanket up around her body, when a canine yawn too her left drew her attention. Flopped across her legs, Aries wriggled on his back, feet pawing the air as he twitched and muttered in the grip of a dream.

Beside her, Loki purred softly, kneading his claws into her leg. Scratching him behind the ears, she carefully lifted him away from her thighs, which bore several new welts. A wave of hunger promptly assuaged her, and she moaned softly, gripping her stomach. As soon as she did so, a plate of food hovered before her, ensconced in a midnight blue aura. Without thinking, she grasped it. “Thank you,” She mumbled, immediately attacking her food.

When she paused for a breath, she found a lilac, blue-eyed Espeon staring at her, its forked tail wrapped around its body. Finally pausing too take in her surroundings, Reana realised that she was on the very beach that she had run trying too escape from Team Rocket, and that she was sitting beside a fire. A deep blue barrier hummed quietly in front of a small cave, and she glanced at it briefly, before searching for her backpack.

There was a quiet rustle, and a large, gold veined tail fin pushed it into the firelight. “Thanks!” She chirped, her next comment slowly dieing in her throat. Before her, curled up on the sand, was one of the largest, most unusual Gyarados’s that she had ever seen. Stretching too well over 30 feet, its was a deep, shimmering red-gold, the white ornaments and spikes of its scaly armour contrasting sharply. Fangs as long as her arms glimmered briefly in its mouth, before she was caught in a hypnotic pool of amber-gold.

Lost in the swirling, depthless pools that were its eyes, she sat, transfixed, before it swung its head away with a low bass rumble.

You are not what you seem.

The voice, most definitely female, resounded through her mind, and Reana looked around wildly, trying to figure out where it had come from.

Why do you hide behind a mask that is not your own?

The voice questioned, subtly reminding Reana of the sound of a small creek burbling over stones. Her thoughts halted, as she considered the questions, as well as that of why she was here, and where her stuff was.

“It’s…. hard, being what I truly am. Being someone else means that I can become a better trainer; instead of being ignored and shunned, they notice me and pay attention. There in lies the need for a mask,” She replied, bitterness colouring her tone as she played with the pendant at her throat.

There was silence for a brief moment, before the pale, crystalline blue eyes of the Espeon caught and held her gaze.

That it might be, but too be true to yourself takes the greatest courage, and the only reward is through striving through obstacles, not skipping around them.

Stung, Reana recoiled as if hit. “Well, how can I ‘over come obstacles’ if no one will battle me? You don’t know what it was like- people would barely even look at me when I faced the world as I truly am. And I am not hiding!” She retorted, her pride stung. Impulsively, she got too her feet, immediately swaying with weariness, her muscles turned too water. As she began too fall, a red-gold armoured tail moved out too support her. Nodding her thanks, Reana let herself collapse back onto her bed.

“I’m not hiding.” She replied defiantly, but the Espeon was silent. Shaking her head, Reana sighed, rolling back into her blankets. A half finished bowl of food lay beside her, and Loki moved in on it eagerly. Muffling a yawn, the teen cuddled up into her blankets, her Growlithe eagerly curling up with her. Shoving the doubts whirling in her mind away, the teen let herself fall back into the blissful realms of sleep, briefly aware of a fiant flicker of midnight blue, before the darkness descended upon her.

  //x-o-x\\

 

“No way- I can do this myself.”

It had only taken around a day or so for Reana too heal, and she had promptly thanked the pokèmon, timidly called out a thanks too their trainer- who hadn’t replied- and made her way from the caves. Once outside she had found that it was early evening, and so she camped down in the woods outside the cave, trading watches with her pokèmon. When she had woken up, a strange, red-haired teen had been sitting calmly at her campfire, and Aries was whining pitifully, from where he was strung up a tree.

Immediately, Reana had cut him down, and began yelling furiously at the trainer, who had patiently listened, before pointing out that Team Rocket wouldn’t have let her off so easily. Suspicious, she had moved too leave immediately, but as he had asked politely too talk, she had eaten her breakfast with him, careful too keep her ‘mask’ on, unsure of what too do. The other teen had revealed that he was ‘sent too protect her’ by benefactors unknown, and would be accompanying her for the rest of her journey.

“C’mon Rowan, why refuse such a generous offer of help?” Blue eyes twinkling, Logan regarded her as though he was keeping some secret, which was the source of his amusement. The teen growled, stomping her foot. “No! Listen too me right now arsehole- you are not coming into the gym with me! I earnt one badge without help, and I can earn another seven just as well!” Her emerald eyes snapping with rage, Reana stabbed him in the chest with a finger, her pokèmon issuing growls behind her. “Back off.” She snarled, before whirling and entering the gym, the automated doors whooshing shut behind him.

Rolling his eyes, the crimson haired teen walked over and sank onto a park bench, mumbling obscenities under his breath. The small lilac pokèmon beside him opened one eye, before smacking him up the side of the head with her tail, the midnight blue gem on her forehead twinkling slightly in the warm sunlight. Sighing, the older teen briefly petted the psychic pokèmon. “Rowan sure is stubborn, isn’t he Espeon.” The psychic pokèmon regarded him for a moment, before replying in her usual cryptic fashion;

He who hides behind the mask hides more than all she seems.

Baffled, Logan could only shake his head slowly, the silver earring in his left ear shimmering with reflected light. “I think you’re becoming senile,” He joked, all the while his crystalline blue eyes scanned the area for any threat, real or imagined. The Espeon snorted, before activating her pokèball, serving him with a scornful look.

Fly blown Grimer get, boorish bastard of an Ursaring!

The teen merely laughed at the psychic pokèmon’s curse, affectionately caressing the ball. “If you say so,” He murmured, before getting too his feet, baggy black pants rustling with the movement. A rust brown shirt decorating his upper body, he moved to enter the gym, fully ware of the appreciative glances he was receiving from the many women in the Azalea town square. Snorting softly, he walked over too the reception desk, leaning on it casually.

“Say, is there a battle going on right now? Good, might it be possible to be a spectator? Ah, thankyou.”

Flipping the female receptionist a charming smile, he waltzed off in the direction of the gym, leaving yet another woman swooning in his wake.

  //x-o-x\\

 

“Aries, use Ember!” With a quick bark the puppy pokèmon rushed into action, flames boiling in his jaws as he leapt for his opponent. The pod pokèmon before him squealed shrilly, and attempted too leap away, but the fire puppy was too fast and heavy. Minutes later and the Kakuna was being returned too its pokèball. The tall, gangly gym leader shrugged, fingering the last pokèball at his belt. A faint breeze stirred his neon green hair for a moment, and his hazel eyes gleamed momentarily. “Go, Scyther!” He shouted, releasing his final pokèmon.

Rowan pointed the pokèdex at the tall, olive green mantis pokèmon, noticing the healthy gleam of its chiton, and the sharpened points of the scythes it had in place of hands or paws. Its red eyes narrowed, taking in the slight, tawny haired teenager, and the silver dappled Absol, and fiery chestnut Growlithe smirking at him. “Scy, scyther!” it cried, its voice slightly high pitched.

Scyther, the mantis pokèmon. This particular pokèmon is at level 16.

His emerald eyes glinting with enthusiasm, the familiar, cold mask dropped from the teen’s mask, leaving him glowing with enthusiasm. The teen paused for a moment, considering his options. Around him, the verdant jungle had paused, as its many bug-type occupants watched silently from hidden perches amongst the greenhouse jungle-like growth. Finally, his eyes flashed open, and his arms crossed across his chest. “Okay Loki, you’re up!”

He called out. The gym leader frowned momentarily, noting the slight, higher than normal pitch of his voice, but shrugged it off. “Okay Scyther, Fury Swords combination!” The green mantis pokèmon nodded firmly, setting its sights on the silver dappled Absol before. A slight breeze tugged at Loki’s fur, and his sickle gleamed dangerously in the early morning sunshine, the matching, spiky lock of hair on the opposite side of his face waving gently. His jagged black tail lashed the air, and sharp silver claws shone briefly from his sable paws.

Grinning slightly, the feline pokèmon showed off his sharp teeth, violet eyes narrowed predatorily as it watched the mantis pokèmon power up with a whirling, whirlwind like attack, which raised its offensive power levels. “Use Taunt, and help the wind along!” Rowan commanded, falling into the baffling, subtle language he had trained his pokèmon extensively in. What his opponent didn’t know he couldn’t counter, and the teen was perfectly happy with that.

With a loud cry, the Scyther shot forward unexpectedly, even as a dark maroon aura glowed around both pokèmon- Absol’s taunt coming into play. From that point forward, the mantis pokèmon would be forced too use offensive manoeuvrers. Drawing one long, sharp bladed sickle back, he sent it towards the silver dappled Absol, who dodged a moment too late. His body sailing across the large expanse of clear ground, he thudded too the dirt several metres away, skidding for a moment. The teen looked as though he was going too rush over, but common sense held him back.

Watching from a hidden place in the bushes, crystalline eyes hidden momentarily by crimson locks observed the battle, relaxing against a tree trunk.

The teen’s fists clenched at his sides, and for the first time, the gym leader across from him noted that wind raised buy his Scyther's Swords Dance… hadn’t died down. And that Absol was unusually distracted… Brushing his concerns away, he called out too his pokèmon, knowing that nothing could stop him now. “Scyther, continue with Fury Cutter!” Once the first blow had been struck, the attack doubled its momentum with each blow- until the opponent fainted, or it used a different attack.

Shaking his head and growling ferociously, fur fluffed out and stiff legged, the Absol stalked back towards his opponent, violet eyes darkening by the moment. “Quick Attack!. Hold on Loki, let it free soon!” Although puzzled buy the cryptic remark, the Bugsy ignored it, placing his trust in his precious bug pokèmon. “C’mon Scyther, this is nearly over!” He called out, encouraging it.

“Scy, scy ther!” It cried, rushing forward too attack the Absol, who was rushing along headfirst as well. For a sickening moment, it occurred too the hidden watcher that the pokèmon would collide- but they didn’t. At the last moment, body tense with coiled power and concentration, that Absol spun wildly on his haunches, back feet digging into the ground as launched himself into the air, crashing into the Scyther's unprotected back. With a surprised cry, it tumbled forward, one scythe lodging into the soil.

At that moment, the brisk breeze that had been blowing around the clearing suddenly increased, headed straight for the trapped mantis pokèmon. With a howl of victory, Loki unleashed his most powerful attack- Razor Wind. Glimmering discs of energy shone within the wind, and battered the gym leaders last pokèmon, until it finally fainted. Abruptly, the attack ended, and the Absol wavered on its feet, eyes slightly glassy. The gym leader sighed. “You win-“ he began, but was interrupted by the teen rushing forward and scooping up his pokèmon.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t think it would be that much of a strain!” He apologised, earning a satisfied pur. Relieved slightly, the teen returned her pokèmon too its ball, and was promptly joined buy a jubilant Growlithe, as he barked and ran around in circles. Grinning, the teen jogged over too the Gym Leader. “That was a great battle!” Bugsy merely shrugged, returning his Scyther too its pokèball in a short burst of red light. “Well, here’s your badge, and also the TM 49, Fury Cutter. Also, trained pokèmon up too level 30 will obey your commands.” Rowan thanked the gym leader before hurrying too leave for the poke centre, obviously worried about his Absol.

Bugsy watched the young teen leave with a faint glimmer of curiosity in his eyes. “Wonder when I’ll see him next,” He murmured, and as he turned away, a shadowy figure darted from the bushes too pursue the teen leaving the building, his features slightly surprised. ‘I didn’t know Rowan had such a head for strategy,’ Logan mused, frantically trying too figure out a way that would explain that he had not being spying on the touchy, prideful teen.

  //x-o-x\\

 

“Stupid son of a fly blown donkey molesting diseased monkey…” Rowan muttered darkly, throwing a look promising revenge at his travelling companions back. Whistling cheerfully, Logan pointedly ignored it. After finding the young trainer in the Union Cave after being attacked by Team Rocket, he had insisted on travelling with him. Right now, the teen was trudging towards the Ilex forest. The road around them was lightly forested, and panned out ahead into a large meadow, where a large congregation of trainers were battling fiercely.

A glimmer of interest lighting up his eyes, he straightened his back, and whistled for his pokèmon. Unlike most trainers, that tawny haired teen preferred too have his pokèmon outside of their pokèball’s- both for protection, and for the fact that he thought living in a pokèball would be boring. “Logan, I’m going too battle,” He yelled out, taking off up the track. Rolling his eyes, the tall, crimson haired teen firmly grasped the back of Rowans pack. “You can wait a few minutes.” He told the enthusiastic teen firmly, automatically assessing the trainers around them as they approached the large meadow.

Wild varieties of trainers and pokèmon where spread around, some battling, and some relaxing under shady trees. A few where even having picnics. Buy this stage, Rowan was cursing a stead stream of profanities under his breath, which was slightly high pitched with annoyance, and jiggling from one foot too the other. A loud, braying laugh caught his attention, and the fractacious teen whipped around to stare at the source of the noise.

Standing in the centre of the field, a tall teen was laughing his head off, obviously with the intent too humiliate the vanquished trainer before him. He was of an average height, with a gravity-defying mane of neon purple hair, and matching clothes- long pants, a long shirt, and short sleeveless vest. He was tossing a pokèball up and down in one hand, and had a small group of youths surrounding him. The field became unnaturally quiet, and with a start, Logan realised that every single pokèmon in the field was bristling with anger, the hostility directed towards the small gang.

“Get out of my sight you pathetic loser!” The teen snapped, before laughing loudly. On either side of Rowan, his two pokèmon, Loki and Aries, looked as though they where ready to tear the neon haired teen a new mouth. With a sharp command, she motioned them behind her, the two pokèmon flanking the teen as he strode towards the arrogant trainer. “I challenge you too a two versus two match!” His voice was cold and collected, and a stony mask had slipped into place over his face. Logan regarded the situation for a moment, momentarily lingering on the sudden change in demeanour. Shrugging, he looked for a good vantage point for the oncoming battle.

“Alright little man, I agree- I’ll even pulverise your pokèmon for free!” The teen began laughing once more, both for the threat, and his lyrical ‘talent’. Rowan simply tossed his head slightly. “Stop wasting my time and call out a pokèmon.” He snapped, emerald eyes burning a large hole through the neon haired teen. Snarling softly, the teen sniffed with disdain. “Fine, fine. Go, Hitmonlee!” In a burst of light, the squat, kick boxing pokèmon was revealed. ‘Its pretty ugly, but strong,’ Rowan decided, quickly checking up against his pokèdex. Immediately, the blood drained from his face.

Whilst his pokèmon had easily defeated Bugsy’s, which had been mostly too the intensive training that he had subjected them too. Both where at an even level 18, but their new opponent was at least level 26, and a fighting type at that. Hitmonlee was a deep tan colour, and two deep, slitted eyes regarded her contemptuously. Short arms dangled buy its sides, and its legs where long and ribbed, able to extend long distances. Glancing at her pokèmon, Rowan mulled on his decision. ‘Loki is faster but… Aries is stronger. I’ll start off with him.’ Nodding decisively, he made a small motion.

Early on, Rowan had found that a silent opponent was the most unnerving, and if he could find a way around directly announcing his battle plans, and allowing them too be countered, he could keep his opponents off balance. “Aries, its time to play.” Buy now, a lot of teenagers had drifted over too watch, and Rowan felt a tiny worm of doubt wriggle its way through his insides. ‘It’s all cool, I can do this…’ he reassured himself. From the crowd, deep cerulean eyes watched her curiously, assesively, wondering how the teen would fare, and ready to step in if necessary.

His tail lashing the air aggressively, Aries stepped forward, hackles raised and teeth bared. Even though he was young, the big boned, gangly Growlithe was still quite impressive, and his head easily reach Rowan’s hips. Snarling threateningly, he spat a small amount of flame at the neon haired teenager, and whatever comment he had been about to make died in his throat. “Hitmonlee, double kick!” He shouted, starting the battle. “Aries, dodge it and use combination elemental attacks! Speed is what we need!” Rowan shouted, eyes flitting over the battlefield nervously, as he tried too cope with every possibility.

Feet flying, the tan coloured fighting type lashed out with lightning fast kicks at the young Growlithe. Aries managed too spit an ember attack at his face an momentarily blind it, before he was brutally kicked across the small field. Crashing too the dirt, he yelped in pain, his lustrous fiery chestnut coat sullied buy dirt and bits of grass. Snarling, he shook the filth from his coat as he got too his feet, dark eyes fixed on his opponent. Rushing forward, he began too dart form side too side, running a circle around the Hitmonlee, occasionally spitting out an Ember attack as he did so.

“Hitmonlee, Fury Attack!” The teen shouted, his face shining with victory. Paling once more, Rowan hurriedly shouted out a counter attack, knowing that her Growlithe couldn’t dodge the hits from the higher levelled pokèmon. “Iron Tail!” She shouted, hoping that Growlithe could pull it off. Barking furiously, his tail shining with a liquid metal appearance, the fire puppy leapt into the air, swinging his tail around too hit his opponent. Having waited for just this opportunity, the Hitmonlee promptly lashed out with a Fury Attack, catching Aries mid air. A howl of pain echoed through out the meadow, followed buy a sickening crack.

“Aries!” Rowan shouted, bolting over the battleground towards the falling body of her pokèmon. He was plummeting towards the ground fast, and the teen promptly dive tackled him rolling into the dirt. The large fire puppy was wheezing, a thin trickle of blood leaking from his jaws. ‘He… he’s broken a rib!’ Rowan thought with detached shock, automatically returning the injured pokèmon too its pokèball. His short hair falling into his eyes, he walked stiffly towards Loki, who was meowing softly with concern.

For a brief moment, Rowan closed his eyes, his hair shadowing his face. “You hurt my pokèmon.” He whispered, and in the silence, the comment was clearly heard. “Hah, who cares. If its weak enough too get hurt buy a puny attack like that, then it deserves it!” The teen snapped arrogantly, nose tilted into the air. His mask of cold indifference dissolving, the tawny haired teen could barely contain the vile profanities boiling in his throat. “Loki, lets go!” Rowan snapped, his words harsher than intended. Ignoring his tone of voice, the silver dappled Absol moved onto the field, his tail lashing the grass.

“Razor Wind!” He shouted, hoping too get in the first attack. With a fierce yowl, Loki’s eyes glowed a brilliant violet, and a violent wind began too whip up. However, the attack took time to build up, and her opponent knew it. “Hitmonlee, drop kick that punt little runt! Double Kick!” he shouted, smoothing back his hair. Immediately, the fighting type rushed forward, pummelling his poor pokèmon. “Loki!” Rowan called out in anguish, watching his pokèmon’s face contort with agony with every blow. The wind began too whip with renewed energy, glimmering discs shining in its midst.

“SOL!” Loki screamed, launching the attack, his coat dirty and matted. Immediately, the mini tornado surrounded the Hitmonlee, sapping its health points. When it was over, the fighting type was panting slightly, thin cuts oozing blood. However, its previous attack had wounded Loki far worse, and he barely had the energy too push himself too his feet. A troubled look on his face, Rowan’s hand slowly moved towards a pale blue pokèball. ‘I don’t get it- how could the Hitmonlee defeat Aries and Loki that easily! Loki is really hurt… so I… have too forfeit.’ Head hanging low with shame, Rowan maximised the ball. “Return.” He whispered, eyes clenched shut so he wouldn’t have too see the look on Loki’s face.

“I forfeit. I can only hope that someone stops you, you bloody bully! But I’m sure that’ll comfort my pokèmon- I hope your happy.” His voice dead and cold, Rowan turned too head back too Azalea. If he ran fast enough, maybe his pokèmon’s condition wouldn’t deteriorate too fast. Worry and doubt snaking through his mind, he aimlessly shoved through the crowd, until a familiar voice froze him in his tracks.

“Alright punk, let’s go. I bet you $500 that I can defeat you with only one pokèmon, and one attack. Choose any pokèmon you like- you can even have two on one. Do you accept?” That calm, familiar voice was now chilled and angry, harsh enough too cut through diamonds. Standing on the field, dressed in loose brown pants and a deep russet, loose cotton shirt, Logan challenged the ‘punk’ too a battle. Rowan gaped. Logan had… pokèmon? This from a guy who didn’t even know how to use a pokègear, let alone a pokènav?

“You idiot, you can’t battle him- he’s way too strong! He’ll just hurt your pokèmon as well!” Rowan yelled, barrelling back through the crowd. His cerulean blue eyes hard, Logan simply shook his head. “Another time, Rowan. Let me handle this.” Gaping at how easily he had been brushed off, the tawny haired teen could only watch as the neon haired punk accepted with a grin, promptly releasing a Pidgeot, and a Hitmonchan. Logan smirked. “Predictable. Alright, lets go Himitsu,” He called out, lazily letting a pokèball flop from his hand.

In a blaze of white light, a delicate, violet-coated feline revealed herself, stretching for a moment, and flicking her long, slender ears. The midnight blue gem in the middle of her forehead matched her impossibly blue, depthless eyes, and the psychic pokèmon glanced at her trainer for a moment before turning sharply too face both of her opponents. She yawned deliberately, her forked tail curling around her body, delicate pink tongue curling in the late morning sunshine.

Understandably angry, the neon haired teen ordered his pokèmon too attack. “Pidgeot, Wing Attack! Hitmonchan, Fire Punch!” Logan raised an eyebrow. “Remember our bet? Himitsu, Psychic!” He ordered, cool, calm, and controlled. On the field, Himitsu’s tail twitched slightly, before she stared unblinkingly at the enemies bearing down on her. A loud crack echoed throughout the field, and a dark blue beam of psychic energy smashed into the pokèmon lunging for the delicate feline, who was watching them with narrowed eyes.

They where frozen in mid air for several seconds, before they thudded to the ground, unconscious. Trilling happily, the Espeon skipped back to her trainer, and lithely hopped too his shoulders, where she promptly began washing one paw fastidiously. The neon haired teen looked at his pokèmon for a moment, mouth gaping with shake. Shaking his head furiously, he returned his pokèmon and threw the required money down with a filthy curse that made his audience gasp.

He made too stalk off; bristling with the shame of his defeat, but a deceptively calm voice gave him pause. “Have you learned your lesson? Lording it over those that you defeat simply shows your own inadequacies.” The previously cocky teen stood in silence for moment. Before walking off, his cronies walking behind uncertainly. A small smile playing at the corners of his mouth, the flame haired teen walked quickly towards Rowan, who was looking confused.

He flashed the shaken teen a brief smile, before turning too the psychic pokèmon upon his shoulder. “Mind taking us too the pokèmon centre, Himitsu?” He questioned, and the violet feline trilled happily in response, and the small group quickly vanished in a blaze of midnight blue light.

  //x-o-x\\

 

‘This is getting harder and harder every day…’ Reana thought, groaning softly with frustration. She was in the communal baths of Azalea town, soaking in one of the moderately sized tubs. Curled up on the bench and well out reach of splashing, Aries was napping whilst he waited for her. Purring loudly as if too reassure her, Loki was curled up against her chest, gently kneading the soft skin just below her collarbones. Blinking sleepily, the tawny haired teen yawned, briefly shutting her bright emerald eyes.

‘How am I gonna keep this disguise up?’ She thought, her brows creasing into a frown. ‘I know that Logan’s Espeon suspects something… and I’m pretty sure that he does as well.’ The soft lap of water against her body soothed her, the heavy, moist steam from the bath bringing beads of sweat too the surface of her skin. Emerald eyes lulled close, she sighed deeply, before gently placing Loki on the bath mat beside the large tub, standing up. Water sheeted off of her form, and she stretched luxuriously, fingering her hair as it settled back around her face.

It had been two months since she had became ‘Rowan’ and most of that time she had spent alone; however, the past few weeks she had spent in Azalea town, staying at the Pokècentre. Logan seemed too be everywhere she went, and it made her feel like she constantly being pressured, as it added to all her other worries. Also, she had the strange feeling that she was being followed; as she kept seeing a Natu, a small, green psychic bird, following her at odd intervals. It was quite unnerving, and she wondered wether or not to simply give it all up.

‘But… I don’t want too see his face…’ Even though they had been together only for a few weeks, Reana had become fast friends with Logan, though she was often uneasy around him, never really quite sure too act as she fought with the slight attraction she felt towards him. Logan had a sly, sharp sense of humour, and although he was curiously reserved around other people, Reana often got the feeling that he was hiding something; almost like the personality she was seeing was simply a front. ‘A lot like me,’ She thought, slowly towel drying her body, enjoying the sensation of the plush cloth gliding across her skin.

‘It’s easy too keep this mask up in the town, but how easy will it be when we’re out in the wilderness? I’m used too that being time for just me

And then there was the troubling worry that he would treat her differently if she ever told him; but if she delayed it, the imminent explosion would simply be worse. The thought nagged and worried her, as she frequently began dwelling on the thought of simply throwing her disguise away, leaving in the middle of the night, and becoming herself again; like the Espeon in the Union Cave had suggested. Pulling on her pyjama’s, Reana ushered her pokèmon out of the bathroom, quickly following them. They had become extremely of protective of her since the incident in Violet City, and quite often Reana caught Loki staring at Logan with a brooding expression, flexing his claws thoughtfully.

‘Why don’t I do that?’ The sudden thought gave her pause, before she shrugged and crawled beneath her blankets, mulling over the idea. ‘But the reports of Team Rocket sightings in the Ilex Forest have grown a lot… It doesn’t matter. My pokèmon can protect me, and anyway, it’d be better too see my parents as myself rather than try too explain everything to them… they’d be really disappointed in me.’

As she mused over the thought, both her pokèmon snuggled up against her, and she heard the soft squeak of bedsprings as Logan rolled onto his side. For a brief moment she studied him, the nagging memory of a face somewhat similar with an association of importance keeping her awake. Finally, after several minutes of tossing and turning, and a belly deep sigh, she flopped on her back and drifted off to sleep, lulled buy the soft sounds of the night lurking just beyond the window.

 

  

  

 

  post amble();