Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Incomplete Souls ❯ When The Rocket Met The Twerp - Take Two ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
“Damn it!” James roared, pounding the pavement several streets away from his home, his melancholy, optical liquid falling harder than ever. “I DO love her! Why can’t she realise I didn’t mean to denounce it?!”


Little did the twentysomething realise that at the opposite end of the street on which he sat so desolately was his old enemy, who was currently in a situation extremely similar to that of his own.


“Why did it have to happen?!” Ash yelled at himself hysterically, also lamenting somewhat fiercely. “She CAN’T hate me! I love her!”


Now James may have been desperate, but he wasn’t audibly impaired.


“Who the hell…?” He said aloud, nonplussed as to precisely who was screaming a hundred houses down the avenue, but bothered by it slightly anyway.


Getting to his feet, his knees shaking slightly as he did so under the emotional pressure it cost him to rise, he set off down the road, ready to give whoever was down there a serious lecture.


However, as he reached the young man, who couldn’t, James estimated, have been over the age of about twenty-two, he only felt compassion. The male was shedding almost as many as tears as the ex-Rocket Agent himself was.


Sighing, and against his better judgement, James perched himself down next to the distraught man, who didn’t appear to notice him. At a temporary loss for lexis, the blue-haired male placed a comforting hand on the shoulder of the depressed individual.


“You alright?” James asked tentatively, to which the youngster didn’t even raise his head.


“Does it look like it?” The boy snapped, turning slightly away from James in a gesture of irritation.


“Well, excuse my concern,” the older man snarled coldly. “At least the only woman you’ve ever loved hasn’t chucked you out on the street for a stupid mistake.”


“That’s EXACTLY what’s happened to me,” the junior mused, looking up at James, and almost falling off the kerb in shock.


“JAMES?!” The boy demanded incredulously, which caused the male to nod, bewildered as to how this mysterious semi-teen knew his name.


“Do I know you?” James queried, staring intently at his new friend. “You seem vaguely familiar, but I don’t think we’re been formerly acquainted.”


“You’d think seeing someone daily for over nine years would leave a cognitive imprint,” the male replied dryly. “It’s me, Ash. You know, little twerp?”


James gaped, stunned.


“Not so little anymore, am I?” Ash muttered, standing slowly, wobbling precariously as he did so.


“You’re telling me,” the former Rocket answered in amazement, to which the smaller man let out a harsh laugh.


James stood himself, noticing the fact that Ash also had suitcases with him, and began to wonder.


“Walk with me,” he commanded.


Ash was about to protest about excess baggage, but James suddenly grabbed a Poke Ball, attempting to smile reassuringly, but only receiving a pained look for his troubles.


“Chimecho, go!” He called, his cracked voice ringing out over the street.


“Chime Chime!” It sang gently as it erupted from its home, looking considerably larger now than it had done when Ash had known it. At seeing her trainer’s tears, she zoomed into his arms and nuzzled against him.


James once again tried to smile.


“Not now, sweetie,” he whispered tenaciously, pointing at the belongings. “Psychic on the cases, please.”


“Chime!” It agreed, glowing blue temporarily, and hoisting the bags up telekinetically and effortlessly.


James shot Ash a brief glance, and motioned for the youth to follow him. Shrugging, the would-be Pokemon Master made chase, following the relaxed Chimecho.


“Misty or May?” The past Agent queried of his prior nemesis as he drew level with him. “My money’s on the former.”


“Yeah,” Ash answered glumly. “Jessie?”


“Yeah.”


They strode along in deadening silence for several minutes, each of them deep in coherent thought about their spouses. Finally, Ash broke the stony peace.


“Where are we going?”


“The nearest Pokemon Centre,” James quipped. “I’m hardly falling over my chequebook, if you know what I mean.”


“Same here,” Ash commented.


The men stole each other a brief glance, each muttering “women” simultaneously, and continuing their inaudible unhappiness.