Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Incomplete Souls ❯ ... And Their Trials And Tribulations ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Jessie had taken a seat on a roughly surfaced boulder near a group of trees, and was sobbing quietly, all leads run well and truly dry and wishing that she’d never yelled at James.


What the woman was sadly oblivious to was the fact that behind the closest slice of wilderness was her feline friend, who could currently only see her hunched back.


“How to do dis…” he whispered to himself. He was, after all, essentially dead… would she really believe that he was coming to assist her with her relationship for a day?


“Oh sod it,” he muttered mournfully, stepping out of from behind the lush greenery and clearing his throat considerably.


Jessie spun round, more careful then she might generally have been, and screamed suitably, utterly stunned.


“MEOWTH?!” She cried, hitching herself up and staring him, pondering her sanity.


“Jess, youse looks…” the cat began, but the woman was slowly backing off, totally disbelieving in her vision.


“Delusional I may be, but if you call me fat, furball, I will annihilate you,” she snapped, glaring at him in complete amazement.


“Youse ain’t deluded,” Meowth assured her gently, unable to tear his wide eyes from her foreign frame. “I was goin’ to say dat you look mature.”


“Mature?” She repeated, staring at herself with disdain. “Well, that’s a first.”


Meowth laughed, deciding to make sure she realised she wasn’t seeing things while she seemed slightly at ease.


“Jess, I’m here ‘cos of you and Jimmy,” the cat commented gently, moving over to her, and attempting to reach out to her. She, however, quickly dodged his paw, rather speedy for a heavily pregnant female.


“Tell me why you’re here first,” she said in annoyance, her hand now firmly on her swollen stomach, in a manner of maternal protection that astounded her friend.


“I’m here ’cos of my job,” the feline explained calmly, having no desire to intimidate his former partner. “My occupation is ta keep soulmates toggeda, and youse and James aren’t at da moment. I’m here for da day to make sure youse remain wid each other.”


“Strange,” she mumbled under her breath, returning tentatively to her boulder. “Well, that’d be quite difficult, seeing as how he’s just left me.”


“Youse said that you hate him,” Meowth answered accusingly, not exceptionally happy with his friend’s speed of blaming James.


“I know,” she said with an evidently heavy heart, her tears rearing their head again. “I didn’t mean to, Meowth - I love him so much.”


“Dis is what I mean by ‘mature’,” the cat remarked with a smile, parking himself down in front of her. “Embracin’ motherhood, able ta admit emotions, and goin’ ta look for your man. You go, goil.”


She threw him a warm look, before wrapping him in a tight hug.


“I missed you, you know,” she assured him gently, dampening his fur with her tears.


Meowth grinned and stayed there for a moment, enjoying the familiar warmth of his female friend.


“After your death, James became depressed - to the extent of wanting to quit Team Rocket,” the woman exclaimed, reluctantly letting her deceased acquaintance go in order to speak to him properly. “It was his reaction and my feelings of desolation that eventually gave us the courage to give up our jobs and admit our hidden feelings.”


“And settle down, by da loiks of it,” the cat added with a placid smirk, glancing once again at Jessie’s stomach, and feeling a painful twinge as he remembered Cupid’s words about one their number dying if he couldn’t bring them back together. What would Jessie do if she lost her baby? Meowth couldn’t bear to think of what it’d do to both her and James.


“How long ‘til it’s born?” Meowth queried, feeling rather strange at having to ask the infant-detesting Jessie how far along she was in pregnancy.


“A few weeks,” she said in a small voice, obviously close to cracking up at being without James. “Meowth, this is terrible…”


“What’s terrible?” He posed the question, pondering her point of view seriously.


“I hated it when I found out,” Jessie muttered, the melancholy misery flowing down her cheeks again now. “But through James, I started to look forward to meeting our daughter… and if he’s not going to be there - I don’t think I can do it alone, Meowth…”


“Jess, he WILL be dere,” the feline promised, looking awkwardly up at her sobbing frame. He wasn’t used to her being so emotionally fragmented - that was normally her husband’s area of expertise.


“How will he?!” She cried frantically. “I told him I hate him for staying out so late, when in reality he only does it to evade my moodswings! Meowth, you HAVE to bring him back - I need him…”


The talking cat patted her gently on the shoulder, unnerved slightly by her prominent misery.


“Jessie, I, Meowth, will find your soulmate,” he vowed, jumping off her lap carefully. “Go home - youse shouldn’t be out in your condition.”


“Meowth, I’m pregnant, not mentally ill,” she snapped in irritation.


“It don’t matta,” the cat replied heatedly, his wide eyes blazing in a vain of disobedience. “I’ll bring James home. Now go.”


“Thank you,” she whispered, treading the path she had previously paced.