Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ The Nova Project ❯ Chapter 5

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Chapter 5
_____________

A year later . . .

Nova looked out over the city, arms crossed behind his back. He was standing on top of one of the highest skyscraper's in New York. He looked quite more different. He had blonde hair he grew out, which wasn't really combed. His body was also anthropomorphic now. Anthro meaning he had human like characteristics. He wore a pair of tan pants and a white t-shirt. He had moved all the way here to get away from all those memories. He never found Chrome, or the other two children. He looked down to Destiny, who was sitting beside him, looking up at him with a smile. He smiled lightly back at her, then looked out over the city. It was October 31st. Halloween. Today was also a special day for Nova. It was his birthday. He was now twenty-two years of age. He picked up Destiny gently into his arms, and jumped off the skyscraper. Of course, he used his psychic powers to fly through the air. Destiny laughed as they flew at high speed towards the street. A few feet above the sidewalk, Nova stopped, and landed gently on the sidewalk. Several people stared at him as they walked by. Nova snickered, not caring about anyone else, or what they thought. He began walking down the sidewalk, nuzzling Destiny.

"Oh, such a beautiful day it is!" Nova snickered, huggling Destiny.

"Myu!" She squealed happily, hugging her father. A few months ago, Destiny had gained the ability to speak. She was already pretty good with her words.

"Should we go home, Destiny?" He smiled, walking towards downtown.

"Myuu!" Was her reply. She had agreed.

"Alright!" He snickered. After a while, they reached an apartment building. He unlocked the door, and entered the apartment. He headed up a flight of stairs, and opened his door, stepping into his apartment. The apartment had two bedrooms, a living room, two bathrooms, a kitchen, and a few closets. It was pretty nice for an apartment. He sat down on the couch with her on his lap.

She giggled, bouncing up and down in his lap as her tail swayed behind her.

"You gonna go trick or treating tonight, Destiny?" He smiled, watching her.

She shook her head, preferring not to. "Well, alright. It's your choice." He snickered, nuzzling his nose against hers. "I'm gonna go get something at the drug store. You want Megan to watch after you?" He smiled.

She nodded vigorously, jumping up and down. She was picked up by Nova, and held in his arms as he stood. "Alright." He stepped to the door, and exited his apartment. He went next door, and knocked on the door.

"Hold on Hold on…" A girl opened the door, looking at them. She looked like a raver. Eyebrow pierced, baggy pants, the whole works. "Oh, hey." She smiled.

"Can you watch Destiny for a bit? I just need to run to the store, ya know. To pick up a few things."

"Yeah, man. I can." She nodded, still smiling. "Hey Destiny!" She smiled to Destiny who was already reaching out with her arms, trying to get to her.

"Alright Alright." Nova laughed as he handed her over to Megan.

"Don't worry, Nova. She's in good hands." She smirked, winking.

"Yeah, I know that." He smirked as well. "Take care." He headed down the stairs.

"Yeah, you too." She went into the apartment, holding Destiny.

Nova stepped out onto the sidewalk, stuffing his paws in his pockets. He sighed softly, and began to walk towards the store. Which was about half a mile a way.

Behind him, were two Mewtwos, both dressed in black trenchcoats.

One of them looked at Nova, seeing a blade on his head. "Chris…look!" It was Leon, the Mewtwo who had got beaten up. But, how did they get here? They were both twenty-one years of age.

"Huh? I remember him." Chris peered at Nova. "He's that one dude…"

"Dude doesn't say much." He looked at Chris, his brother. He stepped up behind Nova. "Hey.. excuse me…"

"Huh?" Nova turned, looking at Leon.

"I think I know you."

"I'm not surprised…" Nova shrugged, turning as he began to walk.

"Ah, wait!" Leon kept up with him, walking beside him, his paws stuffed away in his pockets. Chris kept up behind him, glancing at the passerby's.

"You're that one Mewtwo from the woods. The one that was getting beat up by the punks."

Nova stopped in his tracks, and looked at Leon. "…Who are you? And how did you know that?"

"Me and my brother, Chris, were walking in the forest. We are a special breed of Mewtwo. We can travel anywhere in time." He smirked.

"So you two were those Mewtwo's that took my place?" He crossed his arms, looking to both of them.

"Yeah, we both earned scars across our faces." He nodded.

"Well, I'm sorry I didn't help. I was kind of in a hurry."

"Hn, I understand." Leon nodded. "What's your name?"

"Nova… Nova Hellfyre."

"I'm Leon, and this is my brother, Chris." He nodded back to his taller brother, who nodded towards him.

"Nice to meet you both, Leon, Chris." He began walking again.

"Well, wait!" He sighed, both of them catching up with him again. "You look like a good fighter, am I right?"

"Yeah, I'm alright, I guess." He shrugged as he walked.

"Well, ya see. I own a team of fighters. The best of the best. Mostly Mewtwo's. The team is called T.R.A.G.. It means Tactical Recon Assault Group."

"Yeah, so?"

"I kinda wondered if you were interested."

"It depends."

Leon sighed, crossing his arms. "Well, you'll have a great new home. You see, I own a big starship."

"A starship?"

"Yeah, a ship that floats around in space."

Nova rose a brow.

"I got it from the future. Kinda, ya know, stole it." He smirked.

"And what's in it for me?"

"Great home. Free food. Entertainment. Crap like that."

"…Fine." Nova smiled lightly. "I guess so."

"Alright!" Leon smiled, Chris not really showing any emotion. He just stood there, arms crossed, his trench coat swaying a bit from a cool breeze.


About an hour later, Nova returned home, picking up Destiny from the babysitter, and stepped into his apartment. Nova handed the bar of chocolate he bought for Destiny to her, who was delighted. "There ya go, Destiny!" He snickered.

Destiny squealed in delight, taking the bar and opening it, taking a few bites. "Myuuu!" She giggled.

He smiled brightly at her reaction. "Destiny, we're going to be moving soon." He petted her head gently.

"W…Why?" She stuttered a bit as she talked, since she still had a few problems in speech.

"Well, it'll be free, and it'll be a much better place to live. You'll like it, Destiny."

She nodded, and put the chocolate on the table, throwing her little arms around his neck, hugging.

He returned a soft hug, rocking back and forth just slightly.
A few days later, Nova arrived at a mansion with Destiny. He drove an old Chevy Nova. Kinda fit him, eh? He parked in the driveway, and took Destiny into his arms as he climbed out. He walked up the steps onto the large porch, where Leon awaited.

"Good morning, Nova." He smiled, and opened the door to the mansion.

"Morning, Leon." He nodded, and stepped into the mansion, amazed at how much larger it looked like inside.

Leon followed in behind Nova and Destiny, closing the door behind him. "You like it?"

"It's very cool."

"Yeah, my brother owns it. I stay here sometimes, but I'm usually on the starship.

Nova nodded, looking at Destiny who was glancing around, in awe.

"Well, all you have to do-" Leon handed Nova an application. "-is fill this out."

Nova took it with his free paw, looking at it as he held Destiny in his other arm. "Alright, can I do it here?"

"Of course." Leon motioned with his head to a few chairs, a couch, and a small table. He walked over to a chair, and sat down.

Nova sat down with Destiny on the couch, putting her beside him as he placed the application on the table.

Leon tossed a pen to Nova, and Nova caught it, and began working on the application.

Soon, Nova had filled it out, and handed it to Leon.

Leon glanced over the application for a few minutes, then nodded. He leaned forward, and offered his paw to shake with Nova. "Welcome to the Starship Arita, Nova."

Nova shook with Leon, and smiled. "Thank you."

"Pack your bags, we'll be departing when you get back." Leon stood, and stepped to the front door.

Nova picked up Destiny, nuzzling her head gently before stepping out the door, and walking to his Chevy Nova.


A few hours later, Nova returned with two suitcases, and stepped back into the mansion once more. Leon was there with Chris, both of them sitting in the living room. They both stood, looking at them.

"Ah, hello again. Are you ready to go?" Leon asked.

"Yeah, we're ready." Nova nodded, glancing down at Destiny who was walking beside him.

"Come on then." Leon walked to the other end of the living room, and opened a door that lead into a long hallway.

Nova nodded, and followed Leon down the hallway, Destiny walking right behind Nova.

Leon opened the door at the end of the hallway, and stepped into a hanger. Nova's jaw dropped as he saw about six Starfighters, and four F-15's.

"How did you get all these?!" He was in awe.

"Got 'em from the future..." Leon snickered softly, and stepped into a locker room. After a minute or so, he walked back out to them, wearing a uniform. It was a black jumpsuit, with an armpatch that had "STAR" on it, then right under that it had "T.R.A.G.".

"What, you steal all of them?"

"Nah, I bought 'em… with money I stole." Leon laughed.

Nova snickered softly, then noticed the armpatch. "What does STAR stand for?" Nova asked.

"Starship Arita." Leon smirked.

"Ah, so I'll be wearing one of those uniforms?"

"Yep, when you get to the Starship, you'll get everything you need." Leon walked over to a Starfighter like ship, but it was a transport. Leon opened the back, and stepped in.

Nova and Destiny followed, still in awe.

"You two can just stay back here." He smiled, and climbed up a small ladder up into the cockpit. Nova sat down in one of the seats beside Destiny, and buckled her up before he buckled himself up. Nova put the suitcases on the seat on the other side of him. The door shut, making everything go dark for a moment. Soon a red light turned on, filling the cabin. They could feel the ship shake as it lifted up off the ground.

Nova looked at Destiny, who was shaking just a bit. "Don't worry, Destiny." He smiled, stroking her head gently. They could both feel a bit of turbulence as they flew up towards space. There were no windows, so they couldn't tell if they were in space yet or not. The only window was the one in the cockpit.

After a minute or two, Leon climbed down out of the cockpit. "You two may wanna look at this." He grinned, and climbed back up into the cockpit.

Nova took off his seatbelts, then unbuckled Destiny. He picked her up, and let her hold onto his neck as he climbed up into the cockpit. Nova took Destiny into her arms as he glanced out the cockpit's window. "Whoa!" They were now in space. Nova and Destiny had never seen anything like it. All those stars, oh, they were so beautiful!

Nova smiled at Destiny, who was in awe, just like him. They both gazed out the window, Leon sitting in the pilot's chair.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" Leon looked at the two, smiling before looking back out into space.

"It's awesome…" Nova commented, those eyes slowly moving from left to right.

"I know… That's why I moved to the starship." He kept his paws on the controls, moving towards the ship. "You may want to buckle up." Leon motioned to the seat beside him, and behind him.

"Why?" Nova asked curiously.

"You'll see." Leon pushed a few buttons.

Nova put Destiny in the seat beside Leon, buckling her up. He sat in the seat behind them, buckling himself up.

"Three…" Leon put a paw on a lever. "Two…one!" He pulled the lever back, and the transport went into hyperspace.

"Holy s-!" Nova was pressed back against his seat as they sped into hyperspace. For a moment, time seemed to stop. Then, all of a sudden, they warped into a new part of space. And there, right in front of them, was a huge starship.

"Welcome to the Starship Arita." Leon grinned, heading towards the cargo bay.

"Wow!" Nova said as he and Destiny stared at the Starship in awe.

Leon pulled into the cargo bay. Inside were a few more transport ships, and about twenty starfighters. He landed right beside another transport, and pushed a few buttons. The ship shut down, and Leon unbuckled himself, and stood up. "Well, I'll show you your new home." He smiled, and climbed down out of the transport. Nova unbuckled himself, then helped Destiny out of her seatbelt. They both followed him.

After leaving the cargo bay with Leon, they entered a long hallway filled with metal sliding doors.

"Hmm." Leon took a small datapad off his belt, and began fiddling with it. "Ah, here it is." He looked at a small map on the datapad's screen. He followed the hallway for a moment, and stopped in front of a door. "And here it is." He pushed a button on a panel beside the door, and it slid open.

Nova and Destiny followed Leon into a room. It had two medium sized beds, a desk, a bar in the corner of the room, a closet, and a window. There was another door in the room. They both were still in awe, getting more and more amazed by all this technology.

"Ah, you like it?" Leon glanced at them with a smile.

"Very much!" Nova nodded. Destiny hopped out of Nova's arms, and ran around the room, glancing at everything.

"You haven't even seen the bathroom yet." Leon laughed softly, and stepped to the other door. It slid open, and he stepped into a large room. It had a sink, a shower and tub, and even a hot tub! Oh, and of course, a toilet.

"This place is great!" He stepped into the bathroom. After glancing at everything, he looked at Leon. "You sure this room is for me?"

"Positive." Leon snickered, crossing his arms over his chest.

He laughed softly, and dashed back into his room, jumping onto the bed, bouncing just a bit. He pushed a few strands of blonde hair out of his face, and he laid on his back, looking up at the ceiling. "This is so wonderful… it's been forever since I've been so excited."

"Well, I'll leave you alone for now. I'll be back in a bit. Your uniform and gear are in the closet." He folding his arms behind his back, and walked out into the hallway.

Nova stepped over to the closet while Destiny hopped up and down on her bed. He opened it, seeing his own black jumpsuit, and gear. He took the pair of black tight pants, and then took a hold of the black shirt. He took off his current pants, and slipped on the black one, zipping it up. Afterwards, he pulled off his shirt, and put on the black one. Then he grabbed the utility belt, and put it on. "Ah, it fits perfectly." He said.

Destiny watched, her head tilted in curiosity. She giggled softly.

He looked at Destiny with a smile, before heading to the closet, and he glanced to strange handgun. He picked it up, looking it over before putting it in its holster on his belt. He put the rest of his gear in their places, like a pair of handcuffs, a datapad, a few clips for the gun, and some other stuff.

A few minutes later, Leon returned, one paw resting on his belt, the other dangling at his side. "Are you ready?" He asked.

"Yeah, I am." Nova replied with a nod.

"Alright then, follow me." He smiled, and stepped back into the hallway.

Nova followed out into the hallway with Leon. Destiny quickly got off the bed, and ran to catch up beside them.

Leon walked down the hallway, talking as he did. "Well, of course, the ship is filled with living quarters. We have a pool room on one level, and a sauna. We have a bar and a restaurant. Also, there is a shooting range, and a training range. You will be taking a few classes tomorrow. Any questions?" Leon looked back at Nova as he walked.

"Yeah." Nova unholstered the handgun, looking at it. "Why do I have this?"

"Ah, well, if you haven't noticed yet, you are unable to use any psychic powers on most of the ship. In the battle arena, and in several of the training courses, you can use psychic powers. The only way you can use your psychic power's is if the power in the ship is off, or if the security system is off." Leon shrugged, stuffing his paws into his pockets.

"I see." He holstered the handgun, resting his paw on the butt of it.

"Anyway. You'll meet a lot of trainees and residents of the ship. Most of them are pretty nice." Leon smirked softly, stopping in front of an elevator.

"Alright." Nova smiled, looking at the elevator.

Leon pushed the up button on a panel, and the elevator arrived. "They are probably all at the bar right now, it's that time of day." He laughed softly, stepping into the elevator.

Nova smirked, and stepped in beside Leon, along with Destiny.

Leon pushed the button that had the number "20" on it. The top level. The elevator flew up towards the twentieth floor. The doors slid open, and they all stepped into another long hallway. There were less doors in this hallway.

"Down this way." Leon motioned with a movement of his head, and he headed down the hallway, paws restuffing themselves his pockets.

Nova nodded, picking the begging Destiny up into his arms.

She giggled as she was carried down the hallway, that tail brushing against his arm.

Nova purred softly as he stopped in front of a pair of doors.

"Well, this is it." Leon pushed the button, and the door slid open.

About two dozen people were settled in the bar, talking loudly, laughing, acting wild.

"Hn, well, here they are." Leon rubbed the back of his head nervously.

"Ehh." Nova rose a brow, watching a bottle being thrown across the room.

Another Mewtwo hopped out of his seat, laughing as he held a beer bottle in his paw. This one was different, he had stripes of red fur along with his white and purple fur. "I'll buy you all a beer, mates!" he used a Australian accent.

"Pyro, you don't have the money to." A woman turned around on her stool, looking at Pyro.

"Ah, mum! I do too!" he glanced to his mother.

"Hey Jessie, I bet he stole most of it from you!" A man laughed, looking at Pyro's mom.

"Hmph. He wouldn't." she smirked, looking at Pyro. "Would you?"

"Nah. Of course I wouldn't, mum!" he whined.

"Well, as you can see…" Leon looked at Nova. "You're teammates are all, uh, drunk." He smirked.

"Hn, that's great." Nova let Destiny sit on his shoulder, and he crossed his arms firmly.

"Hey everybody! Look! It's Leon! Have fun at Earth, captain?" An anthropomorphic fox asked, looking at Leon with a snicker.

"Great. They spotted me." He mumbled to himself, then he talked out loud. "Hello everybody! How are things?"

They all simply nodded, some of them going back to their beer.

Pyro sat on the edge of a pool table, looking at Nova. "Who's that, mate? A new recuit?"

"Yeah, his name is Nova Hellfyre." Leon looked at Nova. "And that's his daughter, Destiny Hellfyre."

Destiny giggled, hiding behind Nova's head the best as she could.

"Um, hello." Nova nodded, looking at all of them.

"Good day, mate! And so how did this bluddy creature get ya on the ship?" Pyro snickered.

"He volunteered." Leon glared at Pyro, crossing his arms.

"Oh, I see, mate!" Pyro thwaped the cue ball into the other balls, knocking a few of them into the sockets. "And luck is with me today!" He laughed.

Leon looked at Nova, talking quietly. "Sorry, they can get wild sometimes when they aren't working." He sighed softly.

"I understand." Nova smirked softly, Destiny peeking out from behind Nova's head.

"Hey Nova! C'mon, mate! I'll buy ya a beer!" Pyro offered.

"Ah, well…" Nova looked at Leon, who shrugged. He glanced back at them. "…Sure."

"That's the spirit, mate!" Pyro laughed, looking to the man behind the counter, obviously the tender. "A beer for this young creature!"

Nova took Destiny into his arms. "You want to go with Leon to see the rest of the ship?" He smiled to her.

She nodded, looking to Leon with a giggle.

Leon offered his arms for Destiny, and she hopped into them. "Don't worry Nova, I have kids of my own." He smirked.

"I trust you." He laughed softly, letting Destiny go.

Leon smiled to Destiny, letting her rest in his arms. "Hey, I got something you'll like in the entertainment center!" He headed down the hallway as Nova was left in the bar.

Nova stepped on over to a seat at the bar, and he sat down, the beer being placed in front of him. He looked in the mug, blinking as he glanced down at the substance inside. "This is.. beer?" He tilted his head.

"But of course, mate! Have you not tried beer?" Pyro sat beside him, purple tail flicking about.

"Ah, y-yeah! Of course I have.. it's just been a while." Nova smirked, taking a hold of the mug with a paw. Actually, he had never tried beer before. He brought it to his lips, taking a small sip before placing it back down. "Whoa.." He blinked a few times, licking his lips. "…Very good!" He laughed softly, and everyone laughed as well.

"Yeah, mate! I think I like ya!" Pyro laughed and took a big gulp of his beer.

After a while, Nova had drank a few beers, liking the new substance. He stood up off the stool, a bit wobbly. He shook it off, and stepped over to the door. Most of the people had left the bar. Only Pyro and about four others remained. He stepped into the hallway, looking to the left and right, seeing no one. As he headed down the hallway, he saw Leon and Destiny turn the corner.

Destiny, spotting Nova, immediately ran to him, jumping into his arms.

Nova smiled, hugging her tightly as she jumped into his arms. He purred gently, nuzzling her before looking to the smiling Leon.

"Quite a good girl you have, Nova." He stuffed his paws away in the pockets of his STAR uniform.

"Thanks." He smiled as well, nodding, then glancing back to Destiny who was giggling. Leon followed them to Nova's room, stepping inside with them.

"Well, I advise you two get some sleep tonight. You'll need it…" Leon smirked, waving before he stepped back out into the hallway.

"Alright. Goodnight." Nova nodded, and laid back on the bed, sighing softly as he stared up at the ceiling. He smiled softly as Destiny curled up at his side, purring as she closed her eyes.

"Goodnight, Destiny.." He continued to smile as he stroked her little head gently, then closed his eyes as well. Soon he had fallen into the dream world, sleeping peacefully through the night.

The next morning he slowly opened his eyes, glancing around the room and out the window. He was used to seeing that sunlight pouring in, but instead he saw the same thing he did the night before, which was the infinity of space and the stars. Destiny was still cuddled up at his side, eyes closed as she purred like a cat. He sat up quietly, rubbing his forehead with a paw. "Hnn.. I hope Leon doesn't need me yet.." He grumbled, rubbing his eyes.

"Rise and shine, Nova!" A little droid hovered into the room. It was probably no bigger then a computer screen.

"You gotta be kidding me…" He blinked a few times, looking at the droid.

"I'm droid number #3432! Or, if ya want, you can call me Sapphire!" It hovered in front of his face.

"Ah.. nice to meet you, Sapphire.." He was a bit surprised seeing a droid.

"…And I'm Samantha… Sam for short." A woman stepped into the room, holding a datapad in her hand.

He looked to Samantha, not knowing she had been watching. "Uh, hello, Samantha.. I'm N-"

"Nova Hellfyre, I know." She smirked, the droid moving to her side.

He blinked, figuring someone had already told her his name.

"I heard a little bit about you. Not much though. Maybe you could tell me a few things over breakfast, hm?" She smiled and put the datapad in her utility belt. Her thumbs rested in her back pockets.

"Ah, w-well.." He looked from her to Destiny, who was still asleep. He looked back to her. "…Sure. I guess."

"Great. Might want to get dressed." She smirked, and disappeared into the hallway with Sapphire.

Nova quietly got up, and got back into uniform before following her out into the hallway.


After eating breakfast at the restaurant, Nova told Samantha everything about him. Well, at least most of the things about him.

"Wow, you're life has it's ups and downs, huh?" Samantha leaned forward just a little, resting her elbow on the table, chin propped up by a hand.

"Yeah, I guess you could say that." Nova sighed softly before taking the finishing sip of his orange juice.

"I would tell you my past. But, we can save that for another day. Main reason being because Leon is standing right behind you." She shifted her gaze up to look at the smirking Leon.

Nova looked back at Leon. "Oh, sorry, I just thou-"

"It's alright, Nova." He interrupted. "I already put Destiny in the daycare."

"Alright." Nova nodded, standing up.

"It was nice talking to you Nova." Sam stood up, offering a hand to shake with him.

"Likewise." Nova extended a paw, shaking with her briefly before following Leon out of the restaurant.

Throughout the day, Nova spent training with Leon and other members of the T.R.A.G. team. He was trained in weapons and close combat, stealth and infiltration. He didn't learn everything in one day, of course. He just learned bits and pieces for the first day. At the end of the day, he was tired of course. After picking Destiny up from the daycare, he stepped into his room, placed her on the ground, and collapsed on the bed. He rolled onto his back, his body coated in a small layer of sweat. He ran his arm across his forehead, collecting the beads of sweat from it.

Destiny crawled up onto the bed, and pounced onto his stomach, sitting there as she watched him with her head tilted curiously.

Nova looked at her, smiling weakly as he patted her head. He relaxed his body, looking up at the ceiling. He heard his door slide open, and he lifted his head up, looking at who had entered.

"Nova, I watched you train today." That anthro fox from the bar was there, in uniform, arms dangling at his side. "Quite impressive."

He sat up, Destiny plopping down in his lap. "…Um, thanks.."

"I don't believe I've seen anyone get so much progress in one day. I went through the same training, and it took me about a week to do what you did today." The fox smirked, leaning back against the door frame. "…Oh, forgot to introduce myself. I'm Takashi. Takashi Yorimitsu. T.R.A.G. member, specialist in infiltration and close combat."

"And you already know my name." Nova laughed quietly. "Most everyone already does."

"Yep." Takashi laughed softly, arms crossing over his chest. "…Just want to wish you luck, Nova. The real thing is much more harder then those training exercises." He smirked.

"Well, thanks again…"

Takashi chuckled softly, nodding. "Of course. I'll see you later… Nova." He smirked, and disappeared into the hallway.

Nova simply blinked, finding Takashi a little… strange. But oh well. He sighed, flopping back onto the bed, arms stretched out. Those eyes slipped closed, and he would wander back to sleep with the little Destiny curled up in his lap.