Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Without Control ❯ From Bad to Worse (Tracey) ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Note to all non-Christians: Yes, I do briefly mention Christianity in here (and it's very brief), but I don't really think it's anything capable of offending anyone. Sorry if it does.

From Bad To Worse

I knew something was wrong when I returned to the motel to find several police cars parked out the front. Ash and Brock came up to me. Ash looked like he'd been crying.
"What's wrong?" I asked, worried.
"It's Misty… she… she…" Ash began, but burst into tears before he was able to finish.
"Misty's dead. Nobody's sure how. The police are investigating it." Brock explained. He sounded like he was trying to stop himself from crying too.
I was unable to speak.

Ash seemed unable to cope with Misty's death. At her funeral, when it was his turn to speak, he had barely begun when he broke into tears and had to stop. He became even worse over the next few weeks. He was quiet and antisocial, and no longer seemed the bright, enthusiastic aspiring Master he had been before. Thinking that he might need a break and a chance to relax, I convinced him to come back to the Orange Islands for a holiday. Brock chose not to come.
After a few days, it was very clear that it wasn't helping. He was still as withdrawn as usual. Often he'd just sit on the beach, staring at the ocean. The worst was yet to come, though.
One night, Ash had decided to go up to his room earlier than usual. Thinking nothing of it, I stayed downstairs. However, when I went up to my room about half an hour later, I was terrified at what I found.
Ash was half-lying, half-sitting on his bed; slumped against the wall, blood trickling from a wound in his chest. The knife was still in his hand. Pikachu was beside him, crying softly. It glanced towards me. In its eyes was a look of utter hopelessness and despair. I felt the same way. I rushed over to him.
"Ash! Ash! Oh, God, why'd you do this?" I exclaimed, clutching his hand. Ash's eyes flickered open.
"I… I'm sorry, Trace. I had to. I can't bear it without… without her…"
"But you didn't have to do this…"
"Perhaps… but it's too late now… just, just pray for me - that whatever happens, wherever I find myself in the Next World - that I'll be wherever Misty is… goodbye, Tracey, Pikachu, I'm sorry…"
And he was gone. I stayed there for a few minutes, not sure what to do, unable to speak or move. I had already lost one of my two closest friends, and now I had just lost the other. Eventually I got up and rushed out, looking for a hotel employee or someone. I finally found one.
"Please, miss, you've got to help me!" I asked, frantic.
"What is it… oh, God, what's happened? You've got blood on your hands!" she exclaimed.
"My friend… he… he committed suicide. In our hotel room. I just came in and he was lying there and it was terrible…"
The lady looked as worried as I felt. Almost. She was trying to control herself.
"Calm down. You've had an awful shock. We'll… we'll call an ambulance or something…"
"It's too late for him. He's gone. And I don't think he wants to come back, either." I mumbled.
"We'll have to call the police, though. Follow me." she instructed. It wasn't long before, once again, I was listening to the sound of sirens, and facing a questioning from the police.

Ash's funeral was held back in Pallet Town. Despite his family being Christian, and therefore the funeral being to the tone of hope and of God's love and returning home, I found no consolation in any of it. My best friends were gone. I'd never see them again.
Afterwards, Brock came up to me. He looked angry.
"Okay. I can stop pretending to like you now. It was you, wasn't it?" he snapped.
"What?" I asked, confused. "I don't know what you're talking about."
"Yes you do. Admit it. You killed Ash and Misty. I know you did."
"Have you gone crazy?"
"Stop pretending you're innocent. All the evidence points to you. You were conveniently absent when Misty was found dead. Who's to say you didn't kill her, then go out so you'd have an alibi?"
"But…" I began. Brock cut me off. He was shouting now.
"And letting Ash go off on vacation with you was the biggest mistake I ever made. He knew, didn't he? And you had to get rid of him. So you murdered him, and made it look like suicide! You were found with blood on you!"
"Stop accusing me! I did nothing! You're just blaming me with no reason! I'm just as horrified at all this as you are! Why would I want to kill them, anyway? They're my best friends!"
Brock had a look of fury that I had never seen before.
"Get away from me! Just take your pack of lies and go! I don't ever want to see you again!" he screamed at me.
"Fine! If that's the way you feel, I don't plan on interfering." I answered, storming off.

Now I'm alone again. I suppose I'll just go back to being a Pokémon Watcher, like I was before. But it won't be the same. It'll never be the same as it was before. Never.