Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Iron Royalty ❯ Chapter 6: Family Reunion ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Riley felt a hand on his head and sat up. Reina smiled at him.

He’d fallen asleep on the chair beside her bed. He’d leaned forward to use her bed as a pillow and was comfortable, somewhat, in that position.

He rubbed the sleep from his eyes and then smiled at Reina. “G’morning.”

“Sort of.” Reina smiled and patted Riley’s hand. “I’m glad I woke to such a familiar face.” The smile was gone again and she looked at her toes. “I’m sorry about my father. He’s intimidating and tends to flare out like that. I shouldn’t have let him get that first blow in. I wish I’d been stronger so you wouldn’t have been hurt.”

Riley grabbed her wrist. “Hey, don’t apologize. He’s not a nice person and there’s nothing that can really be done about him.”

Reina shrugged. “Did anybody come to see me?”

“No.” Riley felt Reina’s pulse slowing. She had been nervous, but now she was okay. “Do you feel up to walking?”

Reina put her hand out, as if reaching for something in thin air. Espeon jumped through the open window and down Reina’s arm to rest on her shoulders, wrapping it’s tail around her neck for support. “Now I do.”

Riley stood up and held out a hand. When Reina was comfortable with her balance, she adjusted her grip so she had his elbow instead of his hand. When they walked out, the Nurse Joy at the desk told them to be careful and come back in time for her lunch.

Riley took her out to the Iron Island’s rough terrain. He noticed her five other Pokemon following and watched them. He noticed they weren’t all that much different.

A Beautifly, Espeon, Meditite, Alakazam, and Chimchar. Riley suddenly recalled that she had more than that, but he didn’t mention it. After a bit, he felt Reina’s hand tug and he looked back at her. She’d stopped and her hand released his elbow.

She knelt down and crawled closer to a pit. She looked down and looked interested in something down there. Riley looked over her shoulder, wondering what was so interesting.

He saw a Pokemon at the bottom. Reina made a noise and the Pokemon looked up. It was a Heracross. She quickly turned around.

“Alakazam, use Psybeam and break the hole bigger.” She got up and walked over to Beautifly while Alakazam did as he was told. “Now, Beautiful, String Shot! Get that Heracross out of the hole. He must be hungry.”

Riley was slightly glad he’d decided to bring her bag. “Here. You might have something in this bag, I think.”

“Thank you, Riley.” She started digging through the bag and found some small Pokemon cubes that she thought would be best for Heracross. Beautifly put Heracross at her feet as she handed Riley back her bag. She knelt down and held the Heracross as she fed it. It just lay there, munching the food like it hadn’t eaten in years. “Better?”

It flapped it’s wings in approval.

“Good. Go on, there’s food around her somewhere. I’m sure you’ll find a bounty somewhere.” In a second, she had put it back on it’s own feet and let it go. She watched it stagger off and got up, dusting off her knees.

Riley just stared at her. Nobody was that kind to wild Pokemon. Well, except her, it seemed.

“If you help someone or something, it comes back to you when you least expect it.” Reina shrugged at Riley’s facial response. “It comes with time, I guess. Riley, you’re making me nervous. Is something on my face? Or my dress?” She looked at him and then down at her feet, a soft pink edging onto her cheeks.

Riley just gave a little laugh. “It’s just this kind of thing doesn’t usually happen. People try to capture Pokemon, not be nice to them. I’m just happy someone feels good about helping them besides me.”

Reina gave him a little pout before she looked surprised. She was looking behind Riley.

It was Paul.

He just glared at Riley. “What?” he asked Reina.

She gave him a little wave, her expression just as blank as his. The two of them just stared at each other. “What’re you doing here, Paul?”

“Reggie and I were worried about you. He should be here any moment.”

Riley’s heart sank into his boots again. That was right. She had someone. It looked as if she had friends. Friends that didn’t like him. “Hi.”

Paul crossed his arms. “Why is a sister of mine hanging out with a man who dresses in theater cloths?”

Reina gave a little noise of disapproval. “Paul, he’s the one who saved me. Be nice.”

Paul looked away. “Tch, right.”

Reggie came running up and stopped just behind Paul. He put his hands on his knees and tried to catch his breath. “Reina!”

Reina gave a little wave and grabbed Riley’s arm. “This is Riley. Riley, these are my brothers, Reggie and Paul.”

Riley had to do a double-take. Now that they were talking to each other face-to-face, he could see the resemblance.

Reina and Reggie strongly resembled each other and Paul kind of looked like them. It was obvious, now, that they were siblings. Reggie came over to Riley and held out his hand.

“Thank you. Reina’s a bit of a handful, but I’m sure you’ll be helpful to her.” Reggie smiled and Riley looked at his hand curiously. “Oh, guess you don’t shake hands, huh?”

Riley shook Reggie’s hand. “I just had a thought that I couldn’t shake, that’s all.”

Lucario came dashing down the walkway, it’s tail in the air and it’s eyes determined. Something was wrong. Lucario raised his paw and grabbed Riley’s arm, turned right back around and made a bee-line for the docks.

Reggie put his hands on his hips. “You have odd taste in men, Reina.”

Reina’s face changed colors and she punched the back of Reggie’s head. “Not what he’s there for!” She crossed her arms. “He’s a nice guy, yes, but I don’t approve of you making fun of him like that.”

Paul walked up beside Reina. He looked over his shoulder at Riley’s retreating back. “I don’t like him. There’s no way I’m going to accept him into this family.”

“Really? I like him.” Reggie smiled.

Reina covered her face. “This is why I don’t have a boyfriend, you know.”