Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Iron Royalty ❯ Chapter 7: Whispered Screams?! ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Riley and Reggie were both sitting outside the tent where Reina had just fallen asleep. Riley was leaned up against a heavy trunk and Reggie was propped on the edge of a metallic box that held some mining equipment.

“Hey, you’re a really nice guy, so, what are you doing here?” Reggie asked, poking through some of the equipment. “I mean, this is a research team and you’re not really a scientist or a miner or even a professor.”

“Well, to be honest, I volunteered to help.” Riley looked up at the violet and blue sky. “I pretty much live off the land here. I’ve been here for several months and I pretty much know everything.”

“Do you know what that light was?”

“Nope. But I have a guess.”

Reggie suddenly looked up. His eyes narrowed slightly. “If you say it’s a Pokemon’s doing, I’m going to shoot you.”

Riley sat up, stretching. “No, it’s definitely machines. My guess is someone’s come to see what we’re up to.” Riley looked at the sky again. “I was surprised, but Lucario and I didn’t find any traces of Pokemon. In the end, it was the precisely cut hole that gave it away. No Pokemon is that perfect.”

Reggie looked up as well. Just as they did, a huge, white column of white light erupted from somewhere in the distance.

By reaction, Riley stood up, his eyes wide. “Again?!”

Reina suddenly stumbled passed them. Espeon was tugging on Reina’s sleeve, as if trying to stop her. She stopped just outside the light of the tent. With a huge breath, she let out an almighty scream.

Reggie was worried and lunged forward. Covering her mouth, he gently pulled her back. After a second, Reina stumbled and clung to Reggie’s arm. “Reina, what happened?”

After a few huge breaths, she spoke. “I don’t know. I was dreaming. I remember nothing more than a bit of pain. It was like someone was drilling into my skull with an Agron.”

Riley pointed to the light. “Is that the same thing you saw?”

Reina’s silver eyes met the white light and she shook her head. “It’s hard to say, really. I don’t remember much more than the sound it made.” She scratched her cheek. “I, um, I’m sorry.”

Riley shook his head. “It’s okay. I just wanted to see if you knew anything.” He reached out and touched Reina’s head, ruffling her hair a bit.

Reggie just smiled and hugged Reina. “So long as you’re not hurt.” He handed her over to Riley. “Come on, let’s go inside.” He held the flap open for the two of them.

On the sofa, Paul was sleeping soundly. His right hand was tucked behind his head and the elbow made a dent in the backing. His left hand was resting on his stomach. His ankles were crossed on the armrest. He must have been extremely tired, because he didn’t even stir.

“How long has he been here?” Reggie asked, tossing a blanket over Paul.

“About fifteen minutes.” Reina smiled and slumped onto the floor, where a bunch of blankets were piled up for a bed. “He came to see me and I told him to sleep on the sofa. I’m not comfortable there.”

Riley looked at the mess of blankets and the cloths folded neatly on the coffee table. “Are these his?”

“No,” Reina said, trying to dig her pillow out. “Paul brought me a change of cloths. He said he bought them so I wouldn’t be walking around getting the chills or something like that. Ah!” She pulled her pillow to the top, fluffed it up, and settled into her bed. “G’night, boys.”

Riley smiled and gave a noise of acknowledgement. Reggie knelt down and kissed her forehead. The gauze had been replaced by a rather large band aid that covered the injury well.

Riley heard Espeon’s cry of worry and looked down. Espeon was looking up at him with the eyes of someone who worried for a loved one. It was a gentle tone, but the way Espeon’s ears were down and it’s tail was low.

Reggie gave a little click of his tongue. “You worry too much. Oh, that reminds me, Espeon. Paul brought this guy back for you.” Reggie rolled a Pokeball to Espeon.

It was like an instantaneous reaction. Espeon’s ears sprang up and it’s tail swayed high above. It just nudged the ball.

A Swellow jumped out and soared above their heads in the tent. It landed beside Reina’s sleeping form and looked at Espeon. Espeon actually lunged at the Swellow and tackled it.

“AH!” Riley went to stop them, but Reggie made a gesture for him to stop. “But they’ll hurt each other.”

“No, it’s fine.” Reggie just picked up Swellow and Espeon and tossed them outside. “They train together. It was them trying to practice their battle techniques. They’re training buddies, I guess.”

Riley was about to object to their training when Reina made a noise and Paul and her both shifted. The two of them were now on their sides and looked at peace with themselves. Riley closed his mouth and sat on the floor at the foot of Reina’s make-shift bed.

"By the way, Reina's eyes have been glued to you since I got here. Anything I should know about?"

Riley's face changed colors faster than the beam of light disappeared just now. "I don't know. I think she might be into me, but it's hard to say."

"Aha! Well, we're all Reina's got, so, be nice and we'll let you have her." Reggie gave a broad grin and held his hand out as if to say he was joking. "Reina's hard to please. You should take her for walks. She likes walking in the afternoons, when there's nothing to do." He got up and left the tent.

Riley looked at Reina's body and touched his side where bandages had been wrapped. Well, if he was into her, he had the sore spots to prove it....