Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Iron Royalty ❯ Chapter 8: Reunion of Two ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
It was roughly noon when Ash and company came by to see Riley. He was training with Lucario when they came by. He didn't really seem to have noticed them, as he and Lucario followed the flow of their exercise without a pause.

"Hello. I see you've gotten here after everyone's gone. Would you like a seat?" Riley asked, without turning around, and he made a smooth transition into a softer routine.

Reina came wandering up. She wore a long, lavender rain coat, purple pants, and electric blue shoes. It was the cloths Paul had brought her. She seemed to have spotted the trio and gave a little wave. She didn't smile, probably because she didn't know them.

Then, Brock was holding her hand. "Fair maiden made of begemed beauty, would you ever care to show me your smile? Bring this world it's beauty and show all the world your--!"

Two fists made Brock go spinning over Crogunk's head. Reggie gave a weak laugh and scratched the back of his head. "Sorry 'bout that."

Paul gave Brock one more glare and turned away.

Ash and Dawn looked shocked. Paul had never saved anyone but himself!

He marched up to Reina and grabbed her wrist. "What did I tell you about that?! Do you never remember anything we tell you?!"

Brock was behind Paul and stared at the two. "Have I missed something here?"

Reggie stepped in the way. "No, nothing. Look, um, just run along and talk to Riley. Um, it's nothing serious, really. So, um, yeah."

Ash poked around Brock. "Hey, wait, she looks like you! No way, Paul's got a sister?!" He smiled brightly. "That explains some things." He waved at Paul. "Hey, um, not to sound annoying, but, um, is it possible that you have a sister complex?"

Paul wheeled around and was about to say something when Reina and Reggie covered his mouth so he struggled with them. Reina sighed when Paul finally gave up. "Please, don't say anything like that. Paul doesn't like it." She pointed her finger at Paul's nose. "Stop that! Don't be so mean to people who want t be your friends, Paul."

Paul snapped at her. "No! He's a complete piece of--!"

"Paul!" Reggie and Reina said.

"What?! He is." Paul crossed his arms. "Besides, you're both old and probably just as--"

Reina put Paul in a choke hold and didn't let go until he tapped her elbow. "Stop that. I don't think you'd be so strange if you had the same problem. Besides, you have the time to travel where you please at least."

Paul looked up at Reina. "What...."

Reggie grabbed Paul at that moment and started for the tents. "Look, let's just all head back so we don't disturb the reunion of those four."

Reina watched them go before turning to Riley. "They just wanted to know what you were doing. I was sent on that job. Anyways, don't forget to come back soon. They're expecting you." She gave him a little bow and looked at the trio.

And smiled.

Brock's face changed colors. Ash and Dawn stared in awe. It was like seeing a female Reggie when she did that. She had a nice face, nice features, but wasn't outstandingly beautiful. It was more like she had a beauty that you rarely saw.

A plain beauty with a kind smile.

Riley just waved and turned to the trio. He saw them all still gawking after her and he chuckled. "I see I'm not the only one who's infatuated with that strange beau. So, what brings you back to Iron Island, my friends?"

Ash took a seat on one of the crates of supplies. "Well, we heard there was something strange happening on Iron Island and we decided to come see what it was, since it was making a few of the Iron-type Pokemon react like they were in pain."

Riley stood up straight and looked thoughtfully at Ash. "As in painful memories? Or painful attacks to their bodies?"

"Physically attacked," Brock inquired. He was leaned up against one of the remaining trucks that carted things back and forth. "They always happen when something or someone hurts or slightly injures them. We're not sure how it happens, but it scares the trainers who have it happen to them."

"Strange. When did they start occurring?"

"About a week ago," Dawn said. "A friend of ours, Barry, he said his Empolion was starting to act up like he did on Iron Island, but it hasn't gotten serious yet."

Riley added it up and suddenly looked in the direction of the research team. The beam of light was about a week prior. Had that had something to do with it? His mind raced through possibilities and he quickly made haste for the team's current location, taking the trio with him.

When they got there, he was just in time to witness one of the beams himself.

It was a small glow in the crater, but it slowly began to build. Before Riley could even blink, the light became a beam to the sky. Riley watched it go up and saw it angle once it passed the clouds. As he watched it go, he had the sensation of electricity pulsating in his bones. He went down on one knee and knew now why Reina could hardly remember.

The electric feeling was strong, but Riley was able to push back with aura and it certainly helped to ease the pain. When the beam was gone, Riley felt the electrical feeling vanish. He slowly stood up, to test if his balance was stable. Once he was up, he was sure he was fine.

Reina stood on the edge of the crater when Riley found her. The research team had hooked her up to some kind of machine and they were going over her readings. She was teetering towards the crater and was about to fall when Riley grabbed her around the waist and hoisted her back to where the seat was.

She was sleep walking, it was obvious. Reina finally opened her eyes and jumped a mile when she saw Riley right in front of her. "Hi. What?"

Riley shook his head and knelt beside her. "Are you alright? Nothing serious, right?"

"No, just the same feeling as before." Reina shivered and Riley just smiled, holding her hand.

He had that sensation again. It had only happened when he'd taken her for a walk, but he felt a nice warm, calm, almost safe feeling. Reina wasn't aware of it, but Riley was sure it was because of her that he had this feeling.

---Paul---

He glowered from behind the rock as he watched Riley unhook Reina from her machine and he punched the rock. Reggie gently touched his hand. "How can he do that? Why won't she tell him off, Reggie?"

"She's a good girl. She doesn't want to tell him off. Paul, has it ever dawned on you that Reina knows what she's doing?" Reggie sounded like he was hurt by Paul's inability to let his sister go and find someone and be happy. "Paul, please, just be nice to this one man. Let her at least be loved by someone. Show dad he was wrong, that Reina still has the capability to love, even if it's just this one time."

Paul closed his eyes and bowed his head. He reached out and grabbed Reggie's sleeve. "I hate it when you're right."

Reggie smiled. "Let's leave them be. C'mon."

As they left, Paul looked back and saw Reina was refusing Riley's offer to be carried. She was her own strength and that made her special. Paul had always seen Reina's plain beauty. Maybe it was time someone else saw it, too.