Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Just to Satisfy ❯ Retreat ( Chapter 29 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not claim any of the Pokemon characters used in this chapter, because they are all property of Satoshi Tajiri and I haven't stolen the rights from him yet. I bet he has people try that all the time, actually; probably has to have bodyguards and stuff.
 
 
.
 
 
Medicham squinted to try to make the objects around her clearer, cursing the nocturnal pokemon that could see at night. If only Gengar was here . . . Then again, she was tailing him, so it would defeat the purpose to reveal herself; she would just have to deal with stumbling along after the ghost for as long as it took to figure out where he went those nights he disappeared from the base. She hadn't been suspicious before the Sky Tower incident when he had suddenly disappeared, but now things were so strange around here that she couldn't let this opportunity pass her by. What started at first as, she thought, a simple way to bother the fox more than usual suddenly spiraled out of control, and she didn't like being left in the dark-figuratively and literally. If her serpentine companion knew anything, his lips were sealed on the matter, so she decided to take things into her own hands and do a little investigating herself. Now, if only he didn't go through so many branches . . . then again, he is a ghost . . .
 
She was careful when peeling the branches back so they didn't whip into place and cause a ruckus, but it certainly slowed her down. Toying with the idea that he knew he was being followed, she quickly dismissed it as paranoia and continued her quiet pursuit of her leader right to the outskirts of the trees. Where the tree line stopped abruptly, she did too, and she peered out from behind the shelter of a wide trunk to watch with coal-like eyes narrowed in suspicion. What's he doing at that brat's base? I don't see a light on . . . Afraid of getting caught, she remained where she was and examined the windows for movement, but there was no sign of life inside the eevee-shaped hut. Confused, it was only when she noticed shadows moving across the ground that she realized someone was on the roof.
 
Glancing up to examine the faint sliver of the moon that barely illuminated the land, Medicham squinted her eyes to try to discern the figures on the rooftop. The spike-adorned blob was easy to recognize, but it took a bit longer for her to make out the shape of the black fox sitting beside him calmly-but it shouldn't have surprised her, considering this was Kitty's base. Who else would be sitting on the roof? She had heard of the fox's affinity with climbing, and so she wondered what caused the umbreon to share her personal space with Gengar. She's not exactly friendly towards him after that whistle incident . . . Desperately wanting to know what they were doing up there, she took one step towards them before the snapping of a dry twig caused her to freeze in place-a twig beneath her foot. Just my luck.
 
When it didn't seem like they had noticed the sound, the fighter glanced down to examine the broken twig and found something else of interest in the moist dirt: A collection of four footprints dug deep into the ground in a cluster, as if the creature was in the middle of a run and preparing to jump. Claw marks on a tree nearby hinted to the trespasser going into hiding among the branches, but nothing above her hinted to her solitude being broken. Leaning down to look at it more closely, she traced three claws in the front of the paw and what looked to be another two on the back, although it didn't seem to sit right when she imagined the foot in her mind. Using her limited knowledge on the footprints of pokemon she knew, she could only come to the conclusion that she wasn't the only one interested in Gengar's connection to Kitty-or, perhaps more appropriately, Kitty's connection to Gengar. Snapping her gaze back to the pair on the roof, she glared at the figure beside her leader's and silently cursed her own lack of knowledge on the situation.
 
I'll figure this out, whether Gengar wants me to know or not-with or without Ekans' help.
 
Knowing she couldn't do much else at the moment, she reluctantly retreated to go back home and relay the information to the snake in hopes he would loosen his scaly lips and assist her.
 
 
.
 
 
Theme: Dark
 
Lots of dragon-y love (and cookies!),
~DL (“Dragon Lover”)