Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Pokemon-Episode 1:Affair with the Gang ❯ Chapter 1:The Journey Begins ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 1:The Journey Begins
In the town of Littleroot, the crows of a Dodrio echoed through the air. Josh jumped out of his bed, eagerly awaiting for the surprises the day had for him. Josh came from a poor family, but he had a happy life. He went downstairs into the kitchen and greeted his Combusken, which had evolved from a Torchic that his parents gave him for his tenth birthday "Hey, Combusken."
"Combusken!"
Josh proceeded to wash the dishes. His mom came into the kitchen. "Josh, let me get those, honey. You go on and play with your Pokemon."
"Mom, I'm seventeen. I don't play anymore. Besides, you need me to help you. This family barley gets enough money as it is."
Then Josh's dad stepped into the kitchen. "Josh, we know that you have a sense of duty to help us, but your mom and I have been thinking. We think it is time for you to become a trainer."
"Dad, I'm already a trainer."
"I mean you should go out and take the gym challenge. Your mom and I can take care of ourselves."
"But, Dad..."
"No buts, Josh. Now go and be sure to pack some food."
"Dad..."
"End of discussion, Josh. Now go. Make us proud." Josh went and packed some food and put his Combusken in its pokeball. He went out the door and headed towards Route 101. Before he could leave the town however, Professor Birch stopped him. "Josh, wait! Huff...Huff...Whew! Josh I wanted to give you these." He handed him five pokeballs. "Ah, I also want you to have this." He gave Josh a Pokedex.
"Thanks, Professor Birch. I don't know what to say."
"You don't need to say anything, Josh. You just go and do good." Josh thanked Professor Birch again and headed towards the grassy area. He encountered a wild Zigzagoon and decimated it with Combusken's Double Kick. He reached the neighbor town of Oldale. He dicided to go to rout 103 to catch a Wingull. He met several Zigzagoons and Poochyenas, which he disposed of with Combusken's Double Kick. Finally he met a Wingull. Josh opened the Pokedex. "Wingull, the Seagull Pokemon. It makes its nest on a sheer cliff at the edge of the sea. It has trouble keeping its wings flapping in flight. Instead, it soars on updrafts."
"Awesome," Josh said. "Combusken, Scratch!"
"Combuskeeeeen!" Combusken ran up to the Wingull and scratched it, making it faint. "Dang!" Josh said. "I guess its too strong. Oh, well. I'm just gonna have to try again." Josh wandered through the grass for a while more. He had to go through several more Zigzagoons and Poochyenas before he met another Wingull. "Ok, let's try a different approach. Combusken, Ember!"
"Commmm,busekeeeen!" it cried as a bright orange jet of intense flame shot out of its mouth. The Wingull got caught in the middle of the attack, but it was still able to barely keep itself from collapsing by shooting a stream of water into the flames. "Ok, now let's try the pokeball." Josh hurled a pokeball at it and the Wingull disappeared into it in a bright red glow. The ball shook several times, but it was able to contain the Wingull. "Alright! Good job, Combusken."
"Combusken!" it said with joy.
"Well, let's go heal our new friend." Josh said. Josh headed back to Oldale. After he healed his Wingull, he headed for Route 102. There, he met a trainer. "Stop!" the trainer cried.
"Who are you?" Josh asked, puzzled.
"My name's Caleb. I'm a trainer, and from the looks of it, so are you. Well, what do you say to a battle?"
"Sure, why not?" Josh agreed.
"Go, Wurmple!" Caleb said. A bright pink caterpillar popped out of the ball.
"Wurmplllle!" it cried.
"A Wurmple, huh. Ok, then. Go, Wingull!" Josh shouted. He threw the ball and Wingull emerged, ready for battle. "Ok, Wingull, let's see how you do. Water Gun!"
"Wingullll!" It let out a stream of water that hit the Wurmple. The Wurmple flew back and cried out in pain. It got back up and Tackled Wingull. Wingull teetered a bit, but regained its balance. "OK, Wingull. One more Water Gun!"
"Win, gullllll!" Another stream of water shot out of its beak and hit the Wurmple, making it faint.
"Dang!" Caleb cried out in dismay. "Well, that was a good fight. I guess I'll catch you later, rookie!"
Josh let out a laugh. Then he went on his way through Route 102. After walking for a while, he reached Petalburg City. He headed towards the gym, where Norman waited. He entered the gym and walked up to Norman. "Are you the leader of this gym?" he asked.
"Yes, and you are?" he replied.
"My name is Josh."
"And where are you from, Josh?"
"Littleroot."
"Ha. Well, I wouldn't suggest taking me on just yet. I'm too tough for you. You should head to Rustboro and challenge Roxanne. Unless, you feel you can take me on."
"Hmm...Well, can you show me your pokemon's strength?"
"Very well. Come out Slaking!" Slaking popped out of the ball and let out a big yawn. It scratched its stomach and started to roll around. "Slaking, Focus Punch that statue!" Slaking rolled over to a statue of a Jigglypuff and raised its fist. It started to glow red.
"Slaking!" It let its fist fly and crushed the statue into dust. Josh stared in awe. "Well, I guess you're right. Ok, I'll head for Rustboro. Until next time, Norman." Josh exited the gym, and as he opened the door, a sudden gust of air blew through, carrying the dust particles of the Jigglypuff statue into the outside air. He headed for Petalburg Woods. Along the way, he met another trainer. "Hey, you!" she addressed him.
"Uh, yeah?"
"You a trainer?"
"Yeah."
"Well then, I challenge you to a battle!"
"Ok."
"Go, Zigzagoon!" The trainer let fly a pokeball and out of it came a Zigzagoon.
"Go, Wingull!" Wingull popped out of its ball and hovered in the air. "Wingull, Water Gun!" Wingull let out a stream of water. The Zigzagoon let out a cry of pain, and retaliated with a Tackle. Wingull was knocked back. "Wingull, another Water Gun!" Wingull let another stream of water fly, but the Zigzagoon dodged it. It Tackled Wingull and knocked it out. "Darn. Ok, Wingull, return!" Josh said. Wingull returned to its ball and Josh sent out his Combusken. "Combusken, Double Kick!" Combusken ran toward the Zigzagoon and landed two swift kicks.
"Zigzagooooooon!" the pokemon cried. It flew back and landed next to its trainer. It staggered back to its feet, but it couldn't keep its balance. It fell onto its side, exhausted from the kicks. "Grr. Zigzagoon, return!" commanded its trainer. Zigzagoon went back into its ball in a flash of red light. "Hmm. I guess you were too strong for me."
"Well, you still defeated my Wingull."
"Yeah, 'cause I'm that good."
Josh let out a sigh and shook his head. Then he headed for Petalburg Woods.