Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Team Rocket Strikes Back! An AAML Story ❯ Chapter 7: Return to Johto ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 7: Return to Johto
 
As this chapter opens, on one boat, Team Rocket is zooming off to the Johto region with another boat closing on their position. Ash, Misty, Brock, and Duplica are looking at a radar screen on Marin's boat.
 
Duplica: That must be them! (Pointing at a cluster of dots in their direct path) What are those?
 
Marin: Don't know. I don't think they're watching their radar; there aren't any islands over there. Maybe it's the Johto navy. I'm going to the radio and I'll see whom that is. (Picking up radio microphone) Ships in sector 07; this is Marin from Shimouti Island. Can you identify yourselves, over.
 
Voice: (Coming over the speaker) This is Commander Lang of the Johto Navy force. We're on patrol in the area- there has been a lot of activity in the area recently. Team Rocket may be on the move again. You're moving at a high rate of speed, are you chasing after something- over.
 
Marin: (Speaking into the microphone) Yes, we are. The boat directly ahead of us may have the Team Rocket agents who caused those four bombings in the Kanto region. We got this information from a reliable source, over.
 
Commander Lang: (Voice coming through the speaker) We'll check it out. We just got a fax from the Kanto region, saying that Team Rocket may be in the area. Our navy force will check it out- your boat should either turn a different direction, or dock with one of our ships, in case it gets ugly, over.
 
Marin: (Speaking into the microphone) Roger that. We'll dock with you then. Send me coordinates for the ship you want us to go to, over.
 
A beep is heard. Marin flips a switch and the boat changes direction. The autopilot is now bringing the boat over to the Johto Navy force.
 
Ash: What ship are we going to dock with?
 
Marin: The lead vessel, the Gyrados. Hang on; I'm cutting the turbo engines off.
 
The ship lurches as the boat experiences a sudden loss of speed. Marin's boat is soon in sight of the Gyrados. Docking maneuvers are implemented; Marin's ship is brought up and stored inside of the Gyrados. Soon all five travelers are on the Gyrados, the ship kicks up its engines and is now in hot pursuit of Team Rockets boat.
 
Author Note: The Gyrados is a navy ship that looks like an U.S. Navy Destroyer, so you can picture what I am talking about here.
 
On the Team Rocket vessel...
 
Jessie: (Suddenly noticing the radar screen) (Very concerned) Uh-oh. I think someone is following us...
 
James: More like several people. (Points at the radar screen) It looks like they're closing on us. (Panics) What will we do, Jess? We can't be caught... who knows what they'll do to us.
 
Meowth: I'll call the boss. (Picks up the cell phone and calls Giovanni) Hi, boss. Dis is Meowth. We're in the sea south of Johto; it looks like there are several boats in hot pursuit of us. We need some help, please...
 
Giovanni: (On the other end of the line) We have a submarine in the area, which was waiting to strike a target when I implement the "Hostile Takeover" plan. I can divert it to your position. I will set your boat to fire on those pursuing ships, then your boat will self-destruct. No evidence will remain, and they'll think you committed suicide or were killed in the explosion. The submarine will then take you to our Johto base. Call me when you get there. Got all of that, Meowth?
 
Meowth: Got it, boss. We'll talk to you soon. (Turns off the phone) Listen up. The boss wants us to go on a sub that he's sending over, and then the boat will fire on those ships that are following us. The boat will then self-destruct.
 
James: (Curious) A submarine? Did he say who was in it?
 
Meowth: Nope. I guess we'll soon find out. (Getting nervous) I hope that submarine hurries up... (Looks at the boats that are closing in the distance)
 
Jessie speaks a few moments later, after seeing the blinking dots on the radar screen get closer and closer.
 
Jessie: (Very nervous) Where is that sub at? Those ships are almost in visual range.
 
James: Did you switch to underwater view? (Pushes a button) Oh, there it is! (Excited) It's right below us!
 
A submarine surfaces next to Team Rocket's boat and speeds along parallel to it. A hatch on the submarine opens up and a voice yells out.
 
Voice: Get in here, now! We have to get underwater and dive quickly, so we aren't detected. Move!
 
James: Come on, Jessie, Meowth- let's go.
 
Meowth, Jessie, and James climb off of the boat and descend into a Team Rocket submarine. The submarine quickly dives to avoid detection. The now unmanned boat starts to speed ahead even faster, the engines now going into overdrive. The cannon on the back of the boat auto-loads itself and prepares to fire on the incoming ships.
 
On the bridge of the Gyrados, Commander Lang spots the ship with his binoculars.
 
Commander Lang: Prepare to dock with that boat and capture the occupants.
 
Bridge Officer 1: Got it, sir. (Noticing the radar screen) It appears that the ship is speeding up, sir. We'll still catch it, though.
 
Commander Lang: Good. Prepare a boarding party.
 
On the deck of the Gyrados- Ash. Misty, Brock, Duplica, and Marin are scanning the sea ahead of the ship, watching for Team Rocket's ship.
 
Misty: I see them! Look, over there! (Points her finger at a small figure on the horizon)
 
Brock: I'm sure they can't outrun this ship...
 
A loud bang is heard, along with an explosion on the deck just 100 feet away from where Brock and the rest of the group are. All five people hit the deck.
 
Ash: What was that?
 
Duplica: Are they attacking the Gyrados? They must be nuts. One hit from this ship will blow that boat outta the water.
 
Misty: They must be nuts...
 
On the bridge of the Gyrados- Commander Lang is trying to figure out what to do.
 
Commander Lang: Status report.
 
Bridge Officer 2: We've been hit with a grenade on the main deck, minor damage in the aft section. No one was hurt, but that explosion was awfully close to those five people we just picked up. I recommend that they be brought to the bridge or another safe location on the ship, sir.
 
Commander Lang: (Thinks for a second, then responds) Bring them up here. Those idiots on that boat must have a death wish, to try and pick a fight with a Johto Destroyer. Send a message over the speakers; telling them to stop and surrender, otherwise, we'll have to fire on them.
 
Bridge Officer 1: Got it, sir. I'm sending the message now.
 
As the message is sent over the speakers, the boat auto-loads another grenade and launches it at the Gyrados, hitting the main deck again and starting a small fire.
 
Commander Lang: (Yelling) Fire teams to the main deck! Prepare to return fire.
 
Ash and Misty enter the bridge, followed close behind by Marin, Duplica, and Brock. Pikachu is on Ash's shoulder, looking very scared.
 
Commander Lang: I'm Commander Lang, welcome to the bridge. Your "friends" over there have fired on us twice, and they aren't responding to the surrender message I just sent. I have no choice but fire back- they can't escape.
 
Bridge Officer 2: We're within 200 feet of the boat, sir.
 
Commander Lang: Open fire with the forward batteries!
 
At this moment, Giovanni, who has been controlling the boat via remote control from his base, suddenly cuts the engine power to the vessel. The shots from the Gyrados fly over the boat and explode in the water, totally missing it. Two seconds later, the Gyrados is mere yards from the Team Rocket boat.
 
Giovanni: This will really teach them. (Pushes a button on the remote) So much for that ship- it doesn't matter, really. One lost boat compared to the confusion that the explosion will cause for them and the rest of the Johto region- perfect for my next phase.
 
The Team Rocket boat self-destructs, sending a shock wave and shards of material into the Gyrados, which causes the ship to lurch to starboard suddenly.
 
On the bridge of the Gyrados, everyone is thrown to the ground. Commander Lang gets up immediately and asks...
 
Commander Lang: What happened? Status report!
 
Bridge Officer 1: The ship we chasing... it just exploded! Minor damage to the port hull.
 
Commander Lang: All stop! Bring us back to the explosion site. Have diving teams ready. I want to see if anyone was on that ship.
 
Bridge Officer 1: Aye, aye sir.
 
Ash: Do you think they blew themselves up? They didn't seem like a suicidal bunch to me.
 
Commander Lang: I don't know. We'll check it out.
 
After a short time, the Gyrados returns to the explosion site. Dive teams are dispactched, and find no trace of any person or Pokemon being on that vessel. Back on the bridge of the Gyrados...
 
Commander Lang: (To the group of five travelers) It appears that no one was on the vessel, which means they escaped somehow. Our fleet is going to spread out and search the area. We'll contact you if we find anything. You can continue on your journey.
 
Misty: Thank you. We have to discuss our next destination; we'll let you know as soon as we're ready to disembark.
 
Commander Lang: Take your time, just let me know. (Goes back to work, talking to various officers and looking at different reports)
 
Misty: Come on, let's go out to the deck and decide what were going to do. (All five travelers and Pikachu leave the bridge and go outside)
 
Ash: Any ideas, guys?
 
Marin: I was going to go back to the Orange Islands, but I can give you a lift to wherever you want to go.
 
Brock: Team Rocket got away somehow... the navy here will take care of it. I don't think there is anything we can do...
 
Duplica: I'm sure they'll be back... but where?
 
Misty: I think we should go over to New Bark Town, talk to Professor Elm, and see if there has been any activity in this region. They had to be heading this way for a reason.
 
Ash: Sounds good to me, we can't help them out here anyway. Can you drop us off, Marin?
 
Marin: (Smiles) Sure, no problem. I'll go talk to Commander Lang and my boat will be up and running in no time. (Walks back onto the bridge)
 
Brock: Well, I guess, they got away again...
 
Duplica: (Squeezes Brock's hand) Don't worry, we'll find 'em.
 
Ash: (Enthusiastic) That's right! If they're out there, we'll find them!
 
Pikachu: PI-ka!
 
Marin returns to the group, walking over from the bridge.
 
Marin: Commander Lang said to go back to the launch area and get the boat ready. Let's go!
 
All five of the group and Pikachu walk down to the launch deck. After a short bit of preparation, the boat is launched and Marin's boat zips over the water towards New Bark Town. Meanwhile, in Team Rocket's submarine... in a dark room, just below the main hatch...
 
Jessie: (Fumbling in the dark) Where's the light switch?
 
James: Don't know Jessie. They had us get on the sub and descend to this room. You find any switches, Meowth?
 
Meowth: Nope.
 
A crack of light appears as a door slowly starts to open.
 
Meowth: Hello... is anyone there?
 
Voice: Come forward.
 
Jessie: (Frightened) O... k...
 
Jessie, James, and Meowth walk forward and open the door. They gaze upon the room they have just entered. Switches and dials are everywhere. There are three seats up in the front of the room, situated in the center by a large view screen. The center chair suddenly turns around, revealing a young woman in a Team Rocket uniform.
 
Domino: Welcome to the bridge. I'm sure you've heard of me before, the Black Tulip a.k.a. Domino. I'm surprised the boss wanted to save you three... failure after failure, except of course, for those bombings.
 
Author note: Same Domino from Mewtwo Strikes Back. Remember, her and Giovanni had their memories wiped by Mewtwo, so she only knows the trio by reputation.
 
James: (Angry) That's right! We're actually doing something right, that's why the boss wanted us saved!
 
Jessie: We've given up trying to get that Pikachu... waste of time.
 
Meowth: Payback time for those meddlers!
 
Domino: Orders are orders. You should know that the next phase of our plan involves taking over key Pokemon areas in this area and in Kanto. The boss wants to get some more Pokemon to train for Team Rocket, and to take over areas rich in Pokemon, so we'll have a base for the next phase... in this area, we're going to take over and set up bases in some forested areas NE of Olivine City. That's where we're going now. (Turns around) Helmsman, take us to the Olivine base as quickly as possible.
 
The helmsman, who is in the left front seat, pushes a few buttons and sets the course.
 
Domino: Why don't you three go downstairs and get something to eat, we don't need famished people working on this next assignment. Take those stairs to the bottom. (Points to stairs on the port side of the bridge) My cook will give you something. I'll inform you when we get there.
 
Meowth: Got yah! Let's get some grub.
 
James: Count me in. Come on, Jess.
 
Jessie, James, and Meowth go downstairs and enjoy a light meal. The submarine continues towards Olivine City. A few hours later, in New Bark Town, Marin says goodbye as she drops off her passengers and returns home.
 
Ash, Misty, Brock, and Duplica head over to Professor Elm's place and knock on the door.
 
Professor Elm: (Opening door) Who's there?
 
Ash: Its Ash Ketchum from Pallet Town, I'm sure you remember me.
 
Prof. Elm: Oh, yes. How are you doing?
 
Ash: I'm ok. These are my friends Misty, Brock, and Duplica. We were just chasing after Team Rocket with the Johto navy, but they disappeared. Have you seen any suspicious activity in the area?
 
Prof. Elm: Really? You were out chasing Team Rocket? I could see why you guys would want to get them, since they destroyed your hometowns and bombed other places. There is nothing-suspicious going on here. Professor Oak was looking for you- maybe you should give him a call. Come in.
 
All five people walk into Prof. Elm's lab. Ash goes right to the phone, while Brock, Duplica, and Misty have a seat on a couch. Professor Elm speaks to the trio on the couch.
 
Prof. Elm: Do you guys want something to drink?
 
Brock: Sure.
 
Duplica: Yeah.
 
Misty: Sounds good.
 
Prof. Elm: I'll be right back. (Leaves the room)
 
Prof. Elm goes to his kitchen to get some soda pop for his guests. He returns and serves the pop to a grateful Misty, Brock, and Duplica. Ash is at the same time dialing Professor Oak to speak to him.
 
Ash: (Dialing Prof. Oak's number into the telephone) I hope he's home... (Video screen pops up, shows a blank screen for a moment, then shows a picture of Prof. Oak) How are you doing, Professor? Professor Elm said you were looking for me.
 
Prof. Oak: (On the other end of the line) Yes, I was. Team Rocket struck Tracy's hometown as well. I tried to get a hold of you guys, but I got no answer. (Ash sweat drops at the mention of this)
 
Ash: (Nervous) Uhh... we must of turned the Pokedexs off earlier. Sorry about that.
 
Prof. Oak: No problem. You don't have to turn them off to save power, just put them in standby mode, the batteries will last for quite a while. A warning light will come on when there is 25% power or less remaining in the batteries.
 
Ash: Got it, Professor. Where's Tracy at? Did he go back to his hometown after the bombing?
 
Prof. Oak: Yeah, he went back to his hometown to see what happened and how bad the damage was. Team Rocket is really getting out of control here. (Sighs) What is the world coming to? Anyway, did you find Team Rocket?
 
Ash: (Excitedly) Well... we found their boat speeding away from the Orange Island area and we gave chase in Marin's boat, which we were on. We almost caught up with them when we ran into the Johto navy. They picked us up and we went in a real Johto destroyer. It was so neat...
 
Prof. Oak: Then what happened?
 
Ash: It was weird. Their boat started to fire at us, then Commander Lang had it shot down. We stopped and investigated the site, and there were no bodies, Team Rocket just disappeared...
 
Prof. Oak: (Puzzled) How in the world did they get out of that one? There were no other boats nearby, right?
 
Ash: Nope. The navy fanned out around the area, and found nothing at all.
 
Prof. Oak: That is quite odd. What are you guys going to do next?
 
Ash: Well, I don't know yet. I talked to Professor Elm, he said there was nothing-suspicious going on around here, and so I don't know what to do next. I'll ask my friends what they want to do.
 
Prof. Oak: Sounds good. One more thing, Ash. Your mom was wondering about you. You should call her after you've decided what your doing next, ok? I have to get going; all of the Pokemon need to be fed. Talk to you later. (Hangs up the phone, the video screen in front of Ash goes blank, and closes)
 
Ash walks over to where his friends are sitting, and has a seat next to Misty.
 
Prof. Elm: What did Professor Oak want?
 
Ash: He was just wondering how we were doing and where we were. He said that Tracy went back to his hometown to see what happened...
 
Misty: (Putting her hand on Ash's) Ash, what are we going to do now?
 
Ash: That's what I wanted to ask of you guys.
 
Brock: Well, we could, since we're here, go to Blackthorn City. Ash still needs the eighth Johto badge, and we can't just sit around doing nothing.
 
Duplica: (Smiling) Brock's right. Why don't we go to Blackthorn City, and keep an eye out for anything suspicious. We can't stop living our lives because of Team Rocket. Hopefully, we'll run into some trainers along the way, I would like to battle again...
 
Brock: (Putting his arm around Duplica) I'm sure they'll be some people to battle against- I know you'll win, too. (Duplica blushes)
 
Duplica: (Sweetly) Brock... thanks. As long as you're there cheering me on, I'll be ok.
 
Misty: (Looking at Ash) Sounds like a plan to me. We gotta get Ash here his last badge, so he can enter the Johto championships.
 
Ash: (Excited) Yeah... that would be great! It would put me one step closer to being a true Pokemon master!
 
Prof. Elm: Well, its sounds like you guys know what you're going to do next. I'll let you know if I get any information on Team Rocket, or see anything suspicious.
 
Ash: (Standing up) Well, let's go! We've got a long way to go!
 
Misty: (Standing up) Relax, Ash. We're in no hurry. (Puts her hand on her stomach) Why don't we go into town and get something to eat? I'm hungry...
 
Brock: Me too. (Noise of a stomach grumbling is suddenly heard)
 
Duplica: (Having a sweatdrop) I guess it's unanimous...
 
Prof. Elm: I'll tell you guys where you can get a good meal...
 
Professor Elm tells the group about a little restaurant in New Bark Town that has great home cooked meals. After learning of the restaurant's location, the group heads out and grabs a bite to eat. In another part of the Johto region, a submarine has docked with an underwater base near Olivine City...
 
The crew of the submarine quickly file off of the boat into the base, traveling down a long corridor connecting the dock to the main base. At the end of the corridor is the main control room, which is filled with computers and staffed by Team Rocket personnel, awaits the crew.
 
A few minutes after the crew unloads, the four remaining passengers leave the submarine.
 
Domino: (In commanding tone of voice) Follow me. We're going to the command center, where the next phase of the operation will be commencing soon. (Starts to walk down the corridor)
 
Meowth: Well, come on you two. Let's go.
 
James: All right. Let's see what the boss has planned...
 
Jessie: Yeah, I wanna see what his plans are for this region...
 
Jessie, James, and Meowth walk down the corridor, following Domino. They soon enter the main control room.
 
Meowth: (Looking around) Wow, whatta room! This must have cost a lot to build!
 
James: Yeah. This whole base must have cost a fortune...
 
Domino: It was a major expense, but has proved it has proven its worth time and time again. The next phase will be starting soon, and this base is a major operation center for the Johto region. (Starts to yell out orders) You three will help out here until the operation leaders get here. Get to work!
 
Jessie, James, and Meowth are assigned to help at different stations by Domino. A few minutes later, Domino addresses the personnel in the main control center.
 
Domino: The operation leaders will be here in one week; I want all departments to have their plans and personnel ready!
 
All of the personnel quickly get back to work, to avoid Domino's wrath. Back in New Bark Town region, Ash and company have finished eating dinner and are walking on the road to Blackthorn City. They pass through a forested area and are on the edge of a clearing...
 
Duplica: (To Brock) That place was good for dinner, but it still doesn't beat your cooking.
 
Brock: (Blushing) Uhh... thanks...
 
Misty: (Noticing the setting sun) It's going to be dark soon, we should start looking for a place to camp out for the night.
 
Ash: Misty is right, let's stop. We have a long way to go, and Pokemon masters need their rest. (Pointing up the road) There's a good spot.
 
The group set up camp in the clearing, and Brock sets up a campfire. Misty and Ash go and get firewood, while Duplica helps to set up the tents. Misty returns short while later with some firewood.
 
Brock: (Scratching his head) Where's Ash?
 
Misty: Ash is calling his mom; he said that he forgot to call her earlier today. (Throws the firewood into the pit that Brock has dug) Let's get this fire going! It's starting to get cold...
 
Brock, Misty, and Duplica start the campfire while Ash is talking to his mother on the phone.
 
Ash: (Talking into the phone) Mom, you there?
 
Delia: (Happy) Oh, hi, honey! How are you doing?
 
Ash: I'm fine. Everyone else is good. I'm sorry, I forgot to call you earlier, and Professor Oak said that you wanted to talk to me.
 
Delia: I heard about your little "adventure" with the Johto navy. You guys are really getting around... (Pauses) ...anyway, what are you going to do next, Ash?
 
Ash: (Excitedly) Well, we're on our way to Blackthorn City right now, so I can face the Gym Leader Claire, and get my 8th Johto league badge.
 
Delia: Sounds good, Ash. It's getting close to Thanksgiving, I guess you won't be back for a while... (Sighs)... but at least your getting closer to your dreams. I'll be fine if you can't make it back in time.
 
Ash: Mom, I'll see how everything goes, and I'll call you after I battle Claire, and let you know how the match went. If you need me, just give me a ring. Talk to you soon.
 
Delia: Take care, Ash- and be careful, ok? Team Rocket is still out there. Say hi to Misty, Brock, and Duplica for me. Bye! (Hangs up the phone) (To herself) I'm glad he's finally going back to get his 8th badge, it was beginning to look like he had just given up on getting all of those Johto badges...
 
Back in the Johto region, Ash walks back to the camp, and joins the others, who have a roaring campfire going. The four travelers discuss their plans for the next day as the evening draws on...
 
In a distant corner of the Johto region, a middle-aged scientist in a secret lab works diligently on his new invention. The lab is jam packed with computers and other scientific apparatus.
 
Scientist: (Punching commands into a computer) It's almost ready to go! Soon my new invention will make my dreams a reality! With this kind of power, Team Rocket can rule the world, and not have to wait forever to achieve this, like our current leader is doing. Giovanni is taking far too long, and the authorities almost captured the instigators of the bombings...
 
Another person walks into the lab- it is a middle-aged woman in a Team Rocket uniform. She asks about the progress with the invention, and is satisfied with the progress report. The Team Rocket agent promptly leaves the room...
 
Scientist: (Smiling) Good. The plan is going to work, after all. Once I can get my machine to work, it will demonstrate my true power! Giovanni will no longer be seen as the best possible leader for Team Rocket, and will be overthrown. Already, internal dissention has begun. There will be a new age soon, and Team Rocket will rule it!
 
The last thing that can be heard from the lab is the sound of laughter from within the main room...
 
To be continued in Chapter 8: Johto Adventures