Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ The Keepers. ❯ A burning beginning. ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
In the shadow of Mt. Kelip, a city had formed nearly 100 years ago, on the largest Island of the Crystal Islands. It was a beautiful city at first, blessed by a beautiful lake, and forest as the Northern borders to the city, but then, almost as soon as the city came to be, the beautiful sparkling lake had turned almost black, and the forest's Pokemon had fled from the dark forest.

Something had come to rest in that forest, something that had created a swamp like forest, whose murky depths were horrible to dive into, to try and figure out what had caused such a thing to happen.

However, one couple was unafraid of facing the elements to get things back to the way they had been. Hand in hand, the two set out into the forest, accompanied by a Ninetails and an Electabuzz as their partners. The two were never seen again, and yet, they were just the first of many to perish at the will of the dark swamp.

Pokemon who were more massive then their normal selves, and more fierce, called the Swamp home. They were dangerous, and thus the Swamp became off limits, and was labled as 'The Dark Swamp.'

For years, no one went inside of it, everyone was afraid of the Pokemon who inhabited the dark waters, or the marsh lands of the swamp, no one wanted to go inside. Once people came to terms with that, the life in the city continued as normal.

A Pokemon Police Academy was built at the out skirts of the city, and then across from it, a Pokemon Academy was built. First, students would attend the Pokemon Academy, and then, if they so wished, they could go out on their journey, traveling Island to Island, or they could go across the way to become qualified as a Pokemon Police Officer, and then get shipped out to anywhere that needed a good officer.

The city was known as 'Kelip City', a place of new and old beginnings. They were well known for having many, happy moments in this city... But every now and then... something happened that reminded the City of sadness.

One full moon night, at the end of spring time, a home near the edge of the city, the nearest one to the Dark Swamp, burned up in a wild, and out of control blaze. The house had been pretty, with a white picket fence around the edge of it, a garden out back where berry bushes grew, and inside a family of three humans and three Pokemon.

A mother, father, and daughter seemed like they had always been there with their Pokemon, and the whole city had loved them. The mother was an Excellent Pokemon Doctor, and Breeder, so most of the Pokemon problems went to her since there was no Pokemon Center in the City.

The father was a Police Officer, and he also was able to carve beautiful things out of wood and stone with his skilled hands. The daughter was like the two of them, out going and kind, she would work with her father in his work shop till he carried her in his arms from his workshop up to bed.

The daughter played with the Pokemon Researcher's daughter, who lived a ways up the road, and the Pokemon Professor's son, who lived a little further then that. They would explore the beach, the mountain, the fields, but two of them would never go near the swamp. It was off limits, and no one was fool enough to go past the tree line, into the deep, dark waters.

The house burned till there was nothing left, no matter how much water was poured on it by the trainer's water Pokemon. It was so hot, the house burned until nothing but a soft, tender ash was left. By the time morning came, everyone in the city had come to see the remains of the house.

At first, everyone thought that six lives had been lost in that blaze, but when a young girl was seen walking over the hill, heading for home with a Growlithe at her side, it was proven that only four had lost their lives. But now, the daughter, who wanted to be like her parents, was alone in the world...

And like most eight year old children, when faced with such a problem, she cried. She cried long and hard with her friends, while her fate was decided by the adults. Who would take her, who would be responsible for the child?

The Researcher spoke up, and said he would keep her at his house, and he would nurture her and help the young girl to grow into a respectable woman. But for now, as embers of the impossibly hot fire still glowed, the girl was allowed to be clung to by her two best friends in the world, as she cried her heart out.

--
A/N: More Pokemon stuff coming up. Hope everyone likes the first chapter of the Crystal Guardians!