Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ The Keepers. ❯ The Story Begins. ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
"If the assailant you are facing is armed, disarming him is your first priority. How do you do this?" The strict looking brown haired teacher faced her class room, several students were dozing off, but most still looked interested in their second term at the Pokemon Police Academy.

The teacher's cold blue eyes searched over the students, before they found their way to one of her quietest students. "Izumi! Stand and tell me the correct answer!"

The girl had short, fiery red hair, save for two long strips of hair that framed her face. Like her fellow students, she wore the blue in-training Police Uniform, as she calmly stood up from her seat in the raised classroom.

"We can do several things, depending on the situation. If it is a knife, judge the suspects ability, and then either disarm him yourself, or use your Pokemon Partner's Ability to defuse the situation." She said calmly, her voice was so steady and calm. Most teenagers would be gritting their teeth, waiting for the last period of class for the year to be over with, but she was still calmly answering questions.

"Very good Izumi! Now, everyone, remember, keep working with your Partner Pokemon over break! I expect results to be excellent when we meet up again next year." The teacher was Mrs. Wheeler, an excellent Pokemon Police Officer who had been wounded while working on a case against an evil organization who had been trying to steal some rare Pokemon for profit. The only evidence after her recovery was her cane, but she could no longer run down suspects like she had used to, so she had agreed to become a teacher till she grew bored with that as well.

The class stood up, gathered their things, and most of the students ran out wildly, shouting about summer break, as their Pokemon all chattered eagerly as well. Izumi was different, she walked down calmly, after gathering her things from the raised, stadium like classroom. She was the most focused student in the Academy, and out of her group, she was the top athletic, and worked the best with her Pokemon Partner, a rustic furred Growlithe nicknamed 'Rusty' out of any of the cadets and their Pokemon.

She was very much a prized student, and yet, as Mrs. Wheeler watched her leave, she still felt pity for the girl. She remembered that night, nearly ten years ago, when the flames had eaten up almost everything the girl had ever known in means of family.

However, there was a secret about that girl, everyone knew it. There was...something about her. She was too different from other students, so her only friends were still just the goof ball of the researcher's daughter, and then the traveling Pokemon Professor's son.

The three of them were very close, despite the distance in between them. Izumi still lived in the shadow of Mt. Kelip, in the warm city of Kelip City. She lived at the Pokemon Researcher of Dr. Yukaidou, with her best friend, Kyoko Yukaidou. The other one of the trio was off traveling the world over, looking for strong Pokemon, but not even her two greatest friends knew what she did.

Every night, the girl would disappear into the Dark Swamp, when the city slept in peaceful slumber, and visit a large, stone shrine. The stone shrine was the size of a two story house, and it was nearly half a mile into the Dark Swamp, past so many dangerous Pokemon. The stone steps led into a small, covered area, where on a simple alter, was a dark, red stone, that seemed to burn with the very essence of fire inside of it.

The glow from the rock, lit up the entire depth of the shrine, as the girl walked into the shrine, she would smile softly, and go about her duties for the day. Cleaning up the shrine, sweeping out any leaves or dirt that had blown in during the day, or in some cases, ashes.

Then she would kneel in front of the shrine, and say a prayer, begging for the blessing of the Fire God, Ashura, to continue blessing this area, and the world, by keeping his wrath under control. And yet, prayer's alone were not enough. Every night, a cruel matter was done in that shrine, and then the god himself would step down from the heavens, to give his Shrine Maiden a small kiss on the cheek, that would seal the deal for another night.

Another offering, for another day of keeping the god's rage in check.

After ten years of doing the ritual every night, Izumi had become indifferent about the burnt remains of the Poke'Egg at the base of the alter, just sweeping it out as she did all the other rubbish. Once the egg had been burnt, along with the infant inside, her job for the night was almost done.

Every night, a Poke'Egg to please the god of Fire, a cruel master of the lands, but a god who needed to be appeased none the less. If she didn't keep up this madness, then the god's rage would sweep over each of the 22 islands in the Crystal Strands, and turn the seas black as he had done to the lake, just about 90 years before hand... And if she did not do as he requested of her, then he would do the same to her that he had done to her parents...

Burnt alive in a fire that never quit, until the bone itself had turned to ash.