Pretear Fan Fiction ❯ A New Disaster ❯ Family ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Authors' Note: Again i do not own these characters they are from the anime called Pretear.
CHAPTER TWO: FAMILY
Hyate and Himeno had left so Himeno could get back home without her parents worrying about her.
 
Parents, it feels so good to say that…
 
Himeno had thought her step-mom Natsue didn't like her at all and Himeno was struggling for acceptance from her and her two daughters. It turned out that Himeno just never really gave her the chance. When Mawata, her step-sister, had become the Puppet of Darkness, Himeno had seen another side to Natsue. She even saw that Myune even though she sets traps so childishly and gets on Himenos' nerves, cared for her a little. A year ago when everyone was just finally getting along, the thing that surprised Himeno was her Fathers' writing skills had improved. She was so happy when her dad came out with a new book called `Supernatural'. Himeno had wondered where he got the title until she read who it was mostly dedicated to. Natsue couldn't have been happier for him though. Hyate nudged Himenos' side and she came back to conscience. He looked at her with a strange face. Had she been staring into space again? She did that often when she was thinking about things.
 
“Are you going to answer me?” She would have if she heard his question at all. She didn't know if she should fake an answer or just ask him to say it again. She didn't want to ask to say it again because he'd be hurt that she wasn't listening. On the other hand, she didn't want to give the wrong answer if she knew what the answer really was. So she played a game with him instead.
 
“I'm a little tired; can't we talk about this tomorrow?” Hyate stopped cold on the pathway and he looked hurt in some way. She instantly wanted to take it back. He had thought she was listing to him.
 
“So is that right tulip-head,” she cringed at the name he used to tease her with, “you don't want to tell me what time to pick you up tomorrow tonight?” Himeno felt guilty that she didn't just say `excuse-me' instead.
 
“I'm sorry; I was totally dozing off back there and didn't hear a word. I thought I could cover it up, but it looks like I can't.” Hyates' gaze softened and he picked her up. She started to wonder what he was doing; they were only a tiny bit away from the mansion.
 
“Its okay, don't worry.” He then jumped into the air causing Himeno to scream.
 
“WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING TO ME?!” She shouted as swirls of blue surrounded them again. “PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THE HECK YOU'RE DOING RIGHT NOW!” he gave her a puzzled stare.
 
“I'm sneaking you back in like I always do. Didn't you walk off without telling anyone you were gone?” She remembered that she had left the house without letting anyone see. She was glad Hyate remembered or at least knew. He landed them on her balcony by her room. He turned to leave but Himeno tugged at his sleeve.
 
“Hyate,” Himeno said very softly but she knew he heard her, “what time are you going to pick me up tonight?” Hyate looked at her and smiled.
 
“Would six be okay? Last time I picked you up your dad investigated us for an hour about what we were going to do.” Himeno laughed and nodded her head. Her father was so protective of her. Even though he had known Hyate, he still didn't like the fact that someone was dating his baby girl.
 
“Sure, six will be fine. And with any luck, he won't question me up until the time you come.” He gave her a kiss on the cheek and vanished in a swirl of blue. Then he was gone leaving her alone on the balcony.
 
Now I'm all alone…
 
Himeno walked into her room and looked around. Everything was so tidy and her bed was made. She walked over to her bed and sat on the edge facing the balcony windows. The sun was setting about now and the sky was turning a reddish orange with a mix of a golden yellow. It was so beautiful to watch the sun slowly sink into the horizon. Himeno was so caught in the sunset that she didn't hear the footsteps coming up the stairs. Then the knock came softly on the door. Himeno straightened up and walked over to see who was there. When Himeno opened the door, she saw her step-sister, Mawata, standing there. Mawata was a little bit smaller than Himeno but now too small. She gazed at Himeno with her aqua blue eyes and teal colored hair all in place. Mawata was wearing a blue shirt with red skirt that she had just gotten yesterday.
 
“Himeno, dinner is ready.” She looked nervous about something, but Himeno couldn't tell what.
 
“Okay, I'll be right down Mawata.” Himeno went to turn but she heard Mawata's soft voice saying something. Himeno looked Mawata straight in the eyes. “Mawata is something wrong?”
 
“Himeno,” Mawata looked at her feet, “would you walk with me to dinner before the maids come and get you? It's lonely walking by yourself sometimes.” Himeno smiled.
 
“Well of course I'll walk with you!” Himeno threw an arm over Mawata's shoulder. Mawata looked uncomfortable for a second but managed to give Himeno a smile. Himeno was so happy that Mawata was able to smile now. Being the Puppet of Darkness had made Himeno see Mawata's situation differently. Mawata was slowly moving on. She was getting more into the arts and getting to know people. She was even laughing at more and more of Himeno's jokes.
 
“Say Mawata, how much do you think I can eat tonight?” Himeno could swear she heard Mawata stifle a giggle.
 
“I don't think you beat the record from a few days ago.” Himeno looked closely at Mawatas' face as they passed another one of the many doors on their way to the dinning room. Himeno could see laughter in her eyes.
 
I'm so happy for her…
 
:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*: *:
 
They came to the staircase and walked down slowly. There was still a while to dinner and they were in no rush. Himeno felt the silence was too much and she had to say something.
 
“So have you and dad been working on some new statues lately? I thought I saw one in the hallway by the toilet.” Himeno glanced over at Mawata to find her smiling.
 
“Actually, we have been working on a few statues together. It's been quite fun.” Mawata still smiling looked in Himeno's direction. “I actually like having a dad again.”
 
“I'm glad you and dad are getting along.” Himeno returned her smile and realized how important this situation was to Mawata. Mawata hadn't had a dad since she was very little and in the beginning when Himeno moved in with her dad Mawata didn't want anything to do with them. The fact that she used to go around thinking she's alone but now she wants to be a part of the family again is a good thing. They finished walking down the stairs and were turning the corner when something slammed into them coming around the corner. Himeno and Mawata were thrown the other way and whatever they knocked into was thrown opposite them.
 
“OUCH THAT HURT!” Himeno was struggling to get to her feet when she heard someone shouting. She looked at what she had bumped into and saw Myune lying on the ground with one of her ridiculous gowns on. Myune would be pretty with her light pink hair and light purple eyes if she didn't wear those horrible outfits. Myune lifted her head as Himeno helped Mawata up and saw that Myune was not happy at all.
 
“HIMENO! WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING RUNNING INTO ME WHEN I'M WEARING A DRESS LIKE THIS! HAVE YOU GONE INSANE?” Himeno took into account the amount of anger in her voice, Myune wasn't happy and Himeno didn't think she wanted to know why. Himeno gave a short sigh.
 
If I don't respond she'll keep yelling…
 
“I'm sorry Myune; I should look where I'm going.” Himeno apologized but Myune still looked unhappy. Himeno wondered what she was so upset about because a year ago they promised they would stop playing tricks on each other. “Myune is there anything wrong?” Myune eyed her curiously.
 
“If there was anything wrong why would I tell you?” Himeno straightened a bit. It hurt badly for Himeno to hear something like that again from Myune. She thought they were a family again. It seems that whatever was bothering Myune, was something Myune wasn't going to tell them. Himeno wasn't backing down though.
 
“Myune, we're family, you can tell me anything.” Myune at that point had probably figured that she had enough because she shrugged her shoulders and pushed past Himeno and Mawata.
 
:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*: *:
 
The whole family was sitting at the dinner table. Himeno sat across from her father and next to Mawata. Myune sat on the other side of Mawata and across from Natsue. The encounter with Myune wasn't all that Himeno could think about during dinner. She also had to think about her date with Hyate after dinner. Himeno usually was the first one to bring a conversation to the table but she was too busy thinking about which outfit she should change into for her date. She was eating fast trying to leave the table so she could get ready for her date and get away from Myune.
 
Wonder if I should wear the blue one…Hyate likes blue right?
 
“Himeno are you going to answer me?” Himeno was knocked back to reality when Natsues' voice broke through her daydreaming. She stopped half way, poised with a spoonful of food in the air. She looked up and everyone at the table was staring at her. Himeno put the spoon down and sat up straight.
 
Great this is the second time today…
 
“Excuse me, mother?” Himeno answered her making sure that she didn't try to do what she did with Hyate earlier. Natsue returned her question with a `humph' and started to cut a piece of her food. Natsue was very pretty with her brown hair curled into a large bun on her head. Even though she might have been avoiding Himenos' gaze, Natsues' brown eyes were gentle.
 
“Himeno, I wanted to know why you're eating extremely fast tonight.” Natsue lifted her head and made her gaze link with Himeno's. Himeno knew that when Natsue looked you in the eyes you better not lie to her. Natsue had a strong figure and will. When she wanted something she got it. Just like she got Himeno's dad.
 
“Himeno don't you have a date tonight?” Himeno looked at her father. Even if he had shaved and his brown hair actually looked good today, Himeno couldn't help giving a look of disgust that he remembered her date tonight.
 
“Oh!” Myune spoke up suddenly. “That's right it's a Friday, Himeno has to go out and have fun with her little boyfriend.” Myunes' voice burned Himeno's ears. It wasn't a phrase that was supposed to be taken lightly. Myune was mad at something and Himeno didn't know why or what it was. Himeno thought that even though she should yell at Myune for such a comment, she should be quiet and hurry back upstairs. Then something happened that Himeno didn't expect.
 
“Myune what's wrong with you?” Mawatas' voice rang out over the table and everyone stared. She usually didn't talk at the table unless someone asked her a question. “You've been acting so mean towards Himeno and everyone else lately. If there's something wrong tell us.” Mawatas' words were calm and sophisticated. She spoke each word with skill, probably to hide the icy glare she was giving Myune. Myune looked taken aback, but Himeno didn't think it was from the comment.
 
“Nothings wrong okay.” Myune said in a forceful voice as she pushed away from the table and walked off.
 
That was weird…
 
Himeno excused herself from the table and tried to walk, practically run, to her room before anyone questioned her about the date. Himeno came to her room and ran through the doors shutting them behind her. She needed to get changed now because Hyate was coming in less than fifteen minutes. She walked over to her closest and rummaged through her things.
 
Let's see, there are choices between the light blue dress, the yellow shirt with the white skirt, or the dark red with the dark blue skirt…
 
Himeno closed her eyes and grabbed an outfit. When she opened her eyes she saw she picked the light blue dress. She quickly and skillfully took off her clothes and slipped on the light blue dress. She took a glance in the mirror and fixed her pinkish hair. She took a look around and tried to spot her purse. She found it lying halfway under her bed. She quickly picked it up and threw it over her shoulder. Any minute Hyate would be knocking on her front door and she had to make sure her dad didn't answer it. Himeno ran out of her room and down the hall passing a couple of maids. She turned onto the staircase and hurried down each step. She then proceeded to practically run down the hall towards the front door. At that exact moment the house decided to ring with the sound of the Awayuki doorbell. Himeno ran faster to try to get to the door. As she came closer and closer to the door her dad appeared out of no where. Everything was ruined when her dad turned the doorknob. Himeno skidded to a halt beside him and saw a weird expression on her fathers face when he opened the door partially.
 
“Dad what's wrong?” He slowly shut the door and blinked. Himeno tensed.
 
Did he just shut that on Hyate…?
 
“For some strange reason,” he turned around to face her, “there was no one at the door.” Himeno went wide eyed. Had Hyate done his disappearing act so he wouldn't ask questions? “Oh, it really doesn't matter. We got ding-dong-door ditched, probably for the first time, but there's a first for everything.” He gave a shrug and a smile and walked off in the opposite direction. Himeno stood there dazed about what had just happened. Then she thought she just better wait for Hyate on her balcony. She turned to leave when there was a silent knock on the door. She looked at the door and then walked towards it. She turned the handle and opened the door slowly. There stood Hyate in a blue shirt and black pants. His dark blue hair was swaying gently in the breeze. And there were flowers in her hands. Tulips to be exact.
 
Always trying to win me over with a joke…