Prince Of Tennis Fan Fiction ❯ The Sound of Two Heads Crashing ❯ Ch. 3: Confusing Jealousy ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Again. Thank you for all the reviews. And to Paffu: I would make a music video if I had any idea how to make one. But I don't so I'm sorry. Maybe someday I'll learn. And to hakkaisensei: Are you serious? It would be great if I could get someone to beta this fic. And sorry but this chapter is a little shorter than the others.
-
Chapter #3: Confusing Jealousy
-
Feeling the rest of the team at his back, watching his every move, Eiji glared at Oishi. “Maybe if you weren't such a mom I'd—
“Well maybe if you actually acted your age I wouldn't have to mother you all the time,” Oishi interrupted angrily, glaring back at Eiji. “Do you think I like having a boyfriend who acts like he's five-years old? I feel like I'm your babysitter!”
Eiji reared back, insulted. “Uh!” For a moment he was at a loss of what to say but then he finally found words and snapped back, “Well if I'm such a kid then why are we even still together?”
“Habit?” Oishi suggested angrily.
They had to wait until Monday to start their new plan. The idea was simple—make Momo and Ryoma jealous. Of course, to do this they would need somebody to come onto both of the boys. This was a problem because Momo had just explained to Ryoma that the rest of the team was paired off. It would be suspicious if one of pairs were to suddenly start flirting with someone else. One of the couples would need to “break up”.
They had quickly gone through their choices. Fuji was out as Tezuka would not be pleased to find him flirting with either of the younger boys and would be especially mad if he knew that it was all part of the plan. Add in the fact that there was only one of him and two of Momo and Ryoma and it was clear that he was not a good choice no matter how good of a flirt he was.
Inui was also out as the image of him coming onto either of the boys was just too strange and bizarre for words. And, since Inui was out, Kaidoh was also out, as it would be simpler if only one couple was needed to “break up”. And, besides that, Kaidoh just plain refused to touch, be near, or even think about Momo in that way.
So that left Oishi and Eiji, Eiji being especially perfect as he already had a rather close relationship with both of the boys. And so it was decided, despite Oishi's protests, that Eiji would come onto Momo and Oishi would spend his time with Ryoma. The two of them would stage a public fight during morning practice, being careful to make sure it was loud enough and public enough that Momo and Ryoma were unable to miss it.
“Well I don't want anything to do with you anymore!” Eiji shouted at Oishi, sounding remarkably realistic
“And I do?” Oishi said, looking at Eiji as if he disgusted him. Eiji hadn't known Oishi was such a good actor.
“Good!” Eiji shouted, “Then we're through! Completely over!” he said, making a wide gesture. “Don't come near me again!” Still looking angry, he stomped off to Fuji's side. Getting there, Eiji threw Fuji a quick smile, looking momentarily cheerful, but then he went back to being angry, crossing his arms over his chest and glaring across the courts at Oishi. Oishi, meanwhile, had rolled his eyes, looking less than amused by Eiji's theatrics, and stomped over to the benches, which Momo and Ryoma quickly vacated as they tried to get out of his way.
Tezuka, having narrowed his eyes at the display, watched Oishi carefully as he grabbed his water bottle and angrily took a drink, and then turned to watch Eiji, who was still pouting furiously. Suspicious, he then turned to Fuji, who was also glaring across the courts at Oishi. Not finding anything in Fuji's expression to back up his suspicions Tezuka decided to put the matter aside for the moment. Fuji may have been a genius, but, sooner or later, Tezuka always seemed to be able to catch him in the act. Plus it was time for practice to start again. They'd been taking a break, but it was now over.
“Did you hear that?” Momo nearly whispered to Ryoma.
“Yeah,” Ryoma said at a more normal level, raising a brow at Momo's hushed tone. “They had a fight. It happens.”
“Not to them, it doesn't,” Momo said, still whispering for some reason.
“They've fought before,” Ryoma reminded him.
“Yeah, like, once,” Momo whispered, trying to get Ryoma to see how bad this situation was. “What if they don't get back together this time? You heard what they said.”
Ryoma frowned. He had heard what they'd said and they had sounded rather serious. Starting to doubt his own certainty that things were just fine, he finally said, “Well, it's not like we can do anything.”
“Maybe we can ask Fuji-senpai,” Momo suggested quietly. “I'm sure he'll know what we can do.”
Ryoma just looked at him like he was crazy. “Yeah. You do that.”
 
Momo frowned. “What do you mean you're not going to do anything?”
Fuji looked the same as always, smiling vaguely. “I mean just that. I'm not going to do anything.”
Momo looked confused, not understanding. “But isn't Eiji-senpai your best friend?”
That made Fuji open his eyes, the vague smile still on his face now seeming almost evil. “I'm going to assume that you meant that in only the best way and aren't trying to tell me how to manage my friendships.”
Momo winced and shrank back, just then realizing how bad that may have sounded. “No. No. I'm not. I didn't mean it like that. I'm sorry.”
Fuji thankfully closed his eyes and smiled. “Good.”
Momo looked back up. “But you really aren't going to do anything?”
“No,” Fuji said simply. “I'm not.”
Momo figured he would get the same bad reaction as the best friend question if he were to ask Fuji why so he didn't.
“Now if you'll excuse me,” Fuji said politely, “I'm afraid I have to get to class.” And Fuji stepped around Momo and continued on his way.
 
 
“So he's not going to do anything,” Momo finished telling Ryoma what had happened in the hallway. It was lunch and the two were seated under their tree, open lunches in their lap.
Ryoma chewed, not looking that interested in Momo's tale. Swallowing what was in his mouth, he looked up at the older boy. “And let me guess. You want to come up with your own plan to help them out.”
Momo smiled brightly and nodded. “Yeah!”
Ryoma's gaze didn't waver as he continued to guess. “And you want me to help.”
“Well . . . yeah.” Momo said less brightly, scratching the back of his neck, “You kinda have to. I can't do this by myself.”
His gaze not moving from Momo's face, Ryoma stuck another bit of sushi in his mouth and chewed silently as Momo waited for his answer. Finally Ryoma swallowed and said bluntly, “No.”
“What? Oh come on, Echizen. Would it kill you to help out?”
“This time—yes,” Ryoma said bluntly, “Or have you not thought about what Fuji-senpai will do to you when he figures out your plan? He obviously doesn't want to help them for a reason.”
“So?” Momo said, showing remarkable stupidity, “We'll just have to make sure that he doesn't find out.” And the sad thing was, Momo actually seemed serious.
Obviously Momo had lost what little brains he had. “You idiot,” Ryoma said, seeming disgusted by Momo's stupidity. “This is Fuji-senpai. You want to try and trick Fuji-senpai?”
“Well, okay,” Momo allowed. “It will be kinda hard.”
“Only kind of?” Ryoma said, staring at Momo in disbelief. “This is Fuji-senpai,” he repeated.
“But I have a plan,” Momo said, leaning forward eagerly with bright eyes.
“Oh God.” Ryoma closed his eyes.
“And it's a good plan,” Momo said, not deterred by Ryoma's reaction..
Ryoma, still with his eyes closed, decided to give Momo a chance. “Just tell me it has nothing to do with a closet.”
“Um . . .” At that, Momo had to sit back. “How'd you know?” he asked.
Ryoma opened his eyes, staring at Momo in disbelief. “A closet?”
“Well, it works, doesn't it?” Momo said defensively.
Ryoma closed his eyes again and rubbed his brow wearily while shaking his head, despairing of Momo ever growing a brain.
“Well fine then,” Momo said angrily, “If you're so smart, what would you do?”
“Not lock them in a closet,” Ryoma said flatly, opening his eyes and turning back to Momo.
“I just wanted them to start talking to each other again,” Momo said, trying to explain his thinking.
“There are other ways to do that, you idiot,” Ryoma told him.
Deciding to call his bluff, Momo crossed his arms over his chest and said smugly, “Oh yeah. How?”
“I don't know,” Ryoma said, shrugging. “Make them jealous?” he suggested, just throwing out the first thing that popped into his head.
Momo's mouth fell open in shock and amazement as it all became so clear to him. “You're a genius! We'll do that!”
Ryoma looked confused. “Make them jealous?” Then he seemed to get what Momo wanted him to do and his eyes went wide as he shook his head in denial. “No,” he said. “No.”
“Yeah!” Momo said, still excited about the idea. “We'll make them jealous!” A thought coming, he frowned. “But who'll do who?”
“I'm not doing anything,” Ryoma said, still shaking his head. Quickly he started to wrap up his lunch and get to his feet, but Momo pulled him down to the ground before he could get anywhere.
“No way,” Momo said, holding him down, “There's no way you're getting out of this. It was your idea so you have to do it.”
“I didn't actually mean it!”
“It doesn't matter,” Momo said. “We're doing it. You get Oishi-senpai,” Momo pointing at Ryoma then at himself, “I'll take Eiji-senpai.”
“No!” Ryoma said, struggling to free himself from Momo's grip.
“Yes!” Momo said, only holding onto Ryoma all the harder.
“No!” Ryoma said.
“Yes!” Momo said.
“No!”
 
Ryoma scowled and crossed his arms over his chest. It was time for afternoon practice and he was waiting for Oishi and Eiji to appear. Momo had eventually won and so Ryoma had no choice. He would have to flirt with Oishi.
He didn't want to flirt with Oishi! He didn't want to flirt with anyone! He didn't even know how.
Momo said to be nice, make a lot of eye-contact, touch him a lot, try not to be himself too much.
Ryoma had scowled at that last one. What was wrong with being himself? Hearing that question, Momo had just laughed and patted him on the head like he was a some sort of cute dog which had only made Ryoma all the angrier.
“There,” Momo whispered, nudging him in the side with an elbow. “They're here.” Letting his hands drop back down to his sides, Ryoma scowled up at Momo for the nudge, but turned to where Oishi and Eiji were coming their way, fighting with each other quietly but heatedly.
Taking a deep breath, Ryoma prepared himself for embarrassment. Here went nothing.
 
 
“You ready?” Eiji asked, looking over at Oishi. The two were in the clubhouse getting ready for both practice and yet another act of their fight.
Standing up from tying his shoes, Oishi looked down and took a deep breath, steeling himself, then looked up at Eiji and nodded decisively.
“Alright!” But before they could leave, Eiji had to do one thing. He threw his arms around Oishi in a quick hug, whispering in his ear, “Love you,” and letting go before Oishi even knew what was happening.
Oishi just smiled back at him. “You too.”
Eiji grinned at him but then turned serious and got an angry look on his face. “I thought I told you I wanted nothing to do with you!” he snapped angrily, turning for the door and pushing his way outside.
Oishi's features twisted up in cold fury. “And that's fine with me,” he snarled, following behind the other boy. “You're such an idiot I guess you just forgot that Fuji and Tezuka eat at the same table.”
“I didn't forget,” Eiji growled, glaring at Oishi as they made their way across the courts to where Momo and Ryoma stood. “I just thought you would be smart enough to stay away.”
“Why should I have to be the one to stay away?” Oishi asked angrily, “You're the one who's too childish to be at the same table as me.”
“Oh, and you want to be near me so much? You're just as childish as me.”
“No one is as childish as you. I've known newborns with more maturity.”
“Well at least I won't have wrinkles by the time I'm twenty. You're such an old lady.”
“Hey. Hey, man. Don't fight.” Momo said. They'd gotten to where Momo and Ryoma stood.
“Well, maybe if this moron over here didn't— Eiji started, glaring at Oishi.
Oishi interrupted before Eiji could finish. “Moron?” he repeated disbelievingly, “And which one of us is the one usually begging for homework help?”
“Do you see what I have to deal with?” Eiji asked Momo. “He's just so hard,” Eiji whined, throwing himself at Momo, wrapping his arms around his neck and burying his nose in Momo's neck.
Momo got an interesting look on his face. “Erm.”
Ryoma smirked at his predicament. But then Oishi turned to him and got in much too close, putting a hand on the small of his back as Oishi said gently, “Echizen, you understand what it's like don't you?”
A little uncomfortable with him so close, Ryoma blinked up at him. “What what's like?”
“To deal with someone who's so immature,” Oishi said, but then turned to Momo. “No offense Momo.”
Eiji still attached to his neck, Momo smiled weakly and waved a hand. “None taken.”
Oishi turned back to Ryoma. “Don't you?”
“Ah,” Ryoma said, looking at Momo to see how he should answer this. Momo nodded at him, eyes wide in encouragement as he mouthed the word, “Flirt.” Hating this but deciding to just get it over with, Ryoma turned back to Oishi with a smile. “I do.”
“Isn't it hard?” Oishi asked, now rubbing Ryoma's back in slow circles as he sought some understanding.
Still with that smile on his face, Ryoma nodded and put a hand on Oishi's arm to squeeze gently. “Very.”
Not understanding why Ryoma was acting this way, Oishi almost looked confused, but quickly turned that look into a smile at his actions instead.
In response to this, Eiji raised his head out of Momo's neck and frowned at the two. Turning to Momo he said seriously, “They just don't understand.”
“No,” Momo said softly, smiling at him very gently as he put a hand on Eiji's back. “I do, though.”
A little weirded out by Momo's reaction, Eiji still smiled. “I thought you would. That's why I like you so much.” He turned back to give Oishi an evil look. “And why I hate him.”
“I understand,” Momo said gently, softly patting Eiji's back.
Seeing this, Oishi frowned. What was Momo doing? He wasn't supposed to do that. Eiji was supposed to hang on him and Momo was supposed to try to get away. Wasn't he supposed to think he was straight?
“Oishi-senpai,” Ryoma said, tugging on his sleeve to bring his attention back to the younger boy, “It's time for practice. Do you want to play a match with me?”
Still somewhat distracted by Eiji and Momo but remembering his job, Oishi nodded and followed Ryoma over to the courts to warm up.
Momo and Ryoma kept Eiji and Oishi busy throughout practice. Oishi couldn't look away for a second without Eiji somehow finding a way into Momo's arms. And it seemed like Ryoma was always right there next to Oishi, barely any room between the two of them.
Eiji and Oishi were confused. They hadn't expected Momo and Ryoma to act this way. They'd expected blushes and protests of being straight, Momo trying to pry Eiji off of him and Ryoma carefully keeping a least a foot of distance between him and everybody else. But the loud Momo was being surprisingly gentle and soft and the aloof Ryoma was suddenly very prone to touching. Eiji and Oishi didn't know what was going on, but they didn't like it.
Oishi wanted Eiji to stay away from Momo and Eiji suddenly wasn't too keen on the idea of Oishi and Ryoma spending time together either. What if Momo actually liked Eiji? Or worse, what if Ryoma actually liked Oishi? Didn't those two like each other? They hadn't read all the signs wrong had they? Momo and Ryoma certainly didn't seem very jealous to see the other involved with somebody else.
“This isn't working,” Eiji whispered to Fuji two days later. Two days of Momo and Ryoma acting strange. Two days of having to watch the normally cold Ryoma basically throw himself at Oishi. Eiji couldn't take it anymore!
“No,” Fuji said, frowning. “Those two are acting strange.”
“I'll say!” Eiji said, “Ochibi won't stop flirting with Oishi!”
Fuji smiled at his friend. “Jealous?”
“Yeah!” Eji wouldn't deny it. He was. “Can't me and Oishi make up already? I don't want Ochibi anywhere near Oishi anymore!”
“Very well,” Fuji relented. “We can start on our new plan tomorrow.”