Prince Of Tennis Fan Fiction ❯ When Tezuka Had Fallen For Her ❯ Act v ( Chapter 5 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Author's Note: Here's act 5…thanks so much for reading and reviewing…You guys are making me more inspired! Also, I have a message for Bio Uotani: You know, the Tezuka-Kaidoh conflict you mentioned never really never crossed my mind since I started this fic…but now you mention it…that was indeed a bright idea! Firstly because it's yet an unexplored field, and this is my very first fanfic, and a little experimentation won't hurt, would it? Ne, ne? *smiles* Seriously, you made me revise my whole story because of that little side comment! Thanks so much for giving me a bright idea!!!
 
For fightingphoenix36: Thanks for leaving a comment on each chapter…you make me jump in happiness (no pun intended…I'm really serious)
 
Again, I would like to commend each and every one of my readers…and my friends who support me with every little thing I do…thanks so much!
 
Enjoy yourselves on this one!
 
 
Disclaimer: You all know very well that I don't own PoT…
 
 
~>+<+>+<+><+>+<+>+<+><~
 
 
 
Act v
 
 
 
 
 
~>+<+>+<+><+>+<+>+<+><~
FLASHBACK
(From Act I - Ryuzaki-sensei's phone call)
~>+<+>+<+><+>+<+>+<+><~
 
 
 
 
“…I am Dr. Helen Wakefield, Head of the Custody Department of the Ministry of Social Welfare and Development of United Kingdom. I have called you for an important matter.”
 
Sumire blinked three times and wasn't able to reply immediately. What in the name of heaven is this all about? “O-Oh…what can I do for you, Dr. Wakefield?”
 
“Firstly,” started the mysterious woman, “I got your number from a certain Sarah Yamato of Athlete's Gazette local sports magazine. Do you know her?”
 
“Yes,” stated the old coach, thoroughly confused. “How come?”
 
She heard Wakefield sigh nervously before saying, “I need to talk to you in relation with Ms. Ringo Harinozuka. I assume you know this girl?”
 
It took a short while before it hit Sumire. Ringo Harinozuka..it sounded so familiar…
 
Of course!
 
“Ah, yes. The Ringo you're talking about is the child tennis prodigy of England, right?” It has been a long time since I heard from her.
 
“Yes,” said Wakefield. “Recently she won three consecutive junior competitions. She is indeed a very talented child.”
 
“Undeniably,” agreed Sumire. “But, pardon me, why would Ringo be involved in our conversation? I don't know where this talk would lead us, frankly.” She waited for the foreigner's reply, and heard her heave another shuddering sigh before speaking.
 
“Now we shall get to the point of this conversation.” It was notable how grim she had suddenly sounded. “To start with, I bring to you the grave news that Ringo's single-parent—and who we assumed as her last living relative—Mrs. Kaye Harinozuka, has died of brain cancer three months ago.” She paused, letting respectable silence to ensue.
 
The old woman on the other line gasped in shock.
 
“What?” she said meekly. “If I heard it correctly, Ringo has only been living with her mother.”
 
“You are not mistaken,” said Wakefield gravely. “Now that she died, Ms. Ringo has nowhere to go, so she ended up in the government's custody. She had been stationed in an orphanage in Wales one week after Mrs. Harinozuka's burial. The administration had provided her the most special care, considering her stand in the tennis world. We had encouraged her to continue pursuing her career that may give her a bright future. But she paid to no avail; she stopped playing tennis and became a depressed child.”
 
They were silent for almost a whole minute. Sumire didn't know what to say; she really didn't know the child very well, but at least they had shared moments together many enough for her to look after her.
 
“Please express my condolence for her,” she said silently, after a long while. “I didn't know about it.”
 
“Mrs. Ryuzaki,” said Wakefield slowly, “Mrs. Harinozuka had left her last will and testament before she died. Her final wish is to let Ringo live in Japan permanently.”
 
“What?” said Sumire, torn between surprise and confusion. She hadn't noticed that she stiffened in her seat. “Would that be possible for you to grant, considering Ringo's state?”
 
“Just as what you said, Mrs.Ryuzaki,” said Wakefield sadly. “We cannot grant her last will. Firstly, the money Mrs. Harinozuka had left for Ringo is not enough to let her live by herself, and secondly the child is still underage and is considered as yet an dependent child that is required with at least a guardian. We cannot let her live independently, let alone in a foreign country.”
 
“I see,” said Sumire. She felt sorry for the Harinozukas, but she thought the British government's decision is reasonable. They could not let Ringo live by herself, judging by the circumstances. Though a question still lingered in her mind.
 
“Dr. Wakefield,” she said, “Had Mrs. Harinozuka given any reason behind her last will? Why would she like Ringo to live in a place far from UK, like Japan?”
 
“Ringo's father is a native of Japan,” explained Wakefield. “He and her late British wife permanently stayed here in UK after their marriage. For some reason, the father wasn't able to return to his homeland since then, and had died of a car accident. It was noted in Mrs. Harinozuka's letter that her husband had long dreamed of returning in Japan with his family, mainly because he wanted his daughter Ringo to see it. When he died, the mother wasn't able to fulfill that hanging dream due to her sudden sickness; all cash was spent for Ringo's necessities and her therapy. The time came that she knew she won't make it anymore, so she wrote the letter saying to use what was left in her bank account to send Ringo to Japan.”
 
“But you can't approve it,” continued Sumire.
 
“Technically, it's impossible,” said Wakefield grimly. “But there are still ways for her wish to be granted. We could take care of Ringo until she reached her legal age, and let her live in Japan independently afterwards. Or…”
 
Or?” said the Seigaku coach, mildly intimidated.
 
“Or if we transfer her guardianship to someone willing to take care of her,” concluded Wakefield, and Sumire can tell she was choosing her words carefully.
 
“Someone willing?” the old woman repeated.
 
“Yes,” said Wakefield. “And someone who lives or is willing to or can live permanently in Japan.”
 
There was a short pause. Sumire thought she dimly knew where the conversation would go.
 
“However,” Wakefield suddenly said, bringing her sharply back to her senses. “It is not possible for us to carry out the first alternative plan.”
 
“Why?” said Sumire confusedly. “I think it was the most suitable action for this problem.”
 
“We thought so too,” said Wakefield. “But it is decreed in our law to execute any reasonable last will and testament within one month after the death of the writer. We could not postpone Mrs. Harinozuka's request.”
 
“Aren't there any exception with that rule?” said Sumire, somewhat desperate.
 
“There is an exception,” said Wakefield slowly. “That is, if there will be no other choice provided. Yet, there is still the second option, so this case is still not considered exempted. We should perform the second option first, before coming with a conclusion. It was also stated in the law that an option had six months' time to be accomplished and observed.”
 
“And so…this is where I come in,” Sumire concluded, resting her back on her chair for the first time since the conversation started and letting go a sigh she didn't know she had been holding. Now it made sense…
 
“Yes, Mrs. Ryuzaki,” said Wakefield, her voice slightly warm. “I have called you to ask if you have any interest in adopting Ringo Harinozuka.”
 
This time, the old woman chuckled softly. “You are saying that as if you were just offering me a discount in something I want to buy.”
 
She can say that the doctor on the other side of the world was smiling. “So what can you say, Mrs. Ryuzaki?”
 
“You cannot expect me saying yes easily, Doctor,” said Sumire humorlessly. “It's a child's life we're talking about.”
 
“I know,” said Wakefield. “According to Sarah Yamato, you had expressed your compliance in putting Ringo under your care if the time comes she decided to live in Japan, though I clearly know it's simply sports talk.”
 
“Yes,” said Sumire. “I agreed to take care of her career, nothing more. Even if I wanted to help the child as much as I can, adopting her is simply too much. Who knows if I can give her a good life?”
 
“I agree,” said Wakefield in an understanding tone of voice. “Though I still want you to think about this thoroughly, Mrs. Ryuzaki. I may be asking too much, but personally I am concerned about Ringo. As much as possible I don't want us to resort to letting her stay in the orphanage. It would do so much psychological and emotional damage in her, considering that she is still in her growing ages. I am a psychologist and a physicist; I can predict what can happen to her.”
 
Sumire's mind was battling. Practically speaking, she should not accept Wakefield's offer; it could cause emotional and financial imbalance. But on the other hand she genuinely wanted to do something about the young girl's situation, and her conscience was constantly nagging her about it.
 
Would she…?
 
“I would think about it,” she finally said in defeat.
 
Dr. Wakefield seemed to brighten. “Thank you, Mrs. Ryuzaki. Furthermore, we also had reviewed your statistics, as I had mentioned you as a candidate for Ringo's guardianship. The high officials had approved you as a suitable guardian, regarding your civil and financial status, and considering your expression of fondness toward Ringo.”
 
“How many weeks do I have to contemplate about it?” asked Sumire.
 
“You have five months,” said Wakefield. “And Mrs. Ryuzaki, you need to know something else.”
 
The old woman blinked. “What is it?”
 
“To help you come up with decision faster,” said the younger woman, “we sent Ringo to Japan three days ago—in Kantou, specifically, to temporarily live there for five months with financial provision from us. She was also admitted to the very school you are teaching at, so that you would have a chance to set a closer eye to her. I strongly suggest that you for the mean time stand as her guardian, and see for yourself if you can keep her for the rest of your life. Are you still there, Mrs. Ryuzaki?”
 
There was no answer.
 
“Hello?” Wakefield said uncertainly. She heard Sumire heave a deep breath, and almost lose grip of her phone when the woman on the other line suddenly burst out.
 
WHAT?
 
 
 
~>+<+>+<+><+>+<+>+<+><~
End of Flashback
~>+<+>+<+><+>+<+>+<+><~
 
 
 
 
Sumire knew what hardships the fascinated young girl sitting by her side is currently struggling through, but it was just very hard to embrace such a vast and complicated matter like child-upbringing. But think about it, she thought, as she stared at Ringo at the corner of her eye, Ringo is a charming and matured girl. It was surprising that she can keep her composure at this time of her life. She's not that of problematic.
 
When Ringo had said “siblings,” Sumire thought that she meant the other unfortunate children in the orphanage she had stayed at. It's true that she only knew a few of Ringo, but she could tell by the girl's looks that she is a caring person. It would be a crucial waste to let her go astray.
 
But no, the coach thought firmly, I cannot adopt her.
 
“Sumire-san?” called out Ringo worriedly, bringing Sumire sharply back to her senses.
 
“Are you saying something, Ringo?”
 
Ringo eyed her anxiously, before saying, “I was wondering why they sent me here.”
 
She didn't know a thing about what's going on, thought Sumire. Should she tell it?
 
“I heard about what happened to you, Ringo,” she said gravely. “About your mother…and I'm sorry….”
 
Sumire saw the stony look in the girl's face before she quickly replaced it with a sad smile.
 
“I spent most of my childhood days with her alone,” Ringo said, absently staring far beyond the fence enclosing the tennis courts. “I really never thought she'd die too…”
 
The Seigaku coach observed the ground mournfully. “I see…”
 
They were quiet for almost a whole minute, avoiding each other's eyes. It was Ringo who had spoken first.
 
“Sumire-san,” she said quietly as she looked at the old woman beside her, “do you think…I should continue in playing tennis?
 
 
 
 
~>+<+>+<+><+>+<+>+<+><~
 
 
 
 
“Inui?”
 
Inui turned his gaze towards the man beside him, who was suspended in mid-action and was casting him a worried look.
 
“Is something the matter, Oishi?” the data-man said casually.
 
“You're standing right there and not moving,” Oishi said. “What are you looking at?” He looked at the spot where he caught Inui was staring at, and saw Momo's classmate Ringo and Ryuzaki-sensei, having what seemed to be a serious conversation.
 
“I assume you know what that Harinozuka Ringo's reputation in tennis is, Oishi?” asked Inui.
 
“Ryuzaki-sensei mentioned it,” said Oishi, realization dawning on him. He then looked at Inui. “Now I know; you're interested in her, aren't you?”
 
“Let's say I am,” replied the taller man, pushing his glasses further up his nose. “Do you know what issues are floating around her just now?”
 
“What issues?” cut in Kikumaru Eiji, bouncing between his doubles partner and the data-man with a curious look on his face.
 
“I hate it when you move in others' conversations without any warning, Eiji,” said Inui casually. “Next time I catch you doing this it won't go overlooked anymore.” His glasses caught the sunlight and they glinted maliciously at the redhead.
 
Eiji sweat-dropped and hid behind Oishi. “Nya…” He thought he just had visualizations of multi-colored liquid substances Inui would force him to drink. It's indeed a suicidal act to be in Inui Sadaharu's bad side.
 
“Anyway,” piped up Oishi, trying to pry off Inui's attention from a shivering Eiji, “what are those issues you're talking about?”
 
Inui turned his head to him, then looked over at Ringo. “That girl had quit in the middle of the National Junior Tennis Tournament held in Britain three months ago. Not long after it was officially announced that she would stop playing tennis from then on.”
 
“What?” said Eiji incredulously. “Ringo-chan's not playing tennis anymore?
 
“Why?” asked Oishi in confusion. “From how Ryuzaki-sensei introduced her to us, it sounded as if she is a really good tennis player.”
 
“That's what makes me interested,” said Inui. “I think I should research about Ringo's personal background to find the real reason behind it.”
 
“HEY, YOU THERE!” exploded a familiar voice, startling Oishi and Eiji. Inui merely looked at the speaker (it was hard to read his expression because of his thick glasses).
 
“Taka-san, you gave me a heart attack!” said Eiji as he looked over his shoulder, looking at Kawamura, who was `on fire' and was swinging his racket violently.
 
Will you play me or not?” the power tennis player roared in his usual English knack. “Coz I'm definitely BUUUUUURRRRRRNNNIIII—” He stopped and blinked innocently once a smiling Fuji pulled his racket out of his grip.
 
“Huh?” he said blankly to the other three. “What's wrong?”
 
“Nothing at all,” said Eiji quickly, showing an overly wide smile.
 
“Sorry,” Fuji said to Inui with a serene smile. “I can't help but hear your conversation.”
 
“Don't mind it, Fuji,” said Inui.
 
“Why is it he had forgiven Fuji and not me?” murmured Eiji to Oishi in an undertone.
 
“I heard that,” said Inui abruptly, smiling at Eiji with malice. Eiji crept behind his doubles partner.
 
“About Ringo-san,” Fuji started, “I really think her name is familiar to me, aside from the fact that she is a famous European tennis player.”
 
“Really?” said Oishi, observing Ringo as well. “Ringo seemed very mysterious then.”
 
They watched as Ringo and Ryuzaki-sensei talked, and after a moment their tennis coach got onto her feet ad cleared her throat loudly.
 
“Okay boys, ten-minute break!”
 
The whole club left their businesses to salute to Sumire. “Hai!”
 
The regulars then approached the benches to refresh themselves.
 
“Here are water jugs, Momo and Ryoma-kun!” called out Ringo, throwing two water jugs at Momo and Ryoma, who had caught them in mild surprise.
 
“Thanks, Ringo-chan!” said Momo.
 
Ringo smiled at him before turning her attention to Kaidoh. “Here is a face towel, Kaidoh-kun.”
 
Kaidoh deeply blushed at this, and murmured a `thanks' before grabbing the towel and burying his reddening face in it.
 
“Eiji-senpai, Inui-senpai,” called out Ringo, handing the two regulars spare balls to put in their pocket. “I heard you requested for it.”
 
“Whoah, thanks, Ringo-chan,” said Eiji happily. “But you don't need to do this. You're our guest here.”
 
“Nah, I don't want to just sit here and do nothing! I don't want to be a burden for you guys.”
 
“Then why don't you play a match with one for us?” Inui said.
 
Ringo's smile dropped for a second, then she hitched it back up quickly. “No, thanks, Inui-senpai. I don't have any extra clothes with me. Anyway, where's Tezuka-senpai?”
 
Inui knew she changed the subject on purpose, but decided not to comment about it anymore. It was Fuji who answered the hanging question.
 
“He's running laps around the tennis grounds, Ringo-san,” he said, as he checked the wires of his racket. It was not necessary, though; he said he's doing that as punishment for being absent in our morning practice earlier.”
 
“Tezuka,” Oishi sighed, shaking his head. “He doesn't forgive even himself.”
 
Ringo frowned at this. “Well, it's my fault why he's late. He doesn't have to do that…”
 
“Tezuka-buchou is a very upright person,” Momo added up. “But sometimes he's being way too serious…”
 
“I think I agree with that,” said Ringo, looking Tezuka's neatly folded Seigaku jersey laid on the bench beside her.
 
“Look, he's there,” said Eiji suddenly, causing most of them to look where he was pointing at. Tezuka had stopped near the taps, panting as he leaned on his knees.
 
I think I have an idea, thought Ringo, smiling as she watched the captain.
 
 
 
~>+<+>+<+><+>+<+>+<+><~
 
 
 
 
Tezuka wiped sweat off his forehead with an arm. Three more laps, he thought. His original goal was fifty laps, but he got so carried away that he had already exceeded by ten laps the moment he realized it. He then decided to make it sixty-five instead.
 
“Care for a rest, Tezuka-senpai?”
 
The Seigaku captain looked up to see Harinozuka Ringo beaming up at him, offering a white towel and a water jug. He stared at her for a moment, deciding whether to accept her offer or not. He decided that he would.
 
“Thank you,” he said, holding the towel and the jug. Ringo watched him as he buried his face in the white cloth.
 
“Maybe you're already tired of hearing this,” she said, “but I really apologize and thank you for what you did.”
 
“Honestly,” said Tezuka, as he slung the towel on his shoulder and pull the jug lid open, “I am.”
 
Ringo chuckled.
 
Tezuka frowned at her. “Is something wrong?”
 
“Nothing, really,” Ringo said. “It's just that you seem to know nothing but tennis and studies.”
 
The buchou didn't know how to react to the compliment, for he didn't know whether to find it insulting or funny. He decided to ignore it.
 
“You know,” Ringo prodded on, “you don't need to run laps. It's my fault why you're late. All you have to do is blame me for everything and throw me a consequence. I won't complain, I promise…not to the person who saved not only my lie, but also a cat's! You're the captain, you have the license to excuse yourself from punishment.” She was surprised, however, when Tezuka gave her the smallest smile she had ever seen; well, it's already a big deal when it came from someone like him.
 
“Are you saying that I should abuse my power as the captain?” he said.
 
Ringo blinked at him, before bursting into laughter. “Man, you're so funny!”
 
Tezuka eyed her wearily.
 
“You're someone who's taking all things too seriously!” cackled Ringo. It was too late when she realized that it was Tezuka Kunimitsu she was talking to, a person definitely not to cross.
 
“Sorry!” she squeaked quickly. “I-I didn't mean it!”
 
She ogled nervously at him, waiting for his blow. I think I had gone too far that he was so angry that he couldn't even speak! Great job, Ringo!
 
Tezuka remained staring at her with an unreadable expression. She concluded that he was indeed annoyed. She gulped.
 
“Ano…I-I forgot myself…I'm so sorry! Gomenasai!” she said, now clearly panicked. Baka Ringo…
 
Yet, what she expected didn't come at all.
 
“Don't mind it,” said Tezuka. He returned the water jug and towel to her and turned his back to the girl, then resumed in running laps.
 
Ringo stared at his retreating back. Tezuka-senpai is really weird. Once he disappeared from her sight, she finally walked back to the benches to watch the others practice.
 
 
But unknown to her, Tezuka had come to a halt once he was sure that she was indeed gone. He looked back at the spot where Ringo was just at. Nobody had ever talked to him as informally as she did except for his senior teammates at Seigaku and his family. It was a very long time that someone had….actually made fun of him. She is a weird girl, he finally concluded.
 
He had failed to notice that a smile had curved his lips at the thought.
 
 
 
 
 
~>+<+>+<+><+>+<+>+<+><~
 
 
 
 
 
 
Author's Note: There you go! A nice Chappie 5! Though I think I'll not be working on Act vi right away…I would be away for almost two weeks! *Sighs* Please don't get mad…and Thank you again for reading…For those new here please leave a comment/review…I would love to hear from you!
 
 
 
Ja!
 
 
 
-- karupin_019