Prince Of Tennis Fan Fiction ❯ When Tezuka Had Fallen For Her ❯ Act vi ( Chapter 6 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Author's Note: Thanks so much for all of your reviews! Now here's the sixth chapter…hope you guys enjoy it! I think this is where it all really gets growing…
To all Filipinos out there: Sana magustuhan niyo `to…. *hehe*
 
 
PLEASE READ THIS: About the color of Ringo's eyes…it's BLUE-GRAY, not brown, as what I have stated in Act iii…it was a mistake; I had her mixed up with my other original character in my other story…I'm so sorry for the typo!!!! It won't happen again…Gome….
 
 
Disclaimer: As you all very well know, I don't own PoT
 
 
 
 
 
~>+<+>+<+><+>+<+>+<+><~
 
Act vi
 
~>+<+>+<+><+>+<+>+<+><~
 
 
 
 
The Seigaku tennis club's afternoon practice had just ended, and the regulars were gathered around Ryuzaki-sensei for final instructions, with Ringo standing just outside the circle, waiting for them to finish.
 
Sumire sighed. “Lads, you all very well know that the Nationals is just a few months away. And I don't want you letting your guards down and slacking off.”
 
Most of the nine people gathered around her nodded briefly.
 
“I see that you don't take it easily.” The coach smiled. “Inui, how is it so far?”
 
“Each individual's skills had improved,” stated Inui. “Taka-san is following the training program I made to improve his control over his Dash Hadoukyuu, and I hope Echizen is still following my modified food table to do something about his growth.”
 
Ryoma stifled a snort.
 
“I pointed out all the possible loopholes in the Golden Pair's Australian Formation,” continued the data-man, “and Kaidoh is doing twice the program I provided to master his Boomerang Snake. And finally, I am currently working on Eiji's major weakness: his stamina.”
 
“I guess it's really a problem, isn't it?” murmured Eiji sadly, staring at the ground.
 
“Now, Now, Eiji-senpai!” Momo said, wrapping an arm on Eiji's neck. “What's with the tone of voice?”
 
“Momoshiro is right, Kikumaru,” said Sumire. “Now is not the time to be pessimistic. I'm sure we can do something about it.”
 
“Nya,” replied Eiji, though he still looked down.
 
“I think that's all for the day,” concluded Tezuka, in his usual poker face. “Remember not to let your guard down. Dismissed!”
 
“Hai!”
 
As the regular team began to head towards the clubhouse, Sumire approached Ringo, who was sitting on a bench, looking at particularly nowhere.
 
“So how is it, Ringo?”
 
Ringo jerked her head up at the woman distractedly. “Oh, Sumire-san. Is the meeting over?”
 
“Seems so,” replied Sumire. She sat next to the young girl. “By the way, where did you say do you live again?”
 
“Just a few kilometers away from Tokyo Central. It's quite far from here.”
 
“Really?” said Sumire. “If you want, I can give you a ride.”
 
Ringo was surprised. “Eh? Eto…you don't need to, Sumire-san…”
 
The Seigaku coach frowned. “But your place is a long way to go, and it's getting dark. It's not safe for you.”
 
“Don't worry,” said Ringo, smiling. “I'm used to it, anyway.”
 
“Are you sure?”
 
They were interrupted by the noises the Seigaku team made as they walked out from the clubhouse.
 
“So, to the hamburger shop, Echizen?” asked Momo.
 
“But Momo-senpai would pay for me,” Ryoma said casually.
 
“N-Nani?” said Momo, obviously outraged. “Y-you….you really never treat me like a senpai!”
 
“Daijobu,” piped up Eiji, joining in as they walked away to the school gate, “Today, it's my treat.”
 
“Eiji, remember, we still need to practice our coordination!” reprimanded Oishi.
 
Eiji sighed and slouched back by Oishi's side. “Hai, hai…Though I really want to treat the kouhais today…”
 
The last ones to go through the doors were Tezuka and Fuji, who as usual were walking side by side quietly. It was then when an idea struck Sumire.
 
“Ah! I have an idea…”
 
Ringo watched curiously as Sumire raised a hand to beckon towards the two senior regulars. “Tezuka!”
 
The taller senior came to a halt to look over at the coach.
 
“Come over here!” said Sumire loudly.
 
Tezuka said something to Fuji, before approaching the old woman. “Hai?” He noticed a curious-looking Ringo by his coach, and their eyes met for a second before he looked back to Sumire.
 
“Where do you live again, Tezuka?” asked the coach.
 
The captain seemed a little puzzled at the sudden question. “I live at the residential area about three kilometers east of Tokyo Central.”
 
East of Tokyo Central, thought Ringo. The residential area…a familiar place…Wait a minute! Could it be…?
 
Sumire nodded. “It's perfect,” she said silently, almost to herself.
 
Both Ringo and Tezuka looked at her blankly.
 
 
 
 
~>+<+>+<+><+>+<+>+<+><~
 
 
 
The trip back to home was a bit weary but at least enjoyable for Ringo, as she had the chance to look at Tokyo more closely this time. It takes one bus trip, a few-minute train ride, and a short walk to get to her house, which of course is a tiring trek, not to mention dreary. But at least unlike earlier, she was not alone in taking this painstaking journey.
 
“Anou…” she said slowly. “Thanks, Tezuka-senpai.”
 
She and Tezuka are now aboard the train, both of them standing amongst most of the other passengers with a hand on the handles hanging above them. Yellow-orange afternoon rays spilled all over them through the train windows.
 
“It's nothing,” replied her companion shortly. Alright, he wasn't much of a company, but Ringo is still grateful that he had agreed to escort her home. Or maybe it's because he just doesn't want to say no to the coach, and really didn't care about her at all? Either way, he was there by her side, so she still needed to thank him for that.
 
But I'm certain that this guy is not the sociable type, she thought, nodding mentally.
 
Meanwhile, as Ringo busied herself in her own thoughts, Tezuka silently observed his companion for today out of the corner of his eye. Not that he was interested; of course, it's natural to observe her—you can't possibly ignore and not give the slightest damn about the one you're supposed to be escorting.
 
But he can't deny that she was indeed something, having won junior competitions in UK. What kind of playing style does she have? But Tezuka isn't the inquisitive type, so he thought it would be better to keep silent. (A/N: It was Tezuka, after all)
 
Ringo on the other hand is the kind of person who couldn't withstand even a minute of awkward silence, and now was about the longest uncomfortable moment she had ever experienced. Tezuka wasn't showing any sign of inclination on any conversation at all.
 
Being quiet is okay, she thought grudgingly. But anything too much is not good! How can he keep quiet like this?! It's like I'm alone, too! She didn't notice that she had sighed exhaustedly at the thought.
 
A few more minutes of standing around, the train finally slowed down as it entered the terminal. People began to disembark, and came along Ringo and Tezuka.
 
The two of them had just shown any sign that they actually knew each other and are together when they had already walked out of the terminal premises. To put it simple, Ringo couldn't take the silence anymore.
 
“Tezuka-senpai,” she finally said, “I didn't know your house was near mine. What a coincidence, isn't it? It's like we're stuck together again.”
 
Tezuka glanced at her. “Aa, it's too coincidental that it also seems suspicious.”
 
A muscle twitched under Ringo's eye. “Aah…sou ka.” Really… She didn't know whether to find it funny or offending. I think this guy is also very analytical…Well, what do you expect from the Seigaku captain? Oh…wait…! It just occurred to her that she was forgetting again to give his blazer back, so she bent to open her bag and rummage within it. She was glad that she has to say something necessary.
 
“Senpai, I have your blazer…here,” she said, finally finding the object and handing it out to the tall boy. “I forgot to return it to you earlier…so, here you go.”
 
Tezuka seemed mildly confused. He looked at the blazer intently. Yes, he was sure it was his. “Thank you,” he said, receiving the jersey. It was a second before he recalled the reason why Ringo had his jersey, and had vaguely wondered how come he had forgotten such a thing (A/N: Really, he forgot about it?!).
 
“What's with the look?” asked Ringo as she observed the captain's face. She chuckled as she deciphered the meaning behind Tezuka's slightly bemused expression. “Don't tell me…you forgot that your jersey was with me?
 
“I apologize.”
 
“Oh, I give up!” Ringo exclaimed in mock defeat, raising her arms in the air. She quickly put them down when she realized that she had attracted some people's attention. Tezuka-senpai is hopeless.
 
Tezuka didn't bother to reply to this, and so they were back indulged in silence (to Ringo's disappointment).
 
They walked more for the next two minutes, until something familiar reached Ringo's ears amidst the street noises of Tokyo. Plopping sounds of tennis balls hitting the clay surface of nearby courts. She searched for the source of the din, and found herself looking up at a set of steps ascending from where she stood. She assumed that public courts were located somewhere beyond those stairs.
 
“I didn't know tennis is this popular in Japan,” she said. “There are even public courts now.” Of course she spoke to herself; how can she expect Tezuka to reply?
 
“Hai,” Tezuka suddenly said, making Ringo almost trip. “Tennis is slowly being acknowledged nationwide. There are also public courts somewhere near our school.”
 
They came into a halt at the bus stop, and, as if on cue, a bus parked itself to gather passengers.
 
 
 
 
~>+<+>+<+><+>+<+>+<+><~
 
 
 
 
“We're here at my apartment building!” announced Ringo, pointing at a fairly large building with almost-fading light green paint. The windows (thank god!) are well-maintained, and seemingly the rooms as well. “My room's in that window on the second floor, the one second from the left,” she added unnecessarily.
 
“You live in Keiko Apartment,” said Tezuka, observing the building critically.
 
“Thanks again, Tezuka-senpai,” said Ringo happily, bowing at him. “At least I have someone to talk to while on the way home. By the way, I think you live somewhere nearby?”
 
“Aa,” said Tezuka, in his monotonous voice. “My house is quite close by.” He turned to look at the house facing Keiko Apartment.
 
Ringo did the same, and her eyes slowly widened.
 
“Tezuka-senpai,” she said hoarsely. “We're neighbors?
 
 
 
 
 
 
~>+<+>+<+><+>+<+>+<+><~
 
 
 
 
Author's Note: That's Act vi for you! Thanks so much for the reviews guys! Ja! *mom's not in the mood*