Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ The Sins of the Father ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]


The Sins of the Father


by Lord Raa


Chapter 1


----------


As Ranma walked tiredly to his assigned barracks he encountered Brigadier General Gran.

"Mr Saotome, did you find anything on the Philosopher's Stone?"

"No, sir. All I found was a bare trace of Genma's trail."

Gran placed a hand on the young alchemist's shoulder. "You're a strong man, you'll get through this. I promise that you will get your deserved chance to use the stone when it's found."

Saluting the officer, Ranma continued on his journey to his bunk.

'I'm still amazed by his ability to keep on going with his condition. He's a credit to us all,' Gran thought as he considered Ranma's situation.


----------


Unlocking the door to his room, Ranma thought bitterly about the Chancellor's orders. 'Damn, am I ever going to be free of this curse?'

Having picked up his mail from the post office, Ranma finally paid it enough attention to note the postmark. He smiled when he realised that it was from his old friend, Winry.

"I wonder what that tinkerer is up to?"

Laying down on his bed, Ranma opened the envelope and read up on the latest developments in his friend's life.


'Dear Ranma,

It's been a while hasn't it?

Are you taking care of yourself properly? I do hope that my best friend in the whole world isn't doing anything too reckless.

I've been busy myself, perfecting my skills. In fact, if all goes to plan, I'll have a new hand for you with me when I pay you a visit for your birthday.

How is life for one of the best State Alchemists in history? Surely you must be in high demand for missions. Or have you managed to charm them into allowing you "detatched duty" for a little longer?

I know that this is a short letter, but not a lot has happened here recently. I guess that life in Central City is that much more exciting than when you're out here in the country.

Anyway, I have to go now, so I'll see you for your birthday next month.


Love,

Winry.'


Undressing for his much needed sleep, Ranma reflected on the letter. 'That told me about as much as these notes ever do. She leaves out details in her letters deliberately, as an excuse to spend more time talking with me. And I'm glad that she does,' he finished with a smile.

As was the rule, whenever he recieved a letter from Winry, he slept well. When the morning arrived, he felt better than he had done for a while


----------


When Lieutenant Colonel Hughes came looking for Ranma, he entered without knocking.

Ranma turned to the sound of the intrusion. "Hughes, I know you have a good reason for barging in. Now what is it that's so important that we have to stand here with the door open?"

Hughes instantly composed himself. "Sorry, Ranma. We've got a situation that requires your attention."

"Ok, just let me get dressed and I'll be there."

As Ranma quickly dressed, Hughes noted the scarring on Ranma's body. 'Some of that looks recent.'

"Well, shall we go?" Ranma asked, clad in his usual outfit: comfortable black trousers, tied at the ankle and a red shirt made from the highest quality silk.

Hughes nodded.

As the pair opened the door to Mustang's office, they were not surprised to see a smirk the face of their superior.

"Colonel," Ranma got to his point, "you wanted to see me about something?"

Mustang cleared his throat. "Ranma, the Chancellor has handed me an unusual order. He wants someone to pick up a new candidate for the state alchemy examination."

"And just how am I uniquely qualified for this particular task?" Ranma asked with a tone of suspicion.

Mustang always enjoyed these little games with the young alchemist. "This is no ordinary girl."

'She's either jailbait, a complete minger or related to someone really important,' Ranma concluded. 'Or he'd be there picking her up.'

"She's been brought up in a all girl environment," Mustang continued. "Her guardian said that men make her feel uncomfortable, but as she needs to be briefed on life as a State Alchemist, we felt you would be best suited."

"Permission to speak freely, sir?" Ranma asked.

"Yes, Ranma."

"If you've finished taking the piss, what did you want me for?" Ranma was not impressed by the Colonel's jokes about his condition.

Mustang laughed. "I'm sorry Ranma, I couldn't resist. The Chancellor does want you to go out to East City to pick up a doctor. After you've met her, you're to head to Xenotime."

Ranma was appeased by the truth. "And what is her business in Xenotime?"

"There have been cases of a disease that might be alchemy related," Mustang answered him. "She will need protection and assistance."

Ranma nodded. "Any reason for giving me this assignment?"

"Yes, you were requested for this assignment by both the Chancellor and the doctor in question," Lt Hawkeye answered for the Colonel. "It seems that you've made quite the impression with the public."

Ranma nodded again. "What's the doctor's name and when do I leave?"

Lisa Hawkeye handed Ranma a file. "Here's the information you need. You're booked on the 9.55 night train to East City. Sorry about the short notice."

Ranma thanked the adjutant and took his leave of the Colonel.


----------


As Ranma ate in the canteen, he turned to face the Lieutenant Colonel. "Did you know about the Colonel's joke, Hughes?"

Hughes shook his head. "After the incident with the yellow dress, my wife found out about the Colonel's treatment of you. She made me promise to either let you know or sabotage his plans. She's grown quite fond of you, you know."

Ranma smiled. "Let her know that I appreciate all you've done for me, the both of you."

"So what does the file say about this doctor, Ranma?"

Ranma sorted through the elements of the dossier and found the photo. "That's her, Dr Chrissie Steiner."

Hughes appraised the image of an attractive young lady. Her raven locks framing a face the held a smile that could light up a room. 'Nice,' he thought.

Ranma gave his friend an overview. "She's been researching the use of alchemy in medicine. Apparently she's highly respected despite her young age and relative inexperience."

"Ah yes, youth and enthusiasum. Reminds me of someone I know," Hughes idly commented.

Ranma rolled his eyes. "Whatever you say, old man."

This made Hughes splutter in indignation. "O-old man?"

Getting up, Ranma smiled. "Take care, Hughes. I've got to go, I'll see you when I get back."


----------


As the train pulled into East City, Ranma noted the time. Or rather his stomach did.

*Growl*

"Breakfast time, methinks."

Grabbing his bags, Ranma left the carriage for the concession stand.

"Hey, you're Ranma Saotome aren't you?"

Turning to the direction of the voice Ranma saw the young doctor. "Dr Steiner, right?"

The raven-haired girl nodded. 'He's a handsome one.' "You can call me Chrissie, if I can call you Ranma."

Ranma shrugged. "Sure, if it'll make the trip easier."

"Great, but we don't have time to waste, our train leaves in a few minutes," Chrissie made a move for the alchemist's hand.

"Careful. I don't like to be touched, and I'm strong enough to carry my own bags."

Steiner balked at Ranma's tone. "Oh-kay. But we really should get going."

"Yeah, yeah, I need food. They didn't have anything good on the train," Ranma took on his surly 'I haven't eaten yet' tone.

"Oh," was all Chrissie could say in reply. "I've got some snacks with me."

"All right then, I'm ready."


----------


On the train Chrissie was getting bored by the lack of conversation with Ranma. "So why'd you become a State Alchemist?"

Ranma looked over the top of his paper. "You buying lunch when we get to Xenotime?"

Chrissie nodded.

"It's a long story," Ranma's face remained neutral. "The gist of it is that I need the knowledge that the State Alchemists have access to."

"Oh you can't just stop it there, I need to know now!" the young doctor was now a lot more interested in the pigtailed alchemist's motivation.

"Why'd you request that I accompany you on this trip?" Ranma asked. "There are other alchemists that would have been escorted you if you asked them nicely."

Chrissie, to her credit, answered honestly. "I heard that you were looking for a cure to a condition that is alchemy related. I thought that I could help you, that is what doctors do, you know. Besides, I heard that you were among the best at protecting people."

"True on both accounts, Dr. Like I said, it's a long story. It starts back when I was living at home."


----------


To be continued...


Author's notes:

I have decided to change the title of the ruler of the land to Chancellor. Normally I care very little for political correctness, but someone whose opinion I respect said that use of the word "Fuhrer" made him uncomfortable.

Next time: Ranma's character is fleshed out a tad.



Any questions?

Comments?

Criticism?

Like it? Loathe it? Let me know why, people!

If you don't tell me, then how can I know what's good and what's not?

Email is (lordraa) AT (hotmail.com)

or (lordraa) AT (digitalpimp.co.uk)