Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sealed Past ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3
--
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
--
 
“Damn kids.” Kagome muttered angrily, picking her way through the wreckage in the local street market. She gave an aggravated sigh of disgust as she flipped raven coloured hair over her shoulder. “They were here again?” She sympathetically said to a fruit vender as she paused to help him pick up his scattered produce.
 
“Yes, it was those cursed Nerima Wrecking Crew!” The man growled in angry frustration as he straightened his signs. “It doesn't matter what we do, those brats just won't stop! They're always fighting and never take into consideration what's in their path! It doesn't matter what it is. If it's in their way they just destroy it trying to kill each other!”
 
Kagome continued to nod in sympathy as she listened to him rant, privately wondering if perhaps it was time to invite her son home for the up-coming summer holidays. He could help clean this matter up.
 
“Thanks for listening to my troubles Higurashi-san.” The vendor finally said as they got the last of the mess straightened and her weekly purchases had been made.
 
“It's no trouble at all. I'd like to get my hands on them myself.” She replied with a warm smile.
 
“Wouldn't we all, wouldn't we all.”
 
Chuckling at his response she picked up her bag and made her way to the next vendor's stall to help clean up and make her grocery purchases.
 
***
 
Slouched with his hands in his pockets, Ranma kicked the can in front of him as he made his way down the street. He was getting sick and tired of day in and day out the same old thing happening. Fighting, yelling, and trying to mediate between his three `fiancées.'
 
God damnit, why'd the old bastard have to sell him off to half the Eastern world anyway? He was feeling more and more restless. Like there was something he could do or was suppose to do, but he just didn't know what it was. For a time, fighting with Saffron had seemed like the answer but now he knew that it was something else out there. Something else that would satisfy this restless discontent.
 
Kicking the can again he rounded a corner and gave an “Oomph!” of surprise as he ran into someone and was knocked nearly off his feet. The other person gave a similar sound of surprise as they were knocked to the ground, scattering the contents of the bags she'd been carrying.
 
“I'm sorry miss,” Ranma said automatically as he dropped to the street to help her repack her bags.
 
“That's alright,” she replied with an embarrassed laugh and smile, “I wasn't looking where I was going either.” The groceries finally gathered and repacked they stood and eyed each other curiously.
 
He was briefly surprised to realise that this woman whose head just brushed the top of his chin, would have been as tall as he was months ago before the Saffron incident. Wearing a soft green turtleneck that hugged her torso and legs encased in form fitting jeans, her face was not stunningly attractive, but had a quiet beauty like Kasumi's with warm brown eyes.
 
Tilting her head back she in turn studied the young man wearing black kung-fu pants and a Chinese style red shirt. Tall and broad shouldered, he was almost a man, his face well defined and strong with his strength of character. His grey eyes also showed the strength of will and determination, and seemed to also hold a wealth of experiences.
 
“Thank-you for your help,” she said softly with a bow of her head, “But if you'll excuse me I've got hungry mouths at home to feed.”
 
“Of course,” Ranma replied with a touch of shared embarrassment, “And once again I'm sorry for knocking you down.”
 
Smiling again she gave another bow of the head and disappeared around the corner.
 
For long moments Ranma stood on the sidewalk, still confused by the incident. Oh, he'd been interested in girls before, but none had quite the effect on him like that woman had. Like there was something surreal about her. Staring at his feet he tried to figure it out. He blinked when he realized that he was staring at the woman's purse.
 
“Shit!” He swore aloud, it must have fallen out of the woman's pocket when she'd fallen. Picking the purse up he dropped it into the back pocket of his pants. If he hurried he might be able to catch up with her.
 
Turning around and jogging down the street he tried to spot the woman again. There she was he realized in relief as she walked around another corner. Picking up the pace, he dashed forward and rounded the same corner. She was already half way down the sidewalk, breaking into a run he yelled after her. “Excuse me Miss, but you dropped your purse!”
 
The woman paused in mid-stride and then turned around, allowing him to close the distance between them. “You forgot your purse.” He said again as he dug it out and held it out to her.
 
“Oh! Thank you again. It was very kind of you to return it. Please let me repay you.”
 
Ranma merely shook his head. He didn't really want any payment.
 
“But I insist, come in and at least let me give you a thank you meal.”
 
“Come in?” Ranma asked puzzled as he glanced about. This side of the street was a steep hill thickly carpeted in trees.
 
“Yes, my family's shrine is just up ahead.” She said, gesturing to the massive staircase in the hillside crowned by a Shinto torii[1].
 
Ranma's eyes nearly bulged out, she lived up there? Nodding in agreement to appease his sudden curiosity, he followed her to the foot of the staircase. “Just how many steps are there?”
 
“Ah… four-hundred ninety-nine, there use to be five hundred many years ago but when the city put the sidewalk in one of the stone steps was covered by the concrete.”
 
***
 
Finally reaching the top, Ranma had to stop to catch his breath as he noticed with embarrassment that the woman wasn't even winded. The shrine grounds were large and elegantly kept, a sacred tree rose high above its neighbours, to one side was a small shrine house with its doors shut, to the other was a much larger temple. Away from them was a rather modern looking house.
 
“Could you get the door for me?” She asked once they reached the house. Nodding Ranma did as she asked, surprise that something that usually made him angry when Akane or one of the others asked him do it didn't bother him now.
 
“Oh, how silly of me,” she said with laugh, “I haven't even introduced myself, I'm Higurashi Kagome.”
 
“Saotome Ranma,” he replied.
 
“Please to meet you Saotome-kun, right this way into the kitchen.” Dropping the bags onto the counter, she made short work of the groceries and was soon moving about the kitchen making dinner as Ranma watched with a growing feeling of discomfort.
 
--------
Footnote
[1] Torii: n. shrine gate