Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sealed Past ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2
--
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
--
 
Kagome watched the scenery outside the tinted window change from the crowded streets of the inner city, to the suburbs, and from that into the scenery of the country.
 
Almost a decade had passed since the Fates had sealed the gateway between times. And even though she'd gone on with her life, graduating from junior high, and then high school and finally entering a prestigious medical university, she hadn't really been living. She'd merely existed, going from one day to the next waiting, eternally waiting. Waiting for someone she'd learned today had been dead for over sixty years.
 
“Kagome-san?” Came the soft voice from one of the vehicle's occupants.
 
The young woman shifted her attention to the woman seated at Sesshoumaru's side, fingers laced with the great demons'. It still bemused Kagome ever time she saw the brunette woman. “Yes Rin-san?”
 
“We are sorry that we didn't tell you sooner,” Rin's voice was a blend of compassion, sorrow, and remembered personal grief.
 
“I think I understand why,” Kagome said with a soft sigh. “When the Bone-Eater's-Well was sealed I wasn't functioning very well.” She gave a sour smile, remembering the grief that had caused her to lash out at those around her. “I don't think I could have handled knowing that not only would I never be able to return but that he was dead to you as well.”
 
“It still doesn't make it easer does it?”
 
“No. It doesn't.” Kagome replied as the chauffeured car approached the towering gates of a grand estate. “Whose home is this?” She asked idly, watching the manicured lawns and groomed gardens along the drive slide past her window.
 
“This is actually Shippou-kun's home.”
 
“Shippou-chan's?” Kagome questioned with renewed interest. “I guess owning an automobile company pays.”
 
“That it definitely does,” Rin replied with a laugh, “But actually he lived here before he created the company. Because you see, this is the traditional seat of the Fox Lords, and as the oldest nine-tails in the Western Lands, Shippou-kun is undoubtedly the highest ranking Fox Demon Lord.”
 
Kagome blinked, she still had some trouble remembering that not only was Shippou-chan now older then she was, he was also part of the demon nobility. A fact that she still had difficulty comprehending sometimes. Her son was all grown up. And she hadn't seen it.
 
***
 
Shippou nervously paced back and forth in the front foyer, running his hand though tousled russet hair. Nine tails twitching behind him with agitation.
 
“It's going to be alright,” his wife soothed as she descended the curving stairway to his side.
 
Shippou turned towards her, suppressing a sound that was a cross between a growl of aggravation and a whine of worry.
 
“But what if she doesn't—”
 
She laid a finger against his lips, halting the flow of distressed words. “She loves you as only a mother can love her child. The years won't have changed that. And yes I understand your nervousness, but fretting is only going to make things worse.”
 
Reaching up she straightened his ruffled hair as best she could. “I'm the one who should be worried. After all, the only time I met her we had just finished duelling each other in response to my formal challenge to avenge my brother's deaths.”
 
Shippou snorted; a very un-fox like sound. “Souten, the Thunder Brothers were no great loss to the world.”
 
“I know, but it's the principle of things that count.”
 
Before he could form a reply their youngest came barrelling down the staircase. “They're here Papa! They're here!”
 
“Oh god,” Shippou muttered a phrase that was either a curse or a prayer.
 
Souten rolled her eyes at her husband as she moved to open the front door. She would never admit it to Shippou, but she was as nervous as he was. Only she was nervous not only for herself, but for him as well. She knew how long he'd wanted this day to happen, and how badly he'd wanted it to go well.
 
Taking a bracing breath, she opened the door and watched as Sesshoumaru-sama's chauffeur opened the car door, and beautiful woman in her mid-twenties exited, dressed in a pastel-pink turtleneck and a full length denim skirt, her face serenely composed. Her first sight in over five hundred years of the woman her husband viewed as his mother.
 
Moments later Sesshoumau-sama and Rin-sama appeared behind the Shinto priestess and as a group they approached the stairs leading to the entrance where she stood.
 
***
 
“You must be Souten-san, Shippou-chan's wife,” Kagome said as she offered her hand to the stunning woman with waist-length hair who stood in the doorway. Although she didn't see the thunder demon child she'd met in the woman before her, she did recognise the aura signature of an elemental demon.
 
“Kagome-sama, welcome to our home.” The thunder demon replied formally, clasping the offered hand.
 
“Please, there is no need for titles.” Kagome promptly replied; she was still uncomfortable being address as `lady'. “After all, we are family.”
 
“Kagome-san,” the demon replied with a half smile, some tension unexpectedly seeming to ease. She stepped back from the open door and gestured inwards, “Please—”
 
A shriek cut her off as a confusing menagerie of bodies tumbled towards them.
 
“No! We want meet Grandma first!” This from a pair of fox twins.
 
“No! I do!” The second voice belonged to a fox kit no older than three.
 
“I'm eldest, I get to!” Was the command from a fox boy just leaving his adolescence.
 
“No! She's our Aunt, and we know her so we get to meet her first!” This from a group of dog pups as they tussled with their fox cousins.
 
Kagome blinked in surprise. She'd wondered if Shippou had told his children about her and she guessed this mass of fighting demon children was her answer. Wait a minute—had they called her Grandma?
 
A sharp fox yip of command rang from the front of the hallway, echoed by a dog growl from behind her. Each commanded obedience. Instantly the squabbling stopped, the group of demon children sorted themselves out and stood at attention.
 
But her attention was no longer caught by her suddenly acquired grandchildren and nieces and nephews, but by the man standing near the end of the hallway.
 
Dressed in casual jeans and t-shirt, a head crowned by a mop of russet hair. Pointed demon ears barely visible though the strands, with multiple fox tails lashing the air behind him. His brilliant green eyes were locked with her own.
 
Her vision blurred as tears formed. “Shippou-chan.” She whispered hoarsely, struggling to clear her sight.
 
Moments later she was unsure who'd moved first, but they were in each other's arms, clinging to each other. And Kagome no longer fought her tears as Shippou whispered Mama over and over again in her ear.