Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sealed Past ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 1
--
Summary: Origin of “Sealed Memories”. The Bone-Eater's-Well has been sealed by the Gods, leaving Kagome trapped within her own time, forever separated from her soul-mate. But Kagome is not the only reincarnation about from the Feudal Era. [InuYasha. Ranma 1/2]
 
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
--
 
Kagome watched the flowering branches of the Go-Shin-Boku[1] sway in the breeze as she lay on the sun dappled grass. Trying to absorb what she had just been told by the man that for years she'd viewed as an honorary uncle. Tilting her head to the side she shifted her gaze to the silver haired man beside her.
 
“So… you're actually Sesshoumaru-sama.” Kagome said softly, only now clearly seeing the elegantly pointed ears, cheek stripes and crescent moon resting upon his brow beneath the concealment spell he wore.
 
“That is correct Kagome-san.”
 
She drew in a shuddering breath and gazed skywards again. “Why are you here and not Inuyasha like he swore?”
 
The great dog demon hesitated, eyeing the young woman he knew both as an adversary in the Feudal Era and a beloved honorary niece in the 21st Century. Her voice was a dead monotone. Her bronze[2] eyes were equally flat and dull. Perhaps it had not been wise to wait so long to tell her…
 
“I suppose I should begin in the Feudal Era. After your quest had been completed and your return because of Fates decree; the demon slayer and the Buddhist monk as you had hoped were eventually wed and it was they who founded the Higurashi dynasty.”
 
Kagome blinked, Sango and Miroku were her ancestors?
 
“To honour the vow given to you and to them, the dog demons remained as their guardians, sometimes in fact, sometimes in spirit. It was not until the end of the 18th Century that it was realized that their descendents were actually your forefathers though. It was then that the Sunset Shrine came into your family and has remained ever since.”
 
Kagome tried to puzzle through some of that, finally giving up to ponder later.
 
“As for us demons, we survived as we always do, although now we're more of a hidden society that exists along side the human one, with carefully placed operatives in all levels of the government throughout all nations to ensure that what we are is known to only a select few.”
 
She'd wondered about that, what had happened to all the demons. But she's been so numb since her return and the sealing of the Bone-Eater's-Well.
 
“Shippou-kun has also survived and is currently the owner of an automobile corporation, called Toyota. He is also mated to a lightning demon of the Thunder Tribe that you may or may not remember whose name is Souten-san. He has grown up well and has actually become a nine-tails.”
 
A faint smile curved her lips, so her child had grown up and married had he? She felt some of the muffled indifference of pain that had been surrounding her for so long finally beginning to fade.
 
“Inuyasha… my brother… he raised Shippou-kun as well as a father could, teaching him everything as he had promised you. He also stayed by the slayer's and monk's side, and that of their children, their children's children, and so forth. For it was him who often became the legal guardian of whatever child or children of your lineage that were orphaned due to the various wars and other incidents that have occurred these past five hundred years.”
 
Inuyasha as a father… she couldn't quite picture it in her mind, but her heart knew that he would have been a parent any child would have wanted.
 
“He however was not quite content. The wait for you was not something that was easy for him to do. So I believe this is what drove him to his eventual death.”
 
“Death?” Kagome's voice was curiously empty.
 
“He once said that it was only in battle that he could forget the heartache of not being miles but years apart. He died in World War II, killed not only by American demons, but by one of his own. A pure demon that despised being under the command of a half-breed, even if he was of noble blood.”
 
“And these demons… what happened to them?”
 
The question seemed almost idle, but he could sense that if he told her they still lived, it would not be for long. “They did not survive either, my brother may have been half dead when they attacked, but he was still far more powerful than they could have ever dreamed of being.”
 
Kagome's eyes grew empty. A tearing pain tore at her gut. The barrier that had protected her for so long crumbling like a sandcastle in the tide. No. He could not be dead.
 
Sesshoumaru saw the blood drain from her already too pale face. He could only hope that what he was going to say next would allow her to live with some hope. “However, it is known that he as been reincarnated sometime in this era.”
 
“A reincarnation? Where?” Kagome asked sharply as she finally looked at him. Her heart was shattered once again but his words helped ease the devastation.
 
“Close, but who he is and the exact time, we are unable to say.”
 
“How do you know this?” Kagome asked with honest curiosity for the first time, a fragmented memory of a promise made to her by the Fates themselves stirring.
 
As we decree it shall be. Two made one. This one soul divided nevermore.
 
“There are men and women with the ability to scry the future and certain other facts.”
 
“Demons?”
 
“No. Humans with magical abilities that have dealings with us. No demon has ever had the power to predict the future.”
 
Silence descended and for long moments Kagome allowed herself to drift through her memories of the Feudal Era. It had been a hard time but one so simple compared to the `civilisation' of today. With a combination of wistful acceptance and bittersweet longing she finally stored them away. Treasured though they were, they were still now only old memories. It was time to make new ones.
 
“I want to see my son.”
 
Sesshoumaru nodded in acceptance of her words. Like his brother, this young priestess would grow and then the Fates would keep their promise to these two souls who they had destined for each other, and then so cruelly torn apart.
 
--------
Footnotes:
[1] Go-Shin-Boku: the Sacred Tree/God Tree that is on the Sunset Shrine grounds, the very same tree that Inuyasha was pinned to over five hundred years ago by Kikyou's sacred arrow.
[2] Regarding eye colour, there are multiple pictures of Kagome with different shades of blue and violet or brown eyes, I have selected the term bronze to describe them. `Brown' is rather non-descriptive colour term to me.