Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Silent Heart ❯ Chapter 00: A Future Never To Be ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sorry for the original... Yes, I do know how to do paragraphs... but it seems that this site doesn't recongnize the 'dd' html comand... for those of you not savvy in at least the most basic html, it is the command that makes indentation at the begining of a paragraph... if anyone knows of an alternate command, please let me know. It is because of the lack of recongition that my fic draft looked like crap... sorry about that.

One last thing. If any of you would like to be my pre-reader/proof-reader/beta-reader, then just right click on any of my story chapters that you want to fix, 'view source', copy and paste (or just copy and paste if you don't want to deal with html). When I post the first time, that is my beta (as in before anyone else besides me has read it) version. But even after my second post I could still have hang ups, so go ahead and help if you want to. Just e-mail the work you did to me and I'll post the corrections on my next update, with a mention that you helped tagged on, of course.

Thanks to eGGie for the first beta-read. Yeah! People can be helpful.

"..." speech

'...' thoughts

Sailor Moon is the property of Takeuchi Naoko. Ranma 1/2 is the property of Takahashi Rumiko.



To walk a path alone...
That is not how we were made.

Sometimes even in a crowd, we are alone.
It doesn't have to be this way.

Somewhere...
Perhaps far...
Maybe near...
There is another you.

Someone who understands...
Someone who has something you need...
Someone who needs what you have...

Someone who will bring a song to your...

SILENT HEART

~*~

Chapter 00: A Future Never To Be

~*~

Neo-Queen Serenity sat in her throne, her daughter stood before her. Well, the girl wasn't really her daughter, but the daughter of the Queen a month and a half in the future. Her present day daughter was with Mamoru overseeing an expansion project on the neighboring continent. Regardless; the news she had just received from her future daughter, who had just returned from the past, was definitely disturbing. "So why does it have to be him?"

Usagi's face was set with grim determination. "He is the only one of that time period who has the power needed for this task; who has seen and been a part of enough strange things that this will be almost normal for him. Also, he is the most trust worthy of any of the possible candidates."

As the Queen looked through the report Usagi had given her, even at a glance, this boy proved to be the best choice by far. He was definitely the only one uniquely qualified for the engagement, but Serenity felt there was something more. "Is that all?"

"No. In fact, all that you see there was gathered -AFTER- I had determined he was the one." Usagi stated thoughtfully.

Serenity was definitely curious. For such a boy to have passed the intense scrutiny of her daughter, especially when dealing with her best friend while growing up was nothing short of incredible. "What tipped you off, Usa-chan?"

"His eyes." Usagi's smile held a soft pain.

"His. . . eyes?"

"Exactly like Hotaru-chan's. Lonely, tortured, and longing for acceptance. They are so much alike, and so different. Where he never had any real friends, Hotaru can introduce him to people who will not run when the going gets tough. Where Hotaru has suffered a weak constitution, he has fought against enemies while drained of all his strength. With his ever positive attitude and Hotaru's experience in a loving, family-type environment, their kind hearts will resonate." Usagi smiled softly at the thought of her best friend's greatest wish coming true. "They would finally not only have someone who just accepts and loves them, but someone who will understand what they have gone through. They don't need inexperienced sympathy; but someone who has 'been there', someone who has walked the same path. They are kindred spirits." Usagi's smile was full blown. "That and they are the same."

At that last statement, Serenity looked confused for a moment. But then it hit her. "Indeed, they are."

******

Somewhere between time and space there is a location that few know of and even fewer have entered. Sitting in hazy mists and shadows that shimmer in the dark is an artifact of untold age and power.

The Gates of Time.

Before it stood it's protector, Sailor Pluto. Watching with the utmost care that time flows toward the ultimate divine goal unhindered. Problems may arise and battles fought; but as long as time ran the course down it's everlasting flow, she could care less about the minor skirmishes between mortals. However, there were some problems that were just out of her sight. Disasters that would not appear, yet still happen. These she feared most. That is why her Queen checked in with Sailor Mars from time to time. One was a watcher of the temporal, the other of the spiritual.

Suddenly she felt a gust blow at her back, drawing her out of her thoughts and into the 'present'. Behind her a doorway opened, one that was not there a moment ago and not really there even now; but existed none the less.

"Hey ya, Puu-chan." came a very familiar, sugary voice. Well at least as familiar as a six year change will allow. What was important was that Setsuna recognized the voice. While she didn't need to see her to know who she was, she did turn around to look at the rest of the changes in the daughter of her Queen.

Usagi had grown into such a beautiful young woman. As petite as her mother at that age. In fact, if it had not been for her pink hair and red eyes, the Guardian of Time would have sworn that it was her Queen standing before her. Well that and her hair oddly wasn't in it's usually dual odango style. Instead it was in a tight braid going all the way down her back; and her bangs appeared carefully styled, yet somehow flowed with an unruly air, as if planned that way. Also her choice of outfit appeared odd. It wasn't the stately gown that she was required to wear when doing her duties as Princess of Crystal Tokyo, nor was it her common garb of the twentieth century she liked to prance around in; it was not even her Senshi uniform. Simple, baggy, black, silk pants and a sleeveless red shirt; both of Chinese make. The look hinted to something in the back of her memory, but for the life of her she could not recall what.

"Hello Princess, what brings you here?" she greeted Usagi with a bow.

Usagi smirked, again the image before Setsuna was calling to something from long ago. "Come on Puu-chan, you know better than that. When I'm in my civvies you are supposed to call me. . ."

Setsuna smiled remembering all the wonderful times they had spent together while she was growing up. Usagi was the one person besides Hotaru who had seen the other side of who Setsuna really was. In fact, Usagi was the only one to ever see her truly cry. Not a few tears, but really weep. In the last few centuries she had done more to bring her out of her shell then anyone else ever had. Setsuna was still very reclusive, but at least she smiled more now a days. "Sorry about that Chibi-Usa. Long hours and all, you know how it is."

Chibi-Usa sighed while maintaining her cheery disposition. "Tell me about it. Anyways, Mom needs to see you right away. While there is still time on our side, she does have a lot to tell you."

Pluto instantly became serious. "Is it an emergency? Has Rei seen something that I haven't?"

"Not a huge one. . . at least not yet. And yes, Rei-chan did see something. I'll explain on the way to the throne room." Chibi-Usa replied as her face became slightly less cheery.

******

"Okay, so let me get this straight: Hotaru was killed a week ago on the outskirts of the galaxy by some unknown enemy." Setsuna exasperated.

"Right." Usagi nodded seriously.

The Guardian of Time continued worriedly, "And because of how she died, there is now a tear in time-space, hence why I can't see the event."

Usagi just continued to nod the affirmative. "By Ami's calculations, this tear will engulf the entire galaxy in just over two months."

"So during one of Rei's fire readings, she found the reason that Hotaru had exiled herself wasn't because she felt she was a threat as we had all thought, but because she was lonely. Thus she was in the wrong place at the wrong time. So in order to counteract this, Hotaru has been engaged retroactively by the Queen. Is that about it?" The two were walking at a very brisk pace down the main hall of the palace. Setsuna was getting very worried, with the death of one of the Senshi and a tear in time-space things were going from bad to worse in a heartbeat.

"Basically. Mom wants to fill you in on the rest." Usa said as they came up to a large door. "And in we go."

As they walked in, Setsuna noted the lack of guards and attendants. "I sent them home to be with their families. If you fail in your mission, then I want their last months to be spent with those they cherish most. If you succeed, then their absence will not have mattered." came the voice of the Queen, reading her long time friend and adviser. "I trust my daughter was able to bring you up to speed on what could be your final assignment? "

Setsuna nodded in the affirmative. "She has, Your Highness. I imagine you have a particular boy picked out for Hotaru?"

"I do." The smirk on Neo-Queen Serenity's face threw the Senshi of Pluto a bit off balance.

"So, who is this boy you want me to engage to Hotaru? Is he someone from the Silver Millennium? Because if he is and he remembers his past life, it would spell disaster." Setsuna's face was set in worry over her adopted daughter, buried maternal instincts rising once more to the surface of her heart.

Serenity giggled lightly behind her hand. "Oh no, the man I chose was living his first incarnation."

"He was a normal human? I still don't think it will work. I am assuming you mean a mortal. Right?" Setsuna knew that her Queen was very wise, but she had some doubts about this plan of her's.

That strange smirk returned, telling Setsuna once again that she was probably not going to like what her Queen had in mind. "What if the name of the 'normal' human in question was Ranma Saotome?"

Serenity was treated to the most comical sight she had ever seen, the very sight she was hoping to see. Setsuna stood there, slack jawed, pail as a ghost, and on the verge of a massive face fault. "P-pardon me for my rudeness, but I'd say you're out of your mind! He was a nexus of chaos!" she all but screamed.

Just as the Guardian of Time was about to go into a long winded rant, Serenity flatly stated "No."

That had the effect of deflating Setsuna's rant before it really got started. In an even voice, with just a touch of ire she replied. "No what?"

Serenity was stern as she answered. "He is not a nexus of chaos." Suddenly she smiled brightly. "He is a nexus of order."

This time Setsuna did face fault. After getting back up, she addressed her Queen as politely as she could. ". . . Again pardon my rudeness. . . But do you even realize just who you are talking about here? Ranma Saotome is the direct cause of several violent ripples in time that I had to correct both before and after Galaxia and Chaos! Hell, if it hadn't been for that fiancée of his getting to him first, I would have had to kill him myself! He lived in the middle of a mess of engagements that could better be described as a harem. He was the head of what people all over Tokyo refereed to as the 'Nerima Wrecking Crew'. Not to mention he killed a minor god! If he isn't a nexus of chaos, then I don't know what is."

'How right you are, my old friend.' Serenity thought to herself sadly. After a moment she sat forward and smirked that little 'I-know-something-you-don't-know' smirk. Pluto was really starting to wonder if this was divine retribution for all the times she had appeared right behind Serenity when she was still just Usagi. "you want to bet?"

Somehow that little dare at a time like this unnerved Setsuna. ". . .um... Well, what proof is there that he isn't?"

"You are right that there was a nexus of chaos in Nerima, Pluto. The only thing you got wrong was the who. Remember, it is one's actions that determine who they are. Also, nexus' of chaos tear down the harmony of order, break down common sense, and cause all other beings no end of trouble. Ranma Saotome had to endure a ten year 'training' trip, a curse placed upon him, multiple fiancées that wanted him dead or in the sack at one time or another, and he had to defeat a minor god that was corrupted and suffered from delusions of grandeur. In short, he is a nexus of order that never was nurtured and was put through more than any other being of order before him. Let me put it this way: Judging from the fact that somehow he had a pure heart and by some miracle was able to hold on to his honor beyond even his dying breath. If he had been nurtured and raised in a loving environment, you would have done everything in your power to have him married to me instead of Mamoru, just for the sake of how much greater Crystal Tokyo would be. But as nice as that idea might sound, it is not the change I want you to make."

Pluto was shocked, it made complete sense. She never thought of it that way before. "If he is not the nexus of chaos, then who is it?"

"Don't you mean who are they?" Serenity asked.

"What?" Now Pluto was just straight confused.

The Queen's countenance was once again all business. "Remember that chaos cares not for common sense, honor, peace, love, and especially order. Taking this into account, my greatest scholar has discovered those who were really tainted by chaos. The ones we know of are Happosai, grandmaster of the Anything Goes school of martial arts. . ."

Setsuna felt back on familiar ground. After all, who in Tokyo hadn't heard of the pervert? "That goes without saying."

Serenity sighed exasperatedly. "Indeed. Also the Kuno clan. . ."

Now the time guardian had a noticeable twitch to her left eye. A few years after Ranma's death, she had an unfortunate run in with Tatewaki. Her ears still hurt from listening to the worst imitation of Shakespeare she had ever heard. Being the Guardian of Time, she had heard some pretty bad ones before, but Kuno takes not just the cake, but the ice cream too. "Again not surprising." she said icily.

"Soun Tendo. . ."

Setsuna shrugged. "Well he did hang around the old pervert."

"Akane Tendo. . ." the Queen continued.

"Had a feeling. . ." Pluto was beginning to wonder just how long this list was.

"Nabiki Tendo. . ."

Pluto raised an eyebrow on that one. "I though she had it more together. . . Oh well." she said with a shrug.

"Ryoga Hibiki. . ."

"Well, He did have that ridiculous vendetta against Ranma." she reasoned.

"Ukyo Kuonji. . ."

"That's interesting." It made some sense, but was still unexpected.

"Xian Pu. . ."

"Okay." 'Is there an end to this?'

"Mu Tsu. . ."

"Makes sense." 'Where there is one, the other is sure to follow.'

"Nodoka Saotome. . ."

Setsuna was beginning to wonder how many more times she would be surprised today. "Okay, that I didn't expect."

Serenity sighed remembering what had been in the report she was given. "Remember her view of 'manliness'?"

"Good point." Setsuna relented

"In fact just about everyone in Nerima was a nexus of chaos on one level or another. . . But the greatest source of chaos was. . . Well, I think you can guess this one." Serenity growled. Setsuna was taken back a bit by the sudden change in her Queen. Then after a moment she realized why.

"Genma Saotome." came the my-voice-can-freeze-hell response

"Yep, he was the one truly responsible for Ranma's 'order retardation' if you will. In fact, everything that took place in Ranma's life can be traced back to him. The engagements. The rivals. Everything." Serenity spoke with reserved anger.

"So was Ranma the only one?" asked Setsuna, sensing a need to get back to the point.

Serenity was grateful to her fellow Senshi for changing the subject back to the matter at hand. "No, in fact there were actually four nexus' of order in Nerima: Ranma, Dr. Tofu Ono, Kasumi Tendo, and Kho Lon."

"Cologne?" Setsuna would have put money on her being a nexus of chaos.

Serenity nodded, and upon seeing her advisor's confusion, elaborated. "Though she never did drop the kiss of marriage, all she ever really did was train Ranma. In fact, without her, Ranma would not have survived his three greatest battles: Pantyhose Taro, the Musk prince Herb, and the Phoenix god King Saffron."

Setsuna was very surprised, she thought that she was above prejudice. Was this ever an eye opener. "Well that is the first bet I have ever lost since becoming the Senshi of Pluto. So, what now?"

Serenity sat back in her throne. "Simple really, make sure that sometime after our battle with Galaxia and his with Saffron, that Hotaru and Ranma meet, fall in love, and get married. Their being together is imperative to saving humanity. It has precedence over preserving this future, because this future is exactly what we hope to avoid." Setsuna rarely ever saw such determination in her Queen's eyes. At least not outside of a battle.

After she though for a moment, she came back to one of her earlier points. "But he was mortal."

This time when Serenity smirked, it was more like the one Setsuna was accustomed to. The 'I-know-you-can-do-it' variety. "I am sure you will find a way around that. Oh, and there is a secondary mission."

As if things couldn't get anymore complicated. Setsuna sighed. "What is that?"

Serenity was glad that Setsuna was taking this better then she thought she would. "Gather the other three nexus' of Nerima. Our scholar found that they didn't last long after Ranma was killed, and they might be of some use."

Setsuna bowed. "Yes, Your Highness." Just before she was going to leave, something about the conversation finally hit her. "If I may Your Highness." Serenity nodded. "Since when do you have a scholar besides Ami? After all, if you meant her, you would have said her name. Who is this great scholar to whom you are referring?"

Both Serenity and Usa giggled at that. "Why, she stands right beside you."

Setsuna began looking around for who her Queen was referring to, but found no one but Chibi-Usa. "Wait a minute. Since when was she a scholar?"

Serenity's countenance was quite mirthful as she spoke. "Usagi was sent back to study and make a report so that we would be able to have this discussion. If she had not gone back, I wouldn't have ever thought about engaging Hotaru with anyone."

Once again Setsuna felt totally confused. "But I never sent her. I knew nothing of this. I. . ." That was when the realization struck. "I sent her back just before the galaxy is swallowed up, and there was not enough power to make a full round trip. But that worked to our advantage, didn't it?"

"Bingo, got it in one!" Usa bubbled.

Another thing fell into place that had been bugging her since this whole thing started. "And you decided to drop a hint to me by dressing like Ranma."

At that, Usa giggled with a lot of good humor and a dash of mirth. "Oh, you are good at this game Puu-chan."

Setsuna had joined in with a good natured laugh of her own. . . That or the stress was finally getting to her, with her you never know. After a good laugh and a farewell, the Guardian of Time returned to her post. She had much to prepare for. Meanwhile, back in the throne room, Usa looked back to her mom. Worry and joy both warred in her face.

"Mom, why didn't we tell her about Hotaru-chan?"

Serenity began staring off into space. Though not really spacing out, but rather seeming deep in thought. She answered with a slightly quieter tone. "I'm sure she'll figure it out for herself."

******

"Okay, so now I understand my future self's reason for sending that message, but I still don't get how Ranma isn't a nexus of chaos." Pluto exasperated.

She had just finished viewing the meeting she would have had in the future with her Queen and the Princess. But the details still didn't mesh right. It was Ranma that had caused the ripples in the timeline, ones that led away from Crystal Tokyo. After a moment, a stray thought got her to thinking. She had never looked at where those threads of time had led, just discarded them in favor of Crystal Tokyo.

As she had done for so many centuries, she turned back to the Gates of Time and began by looking through those discarded threads. As she watched each one, she began to feel a pang of regret. Each new one she looked at, Ranma's presence with the Senshi had made the world a much better place. She had started with the most recent possibility, that being the Senshi joining in his fight against Saffron; which was to take place in three days real-time. As she looked at each possible future, she did find the horrid possibilities she expected to find. But for every one drenched in chaos, there were at least five others where the future looked brighter then she ever hoped. On top of that, the 'bad endings' were not directly Ranma's fault, but that of one or all of his 'family and friends'.

She had enough of looking at the possible futures that will never be. After all, the time that she was chosen to have this knowledge combined with the orders she was given, left her unable to make those changes. Instead she reviewed Ranma's life in a new light. Watching his past with the utmost scrutiny, looking for any evidence that her future self was wrong. She still couldn't believe this boy wasn't what she had deemed him to be. But as she watched each year, each struggle, she saw it. The strength and determination of one who could only be a nexus of order. The Neko-ken, Jusenkyo, the fiancées, and the rivals. Her future Queen was right. None of it was Ranma's fault ultimately. It wasn't that Ranma could do no wrong, but that the wrong he did do was taught to him by Genma. His rudeness, his view on women, his lack of proper social skills, and his lack of education were all directly Genma's fault. His sense of honor could only be from him being a nexus of order, considering Genma's moral bankruptcy. And the more Setsuna saw that Ranma was a nexus of order, the more she saw Genma as a nexus of chaos.

No, more then that, Setsuna saw a plan. She had seen many plans come into fruition, and many lives lived with out much planning. She knew the difference between the two. A nexus of chaos doesn't just put a nexus of order through this much. There should have been a lot more times that Ranma's being a nexus would have allowed him to have seasons of peace. Instead, he was constantly battling either his fiancées, his rivals, his enemies, or all the above. All the evidence pointed to a conscious plan. And that could only mean one thing.

"My Queen, you were wrong about Genma being a nexus of chaos." Setsuna was in awe at the realization she had just made. "Genma Saotome is a representative, an avatar of chaos. This changes everything. I see now that Genma saw Ranma's true potential and felt threatened by it."

She was about to leave for home when something caught her attention. It was Ranma sitting on the roof of the Tendo dojo, three days after the failed wedding. About a week after the present day in real-time. What had her interest wasn't the sight of him on the roof, nor was it that he looked totally spent.

It was his eyes. Eyes that she was sure she had seen before. It was not the color or shape, but the emotion she saw. They were so familiar. So lonely.

"Just like Hotaru's!" she gasped. "But. . . Does that mean I. . . Oh dear God, forgive me! I didn't know. Hotaru, please, forgive me!"

~*~

Next Chapter:

With orders from the future to wed Ranma and Hotaru at any cost,
Setsuna sets about her task.
But will her discovery about Hotaru be a help or a hindrance?
And how will she go about getting Ranma out of the realm of chaos known as Nerima?

SILENT HEART Chapter 01: Exodus