Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ Across the Stars ❯ A Concubine's Desire ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Not mine, gee where do you people get your ideas.
Summary: Akane Tendou has always wanted to be stronger than her rivals, she does not know the potential she actually has to be even better. Another marriage arrangement comes back to bite Soun in the behind. He's got some explaining to do.
 
 
Thank you to those of you who reviewed the last episode of this fanfiction, bet ya all thought I would never update this, huh? Haha.  Well thanks again and I really hope you enjoy this next episode.
 
Across the Stars
Episode 11—A Concubine's Desire
 
 
Both Akane and Ranma's heads twisted around to the direction of the voice, Akane's world nearly fell away when she saw just who was standing there, tall and beautifully intimidating. Akane's heart thundered hard in her chest, she was just caught making out with another man by Jin's own concubine. Akane swallowed hard.
 
“Well, well, what do we have here?” Naomi smirked. “I was sure it was you Lady Akane, now if I'm not mistaken this young man is not the one you are supposed to marry, now is it?”
 
“Naomi.” Akane breathed out, she felt the gagging urge to vomit. She vaguely noticed Ranma moving to stand in front of her in a protective gesture.
 
The tall woman suddenly laughed, but it was cold and empty. “Oh don't worry my Lady, I won't tell the council.” She snickered then taking a quick glance at the boy. she really couldn't blame Akane for wanting one such as him. What was the Earth term that she heard on occasion used when referring to certain males, was the word studly? Naomi thought.
 
Ranma's eyes narrowed in suspicion as Akane's head poked out from around him.
 
“What do you want?” Akane asked as if she knew the woman was after something, “For your silence?” She gripped Ranma's upper arms, tightly, but not tight enough to cause him to cringe under her pressure.
 
Naomi shrugged. “I don't want anything from you, you can't give me what I desire.” She lifted her fingers and glanced down at her finely manicured fingernails, examining them. Perhaps she might get another color for the ball, one to match her beautiful dress tomorrow night. She then lifted her gaze to the guilty teens. “Don't you pay any mind to me, I promise that I will not tell the council.” She then lifted her finger pointing it at them. “Just don't ever do this again, for the next time I see it, I will report you. You know its strict punishment for me to keep any important information from the council, especially treason. But I am doing it for you.”
 
Hearing her tone of voice and the way she was looking at them, Ranma could hear that this girl was definitely up to something. “Why?” Ranma finally spoke, his voice sounding calm and collected, but that is not what he was feeling on the inside, his emotions were raging.
 
Naomi snickered again. “Boy are you two suspicious? Can't you just accept the fact that I don't want to rat you out to the council. Besides it would do me no good, it's not like they will give me what I want if I spill the beans.” She glared a moment at nothing in particular. “I am nothing but a common whore, the council doesn't pay much attention to what we want.” The glare soon faded from her gaze and she smiled sweetly at Akane and Ranma. “You have my word that the council will not hear one word about this from me.” She turned her back, looking at them over her shoulder. “Enjoy yourselves traitors.” Naomi then laughed really hard and, slowly, elegantly moved on through the doors that led back inside.
 
As soon as Naomi was out of sight Akane sank to her knees, trying to still her quick beating heart. “Oh Gods, that was…” She swallowed hard, hoping to keep her world from spinning out of control. The rush of thoughts flooded her mind, someone else knew, someone who she did not trust. This was bad, really bad.
 
Ranma could feel Akane's distress and he softly placed a hand on her back and she stiffened, shifting away from him. “Akane, I…really don't know what to say.” He was not going to apologize for his display of emotions. “I guess we just have bad timing.”
 
Her head snapped around, glaring at him. “Bad timing? Ranma, what were you thinking?!”
 
Groaning Ranma shook his head. “What was I thinking? It takes two remember. I didn't exactly see you pushing me away.”
 
Akane jumped to her feet. “How dare you stand there and just brush this off as if it was my fault, this is very serious. Don't you realize that Naomi is Lord Jin's personal woman?!”
 
“I realize that.”
 
“And you aren't worried, not even a little bit?!”
 
“Who said I wasn't worried, I'm just not expressing the worry on my face.” Ranma answered. “The key is even if you are guilty you shouldn't show it, Akane every expression is always clear on your face, you'll give most away by people just looking at you.”
 
Lifting her hand, Akane rubbed her fingers against her sinuses. “Ranma, do you realize how bad this actually is?”
 
“Don't worry, okay? I will take care of it. You can trust me Akane.” He really wanted to reach out and hold her close, to tell her everything would be all right. But he knew she was fighting within herself and it wouldn't be a smart move right now. “Do you trust me, Akane?”
 
She looked right at him, taking a deep breath. “How could I not Ranma.” Akane needed her space, this day was really taking its toll on her. “I'll see you at dinner, I kind of want to be alone right now.” She turned quickly without giving him a chance to speak and bolted towards the grassy grounds of the palace.
 
****
 
The sounds of someone snoring drifted through the air as Ryo-Ohki frolicked happily along the grassy hills and gardens, her nose then picked up a scent, a truly wonderful scent as her little pink nose wiggled back and forth in the air, she then hurried off in that glorious direction. The snoring got louder as she came to the area where the scent was coming from, and there it was…a picnic basket with a few half eaten goodies lying on plates on the ground, but what really caught the cabbit's attention was the three carrots that had yet to be swallowed by the human type that was lying there sound asleep and making quite a lot of noise.
 
Ryo-Ohki mewed happily as she raced over, bounding through the air. She paid no attention to the tall man with thick hair that carried around that stick who would often make strange word phrases that irritated her mistress and her mistress's friends, all Ryo-Ohki felt from this idiot was that he was arrogant and stupid, and since he was asleep he surely would not be missing this amazing feast of carrot.
 
Smiling, Ryo-Ohki moved over to the carrots, seeing the man with crumbs still on his face from his lunch. She grinned even wider as she hovered over the orange delicacies, she was about to take a bite and she was grabbed.
 
“Oh my Pig-tailed girl,” The sleeping idiot grabbed her and pulled Ryo-Ohki against his chest and rubbed his chin against her. “You've grown a bit fuzzy, you really need to shave my goddess.” He said in his sleep.
 
Ryo-Ohki tried to scramble away from the foul beast, she even made loud high pitched noises to try and get the fool to wake up. All he did was grin in his sleep, the stupid idiot!
 
Kuno was in fact grinning like a madman. “Ah you can not escape me my love, I care too much for you. Here let me prove my profound feelings for thee.” In his dream state he envisioned the pig tailed girl puckering up for his proof of feelings. He leaned forward and kissed her. Suddenly something hard hit him in the face and he heard screaming.
 
“Let go of her you pervert!!” Screamed a normally sweet voice, which held nothing but extreme contempt.
 
Opening his eyes he found him lip to lip with a rodent and his eyes widened, his face turned green, and he violently threw the creature away from him, wiping his mouth and spitting several times. “That was foul.” He looked up into the angry pink eyes of Sasami.
 
“How dare you lay there and violate that innocent cabbit?!” She hit him again with the stick she found.
 
“Ow!” Kuno covered his head. “Desist woman, halt in your striking of this noble Tatewake Ku—.” He was hit on the head again, and again, he couldn't think straight and he jumped to his feet racing away from the insane woman who kept swinging the stick at him. “Stay back, I command you!” He bellowed as she continued to chase him around the gardens.
 
“Get back here and take your punishment like a man, you, you pet molester!” Sasami shrieked swinging Kuno's boken at him. Ryo-Ohki was not paying attention to the humans she was more interested in the carrots on the ground and she dug right in, enjoying every bite while she purred and mewed happily.
 
****
 
Ayeka was on a mission, well not really but she needed to find the Earthlings, they were due for their formal wear fittings. It wasn't exactly easy to find them, but she spotted them, those two girls, Shampoo and Ukyou, they were heading to the kitchens for some reason, probably hungry Ayeka mused. But it wasn't long until dinner. She walked right up to them. “There you two are, I've been looking for you.”
 
“Princess Ayeka,” Ukyou started. “Why would you be searching for us?”
 
Ayeka looked between the two girls. “Well I need you to report to the fitting room, so that you may have appropriate attire for tomorrow night.”
 
“This is something real fancy, ain't it?” Ukyou asked, she was never very feminine but if it would help Ranma see her as something other than one of the guys, she would go for it.
 
Shampoo was smiling, oh this was her chance to look absolutely stunning for tomorrow night, maybe then Ranma would see how truly desirable she, Shampoo is. “Is Ranma all ready?”
 
Ayeka shook her head lightly. “No, I haven't found him yet. I haven't been able to really find any of your party. I'm fortunate I came across you two.”
 
“Ayeka, you should have asked me.” Washu's voice suddenly came from behind Ayeka, startling the princess. “I can track them, with this!” Grinning Washu pulled out some kind of pocket computer device and started typing really fast on it with one hand. Extended her hand then shoving the pocket computer into Ayeka's line of sight.
 
Looking at the screen, Ayeka could see three small orange dots moving around, and two others that were next to two green dots. “What's this?”
 
“It's my newest invention, a locator, I can track anyone with this little baby.” Washu was proud of herself, she truly was the universes' greatest genius. “The orange dots are the Earthlings, the green dots are Juraians, well you and me.” Washu pointed at the two orange dots. “These dots belong to these two girls here, so you will know when you get closer to an orange dot that they belong to the other Earthlings.”
 
“Ah yes, I will use this. Thank you Washu.” Ayeka then turned looking down at the screen as she started tracking the other Earthlings to inform them of what they need to do.
 
Using the locator it was very easy to find all of them, the last one she came across was that of Ranma, he looked a bit depressed. Even though he tried not to show it, Ayeka could read people's emotions clearly, even if they were hiding.
 
“You really should head down to the tailors now, Ranma they need to take your measurements for your formal wear tomorrow night.”
 
With a groan, Ranma rolled his eyes. “I really don't feel like going, can't I just skip it? I ain't one for gettin' all fancied up, ya know?”
 
Ayeka giggled lightly. “Aww what's the matter, you afraid?”
 
“What? Me afraid, no way.” He said with a wave of his hand.
 
“Then why avoid going?”
 
Ranma didn't want to admit it, but it was true he was a little nervous. “What if I don't know how to behave, what if I embarrass everyone including myself?”
 
She couldn't help the smile that crossed her features, Ayeka put a gentle hand on his shoulder. “Everyone feels that way, so you really should attend. It would probably mean a lot to everyone if you showed up. And besides I want to see the look on Lord Jin's face when he sees how nice Earthlings clean up.”
 
“So you're using me and the others to show off?”
 
Ayeka shrugged innocently. “Hey, why not? He really needs to understand that he is not the most important person in the universe. Lord Jin doesn't really grasp the concept that everyone else in the universe is his equal.”
 
“Fine then,” Even though he felt like this was going to be a disaster, he agreed much to his reluctance. After getting the directions to where he needed to go. He started on his way down.
 
 
****
 
What could have caused her to miss dinner, Tenchi searched high and low for Akane. This wasn't like her, she never missed a meal. Even after much protesting from Ryoko that Akane was just fine, it wasn't like she was going to go anywhere. That he should just stay put and leave her alone. But Tenchi had a good heart and he just had to make sure she was all right. It took a good hour to finally locate her, it was a good thing he brought some of tonight's dinner dishes in this food warmer box, it would all be could by the time he found her.
 
But there she was sitting against the wall in the training hall, but she wasn't wearing the traditional Juraian training garb, no she was in her own yellow gi she wore back on Earth, her feet were bare. Tenchi crossed the room, coming in front of her. He watched as she lifted her head, her brown eyes colliding with his own.
 
“You missed dinner.” He said softly.
 
She nodded slowly and then glanced away from him and to the left. “I know, I wasn't hungry.”
 
Tenchi moved and sat down next to her, putting the food box on the floor in front of her. “You still need to eat, Akane, it does no good to sit in here and go hungry, your body will be mad at you.” He smiled lightly.
 
“It doesn't matter anymore.”
 
“Why do you say that?” Tenchi really did not like it when she was like this, he could feel her sense of hopelessness.
 
Akane sighed and leaned her head against the wall. “Things have gotten a lot worse now, and it is probably all my fault.” She turned slightly, her head twisting a bit to look at him. “I'm probably going to be executed for treason.”
 
“What?!” Tenchi's voice vibrated off the training hall walls, echoing loudly. He cleared his throat, “please explain to me what you are talking about, I am a little confused.”
 
Her face flushed red. “Well earlier this afternoon, Ranma and I were…well…uh.” Akane could feel the hotness rushing through her cheeks. “Well I… just know that someone caught us. Someone that I do not trust.”
 
Still feeling slightly confused, Tenchi thought about it and few moments of trying to figure out what Akane was trying to say, the realization hit him. He knew exactly what happened. “Who was it that caught you?”
 
“Lord Jin's personal woman, Naomi.”
 
Tenchi's eyes widened. “Oh no, that's bad. Really bad.”
 
Akane nodded, squeezing her eyes tightly shut. “She said she won't tell the council, but I don't know. I don't trust her.” Hunching forward, Akane crossed her legs together and held her hands in her lap. “Ever since I met her, there has been something slightly off about her personality.”
 
“You shouldn't trust her, I know I don't.” Tenchi then reached up and rubbed the back of his head. “I just had a thought, if what you have been doing with Ranma is ended now and he goes back to Earth with the rest of his group, then it really is only her word against yours, she wont have any real proof for you to be held for treason.”
 
She thought about what he was saying and her eyes narrowed slightly. “But if he did that, then doesn't that mean giving up on our cause of trying to get out of `this'…” She gestured to the two of them with a delicate move of her hand “…arrangement.”
 
“We probably won't find a way out as it is.” It was his turn to lean the back of his head against the wall. “Look Akane, I'll do whatever you want me to do. If there is too much pressure on you then I will have Sora and everyone else stop looking.”
 
“I don't understand,” She glanced at her fingers still resting in her lap.
 
Tenchi sighed. “I know you care about Ranma and you want him to be safe, and I do know you don't want to marry someone you don't love, I know I sure don't want to marry you.”
 
Akane couldn't help but feel slightly insulted at what he was saying, her eyes narrowed slightly in anger.
 
“All right, that came out a little mean.” Tenchi chuckled lightly, feeling like an idiot. That even sounded wrong in his ears, it was true he didn't love Akane like a lover, but he did care about her. “But if it keeps the people we love safe, then I will let it go and finally agree completely with this arrangement.”
 
“I don't know, maybe you're right.” Her throat felt like it was constricting, giving up, could she just do that? What about Ranma? He would be safe, her mind argued, he could go home and live a good life and be happy and well still be alive. Her thoughts were not going to find their answers tonight, that was for sure. “I will need time to think about this, I'm not sure.”
 
Tenchi nodded then rising to his feet. “Whatever you decide, I will support you.”
 
Looking up at him, Akane's head was slightly tilted and her brow creased. “You really would give up what you want for this arrangement?”
 
“Yeah, I guess it's the noble streak in me.” Tenchi shrugged lightly. “I really don't like anyone to suffer, and I can see that this whole thing is making you suffer a lot.” He then pointed to the box of food still on the floor and still unopened. “Don't forget to eat that, I'm serious. Don't make yourself sick.” And he turned and walked towards the doors, that led out into the hall, closing them quietly behind him. Not even a few seconds later, Ranma walked in.
 
He didn't want to say anything to her, he felt even worse than before. It was true he had been worried about Akane too and followed that other fiancé to see if he was going to see her and sure enough he did. It really wasn't smart to leave the door open so that the room that echoed with their voices drifted out into the hall where Ranma had leaned against the wall listening to everything that went on. Yes he spied, he was no ashamed to think it. Was she really willing to give up over something like this, didn't she feel that what they had was worth fighting for?
 
He cleared his throat and Akane looked sharply at him, her eyes widened slightly as she slowly rose to her feet.
 
“Ranma, what were are doing here?” She asked a little nervously.
 
He crossed his arms. “I followed that guy, cause I had a suspicion he was coming to find you.”
 
“Did you…” She stepped closer to him, watching him carefully. “You know uh—”
 
“Hear what you two were talking about,” He nodded. “Oh yes, I heard everything. So tell me Akane.” Ranma wasn't sure if he was more upset about her wanting to give up or if she was considering marrying that guy! He was trying to keep his anger down, but it was really hard at this moment, as he continued to look at her.
 
She let out a long, loud sigh. Perhaps Tenchi was right, Ranma would definitely be safe if he went home and then they would not even risk being put to death if everything just resumed the way it was when she arrived here. “Ranma, I can't do this anymore.” Akane's tone was flat and dead sounding while she held her head slightly downcast.
 
His brows creased. “Why?” Ranma knew the reasons, but he wanted to hear them from her own lips.
 
“There is too much at risk.” Her answer was short and to the point. “It is best for everyone if this stops, and you leave.” Akane turned to go when she felt Ranma grab her hand, stilling her instantly.
 
Ranma shook his head. They had gone over this time and time again, he was not leaving, not without her. What could have happened to Akane to make her seem so quiet and meek? It wasn't right. “Akane, this isn't like you. Giving up so easily, what happened to the Akane I know?”
 
She stiffened and wrenched her hand from his, spinning around facing him. She seemed to be reaching the breaking point, every nerve was flaring hard within her and the fire of anger was burning in her eyes. “The Akane you knew Ranma, is gone!” She pointed to herself. “This is what I am now, this! Just some piece of property! Barely a step up from a whore! Don't you get it yet!? Huh!?”
 
“A…Akane—” He was interrupted.
 
Akane poked her finger hard into his chest. “I don't see why you can't grasp that? I belong here now! To conform to these ways of life, the life I had with you and everyone else back on Earth is over, it is no longer there!” She yelled, while tears of frustration and anger were streaming down her face. Akane took a very deep breath, trying to settle her temper. “I am so ashamed of myself, I hate myself.” She replied in a voice barely above a whisper. “Sometimes I wish I had never been born at all!”
 
“Stop it, Akane, stop talking like that!” He grabbed her about the shoulders, making her focus on him.
 
She resisted looking up at him, and kept her eyes firmly on the ground. “Who are you to tell me how I should stop talking?”
 
“I am not about to let you give up,” he wanted her to look at him, to give him some indication she was listening.
 
“Doesn't it matter at all to you what I want? Or is this all about you?” Akane lifted her head, her eyes met his. “There is more to this situation than just you or I, and I know I've told you that. Can't you just let go?” She asked surprisingly soft.
 
Ranma shook his head. “No, and I know that this…” He gestured to the space around him with a nod of his head, his grip on her arms increasing but not enough to hurt, just enough to show her that he was here and he would do what he could for her to see reason. “…isn't what you want.”
 
“Ranma—”
 
“Shh, just listen to me for a moment, all right?” He saw her lips thin, proving she was going to remain quiet. “I know I'm being selfish, but I can't help it. This kind of a situation is complicated, I know that. But it's a challenge like any other. Ya know how I am; I never give up on a challenge.”
 
She shook her head. “So that's all it is, you just want to win.” She couldn't believe it? That was probably the worst thing that could ever come out of his mouth, her eyes were narrowed.
 
Ranma rolled his eyes. “I said to listen to me, I'm not done.”
 
Akane groaned softly, knowing that she was probably going to regret this. “All right then. What?”
 
“You really don't get it that there will never be anyone else for me but you, Akane. I can't even see myself with anyone other than you.” Ranma's face flushed at least three shades of red, he had never been so honest and direct about things such as feelings in his whole entire life, it was very embarrassing. “And I know that's how it is with you as well, isn't it?”
 
Squinting her eyes shut, Akane nodded. “But what about…”
 
“Forget about it! Don't even think it.” Not a second later, he crushed her to him, holding her so tightly that he feared she would fade away. “Don't ya know that I would die for you?”
 
Akane couldn't help her gasp of shock, and her arms came up and curved around him, “I…I…” She couldn't even form correct sentences anymore, all her arguments seemed to fly from her mind. Would he really die for her? She pressed her cheek against his chest and she could hear the quick pounding beats of his heart, he really was nervous and embarrassed, Akane smiled lightly. “You really want to make this difficult on me, don't you Ranma?”
 
“It ain't that I wanna make it difficult,” He couldn't help the tiny smile in remembrance of many experiences past. “Things never did come easy for us. And giving up would be cowardly, and I know you are most definitely not a coward.”
 
Outside the room stood another person listening, he clinched his fist together. He knew he had lost, he always loses to Ranma. Why, why was it his fate to always be second best?! Why was it his fate to turn into a little black pig and why was it his fate for Akane not love him as Ryouga and instead as her pet P-Chan? It wasn't fair, life was never fair for him! Ryouga feeling nothing but the bitterness of anger and depression turned and headed down the hall, Akane had chosen Ranma, how could she? Ranma was a jerk and well… he seemed to care about her… but no! Ryouga could not let go, how can she still chose him!? It made no sense at all; the whole universe in his opinion was mucked up!
 
While in his most unhappy state, Ryouga nearly bumped into someone. He looked up and saw who he heard Akane call on occasion Lord Jin's woman. “Sorry, I didn't see you there.”
 
“It's quite all right, I really should pay attention to where I was going.” Naomi then winked and continued on her way. Lady Akane's absence at dinner was commented on, it was hard to keep all the information of what she knew to herself, oh yes, those idiot council members, what fools they were. Couldn't they see it on Akane's face that she was indeed hiding something, Naomi knew how to read people, she did pick up a few things by being Lord Jin's concubine. Of course at the time she didn't know the extent of what Akane was hiding until she found her and that Earth boy earlier this afternoon.
 
Yes this was good news for her, perhaps she could finally get what she desired. She despised being a second class citizen. No things were going to improve for her around her.
 
Naomi finally reached Lord Jin's door and she straightened her clothing, and ran a hand through her long hair, before lifting her hand to knock. Her master's deep voice beckoned her to enter. Waving her hand over the sensor light, the vines separated and she stepped inside and bowed. “Lord Jin,” She smiled, which was slightly devious.
 
“Naomi I am not in the mood for you right now.” Jin was at his desk going over some pieces of parchment.
 
She giggled softly. “You'll be in the mood for me very soon, I can assure you.” Naomi's tone was certainly very smug sounding.
 
He looked up at her, his eyes narrowing. “You presume too much, woman.” Jin stated rather coldly. “Now leave me, before I do something that you will regret.” He turned a sheet of parchment over.
 
“I think you'd be rather foolish to dismiss me now my Lord, when I have some information for you. Something you'll be pleased to hear.”
 
“I doubt it, what could a whore like you provide me with besides a warm body when I want it?” Jin replied while his eyes, he almost had enough of this woman. She was really stating to get on his nerves. “But very well, state your business and then leave.”
 
Naomi tutted. “Naughty, naughty, my Lord, you should be nicer to me for I have a nice big secret about your lovely daughter.”
 
That got his attention, and Jin turned around completely. “What about Akane?” his voice was sly.
 
Crossing her arms over her breasts, Naomi smirked. “Not so fast Lord Jin, what I have for you does not come free.”
 
Jin let a tiny frown press against his lips and he signaled her over, he waited until she crossed the room to stand before him before speaking. “You are a tricky girl.”
 
“Indeed.” Her smirk seemed to grow slightly more devious.
 
“What is it you want?”
 
“The only thing I desire from you my Lord.” Naomi kept direct eye contact as she moved closer to him pressing her tall, voluptuous body against his. With her mouth hovering near to his ear, she spoke softly. “I want to be queen.”
 
======
 
In the next episode, there will be much more to come, the royal ball with a night full of love and romance, a visit to a poor section of Jurai, and a legendary hidden item. So stay tuned.
 
Thank you all so much for reading. Until next time readers. Ta
Ryoko Blue ^_^