Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ A change for the Better ❯ A Day at Juban High ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
A Change for the Better part 3
by Ryouga's best friend

Ranma, Ryouga and the scouts all sit around the table at the shrine. Ryouga has been relatively silent most of the night, afraid of saying something stupid. Makoto is feeling much better and enjoys herself, Ranma has managed to keep the topic off their little bet, Minako has made several unsuccessful attempts at talking to Ryouga, Rei is still showing no inclination of liking Ranma or Ryouga and all the while Ami has been deep in thought. Usagi invited Mamoru to join them and they're having a nice talk out on the porch
"So Ranma, I've been wondering how you knew who we were?" Makoto said turning to him.
"It wasn't so hard your glamour fields don't go to the spiritual level. All I did was read your aura" he said with a shrug, she was sort of surprised since no one had ever been able to identify them in senshi form. "Okay my turn, Why are there soul draining demons here?" he said bluntly.
"Well we really don't know, we've never faced monsters who were after souls. This new enemy is a lot more dangerous than one we faced before" Ami stated a bit distracted.
"Wait a second, before. You mean this kind of thing happens often"
"Well not often, but enough in my book" Rei popped in. Ranma thought for a moment and shook his head.
"The sad thing is this place is still more normal than Nerima" Ryouga nodded in agreement. The conversation went on and discussed various things but Ranma found it impossible to avoid. Finally Usagi brought up the topic.
"So Ranma" she began, "are you heading back to Nerima anytime soon?" it was an innocent enough question since Makoto and Ranma were the only other ones who knew about the bet. He paused for a long time, he tried not to think about Akane.
"No...I'm probably gonna stay in Juban" pure joy filled Makoto's face, Usagi smiled, Ryouga and the others were surprised. "I think it would be best, besides I noticed an apartment open in the same complex as Makoto" he gained a small smile. Minako looked over to the silent warrior.
"What about you Ryouga" she asked with interest. He fidgeted a bit knowing he couldn't really avoid this question.
"Well I don't really have anywhere to go... ah, I kinda.. umm just wander around" he scratched the back of his head a little embarrassed. Minako smiled.
"So why don't you stay in Juban for a while" she didn't bother hiding her intentions. Ryouga felt very uncomfortable and stared at the floor.
"I don't know..."
"Hey come on you could live with me" Ranma offer, Ryouga's eyes bulged.
"Ranma"
"Come on, you have a girl practically throwing herself at you" Ranma whispered "I think Ami likes you too, but she's a little less verbal". Ryouga paused for a second.
"Really?" he whispered back
"Yeah, give it a try" Ranma winked
"Okay, I'll try" Minako's face lit up.
"Great, Than I'll see you two at school tomorrow" she said happily.
"Yup, we better get going though it's getting kind of late, don't want to be late for school" Ranma stated before Ryouga could protest and dragged him out the door. Makoto followed a bit confused. After a minute or so Ryouga finally spoke up.
"Why did you say that, you know full well I haven't been to school since I started chasing you. You trying to make a fool out of me!" he obviously was angry.
"Don't worry you can do that fine on your own" Ranma stated out of habit.
"What was that Saotome?!" he growled
"Calm down, geez. Trust me You'll have no trouble getting into school, especially because of all your travels. Just relax, I got it all figured out" Ranma had a confident smirk as they approached their new home.

Virgo lays in her room staring to the ceiling, she is deep in thought. The room seems in every way a bedroom you'd find in an apartment building. "Two boys and a bunch of girls in sailor suits destroyed two panthergasts with relative ease and with Leo breathing down my neck I'll never get my job done" she took a breath to calm herself and sat up. She took a long look at the 17 year old body she was in. She looks fully human with no strange marks and the armlet looks like a bracelet "Why did I get some teenager, at least most of the others look like there out of high school. I swear I don't see why I have to actually go to school. Why do we have to hide?" her thought were disrupted by a knock at the door. "what?"
"It's me Sagittarius, let me in" a female voice came from the other side. Virgo got up and walked let her in. Sagittarius looked to be a year or two younger than Virgo. She had long red hair and green eyes, she wore a dress and a white blouse. She was currently wearing a school bag. "Come on Yukiko were going to be late for school" she said stressing her human name. Virgo sighed and picked up her bag from the corner.
"Whatever you say Eri" she said sarcastically heading into the living room, Taurus and Cancer were having breakfast. Taurus was a tall rather bulky man, he had shaved his head and had dark brown eyes. Cancer was a young woman in her early 20's, she had short brown hair and dark blue eyes. She was ill tempered because she was a male demon inside a woman's body, there was a malfunction with the machine. Taurus stopped the two girls at the door.
"Don't forget, we have a meeting tonight" he said in a deep calm voice.
"Yeah, yeah we'll keep our schedules open" Virgo said rudely and headed down the stairs, Sagittarius followed. They began their long walk to school.
"What's with you lately, you've been like this since yesterday" 'Eri' stated to her friend.
"What do you think, Leo's breathing down my neck, I can't concentrate on my job and I'm sick and tired of pretending to be human" Yukiko said through clenched teeth. "I hate them, they go around and think there so great and powerful, when in truth there weak and fragile. I can't stand it, I haven't met one single human that would give me a reason for studying them" she gave a exhausted sigh.
"But I the plan you told me means you have be near them...a lot" Eri said calmly.
"I know, that's the fatal flaw to my plan" they were silent the rest of the way. They arrived at school a little early, Eri began to talk with Ami Mizuno. She was the first friend she had managed to make while she was here. She was also the only member of the research party who could make friendship. Yukiko shook her head, she just couldn't understand how Eri did it. The bell rang so everyone headed to class Yukiko took a seat in the back row leaning back on her seat. Eri sat next to Ami, the rest of the class began to file in. Makoto entered, she seemed pretty tired. Minako leaned over.
"You look totally wiped, what happened?"
"Me and Ranma were up for most of the night helping Ryouga study, but it worked. He passed the entry test" she yawned. "Ranma did too, I managed to get them in our class too". The teacher entered just moments after Usagi rushed into the room, much to her relief.
"Today we starting our project for the semester, will be working on this mainly for the next two weeks. Before I announce your groups I need to introduce two new students. Ranma Saotome and Ryouga Hibiki" The two boys entered the room. Yukiko's chair fell out from under her, fortunately the rest of the class was either admiring the new students or steaming that they their girlfriends were drooling over these guys. *Yet another cruel twist of fate.. when will it end?* she thought sadly getting up. "Why don't you two introduce yourselves to the class?" the teacher suggested. Ranma stepped forward first.
"I just moved here from the Nerima district" there were a few mummers through the class. "I'm a martial artist and I went on a huge trip around Japan and china when I was younger" some of the girls sighed, a few boys grumbled. Ryouga stepped forward, "Well there's not much to say really, I lived in Nerima awhile. But I mainly just travel around...I've lived all over the world., umm. I'm also a martial artist and.. ah" he felt the eyes of all the girls on him and he choked up. "That's about it" he went to his seat in front of Eri, Ranma sat behind Makoto.
"Now I expect you to be nice to our new students, now I've split you into groups of four. Group one Usagi Tsukino, Nina Kiyomori, Melvin Iwabashi and Minako Aino" Minako cursed under her breath. "group two Ami mizuno, Eri Asata, Ryouga Hibiki and Kotaro Takezaki" Ryouga swallowed slightly, Ranma had said that Ami might like him. Eri took a look toward Ami, sensing multiply and conflicting emotions about her.
"What do you think of that new student, Ryouga. He's going to be working with us" she whispered while the teacher continued.
"I'm not really sure yet" Ami gave a half-lie and left it at that.
"And finally Makoto Kino, Ranma Saotome, Seto Maeki and Yukiko Asata" the teacher finished, Yukiko proceeded to slam her head against her desk softly.
"It never ends" she said sadly, *I'm teamed up with my enemy...wait a second. This is where I can learn what his weak spot is. I will end you Ranma Saotome" she thought coldly. As she put up her human act.

Eri managed to take Kotaro aside to work on a separate part of the project so Ryouga and Ami were alone. Ryouga tried to concentrate on his work but couldn't help but notice Ami's occasional gaze coming on him. He determined it to be a mixture of Nabiki's calculating gaze and Kasumi's kind empathic gaze...a warm calculating gaze as it would be. Finally she started a conversation.
"So Ryouga, I've been meaning to ask you something" she began, "how are you and Ranma able to generate so much power" Ryouga sunk slightly, but answered none the less.
"We channel our emotions" he said simply, Ami's eyes boggled.
"You channeled your emotions into energy and fire them as weapons"
"well actually just one emotion, sometimes two" he continued. The look on Ami's face meant an explanation was needed. "Okay, well for example Ranma uses confidence as his main weapon since that is usually his most prominent emotion. Just like mine is depression" he ended it there. Ami tried to go back to work but was shocked by his statement, "he stays in an almost constant cycle of depression, that's so sad" she said silently.

Yukiko joined the group in fake unwillingness, they began the project. Makoto and Ranma chatted while they worked, "So what made you stay, It couldn't have been because of yesterday" Makoto whispered to Ranma. Ranma smiled, Yukiko listened in on their conversation.
"Why do you mind, I thought you'd be sick of me by now?" he whispered with a smirk.
"It'll take a lot more than that to get rid of me Ranma Saotome" they shared a private gaze and both looked away. Yukiko scratched her head, *These humans make no sense, what was that all about?* she thought frustrated. The boy across for her coughed slightly.
"What?" she said harshly, the boy flinched and looked away. Yukiko anger was only increased by this little event. Her pencil cracked in her hand, Seto swallowed slightly.
"Maybe this was the wrong time" he said in a low whisper as he got back to work. Ranma and Makoto looked toward Yukiko with general concern.
"Yukiko are you ok?" Makoto asked, Yukiko just glared at Makoto. Ranma gave an annoyed look.
"What's wrong with you?" he butted in Yukiko couldn't take it anymore.
"I can't stand people like you! Living your stupid little lives, thinking your better than everyone" she growled, at this point everyone is looking at her, Eri is silently hoping Virgo doesn't revel her true self. "you, you argh!" she slapped Ranma, knocking himself off balance. Then stomped out of the class, there was a shocked silence.
"It's always the silent ones" Minako stated shaking her head. Eri approached the teacher.
"May I be excused to see what's wrong with my sister" She asked politely. The teacher nodded dumbly and Eri went out to find Yukiko. It didn't take long she was right around the corner, "What happened, I was afraid you'd snap and zap everyone. But you just slapped him, I've never seen you do that" She looked into Yukiko's eyes. They had a small trace of fear.
"I- I wanted to zap them and be done with it, but I lost control. I" she was really rattled. "I acted like a human...and I wasn't trying to" She slumped against the wall. "I had real emotions" Eri knelt down to her friend.
"There's nothing wrong with that, we have human bodies. Something like that is to be expected" Yukiko shook her head.
"But these bodies are fake, soulless shells made for us to inhabit. There's just no way" tears came to her eyes and she freaked out. "It's happening again, please sag- Eri. Please stop it" she begged, Eri held her and calmed her.

Back in class, Ranma felt his cheek and winced. *She's pretty strong* he thought as he turned to Makoto "What's with her?".
"I don't know Yukiko and Eri joined our class a few weeks ago. Eri is a great person, but her sister was always a little off. She sat in the back very quiet, but that's never happened, maybe your ever present mighty luck with women" she said trying to humor up the moment. Ryouga came over followed by Ami, Minako and Usagi.
"As slick as ever I see Ranma" he said enjoying the few times he could get under Ranma's skin. Ranma gave a grimace.
"Ha ha ha, yuck it up Ryouga. But there's something odd about that girl, she's really strong. Though she's obviously not a martial artist, I mean just by her aura" he said seriously. Ryouga said nothing he had noticed there was something odd about her aura. Ami looked at her mini computer.
"Your right about her according to her readings there's something odd, but when she got angry the reading turned normal" she said confused. They were a collective silence. Until Eri entered the room, a teary eyed Yukiko in the doorway. Eri bowed.
"Yukiko apologizes to the class and wishes to speak to Ranma for a personal apology" she stated calmly. The teacher nodded and Ranma left the room, outside Yukiko had calmed down.
"Look Saotome I'm really sorry about what happened I'm just under a lot of stress. I'll try to keep my cool next time" she said staring at the floor, not wanting to lose it still stuck in this human-like stupor. Ranma nodded, Yukiko walked back into class.

The rest of the classes went smoothly, Ranma heading to a place away from the main crowd enjoying, for the most part, the school day. When suddenly The sprinklers on the field he was crossing went on, a soaked female Ranma grumbled sitting under a tree. Not far there was a gasp in the shadows, she rubbed her eyes to make sure she was really seeing this. "Did...did Saotome just change into a girl?" Yukiko stated to herself.

Ryouga Wandered through a grassy area "Where is that Ranma, he just went off and left me. I can't miss school anymore" he said with a frustrated sigh, he continued walking til he reached a sidewalk. He sat down on the curve, "I hate being lost, it's such a -" his statement was cut off by a car splashing him. P-chan struggled out of his clothes and gave an angry "Bwee!".
"What are you doing on the side of the road?" a girls voice asked surprised, she picked him up. P-chan freaked out and squealed wildly, but he could get away. "Calm down, I'm not going to hurt you" the girl said trying to calm the frantic animal. P-chan recognized the voice and looked up, *AMI! Please gods not again* he thought panicked.


To Be Continued