Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Chi Vampire ❯ Midnight Encounters ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimers:
- Ranma belongs to Rumiko Takahashi
- This is a variation of the original concept by Ranma-mite (Anime Addventure 41379).
- This story is made for fun and is meant for the enjoyment of the fans.
- I have to thank Dogbertcarroll & Harukue for preread this chapter. Thank you very much.
- Please R&R.
--------------------------------- Chapter 6: Midnight Encounters
Night had finally fallen on Nerima and whilst the majority of the habitants slept calmly in their houses, Happosai crossed their roofs on his self-imposed mission to free all the enslaved feminine undergarments he could find.
Less than an hour had passed, since he had begun his nightly run, when he landed on the edge of a roof and found Cologne waiting for him on the other end of it. Before Happosai could say a word, Cologne wrote two Chinese characters in the air with her cane: Life Void.
On seeing her expression Happosai sighed heavily, his features taking on a more serious cast. He left his sack full of emancipated panties near the edge of the roof and met Cologne on the ridge caps. There he sat and pulled out his pipe, slowly almost ritualistically preparing it, while he marshalled his thoughts. Cologne approached him calmly and sat by his side.
 
Happosai lit his pipe and inhaled deeply for a moment, before blowing the smoke into the night air and watching it swirl, asked “Who?”
“Akane”
Happosai arched an eyebrow when he heard the answer.
"Interesting." He commented mildly, the smoke from his pipe forming lazy streamers in the air.
"It was only bad luck."
"Did you kill it?" Happosai asked, without altering his tone in the slightest.
"She is alive." Cologne responded with tranquillity.
Happosai puffed again and smiled. “How is it possible that a beast without a mind could win against the best warrior of the amazons?” He asked, as if he was merely making conversation and not pointing out a major stumbling block in the Amazon's plans.
"The personality of Akane isn't completely destroyed..." After a brief pause Cologne added "yet."
"You don't think that she'll manage to prevail?"
Cologne hadn't any doubts in the matter and answered promptly "No."
Happosai nodded, while Cologne continued "The best thing will be to wait for its next move before we..."
"... make our decision." Happosai finished her sentence. "I am glad to see that you still consider all the possibilities."
Cologne twisted her mouth into a wry smile. "You admire her" she said in accusing tone.
Happosai shrugged his shoulders "Why not? After all, we didn't dare take the last step ourselves, for fear of losing control."
"This is different" Cologne argued "Everything has been the fault of a chain of unlikely events."
"That is an excellent definition of destiny."
Happosai emptied his pipe and stored it again. When he stood up and went to grab his sack he paused “The other day I was talking with my grandson.” Happosai commented, whilst looking at his sack. “He wasn't happy with the behaviour of his daughter during the wedding.”
Cologne watched curiously, hiding any feelings behind a mask of calm contemplation.
Happosai turned his gaze to Cologne and added "Neither was I."
After he departed via the roofs of Nerima, Cologne watched him leave and shouted angrily “Since when did you worry about your family?”
Happosai didn't answer and after a few moments he disappeared between the roofs.
“Besides, you never understood a woman's heart” Cologne added in a whisper.

Ranma hadn't been able to fall asleep. He'd been tossing and turning all night long on his futon, trying to relax and get some sleep, but sleep had eluded him.
Finally he rose and went to the kitchen to get something to eat.
As late as it was, the light was still on.
On entering he found Kasumi in her nightgown, drinking a cup of tea at the table, with a still steaming teapot sitting in front of her.
"Well, hello there." Ranma greeted her.
"Hello, Ranma. Couldn't sleep?"
"No"
Ranma took a seat across from Kasumi.
"Do you want a cup of tea?" Kasumi offered.
Ranma nodded. Kasumi rose and grabbed a teacup from one of the kitchen cabinets, setting it in front of Ranma and pouring him a cup of tea before sitting down again.
Ranma ignored the tea and stared at the table.
After a couple of minutes of silence Kasumi asked him "What are you thinking about?"
Ranma sighed. "I thought that after China everything would be easier, because after I almost lost her I realized that she really did matter to me." After a brief pause he added. "But I still don't know if what I feel for her is love."
Kasumi smiled while listening to Ranma. Taking his hands between her own and looking into his eyes she asked him "Do you hate her?"
"Why would I hate her? Because, according to Cologne, she almost killed me? We don't know that."
Ranma pulled his hands from Kasumi's and leaned back, lacing his hands behind his head and staring at the ceiling.
"I really don't remember anything. I felt very tired, my eyes closed and when I awoke… everything had happened already."
Kasumi finished her cup while she listened to Ranma speak.
"That reminds me, I still haven't thanked you." Kasumi said, setting her cup on the table.
"Why?" Ranma asked, more surprised than curious.
"Because you didn't want to kill my sister." Kasumi's voice was a mere whisper when she finished the sentence.
Ranma snorted indignantly.
"Akane may be worse than Miss Hinako, but that still isn't a reason to kill her. I still can't believe that Cologne was trying to take advantage of the situation like that to eliminate an obstacle." Ranma almost growled the last few words. The memory of Cologne's suggestion had really upset him.
Kasumi didn't answer immediately, waiting until she saw that Ranma had calmed himself once more.
"I don't believe Cologne made that suggestion to take advantage of the situation, but because of fear."
"Fear?" Ranma asked incredulous "and since when has Cologne had something to fear?"
"Never" and in a fading whisper too low to be heard, Kasumi added "That's what worries me."
Ranma didn't say anything. He simply grabbed his cup and drank his tea, while Kasumi watched him in silence.
Finishing his tea, Ranma set it on the table and rose from the floor.
"Thanks, Kasumi. I'm going to go try and get some sleep."
Kasumi didn't answer. She was looking the table while she played with her cup.
Ranma hesitated, but walked to the door. Just when he was going leave, Kasumi called him back "Ranma!"
He twisted his head around "Yes?"
Kasumi opened and closed her mouth without saying a word. She stared at the wall and began to play with her ponytail nervously.
This situation lasted for a couple of minutes until Ranma yawned.
Kasumi looked at him and smiled. "You are tired. Forgive me; I won't keep you up any longer."
"Ok." Ranma answered half asleep. "Do you need to ask me something?"
Kasumi smiled softly "It is nothing. Good night, Ranma."
"Good night, Kasumi."
When Ranma left the room Kasumi's smile faded once more.
In the end she wasn't able to ask Ranma if, since the attack by Akane, he had felt a strange sensation in his chest, as if an invisible bond allowed him to feel Akane.
If he could feel her fear, the solitude that surrounded her and her fight not to lose control, as Kasumi could.
Kasumi folded her hands in her lap and stared at the table. "Where are you Akane?"