Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ I'm the Mother and the Father? ❯ "Does She Make You Happy" ( Chapter 14 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

I'm the Father and the Mother?
A Ranma Fanfic by Michael A. Ivins
 
Ranma and friends are owned by Rumiko Takahashi along with her publishers and Viz Video. I make no money off this so please don't sue me.
 
Recap of Chapter 13
Akane and Kasumi snuck off to a love hotel for some “quality time” together. Ranma made friends with some of the girls who voted against her in gym class. Ranma and Nabiki (finally) figured out something was going between Akane and Kasumi. Mousse taught Ranma the Hidden Weapons technique.
 
Chapter 14
“Does She Make You Happy?”
 
After dinner both Nabiki and Ranma helped clean up. Nabiki asked, “Kasumi, when we're finished cleaning up could you and Akane come out to the dojo? We need to talk about something.”
 
Something in Nabiki's tone caught Kasumi's attention. She felt a little apprehensive about the possible topic of conversation.
 
While they were doing the dishes Ranma kept making each dish disappear and reappear until Nabiki touched her arm. “That's starting to get annoying. Could you save it for when you're alone?”
 
She gave a nervous laugh. “Sorry, I was having fun with it.”
 
Eventually they were finished with the dishes and all the younger members of the household retired to the dojo. Ranma stayed by the door for a while to make sure no one had followed. She turned back and gave Nabiki a nod.
 
Nabiki started off. “I think there have been some misunderstandings between us in the last couple days and I'd like to get them cleared up. Part of the misunderstandings are on your side and some are with Ranma and me.
 
She paused as if figuring out how to phrase it. “Night before last Ranma and I were in my bed. I guess you probably know we were having sex with both of us as girls. After we finished we heard sounds of someone else having sex in Kasumi's room. We heard Kasumi's voice cry out from an orgasm. We both fell asleep shortly after that.”
 
Both Akane and Kasumi nodded in acknowledgement. Nabiki sighed. “This is where the first misunderstanding happened. Because Kasumi had gone out on a date with Dr. Tofu, we just assumed he had come inside and was sharing Kasumi's bed at the time we were listening.”
 
“Tofu,” Kasumi's tone was contemptuous. “I'm beginning to wonder if he even knows what to do with a woman. I used to think it was cute the way he acted when I came around. I kept expecting he would get over it and ask me on a date and take me to his bed. I was just so frustrated when he did no more than kiss my cheek. When he left. I sat down in the living room and started crying.”
 
Ranma ventured, “Akane comforted you?”
 
“Yes.” Kasumi stopped. “But if you thought it was Tofu, then you didn't know…”
 
Nabiki nodded. “When I gave you the thumbs up I was congratulating you on finally getting together with Dr. Tofu.”
 
Ranma said, “I was doing the same thing when I smiled and nodded.”
 
Nabiki said, “We didn't know you were doing anything with Akane.”
 
Ranma added, “We weren't encouraging you to do anything with each other.”
 
Akane asked, “Then you don't approve?”
 
The middle sister asked, “Would it make any difference if we didn't?”
 
“That was part of why we went ahead with last night. We thought you approved. We were following your example.”
 
Nabiki sighed. “I'm not going to go into that. Kasumi, what you need to understand is that you are legally an adult while Akane is a minor. Regardless of whether or not Ranma or I approve, what you are doing could be classified as sexual abuse of a child and incest. Do you have any idea how serious it would be if you got caught?”
 
Eldest and youngest sister sat stunned. Both girls' mouths were open but Kasumi had her hand over her mouth. After a time Kasumi let out the words, “Child… abuse…”
 
“That's how the law would see it. I'm not going to tell you to stop. Since you're the older sister, I don't think I have the right to tell you to what to do. I do advise you to think very carefully before to take your affair any farther. No one who is now outside this room can ever know and I sort of wish I didn't know about it either.”
 
Akane protested, “But I love Kasumi.”
 
Ranma looked sad. “You loved me and look how that turned out.”
 
“But this is different.”
 
Nabiki took a deep breath. “Kasumi, you said you were following the example of Ranma and me. Let me point out some differences. Ranma and I are not siblings. We could get in trouble because we're both minors, but not in as much trouble as Kasumi could. We're engaged to be married. Basically what we are doing isn't proper but it's nothing illegal. If daddy found out he might find some way to force us to marry before Ranma's curse unlocks but probably nothing more than that.”
 
Ranma had been watching Nabiki and could see the signs of strain. The Ice Queen façade was not holding and tears were gathering in her eyes. She said, “I've said about all I can on this. You know the dangers now and if you continue it's at your own risk. I just… don't want to lose either of my sisters.”
 
Ranma put her arm around her fiancé. Suddenly Nabiki turned and buried her head on Ranma's shoulder, sobbing. Ranma fixed the two other Tendo sisters with a glare. “You made my Nabs cry. I hope you're proud of yourselves.”
 
Upon hearing this Nabiki wailed, “It's not fair!”
 
“What's not fair, Nabs?”
 
Nabiki released her fiancé and whirled to face Kasumi, the anger in her expression not lessening the flow of her tears. “You've always been the substitute mom for Akane and me. You've always been the one to tell us when we were doing wrong. Even when you were in high school you were the adult for us kids.
 
She swiped a palm over her face to try to wipe some of the tears away. “Then you go and pull this stunt! You've been acting like a horny schoolgirl with more hormones than brains. You're forcing me to be the adult and I hate it! I'm probably screwing this up like I've been doing with so many other things lately.”
 
With that Nabiki fled from the room. Ranma turned to follow when Akane asked, “What did she mean about things she's been screwing up?”
 
With a troubled expression Ranma replied, “She feels bad for throwing the water when she did made to me pregnant. Now she feels responsible for what you two are doing.
 
Ranma paused, “Nabiki got too upset to ask. Where did you go for you little make-out session?”
 
Akane answered, “A love hotel.”
 
“Did you use your real names?”
 
Akane was offended. “Of course not! We're not stupid.”
 
Ranma raised one eyebrow. “I could give you an argument on that. Anyway, did the clerk at the hotel see you two together?”
 
Kasumi answered, “No. I rented the room and went up. Akane came ten minutes later. Why are you asking these questions?”
 
“It's that whole `sex with a minor' issue. Nabs is hoping the hotel clerk won't remember a woman in her early 20's being there with an underage girl. If he does, he could be a witness against you in court.”
 
Akane asked, “Do you really think that could happen?”
 
“I don't know, maybe. Nabs knows a lot more about the law than I do. I'd better go check on her.” She turned and exited the dojo.
 
Akane felt stricken. “You could go to jail.”
 
Kasumi looked thoughtful. “We've been careless. Nabiki's smart, she'll find a way to prevent that.”
 
Akane seemed reluctant as she said, “I guess we should stop.”
 
Kasumi looked a little sad. “I don't know if I could go back to the way things were before. Do you… want to stop?”
 
“Not really. But how can we keep going? Considering what Ranma said about the love hotel, it would be stupid going back or to another one.”
 
“Maybe we could do like they've been doing. We could get together for girl-on-girl in my room and do the man/woman sex in here.”
 
“Nabiki was right about the risk. Even if the law never gets involved, if daddy ever found out, he'd probably disown us.”
 
Kasumi wasn't going to be this easily dissuaded. “In my reading I've seen where some people feel that risk of discovery adds spice to sexual encounters. Some people will do it in elevators, on airplanes, in parks and other public places just for the thrill that the risk of discovery gives them. I'm not suggesting we do that, but with a few precautions, we should be OK.”
 
Kasumi sighed, “Our family is such a mess.”
 
“What do you mean?”
 
“When mother passed away father didn't handle it very well. Instead of stepping forward to take over mother's duties, he withdrew even from his own duties. I was the oldest so I tried to take over.”
 
Akane tried to reassure her sister, “You did a wonderful job.”
 
“No. I did the best I could, but it wasn't enough. I was hopeless when it came to handling the family finances and Nibiki took that over. Even though she was handling an adult responsibility, I understand what she means by `being the adult.'”
 
“Even if Nabiki took over the job of breadwinner I took the job of mother and moral guide for you girls. I tried to follow mother's example, but she was no longer there to talk to. I had no moral guide of my own. Nabiki kept a roof over our heads, but look at what she did to accomplish that. She sold pictures of you and Ranma's girl form, she sold information, she gambled and she blackmailed people. Some kind of moral guide I was for her.” Her tone was bitter.
 
Kasumi placed her hand on Akane's shoulder, “I failed just as much with you. You were so angry after mother's death. Father was did more harm than good there. You were `daddy's baby girl' and he let you get away with anything.”
 
Kasumi looked close to tears. “I wasn't a mother, I wasn't a housewife, I was a child playing at those roles. The kind, sweet, always calm woman you believe me to be is a mask. Well, I'm tired of playing the mother. Nabiki says I'm acting like a schoolgirl. I never had a chance to be a normal teenager. I want to really experience life.”
 
The eldest Tendo sister was crying in earnest now. “Now that I've told you this, I'll understand if you don't want me anymore.”
 
“I don't believe your sweetness is all an act. At least some of that is the real you. Now that I've seen this side of you I want to protect you, comfort you, be there for you.”
 
Kasumi hugged Akane. She said, “Maybe everyone in this house needs professional help. I'm pretty sure we don't have the money for that, though, so I guess we'll have to cope as well as we can.”
 
Inside the house in Nabiki's room, Ranma was cradling her fiancé in her arms. She had just been saying soothing words with no particular meaning. It was more her voice and soothing tone that did the work.
 
After a time Nabiki calmed down and sat up. Ranma counseled her, “Kasumi is a grown woman. In spite of the fact that she's acting like a kid, she's old enough to make her own choices. Akane's old enough to make up her own mind too. Maybe we gave them a bad example but we didn't force them together. If what you said to them doesn't get them stop, then nothing will.”
 
“Then I didn't screw it up?”
 
Ranma kissed her. “You did fine. Come on, you're emotionally wrung out. Let's get to bed. As tired as you are, we can just sleep. I can even go back to my room if you want.”
 
Nabiki looked into her fiancé's face and asked, “When did you get so sensitive?”
 
Ranma laughed, “I guess you bring out the best in me.”
 
“Just sleeping sounds good, but I'll be glad of company. Please hold me.”
 
“Anytime.” Ranma turned out the light then snuggled up with her fiancé.
 
Not long after that Kasumi and Akane came in from the dojo and went their separate bedrooms. Ranma and Nabiki were asleep by that time and didn't hear them.
 
The atmosphere between the two duos of girls was strained at breakfast. The parents could tell there was something going on but none of the girls was talking about it.
 
Ranma finally decided to try and lighten the atmosphere. Not addressing anyone in particular she said, “I made some new friends yesterday.”
 
Nodoka spoke up, “That's nice dear. Who are they?”
 
“Well, you know the problem with gym class. The girls voted to let me in the class but the vote was really close. On Monday there was this one girl who looked at me like she hated me.”
 
“I'm not sure how it got out, but people found out I'm pregnant. The girl I mentioned came up to me at the start of gym class and wanted to talk to me. She was acting more curious than mad. So I talked to them in class and after school. I finally convinced them I'm not a bad person. They want to be friends and Megumi, this big girl who had been so mad at me before, invited me to come to her house sometime next week.”
 
“How did they find out you are pregnant?”
 
“I don't know. Word of it seems to be spreading like a rumor all over the school. Yesterday everybody was giving me weird looks. Those three girls were the only ones with enough guts to actually talk to me about it.”
 
“You said she was curious?”
 
“Yeah. She had this idea that I was a pervert boy that was using magic to turn into a fake girl to peep on the real girls in the locker room. Then she heard that I'm pregnant and that confused her. She didn't think a fake girl could get pregnant. She wanted to ask me about it.”
 
Nodoka looked troubled. “Ranma do you think you're a real girl?”
 
Ranma sighed deeply. “I used to think that was so simple. I don't think I can give a yes or no answer to that anymore.”
 
She patted the back of her arm with her other hand. “This is a real girl's body. It has to be real or I couldn't get pregnant. But up here,” she tapped her forehead with a finger, “I'm still a guy. So what does that make me?”
 
Akane chimed in, “You're a tomboy, a girl who thinks like a boy. And to think that's what you always called me. It made me so mad.”
 
“That's what I told the girls yesterday. I just hope that when my curse unlocks I can go back to being a guy who thinks like a guy.”
 
Nodoka asked, “Is there any doubt in your mind?”
 
“If my curse unlocked today, I'd have no doubt. I'm just not sure how I'm going to feel about it in 10 months. I'll face that when I come to it. If I spend too much time worrying over my manhood I'll make myself crazy. For now I'll just take things as they come and try not to worry too much if I'm a boy or a girl.”
 
Nodoka looked with approval at her… child. “That seems like a remarkably mature attitude for one your age.”
 
“I'm sort of stuck with it for now”
 
“Are you going to accept that girl's invitation?”

“You wouldn't mind, would you?”
 
“I think it's nice you're making friends. Just let me know what day you'll be going and call if you'll be late getting back.”
 
“OK mom.”
 
On the walk to school, Akane asked, “Are you still mad about Saturday night?”
 
“Nah, I'm over that.”
 
“Are you mad about what Kasumi and I were doing.”
 
Ranma couldn't resist getting a little dig in, “Since I wasn't there watching I really don't know exactly what you were doing. I think I'm more worried than mad.”
 
“Worried… about me?”
 
“About both of you. I'm not sure you understand how much trouble you could get into.”
 
Akane frowned.
 
After continuing in silence Ranma spoke up again. “I can't help thinking about something people have been saying about Nabs and me. So let me ask you this about Kasumi… Does she make you happy?”
 
“What?”
 
“Does she make you happy? I don't just mean does she satisfy your lust. If that's all you're getting out of it then it's just physical and you should break if off. But if she makes you happy in your heart and soul I think you should go after her and keep doing what you've been doing regardless of what Nabiki, or I or anyone else thinks.”
 
“Wow, Ranma. Do you really mean that?”
 
“Yeah. You just want to be sure what you're feeling. If you make a mistake, it could be really bad, a lot worse than with someone else. If you're wrong with someone else you could get a broken heart. If you're wrong with Kasumi she could end up in jail.”
 
Akane sobered at this reminder.
 
“Even if she is your soul mate and yours is the greatest love in the history of the world, you are still going to have to be careful because of all the stuff we talked about. Think very carefully about what you're doing.”
 
Akane looked stunned to be hearing something like coming from Ranma. “Like you said last week, who are you and what did you do with the real Ranma?”
 
Ranma blushed and scratched the back of her neck. “I'm always better at talking about feelings when I'm a girl. Plus, I've been thinking about this a lot especially about how Nabiki makes me feel.”
 
“Does she make you feel happy?”
 
Ranma smiled radiantly, “Yes, she does. I just hope she feels the same way.”
 
They had again reached the ladle lady and Ranma expertly dodged the water. After they were past Ranma commented, “I think she is an evil old woman who splashes school kids for fun.”
 
“Ranma, you're being silly. If that was true, she'd be splashing me too.”
 
“I've never figured that one out. Maybe she's got a thing for red hair, you know, likes to see it wet?”
 
When they got to the schoolyard, Kuno stepped out from behind his usual tree. “SAOTOME RANMA! Tell me it isn't true! Tell me that the vile slander is false!”
 
Ranma muttered to Akane, “I guess he's heard about my `condition.'”
 
She put on a fake smile and said, “Hello, Kuno. What slander are you talking about?”
 
“People are saying that you are with child. It can't be true. Tell me it is not.”
 
“With child?” Makes it sound like Ranko and I are in a meeting. Ranma sighed and tried to adopt a neutral expression. “I can't tell you that. I really am pregnant.”
 
“Nooooooo,” screamed the kendoist, falling to his knees with his arms and clenched fists raised over his head. Ranma thought she had never seen anyone do that outside of a movie or TV show.
 
Kuno jumped to his feet and rushed forward. He stood almost nose-to-nose with the red haired girl, his hands hovering over her shoulders. Ranma thought that he must still remember the slap from the last time he'd touched her.
 
For a wonder, Kuno's not shouting. His voice was low and dangerous. “Who has done this? Who has defiled my love, my goddess?”
 
Ranma put on an expression of infinite sadness and said, “I don't want to talk about it. It's a bad situation.”
 
“You don't wish to speak of it? Then it must be even worse than I thought. Your evil brother must have forced himself upon you, bringing you such shame that you don't even wish to speak of it aloud. Thus is his departure explained. He has fled from the righteous wrath of the Blue Thunder. He is right to fear it.” A crash of thunder could be heard. Ranma thought, “I always wondered how he managed that effect.”
 
Kuno dropped down to one knee and somewhat diffidently took Ranma's hand that was not holding a book bag. “Ranma, my goddess, do not fear. I shall track down your evil sibling and punish him for the crime he has committed against your virtue. There is no place on earth where he can hide from just vengeance.”
 
With that Kuno jumped back to his feet. He drew his bokken and, brandishing it over his head, charged off out of the school gates. As the kendoist passed from view Ranma wondered out loud, “Does he even have any idea of where to start looking for my `evil sibling?'”
 
Akane answered, “Are you asking me? If I was to guess, I doubt if he has any clue.”
 
Ranma shook herself. “I really was just wondering. If Nabs was here I'd ask what the odds are that he wears himself out running then comes back to ask where to look.”
 
Akane said thoughtfully, “Since he said that about no place on earth your `sibling' could hide, maybe he intends to search literally everywhere.”
 
“Maybe. I doubt we'll see any more of him for at least the rest of the day. It's a relief, really. He's really been making a pest of himself in the mornings.”
 
“Hmph, he's always a pest.”
 
“True.”
 
With that the two girls entered the school building.
 
The reticence that everybody had shown the previous day seemed to have vanished following the scene with Kuno in the schoolyard. The question on most people's lips, “Who's the father?” After first period class, Ranma borrowed a marker and made up a sign that said, “I don't want to talk about it.” Her teachers seemed sympathetic to her plight and after the start of class ordered, “Leave Ranma alone.”
 
The sign deterred most, but not all of the gossip seekers. To these Ranma would say, “Yes, it's true, I'm pregnant.” Any requests for information beyond that were met with a repetition of the words on the sign. This continued through lunch as well.
 
During gym class her new friend Megumi defended Ranma and kept the other students at bay. Ranma gave her a grateful smile. They arranged for Ranma to visit Megumi's house the Tuesday of the following week. Ranma would go home and change clothes first then go. The idea was to be sure and keep her school uniform as clean as possible.
 
By the end of school day, classmates were getting tired of Ranma's non-response. The finally went to find other things more interesting than listening to a repetition of “I don't want to talk about it.”
 
When they got home Nabiki went straight to her room. She said she needed to get on her computer to check the markets and maybe change their investments around to get the maximum yield. Ranma changed out of her school uniform and went back downstairs. Somewhat at loose ends, she offered to help Kasumi in the kitchen. She was set to work chopping vegetables. That she finished quickly, moving with a speed to rival that of an electric food processor.
 
 
Author's Note: If things go according to plan, updates should be coming more quickly.
 
Coming up - Dr. Hinagami visits the Tendo home. In conversation with her the idea of Ranma and Nabiki adopting Ranko comes up. To help make that possible plans change and the couple get married right away.