Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Ranma's Brother ❯ School's no Place for Horse Play ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do NOT own Ranma or any of the characters created by the almighty Takahashi-sama. Red, Pink, and Shinta are mine. They were not paying their rent in my head, so I put them here.
 
A/N: In response to some reviews: Yes this will be a Ranma/Akane fic. Anyone who hates that better stop reading now, and if you don't, then don't flame me. All flames will be used to light you house on fire when I find out where you live. *VERY evil laugh* *Cough Cough* or not………
 
One more note: Girl-Ranma will be referred to as Ranma-chan and girl Shinta as Shinta-chan. For now at least.
 
Now on with the story!!
 
Ranma's Brother--Chapter 2
School is not the Place for Horse Play
 
 
Red had a smile on that threaten to split his head in half. “You see!!? Do you see yet?!!!?” He asked his sister. Red looked like he would jump with glee any second.
 
Pink sweat dropped. “What are you so excited about?”
 
“Don't you see?!?! Because Ranma has someone to confide in, he will be more open about his feelings. Also, he will be less of a jerk because of that.”
 
“Are you quite finished?” she asked irritably.
 
“Yes, I believe so.”
 
“Then shut up!!!! I want to see what happens next.”
 
---------------------
 
The sun shone down on the streets of Nerima. No one was out to enjoy it, being shortly after dawn. Well, almost no one.
 
Akane turned the corner of the last length of her morning jog. She threw a couple of quick punches followed by a kick. She loved her morning jog. No one was up meaning no one could bother her, just the way she liked it, just her and the road. It made her feel so alive. Like she could do anything.
 
As she entered the gate to her house, she could smell breakfast being made in the kitchen. Her older sister always made the best breakfast. Sometimes she wondered why her sister didn't work as a chef in a restaurant. Her daydreaming was interrupted by a loud crash from the backyard.
 
“What is it with those guys anyway?” she wondered.
 
--------------
 
Nabiki yawned as she walked into the dining area still in her pajamas. If anyone wanted to blackmail Nabiki, a picture of her first thing in the morning would be the perfect thing. She looked nothing like the cool headed, sharp-witted mercenary of Furinken. How she was able to put on such a front is beyond anyone's comprehension. Even being slow in the morning, Nabiki was awake enough to know something was off.
 
Ranma and Genma were sparring over the koi pond. Her father was reading the newspaper, and Akane just came in from her jog, all right so far so good. Kasumi sitting pleasantly at the table waiting for Kasumi to bring in.... Wait a sec.
 
“Uh, Sis?” Nabiki asked her older sister.
 
“Yes? What is it Nabiki?” Kasumi replied pleasantly.
 
“If you are here, then who is cooking breakfast?”
 
“Oh. Well Shinta was up before me and asked if he could make breakfast.”
 
“And you let him?” Akane asked surprised.
 
“Actually, he had already started and just wanted permission,” said Kasumi sweetly.
 
Before Nabiki could respond a call came from the kitchen. “Hey, could someone tell my brother and pet panda that breakfast is ready?”
 
Kasumi nodded at kitchen entrance then turned towards the backyard. “Ranma-kun... Saotome-san.... Breakfast is ready.”
 
“Alright Ranma, let's stop for Breakfast,” said Genma as he and his son clashed on last time over the pond. Genma gained the upper hand for a second, and sent Ranma straight into the water. “You're getting sloppy, boy.” A water balloon quickly cut off Genma's gloat.
 
“Shut up already,” said an irritated Shinta. “Ranma, after breakfast, take a bath.”
 
“Why?” she asked a little grumpy.
 
“You like being a girl?” Shinta asked with false surprise.
 
Ranma-chan said nothing as she sat down and started eating.
 
-----------------
 
“What do you mean we have to go to school?!!?” the Saotome brothers yelled at their father. Ranma was cracking his knuckles while Shinta was sharpening his sword.
 
“W-well we a-are g-going to be h-here a while,” replied a very nervous Genma.
 
“That's all find and dandy,” said Shinta getting angrier. “But why did you put us in the same grade!?!?!”
 
“You see, you haven't been in school for a while, so think of it as a refresher course,” Genma lamely rationalized.
 
Shinta was wondering how much he could get for a panda skin rug on the black market. Then decided that he would have to deal with the body as well, so he would wait till they were out of food.
 
“Fine, we'll go. Pull another stunt like this again Oyaji, and I'll give Kasumi some nice panda recipes.” Genma nodded in agreement. “Now go eat the bamboo I made for you.”
 
“Hey, I just heard,” cried Nabiki. “You'll be going to same school as Akane and me. I'll see you two there,” she said as she ran out the door.
 
“Hang on Nabiki, I'll go with you,” Akane cried.
 
“What do you mean, Akane? Shouldn't you show your fiancé and future brother-in-law the way to the school?” Nabiki mocked.
 
Akane turned the corner, ran into Ranma, and fell backwards. Her fall was cut short as he grabbed her arm and pulled her close. For a brief moment Akane didn't care who was holding her. The small embrace was warm and very inviting. Something in the back of her mind told her that she would always be safe whenever the arms held her. Then she realized that it was Ranma who was holding her.
 
“Let me go you pervert!!” She yelled.
 
“Huh?” Ranma didn't realize he was giving her a slight hug. All he knew at that moment was it felt nice and right. However, Shinta always told him to do whatever a girl wanted, and if Akane wanted to be let go, then he would comply. “Okay,” he said a little disappointed.
 
Akane blinked. She thought he would start an argument like he did last night. But all he did was what she asked. Maybe this engagement thing wouldn't be so bad; at least it could help out with her other social problem. A cruel smile crossed her face.
 
“Well what are you waiting for?” she asked. “Let's get moving you slow pokes.”
 
“What's she so happy about?” Ranma wondered.
 
“Don't know, but keep what just happened quiet for now.” Ranma sent his older brother a confused look. “Tendo-san and Oyaji were halfway to the phone to call a priest, but I took care of that. Now we better hurry or we'll be late.”
 
Ranma nodded. The heirs to the Saotome School grabbed their bags and followed the longhaired girl.
 
------------
 
“So what time did you get up this morning?” Akane asked the older of the Saotome brothers. Both he and Ranma were walking along the top of the fence dressed in identical red silk shirts and black pants. The only difference was that Shinta had on black bracers while Ranma had blue. Shinta's sword was also held at his waist by the white belt-like cloth.
 
“I always get up before dawn to train with my sword and to start breakfast. If I didn't, the panda would eat all but the rice then tell us: `a true martial artist can survive on rice only.' He could never live by example,” he added bitterly. Ranma snickered a little.
 
Suddenly Genma ran up behind him on the fence and hit Shinta's head.
 
“You ungrateful boy!!” he yelled, angrily.
 
“What didja do that for?!” Shinta yelled back.
 
“Listen Shinta, I'll say this once: You ne--” Genma's rant was cut short as Shinta and Ranma tripped him into the canal.
 
“Huh? Were you saying something? I can't hear you,” Shinta mocked the man-turned-animal.
 
The panda jumped onto the fence and started attacking Shinta, who easily dodged every punch thrown at him while keeping perfect balance. Shinta seemed to bore easily and finished the little squabble by tripping the panda back into the canal.
 
“You can never have to many baths, ne?” he said as he jumped off the fence.
 
“Ya know he's gonna be pissed this afternoon,” commented Ranma as he jumped down next to him.
 
“Like he's ever in a good mood when he's not stuffing his face?” his brother replied dryly. Ranma just nodded in agreement.
 
This family gets weirder every day, thought Akane. At that moment, both Ranma and Shinta were splashed with water from an irritated panda.
 
“We'll deal with you later,” said Ranma-chan as she tightened her belt and headed back down the road.
 
“You'll be late if you go home and take a bath,” said Akane.
 
“But where are we gonna get some hot water?” replied Shinta-chan as she ignored the lecture signs the panda was waving around.
 
“I know,” said Akane. “Follow me.”
 
The sisters kicked their panda into the river once more then followed Akane.
 
---------------
 
The trio soon came upon a small clinic located on a corner. Akane told the two of them to stay put as she went in to get the water.
 
Ranma-chan sighed as she leaned against the outer wall and waited. “What a way to begin our first day in a new town.”
 
“Could be worse,” replied her current sister. “Someone could've seen us change, and start spreading rumors.” She watched the entrance anxiously for Akane to come back.
 
“True. But that doesn't make today any less of a headache,” Ranma-chan groused.
 
Shinta-chan turned to look at her sister and saw a skeleton place a hand on her. Both girls yelled in surprise then got in combat stances.
 
“Pardon me,” came a falsetto voice behind the skeleton. A man in his late twenties appeared. He was dressed in a loose fitting hamuka, had his brown hair in a short ponytail, and wore a pair of small glasses. The man smiled humorously at the startled girls.
 
“Sorry. But I do like to be mischievous once in a while. This is my assistant, Betty-chan. Nice complexion, don't you think?”
 
What's with this guy? thought Shinta-chan. At that moment Akane rounded the corner with a kettle.
 
“Here guys I got the—Dr. Tofu!” she cried surprised. “G-good morning,” she stammered with a quick bow.
 
“Why good morning to you too, Akane,” replied the man retuning the bow. “You haven't been around lately. No new injuries?” he half joked.
 
Akane had a small blush as the doctor continued to talk with her. Meanwhile, the siblings used the hot water to change back.
 
Shinta noticed that Ranma watched them a little intently. I wonder… he thought, as the teen trio was off to school again.
 
------------
 
“So that guy practices martial arts,” Ranma stated as they continued towards the school. Akane turned her head a little surprised.
 
“How can you tell?” she asked.
 
“The way he moved and held himself were good indicators,” Shinta supplied. That and the fact that I didn't sense any aura from him till after he scared us, he finished mentally.
 
“I guess he's good, but I haven't seen him practice myself,” Akane continued. “Ever since I was little, he's treated all of my injuries.” She began to get a far away look on her face, as if she was remembering a very pleasant dream.
 
“Isn't he a boy?” Ranma asked a little snidely as he jumped next to Akane. “I mean your sister said you hate boys.”
 
That seemed to bring her out of her little retrieve and she quickened her pace. “That's right,” she replied as the school came into view. “I.” She started jogging.
“Hate.” Now she was running full tilt. “BOYS!!!!”
 
As if that was the cue, a giant horde of boys, dressed in various sports equipment, stampeded out of the gates. The brothers watched in slight awe as Akane barreled right in and started knocking opponents down, left and right. What made Shinta tilt his head in confusion was the fact that all of the boys where proclaiming that they loved Akane. The fact that she was beating them fairly easily accounted to the way she fought the day before.
 
One punch KO, Shinta thought a little grimly. She needs to get through all of these guys before getting to class, so she wants to end it as soon as possible.
 
“Hey, Shinta! Ranma!” cried a voice.
 
Said parties looked up to see Nabiki leaning out of a window.
 
“The two of you need to get to class soon,” she called.
 
Shinta just shrugged and started walking until Ranma grabbed his arm. “What about Akane?” Ranma asked. Shinta knew his brother enough to sense the slight worry in his voice.
 
“It's almost over by now, besides the way she fought yesterday was the same,” Shinta said simply. “I'm guessing this isn't the first time it has happened.”
 
Ranma just grumbled a little and let go. They approached the panting girl a little cautiously.
 
“Honestly, everyday you guys do this, aren't you tired of this yet?” Akane asked the unconscious lot of boys.
 
Shinta was about to comment on her fighting style when an aura, stronger than the other's, diverted his attention. He narrowed his eyes at the tree the aura was admitting from and decided to investigate. Shinta quietly slipped around the tree to find another boy watching the aftermath of the brawl. He was dressed in a dark blue and black hamuka that was usually reserved for kendo practitioners. A bokken was held lazily in his left hand while the other held a rose. An evil smile crossed Shinta's face as an idea to deal with the boy in front of him appeared.
 
Shinta cupped his hands around his mouth right by the boy's ear.
 
“BANZAI!!!!!!!!!!!” he yelled at the top of his lungs.
 
The kendo boy jumped three feet in the air while letting out a very non-masculine scream.
 
Ranma and Akane turned at the initial yell to see a boy around their age looking like he just had five years shaved off his life. They soon heard someone laughing hysterically behind the tree the kendo boy jumped out from.
 
Ranma started chuckling at the look on the boy's face and at what Shinta had to do to get it. Akane just looked between the two laughing brothers and the recovered kendoist with a little confusion and more than a little worry.
 
Don't they know they just ticked off one of the best fighters here? she thought, and then mentally slapped herself. Duh, they haven't been here before, so they wouldn't know.
 
“Who does thou think he is to bother one so righteous as myself?” demanded the startled boy.
 
“A bit full of ourselves, aren't we?” Shinta asked, still laughing slightly. “If you demand introductions, why don't you begin with yourself, sir pompous ass?”
 
A number of students looked out of the various windows of the school to see what all the commotion was about. Many just made it time to hear the new student's bold declaration.
 
The kendo boy's left eye twitched. “Fine then, mine I shall give. I am the undefeated captain of the kendo club, and the raising new star in the kendo world. My peers call me the Blue Thunder of Furinken High. Tatewaki Kuno, age 17.” Lightning flashed behind the boy at the end of his speech.
 
Shinta and Ranma blinked at the over the top display.
 
“Ooooookay,” they said as one. They then looked at each other before smirking. “We are the hairs to the Saotome branch of Anything Goes Martial Arts.” They proceeded to remove their backpacks as they got into combat stances. “We are Shinta and Ranma Saotome, and we accept your challenge.”
 
Kuno glared at them. “You would be so dishonorable as to attack me two on one?” he asked with a hint of surprise in his voice. “Not that it will make a difference on the outcome.” He added confidently.
 
The siblings sneered at the overly bloated ego the guy had.
 
Akane looked back and forth between the combatants before Ranma and Shinta started talking. Suddenly Ranma threw a punch while Shinta countered with a chop.
 
“Heh. Paper beats rock, better luck next time, bro.” Shinta smiled as Ranma sulked over to Akane to get a good view of the fight. Shinta turned his attention to the kendoist with a very serious expression. “If you don't want to get hurt, leave now.”
 
Kuno smirked and shook his head. “I was about to let you lowly dog have that same option.” He raised his weapon to an offensive stance. “Now I will punish you for soiling my beauteous Akane!!”
 
He lunged forward with full intent on slicing his opponent in half. Unfortunately, the opponent was not there and Kuno ended up cleaving a large gash in the school wall. Kuno noticed movement to his left and spotted Shinta lazily rebounding off a nearby tree. Kuno slashed at him again, but only succeeded in pruning the tree.
 
Shinta glared openly at his opponent. This guy's got some serious raw power, but he wealds it just as recklessly. Someone's going to get hurt if I don't end this fast. Shinta's hand started inching for his sword before something the other boy yelled registered. “What do you mean I soiled your Akane? Last time I checked she didn't belong to anyone.”
 
“Silence knave!” Kuno bellowed. “You and your brother act so familiar with her, that you must have some hold over her. That means she has become soiled by your witchcraft!”
 
Shinta resisted with all his might the oncoming facefault. What planet does this guy's mind live on?
 
Ranma turned to Akane. “Is he always this illogical?”
 
Akane did not answer. All of her attention was on the fight. It was obvious to her that Shinta was holding back some, however so was Kuno. What she did not know was how much. Shinta's sword also presented a problem. She had no idea how skilled he was despite his boasts.
 
Suddenly the brothers sensed the oncoming rain that was about to fall. Ranma quickly moved Akane to the overhang at the school entrance, while Shinta readied himself for one last strike.
 
Kuno saw Ranma run off while dragging Akane. “Halt fiend! Who does thou think he is to touch the fair tigress?” He then lunged in their direction to strike down the enemy, and rescue the damsel.
 
Shinta appeared in front of him and blocked the wooden sword with his left hand. He then struck the kendo boy on the forehead, knocking him away. Shinta then joined his brother and future sister-in-law at the door right before the rain started.
 
“Why didn't you finish him off?” Ranma asked his elder brother.
 
“Because I didn't have time,” Shinta replied hotly. “If I had stayed out there any later, I would've gotten wet.” Ranma got quiet as realization occurred.
 
“I'm not sure you would've beaten him,” Akane supplied.
 
“What makes you say that?” asked Shinta with a load of confidence.
 
“Check your hand,” she replied with some disinterest.
 
Shinta glanced at the hand he had blocked with, and blinked with some surprise. The palm of his hand was red and showed signs of scratching. How do you scratch with a polished bokken? “I guess he's stronger than he looks.”
 
“If he hit you, you would have a hole in you somewhere,” Akane concluded. She then proceeded to head for her classroom with the Saotomes right behind her.
 
The brothers had the same thought. That guy is trouble, but nothing I can't handle.
 
--------------
 
As quickly as it started, the rain ended. The sun shone on the remaining rain on the leaves of the trees giving them an almost crystal shimmer. This went unnoticed by most of the school, as they were too busily talking about the new students.
 
One student was more interested in the bruise on his forehead to even listen to the banter around him. What made the bruise so interesting was it spelled `Baka Yaro' in flawless kanji. Yes, Kuno found his bruise very interesting.
 
“Do you even remember being hit more than once, Kuno-chan?” asked a voice to his right.
 
Kuno looked up from his pink hand-held mirror to level a glare at the speaker. “I need not speak to you, Nabiki Tendo,” he said gruffly. “To think I found an opponent worthy of facing me is a blessing from the gods themselves.”
 
-----------
 
Red and Pink rolled their eyes.
 
------------
 
“I think you might be over your head if you challenge Shinta-kun or Ranma,” Nabiki replied exasperated.
 
“Oh? And why is that?” Kuno asked with a mild sense of interest.
 
He did not get his answer right away as the teacher came in to begin the first class of the day.
 
-------------
 
“Students, would you please welcome our two new classmates, Ranma and Shinta Saotome.” The teacher waved a hand at the two brothers who bowed in greeting. The teacher blinked as he read his new students' bios. “Uh, Shinta-kun? Aren't you a little old for this grade?”
 
Shinta mentally cursed a fat panda before answering. “My family has been traveling for a few years, so I have not had the chance to go to school like this for a while. I intend to take the teachings here seriously and hopefully be able to assist anyone in need of tutoring.”
 
Several of the girls blushed and giggled at what he could help them “study.” Shinta sighed as he saw the reaction that statement caused. I have to be careful on how I phrase my words from now on.
 
The teacher nodded in appreation. “That's nice to hear, but that doesn't excuse you, your brother, and miss Tendo for being late. Please stand in the hall.”
 
-----------------
 
“Bucket duty on day one,” groused Ranma as he adjusted his grip on his buckets.
 
“I'm surprised we were late, considering we left the main office with plenty of time,” said Shinta a little confused. He was hanging the two buckets on the ends of his still sheathed sword, while balancing the sword on his shoulders.
 
“The clock in the office is five minutes slow,” Akane answered.
 
“Oh,” was their response.
 
A little while later, Ranma asked what the deal was with the hoard.
 
Akane sighed before answering. “At the start of the last semester, Kuno asked me out on a date and I refused him. Later the same week he made a declaration that if any boy wanted to date me, they would have to prove themselves by beating me in battle.”
 
Shinta almost dropped his buckets at the end of the story. I take back my past opinion of Kuno. This guy's flippin' nuts. Shinta's eyes narrowed as he felt a familiar aura heading towards them. He removed his buckets and slipped his sword back to its usual place at his hip.
 
Ranma barely dodged the splash of water that would have activated his curse. The three of them turned to see an angry Kuno glaring at Ranma.
 
“Never,” Kuno stated. “I shall never allow it.”
 
“Allow what?” asked Ranma.
 
“Ranma Saotome, I shall never allow your engagement to Akane Tendo!!!” Kuno yelled furiously.
 
Shinta watched in sympathy as his brother and future in-law paled before getting battered with questions and criticisms from their classmates. Ranma and Akane tried to get them to quiet down by denying their engagement, but Kuno would not listen and attacked Ranma, slicing one of his buckets in half.
 
The siblings jumped over Kuno and started running down the hall. Kuno watched them go for a moment before his mind put two and two together and got twenty-two.
 
“Saotome, how dare you try and flee my holy wrath. I shall pursue you till the ends of the earth!” Kuno stated racing after his sworn enemies while Akane and the rest of the class just stared after them. Then Akane realized that they were going to fight over her, and she too raced after the boys with the rest of the class following her.
 
----------------------
 
“Is he following us?” asked Ranma.
 
Shinta closed his eyes for a moment before answering. “Yeah. Him and the rest of our class.”
 
“Kuso….” Ranma noticed an open window. “Hey, Shinta. Let's take this outside.”
 
Shinta nodded and leapt up on the ledge with his brother just as Kuno rounded the corner. “Follow us if you dare,” the elder Saotome taunted. The brothers then leapt into the air.
 
“Fear not, for I sh—ACK!!” Kuno noticed that they were on the third floor, and did what anyone would do in that situation: he screamed like a little girl as he fell.
 
“Hey look,” said one of the classmates. “They're sure lucky that they jumped out over the pool.”
 
“'LUCKY' he says?!” cried Ranma right before the three of them landed with a gigantic splash.
 
Akane watched with worry as Kuno's body floated up first. She saw two blurry figures swim to Kuno and seem to help him. Kuno was shot from the water a few moments later as the two figures headed towards the small clump of trees on the other side of the ten foot fence.
 
“Hey, did you just see two people with the same clothing as the Saotomes, but had different hair color?” asked one student.
 
“It must be a trick of the light,” reasoned another.
 
Akane took the opportunity to get away without being seen. Those two idiots, they asked me to keep their curses a secret, then the go and reveal them to one of the biggest perverts in school. Akane was going to give them a lecture on how to be less reckless.
 
----------------------
 
In a tree a fair distance away from the school building, two girls who were dressed alike, were having a heated discussion.
 
“Look, he challenged me, you don't get involved,” yelled a redhead as she wrung out her pants.
 
Her blond sister just glared in the direction of the school. “Sorry, but I need to finish our fight from this morning. You can have whatever is left after I'm done.” Shinta-chan absently rubbed an area on her breast where Kuno had squeezed her as they tried to save his pathetic life. That actually hurt. I'll return the pain back a hundred fold. Shinta-chan flared her aura for a few seconds to get rid of some of the moister in her clothes.
 
“Still, you shouldn't have used that attack. What if he's seriously hurt?” Worry was evident in the younger girl's voice.
 
“Serves that piece of horse shit right,” Shinta-chan sneered.
 
“You two are a piece of work,” came a voice slightly amused.
 
The cursed brothers looked down to see Akane standing calmly looking up at them.
 
“Wadda ya talkin' about?” Ranma-chan asked annoyed.
 
“What were you two thinking, jumping out of a third story window like that?” Akane replied simply.
 
“It's no concern of yours,” Ranma-chan continued then stuck out her tongue.
 
The dark haired girl just smiled. “If that's how you feel then I'll just dump this hot water.”
 
“No! Stop meanie!” pleaded Ranma-chan, but Akane's attention was elsewhere.
 
Shinta-chan looked in the same direction Akane was and saw Kuno. Shinta-chan's anger started to come back as she looked at the boy who (accidentally) molested her. She quickly jumped down next to Akane.
 
“Let me handle him,” she stated as she walked over to the young kendo boy. “Hey! Stick Boy! You lookin' for an ass kicking?”
 
Kuno glanced over at the indirect challenge. What stood before him was an older but no less beautiful woman. A woman who stood in the way of his noble quest to free Akane from a false engagement.
 
“An interesting way to ask, fair maiden. Should you best me in combat, I shall allow you the pleasure of dating me.” Kuno then charged in to end the fight quickly.
 
“And exactly who is asking for a date here?” Shinta-chan asked disgusted as she dodged the strike. She quickly unarmed her opponent by chopping his wrists. She then used the wooden sword to knock Kuno senseless.
 
She's good with a sword, Kuno thought as he fell. Almost as good as me….
 
“Guess what Kuno-bozu,” Shinta-chan said to the near unconscious boy. “The Saotome brothers are at least twice as good as me. You'd be wise to not bother them.” She then broke the sword in half and started walking off.
 
“Where do you think you're going?” asked a surprised Akane. She had barely seen Shinta-chan move during the fight. She's better than I originally thought. “School's not over yet.”
 
Shinta-chan looked over her shoulder. “For me it is. You can go back and deal with your classmates if you want. Me, I just want to head back and rest.”
 
Ranma, who had changed back during the fight, noticed the tiredness in his sister's voice and frowned. “Wait up, bro. I'll go with you.”
 
“Call me `sis' when I'm like this. You'll give people strange ideas otherwise.” Shinta-chan explained irritably.
 
“Gomen….” Ranma replied embarrassed.
 
Akane watched the siblings walk off for a few seconds before deciding that she did not want to deal with the rumor mill until she talked with her sister. She sighed heavily then followed the pair of martial artists.
 
------------------
 
That night…
 
Nabiki typed lazily on her computer as she went over the recent income she made by being the one to confirm the engagement rumor. Good thing Akane decided to cut school, I doubt I would have made half as much today, she mused. Any further thoughts were interrupted by someone polity knocking on her door. “Come in,” she called as she put her computer to sleep.
 
Her door opened to reveal a male Shinta with a small but determined expression. “Good evening Nabiki-kun,” he began. “Word on the street is you're one of the best people to go to when someone needs information.”
 
Nabiki easily surmised that Shinta was not here for a social call. “You heard correctly then. So why don't we cut the small talk and get down to business,” she replied professionally. “My time and information aren't cheap.”
 
Shinta smirked as he sat down on the floor. “I expected as much from you. However, before I tell you what I need to find out about, I have a little deal for you.”
 
Nabiki leaned forward a little. “I'm listening.”
 
Later….
 
“So… do we have a deal?” asked Shinta.
 
Nabiki closed her eyes as she thought about what he proposed. She weighed the pros and cons, estimated how many resources she could sacrifice, and figured an approximant value she would get in the end. “This is not a small thing you're asking,” she stated.
 
Shinta sighed. “I know, but you're the only one I can trust with certain `information' right now.”
 
“You have a point there.” She sighed as she opened her eyes to look straight into Shinta's. “Fine, we have a deal. However, if it becomes to dangerous, I reserve the right to end my part in this.”
 
Shinta nodded in agreement. “Sounds fair. But once you are out, I don't owe you anything else. Deal?” He put out his hand.
 
Nabiki grasped it and shook it very professionally. “Deal. I'll let you know as soon as I find something out.”
 
Shinta just smiled as he rose. “I'll talk with you tomorrow then.” He turned to leave.
 
Nabiki polity cleared her throat. “My initial fee?”
 
Shinta smirked over his shoulder. “Already in your hand.” He then left.
 
Nabiki looked at the hand she shook Shinta with surprised. Her hand held a large some of money. “Shinta Saotome, you and your brother are going to make life here very interesting.” She smiled as she prepared for bed and planed out her next day.
 
End for now
 
A/N: What is Kuno going to do about being beaten by a strange girl? What exactly did Shinta and Nabiki talk about? Did any of their classmates see the curses? Will I shut up now? Yes I will. The answers to the other questions and more will be revealed in Ranma's Brother Chapter 3