Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Ranma Universe: Alpha and Omega ❯ Chapter 2: An Amazing Day of Firsts ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Part 2: An Amazing Day of Firsts
 
Greetings!
 
For those unfamiliar with my prior works, I would just like to state two things. First, I only write epic stories, no short stories or one-shots. Second, always expect the unexpected to happen in my stories… I always bring in unusual ideas and elements. Thanks to RanmaSaotome103, Datexn, Fusion Blaster, and Danny171984 for prereading. Having said that- onto the next part of the story!
 
Last time, Nabiki and Kasumi were chasing after Happosai on the second floor of the Tendo house. Genma and Soün are drinking at the table… and Akane and Ranma are retrieving an old fishing pole.
 
After about one minute of searching, Akane finally finds the pole. Ranma ties Kasumi's bra to it and the two pause for a moment to think of a plan.
 
“Okay, now we have the bait… but how to trap him?” Ranma scratched his head in thought.
 
Akane has an idea a moment later. She grabs a nearby sack and hands it to Ranma.
 
“All we need to do is distract him and then bag him… cornering him would be the best idea.”
 
“Sounds good to me… gramps isn't gonna know what hit him.”
 
Ranma and Akane silently head upstairs to meet up with Nabiki and Kasumi. They find Nabiki first and pull her off to the side to explain what their plan is…
 
“Good idea guys. Let's get Kasumi and then we can trap Happosai.”
 
Nabiki looks at the fishing pole and realizes that one of Kasumi's bras is the bait.
 
“Heh. Whose idea was it use that bra?”
 
Ranma speaks up with some hesitancy. “Mine.”
 
Nabiki nudges Akane with her elbow. She decides to play a joke on Akane. “Are you sure you want to win? It looks like Ranma is thinking perverted thoughts…”
 
As Nabiki expected, Akane came immediately to Ranma's defense. “Not this time, sis. I know Ranma was just trying to help out.”
 
Akane takes a knowing look at Ranma, and he nods. He feels happy inside about the fact that she just defended his actions… she was putting trust in him… and he liked it.
 
`These two make a great duo… if only they could work together like this all the time…' Nabiki thought to herself as she placed a hand on Ranma and Akane's shoulder.
 
“Well, it looks like Akane is falling in…” Akane elbowed Nabiki before she could embarrass her further.
 
Ranma clears his throat and brings the groups attention back to the mission at hand. “Akane, you hold the pole and Nabiki and I will spring out and trap him.”
 
Both Tendo girls nod and then the three silently head down the hallway. After turning the corner, they find Kasumi holding a rattling door shut.
 
“He's in here…” Kasumi said as she struggled to keep the door closed.
 
Nabiki walked up to Kasumi and whispered in her ear. “Let the door open up in about 20 seconds, and then wonder around saying that you saw one of your bra's lying around somewhere… and we'll do the rest…”
 
Kasumi nodded her head, hoping that she could hold the door shut for that long. Nabiki, Ranma, and Akane tiptoed down the hallway and got ready to spring their trap. Right on time, Kasumi suddenly let go of the door… and Happosai came bounding out of it…
 
“Give up, my dear?”
 
Kasumi acts innocent and does her trademark “Oh my” and then leads Happosai on with her next comment…
 
“I saw one of my bras lying around here… where did it go?”
 
Eager to find this lost treasure, Happosai goes running down the hallway, he wants to find it before she does. After turning the corner, his query is sight…
 
“Sweeto! So beautiful… so lacy… I must have this one!”
 
Happosai jumps at the bra, eager to hold it in his hands. He grabs it and starts to feel it, checking out the fabric. He fails to notice that Ranma and Nabiki are behind him… and Akane is standing right in front of him... he's totally surrounded.
 
“We got you old man… give up the underwear now!” Ranma said with conviction.
 
Happosai pulls his bag of underwear closer. “Never!”
 
Happosai looks around and tries to think of a way to escape from this situation… and one comes to mind after a moment. He starts digging in his pockets… and the other three go on guard, expecting a bomb or something else like it to appear.
 
“Behold the instrument of my escape!”
 
Ranma snickered at the site of the object that was in Happosai's hand. “What are you going to do with that little balloon?”
 
“Never underestimate me, Ranma… I know all of your weaknesses…”
 
A smile formed on Ranma's face. “Unless there's a cat in there, I'm not worried at all.”
 
“No, it's not a cat. I do know of some other things you don't like…” Happosai prepares to throw the balloon at Ranma… “And here it is!”
 
Ranma instinctively raised his hands to block the balloon… and by doing so, caused it to break upon impact. The water that was inside the balloon splashes onto him and Nabiki… he can feel the now familiar sensation of changing forms…
 
Happosai takes advantage of the transformation and jumps onto Ranma-chan. He knows that Ranma dislikes being felt up in his girl form… and takes advantage of this to try and escape…
 
“Ranma, you're becoming quite the woman…”
 
“Get off of me you little lech!” Ranma-chan screamed as Happosai's started to feel her up in earnest. `Another second or two and I'll make my break for it…' Happosai thought as he continued his assault. Akane and Nabiki started to move in “for the kill.” Happosai had one last thing to say to Ranma-chan before making his move…
 
“Sweeto! Nice, big, round, and SOFT!”
 
Ranma-chan goes red with embarrassment, she hadn't gotten used to all of the things that go with being a female. Happosai sensed that her guard was down and pushed off, flying back towards the wall. He then bounced off the wall and flew forward…
 
… right into Akane's sack. She quickly ties it up and holds it up triumphantly.
 
“We did it, Ranma. Good work.”
 
“Thanks, Akane.” Ranma stares at the sack with the struggling old man inside. “That's what you get for stealing underwear… not everyone you steal from is helpless.”
 
Nabiki was the next one to speak. “You don't how much money I've had to raise just to buy some of these… and you steal all my hard work.”
 
Cries of “But, but…” are heard from within the bag. “I can't help it, they're Sooooooooooo SOFT!”
 
Nabiki is ready to beat the sack and the old man within it to a pulp. Happosai's next comment, however, is directly towards Ranma-chan… and sends her over the edge.
 
“Hey Ranma my boy, maybe you should try wearing a bra- it would do your figure more good.”
 
A very embarrassed and pissed off Ranma-chan motions Akane to hold out the sack. Ranma-chan looks at Nabiki and then nods at the sack.
 
“Ready Nabiki?”
 
“Let's send this pervert flying!”
 
Nabiki and Ranma launch a simultaneous double kick which sends Happosai flying thru the ceiling and out into the night…
 
“Good riddance” Ranma-chan said with a smile on her face.
 
Nabiki turns to look at Ranma-chan and notices something…
 
“Ranma, your shirt is open…”
 
Akane just puts her hand over her forehead in exasperation. Ranma-chan looks down and finds that her shirt has several buttons undone… exposing part of her chest…
 
“That pervert! I hate it when he does that!” Ranma-chan replied with much disgust as she re-buttoned her shirt.
 
Nabiki takes the bag full of underwear and starts walking away…
 
“It's been fun… but I'm tired. I'll get Kasumi and we'll separate the lingerie. Thanks, sis, Ranma”
 
“No problem. Taking care of gramps there is always a workout…”
 
“Good night, sis.” Akane said she handed Nabiki the bra that was on the fishing pole.
 
“Good night… see you two in the morning.”
 
Akane yawns. “Maybe I should turn in for the night… I'm sure that I have a long day ahead of me tomorrow…”
 
“Oh, that's right… our parents have a training schedule for you.” Ranma-chan replied, remembering the events of earlier that day.
 
“Yeah. I'd better rest up for the training. Good night, Ranma”
 
“'Night, Akane…”
 
Akane walks down the hall and heads to her room. She knows that tomorrow is a big day… and so is every day until the battle. After changing for bed, she relaxes and thinks about the future… and falls asleep thinking about Ranma.
 
Around midnight, Kasumi comes downstairs to get something to eat, being very hungry because of missing her dinner and dealing with Happosai earlier. She is surprised to see someone out on the patio, staring at the night sky…
 
“Ranma?”
 
Ranma-chan turns around. “Oh, hi Kasumi.”
 
“I'm surprised to see your still awake… is something on your mind?”
 
Ranma-chan gives a halfhearted reply. “Yeah, sorta…”
 
Kasumi had a few ideas about what may be bothering Ranma… one issue in particular had to be on her mind at the moment.
 
“You're worried about the fight, aren't you?”
 
“Of course I am… my big mouth got me into trouble this time…” Ranma-chan said with some sadness in her voice.
 
“Ranma, you're not the only one in trouble here…”
 
Ranma-chan was taken aback by Kasumi's sudden serious tone of voice. Kasumi continues a moment later…
 
“Akane is now involved in this fight because of what you said… and I'm…”
 
Kasumi pauses for a moment before speaking again, she is starting to get really emotional about all that is happening around her.
 
“…Very worried about my sister. She hasn't been training as much as she could've been lately… and those other girls could really hurt her…”
 
Ranma-chan doesn't know what to say in reply to Kasumi… she had not even considered what the consequences of that comment were to other people around her, especially Akane. Nabiki, who had come down to get a snack a minute prior, steps onto the porch and speaks a few choice words to Ranma…
 
“If anything happens to my sister.. you will pay for it Saotome... one way or the other.”
 
Normally Kasumi would scold her sister about using that tone of voice with someone… but not now. Nabiki is concerned about her sisters welfare and picked that way to voice it. Ranma-chan can barely stutter a reply in return…
 
“I… I… I'm sorry…”
 
“You will be if she gets hurt… you'd better hope that she wins, Ranma…”
 
With that, Nabiki headed back inside the house. On her way back upstairs, she passes a half awake Akane, who was on her way to the kitchen for a midnight snack.
 
“You'd better talk to your fiancée… it's his fault that you're in this fight…”
 
Akane nods and then yawns; acknowledging Nabiki's comment. Nabiki heads back to bed and Akane silently heads into the kitchen. She hears Kasumi and Ranma-chan talking and decides to silently listen in…
 
“Oh my," Kasumi says softly. "Didn't Shampoo say that obstacles were for killing... you don't think she'd..." she could not finish the question as the answer was all too clear.
 
"NO... please... damn it... this wasn't supposed to happen.... if she gets hurt... I'll... I can't... please Kami, don't let her get hurt..." With that, Ranma-chan fell down to her knees as the emotions started to overwhelm her. She had suddenly realized that Kodachi and Shampoo could kill Akane outright, in this competition, it'd be very close to legal.
 
After seeing Ranma-chan fall to her knees and begin to shake, she couldn't help but say something to calm Ranma-chan and herself down…
 
“Ranma… I'm sure Akane will be all right… you know how determined she is.”
 
Akane could not believe her ears… she was hearing the always strong, arrogant, and cocky Ranma Saotome break down like that... over her. She was definitely confused… and also happy at the same time.
 
Kasumi, seeing the way Ranma-chan is acting, decides to ask her an important question. She knows that it would be difficult for Ranma to answer, but she needed to know his true feelings…
 
“Ranma, do you love Akane?”
 
Ranma-chan takes a deep breath and is about to say something when Kasumi speaks again.
 
“Ranma, please tell me the truth- don't lie to me.”
 
All Ranma-chan can manage is a slight nodding of her head; she wasn't expecting Kasumi to ask that question. That question had been that she had been thinking about lately, but her inexperience in emotional matters made it difficult to really tell what her real feelings were on the matter. The smile on Kasumi's face indicates to Ranma-chan that the response was good enough.
 
From her vantage point, Akane was unable to see what just happened- she only heard the words that were spoken. She decides to head back upstairs… she was beginning to get sleepy again and there was a lot on her mind- the fight, Ranma, what his answer was…
 
Ranma-chan could swear that she heard someone walking in the distance, it sounded like someone was making slow, wooden steps. Kasumi draws Ranma-chan's attention back to the matter at hand.
 
Kasumi smiled gently, "Don't you think you should tell her then?"
 
Ranma-chan sighed heavily, "You know what'll happen if I do..."
 
"But why is that a bad thing?" Kasumi asked in confusion as she thought that admitting feelings would lead to marriage.
 
“Kasumi... no matter what choice I make... honor of the Saotome's, Tendo's and Kuonji's are at stake as well as many others." She let out an agonizing sigh. "If I were to marry one, then the honor bound agreements to the others is then broken... and then what good is 'our' Honor?" Ranma had put an emphasis on `our' to show she was not just talking about herself. Kasumi gasped at what she said and understood what he meant by 'our'. Kasumi was pleasantly surprised, as she had never known Ranma to think so much about it. "I... I think this fight is the only way to satisfy the honor of everyone... even if I... even if I chose one, because of my pops, our honor is ruined…"
 
Kasumi looked at him sadly, "But Ranma..."
 
"And that's another thing..." Ranma-chan said interrupting her and then wincing at having interrupted her.
 
“Go on…”
 
“My curse…” Ranma-chan stopped speaking as she felt her emotions starting to overwhelm her. This was one thing that Ranma disliked about being in female form… he was not used to being emotional like this. All of the events of today started rapidly spinning through her mind and she began to sob softly…
 
"Kasumi, I've started to think about my curse… I may never be cured…"
 
“Ranma… that may be true. I don't think my sister or the others ever really had a problem with it, though…”
 
“Well, Shampoo wanted to kill me at first… and your sister was kinda pissed off at me and how I used this form in the past… but now things are different, I guess.” Ranma said with a sigh.
 
Kasumi put a reassuring hand on Ranma-chan's shoulder.
 
“It's just… I'm not used to being a girl- I wasn't born that way… I don't know if the others understand that…”
 
“Oh…” was about all that Kasumi could say to that.
 
“Shampoo would be the only one with any clue about how I feel… since she has a curse, too…”
 
“Ranma… I can't relate to how you feel but… if you need any help with dealing with being a girl, just ask. Don't be ashamed or embarrassed about it… since like you said, it's not a natural thing for you.”
 
Ranma-chan turned and smiled at Kasumi. “Thanks…”
 
A thought came to Kasumi's mind a moment later. “Ranma, why don't I get you some hot water so you can change back.”
 
“Thank you Kasumi” Ranma-chan said, eager to change back and then get some rest, it was nearly one A.M. and she had school tomorrow.
 
A couple minutes later, Kasumi returned and handed Ranma-chan the container of hot water. She eagerly splashed it on herself and was soon back to his original self.
 
“Whew… it feels good to be back.”
 
“You should get some rest, Ranma. It's almost 1 A.M. and you have school tomorrow…” Kasumi said with some concern. Ranma needed rest, and he wanted to think about the situation and try and help Akane, if at all possible.
 
Ranma stood up. “Good night, Kasumi. It was nice talking with yah…” Ranma walked back into the house and went straight to his room. He fell asleep after a few minutes of thinking- he had been thinking about his discussion with Kasumi and how he had learned some new things about her today… and about himself.
 
Kasumi had similar thoughts about Ranma as she relaxed in her bed. `There is more to him then meets the eye… I hope Akane gets the chance to see that. I never knew about this side of him… and he does love Akane. I hope Father and Mr. Saotome can teach her and help her to win…'
 
The next day at school was horrible for Ranma and Akane. Both were pestered by other students asking about the fight and what they were going to do. During lunch Akane sat by herself and silently ate her food, thinking about different things she could do to beat the other girls.
 
During the morning session of school, Ukyo had watched what was going on. A few
people asked her about the fight, but most were busy pestering Ranma and Akane. She silently stole glances of Ranma when Akane wasn't looking.
 
`This could be my one and only chance to get Ran-chan for myself… but I don't know if that matters.' Ukyo sighed heavily as she remembered a couple important things that had happened recently, most notably that incident on the floating island. He had risked his life for Akane again, giving up the chance to get rid of his curse for her. Ranma had disappeared to go after Akane during the Shinnosuke incident- that she had heard about from Ryoga. The cursed jewel incident… there was just so much stuff to ponder. Ranma and Akane still were fighting, that was still one of their trademarks, but it was different then it was in the past… and he always came back to her. No matter what happened, they ended up together again. `What should I do? I can't back out of the fight…'
 
Ukyo pulled out her lunch and began eating, thinking about what to do. Five minutes later, she had a few ideas. First, she would allow herself to get hurt... if Ranma shows concern then fight harder... fight for him. That would help to show where his true feelings lied. The other thing she would have to watch out for was what he does when Akane gets hurt- if he shows a lot of concern, then she will drop out as if she has already lost. Continuing to beat on Akane would only make things worse between them and would accomplish nothing. Having figured out a plan, she finished her lunch and took a nap before the lunch period was over.
 
About an hour later, over at the Cat Café, Shampoo was taking a break after the lunch rush. She was thinking about what kind of training she would do to prepare for the fight this weekend… and also daydreaming about Ranma. She nearly had him one time before, but Mousse had stopped her dream by giving that jewel to Akane. That setback crushed her… it took a while for her to realize that she wasn't out of the running just quite yet.
 
`This Shampoo's only chance to truly be with Ranma. If I win, he will be my airen…'
 
Cologne noticed Shampoo sitting down at one of the tables in the café, deep in thought. She decided to find out what was on her great-grand daughters mind…
 
“My dear, what is the matter?”
 
“Shampoo thinking about the fight and Ranma…”
 
“I figured as much. After we close up for the evening, I have a few Amazon techniques I can teach you. Surprise and skill are what will win the battle on Saturday. I hope you realize that by agreeing to this battle… you run the risk of losing Ranma if you lose. Honor dictates that fact…”
 
“Shampoo know that… but…”
 
“Just wanted to make sure you knew that. Can you run the restaurant for a while? I'll try and dig up some of my old scrolls…”
 
“Okay, great-grand mother!”
 
With that, Cologne bounced out of the room on her staff and headed upstairs to search for some Amazon techniques that could quickly be mastered.
 
Across town at the Kuno residence, Tatewaki Kuno walks into the main courtyard of his home and finds his sister practicing various techniques with her purple ribbon. A pile of black roses are on her right, various throwing objects lie on her left side. Tatewaki watches as his sister whips her ribbon around a bowling pin and then flings across the courtyard at the wall. Three specially made targets plaster the wall- a bull's-eye with the faces of Akane, Ukyo, and Shampoo on the backing.
 
“I see that you are working on your long distance attacks, dear sister…”
 
Kodachi throws another bowling pin towards the wall, hitting Ukyo this time instead of Shampoo. She then realizes that someone is behind her. Without thinking, she grabs another bowling pin and throws it in the direction of the person, hitting her brother right in the middle of the head and knocking him to the ground…
 
“HOHOHOHO serves you right brother dear for sneaking in and spying on me, the Black Rose!” Kodachi said as she walked over to her dazed brother who was now putting a hand over his forehead.
 
“Owww…”
 
“I shall win this contest and have Ranma-darling all to myself… HOHOHOHOO!”
 
Tatewaki just shakes his head and thinks about what would happen if she won. `Saotome and my sister… poor soul…'
 
Over in another corner of Nerima, Ranma and Akane arrive home from school and Akane suddenly finds herself being accosted by her father and Genma Saotome.
 
“Get changed, Akane. We don't have a moment to lose…” Soün said as he opened the door to her room.
 
“We'll be waiting in the dojo for you…” Genma said as he nodded his head. Soün and Genma then turn around and head down to the dojo for training. Nabiki, who is sitting at the living room table, notices her father and Genma going by and sighs aloud.
 
“If they're Akane's only hope, then she's doomed…” Nabiki causually remarked out loud to herself.
 
“Nabiki! Don't talk about your father like that!” Kasumi chided her sister for saying such a thing.
 
“Look, sis. You know that Daddy isn't the best martial artist around… and neither is Mr. Saotome…”
 
Before Kasumi can reply to that, Ranma walks into the room and is greeted by silence.
 
“Ranma here is about the only one that has any decent techniques…” Nabiki said as she pointed at Ranma.
 
“What are you guys talking about?” Ranma said, unaware of why their conversation had suddenly shifted to him.
 
“Nabiki has no faith in her own father or in your father…” Kasumi said, still unfazed about her sister's comments to the contrary.
 
“Well, I um…” Ranma suddenly stopped speaking as he heard Akane running down the stairs behind him. She ran right towards him on her way to the outside dojo… and time seemed to slow down for a moment as their eyes met. Ranma saw a very determined look on Akane's face… and when she saw his face, a brief smile formed on hers…
 
Nabiki watched her sister ran outside and couldn't help but make a comment…
 
“She looked pretty eager to train, Ranma…” Ranma didn't respond, he was still thinking about Akane and her smile that she had just flashed at him. `She certainly has a cute smile… and it looked like she was ready to fight… fight for me…'
 
“Hello, Ranma… Ranma!” Nabiki tried in vain to get his attention.
 
“Ranma, are you all right?” Kasumi asked, getting very concerned about Ranma's sudden zoning out.
 
“Huh?” Ranma finally came out of his stupor of deep thought and turned around.
 
Nabiki stands up and walks over to Ranma. “Taken by my sisters outfit, huh? Didn't you say it was your favorite thing to see her in?”
 
“Was she in her gi?" Ranma absent-mindedly replied. He was only focused on the smile, not on what she was wearing.
 
Nabiki realizes that he must have been looking at something else on her sister… but what? She decides to find out…
 
“Of course she was, Ranma… she's training with my father and yours… what were you looking at that you couldn't see what she was wearing?”
 
“Umm…” Ranma replied, trying to avoid getting teased in the future about Akane's smile. Unfortunately for him, Nabiki wasn't going to let him off easy…
 
“Yah know, Ranma… most of the time she doesn't wear a bra when she trains in that gi…” Nabiki said- being quite sure that Ranma would be embarrassed by the comment.
 
“Wait a second… you're wrong. She does wear one…” Nabiki smiled… she had caused Ranma to trap himself.
 
Nabiki pushed the inquisition to a new level. “And just how do you know that?”
 
“Well, um…” Ranma turned very red and lowered his voice. “She doesn't umm… bounce around very much when she trains…”
 
“I see… so you are a pervert, just like my sister says you are. You were staring at her breasts, weren't you?” Nabiki said as she nudged the very nervous and fidgeting martial artist.
 
“I wasn't looking at her breasts!” Ranma yelled out as he went on the defensive. Nabiki always had a way of getting him agitated with her teasing.
 
“Ranma, you shouldn't be staring at her breasts until after your marriage…” Kasumi said as she gently chided Ranma. Despite his protests to the contrary, she knew he had looked at Akane's chest a few times…
 
Any further comments are postponed, however. A loud “Bing” is heard in the distance, indicating that a timer had just gone off in the kitchen. Kasumi decides to get her sister away from Ranma. “Nabiki, I need some help with dinner…”
 
`Damn it… just when I was starting to have some fun.' Nabiki cleared her throat. “I'll talk to you later, Ranma… and don't forget what I said last night… Akane better win or else!”
 
With that, Kasumi and Nabiki walk out of the room and into the kitchen, leaving Ranma alone with his thoughts. He soon becomes bored and decides to see how Akane is doing. Quietly, he opens the door to the dojo and peeks inside. He finds Soün giving commands to Akane...
 
“That's good Akane… keep up the pace. High, low, high, low…”
 
“Good work.” Genma said as he continue to move the target, Akane was both punching and kicking the target, utilizing a number of her muscles in the process.
 
After another minute of training, Soün steps behind Akane and announces a new exercise…
 
“Let's see if you can defend against both of us at once. Since you're going against three other people, this situation is sure to come up…”
 
Akane stops for a moment to catch her breath and then nods at her father. “Good thinking, father… I'm sure they'll try and gang up on me during the fight…”
 
Ranma watches as Genma and Soün charge Akane and try to hit her. She deftly dodges their attacks and begins to counterattack. Her speed was improving and the clarity of purpose for the fight, to win and be with Ranma, only served to give her more strength and energy.
 
`She's getting a lot better… she does have a chance if she can keep on improving like this…' Ranma thought to himself as the match continued. Genma and Soün manage to get in a few hits each, but Akane pushes aside the pain and continues to fight…
 
`I hope she'll be okay… the other three girls view her as an obstacle…' Ranma gulps. `An obstacle to me… and my heart…' A tap on his shoulder suddenly brings Ranma's attention elsewhere. He spins around and finds a grinning face staring at him…
 
“Trying to get a good look at her chest again Ranma?” Nabiki said as Ranma sighed aloud. She had found him again… and Kasumi was nowhere to be seen. He would have to figure out a way to escape on his own…
 
“No, that's not why I was watching.” Ranma paused for a moment, Nabiki said nothing but just nodded her head, which signaled “Go on” to Ranma. “I was um… wondering about her training and how it was going. It looks she's doing pretty good in there…”
 
“Uh-huh. Well if that's the case, then I guess I'll have to stop teasing you about your wandering eyes…” Ranma breathed a sigh of relief after Nabiki's last statement. “I'll have to switch to teasing you about being concerned for my sister…” Nabiki said the last part with a smile…
 
Ranma started to get frustrated and pull at his hair a little bit. “Damn you, Nabiki!”
 
“Hey… can I help it if you're in love with my little sister?” Ranma was silent after that comment. Nabiki started walking back towards the house. “Oh, Ranma… it's almost time to eat, could you pass that along to Akane and our fathers…”
 
Ranma nods his head and then breathes a sigh of relief as Nabiki finally is out of his sight. `Thank goodness… I swear she gets on my nerves sometimes with all of her teasing and joking around.' Ranma heads over to the dojo and cautiously steps inside…
 
“Umm… dinner's almost ready…”
 
“Well, if that's the case, let's do some cool down excercises…” Soün said as he started to slow down and do some stretching excercises. Genma and Akane both start to do cool down activities as well… Akane notices Ranma glancing at her from the corner of her eye.
 
`Is he… worried about me? I could have sworn he was watching me train earlier…' Akane thought to herself as she did her cool down activities.
 
Ranma nervously waited for the three to finish their cool downs and then all four head inside for dinner.
 
A famished Soün and Genma quickly eat their food, all of that exercise has wiped them out. Kasumi continues to pass dish after dish their way…
 
“The way they're eating, you'd think the world was coming to an end…” Ranma commented to no one in particular.
 
Genma paused for a moment to give a retort. “Eating is part of the Art- one must have the energy as well as the will…”
 
“Whatever you say, pops…” Ranma said as he dismissed the idea… his father had just made that up on the spur of the moment to defend himself. Next to him, Akane quietly eats her dinner, truly enjoying every bite of Kasumi's dinner…
 
`I wish I could make food like this… almost everything I make is horrible. Oh well… one challenge at a time. First, I gotta win on Saturday and show those girls that Akane Tendo never backs down from a challenge…'
 
Dinner passes by quickly; Nabiki is surprisingly silent during the whole affair. Kasumi had a talk with her and got her to “take it easy” on Ranma and Akane during this difficult time. Nabiki heads back to her room after dinner and tries to think of some money-making ideas…
 
Akane decides to head out to the dojo again to do some more practicing and Ranma heads up to his room to work on some homework…
 
`Damn it… this stuff is hard!' Ranma thought as he tried to finish off his school work. Due to the 10 year training trip that he had taken with his father, his formal education was minimal, except for what he had learned since living here with the Tendo's.
 
Ranma lied down on his futon and looked up at the ceiling. Too much was going on in his life… this incident was icing on the cake, so to speak. Because of his comments, his future was now in the hands of someone else and he really couldn't do anything about it.
 
Before he knew, Ranma fell asleep and started have a dream…
 
The green field of Furinkan High School comes into view as Ranma looks around to see where he is. He can see four girls in the distance and immediately realizes that this must be the big battle. Adrenaline fills his body as he runs over to the fighting girls… he suddenly stops in his tracks as the image becomes clearer. Akane is on the ground, barely conscious and bleeding heavily.
 
“Ranma no longer have to worry about kitchen-destroyer…”
 
“The Black Rose cannot be defeated!”
 
Shampoo and Kodachi's words echo through Ranma's soul as he looks down at the horrifying sight that is right before him. He desperately yells “STOP!” but no one hears him. The girls continue to attack Akane, the sheer brutality of their attacks sickens Ranma… he screams “Damn it, STOP!” several times to no avail. “AKANE!” is the last thing he manages to say before waking up in a cold sweat…
 
`Damn! What a nightmare! Akane got…'

Words fail Ranma as he realizes something rather important. His dream/nightmare could very well happen in real life… knowing Shampoo and Kodachi. Ukyo was another matter all together. She wouldn't beat someone when they were down… but she did still hold onto the idea that she could be more then just his friend. Ranma tries to focus his mind on something else and quickly decides to try and finish his schoolwork, which will keep him out of trouble at school and also with Akane.
 
A few hours later, Genma comes upstairs and finds his son asleep. He turns off the light and crawls into his own futon and begins talking to himself as he falls asleep…
 
`Don't worry boy… Akane will have a good chance of winning. She just spent another hour training… the schools will still be united…'
 
Time passes and it's soon Friday. Ranma and Akane head off to school as usual but speak very little on the way there. Akane is very tired from the previous days training and Ranma has a lot on his mind. There are no confrontations during the morning session of class… Kuno was going to confront Ranma but was stopped by Nabiki, who made a quick sale of some older photos that she had found…
 
At lunchtime, Ukyo deliberates on a thought that she had earlier in the day. `Maybe I should see Ran-chan and ask him what his real feelings are. I… I don't want to hurt him… he's been through so much and I don't wanna lose his friendship. If I do this, it has to be tonight…'
 
The afternoon session soon starts and passes by very slowly. A rainstorm has started entering the area just as classes finish for the day. The warm sun is being replaced with clouds and a cold, damp wind. Ranma is the first one to complain about the weather as he stands next to Akane at the front entrance to the school…
 
“Just great… I don't have my umbrella with me…”
 
Akane takes one look at Ranma and takes a deep breath before speaking…
 
“Ranma… umm… we can share my umbrella…”
 
Ranma is momentarily stunned by this… it wasn't a bad thing that just happened… it was just… unusual. `Is it really unusual for her? Do I know her as well as I think I do?'
 
“Sure Akane, let's go…”
 
Ranma and Akane slowly make their way home, the storm suddenly picks up in intensity causing the rain to be blown into Ranma, changing him into his girl form.
 
“Now I'll have to take a bath just to change back. I don't remember hearing anything about this storm on the news…”
 
“Neither did I… but something told me to bring the umbrella with today…”
 
Ranma-chan nods and then decides to keep the small talk going as a way to pass time.
 
“Umm… how's your training going?”
 
“My training? Well, it's been tough… but I think I'm a bit stronger and faster then I was before… like when you and I fought to get the Dojo back from those two sisters…”
 
Ranma-chan thinks back on that incident and remembers how much Akane had improved in a short period of time. She didn't say too much about it at the time, but her improvement had made an impression on Ranma.
 
“Yeah… but this time you have three people to fight…”
 
Akane quickly responded in an optimistic tone. “But that doesn't mean that they'll all be fighting me at once…”
 
“Oh yeah…” Ranma said as he realized what she meant. Cooperation has never been a strong suit for Akane's opponents… especially Kodachi.
 
Ranma-chan and Akane soon approach the house and head inside. Soün and Genma are waiting inside…
 
“We're home!” Akane said as she took off her shoes.
 
“We've been waiting for you, Akane. Are you ready to get in some last minute training?” Soün asked his daughter. Akane responded immediately…
 
“Yeah! I wanna make sure I win tomorrow!”
 
With that, Akane runs upstairs to her room and changes into her gi. Genma and Soün decide to talk to Ranma-chan while they wait for her return…
 
“She certainly looks very happy and eager to train… and you came in under the same umbrella…” Genma said as he looked at Ranma-chan.
 
“Ummm… yeah… umm… she shared her umbrella with me…”
 
“Looks like you two are staring to get along a little better…” Genma then looks at Soün. “Right, Tendo?”
 
Soün nods his head and is about to say something when Kasumi comes walking down the stairs.
 
“Father, what would you like for dinner?” Kasumi then looks at Genma. “Any ideas, Mr. Saotome?”
 
“Well, umm…” Soün thinks about the question and tries to figure out what he has a taste on, Genma does the same thing.
 
“Since it's a big day for Akane tomorrow, I wanted to make something extra special tonight for dinner…” Kasumi said cheerfully.
 
“That's very thoughtful of you, Kasumi…” Soün said with a smile. Before Soün or Genma can make a dinner suggestion, however, Ranma-chan speaks up.
 
“How about you make some of Akane's favorite foods?” Ranma-chan said and then realized something important. `What are her favorite foods?'
 
“That's a great idea Ranma… why don't you help me make dinner and you can see firsthand what foods Akane likes…” Kasumi said as she looked at Ranma-chan and smiled.
 
“Umm… sure… but let me change outta these wet clothes first…” Ranma-chan said after a moments thought. `Looks like I'll find out what Akane likes…'
 
“I'll be in the kitchen…”
 
With that, Kasumi heads for the kitchen and starts to get ingredients out for the nights' dinner… Ranma-chan heads upstairs and changes, not even worrying about changing back to a male. Ranma-chan felt a slight twinge of excitement about this… and couldn't quite figure out why. Soün and Genma heard Akane come down the stairs a moment later and all three head over to the dojo to practice.
 
About two hours later, Ranma-chan steps into the dojo and announces that it's time for dinner. The three follow Ranma-chan back towards the house, Genma and Soün head inside while Akane and Ranma-chan stop for a moment. The sky grabs their attention- it has suddenly opened up, sending down warm sunlight towards the earth. “'Bout time that rain stopped…” Ranma-chan said as she stepped back into the house.
 
“You can say that again…” Akane said, noticing the blue sky.
 
Ranma-chan snickered at her. “'Bout time that rain stopped…”
 
Akane just rolls her eyes and is about to say something when Kasumi's voice is heard.
 
“Hurry up you two, your dinner is getting cold…”
 
Akane follows Ranma-chan inside and immediately her nose is overwhelmed by all of the delightful aromas wafting thru the air…
 
“This food smells so good!” Akane said, delighted by what she smelled and a few moments later, saw on the dinner table.
 
“It's about time the two love birds showed up…” Nabiki said, capitalizing on this opportunity to get a joke in.
 
Ranma-chan and Akane ignore Nabiki and sit down at the table. Genma starts wolfing down the food in front of him as everyone else has a sweat drop.
 
“What? It's good!” Genma said while still stuffing his face.
 
“Go on, Akane, have some…” Kasumi said while passing some food over to Akane.
 
Nabiki takes a few bites of the salad that's in front of her and makes a passing comment to Akane…
 
“At least there's no wooden chips in the salad…”
 
Akane glares at Nabiki and then remembers a promise she made to herself earlier not to get angry before the fight tomorrow. Her promise is tested yet again a moment later…
 
“You got that right…” Ranma-chan said in reply to Nabiki's comment.
 
“Rrrrrrannma!” Akane said as her battle aura started to form.
 
Soün notices the situation and decides to try and keep the peace…
 
“Good job on the salad, Kasumi”
 
“Ah, yes, it's very good, isn't it Tendo?” Genma said as he switched his attention to the untouched salad sitting in front of him.
 
Akane takes a look at the salad and takes a bite. “Mmm… this is good…”
 
Kasumi smiles and then nods her head. “But it wasn't me… Ranma made the salad”
 
Akane thinks to herself. `Ranma made this? It's pretty good… and he made all this food with Kasumi… for me. Wait a second… he spent the last few hours with Kasumi!'
 
Ranma looks at Akane and prepares for a verbal and/or a mallet assault as her battle aura once again becomes visible.
 
Nabiki sees yet another opportunity to tease her sister. “Lover's quarrel?”
 
“Umm…” Is about all Ranma-chan can manage to say.
 
`Breath in Akane… you promised yourself…'
 
Ranma-chan watches as Akane starts taking deep breaths in an effort to calm herself down. Ranma-chan decides to take a risk and say something…
 
“But Akane… don't you like it… Kasumi said they were your favorites…I just wanted to…”
 
Suddenly all eyes are on Ranma-chan as she tries to finish one sentence. Nabiki thinks to herself… `Hmm… this is definitely interesting. I wonder what Ranma is gonna say next…'
 
“Oh my! What a soap opera at the dinner table!” Kasumi said happily.
 
What's left of Akane's battle aura dissipates and she stares wide-eyed at Ranma-chan. Ranma had been much more open then usual today… and it has taken Akane by surprise.
 
“The boy just wanted to say how much he appreciates his fiancée fighting for him… right, Tendo?”
 
“Of course Saotome…”
 
Nabiki excuses herself from the table a moment later, she has plenty of work to do before tomorrow's battle- the betting pool for this fight was quite large. She also knows that Ranma and/or Akane might snap at their fathers. Things have been too quiet lately and things are about to get explosive- she doesn't want to be in the middle of it. Akane is still spaced out about all of the things that have been happening to her today… her attention is focused on Ranma and not on all of the things that Soun and Genma are saying.
 
Ranma-chan is also in a bind… this is a very uncomfortable situation. She doesn't know what to say or do… and she doesn't like -this- kind of attention.
 
“Hey stupid old man, quit puttin' words in my mouth!”
 
“Oh my worthless son… he doesn't know how to treat his fiancée… what a disappointment…”
 
Akane comes out of her stupor and inadvertently gets Ranma-chan out of the current fix that she's in…
 
“Thank you Ranma…” Akane said softly, it was the only thing she could say given the situation.
 
“Umm… no problem…” Ranma-chan said and then worked on what was left of her dinner. `That was different… Akane thanked me for something…'
 
Genma and Soun, seeing how well Akane and Ranma are getting along, decide to celebrate.
 
“Let's go get some sake… it looks like our children are getting along… and when Akane wins tomorrow- everything will be perfect!” Genma said as he put a hand on Soun's shoulder.
 
“Good idea…” Soun said as he stood up. Both him and Genma excitedly leave the room and seek out the nearest bottle of sake to “celebrate”
 
“Oh my… I think I should start clearing the table and start on the dishes…” Kasumi said as she started to collect the now empty dishes left behind by her sister and their fathers. About a minute later, the table is clear and the sound of Kasumi humming to herself in the kitchen can be heard.
 
Sitting there at the table, thinking about Akane... Ranma-chan tries to get some words out. “Akane I… I…” She cannot finish her sentence and finally says… “GoodlucktomorrowIhopeyouwin…” After saying that, Ranma-chan jumps to her feet and runs upstairs to the bathroom. Akane is still sitting at the table; deep in thought about the last words that she thought Ranma said- I hope you win. She thinks about it for a while, and then heads upstairs for a quick shower and some down time before bed.
 
Thoughts of the day's events fill her mind… they make her that much more certain about what she is fighting for and why. She falls asleep thinking about the days events and mumbles one word… “Ranma”
 
To be continued in Part 3: The Japanese Waterloo
 
Next chapter should be up more quickly- I have extensive notes and outlines for the next several chapters of this story.