Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Ranma Universe: Alpha and Omega ❯ Chapter 10: Ready.... 1... 2... FIGHT! ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 10: Ready.... 1... 2... FIGHT!
 
 
For those reading this story and the NGE one, there have been 2 new chapters (Chapter 37 and 38) added on the fanficsrus and mediaminer websites since I last updated this story, be sure and check my profile for links to those. Also on a personal note, I got a job with Piedmont Airlines and I will be moving out east to the Harrisburg, Pennsylvania area from Chicago in one week… I'm looking forward to the start of my career as an avionics technician. Thanks also goes out to datexn for his help, especially with the latter half of this chapter. Now, onto the story!
 
 
 
 
Thursday morning
 
 
The week moves on and the students in Ranma's class work on their class projects… which are due on Friday. Ukyo takes sometime at home and at the library to finish up her project while elsewhere in Nerima, Mousse is preparing for the inevitable conflict with Shampoo.
 
 
`How can I beat her when she's being trained by the old ghoul? I need something really radical and unexpected to win…'
 
To aid his thinking, Mousse makes himself a snack and sits down at a nearby table. He contemplates what to do while he eats…
 
`If I went to someone else for training… or came up with something on my own, that could help me win. Maybe I should go on some kind of training trip… those seemed to work for Ranma…'
 
 
His deadline for the fight ever approaching, the bespectacled Amazon mentally prepares a training program and gets right to work.
 
 
 
The next day is the dreaded Friday, at least for the students at Furinkan High School in Ranma and Akane's class. After taking morning roll, the teacher wastes no time and begins to call out students to present their Geography projects. Ukyo nervously awaits her turn…
 
`Just keep calm… maybe I should pretend like I'm giving a presentation on cooking… yeah… pretend like I'm talking about my favorite subject…'
 
 
Nearby, Akane and Ranma look over their notes while the other students talk. Akane is very confident about the grade that she'll get- with all of the time that she and Ranma put into this school project, there's no way she'll get anything less then an `A' grade.
 
Ranma takes a few deep breaths and thinks about the task ahead. `Akane took all of that time to teach me how ta give a presentation… I'm gonna be taking the lead here so it's gotta be good… I don't wanna drag her grades down and I… I wanna do good…'
 
 
For one of the first times in his life, Ranma realizes something. `I actually wanna do good in this school thing… maybe it's for Akane… or maybe it's more. She'll actually helping me out and not yelling at me and calling me stupid when it comes to this stuff…'
 
 
“Now it's time for Ranma and Akane's presentation, so would you two please come up to the front of the class…”
 
 
The moment had arrived. Taking a quick glance at Akane, Ranma nods his head and prepares for the challenge ahead. `Here goes nothin'…”
 
Akane stands up and walks to the front center of the room carrying the notes for their project. A somewhat nervous Ranma gets up and is soon standing next to her.
 
“Our project is about the island nation of Sao Tome and Principe…”
 
 
The class starts mumbling to themselves. “There ain't a country with that name, come on, Ranma- be serious…”
 
Akane steps forward one step and looks at the class. “It's a real place…” She opens up her book to the “Africa” section and points at the west coast, near the equator. “See for yourself…”
 
 
Not being sure herself, a curious Hinako takes a closer look at the page and announces. “Yes, it's real… so let them do their presentation…”
 
In her seat, Ukyo breathes a sigh of relief. `I'm glad they weren't kidding around… this is for a major grade…'
 
 
“So, like I was saying… our project is about Sao Tome and Principe, which is an island country in Africa…”
 
 
Ranma and Akane give their presentation and much to their surprise, receive a round of applause after the whole presentation is done. Even the teacher is impressed- `That's not what I was expecting from Ranma… Akane, yes… but it seems like he's turned around a little bit with his attitude towards school…'
 
 
“Good job… now who wants to go next?”
 
Ukyo raise her hand after Ms. Hinako's statement. “I'll go…”
 
“Good. Next up will be Ukyo Saotome…”
 
 
The presentation that Ukyo gives goes very smoothly and the added touches about local cuisine only help to bring out her report about China…
 
Finishing off her report, she begins to state- “I know it's not as exotic as the last report, but…”
 
Commending the hard work that she just witnessed, the “No, you did a great job… I like the culinary touches… I was hoping that you'd work that in somehow, since you are a cook…”
 
“That's true…” Ukyo says happily. “Thank you for your attention…”
 
 
Taking a slight bow, Ukyo gathers her papers and heads back to her seat. Ranma looks over his shoulder and gives her a nod of approval.
 
`Ranma… thank you…'
 
 
 
While the class continues to make their presentations, over in Nabiki's class, a proposal is being discussed…
 
“Since you're the senior class, the school wants some kind of fundraiser… so I was thinking that we could do a play…”
Several “sure” or “sounds good” responses are heard by the class. One hand goes up and asks a very important question.
 
“Which play?”
 
Scratching his head, the teacher thinks about it for a moment and then decides to leave it up to the class. `It'll make it more enjoyable for them if they pick out something they like…'
 
“I'm open to ideas… but how about something classic? We've had a lot of Japanese plays at the school recently, so how about something European?”
 
 
Small groups of discussion break out as the students scour their minds for a good idea…
 
“Merchant of Venice, tis a good play…” Is the suggestion from Kuno a few minutes later.
 
Liking that thought, a smile forms on the teachers face. “That sounds good… I don't know if that's ever been shown here before… I'm not that familiar with it, though… could you describe the plot for us?”
 
“I would be most happy to…”
 
 
As Kuno talks about the play, Nabiki writes down a few notes and ideas about new business ventures… but suddenly her attention is drawn to what he's saying…
 
“Tis about love and betrayal… and money plays a large role in the plot of the story…”
 
Diverting her attention a little, Nabiki listens in more closely as Kuno continues talking about the play. `Money, huh? That sounds interesting…'
 
 
After finishing a brief synopsis of the play, the teacher takes a vote… and it's a majority “yes” for the play… and Kuno for the lead.
 
“I will need a female for a lead role as well…”
 
 
Nabiki is shocked to see several hands go up and the word “Pick me” is heard several times. `Maybe… maybe this new Kuno isn't so bad… the girls never wanted to work with him before… I guess I'm not the only one to notice a difference…'
 
 
Shrugging his shoulders, Kuno sighs. “Alas, I am overwhelmed here… `t would not be fair for me to pick…”
 
“Maybe a contest…” A female student yells out. “To see who gets the lead role...”
 
 
Picking up on that suggestion, the teacher agrees. “That sounds good… we'll have a contest, to make it more fair…”
 
Kuno considers the idea and agrees with it. “That sounds amicable… but what kind of contest?”
 
It's a male student that speaks up next. “Wet T-shirt contest!”
 
“PERVERT!” Is heard by the enraged females, who turn and give a death stare to the perpetrator.
 
“Let's be serious here… no wet T-shirt contests…” Is the response back from the teacher, trying to bring some order back to the class.
 
“Swimsuit competition!”
 
“Serious ideas, please…” The teacher warns sternly, not wanting a fight in the classroom.
 
Several ideas are yelled out, but one breaks through the fog. “A photo contest… Kuno has to decide, of course, which one is the best…”
 
Seeing the sense in the idea, Tatewaki agrees but adds a few thoughts of his own. “A few words or two as well, explaining why the fair maiden would like the role…”
 
“You heard him… we'll run submissions until next Wednesday and then he'll pick the winner in class…”
 
 
Taking a slight bow, Kuno signals that he agrees. `Tis will be the fairest way… I had no idea that so many females were interested in acting with me…'
 
“Now that that's settled, let's get back to our work for the day. Turn to page…”
 
 
 
The school day continues and soon runs its course. Akane and Ranma gather their things and get ready to leave when Ranma's pulled aside by Ms. Hinako…
 
“I need to talk with you for a few minutes, Mr. Saotome…”
 
Protesting, Ranma replies back- “But what for? I did that report… and I think I did a good job…”
 
“You did… but… there's something else I have to talk with you about…”
 
“Oh…”
 
 
Taking a look at Akane and Ukyo, who are waiting for the conversation to end, a sighing teacher addresses the pair.
 
“I'll need to talk privately with Ranma here for a few minutes… could you meet him outside please?”
 
 
Silently, the two women follow the orders given and head outside to the school gate and patiently wait for Ranma.
 
“What do you think happened, Akane?”
 
“No idea, Ukyo. It wasn't the report… so I wonder what it could be?”
 
“I hope Ran-chan didn't get into any trouble…” Ukyo says with a long sigh.
 
“That can't be…”
 
“Why's that?”
 
“Because he's been working with me the last few days on that report… we worked on it at the library, in my room…”
 
A grin forms on Ukyo's face after hearing that. “Your room, huh? Sounds rather… intimate…”
 
Blushing, Akane stammers back a reply. “It's not like that!”
 
Nudging her friend, Ukyo continues her friendly teasing. “Oh come on, Akane… I'm just kidding…”
 
“You've got a funny way of showing it…”
 
“Well, things are different now… I actually feel better about myself after that fight… more responsible.”
 
Akane nods her head in agreement. “Still, you have to cut back on the jokes… you're getting to be like my sister…”
 
 
“Did someone call me?” A voice calls from the distance.
 
Two words pass through Akane's mind- `Oh no…'
 
 
“It's nice to see you two talking without mortal combat…”
 
“Hmmph… that was the past.” Akane says while folding her arms in front of her chest. “I'm doing my best to be nice to Ukyo… so don't start anything…”
 
“Calm down little sis… it was just a joke. Where's your other half?”
 
“Ms. Hinako is talking to him about something… I have a bad feeling…” Akane says with some trepidation.
 
“Well, he's been with you all this week, so I don't see how he could've gotten in trouble…” Nabiki says with a wink.
 
Akane starts blushing again and Ukyo says simply- “I was thinking the same thing…”
 
“I see… maybe we should talk further. Anyways, I have to be going. I need to look for some nice pictures of me…”
 
Hearing that unusual line from Nabiki gets Akane curious immediately. “What for?”
 
“Oh, we're putting on some play and it has to deal with love, money, and betrayal… it's my kind of play… and believe it or not, Kuno is playing the lead… and several girls wanted the lead female role…”
 
“Okay… but I still don't get what the pictures are for…”
 
“Well… since so many girls wanted the role, there's a contest to see who gets it…”
 
“That makes sense…” Her mind churning with thought, Akane goes silent. `This is a perfect chance… to use those pictures… I'll have to set this up just right. You'll get the lead role… I don't think any sane male could resist some of those pictures…'
 
 
“See you two later…” Nabiki takes her leave and heads back home, all the while thinking about what kind of pictures to use… blissfully unaware that she has “help” coming from her younger sister. Ukyo and Akane continue to talk amongst themselves while back in the school, Ranma is still talking with Ms. Hinako.
 
“Look, I ain't being a delinquent anymore, okay?”
 
“That has nothing to do with this…” Is the quick reply back. “I'm well aware of your behavior, especially since you and Akane have been together after that fight. I think she's being a good influence on you… and vice versa…”
 
`Even the teachers are noticing that Akane has kinda mellowed out a bit…' Is the thought in Ranma's mind before hearing more from his teacher.
 
“You did good on that project today… I'm giving you both an `A' grade on it. Excellent work… but your grades overall are still not the best…”
 
Having an idea where this topic is going, Ranma words his next words carefully. “I know… but I'm workin' on it… Akane's been helpin' me out…”
 
“I see… but there's several issues that I've been made aware of. For one, your reading level is far below the average for this grade level… it's more on a middle school level… same thing goes for some of the other subjects as well…”
“Now just hold on a second here…” Ranma protests. “It ain't my fault that my idiot father didn't let me stay in school like a `normal' kid. I'm doing the best I can…”
 
Taking a moment to figure out what to say next, Ms. Hinako thinks about the situation. `I can see that it's not his fault… and he is trying to improve… but there's still one thing that he has to do, regardless…'
 
“There's something I need from you, no matter what the case is. Normally students have to take an entrance exam to get into this school… but it seems like there's no exam on file for you…”
 
Not remembering ever having taken an exam like that, Ranma has to agree. “Yeah, I don't think I took one of those…”
 
“The school is requiring that you take it by the end of next week. You have to pass to stay in your current grade level or you'll be sent back…”
 
“Damn… well I guess I got no choice… I'll take the test next Friday then, after class…”
 
For the first time in the conversation, Ms. Hinako drops the serious tone. “All right… Friday it is. You're dismissed…”
 
 
Feeling a little down, Ranma leaves the room. As he walks out to the entrance of the school, he begins thinking about what just happened. `It ain't my fault this stupid school didn't do this test… and saying I'm not where I should be wit' the reading and stuff… this school stuff is important and pops said it wasn't… damn him…'
 
 
“We've been waiting for you…” A worried Ukyo says while looking at her watch. “I've got to head back and open up for dinner… I just wanted to say `thanks' for the nod earlier. I'm glad you liked my presentation…”
 
That changes Ranma's mood a bit. “It was no problem… I liked it…”
 
“So do I…” Akane volunteers. “We've had some experience with China… especially Ranma here…”
 
“Too much `experience' if you ask me…” Is the sarcastic reply by Ranma.
 
“Well, I have to be going… I'll see you two later…”
 
 
Ranma and Akane watch Ukyo rush off to her restaurant… she's soon out of sight. Akane quietly asks what's going on…
 
“Let's start walkin' home… I'll tell yah on the way…”
 
“Okay…”
 
 
The pair head home on the familiar streets but don't get far before a certain alleyway comes into view…
 
`He hasn't said anything about what happened yet… and I wanted to congratulate him for doing a good job… time to get some answers…' The alley in sight, Akane grabs Ranma's hand and pulls him into the shadows.
 
“Akane, what are you…”
 
His question is answered a moment later by a deep and passionate kiss… and then another. Ranma's arms wrap around Akane and hold her body close to his… expressing his feelings about Akane is getting easier everyday…
 
“That was nice…” A blushing Ranma says after Akane ends the kiss.
 
A light red blush forms on Akane's face. “I just wanted to say `good job'. I just know we got an `A' on that project this morning…”
 
“We did… but that wasn't what she talked to me about…”
 
“What was it then?” Akane asks, really wanting to know.
 
Feeling a little embarrassed about admitting what was said to him earlier, Ranma pulls Akane into an intimate embrace.
 
“She said I was stupid… that I had the skills of a middle school student… and that I gotta take some test that I didn't take when I started school here…”
 
“Ranma… I don't know about the test thing but… I know, you're not stupid…” Akane says, giving Ranma a vote of confidence.
 
“The school thing ain't my best area…”
 
“Ranma, it's not your fault.” Akane rests her head against his chest. “You're trying… that's all that matters to me. I'll help you as much as I can…”
 
“Thanks, but I still feel kinda… yah know, dumb… I know that I haven't had much schooling… just martial arts training…”
 
“That's important… but you have to have balance… I think your father forgot about that along the way…” Akane says while mentally cursing Genma's parenting ability.
 
“Akane… thanks…”
 
Not wanting to leave this position, Akane asks for more time. “Let's enjoy this for a few more minutes before head back… when do you have to take that test?”
“Next Friday… and if I don't pass, I get sent back…”
 
“During the week, we'll study together. I think this weekend we need to relax and spend some time together… we're still going to those hot springs, right?” Is the hopeful question from the youngest Tendo daughter.
 
“Yeah… of course… I almost forgot about that…”
 
Teasing Ranma slightly, Akane brings up something that she was going to keep secret until later. “Good… I have a purple bikini that I haven't had a chance to wear yet…”
 
“Hmm… I can't wait…” A grinning Ranma says while looking down at the young woman in his arms. “I can't wait for tonight then…”
 
“Neither can I…”
 
 
Ranma slowly releases Akane and then after a brief kiss, they continue on their way home. She brings up the topic of the pictures to her companion… who agrees 100% with the idea.
 
“I think it's time we put those pictures to work… and maybe we can get her mind onto somethin' else… or someone else…”
 
 
Nabiki, having arrived home first, informs the household about Ranma's possible “trouble” before heading to her room to look for a picture of herself for this contest.
 
`I think finding the picture is the hardest part… I know why I should be in the lead… it's perfect for me. Money matters are my forte…'
 
 
When the young couple walks into the house about twenty minutes later, Genma and Nodoka are waiting in the front room for them.
 
“What's this, boy… we just heard you got into some kind of trouble in school today…”
 
“Gee thanks Nabiki…” Ranma mutters under his breath.
 
“It ain't my fault… the stupid school was supposed to test me when I started and they didn't… so now I have to take some dumb test or go back in grade level…”
 
“There's something else… I can feel it…” Nodoka says while looking at her son. “What's bothering you?”
 
Akane is about to say something to help Ranma's case when he lets loose.
 
“I'm doing good in school now and it don't matter… the only reason why I'm doing decent in school is `cause Akane's helping me catch up on what I missed…” Shooting a glare at Genma, an enraged Ranma continues. “You told me school wasn't that important… and I think that's wrong…”
 
Nodoka looks at her husband and begins get angry. “Is this true?”
 
Genma slowly backs away and defensively waves his hands. “Now, now, dear… I still sent him to school…”
 
“It wasn't all the time… you put the art way ahead of schooling…”
 
“That's not what I wanted… I wanted a balanced education for my son.” Nodoka grabs Genma by the ear and drags him out of the room.
 
“I knew that was going to happen…” Akane says in a whisper to Ranma, who nods his head in agreement.
 
 
Soun, who had been listening in from the other room, walks into the main room and addresses his daughter and Ranma. “I don't think those two will be back for a while…”
 
“No, they won't…” Ranma says, knowing full well what was happening to his father.
 
“Father, Ranma's trying to do good in school and I'd hate to see him be forced back… so I've agreed to help him study for his test.”
 
Beaming with pride at her idea and knowing that the more time the two spend together, the better it'll be for their relationship, Soun simply says- “Good idea… you've always been a good student and I'm sure Ranma will do just fine…”
 
“I think so too… I like studyin' with Akane…”
 
“Weren't you two supposed to go somewhere today? I remember Nodoka mentioned something about a trip…”
 
“Yeah, we're supposed to go to some hot spring… my mom picked up some tickets…” Ranma says, remembering more of the detail about the plan.
 
“Let's see… I think she left them over in the kitchen. Kasumi is making a snack for you to eat on the train ride up… so you'd better get ready. I'll check and see when the train leaves…”
 
 
In another room an eavesdropper has been listening in on the conversations going on in the front room ever since Ranma and Akane got home. “Hmm… a trip to a hot spring… and those two are going alone… could be interesting…”
 
 
The pair rush upstairs and start packing their clothes. A sense of excitement is present in both teens… the chance to have some privacy and get some more quality time with each other doesn't come up very often.
 
 
Hearing a lot of activity in the room next to her, Nabiki steps out to investigate. She watches as a whistling Akane happily starts packing her backpack with clothes and other necessities.
 
“So you're finally going to wear the purple one? It's about time…”
 
Turning her head, Akane packs said bikini and stops whistling. “What do you want?”
 
“I heard you packing over here and I was wondering… where are you going? Are you and Ranma eloping or something?” Nabiki says with a wink, causing Akane to blush, just like Nabiki knew she would.
 
“Nooo… we're going to a hot spring… Ranma's giving me swimming lessons…”
 
“Oooh… sounds romantic. Is that what they're calling it these days? `Swimming lessons'?”
 
“You're really a pervert, you know that?”
 
Feeling a little offended, Nabiki decides to strike back. “I'm not the one going with Ranma… ALONE… to a hot spring… to get private lessons…”
 
Having enough of her sisters' teasing, Akane feels her newly found restraints loosening. “Ranma's not like that! And neither am I!”
 
Backing off a little, Nabiki concedes the point. “Okay, okay… I believe you…”
 
“I'm going to get you back one day Nabiki…”
 
“You can try… but I'm pretty sharp.”
 
Knowing that she has an ace up her sleeve, Akane decides not to reveal what she plans on doing next week but instead misleads her sister a little…
 
“One day, I'll find something and then… and then I'll be the one doing the teasing…”
 
Dropping the point, Nabiki makes a statement. “Maybe… but I think you've got more important things to worry about…”
 
“Well, yeah… there's school, and Ranma, and this whole swimming thing… I really can't swim at all…”
 
“You forgot something else that's important…” Nabiki says, preparing to take her leave.
 
“Which is?”
 
“You bought that bikini six months ago. Are you sure it's going to fit?”
 
That was the last straw for Akane. “GET OUT!”
 
“What? I didn't mean that in a bad way, geez. Be glad that you're finally getting some boo…”
 
 
A pillow to the face silences Nabiki. After it falls to the floor, the middle Tendo walks away, leaving a fuming Akane alone in the room. `Damn her… but Ranma and I will get her back soon… who knows, maybe she'll take a liking to this `new' Kuno. Something is really different about him lately. She may have a point about the suit, though… I guess I'll have to wait and see…'
 
 
Stooping down, Ranma picks up the pillow on the floor at the entrance to Akane's room. “What's this pillow doing here?”
 
“I threw it at Nabiki… she was over here teasing me while I was trying to pack…” Akane resumes packing the last of clothes while Ranma walks into the room. He places the pillow back down on her bed and then has a seat…
 
“Don't let it get to yah… we've got certain things… she'll get hers soon…” Ranma says softly, in case Nabiki was listening in from her room.
 
“I know…”
 
Putting the finishing touches on her packing, Akane zips the bag shut. “I'm done…”
 
“So am I… just gotta get my bag from my room…”
 
“I'll meet you downstairs then…”
 
 
While Akane and Ranma are heading downstairs with their backpacks, another member of the household was also packing a small bag. `This shouldn't take too long, so I don't need much…'
 
 
Soun gives his daughter a hug. “Have a good time… and don't do anything foolish, okay?”
 
Akane blushes. “Father!”
 
“I'm sure Akane and Ranma will be acting… proper…” Kasumi says, hoping that her little sister won't rush things with Ranma.
 
“We'll be fine…” Ranma says, stepping up to defend both of them. “I know if pops was here he'd be sayin' somethin' different to me… and we all know what my mom would be asking me to do…”
 
“True…” Soun concedes. He lowers his voice to a near whisper and then says jokingly- “Get out of here while you still can…”
 
“Will do…” Ranma says while taking the first steps towards the front door. Akane follows right behind him.
 
 
“There they go… I hope they'll have a good time…”
 
“I wouldn't worry too much… they've learned how to be more civil with each other and express what they truly feel for each other. I think they need time alone to work things out…” Kasumi says back in return to her father.
 
“That could be… the best way… but we'll wait and see what happens in the next few weeks. There's a lot facing those two…”
 
Kasumi smiles. “Challenge is what they both thrive on… I think they'll do just fine.”
 
 
Continuing their conversation, Kasumi and Soun fail to see a figure exit the house and head the same direction that Ranma and Akane just went.
 
 
Over at Ukyo's restaurant, U-chan's, things are quite busy. The regular customers are surprised to see a new face waiting tables in the restaurant.
 
`At least he can't get lost in my small restaurant… and I can focus on making the food…' Ukyo thinks while flipping some Okonomiyaki.
 
“Two more specials!” Ryoga calls out before returning to the main table. He grabs the plate and brings it to the far table in the back of the restaurant.
 
“Thank you sir…” The old man takes his plate from the Lost Boy. “You must be new here…”
 
“Yes… I'm helping repay a debt I owe to Ukyo…”
 
Handing a few bills to Ryoga, the old man says simply- “Keep the change… that should help with your debt…”
 
Not knowing what to say in return for this sudden act of kindness by a stranger, Ryoga can only manage a soft “Thank you”.
 
 
Out of the corner of her eye, Ukyo notices Ryoga in conversation with one of her customers. `It looks like he's really hitting it off with the customers… this was a good idea…'
 
“Ryoga, the specials are up!” Ukyo calls across the room.
 
“Be right there!” Is the reply back. Excusing himself from the conversation, Ryoga rushes over to the counter and makes a delivery to a different table. `I don't know how she does this every night and cook at the same time…'
 
 
The dinner rush continues as the train with Akane and Ranma continues on its journey north…
 
“How far away is this place?” Akane asks while looking out the window at the setting sun.
 
“Well, let's see what the directions say… hmm…” After a quick glance at the directions, Ranma realizes something. “A couple more hours… we're going to the springs near the bridge to Hokkaido…”
 
“What?” Akane cannot believe what she just heard. “That's so far away!”
 
“Well, we're on the express trains… or it'd be a lot longer…”
 
“The note says that is a secluded, private area and it's great for couples… I would expect no less from somethin' mom planned out for us…”
 
“It is free… and it's nice to get away… so I guess I'll manage…” Akane says with a sigh. “It'll be pretty late by the time we get there…”
 
Opening up the brochure contained in the travel envelope, Ranma begins scanning the information on it. “According to the brochure, the hot springs are always open, even at night.”
 
“I don't know if I'll be up for that… we'll see…” Leaning her body against Ranma, she lets out a soft yawn. “Maybe if I take a nap now we can do that…”
 
“Good idea… umm… a moonlight lesson… yeah…”
 
Feeling her eyes getting heavier, Akane manages to hear that last line before falling asleep. She softly mumbles the words- “Now that's romantic… you're learning…” before falling asleep.
 
 
After watching the sleeping Akane for several minutes, Ranma pulls a manga out of his backpack. Before opening it up, he takes another look at the front cover. `I swear it looks like Akane… with Kasumi's height… oh well… time for volume 2 of Maison Ikkou…'
 
 
While the train continues through the night, Ukyo starts closing down the restaurant.
 
“Good job, Ryoga… you handled the crowds and everyone was happy…”
 
“T-thanks…” A slightly blushing Ryoga says back.
 
“I'll let you take a shower first while I lock up for the night…”
 
“Okay…”
 
 
Taking his leave, Ryoga can swear that he hears whistling from behind him. `She must be happy… I guess I did good…'
 
 
About twenty minutes later, Ukyo finishes her clean up of the restaurant and locks the front door. Turning off the light, she heads upstairs and is shocked at the sight in front of her when she enters the bedroom…
 
`He's in my futon! Is he lost? Or did he do that on purpose?'
 
 
Unbeknownst to Ukyo, it was a combination of both. After taking a shower, Ryoga couldn't find the futon he was using… so he just went to sleep in the one already laid out.
 
`I swear… he didn't get lost downstairs but he got lost up here… oh well… time for a shower and then I'll deal with the problem…'
 
 
Grabbing her night robe and a change of underwear, the newest Saotome heads into the bathroom and takes a long, well deserved shower after a long days work…
 
`That hot water… feels good… my muscles were getting tense…'
 
 
Wiping the steam off of her mirror, Ukyo looks at her expression in it. `It's me alright… Ukyo Saotome… it's been the better part of a week since I got my new name… but tomorrow has its own challenges. I hate to see someone get hurt, but he has to apologize for what he did- I don't feel right having him here without showing some remorse for what's he done…'
 
 
After getting dressed, Ukyo finds a restless Ryoga rolling around under the futon. `Is he having a nightmare?'
 
Gently shaking the Lost Boy, the concerned young woman tries to wake him up. “Ryoga… wake up… wake up…”
 
“Huh? Oh, it's you…” Ryoga says while rubbing his eyes.
 
“You were having a nightmare, I think… I just saw you rolling around the futon.”
 
“Maybe I was… I just don't remember.”
 
“Anyways… you know that's my futon…”
 
“I'm sorry… I was looking for the other one and I couldn't find it.”
 
“Well, I put it in the wash and now it's air drying outside…” After remembering that, Ukyo feels sorry for bringing this up. “I guess you'd have to use this one… that was my only spare…”
 
Nervously, Ryoga asks to stay. “Umm… I guess so. You don't mind, umm… sharing with me, do you?”
 
“Well… you did help me out today… and you're going to apologize tomorrow… so… I…” A blush creeps over Ukyo's face. “I guess you could… but no funny stuff…”
 
“Of course not…” Is the reply from the now beet-red Ryoga, who hadn't thought of doing such things with her until hearing that line.
 
“I'm glad we agree…” Ukyo says as crawls under the futon. Turning her back to Ryoga she attempts to get comfortable. Ryoga does the same thing and two are now back to back under the covers.
 
“You know… I actually like this… you're umm… quite warm…”
 
“T-thanks…” Is the reply back from the brunette, who tries to suppress the full blush on her face. `Is he flirting with me… or does he mean that? I'm so confused… I guess I'm not the best when it comes to expressing my feelings on matters like this. Still… it feels good to get compliments…'
 
“Good night Ryoga… don't forget what you have to do tomorrow…”
 
“I know… good night Ukyo…”
 
 
Despite what was just said, neither one falls asleep right away… but both have to admit to themselves that it feels better then being alone…
 
 
A few hours later, a lone train pulls up into a dimly lit terminal. The conductor gets on the PA system and makes an announcement.
 
“End of the line… everybody off, please…”
 
Upon hearing that, Ranma puts the manga away and gently nudges Akane.
 
“Wake up… we're here…”
 
Rubbing her eyes, only one thought comes to mind. “All ready?”
 
Ranma chuckles. “You've been asleep for over two hours…”
“Oh…”
 
 
The last remaining passengers in the train make their way off and head for nearby shuttle buses. Ranma looks at the directions and then takes the lead…
 
“I guess everyone is going to that resort… well, all the people that are left…”
 
About a half dozen people get on the bus before the pair from Nerima get there. Ranma pulls out the tickets and hands them to the driver.
 
“You're the last ones… so we're ready to go. Have a seat wherever you like… the drive to the resort won't take long…”
 
 
Akane points to a seat in the middle of the bus and the two quickly sit down and fasten their seat belts. Soon, the bus is underway and making tracks for the resort up the winding, mountain road…
 
“It's so… peaceful out here. You can see the stars, too…” Akane observes while looking out of the window.
 
“Yeah… we can't see too many of them in our area back home…” Ranma adds.
 
A short while later, the bus arrives at the resort and the passengers shuffle off of the bus. Ranma takes the envelope out as the pair arrive inside the lobby.
 
“Reservation for Saotome…”
 
“Let's see… that's room number four. Here's your key… it's the last room on the right. Be sure and enjoy your stay.” The bellhop hands Ranma the key and then helps the next person in line.
 
“Looks pretty fancy…” Akane whispers to Ranma. “Where does your mom keep coming with all of this money?”
 
“Hell if I know…”
 
 
Walking down the hallway, the two quickly arrive at the room. Ranma slides the door open and says “after you.”
 
Impressed by his manners, Akane smiles. “Thank you, Ranma…”
 
Upon getting a good look at the room, both teens gasp in awe.
 
“This is pretty nice… and cozy. I have ta agree with yah… and ask that same question- where is she getting all of this money?”
 
Putting her backpack down next to the large futon, Akane comments on the room. “There's a privacy screen and a bathroom… so we can both change at the same time.”
 
“So you're up for some swimming?”
 
“Yes…”
 
Ranma grins. “Good… but I just noticed somethin'… there's only one futon…”
 
Blushing, Akane cannot help but acknowledge that fact. “I guess there is… I think we can umm… handle it.”
 
“As long as Nabiki don't show up or my mom…” Ranma says jokingly.
 
A playful elbow to the ribs is the reply from a somewhat miffed Akane. “Don't joke like that!”
 
“Anyways… let's get changed… and go for a moonlight swim… and just relax…”
 
“Good idea…”
 
 
Ranma takes off his backpack and gets out his swimming trunks. “I'll take the bathroom so you can change here… let me know when you're done…”
 
“Okay…”
 
Akane watches Ranma walk into the bathroom and close the door behind him before taking out her purple bikini. `I hope Nabiki was kidding…' She walks behind the screen, just in case Ranma was feeling a little perverted… `Or am I the one who's perverted, for thinking that he'd do that?'
 
 
A full-length mirror hands on the bamboo wall behind the screen, enabling Akane to quickly change and steal a few looks at herself in the mirror.
 
“Not bad… but Nabiki was right.” A soft sigh escapes Akane's lips. “My hips are about the same… but I'm a bit bigger up top. It still fits, though…”
 
Clearing her throat, Akane then calls out to Ranma. “Hey, I'm finished.”
 
The bathroom door slowly opens and Ranma looks back and forth before opening it all of the way. “Just making sure… I don't want yah to think I was peepin' or somethin'…”
 
 
Stepping out from behind the screen, a slightly nervous Akane commits herself to her fate…
 
“Swimming lessons here I come…”
 
 
Despite the distraction that Akane's slightly small bikini is providing, the martial artist does his best to focus on the task at hand, teaching her how to swim.
 
“I'll get two towels from my pack and we'll get started…”
 
“Umm… Ranma… where are the hot springs at?” She asks, not knowing where they're going.
 
“Oh, I know where ta go…” He throws her a towel, which she wraps around her body. “Follow me…”
 
 
As the pair walk from the room through the lobby to the other side of the hotel, where the hot springs are, the bellhop gives Ranma a “thumbs-up”, causing some embarrassment to the martial artist…
 
`He probably thinks I'm about ta do somethin' else with her… but all I'm doing is giving her some swimming lessons…'
 
 
Heading down the long hallway, the corridor branches into several side passages, each one having a wooden sign in front of them saying “In Use”. The pair keep walking until near the end, where they find one that's not being used at the moment.
 
“Don't forget to flip the sign…” Akane points out as they make a left turn into the corridor.
 
“I got it…” A quick flick of his finger on the spinning board changes it from “Not in Use” to “In Use”.
 
This new corridor seems to go on forever, over 100 meters pass before the teens exit the building into the outside… a sign on the side provides more information.
 
“Let's see… private hot spring… four hundred meters…” Akane looks at Ranma. “I guess they really space these out… for privacy reasons…”
 
Not wanting to think about why that'd be, Ranma diverts the conversation to something else. “At least we're almost there…”
 
 
A few small hills later, the path emerges from the bamboo forest that had lined the path to an area filled with many different colored flowers. A circular structure is in the middle… steam can be seen heading out from the center… illuminated by the near full moon in the night sky.
 
 
“Well, we're here…” Ranma looks at Akane. “Are yah ready?”
 
“About as ready as I'll ever be…”
 
“It ain't that hard… I think I already know what the problem is…”
 
“Okay… I'm sure we can umm… figure this out. At least I don't have to worry about drowning here…”
 
“Of course not, I got yah covered, tomboy. I think this'll be fun…”
 
“If you say so…”
 
 
Taking the first steps forward, Akane heads to the door and opens it up. “It's beautiful…”
 
Stepping inside behind her, Ranma takes a look at the hot spring pool and the surroundings. “Whoever made this… did a nice job wit' the landscaping and such…”
 
He places his towel well off to the side so it doesn't get wet. Akane takes off her towel and hands it to Ranma, who places it on top of his.
 
“It's pretty nice…” Akane says as she dips her foot in the water. “Let's relax for a few minutes before we get started…”
 
Trying to be encouraging, Ranma does his best to get her ready. “Okay… I want yah to loosen up… and not think about what we're gonna be doing. Don't be nervous…”
 
“I'll try not to be…” Is the reply back as she slides into the water. “Mmm… that feels nice…”
 
 
Sitting on the other side of the pool, just a short distance away, Ranma relaxes his tired muscles. `It's been a long day… I stayed awake on the train… she didn't. I think I'll start with floating… you have to know how to do that… before anything else…'
 
 
Looking across the pool, Akane says with some trepidation- “I'm ready…”
 
“Good…” Ranma walks over to the center, where the water is a bit deeper. It rises to his shoulders… but Akane's almost totally underwater by the time she gets to the same place.
 
“Ranma… grab me…”
 
Reaching forward, Ranma grabs his fiancée and pulls her to him. “I got yah…”
 
“That drops off a lot once you walk away from the edge…” She says while holding onto his shoulders.
 
“I'm kinda glad it's like this… makes it easy to do our first lesson…”
 
“And that is?”
 
“Floating… yah have to learn how to float… so if you get tired, you won't drown.”
 
 
Knowing that this one of her worst skills, the youngest Tendo thinks about what he just said. `That's true… but I can't float… I sink like a brick…'
 
Figuring it'd be best to get this lesson started, before Akane chickens out, Ranma turns his head to look at Akane. “Let go… and lie on your back. I'll hold you up…”
 
“Umm… okay…”
 
 
Slowly, Akane does as she's told… each finger is released, one by one… until she's free. Taking deep breaths, she lies on her back and tries to relax.
 
Seeing that she's figuring it out already, on her own, Ranma smiles. “Good… that's the main thing… don't panic. Panicking will make you drown…”
 
“Oh…” Feeling her body dip a little, Akane is about to call out when she feels Ranma's hands supporting her back.
 
“Don't think about it… just float. A little water is gonna get in your ears… so expect that. Relax those muscles and take slow, deep breaths…”
 
`Slow… deep breaths…' The thought resonates in the young woman's mind. `I can do this… it's working!'
 
 
After a few minutes, Ranma slowly releases his hands and allows Akane to “free float” around the pool. `She hasn't even noticed that I've let go…'
 
“Good job, tomboy… I think you're ready for more…”
 
Not believing him, she responds back with- “Baka… I just started floating…”
 
“But you're floating on your own now… I'm not holdin' yah…”
 
That surprises Akane and makes her excited. “I am?”
 
“Yeah… good job, Akane…”
 
“T-thanks…”
 
 
Wanting to test her some more, Ranma decides to segue into the next lesson. “Gently kick your legs and comes towards me… keep on floatin'…”
 
“Okay… here I come…”
 
A few seconds later, Akane's legs start gently kicking the water and she moves across the pool…
 
“Just a little more… and stop. You can stand up here…”
 
“Whew…” Getting on her feet again, the youngest Tendo breaths a sigh of relief.
 
“I'm gonna hold yah so you can practice kicking and reaching… after we take a short break. I don't wanna rush yah…”
 
“Okay…”
 
 
And so the lessons continue into the night… Ranma realizes that when Akane focuses on the task at hand, she picks up the skill very quickly. `Either she had a fear of water… somethin' happened to her when she was young… or someone taught her the wrong way.'
 
 
Stifling a yawn, Ranma feels ready to call it a night. “You got the basics down now… let's test your swimming form for a minute and call it a night. I'm getting tired…”
 
“One minute of practice… make sure you keep holding me…”
 
Ranma makes sure that his arms are securely wrapped around her stomach and then tells her to start. Her legs start kicking… her arms start reaching forward, and her head starts turning back and forth, in imitation of a real swimmer.
 
Looking forward, he can see that progress is being made- her form is almost on target. “Keep it up… forty five seconds…”
 
A look at her legs, though, proves to be a little distracting. `She's got some strong legs… and a nice butt… she looks really nice in this two piece…'
 
 
Seeing Akane involved in her practice… and Ranma distracted, a shadowy figure prepares to strike… `I've got `em now…'
 
 
Author Note: This next part is based on a picture from deviantart, here's a link to it. Credit goes to Lori Finnigan for inspiring the events of the middle of this chapter.
 
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/11710776/?qo=137&q= by%3Airishgirl982&qh=sort%3Atime+-in%3Ascraps
 
That's a link to the picture in question, link is used with permission from the artist. Be sure and take a look… so you can physically see this next scene for yourself.
 
 
Failing to notice what just happened, Ranma continues to mentally count down the seconds…
 
`Five… four… three… two… one…'
 
“Okay, that's enough…”
 
Feeling Akane suddenly lurch forward, Ranma wonders what's going on. “Hey, I almost let go of yah…”
 
Barely containing her anger at what just happened, Akane resists the urge to jump out and attack. “Grr… Ranma… look forward and up… don't look at me…”
 
 
Doing as he's told, Ranma sees a shadow of a person… who steps into the light. Akane moves her arms to cover her breasts just before a voice calls out from the rocks above.
 
“Looking good there, Akane. I see Ranma's teaching you well…”
 
“What the hell are you doing here?” Ranma cries out while Akane shakes a fist at the old man in anger.
 
Happosai grins. “Oh, I was just out for a stroll… and I decided to see how my two favorite students are doing, that's all…”
 
“Right… you just happened to be ALL the way out here…” Akane says, knowing full well that he followed them out here.
 
“I'll have you know that I was coming out here long before this resort was here…” Is the reply back. “Young people these days… won't even trust their elders…”
 
“Give me my top back!”
 
Deciding to test his former student(s), Happosai sets out some conditions. “Not until I ask you two a few questions first…”
 
“Okay, let's get this over with…” An impatient Ranma says, not wanting to deal with Happy or an irate Akane for any longer then he has to.
 
“I'm glad you see it my way… now, Akane… have you been open with my boy Ranma here? You promised that you would be…”
 
Taken aback for a moment by this unusual question from Happy, Akane slowly replies. “Yes… I've been open with Ranma…”
 
“And you, Ranma… are you being less stubborn? Are you talking with Akane a lot?”
 
Ranma nods and then answers. “Of course… and yeah… we talk all the time… I like talking with her…”
 
“Excellent. I see that I've set you two on the right path… so don't blow it!” He tosses the purple bikini top down and it lands in the water right in front of Akane. “You two have fun now… I've got other things to attend to…”
 
 
Stepping back into the shadows, Happosai disappears. `It seems like they're doing fine… but things still come up… those two haven't had a real test yet. Time to go take a soak… there's hot springs around here that these developers still haven't found…'
 
 
 
Breathing a sigh of relief, Ranma gently lets go of Akane, allowing her to stand on her own. “I'm glad he's gone…”
 
“Me too…” She says while turning her back to Ranma. Quickly, she puts her top back on and reaches behind her to fasten it when her hands run into something.
 
“I got it…” A blushing Ranma says while placing the two hooks back into place. “How's that?”
A few slight adjustments and it's back into place… Akane can't believe that Ranma would do something like that without being asked. `He's getting… bolder. I know it's only a swimsuit top but… it's the first time he's helped me like this…'
 
“It's fine… thanks…”
 
“Let's go ta bed…”
 
Stifling a yawn, Akane walks towards the edge of the pool and then steps out. Ranma follows suit and the two dry off with their respective towels…
 
“That was good for our first lesson…”
 
“Yeah… I didn't think that I'd do that good…” Akane admits out loud.
 
“Tomorrow we can practice some more…”
 
“Okay… but I also want to try something with you, after breakfast. I got a wonderful gift and I want to show it to you…”
 
That comment gets Ranma curious. `I wonder what she means by that? I guess I'll see tomorrow…'
 
“Right… tomorrow…” A slow yawn comes from Ranma… and then Akane, who promptly make their way back to the room. A few minutes later, both are changed and ready for bed.
 
“Umm… you first…” Ranma says while raising the blanket and trying not to stare at her yellow pajamas. `This is making me nervous… I've never slept next to her like this before… and she looks really cute in those pajamas…'
 
“O-okay…” The youngest Tendo daughter was just as nervous about this idea but after a moments' hesitation, gets under the covers and tries to make herself comfortable…
 
“M-my turn…”
 
Akane's eyes lock onto Ranma and watch the martial artist as he slips under the large blanket and adjusts his position…
 
“Okay… well… umm… good night…”
 
 
Ranma tries to focus on sleeping and is nearly unconscious when he feels Akane's hand slip into his…
 
“Good night Ranma… thank you…”
 
“No problem…”
 
 
The two nervous teenagers finally fall asleep, the days' activities draining them both physically and mentally. The night passes and soon the new day dawns…
 
 
 
Saturday
 
 
 
Back in Nerima, the morning sunlight beams into Ukyo's apartment, slowly awakening Ryoga. He rubs his eyes and notices something's different…
 
`She's facing me… instead of being the other way around. Seeing her without that ribbon, her hair down like that is… nice…'
 
The now blushing Ryoga slowly sits up and attempts to exit the futon without disturbing the other occupant. Before he can get out, however, Ukyo wakes up and stretching her arms towards the ceiling and flexing her fingers, which instantly diverts Ryoga's attention to her upper body.
 
 
“Ah, that was a good night's sleep…” Ukyo looks over at Ryoga and sees the blush on his face. “Is something wrong Ryoga?”
 
Quickly averting his gaze, Ryoga nervous replies- “Umm… no…” before changing the conversation to something else. “I guess I'll get dressed and we'll eat breakfast before I umm… go over to the Tendo's…”
 
“Sounds like a plan… let's get this over with…”
 
 
Ukyo watches Ryoga leave the room after making a brief stop at his backpack for a change of clothes. `This is it… he's going through with it. Now I don't feel so bad about letting him stay here… and was he staring at me just a moment ago?' After shrugging her shoulders, Ukyo stands up and heads over to get her clothes ready for the day…
 
 
After ten minutes pass, Ukyo begins to wonder what's going on. `Is he lost?' A concerned Ukyo walks over to the bathroom door and starts banging on it…
 
“Are you okay in there?”
 
“Hold on…” Ryoga replied and tried his best to home in on the noise. Finally finding the door as Ukyo kept hitting it, he opens it and looks at her sheepishly. “All done…” The lost boy says as he steps out of the bathroom chuckling nervously and scratching the back of his head. “It's all yours…”
 
“You got lost in the bathroom?” She asked with a raised eyebrow, and wondered how such a thing was possible.
 
Sighing and slumping forward the lost boy finally admitted it. “Y-yeah… sorry… I didn't mean to make you wait…”
 
Ukyo shrugs her shoulders. “It's okay.”
 
“Umm… I'm gonna make us some breakfast… is that okay?”
 
A smile forms on the chef's face. “I don't mind. Walk straight ahead and down the stairs… and into the kitchen…”
 
"Okay..." he said and start to move, but he had not taken more than a step when she stopped him.
 
"Ryoga..."
 
"Yes?"
 
"I don't need help in the bathroom."
 
"Huh? What?" he asked and began to turn a bright red as he suddenly imagined her -in- the bathroom and what she would be doing in there. "Ah... I…"
 
"I said, that way..." She pointed behind him and he realized he had just tried to go the wrong way... again.
 
“Give me a few minutes and I'll help you with breakfast… now walk FORWARD, not towards me…”
 
 
Time passes and despite Ryoga getting lost a few times inside the apartment, breakfast is soon on the fire. Conversation is minimal as the pair enjoy a quick breakfast together before “hitting the road” towards the Tendo's residence. Nodoka, who's up early and enjoy a cup of green tea, notices the gate to the property open… and a nervous Ryoga slowly walking forward… each step feeling like ten to the martial artist.
 
 
`I wonder what that young man is doing here?' A moment later, a familiar figure appears behind him and begins gently pushing him.
 
“Keep going, keep going… you can't back out now…”
 
“Don't rush me…” Ryoga says while turning to face the brunette behind him.
 
 
Nodoka gets up and starts walking towards the pair… she addresses Ukyo with a smile. “Ukyo, who's the young man you're pushing towards me? Is this your new boyfriend?”
 
 
“Gah! No he just stayed with me last night... I mean at my house! I mean... " The now embarrassed chef stops dead in her tracks and nervous smiles. “Good morning mom…”
 
Looking at Ukyo critically, she let her new daughter sweat nervously a moment before replying. “Good morning…” she started while staring at the very nervous young man in front of her. “And your name is…?”
 
“Umm… Ryoga Hibiki…” The lost boy says while scanning the area for Akane.
 
Sensing the fear in Ryoga, Nodoka tries to calm down Ryoga. “I'm Nodoka Saotome… there's no need to be afraid…”
 
Ryoga's reply is quick. “It's not of you…”
 
“Mom, is Akane here?”
 
Upon the mention of the name “Akane”, Ryoga starts to freak out. Nodoka notices this and makes a mental note of it.
 
 
“No, she's not here… she went with Ranma and they're at a hot spring together… having some alone time together…" The woman added with a conspiratorial wink that Ryoga missed. "My manly son is even giving her private swimming lessons…” The Saotome matriarch says with a giggle at the end. “I'll have grandchildren in no time at this rate…”
 
“A hot spring? Wow… I guess those two are making some serious progress… first he's helping her study in her room…” Ukyo says while thinking out loud. “And now this…”
 
“Oh, I know… I was so happy to see him do that… he's finally focusing on his schoolwork. He tried to sneak into her room without anyone seeing… but mother knows all…” Nodoka says with pride. “I'm sure he was doing more then schoolwork in there…”
 
 
Knowing Ranma like she does, Ukyo snorts and dismisses the thought. `It's too early for them to be doing that… Ran-chan is not one to rush something like this… and I know Akane's nervous about it, too…'
 
 
After hearing all the discussion about Ranma and Akane's current “activities”, Ryoga is frozen in place. `That's… scandalous! How could those two be doing such things already?'
 
 
Wanting to make an exit, to avoid further embarrassment, Ukyo grabs the frozen Ryoga and starts dragging him behind her not realizing that she is holding on to his hand in order to lead him away from her mom… though mother vision sees her new daughter walking away holding a boys hand. "Oh they grow up so fast... little Ukyo has a boyfriend and they are headed out for a day on the town!"
 
 
The peacefulness of a hot springs in Northern Japan is what Akane awoke to, however it was not the hot spring outside that suddenly grabbed her attention. Instead it was what she awoke to inside the room that truly surprised her. "He moved closer,' passed though her mind as she looked at the still sleeping form of Ranma. 'He was sleeping next to me all night. Maybe that's why I felt safe…'
 
 
An idea suddenly pops into Akane's head and the young woman stealthily acts. Ranma is totally unaware that his fiancée has not only woken up… but has gotten breakfast- at least, until his nose rouses him from his sleep.
 
 
“Mmm… that smells good!”
 
“Good morning… I took the liberty of getting breakfast…” Akane says as she places a tray down next to Ranma. “Go ahead and eat…”
 
Not wasting a moment, Ranma reaches for the tray and starts scarfing down his food…
 
“Is anything getting into that mouth of yours?” Akane asks with a giggle.
 
“Ha-ha…” Is the wry response from the marital artist. “Wait a second… your outfit… that's new, isn't it?”
 
 
Akane watches as Ranma's eyes lock onto her and widen. `He's staring at me… and this new suit that I got. I knew I'd look good in this…'
 
Clearing her throat, Akane answers the question. “Yes, it is. I got it not too long ago… and I wanted to show you when the time was right… do you like it?”
 
“Do I like it?” Ranma pauses to let his eyes scan her body from head to toe. `She wearing something Chinese… but this has pants, unlike one of Shampoo's outfits. It looks like it's made out of quality material… hmm… that top part is very form fitting… Akane has nice…'
 
Ranma's thoughts are interrupted… and then put back on track by Akane's movements a moment later. Feeling a sudden burst of confidence about herself, she does a few modeling poses and bends down to look at Ranma…
 
`She looks so… damn… is she trying to kill me?' Is all that the now blushing Ranma can think about while slowly moving his head back and pinching his nose, in an effort to keep the blood in his body instead of gushing out.
 
“Why are you holding your nose shut?”
 
“Ummm…someone was flinging their arms around in their sleep and hit me... yeah, that's it…” Is the quickly made up story by Ranma.
 
Hearing that, Akane knows better then to believe that obvious lie. She gives Ranma 'the look' and he caves in while chuckling nervously.
 
“I guess you got me… you look great…”
 
“Good… I have a little favor to ask you, Ranma…” A small grin forms on Akane's face. “When we're done eating…”
 
“Yeah…” Ranma says before turning his attention back to his food in an effort to control himself. `Better eat first and then find out what she wants to do…'
 
 
Ten minutes later, in another part of the resort compound, Akane and Ranma entered a small dojo and marvel at the design.
 
“Just look at the floor, the ceiling… isn't that bamboo beautiful? They've got different designs carved into the walls…”
 
Ranma shrugs his shoulder. “I guess it looks nice… but why'd yah want to go here?”
 
“Simple…” Akane looks at Ranma. “To spar with you…”
 
Ranma tries to beg off. “Spar? Akane, I…”
 
“Look, I can handle myself. I'm a lot before then before…” Akane says, hoping to convince Ranma that she's strong enough to fight with him.
 
“Are you sure? I don't wanna hurt yah…” Ranma says, hoping she'll back off.
 
 
Unfortunately for Ranma, the suits' influence on Akane's personality continues to grow.
 
“Yes I'm sure… this tomboy wants to practice…” She says as her battle aura begins to form. Ranma steps back in awe…
 
`She's really powerful… more then I thought… just look at that. I've never seen her like this before… maybe she can handle a little sparring…'
 
 
“All right… let's spar…” Ranma says before taking a deep breath. “You attack first…”
 
“You asked for it…”
 
 
And so the fighting began. Ranma starts out slowly, making simple strikes and countermoves in order not to hurt Akane… but she avoids all the attacks with ease. The pace quickens and the two go at each other with great rapidity… until a yelp is heard.
 
“Ah, my nose! It's bleeding!” Ranma says, not believing that Akane slipped through and hit him in the face.
 
“I guess someone did hit you in the nose after all with their flailing arms…” Akane says with a shrug.
 
Reverting back to his old self, Ranma strikes back verbally. “That ain't funny tomboy!”
 
Excitedly, Akane responds back in a way that Ranma doesn't expect. Instead of getting angry, she gets more excited. “Oh, come on Ranma, it was just a joke. Let's practice some more… I'm feeling really good about my abilities!”
 
“But my nose…”
 
“Oh come on… be a man about it…” Akane steps forward. “Is it the nose… or that you're getting beaten by a girl?”
 
Not knowing what to say… Ranma is silent. Emotions begin coursing through his body… mostly negative ones. `What's wrong with her today? Why is she being like this?'
 
“Are you going to cry now?"
 
After hearing that line, Ranma puts his hands up in a defensive position in an effort to focus his mind elsewhere… but truth be told, he was close to crying. `My Akane… what's gotten into her?'
 
Seeing Ranma get ready to fight again lightens Akane's mood. “Better… just a few more minutes, okay? I'm feeling really confident right now…”
 
“You don't say…” Ranma mumbles under his breath. “Let's go at it again…”
 
 
Several hours later, a mismatched pair arrive back at the Tendo home. One is full of energy and is quite happy… the other is tired, depressed, and the only sunlight in their mind is that of finally arriving back home.
 
 
Nodoka sees the pair enter the grounds and immediately knows that something's wrong… but before she can do anything, Soun and Genma interfere…
 
 
Addressing his daughter, who's wearing her new gift, Soun asks simply- “How was the trip?”
 
“Just great! I learned some of the basics of swimming and of course, I got to work on some martial arts too…” Akane says with a grin.
 
“I guess the gift worked out just fine then, huh, Tendo?”
 
“Looks like it… she looks perfect in that suit…” Soun says with a nod.
 
Akane smiles. “Thanks!”
 
 
Genma turns to address Ranma. “So boy, how's the work coming along?”
 
“What work?” Ranma replies back coarsely.
 
“I thought you two would be working on making an heir to the schools… besides the obvious training, of course…”
 
 
Not wanting to answer that question, Ranma just turns and leaves. Nodoka watches and wonders what's wrong.
 

”Don't worry about him… he's just in a bad mood because he couldn't beat a girl…” Akane says pridefully.
 
Not believing what he just heard, Soun asks his daughter a question. “You… beat Ranma?”
 
“Yes…” Akane pauses and feels an urge to recount what happened earlier in the dojo. “We sparred… I broke his nose during the first set… and then I kept up the pressure on the second set… his face kept hitting the floor of the dojo… he didn't stand a chance.”
 
 
Shocked from what she just heard, Nodoka quietly gets up and heads back into the house in order to find her son. `Something has possessed Akane- that's not the same woman as before…'
 
 
Taking a few steps back, Soun thinks about what he just heard and witnessed. `She did… that? How in the world did my little girl do that to Ranma of all people… and her attitude… it sounded like she actually enjoyed beating him up.'
 
Genma is similarly silent. `My boy… got beaten by Akane. That must mean his training is slacking and he needs to get back into it…'
 
 
“I'm off to practice in the dojo… call me when dinner's ready…” With that, Akane walks away from the two fathers, who stand silent several minutes after.
 
“Saotome…”
 
“Yes, Tendo?”
 
“I don't think things are going as planned…”
 
“Hmm… I agree…”
 
 
Nearby, in the upper level of the Tendo home, Nodoka stands in front of a door, her ear pressed against the wood... she hears sounds from inside the room…
 
`Is that Ranma… crying? This must really be bothering him…'
 
 
A gentle knock on the door alerts Ranma to her presence. “Ranma… can I come in?”
 
Not wanting to be a disappointment in front of his mother, he replies with a simple “No”…
 
“Son… I want to talk with you…” Nodoka says softly.
 
“I ain't in the mood…”
 
 
Sensing that her son is really distraught about this, Ranma's mother makes another effort.
 
“She's not herself, is she?”
 
“No… she ain't… that's not the same Akane…” Ranma admits.
 
Nodoka hears the sound of footsteps and then the door opens. “Something's wrong with her and I… I… can't figure out what it is…”
 
“Ranma… let's talk about this inside…” Motioning forward, Nodoka enters the room and closes the door. She sits down on Ranma's futon and motions her son to sit next to her.
 
Tilting his head downward as he sits down, Ranma keeps the focus off of his face- his broken nose and reddened eyes are badges of shame to him.
 
“Let's start from the beginning… when did she start acting like this?”
 
Reluctantly, Ranma begins to relate the story… but is interrupted by the sounds of yelling outside…
 
“I wonder what that is?” A curious Nodoka asks as she gets on her feet.
 
“That sounds like Akane…” Ranma says, knowing full well what her yelling sounds like.
 
 
“You picked the wrong day to come over, pig boy!” Akane angrily shouts as she charges Ryoga. “I'm not in the mood to deal with you…”
 
Backing off, Ryoga tries to explain his purpose of being here. “I'm just here to…”
 
Taking some swings at Ryoga, Akane interrupts his reply. “Save it. I don't care what you're here for… you pervert!”
 
Ryoga continues to back off and tries to block her blows. “Just listen for one second…”
 
“I don't want to hear it!”
 
 
Her battle aura flaring, Akane goes on the offense… yells from both parties are heard as the fight continue. Ukyo, who's been watching from the entrance gate, cringes as each blow lands. `Damn! How'd she get so good? She's being really vicious, too… I'm glad I decided to give up instead of fighting her…'
 
Ranma and Nodoka walk over to the window and peer outside… and are shocked at what they're witnessing.
 
`Ryoga's getting his ass kicked… by Akane… he sure did pick the wrong time to come over here…' Ranma thinks as he looks on.
 
`That young man… Ukyo's boyfriend… he's in some real trouble there…' Nodoka thinks as the fight continues.
 
 
Despite what's happening, Ryoga is not fighting back… he can't get himself to hit a girl, even if it's one that's savagely attacking him. The blows start to land more and more frequently and soon the lost boy is knocked down on the ground, blood pouring from his nose and from numerous cuts on his body…
 
 
Jumping out of the window, Ranma lands on the ground and runs towards Akane.
 
“What the hell are you doing?” She asks as he nears.
 
“Stopping you…” Ranma says before making a stand in front of the fallen Ryoga. Not wanting to be interfered with, Akane makes a move to kick Ryoga… and Ranma grabs her…
 
“What are you doing? He's a pervert! He violated me!” A struggled Akane protests.
 
Feeling her breaking free, Ranma tries to calm her down. “Look, enough is enough…”
 
“I don't think he's paid yet…”
 
“If you keep this up, you're gonna kill him…”
 
“That's the idea…”
 
 
Ranma is taken aback at the words he just heard. `She said… that's she's gonna kill him. What's gotten into her? I gotta save Ryoga… he may have been wrong, but he don't need to die over this…'
 
 
“Stop! This isn't like you Akane!” Ranma yells angrily. “I'm not going to marry a killer!”
 
After glancing at Ranma, Akane silently walks over to the koi pond and kicks some water from it towards Ranma and Ryoga, triggering their respective curses.
 
“Then marry the damn pig!” She says before storming out of sight. Kasumi, worried about her little sister and her conduct, heads off in the same direction.
 
 
 
“Saotome… what the hell just happened?” Soun asks, not believing what he just witnessed.
 
“I… don't know…” Is about all that Genma can say after witnessing that incident. `I can't say anything to Ranma… if he didn't step in, Ryoga might've been killed.'
 
 
Ranma-chan runs over to the nearby clothesline and grabs a towel that's hanging up. A stunned Ukyo emerges from the gate area and runs over to the barely conscious P-chan…
 
“Ryoga!”
 
“I think he'll make it… but we have to get him to Dr. Tofu right away…” Ranma-chan says as she wraps the black pig in the towel.
 
“I'm coming with you…”
 
“Okay… let's get out of here before she comes back…” Is the nervous reply back.
 
 
Nodoka watches her daughter leave with Ranma-chan and the injured P-chan. `I'm worried about that boy… and Ranma. He's got so many things making him feel down right now… and now Akane's new powers… I'll really have to talk with him when he comes back. Something has to be done about this…'
 
 
The journey to Dr. Tofu's office goes without incident. Ranma-chan notices Ukyo's constant glances at the injured pig as they enter the office.
 
“Ranma, how can I…” Dr. Tofu stops in mid-sentence when he sees the pig in the towel. “What happened?”
 
The redhead shrugs her shoulders. “Akane went nuts and it looked like she was gonna kill Ryoga here…”
 
“I just wanted him to apologize… not get killed…” Ukyo adds sadly.
 
“Let's get some hot water going and then I'll treat the young man… he should be okay once I patch him up…”
 
 
Getting right to work, Dr. Tofu gets P-chan into the treatment room. Ukyo and Ranma-chan watch as the doctor changes P-chan back to Ryoga and treats his wounds…
 
 
“Ran-chan… what's wrong with Akane?” Ukyo says as she tries to make small talk.
 
“I don't know… ever since this morning… and she's got this attitude… and power…” Ranma-chan says before dumping some hot water on herself and triggering the change back to male Ranma. "She got this new gi and I think its gone to her head."
 
“I've seen her be violent… but not like this. She was ready to kill him, wasn't she?”
 
“It looked like it ta me…” Ranma replies back sadly.
 
Finishing of his bandaging of his patient, Tofu turns his attention to Ranma and Ukyo. “I couldn't help but overhear what you two were talking about… and I'm shocked. Akane would never do such things… at least, that's what I thought until you two brought Ryoga in…”
 
“How is he?” A concern Ukyo asks while looking at the resting patient.
 
“He'll be fine in the long term… but he has numerous bruises and cuts, those will take time to heal. I gave him a mild sedative, he should be up in about an hour…”
 
“Ukyo, Doc… since he's okay, I gotta go. There's somethin' that I gotta take care of…”
 
“One second, Ranma… let me fix your nose…”
 
“Oh, yeah…” Ranma looks down at his broken nose. “That…”
 
“I'll get some bandages and set it in place…”
 
 
After some minor adjustment, the doctor has Ranma's nose back into place and bandaged up. “You'll be good as new as soon as that heals up…”
 
“Thanks, Doc… I gotta go…”
 
“I'll see you later, Ran-chan. Don't worry about Ryoga, I'll umm… escort him home…”
 
Ranma nods his head. “Okay, thanks…”
 
 
Dr. Tofu and Ukyo watch Ranma run off and wonder where he's going…
 
 
Elsewhere in Nerima, the Cat Café's lights go on for the first time since Shampoo and Cologne left.
 
“It feels good to be back… but where's our help?” Cologne asks as she starts making up the first batches of noodles for the evening rush.
 
“Duck-boy need to do job…” Shampoo says as she rushes to tidy up the restaurant.
 
`Oh, I think he'll be around soon enough…'
 
 
Cologne's thought is interrupted by the sudden appearance of a masked figure in the doorway.
 
“Who's there?” Shampoo asks as she goes on guard.
 
The figure says nothing and slowly walks forward towards the pair. As he comes into view, Shampoo notices the details of the rest of the outfit.
 
`Hi-yah! Stranger have all black outfit… very form fitting. Big muscles… and a white mask… very unusual…'
 
 
“I see that my great-grand daughter is taken by your appearance, stranger…” Cologne says after noticing the blushing Amazon.
 
 
Saying nothing, the man bows first to Cologne and then to Shampoo… and then pulls out a piece of paper and hands it to the older Amazon.
 
“What that?” A curious Shampoo asks.
 
“Hmm…” Reading the note to herself, Cologne now understands why the visitor came in. As she's doing that, Shampoo takes a few steps forward and tries to look at the strangers' eyes… but only sees dark lenses, masking the true color of the eyes from her…
 
 
“Fine… meet us tomorrow morning just after dawn at the place you indicated on the note…”
 
 
No vocal response is given, but a slight nod indicates understanding of the request. A few moments later, the visitor clad in black leaves the restaurant and leaves a flurry of question in his wake…
 
 
Back in Dr. Tofu's office, Ryoga comes to… and sees two familiar figures standing in front of him.
 
“Doctor… what happened to me?”
“You got beat up by Akane… that's what I'm told by Ukyo here…” Is his sad reply.
 
“Are you okay, sugar?” Ukyo asks while placing a hand on his forehead. “I hope you're not going to get a fever again…”
 
“Let me get you some aspirin to take home with you and then you'll be ready to go…”
 
Excusing himself for a moment, Dr. Tofu heads over to a nearby medicine cabinet and removes a small bottle of aspirin. He returns with it and hands the bottle over to Ryoga.
 
“You may have some headaches or muscle pain, so take some if you feel like you need it…”
 
Ryoga nods his head. “Thanks, Doc.” Turning to look at Ukyo, who's since removed her hand, he smiles. “Ready to go?”
 
The chef blushes, knowing full well that she is about to play nurse again… and `ready to go' means going back to her place…
 
“Yes…”
 
 
As Ukyo helps Ryoga to his feet, Doctor Tofu opens the door. “Call me if there's any questions… or problems…”
 
“Sure…”
 
The two exit the clinic and are soon out on the street. Supporting Ryoga as they walk, Ukyo makes slow progress down the street. `This is going to take forever… but at least he'll be okay… now that he's away from Akane…'
 
 
“STOP! What did you do my poor Ryoga!” A voice cries out from a distance.
 
“Excuse me?” Ukyo turns her head and looks around in an effort to find out where that voice came from.
 
“I said STOP!”
 
“Ryoga, let me take care of this.” Ukyo whispers softly.
 
The lost boy nods and Ukyo gently leans him up against a tree. “Who's there?”
 
A gentle laugh is all the response Ukyo gets before a figure appears in front of her.
 
“Prepare to fight!”
 
 
Back at the Tendo home, dinner is being served to a very quiet and solemn group. Akane has elected to skip dinner and no one speaks, they only eat the wonderful meal that Kasumi has cooked up for them. Ranma, previously lost in thought, notices something unusual…
 
 
"Kasumi... what happened to your face… you look like you... you've been hit..."
 
Kasumi quickly covers up what is obviously a red mark on her cheek. "It's nothing Ranma..." She says then rushes into the kitchen.
 
Nabiki looks wide-eyed at this and mutters: "I... I didn't think Akane would do it..."
 
"Do what?" Her father asked.
 
"Akane told us to go away when we talked to her earlier... she said to go away or else... and... and I left but Kasumi... I didn't think Akane would hurt her."
 
Soun cannot believe it. “Oh no… Kasumi…”
 
“This has gone too far…” Genma remarks to no one in particular.
 
 
Hearing that even Kasumi was a target for Akane's anger, Ranma makes a decision. `This has to stop… I'm gonna go and talk to her right now…'
 
 
Rushing up the stairs, Ranma is soon at the door marked “Akane Tendo”. He flings the door open and prepares to give Akane a piece of his mind… but is stopped short by what he sees inside…
 
“Go away!”
 
Ranma takes a few steps inside and is surprised to see Akane curled up in a corner, her face etched with tears. Her puffy, red eyes lock onto Ranma and she once again repeats her request.
 
“I'm not in the mood to talk, go away!”
 
 
Taking a deep breath, Ranma hopes that he doesn't regret this next move later. “No, I'm not going anywhere…” He says as he closes the door behind him. “We need to talk… NOW…”
 
 
To be continued in Chapter 11: The suit makes the man... and woman.
 
 
 
Looks like I set another personal record with this chapter… 43 pages and over 13K words. This one was a tough one to write… look for another chapter in one of my stories soon… and possibly even a brand new one. (Sailor Moon) Until next time, keep an eye out on my author profile or check fanficrus and mediaminer for updates. Later!