Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ The Insanity Continues ❯ Grabbing Your Dream Date ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The Insanity Continues

Volume 3 - Anything Goes Martial Arts Dance Contest

Chapter 1 - Grabbing Your Dream Date

By: Lord Archive

Characters belong to Rumiko Takahashi and Shogakukan and are used without permission. All rights reserved.

-----------------------------
Akane's Diary Entry, Monday January 17th.

Hello Diary,

Today Ranma did something I never expected him to do. He got me a white rose and some chocolate for our one week wedding anniversary. To say I was shocked at Ranma doing something so sweet is an understatement. He instantly got defensive when I asked what he did with my husband, so I know it was really him.

Sorry I didn't write yesterday, it was kind of hectic as Ryoga, Akari, Dad, and Ranma's parent were here. Auntie Saotome insisted on giving me a cooking lesson. A lesson I wasn't allowed to help with. How am I suppose to learn how to cook if I don't practice?

I'm worried about school tomorrow as Principal Kuno announced he has a surprise for us students that we'll just love, which means we're going to hate it with a passion. This is just another thing to add to my problems there. Ranma and I are still having trouble with some students slandering us about me getting pregnant before the wedding. I bet the guys doing it are the same ones who kept asking Ranma what I was like in bed.

Still haven't patched things up with Ukyou. I can tell Ukyou is feeling guilty about telling the school I'm pregnant. Ranma doesn't want to forgive her just yet. This was her third big betrayal. The first was participating in the destruction of his mother's house, and the second was when she attacked him at the failed wedding attempt.

Ranma would've forgiven Ukyou already if she attacked us, but she told everyone about one of his secrets instead. He can deal with being attacked physically, he's use to that. He is not use to someone attacking him with secrets.

Ryoga and Akari have moved into Ryoga's house. I saw her drop a couple hints that she wants to get married when they were here yesterday, but I doubt Ryoga noticed. Of all my friends, I'd only encourage these two to get married. Akari would have the same problems if she got pregnant now as she would later. All my other friends are in school and would end up with a lot of problems if they got pregnant.

Dad and Ranma's parents went back to Auntie's house last night, so it's just me, Ranma, Nabiki, Kasumi, and Mousse here at my home, again.

I thought the past year and a half was an emotional roller coaster, but it has nothing over the past ten days. I'm only now truly adjusting to some of the changes. I actually answered to Saotome today. Diary, as insane as my life has been so far, I'm sure I'm in for more surprises and insanity.

-------------------------------

The second and third year students of Furinkan High were assembled in the auditorium. Ranma yawned as he waited for Principal Kuno to announce his surprise. Akane sat next to Ranma, ready to wake him if he fell asleep. Most of the other students were worried about the announcement.

"Good morning, Furinkan High," Principal Kuno greeted in English. He then said in Japanese, "I have wonderful news for you. Now that Ranma has settled down, I can hold an event which you'll all love without fear of him and his 'friends' ruining it."

Ranma started to pay a little attention as he was being singled out.

"It is now my pleasure to announce that on January Twenty-ninth, Furinkan High will host it's first junior/senior prom."

The students were amazed, stupefied, and generally shocked. Principal Kuno was actually doing something they would like. Some students were clueless as to what a prom was, while most of them knew from American movies it was a special formal dance party at school.

"Part of the prom will be a dance contest. It will factor into your physical education grade."

Some students became upset at this.

"To insure that nothing will ruin the prom. If you are involved in a fight at anytime during the prom, you will be disqualify from the dance contest and will cause you to have a failing grade for this physical education assignment."

Some students were happy with this. Some were upset at the possible lack of entertainment. Some were scared they wouldn't get a date.

Ranma and Akane became worried, as neither of them had received less than an A in gym, and Principal Kuno had functionally written an F down for this assignment. They knew there would be a fight and they would end up being part of it. Not to mention they didn't know how to dance.

Ukyou didn't know what to make of it. She no longer had someone she would want to take to the dance. Who would she go with?

Nabiki looked at Kuno, who was smiling. It didn't take a psychic to know what was going through his mind. He would ask her to the prom. After her date, Nabiki wasn't absolutely sure she wanted to go out with him again. Maybe she could use the prom to her advantage.

-------------------------------

The students filed out of the auditorium. All had the prom on their mind. More precisely, thinking of who they would go with to the prom.

Hiroshi knew who he wanted to ask. The problem was, at least two dozen other students wanted to ask her out too. If he was going to ask her, now was the time. "Ukyou!" he shouted.

"Yes?" Ukyou replied. Lost in thought, wondering what he wanted.

Hiroshi gathered up his courage and spit out his question, "I was wondering ifyouwouldgowithmetotheprom?"

Ukyou blinked. She remembered him being at her restaurant numerous times, he was one of Ranma's friends, and he seemed, to her, a nice enough guy. Most importantly to her, he didn't wear dresses. "Why not?" Ukyou shrugged. "Sure, I'll go to the prom with you."

Hiroshi almost fainted. "That's great! I'll stop by your restaurant right after school... to talk."

"Well, it's currently closed, but I guess it wouldn't hurt. See you then," Ukyou turned and walked back towards class.

Hiroshi stood there, not believing he not only got a date with her, but got a date with her to the prom. The five guys behind him weren't happy. They would've promptly beat him to a bloody smear, if they didn't know Ranma and Akane were standing behind them.

-------------------------------

It was now lunch, and the classrooms were extremely noisy as people talked about the upcoming prom. The rooms were packed, as it was raining, and friends from different classes wanted to talk to each other.

"Hi," Akane greeted warmly as she sat down next to Sayuri and Yuka.

"Hello, Saotome-chan." Yuka greeted her friendly.

"Hi. I thought you would be eating with your husband," Sayuri said.

"Well, we thought we could use a little time apart. It seems we haven't been more than ten feet apart for over a week now."

"You still aren't." Yuka pointed behind Akane. Ranma was sitting with Hiroshi and Daisuke a desks away down, about seven feet away.

Akane shook her head. "See what I mean? Anyway, what are you two doing for the prom?"

"Don't know. No one asked us yet," replied Yuka.

"You're lucky. You know who you're going with," Sayuri said.

"Yeah, but my gym grade is going to take a beating from it," Akane replied.

"How so? You and Ranma stand a pretty good chance of winning," Sayuri said.

"I have little doubt we could do well in the contest. It's the rule against fighting which will be the problem. Somehow, some way, there will be a fight, and we will probably be part of it," Akane answered.

"How can there be a fight now?" Yuka asked. "Most fights were over one of Ranma's fiancees or between Ranma and you. Now that he married you, there shouldn't be a fight."

"Maybe, but knowing how things happen with Ranma, something will happen at the prom, probably a fight, given the rule," Akane bemoaned.

Sayuri and Yuka thought for a moment, and could only nod to the girl's assessment.

"Now Yuka, why do you keep on calling me Saotome-chan?" Akane asked.

"It is your name," Yuka replied.

"That, and she's jealous you're married. Quite frankly, so am I," Sayuri added.

Akane pouted. "You don't really want to be in my shoes."

"Not your shoes. We don't want your interesting life. We just wish we had someone who loves us and wants to marry us," Sayuri corrected.

"You saw all I've had to put up with to get this far, and it's not done yet. I've had to compete with several woman for his love, and in winning, I got pregnant," Akane pointed out.

"More reason to be jealous," Yuka said. "I'd love to have a child."

"I'm sure you could find a lot of guys willing to get you pregnant. Of course, they'd be long gone once you are." Akane smirked. "Besides, would you really want to have a child while still in school? I'm not sure if I'll graduate now. I'm due a couple weeks after summer break."

Akane leveled her gaze at her friends. "You should be grateful you have years remaining of being childish, and having few responsibilities. I can no longer do things like I used to, as I have a husband and a baby to think of first. I can no longer just go out and do the things as I want. I can't even play certain sports now."

"Well, maybe we are better to wait, but we still want love and children," Yuka said.

"You may want children, I just want love," Sayuri corrected. "Anyway, who do you think will be going out with whom?"

"Let's see," Akane began. "Hiroshi already asked Ukyou."

"Hiroshi and Ukyou?" Yuka snickered. "There's a one time date. Who do you think will take your sister."

"Can't say," Akane replied.

"Can't because you don't know or because Nabiki won't let you?" Sayuri asked.

"Nabiki won't let me," Akane replied simply.

"Come on. You can tell us," Yuka pleaded.

Akane glared. "Not a chance. Nabiki is not above petty revenge for something like that."

-------------------------------

Nabiki sat at a corner of the main hallway, otherwise known as Nabiki's rainy day office. She already had several requests for her to find dates for the prom. This was proving to be a great day for doing business. She wasn't surprised to see her next customer.

"H-hello Nabiki," Gosunkugi greeted.

"Hello. I assume you're here in concern of finding you a date for the prom?" Nabiki guessed.

Gosunkugi nodded. "Y-yes."

"Fifteen hundred yen, and I'll see what I can do. There may be an additional charge for costs," Nabiki recited her charge.

Gosunkugi sighed. There goes buying more film. He pulled out and handed the girl all his money. He then walked away.

Nabiki wondered who she would get to be his date as she pocketed the money.

"I shall have words with you," Kuno said as he approached Nabiki.

"Shall we discuss this business after school? Say about five?" Nabiki asked.

Kuno raised an eyebrow to the girl's questions, wondering if this was how she asked men for dates. "Why not discuss this here and now?"

Nabiki noted his tone did not suggest he was about to ask her out. "Kuno-chan, I'd like to talk about certain things which would be better if we talked somewhere else. Besides, I want an excuse to not be home tonight, since Akane is cooking again."

Kuno nodded. "Very well. I shall pick you up at five then."

-------------------------------

Ranma had joined Hiroshi and Daisuke eating lunch at their desks. He set his lunch and a cup of water a fair distance from himself. "Hi guys."

"Hi," Hiroshi and Daisuke returned.

"How come you aren't eating with Akane?" Hiroshi asked.

"She thought it'd be nice to talk to our friends." Ranma looked at his lunch. "Besides, I don't think she wants to see me while I try to eat the lunch she made. We've been avoiding fighting since the wedding, and she doesn't want any reasons to start one."

"Ranma and Akane not fighting? Isn't that a sign of the apocalypse?" Daisuke joked.

"How bad is it this time?" Hiroshi asked.

"Don't know. She made it while I was training Mousse." Ranma sighed as he opened the bento box.

"Rice with gray sauce and... green peppers... I think?" Daisuke observed.

Ranma nervously took a bite. His eyes bulged. He grabbed the cup and downed the water quickly. His mouth burned even hotter now than before he drank the water.

"Spicy?" Hiroshi asked.

Ranma nodded.

Hiroshi took a slice of bread of his sandwich and handed it to Ranma. "This will work better."

Ranma grabbed the bread and took a bite. The sensation of heat dying down as he chewed. "Thanks."

"No problem. By the way, those aren't green peppers, they're jalapeno peppers."

"I knew that. It's the gray sauce that's really, really spicy," Ranma corrected. "It's not really bad. But I might be able to learn to breath fire with this stuff." He started to eat, alternating bites between his lunch and the slice of bread. "So, who are you going to the prom with?" Ranma asked Daisuke.

"I'm hoping to ask Shampoo," Daisuke replied.

"Heh, good luck. I doubt she'd go to the prom unless her date has defeated her," Ranma said.

"You don't think she'd go on a date?" Daisuke asked.

"On a date, maybe, but to the prom knowing I'm there, not a chance. She doesn't want to see me anytime soon. I really suggest you ask someone else," Ranma advised.

"I don't know then, maybe Sayuri," Daisuke said.

"She'd be a much better choice. Actually, she's a pretty good choice, period," Ranma said.

"What's with the sudden girl advice? You've never really commented on girls before," Hiroshi asked.

"Before, if Akane heard me make a comment about a girl, she'd hit me. Now, I can give comments because Akane knows exactly how I feel about her. She knows there's no reason to be jealous," Ranma replied.

"Did you tell her what your 'insults' really mean?" Daisuke asked.

"Yep," Ranma nodded. "She now calls some of my 'insults,' flattery."

"And the others?" Daisuke asked.

Ranma frowned. "Would still hurt her. I may be pointing a weakness for her to correct, but she doesn't want to hear them. I've been avoiding saying those."

"Any suggests for my date with Ukyou?" Hiroshi asked.

"I'd rather not talk about her," Ranma replied.

"How long are you going to hold this grudge? Ukyou is your friend. Sure, she betrayed you, but you betrayed her worse. Even if you didn't have a choice in doing so. Is it really bad the school knows Akane was pregnant before the wedding and that you knew about it?" Hiroshi asked.

"If she didn't, we could've said she got pregnant on the wedding night. No one would be able to know the difference," Ranma countered.

Hiroshi wagged his finger. "But almost everyone suspected she was pregnant. Sure, it would've been hard to prove. But to get you married, there had to be more than just you finally admitting you love her, or even you having sex with her. Besides, Nabiki would have come up with some way of letting us know when Akane got pregnant, as she had set up a betting pool."

"Why am I not surprised?" Ranma asked himself.

-------------------------------

"Now's the time to ask her," Hiroshi suggested to Daisuke after school had ended.

Ranma nodded, noting the boy's 'second' choice was now only talking to Akane.

"I don't know. Maybe I should ask Shampoo first," Daisuke replied.

"You saw Kenshiro after lunch. He went to go ask her and now he's bruised and limping," Ranma said.

"I don't know," Daisuke fretted. "She's busy talking anyway."

"That's easily fixed." Ranma turned towards Akane and Sayuri. "Yo, Akane! Can I see you for a second?"

Akane sighed. "I'll see what he wants. Be right back." She walked over. "So, what is it, Ranma?"

"We're trying to build up Daisuke's courage to ask Sayuri to the prom," Ranma answered barely above a whisper.

"Oh!" Akane smiled. "Just go over and ask her. I know she'll say yes."

"Really?" Daisuke asked.

Akane nodded firmly. "I'm certain."

Daisuke gulped. "All right. Here goes nothing."

Ranma, Akane, and Hiroshi faked a conversation while keeping an eye on Daisuke.

"Hi, Sayuri," Daisuke greeted nervously.

"Hi," Sayuri returned. She became nervous, seeing as he was nervous.

"I was wondering... if you would... go with me... to the... prom?" Daisuke croaked out.

"Yes... I'd like that." Sayuri smiled innocently and blushed.

Daisuke shifted uneasily. "Great."

Sayuri nodded. "Yeah."

They remained silent for several minutes.

"Mind if I walk you home?" Daisuke asked.

"That'd be fine." Sayuri turned to see Akane, Ranma, and Hiroshi had been watching. She blushed deeply. "Eh, I'm going home now. I'll see you tomorrow, Akane."

Akane waved. "See you then."

"Bye," Daisuke said, which everyone returned in kind.

"I guess I should go talk to my dear, sweet Ucchan now," Hiroshi said smiling.

"Call her that, and you'll know how it feels to be hit upside the head with her combat spatula," Akane informed.

"Good safety tip. Thanks." Hiroshi ran out of the classroom.

Ranma put his arm around Akane and they left as well.

"Now I have to find a date. Any suggestions?" Ranma asked.

"Rrrraanma," Akane growled.

"Just joking. How about we go to a dance club to learn how to dance?" Ranma asked.

"And how is that going to help us?" Akane wondered.

"Simple, we watch others dance and copy their moves. Just think of it as watching a martial artist performing a kata and repeat what they do," Ranma pointed out.

"Might work." Akane shrugged. "How about we go Saturday night?"

"I guess. At least we know there should be some good dancers there," Ranma agreed.

When they made it outside, they noticed Yuka was just standing there with a blank expression on her face.

"Hey, Yuka? Are you all right?" Akane asked.

Yuka nodded.

"I thought you were going home. Why are you still here?" Akane wondered.

"Hiro asked me to the prom," Yuka answered without any emotion.

"Hiro? The captain of the soccer team?" Akane questioned.

Yuka nodded.

"That's great. You did say yes?"

Yuka nodded.

Akane smiled. "Well, you should hurry home now. You know how your mother worries about you."

Yuka nodded and started to walk. She moved to a jog by the time she was at the gate. A moment later Ranma and Akane heard Yuka shout for joy about a block away.

"She should make it home in record time," Akane commented.

-------------------------------

Ms. Hinako, in her adult form, knocked at the door of the Saotome-Tendo home. She appeared to be nervous.

"Hello," Kasumi greeted as she opened the door.

"Hello, Kasumi. I'd like to speak with your father," Ms. Hinako said.

"I'm sorry, but he has sort of moved to the Saotome residence currently. I can give him a message if you wish?"

Ms. Hinako became disappointed. "Tell your father, Furinkan High would like to know if he would chaperon the school's prom on January Twenty-ninth."

Kasumi thought for a moment. "I'm sure he would be glad to help."

"Can we be sure of his help?" Ms. Hinako asked, her voice surprisingly pleading.

Kasumi couldn't think of any sort of plans her father might have. "I'm pretty sure he'd help."

"Thank you," Ms. Hinako smiled.

Kasumi shut the door. She then went over to the phone and dialed.

"Hello, Saotome residence," Nodoka answered the phone.

"Hi, Auntie. I'd like to talk to Father," Kasumi said.

"Certainly," Nodoka replied.

"Hello," Soun greeted his daughter.

"Hi, Daddy. The school wants you to chaperon their prom," Kasumi informed.

"Um, I have plans for that night," Soun quickly declined.

Kasumi frowned. "Oh, you have prior plans? But I haven't told you when it is."

"When is it?" Soun asked.

"January Twenty-ninth," Kasumi answered.

"Yep. Definitely have plans for that night," Soun told her.

Kasumi pouted. "But I told them you'd help."

"I'm sorry, but I can't break them. Why don't you chaperon the event?" Soun suggested.

"Me? Well, I guess I could go in your place. But they asked for you," Kasumi replied.

"As I said, 'I've got plans.' You can go and have fun," Soun encouraged.

"All right, Father, if you insist. Bye." Kasumi hung up the phone. "My, Father is busy all of the sudden."

"Bye," Soun said, hanging up the phone.

"You're as bad as my husband," Nodoka commented.

-------------------------------

Ms. Hinako was smiling since she left the Saotome-Tendo residence. Suddenly the chi she had absorbed from some delinquents dissipated, returning her to her child from. She then shouted for joy, doing cart wheels. It did not take her long to arrive at her next destination.

Dr. Tofu was greeted by a rambunctious, chibi-Ms. Hinako as he entered his waiting room. "May I help you?" he asked.

"Ah, yes, doctor," Ms. Hinako said. "Furinkan High wants to know if you would chaperon the school's prom on January Twenty-ninth?"

Dr. Tofu thought a second about it. It would mean he couldn't go out with Kasumi that Saturday night, but he could still go out the night before. "I'd be glad to help."

"Thanks, Doc." Ms. Hinako skipped out of the clinic.

And that little girl a teacher, his thoughts derided bitterly. He then shook his head and then sighed. Cologne's potion was still in affect. He feared it might even be getting worse.

-------------------------------

Kasumi knocked on Nabiki's door.

"Who is it?" Nabiki called.

"Kodachi is on the phone for you," Kasumi replied.

Nabiki got up and left her room to get to the phone. She took with her a file. Picking up the phone, she said, "Hello, Kodachi."

"Greetings, Nabiki," Kodachi said from the other end of the line. "I want you to find me a date for your school's prom."

"May have to ignore your primary criteria, as you'll need to date someone from the school," Nabiki pointed out.

"You will not! Also, I don't want anyone as womanizing as that Mikado guy. He may have been a good kisser, but he wanted to take more liberties with me than just my lips. I had to reprimand him. He won't be available for dating for some time," Kodachi growled out.

Nabiki grumbled, "Someone who has fought Ranma... preferably has beaten him... Ah! We do have one person who matches your primary criteria, he has even beaten Ranma once. And he definitely won't attempt to take any liberties from you."

"Good. Who is he? Kodachi wondered."

"His name is Hikaru."

"I don't think I've heard of him. Oh well, if he's defeated Ranma, he should be good enough. I shall talk with you later." Kodachi hung up.

Nabiki grinned. She checked off Gosunkugi Hikaru from her list. Thanks to that Moxibustion incident, Gosunkugi had one victory to his name. Sure, it was with the help of Kuno, Mousse, and Principal Kuno, and Ranma was too weak to fight. But it was a victory none-the-less.

-------------------------------

Kuno sat with Nabiki at the Neko-Hanten eating dinner. He was paying, of course. He was showing signs of nervousness.

"All right, Kuno-chan. What did you want to ask me at lunch?" Nabiki asked, her cold mask of indifference in place.

"I wish to have all the information you have on that demon... Pantyhose, you called it?" Kuno asked, his nervousness disappeared with Nabiki's question.

"Listen to me this time. Pantyhose Tarou is as human as our waitress. He has trained in martial arts from a very young age and is capable of regularly defeating Ranma when he's in his human form. In his Jusenkyo curse form, he is even stronger and it took several martial artist, each of them better than you, to defeat him. He is quite capable of killing you. He might not even care if he killed you. My advice to you as your business adviser and as a friend, avoid him."

"I can't sit idly by as the demon roams free," Kuno protested.

"Kuno-chan. At the wedding, a sword appeared in your hand when the demon showed up. Is that the only means of getting it?" Nabiki questioned.

Kuno nodded. "Yes."

"If Pantyhose was a demon, would not the sword have appeared?" Nabiki pointed out.

Kuno frowned. "It should, but it is a fickle weapon."

"But it didn't. He's not a demon." Nabiki took it as a 'yes' anyway.

"He may not be a true demon. But from what I've seen, and your description, tells me his soul may be as tainted of one of the foulest ones, like he who has taken over your home," Kuno spouted.

Nabiki shook her head. "Kuno-chan, please listen to me. You don't want to fight him. Ranma wipes the floor with you in all your fights. So, what chance would you have against the person who can defeat him? Please avoid him. If you value your own life, avoid him."

Kuno gazed at the girl. "You are concerned for me?"

"I don't want to see you dead, and if you follow this pointless pursuit, you will be," Nabiki returned almost pleadingly.

Kuno frowned. "For you Nabiki, I shall forgo my pursuit of him. I hope I never have reason to regret my choice."

Nabiki nodded. "Good."

"Now Nabiki, I have another question for you. I ask that I may grace you with my company at the forthcoming dance my father is so graciously holding?" Kuno requested.

"One condition Kuno-chan, whenever I want to tell you something, you will listen to me," Nabiki demanded.

Kuno smiled. "I shall adhere to that condition as you oft bring me sagely advice."

"Excellent." Nabiki's emotionless masked finally slipped off completely as she smiled.

"I hear you procured a date for my sibling so that she may also attend the festivities," Kuno noted.

"Yes. It's rather hard finding her a date, though, given that her primary criteria is someone who has fought Ranma, and preferably beat him," Nabiki replied.

"Such is a hard task, for few have the might that I yield so as to face the vile deceiver. But I ask, who is this man you have found for my sister?" Kuno wondered.

Nabiki smirked. "Promise not to tell her what you know of him."

"Why should I withhold knowledge to my own flesh and blood?" Kuno wondered.

"Well, I want her to see her primary criteria isn't very good. While her date meets it, he will fall far short of her expectations," Nabiki answered.

Kuno nodded. "I shall agree, unless I feel he may hurt my sister."

"Her date is Gosunkugi Hikaru," Nabiki told him with a slight chuckle.

Kuno laughed. "I feel my sister would do well to hold on to him. She could learn many things from him."