Realism Fan Fiction ❯ White lies ❯ Dirty Little Secret ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

White Lies


It was a beautiful day in the small town of West Canyon, the sun was shining near the horizon in the early evening sky which was not covered by any mischievous clouds whatsoever. However, all was not so cheery and bright in a young girl's mind as she walked numbly across a small secluded park. “You stupid child, can't you do anything right?” The man had shouted at her earlier. As a scene from earlier of the middle-aged man striking the young strawberry blonde-haired girl replayed over and over in her mind as she trudged across the park, sighing heavily.
“Stupid Chris, what kind of guardian is he?” She sighed
as she stared at the lush green grass under her dirty, scuffed up sneakers. She also wore a pair of dirty, cut up, grass stained jeans and an equally dirty white tank top. The girl obviously did not put much in her daily appearance.

Suddenly, as she was passing a
full grown Dogwood tree, the blue-eyed blonde fell ungracefully onto the grass, face first. “Ouch,” she grumbled as she propped herself up on her forearms and sat up, rubbing her head and she looks around to find out the cause of her fall and found the answer when she saw someone's feet just a few inches away from hers. The body that leaned against the Dogwood tree remained unmoving, not even muttering an apology, much to her annoyance. Not in the mood to do with that kind of crap, she glared at the body and snapped, “Why don't you get your stupid feet out of the pathway! I don't know if you're familiar with the fact people actually walk around parks but hey I could be wrong!” She looked over the figure to see if she received any physical response, but the figure remained silent and unmoving. “At least say sorry!” She growled standing up and lightly kicking the leg she had tripped over, sure to receive a response from that.
 
 

Instead the figure fell over and that's when it finally clued into the angered girl that the person was not breathing…Or showing any form of life whatsoever. “Uh-Oh, uh wakey, wakey,” the girl said paling and crouching down to poke the figure.
“Well, this is great,” Whined a masculine voice from behind her, which resulted in the girl standing up, and turning around to see a carbon copy of the figure beside her. Her eyes widened significantly as she looked from the boy on the ground to the one standing in front of her, both pretty much completely covered up by a black trench coat and black bandana.
 
`Oh my god, that's a ghost…He's a ghost…I don't kick that hard do I?' The girl panicked as she began to tremble and sweat profusely while she stared from one figure to another. “I-I'm so s-sorry!” She managed to falter out; she had never laid eyes on an undead being before. “I d-didn't mean to k-kill you! Honestly I-I didn't!” She said fearfully, if she had pissed off this spirit he probably won't treat her as kindly as she would have hoped. She gulped loudly and looked at the seemingly undead boy, who took one look at her and burst out laughing.

“I should be the one apologizing. I'm not dead, that's my mannequin!” The boy laughed as the girl stared blankly at the limp body beside her and poked its side softly, feeling the fibers that held the stuffing inside the decoy neatly.
Her cheeks flushed a deep rosy red as she looked up at the still laughing boy.
“Well, it's good to know I'm not a murderer or insane!” She laughed out, all her livid feelings from before just melting away at the awkward hilarity of the situation. She stood up and extended a hand towards the now calmed down boy, “I'm Mimi.”
I'm Vince…I've never seen your face around here, you new?” Vince smiled, shaking her hand. Mimi looked over the boy once again and realized the only truly visible parts of the boy were his mouth and nose, how weird.

“Yeah I just moved in yesterday, and I haven't been having the best first day…” Mimi said as her hand touched
the dark, purpling contusion on her abdomen which was safely covered by her shirt. Vince simply stared at her, intrigued by the new face in this painfully dull town. He was also shocked that the girl even wanted to be seen talking to him, you would figure a guy who is completely covered up and mysterious wouldn't be that approachable.

“Sorry to hear that, Mimi. Where did you move from?” Vince said as he grabbed the mannequin and threw it into the dense bushes at the beginning of the misty, dark forest that took up most of the park. She stared at him, trying to find a part of him that wasn't concealed in the dark folds on the trench coat.
“Uh, Brooklyn, New York… Born and raised,” Mimi answered quickly, a tone of pride in her voice. “So it explains why I'm lost in a rural area like this,” she added scratching the back of her head and looking down in shame. Vince lifted his bandana while the girl looked down and looked over her features. Kind of scrawny and quite a pale complexion but never the less a lightly toned body, not too bad for a city-slicker. He dropped the bandana back over his eyes as Mimi looked up.
“So you're lost? I know this town like the back of my hand; I've lived here long enough. Do you remember your address?” Vince said approaching her
“31789 Falcon Street, I think.” Mimi said smiling, sure the boy was dressed in weird attire for the summer but at least he seemed helpful. As she followed him to find her house she couldn't help but shake in trepidation. Was Chris home? Would he beat her again? These and other questions filled and consumed her being as she found it harder and harder to put one foot in front of the other, but just as she was about to collapse and curl up into a pitiful ball of fear, Vince's voice broke the spell the consuming questions had on her.

“Here you go, 31789 Falcon Street. Be careful next time you go out…This town isn't so pretty once the streetlights come on…” Vince said darkly, as if he was suddenly going to pull a knife on her and complete her horrible day. However, that did not happen, Vince just simply held out his hand and bid her good night.
 
However, when Mimi walked into the house and was greeted by a slap in the face by her pissed drunk uncle, she doubt that she would have `a goodnight'.