Romance Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Catch and Release ❯ Liquor/Bad Day ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Original Prompt :: Bad Day
New Title :: Liquor
Word Count :: 541
Character(s) :: `Kari and Mic
 
Upon walking into the house, `Kari was not all surprised to hear the mild Russian cursing coming from the next room. She'd been greeted with it off and on for the past few weeks after all. What did surprise her was walking into the kitchen to find her stepbrother nursing not a shot glass of the vodka he stashed away under the sink but the entire liter bottle. Praying that it had already been more than a fourth gone as the bottle was now dangerously down to the half way mark, she dropped her bag cautiously. The college student didn't notice.
`Kari made no move towards him until the half inebriated boy slipped down the cupboards to rest on the floor in front of the sink. If he knew she was there, he did not let her know.
“You're not legal to be drunk yet, remember?” This only prompted her step brother to shoot her a dirty look and take another sip.
“You got a reason, Mic?” `Kari was careful, her stepbrother wasn't in the best of moods obviously, and she didn't intend to make it worse by using his actual first name. It was apparently cringe worthy for him.
“Bad day,” when she raised and eyebrow, he continued, “Yes, that bad.”
“….your dad?” the way he flinched and clutched what rested in his other hand told her yes.
“He wants me to go to church again….wants me to be nice to your mother. Says he'll stop helping me with college if I talk any more about cooking. All the normal stuff.” `Kari ground her teeth trying to think of what to say. Mic went back to nursing the vodka.
“Well…you go sometimes, right?”
“Huh?” Mic looked at her again.
“Church.” He paused and then nodded. He looked to the floor and spoke again,
“He doesn't know that.”
“Then tell him.” She crossed her arms in annoyance.
“It won't be enough. Give on that…and he'll just push the rest.” `Kari shifted her weight.
“Well…you didn't want to be in business school anyways.”
“Won't manage to stay in Culinary School without help.” She bit her lip before trying again.
“I don't like your dad, so you don't have to like my mom.” Mic snorted.
“Not if you listen to my father. As he put it, I'm older, I should set an example.” `Kari stayed quiet for several long moments. Mic went back to the bottle.
“What are we, three and six?!” Mic shrugged for an answer.
“So your too busy for church some Sundays, you keep your faith in a different way. Or is that not your cross in your hand?” Her words seemed to make him take a larger drink.
“Okay,” `Kari whispered, coming to sit by him, “You've had a bad day. But if you keep drinking, I'll make it worse.” Mic looked to her, his stepsister's eyes having gone hard. He put down the vodka bottle.
“I know you've never really liked me, but I won't watch you drown yourself in liquor.” After a moment she continued. “Talk to me.” Mic didn't respond and the bottle was still cap less at his side.
“Or…there's a baseball game. Something?” Mic stared at her for a long moment and then capped the bottle.