Romance Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ varsity outcasts ❯ chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Chapter 1
The Outcasts. They sat in the backs of rooms, huddled together as if telling a permanent secret, and glared at all of us Normals like we were their worst enemies. On the social scale, we were, but us Normals have never associated with the Outcasts. They were just so different.
Their leader was Aslo Clark Edmond, or, also known as Ace. He glared at people for different reasons than the other Outcasts. I hadn’t seen him glare at me since we were kids. It was as if he saw something in me that I couldn’t see.
Only once had I associated with Ace. It was back when we were in fourth grade, when he was a lost puppy, because he didn’t have his fellow Outcasts at school. I had been playing tag with some of my friends and I had run into Ace while he was trying to finish his homework that was assigned that morning.
“Sorry,” I apologized.
Ace glared at me for a moment, then his expression had changed, his face unreadable and for the first time, I heard him speak. “It’s okay,” he said, then turned away.
I didn’t know it then, but I had a connection with the Outcasts. It wasn’t huge, until a while ago, when I had another conversation with Ace. That was the day my life had changed forever and I was an Outcast. A black-eyed, cold hearted, lifeless Outcast.
I remember when all of the Outcasts had disappeared for a week. When they came back, they were even more disconnected from everyone else than before. It made me curious.
At that moment, Ace looked up, and straight into my eyes. I found myself unable to look away. I could almost feel things within me unraveling and pouring out in plain view for Ace to see. After that, he did something that shocked me.
He smiled.
I’d never seen an Outcast smile. They always had poker faces on, as if afraid to let a Normal in. It was as if they were protecting themselves, when, in fact, they were protecting us Normals.
The bell rang and everyone in the class stood. Ace stood and towered over the other Outcasts. His hair was blond and askew and his eyes were dark, almost dead looking.
I quickly grabbed my stuff and scurried out of the room.
“You left this behind.” A husky voice said. Even though the voice was distant and could be directed to anybody, I turned and saw Ace holding a book out towards me.
“Oh, thank-you.” I grabbed it from him and began to turn, but I noticed he was staring at me. “What?”
“Kierra, you’re not one of them. You belong with us.” He said in an ominous tone that made me freeze up.
I backed away slowly, then sprinted to my next class, which did not contain a single Outcast.
“Was hat Ace talking to you?” Hali Mollez, one of my friends, sat on my desk and looked at me as if I were oozing green slime or growing a second head.
“No, he was just giving me my book.” I looked through my stuff so I could avoid eye contact with Hali.
Hali sat next to me and was quit. She was already staring at the clock, anticipating the moment it let us out. We were in our last hour.
After an hour of history, the bell ran, and I hurried down the hall and onto my bus.
I sat and was soon joined by Liz Bedson, who turned and talked to the two boys behind us.
I was about to when something sticking out of my biology book caught my eye. I slipped it out of the book. It was a small envelope with messy, almost unreadable handwriting on the front.
Kierra read this in private.
Before Liz could turn back to me, I shoved the envelope back into the book. My biology book had been the book Ace had given back to me that day. It was from him.
Even though nothing the Outcasts did ever interested me, this note made me eager and jumpy.
“Do you have ants in your pants, Kie?” Liz turned to look at me, smiling brightly.
“I just want to get home. There’s a really good show on MTV that I want to watch.” I lied. If she knew I was eager to read an Outcast’s note, she’d disown me. Liz was a powerful person at Varsity High School and could make the whole student body disown me. The only people I’d be left to face would be the Outcasts.
I closed my eyes and sat back. In my mind, a door opened. There was such a bright light coming from the door, though, I couldn’t see what was on the other side. I couldn’t’ move forward yet. There was something holding me back, something to do with that note in my biology book from Ace.