Romance Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ varsity outcasts ❯ chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Chapter 2
“Is that you, Kierra?” My mother called as I entered the house.
“Yes,” I looked into the kitchen where my mom was sitting at the island in the center of the room looking at mail.
“Hey Kierra,” She pulled a letter out. “It’s your report card.”
I turned away, not really interested in my grades. I knew I was passing, so I didn’t care. I settled into my room and pulled my biology book out of my bag. A corner of the note was peeking out, mocking me. I pulled out the note and just stared at the envelope for a minute. Fight when I was about to tear it open, my mother called for me.
“Kierra Anne Mikade! Come here this instant!”
I sighed. I was in trouble.
“What is it?” I wondered as I entered the kitchen. My mother shoved a piece of paper in my face. I backed up a bit and saw that it was my report card. I was pleased with all of the letters except the last one. A big, fat, ominous F.
“How did you get an F, Kie? I thought you were passing history?” My mom wondered.
“I thought so, too,” I sat on a stool and lay my head in my arms. A week before I had been getting a C in that class, so where did the F come from? Then I remembered. I had failed the final exam, and when I told my mother, she groaned.
“Why didn’t you study, Kie?”
“I did. I studied and studied for every subject and while I was studying for history, I fell asleep.”
“I’m not going to yell at you for failing.” My mom decided. “But I am going to make you clean Mason’s room.
I groaned as my twelve-year-old brother Mason entered the room. “Why do I have to clean his room?”
“Because I got all A’s.” He smiled at me. Mason looked a lot like me, with bright green eyes and honey blond hair.
“Shut-up and stop rubbing it in, Mason!” I growled.
He just laughed. “You’d better get started, Kie! My room’s extra dirty today!”
I grumbled complaints under my breath and trudged down the hall and into Mason’s room. It smelled of spoiled cheese and gym socks. Mason’s gym socks smelled horrendous.
Mason came in and sat on his bed so he could dictate me. He probably thought I’d stick a rat in one of his drawers, which sounded completely fascinating at that moment.
I refused to do the absolutely disgusting things, and Mason was fine with that, “At least I’ll be nice.” Mason said as he began to clean what I would not. Mason had been listening to my comments for almost an hour, and I think he was fed up with me and he just wanted me out of his room.
I wasn’t going to protest.
“Yes, I’m free!” I cheered when the room was almost spotless.
“Maybe next time you won’t fail a class.” My mom was reading a book in the living room.
“I didn’t mean to!” I rolled my eyes and turned to go to my room. Before I could even take a step, the door opened.
“Dad!” Mason me my father at the door.
“Hey, buddy!” My father was grinning broadly, but I knew it wouldn’t last long. “Hey, Kie.”
“Hey,”
“Kierra got her report card today.” Mason told him.
I cringed as my father wondered, “Oh, and how’d you do?”
Mason grabbed it from the coffee table along with his own. “She got two C’s, three B’s, an A, and an F. I got all A’s.”
My father turned and glared at me. “You got an F?”
“Honey, she tried. It was just the exam that brought her grade down.” My mother was already trying to calm him down.
“I don’t care.” He snapped at her. “Kierra Anne Mikade, you’re grounded. Go to you room. I don’t want to see you for the rest of the night.”
I went straight to my room. My dad was very intimidating. He was dark and disorganized, and almost reminded me of an Outcast, but deadlier. The first thing I saw when I closed my door was the note. I lunged for my bed and picked it up, tearing it open.
I struggled to read Ace’s writing, but eventually figured out what the note said.

Kierra, you’re one of us. I know it’s strange for us to ay you’re an “Outcast”, as everyone calls us. We’re more than just people and a name, Kierra, a lot more. We’ll be waiting at the Cathedral (the old, abandoned church on Splitfield St.) to explain more. Come at Ten.
Ace

I looked up at my clock. It was nine and it would take a while to walk up to Splitfield. It was on the other side of town.
Usually when I was grounded, I obeyed my punishment, but I was drawn to attending this meeting, like it affected my life in a very big way.
I slipped out of the window and snuck down my street, being very careful not to get caught.