Romance Fan Fiction / Realism Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Vampire Castle ❯ Long, Long Ago... ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

SIX HUNDRED FIFTY SEVEN YEARS AGO
They stood in the topmost tower, in the highest room. It had no windows, and only a trapdoor to enter through, one that only a very small person could use- even they with difficulty. The hair of both men brushed against the ceiling. One held a package in his hands, only the size of his head. From outside, there was no evidence of another room; the tower had, in fact, been barricaded because of its disrepair. Oddly enough, it had been closed off as long as anyone could remember, yet had become no worse in condition. Unfortunately, magic trackers were a rarity, with only one who was able to use their powers each generation. Frequently even then their powers would be hidden to avoid the misuse and exploitation of the user.
The one closest to the door spoke as the other whispered the spell of hiding. "Are you sure it is right, to hide it, and lock it away?" His voice was quiet, as if he feared an eavesdropper was near, despite the death of everyone else in the castle.
"Of course I am sure. It is terrible to have them preying upon us, but to let them join us would be worse," said the second man. His voice was soft and cruel. "What good would it bring," he continued, "to let them join the human race? It is a matter of superior breeding; we must preserve the purity of our species. We do not want our descendants to carry the blood of vampires," he hissed. His voice grew steely and full of hate as he continued. "It would be the death of us all."
"Then why do we not just destroy the relic? It would destroy them, yes?" His fear began to be noticeable in his voice despite his efforts to suppress it.
"It is the connection between us. If the relic is destroyed, they would die. But so would we. I believe that would defeat the whole purpose of annihilating them."  His sarcasm was dripping like poison from a snakes fang.
"They will come to claim it."  He began to shuffle slowly closer toward the exit.
"Let them. They will never find it."
"Do you not find it cruel that-" His voice was cut off as the silver disc of light came at him, the spell easily sliding through the muscle and bone of his neck. His corpse collapsed, and his severed head fell through the trapdoor. There was a thud as it hit the floor, then the sound continued as the head went down the stairs.
"Tut, tut. You really should have listened and kept your mouth shut. Then you wouldn't have had to die. SHITOI!"  He spoke the spell of fire. The body briefly lit up, and when the glare had dissolved from his eyes, the man noted with satisfaction that there was only a bit of ash left, that was being swept away by the draft coming from the thin roofs holes. "Blood would merely attract them here. Now I suppose I must destroy the blood in the tower, and your head as well. See what a fuss you have created?"