Romance Fan Fiction / Realism Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ Vampire Castle ❯ A Bit of History ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The school Uveriver lies on an island in the center of the Zekoi River. The only way to get there, or to leave, is via the spelled boats or the escape tunnel under the river. It is completely closed off from the outside world, save for the letters sent off and received once a month, infrequent visits, and the occasional new or graduating student.
Uveriver is large, a former castle of the Kingdom of Old. When the Kingdom fell, the place was deserted. All floors above the second, and all of the seven towers, have been blocked off; no human has entered these forbidden areas in over five hundred years. The only part of the castles underground that hasn't been blocked off as well or caved in is the escape tunnel.
The castle has seven towers, each a different width and height. In order from smallest to largest, they are called Xxnekorb, Nosra, Espilce, Enotshtrae, Eulbpeed, Evolretaw, and Riaper. The meanings of the names have been lost through time, although it is said each represents an element or force of nature.
The library contains every book ever used in the Kingdom of Old, but almost all are in the lost language of Egaugnal. There are also novels, dictionaries, reference materials, and any other form of written art and literature imaginable. After the fall of the Kingdom, Uveriver was abandoned, but once re-inhabited new books were added; therefore a period of history of over five hundred years is missing.
While the castle was originally built to house over six hundred people, it can now only hold one hundred and is occupied by only five teachers, two kitchen supervisors, and fifty three students. The reason for its lack of boarders, despite its excellent reputation and famous graduates, is fear. Fear of the attacks that occur once every four years. Attacks by vampires.
 
Vampires in and of themselves are not 'evil'.   Vampires are comparable to wolves; they do what they must to survive. And yet they are also similar to humans, in both form and mind, the chief difference being physical capabilities and a vampires bloodlust. Formerly, all of the original vampires were human. Unfortunately, all of the 'originals' have passed on, by both natural and unnatural forces, and so no one remembers how they changed, or how to change them back- not even they themselves.
It is human nature to fear the unknown and different. And so a rift has grown between the two species; humans know little of them, and in turn they little of humans. Vampires have the ability to choose if those they feed on make the transformation, but due to the trauma of the experience most unwittingly force it to the back of their sub-consciousness, forgetting that it happened. And so no mortal knows this.
Vampires long for the life stolen from them even before they entered the womb. And so they must drink blood, but can only drink that which would have been accepted into their bodies were they alive.
They also cannot cross running water- except once every four years, when the moon temporarily loses its purifying power.