Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Awakening Angel ❯ Temptations and Weakness ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: Same as before.. *sigh* I still don't own the Ronin Warriors. I still do own Shara, Miaka, Kenji, and the new Dynasty people that'll start showing up pretty soon. And I think I want to own Kento's seemingly endless supply of hamburgers. Oh, and there's a reenactment in here. If you can spot it, yay. If you can't, don't worry about it. Isn't important. Some of you may call it cheating… I call it paying homage to one of my favorite authors. So nyah. =P

Temptation and Weakness

"Faster! Harder!" Rowen demanded.

"I... I can't..."

"Yes, you can, Shara. Try it again!" He raised his fighting stick and set back in a defensive stance. "If you want to get your son back, you can't depend on us the entire time. We may become distracted by other battles, forcing you to fight alone. And if that happens, you're doomed. You depended on your armor for power, and now that it's gone, you're helpless." He jabbed her in the side with his staff. "Now. Try it again. Hold nothing back and attack me."

"Rowen..."

"Attack me!"

She swung the stick at his head, then whipped it down toward his knees. A perfect feint, in her opinion. Rowen easily knocked the blow aside.

"Pathetic. I saw that coming when you first moved. You telegraph your moves; your eyes give everything away." He snapped his staff forward and cracked it against her knees. "See? Never let your opponent know where you will strike next. Keep your eyes on the their face and attack and defend on instinct. Don't let you eyes stray to where you want to land a blow, or your enemy will block every one."

Shara looked up at him from the ground. "You could've broken my knees, dummy." She grabbed her stick and used it to push herself up. Her legs shook as they tried to keep her from falling. "This is just training; you don't have to hurt me, you know."

He shook his head. "Shara, we don't have much time. And your skills need massive improvement. I don't have the time to teach you gradually. You have to learn to defend yourself. If that means I have to endanger you, or even injure you, until you finally start getting it right, then that's what I'll do." Rowen knocked the staff away from her and sighed as she fell face-first onto the ground.

She rolled over and groaned. "Can we just quit for the day? I can't even stand, Rowen..."

He kneeled beside her and nodded. "Yeah, Shara. We can stop sparring. We still have a lot of work to do over the next couple of days, but I guess you've been beat up enough for today."

"You're not kidding. I don't even want to move." She struggled to sit up, pain etched across her face. "Okay, help needed."

Rowen laughed. "Sorry." He slipped his arms underneath her body and cradled her against him. Standing, he carried her back to the house. "We'll start training again tomorrow. You'll get the hang of fighting again."

---------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------

"Good!" Rowen stepped back. "You're learning quickly, Shara."

She grinned. "Shut up and get back to work! Compliment me later."

He shifted position--only slightly, but now he was in a fighting stance. The fight was now serious. Shara had learned that Rowen would try to disarm her first, most likely by breaking the wrist of her dominant hand. After that he'd go for nerve centers and other critical points. She had to guard against those kinds of attacks at any cost.

A minute change in Rowen's posture alerted her, and then they both began to move.

He swung his stick up and down in a perfect arc, aiming for her right wrist. Shara blocked easily with her own staff and felt the shock as the two snakewood staves clashed. She instantly changed her grip and tried for a trap, but he whipped his stick out of the way and stood facing her again.

She feinted toward his wrist and then tried to sweep his legs out from under him. He blocked and tried for a trap. She escaped that move and danced backward. The two began to circle each other warily, each looking for any opening in the other's defenses.

"You see the beauty of the staff? It is the most versatile weapon in the world. With a staff, you can fine-tune the degree of pain or injury caused. You can disarm and control attackers and can inflict pain without causing permanent injury. It's a strong weapon, a noble weapon. But the world shuns it for the knife or gun. Sad, really."

She grinned at Rowen. "Is lecturing all you can do? Come on, boy. Make your move." Her feet whispered over the worn wooden floor. She felt proud to be learning from such a talented fighter. If things went well, she could soon become a master of the weapon. Just like he was.

He went for a head strike. She blocked it and wood clashed with a sharp crack. Shara twisted her stick sharply, got leverage on his, and whipped it down, holding it against his upper thighs.

Rowen slipped out of the trap quickly. The moment her stick was free of his, she snapped it up again, reversing her grip and thrusting toward his eyes. He deflected her thrust forcefully. She attacked again, a strike to his throat and one to his temple. He blocked and evaded, retreating to a safer position. He countered viciously, but Shara blocked with a whirlwind of strikes, pressing him until he was against the wall.

"Letting me win, Rowen?" She flashed out a couple of attacks to keep him occupied.

"In your dreams, Shara." He grinned wickedly. Suddenly she felt a wave of energy that sent her reeling. It came from Rowen, a powerful shockwave of psychic power that hit her like a physical thing. It knocked her back two steps and made her struggle for balance.

She panted, her mind spinning. "How... how did you do that? That's not fair."

"No enemy fights fairly. And it's not even hard. All it takes it practice." He was out of the corner. Rowen went for a side sweep, taking advantage of her lack of balance. She countered automatically, but her body and mind were still ringing with pain.

"It's something you have to learn to defend against."

He threw another shockwave at her. Shara was better braced for it now, but it still rocked her nearly off her feet. Her attention faded from his weapon just long enough for him to get inside her defense.

He drove upward to catch her stick from below. Then he twisted, sweeping her staff in a circle, forcing her even farther off balance, trying to topple her backward. As Shara tried to recover, he struck to her elbow. Hard.

It was a different sound from the crisp crack of wood hitting wood. This was softer, duller, the sound of wood striking flesh and bone. Shara gasped in pain, fire shooting up her arm, into her shoulder, and she lost her grip on the stick with her right hand. She forced her fingers to close on it again, but they were numb. She couldn't feel what she was holding. She couldn't block properly with only one arm.

And Rowen was advancing. Two more strikes and he got through her guard again. The staff slammed into her ribs and she felt another wave of sickening pain.

He got her on the knee. Pain sparked up and down her leg, lighting every nerve. She had to back up. He was attacking relentlessly, forcing her to the wall.

"You can give up, Shara. If I'm too much for you to handle."

"No way. I'll never give up." She clenched her teeth, wildly trying to think of a new plan. Rowen was stronger and that blasted psychic power was dangerous. She had to use her mind, come up with something clever.

She had it. Time to trick him.

Shara stopped backing up and took a step sideways, deliberately putting herself in a position where she could only make a clumsy block. Then she gave him an opening, holding her staff awkwardly, its tip toward him but drooping too far down.

"My elbow... It hurts..." She willed him to believe her. It's making me too distracted... My right side is unprotected. You can come in to finish me off without trying to incapacitate me any more.

He fell for it, no longer trying to back her into the corner. Rowen was moving in for the kill. His eyes narrowed in concentration as he maneuvered for a decisive strike. A takedown to end the combat.

As he raised his staff to make the strike, Shara pulled her own stick back as if she was afraid to block, afraid of the jarring contact. She let her shoulders droop and her body sway tiredly. It wasn't hard to fake. She really was exhausted, and it was difficult to move.

Rowen made the attack she wanted, straight down. Shara slid her leading foot back, shifting just out of range. His staff whistled by her nose. Before he could raise his stick to defend himself, she lunged. She put all the power of her body behind it, all her strength, slipping in between Rowen's arms and driving the staff into his midsection. The air in his lungs exploded out in a harsh gasp and he doubled over.

Shara didn't hesitate. By the time he was completely bent over she was already whipping her stick out and around to strike him behind the knee. Again, she put her whole weight behind the blow, following through to scoop him onto his back.

Rowen landed with a thud. Before he could move, Shara snap-kicked hard, catching his wrist and knocking his staff away. It clattered across the floor. Then she held the pointed end of her own stick to his throat.

"I win," she said smugly.

Rowen merely smiled up at her. "Did you?"

She saw his pupils dilate and braced herself, shifting her stick minutely to push into his collarbone as she leaned forward. Another wave of energy smashed into her. She could almost see it now. It was like the downrush of a nuclear cloud, the part that went flowing along the ground, destroying everything in its path, spreading in a circle from the point of impact. It seemed a faint blue color, the same as Rowen's dazzling eyes. And it still packed quite a punch.

Shara gritted her teeth and hung on to the fighting stick, keeping it in place, letting the energy wash through her. It blew her hair back as if it were a hot wind. It seemed to last forever.

When it was finally over, she was tingling with pain. And Rowen was still trapped.

"Anything else you care to try?" She grinned down at him. Every bruise on her body hurt afresh in the aftermath of the blast--but she wasn't going to let that show.

"No. But this battle isn't over yet. It won't end until one of us gives up. And I certainly won't do that. I'll just lay here and recharge my energy so I can let loose another blast. You'll succumb to your wounds eventually."

"You don't know when to quit, do you?"

"You're not supposed to give up in battle, Shara. It's always a fight to the death."

She grabbed his wrist and locked it, with her hand holding his and her stick on top of his wrist. She could use leverage here to cause severe pain or to break the bone.

"Give up, Rowen."

"Sorry, but no."

She didn't want to break his wrist, but she knew she had to. And soon, before he regenerated enough to hit her again. She couldn't take another of those blasts. Shara put enough pressure on his wrist to really hurt him, hoping he would just give up and end the battle. When he just continued to smile, she put on even more pressure. She could tell it was hurting him by the pain in his eyes. It was hurting her to keep the steady pressure up. Shooting stars of pain were zinging in her elbow.

I have to do it, she thought sadly. She tensed her muscles, preparing to snap his wrist.

Rowen took a quick breath, a hiss of pain. His eyes lost their brilliant glow, unfocusing as he winced. Shara let go of his wrist and collapsed to sit beside him, breathing hard.

"What are you doing?" He stared at her in amazement.

"I don't know… I just... I couldn't go through with it, Rowen. I can't hurt you."

"I didn't surrender. It isn't over."

"I know, I know... Go ahead. Blast away. Cripple me. Kill me. Whatever you want."

"You like pain or something?"

"Yeah, that's it, Rowen." She turned to face him, eyes blazing with anger. "I love pain! Can't get enough of it! Come on, give it to me, baby."

He sat up and shook his head, laughing,. "You are positively insane." He paused and gazed at her thoughtfully for a while. "So. Why didn't you do it?"

"Because I knew you wouldn't give up, even if I did break your wrist. I'd have to break every bone in your body, and that wasn't a pleasing thought. And I was also pretty scared of that bloody psychic power of yours."

"I could teach it to you, you know. It really isn't that hard. None of the other Ronins can do it, but... well, maybe you can."

"I doubt that. If Ryo can't do it, there's no way I can." She looked up at the ceiling and smiled. "Want to get this fight going again?"

He was staring at her hand gripping the snakewood staff. Shara tried to keep that hand steady, but she could feel the fine tremors in the muscles. She took a deep breath and clenched her teeth, making her gaze challenging.

I can fight again. I can do it because I have to. I have to show Rowen that I'm not a wimp... That I can still fight. This time I won't let any sympathy get in the way of beating him. I have to win.

He looked back at her, the amused smile still on his face. "No. I'll give in. No more fighting."

For some reason, that angered her. Injured her pride, perhaps. "Why? Because I'm tired? Because you don't think I can beat you?" She whipped the stick up, ready to shatter his skull.

"Because you've lost your mind." That maddening smile refused to go away. "And you won fairly the first time. It's over. No big deal."

She stared at him and slowly lowered the staff. "You just don't want me to beat you up any more." A smile tugged at the corners of her mouth.

"Yeah, that's it." He stood up and offered his hand to her. "Come on. Let's go in and get something to eat. Cye's probably fixed a feast."

She took his hand gratefully and stood on unsteady legs. They started toward the training hall's door that would lead them outside. From there it was just a short walk to the house. Suddenly, her injuries became overwhelming and Shara collapsed to the ground. Rowen hurriedly fell to his knees beside her.

"Shara! Are you alright?" His dark eyes were wild with worry.

She tried to sit up again, wincing at the sparks of pain shooting through every part of her body. "Just a few broken ribs. No big deal," she joked weakly. "Thanks a lot."

He leaned forward and began to go over her body with his expert touch. "Can you move everything? Is your arm broken? Do you feel any numbness?"

"I can move everything just fine... well, except for my right arm, of course. But I think it's just really badly bruised. It should be okay in a few days. And I only wish that I was numb somewhere. Anywhere."

He looked ashamed. "I'm sorry, Shara. I just wanted to teach you how to fight. I guess I got a bit carried away, huh?" Rowen's eyes were dark with unhappiness. Sadder than she had ever seen him before.

"You can say that again. But I'll be okay, Rowen. Don't worry. I'm a tough girl, after all." She tried to smile to reassure him, but it died as another wave of pain swept over her.

"Yes, you are... But you're still hurt. I'm so, so sorry..." He touched her cheek, looking pained. She suddenly felt dizzy, as if she were falling from some great height. His eyes were fixed on her face, and they were all Shara could see. The rest of the world was a blur. All that could be heard was his soft breathing, all that could be felt was the gentle touch of his hand.

"Shara..."

They were leaning toward one another. The sensation of falling intensified, and Shara had nothing to hold onto but him. And then Rowen's arms were around her and she felt his warm mouth touch hers.

The kiss was sweet and gentle. Shara began to relax in Rowen's arms, her arms encircling him before she realized what she was doing. Their hearts beat in unison, each pounding with the passion building between them. This was nothing like kissing Sage. With him, she felt safe and secure. But with Rowen… A tremor rushed through her, setting her entire body on fire. This was exciting, invigorating, dangerously pleasurable. It suddenly struck her that this was wrong, but that only added to the excitement.

Anything forbidden is exciting, Shara.

Now she could sense his mind, his thoughts, and apparently he could hear hers as well. Rowen, going through her mind, seeing all her thoughts, her fears, her darkest fantasies. It was a terrifying thought, yet she craved it intensely. Someone to finally know and understand everything about her. She blew away the smoke screen that shielded the deepest parts of her mind and invited him inside.

Are you sure, Shara? I don't know… I don't know if I should…

She tried to draw him into her mind. I'm certain, Rowen… Please. I need… I need someone to understand me… I need… no… I want you to see all there is to see. Maybe you can understand better than even I can.

As soon as she thought it, he let his mind flow into hers, brushing her thoughts as lightly as a butterfly's wings. His essence was so strong, full of bright optimism, vibrant with the power of life. But the strongest part of all was his fierce protective feelings toward her. He'd ceased trying to fight against the connection; he was giving himself to her completely. She responded in the only way she could: by surrendering her last doubts and allowing her thoughts to freely stream into his mind. His happiness nearly overwhelmed her. His thoughts embraced hers, holding her mind as gently as his arms held her body.

Suddenly a dark wind swept into both their minds, shattering the illusory world in which they had been wrapped. They were torn apart, though each clung to the other desperately. Their quiet little world vanished and Shara and Rowen were snapped back into reality.

"What the heck is the matter with you two? I called your names five times." Ryo was staring at them both, his eyes wide. "It's like… you were in some kind of crazy trance."

Shara lifted her head from Rowen's shoulder and looked up at the black-haired Warrior, relieved that they had stopped kissing at some point. "I… I don't know. We were training… and then we stopped. I was hurt… we were walking… I fell… And then…" Her eyes narrowed in thought. "I don't know what happened. It was like… I just wasn't here any longer. Weird."

Rowen continued to hold Shara gently. "You must have passed out, hon. All that pain must've just shocked your system and made you faint."

"Only one problem with that theory, Rowen." Ryo tilted his head thoughtfully. "You were completely out of it, too."

"I think I can explain that, too. I used my psychic energy three times. It must've drained all my mind's energy and made me pass out, too. Shortly after Shara did, apparently."

"Uh-huh. Right." His bright blue eyes narrowed. "Very, very strange…"

"Yeah." Rowen stood slowly, brushing dust off his loose-fitting white pants. "Very strange, indeed. Oh, well. Hey, what did you come out here for anyway, Ryo?"

"Oh. Right." Ryo shook his head, the puzzlement vanishing from his face. "Cye wanted me to come tell you two that lunch's ready. To come and get it before Kento eats it all. So. Message delivered. You two gonna come?"

Shara nodded. "Yeah, just a minute. As soon as I can limp my way back to the house."

"Man, what did you do to her, Rowen?" Then Ryo grinned. "No need to worry, Miss Shara. You've got two big, strong Ronins by your side! Walking isn't necessary." He scooped her up off the ground and stepped out the door. "Come on, Rowen! Don't get left behind!"

"I'm coming, I'm coming…" Rowen stared at the ground, his eyes shining with wonder. "What was that…? How did it happen…?" Running his fingertips over his lips, he smiled. He could still taste her kiss. If nothing else, the dreamlike world in which they had been enveloped only served as proof that there was something very special between the two of them. Something that maybe even Sage couldn't overcome. The thought made Rowen's smile grow even wider.

"Rowen!"

"Yeah. I'm coming." He tore his eyes from the floor. With one last smile, the tall blue-haired man walked out, shutting the door behind him.

Sunlight streamed in through the hall's windows, filling the empty room with the brilliant light of day.

Unnoticed by the Warriors, a spot on the floor was in shadow, throbbing with dark energy. The very place where Rowen and Shara had shared their embrace. A tall man rose out of the floor, his black and red armor incongruent with the brightness of the sunlit room. He chuckled darkly, a twisted grin on his face, before he vanished.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Notes: Intrigued? Wondering what's next? Hmm… you're not the only one. >_< I don't have any idea where to go from here. I'm not even sure if I should keep that last part… I don't want anyone to think that Shara and Rowen's feelings are evil…! *pouts* Oh, well. Guess it's too late to change anything now, huh? ^_^ Besides, I'm sure I can weasel my way out of that assumption some how. Anyway, tell me what ya think so far. If I get even one good review, I'll write another part. Without it… eh, I'll probably write another chapter anyway. ^_^ Even if no one reads my stuff! Persistence will draw me some readers, some day. … I hope.