Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Dreamless Love ❯ The Past ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Notes: I have not written anything for a VERY long time and I'm just trying to get back to doing this after being inspired reading some stories from Split Persona. This idea has been in my mind for awhile and I just thought I would try this writing thing one more time just for the heck of it. If people like this thus far, I'll continue to write it. I have chapter up to five done in my hand and it may take me awhile to type…or to find time to type that is. Also to consider, this chapter consist of a lot of flashback so they will be recognized by // // marks. Thoughts are recognized as ``Anyways…on with the important stuff instead of my rattling.
Dreamless Love
Prologue _____
By: Life the Fay_____
 
Disclaimer: I do not own the YST/RW character. They were created by Sunrise and all those special people.
 
 
<><><><><><><><>& lt;><><><><><><><>
 
In the depth of midnight lie many asleep, dreaming things they desire, fear. Even some things that lay forgotten in their minds and heats. Amongst those dreams, some find sleep to be hopeless to gain for many uncounted reasons. In one particular house, a young man no more than twenty-five sat in the small apartment kitchen, staring at the small fish on the second hand of the clock moving around it its usual pattern.
 
Shin Mouri, the loving and trusting warrior of the Suiko armor could not sleep on this cool fall night. Images of their last battle triggered in his mind when he would close his eyes and were being repeated in the dead of silence. It had been two years since that battle. Two very long peaceful years…or at least to a certain blue haired friend it had been. The rest of the comrades found it to be sorrowful and outright the most pain staking years of their lives.
 
Looking down at his already cold coffee, he recalled that day two years ago as if it was just that very day.
 
//Nausti,Shin, Ryo and Seiji sat in the small restraint discussing their days, waiting for the bearer of Tenku to rush into the building any minute.
 
“Seiji, I thought by now you would have taught him not to be late all the time,” Nausti exclaimed, sipping at her cappuccino.
 
Seiji sighted. “Nausti-san, I may have encouraged him to do some things differently but I can't change all of his habits, especially since he's so stubborn.”
 
Shu snickered. “And how do you `encourage' him to do better oh great Blondie-sex?”
 
Seiji smirked. “Do you want to say that again so Touma can hear it?”
 
Shu yelped, feeling the sting of Touma's hand smacking him behind the head. “He doesn't need to repeat it. I heard it loud and clear,” he stated, taking his seat next to his koibito. “Sorry I'm late but Kayura just wouldn't stop flirting with the taxi driver.”
 
“You being late is my fault now? You who sat in that library five minutes AFTER you were late. He refused to leave until he finished that damn book,” Kayura ranted.
 
Touma shrugged, smiling sheepishly. “I just wanted to finish the chapter. Besides it's my favorite series.”
 
Seiji smiled warmly, placing his hand on the archer's. “Don't worry Touma-chan. You came, that's all that matters. And if you want, we'll stop at the book store and buy it when this is all over,” he said calmly, handing Touma the menu. “Is there anything you want?”
 
Touma shrugged. “You order for me. I've had enough talking to women today,” he stated, glaring at Kayura from across the table.
 
She chuckled, batting her eyelashes at her friend. “I know you love me Touma-san!”
 
Shin cleared his throat, getting the attention of everyone sitting at the table. “Well, I guess Touma and Kayura have had an interesting day so far. Ryo, what was it that you asked all of us to come for?”
 
Ryo stirred his soda with his straw, a thoughtful look in his eye. “I hate to call all of you from your lives to tell you this but- “He stopped, watching the waitress sit Touma's soda and dessert on the table, along with Kayura's.
 
“But what Ryo?” Nausti questions, trying to bring Ryo back into focus.
 
“I think a new battle has begun,” Ryo answered, taking a drink to quench his parch throat.
 
“What? Another battle? How? Why?” Touma started, ever seeming to finish a thought or a sentence for that matter.
 
“I had a dream last night about a powerful conjurer who challenged us in battle. I thought it was just a dream until I saw this,” Ryo began, unwrapping his hand that had gone unnoticed by the group. On the back of his hand lie a small kanji.
 
“Yume…dream? What does that have to do with anything?” Shu thought out loud, resting his head on his hand.
 
“I don't know but I remember he grabbed my hand in the dream and it burned my skin. When I woke up, I found it there.”
 
“Is this yume a threat to us Kayura?” Seiji asked, staring at their former enemy.
 
“Never have I heard of this before and I haven't heard any reports on escapees from the nether realm,” she stated, looking carefully at Ryo's hand. “Did he say anything else to you?”
 
Ryo nodded. “He wanted us sundown at the park.”
 
“Then we don't have much time left. Troopers, get down there now!”//
 
Shu sat in his room awake, staring at a picture that had been in storage for two years now. He also, like his friend Shin, could not sleep. Instead, he looked through an old album until he stopped on a picture of Seiji and Touma holding each other and smiling. It was a picture taken on their fifth anniversary together as a couple-the last picture of them taken together before sundown had happened, changing their lives completely for the worst.
 
//The five troopers stood in the wooden area of the park, away from the traffic of people, wearing their sub-armor. They had been waiting for awhile for the conjurer to come.
 
Shu smiled, clasping his hands together. “Well, I guess the guy chickened out on us,” he alleged, looking at his fellow comrades.
 
Some chuckled behind them catching their attention. “No quite yet Kongo no Shu,” the stranger replied. The scenery changed around them shifting from a forestry area to a field.
 
“Shit Shu, why did you have to say that!” Touma yelled over the roar of people and weapons clashing into the weapons.
 
“Why did you have to say anything at all?” Seiji added.
 
“There's no time for stupid, sarcastic comments. Troopers to arms!” Ryo ordered, already having the Rekka armor on, clashing swords amongst the fools who fought against them.//
 
From the apartment Shin and Shu shared together, Ryo, the leader of the troopers, sat in his living room watching the TV, not paying much attention to the screen until he heard the announcement of a missing person. Thoughts of the bearers of Tenku and Kourin raced through his mind like lightning. Tears of guilt formed in his eyes. `Why did it have to be them of all people.'
 
//It seemed the Troopers were beginning to have the upper hand of the battle, as Ryo searched sought his friends through the mind link. He had to make sure that all of them were alright and that they knew that to move forward. Shin and Shu were the first to meet back with the “fearless leader” as they called him.
 
“It is so nice to finally see a familiar face again,” Shin commented with his famous cheerful smile.
 
“You can say that again. Has anyone seen Touma…and Seiji?”Ryo asked, walking forward with his other two comrades.
 
“Touma's over the hill ahead of us, checking for more gunnies. Seiji I think is somewhere near him trying to back Touma up and making it a little easier for us.”
 
Shu reported. “They'll be here shortly. Touma says he can see us from where he is.”
 
Ryo smirked, putting one of his katanas away. “Good. It'll be nice to have a break. My back is killing me!”
 
Just as it seemed Ryo's words were said, more troops came in out of no where. The trio just stood there in shock, preparing for another fight for their lives.
 
“First Shu and now you Ryo-I invoke that you two are not allowed to talk until this is all over,” Shin snapped. “You're the worst jinxes in the planet.”
 
As they watch the soldiers surround them, they could hear the mental screams of Touma. :Shin, Shu, Ryo, Seiji-HELP!:
 
Ryo closed his eyes, knowing he had to make the hard choice. “I'm sorry Touma but not this time,” he said quietly under his breath, charging forward toward the soldiers, and sword in hand.//
 
Nausti took a sip of her hot tea, reading furiously through ancient research and documents her uncle had left her before his death. After the last two yeas, the woman who had given the troopers a home and a family with her, sought reasons for what happened. All the paths she found though had lead to a dead end. In frustration, she laid her head down in her hands staring at the coffee cup. Tear wielded up in her eyes, remember the significance of that coffee cup. It was Seiji's favorite when he lived with her. Two years had gone by since that battle and the troopers came back to visit their `sister' as they called her, however, each time, Seiji never dibbed to have that cup like he usually did. And from what she could tell from the situation, she never would again.
 
//Nausti sat on a swing in the park, waiting for the Troopers to come back. The sun had already sat and the moon had risen from its slumber. She sighed, pulling her hair away from her shoulders.
 
“Kayura, its getting late and I haven't heard anything from the guys. I'm really getting worried. Shouldn't we check on them and see if they're okay,” she advised, looking over to Kayura who also sat on one of the swings with her.
 
Blue haired woman looked out into the woods, then back at Nausti. “I think you're right Nausti-san. They have been out too long with no noise for my liking,” she replied, stepping off the swing. She extended her hand to Nausti. “Come, we shall not take light with us for fear of setting alarm. For now, I'll be your eyesight.”
 
Nausti nodded, letting the smaller woman lead her around. If she found this all to be a joke, she would burn them all alive and feed them to Byaunka in minutes.
 
Roaming the park for what seemed like an eternity, Kayura halted. “Well, this is weird,” she whispered in the night.
 
Nausti squinted in the darkness but could not see what the older woman saw. “What is?”
 
Kayura kneeled near a tree. Mia looked closer and gasped when she saw Ryo with his eyes closed. “They all are asleep…but why?” The touched the bearer of Rekka's forehead. She gasped, standing up suddenly.
 
“What is it Kayura?” Nausti asked urgently, wanting to know what was going on with her friends.
 
“It seems that all of them are fighting in the dream realm. Why-I really don't know. It makes no sense to me…I have seen things heard of it being done before but not like this,” the blue haired woman commented, shaking her head. “I must aid them at once.”
 
“Seiji-NO!” was shouted, frightening the two women who turned just in time to see a bright flash of light engulf the warrior of light. Moments later Rekka, Suiko, Kongo and Tenku flashed their respected colors as the four gasped for air.
 
“Ugh…I feel like I got hit by a semi truck. Where are we?” Shu asked, sitting upright slowly.
 
Nausti smiled, relieved to hear the four of them groaning. It gave her encouragement that the four of them were alive and hanging on. “You're back in wooden area of the park.”
 
Ryo looked around, holding his head. “Was it-was it all just a dream?” Ryo muttered. “Where's Seiji?”
 
Kayura turned her head toward the place where Touma stood, hearing a silent intake of a sob. He already knew the answer to it and it tore to her heart. “Ryo, it wasn't just a dream. What happened, happened in the dream realm to you guys happened here to you guys as well.” She heard the sobs grow louder.
 
“Touma, why are you crying?” Shin asked, becoming concerned over his younger friend.
 
Touma turned his head, trying to hide his own grief. “I saw it with my own eyes. Seiji….Oh god…why him?”
 
Nausti walked over to Touma, holding him to her. She looked at the other three warriors. “I hate to tell you this but, Seiji's gone.”
 
The rest of the night at the Trooper Mansion, no words were spoken. Touma stayed outside of his bedroom window looking out toward the stars since the others took his orb for fear that he would use it to escape or worse. Ryo stayed in the den, petting Byakuen nervously, trying to keep hopes that Seiji would return soon. Shin and Shu stayed downstairs in the living room and kitchen watching TV. They couldn't just dwell on the idea of Seiji disappearing.
 
The battle may had ended for the remaining night however for the Troopers, it seemed like the real battle had just began.//
 
Kayura lie in bed, holding the sleeping form of Touma in a tight embrace. She had woke from the sounds of his screaming and rushed to his side to comfort him. It seemed to have become the ritual for every night since the incident two years ago. The trial had caused pain to the whole Trooper family but seemed to of troubled the archer the most.
 
She sighed. `Of course it troubled him most, Seiji was the brother-in-arms, his confidant, his love. He didn't just lose Seiji but also lost a part of himself,' she thought silently to herself. It pained her to see her best friend live his life in suffering. And the worst part was he didn't even know why.
 
//Two months had gone by since the Troopers woke from their battle. Two months since the disappearance of Date, Seiji.
 
During that time, the remaining comrades picked up the small pieces left behind by the blonde. They had given up all hope for him to return. After searching for a month and giving up, Touma faced the Date family by himself, canceled the blonde's registration at the college he attended, sold his small green sports car and did all of the other small tad-bits that needed to be done.
 
Touma rarely eat or slept and when he did, he would wake up screaming the blonde's name. Even walking into his and Seiji's apartment became impossible with Touma crying and begging to leave.
 
Nausti invited Touma to stay with her again, hoping to bring back some cheer and life to him once more. He compiled however only if Kayura could come as well. And so it was.
 
Weeks after Nausti's invitation, Kayura sat in the breakfast nook, jamming to her CD player, tapping and lip singing the song. Looking over at the clock on the over, she grinned. “Its 10:00! Time to wake up little Touma-chan!” she exclaimed.
 
The blue haired lady leaped up the stairs, slamming the door open and jumped on the archer's bed. Planting a sloppy kiss to Touma's cheek, she grinned sheepishly. “Time to join the land of the living Touma-chan!”
 
No response.
 
“Touma baby, don't ignore me and pretend you're still asleep-Wake up!”
Still no response.
 
“Touma?” concern for the blue haired man had risen as she checked his breathing a pulse.” Normal…uhm…”
 
Leaning it to Touma's forehead, she closed her eyes, connecting to the archer through the mind link. She was surprised to find him them along with another all too familiar person-the first bearer of the heaven's armor-Tenku.
 
Touma looked just as surprised. “Kayura-san? What are you doing here?”
 
“I could ask you the same thing Touma? What are you doing here with Tenku?” Kayura replied, suspicious by the two.
 
The two blue haired men looked at each other before Touma sighed in defeat, walking over to Kayura. “I can't do it anymore Kayura. I can't live knowing Seiji isn't here…and I won't ever see him again. It kills me not to know exactly where he is…if he's dead or alive, lovely, scared, cold…I can't feel him anymore! The bond we once shared has completely dislodged. I feel so….so empty without him.”
 
“Touma-chan that's normal when someone loses some dearly but you got to keep going for Seiji's sake,” Kayura stated, walking forward to embrace the archer. “Going into such a deep state of meditation is not what you need to be doing at this moment.”
 
Tenku cleared his throat, returning the two to his attention. “Could I have a word with you Lady Kayura before you depart,” Tenku asked, stepping away from Touma and toward a small clearing. She followed him, sitting on a small boulder beside a koi pond. “I regret to inform you but Touma has asked to stay here.”
 
“Well, I hate to let you know this Tenku but I can't allow that. He belongs with the living Rekka, Suiko, and Kongo. You must understand, having once lived with trials such as this yourself,” she stated her point, smiling sadly at the first bearer of Touma's armor.
 
The blue haired man nodded. “I have told him that but he won't listen.”
 
“Thus he gets his stubbornness from you Blue,” Kayura sarcastically said.
 
The former warrior rolled his eyes at the comment and nickname. “Anyways, we have talked about this issue and now he has brought to my attention that he will go back only if he could forget EVERYTHING that has happened with the bearer of Kourin.”
 
Blue/grey eyes meet midnight blue in utter shock. “That can't happen? It's impossible!”
 
“On the contrary my friend, it is possible. It has happened before over the generations. Rekka, Suiko and Kongo bearers have done it before,” Tenku replied, turning to look at Touma.” Under the circumstance that I am being put in, I don't have much of a choice but to accept. He will return shortly with no memory of Date, Seiji and the armor of Kourin.”
 
“You're allowing this Tenku?! I though you were wiser than this!” anger surged through her veins. “To do that will not just take this horrid memory but also all the good things he remembers of Seiji. Can't you see that?”
 
“I KNOW that and so does he. He has made his choice.,” Touma snapped. “It is the only compromise I can make with his stubborn head. The only thing I can do is respect his wishes.”
 
Kayura sighed. “Then I have no choice but to accept also.” Tenku nodded. “I just so mad at his own foolishness at the moment. I expect more out of him that this.”
 
“So did I Lady Kayura…so did I,” Tenku agreed, bowing his head. “There is one last thing I must let you know before you leave.”
 
What is it?//
 
Two years later Seiji was still gone with no trace of him and Touma knew nothing of him or of the armor. Before Touma awoke from his meditation the next day, Nausti and Kayura worked hard to remove all evidence of their once being a fifth Trooper who bore the kanji courtesy, way a loyal friend, and a lover. It was a task they all hated and would later regret but it had to be done for their fear of what might happen if Touma found anything of it.
 
“You must throw all things away of Date, Seiji. If Touma sees it in this condition, he could remember the blonde. From there, it could lead to his insanity or worse his own destruction,” was Tenku's last warning to Kayura and the Troopers.
 
Although Touma did not know Seiji, Kayura knew he dreamed of him often. The blue haired archer often talked to her about his dream of a blonde haired man who often fought by his side or just talked to him in solitude. Never did he know the man's name.
 
Touma shifted, turning to face Kayura, awake. “You're still here?”
 
“Of course I am. I have to protect you from the boogey man, remember Touma-chan?” Kayura grinned, tweaking his nose. “Did you have another dream?”
 
He sat up in his bed, staring around his room in the apartment he shared with his former enemy and now best friend. “Yea…Ryo, Shin, Shu and I were in the middle of a battle when all of a sudden they vanished and I was left alone with the enemy. The enemy formed a portal saying I would join him shortly. I tried to run away but I couldn't-my body was moving unwillingly toward the portal. Just then, I was lunge out of the way. The blonde haired warrior came to my rescue, kissed my cheek and told me he loved me no matter what. And then he vanished into the portal. He took my place.”
 
The woman stiffened, realizing who her friend was talking about. “You need to remember Touma that it's just a dream. It didn't happen,” She commented, hating the fact that she was lying to her friend. `Ha! You've been lying to him for two years-why not add more to the plate?' She thought bitterly.
 
In the darkness, Touma nodded, lying back down, inviting her to do the same. They lie there in silence thinking the other was sleeping soundly again.
 
“Kayura?”
 
“Uhm…yes Touma.”
 
“There was one more thing that happened.”
 
“What?”
 
He scouted closer. “In the dream tonight, after he stepped in the portal….well….I watch him go and felt this deep sorrow. I could feel tears sting my eyes and my heard seemed like it was ripping apart. There was only one word that came to my mind…or rather a name.”
 
“-What was it Touma? The name that is?” Kayura closed her eyes, fearing the worst to happen.
 
“Seiji.”
 
 
<><><><><><><><>& lt;><><><><><><><>
 
Yea! I finished the first chapter-how exciting. Please review if you want this to continue. I only work if people like the story! ^_^