Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ Embers of the Heart: ❯ chapter 01 – Hand Offs ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own yoroiden samurai troopers
A/N: (not beta'd)
 
 
Embers of the Heart:
chapter 01 - Hand Offs
 
 
For a moment the forest had gone into a stand still. There was a dead quiet silence that rang through out the trees. Seiji stood over his friend. All it ever took was one wrong move and the blonde would always find a way in. Although he never took it further than a simple hit. Shin lay defenseless with some tears in his clothes. Speechless and a bit confused at the series of attacks he didn't dare make the first move.
 
Seiji had actually attacked him. Not just the one usual warning hit, but two three and four times in a row. Even after he had lost his weapon the blond continued to pursue him: definitely testing his acrobatic abilities. Now not only weaponless and wide open Seiji stood next to him. With his foot on his pony tail ready to finish him off. Shin searched his pale eyes for mercy. But there was no sign of anything for what seemed like a life time.
 
“I told you to stop holding back!!” Seiji said frustrated. “I know you can do better than that.” He added still keeping him pinned to the ground. “I am growing tired of this frail princess act you always have. Where is the predator in you, Shin? I refuse to spar with you any more.” Seiji said removing his foot.
 
“What are you talking about? I am doing my best. I should be asking what's wrong with you.” Shin said as he sat up.
 
“I m not going easy on you anymore you need to keep up with the rest of us. You'll end up dead if you don't push yourself.”
 
Shin adjusted his shirt. “You think I am weak or slow?”
 
Seiji watched him look around for his weapon. “Both, actually.”
 
Shin got up. “Well… how am I supposed to improve if I don't know why you think that?”
 
Seiji scowled and picked some grass off of his back. “You have to stop being so soft. Ryo, Touma and Shuu agree you need some assistance. Anyone can see right through your fluff and go strait to your weaknesses.”
 
Shin gave him an odd look.
 
“So, Ryo made arrangements with some one to help you.”
 
Shin looked a bit concerned. “Who... “
 
“… Naaza.”
 
“What?” He said shaking his head pulling out the tie in his hair.
 
“They just want you to go over there for a little while, three or four months. We think being away will help you.”
 
“Oh so you think I have been sheltered? Is that it??”
 
“It's just we can't help you. We think Naaza and the others there can give you tools you can't get from us. And we don't really have the time you need.”
 
“When are you sending me away?” Shin said pouting a bit.
 
“Don't make it sound like that, please.” Seiji said as he played with the tips of shin's hair draped on his shoulders. “You'll be leaving tomorrow.”
 
“I don't want to go. Isn't there anything I can do?”
 
Seiji looked into the sea green eyes. “There's nothing I can do either. This is the only way to help you. In the long run it will make you stronger to be on your own and with in the group.” The blond could see the uneasiness floating around in those eyes. He could always see all of his emotions through those windows: precious and always sincere.
 
“I don't want you to go either, Shin. None of us do. Listen it's only for a few months. I know you'll do fine. You're a quick learner. “
 
The blond kicked him self now however. A few months had turned into a year and a half. They had attempted to ask for him back but there was always no answer from Naaza or Shin. It was when Touma accused Naaza of keeping him captive did they make arrangements to bring him home. It wasn't the best way to prove innocence but as long as it worked they weren't going to argue.
 
Seiji and Ryo stood on the forest line waiting for them to arrive. And just like clock work they showed. Shin came out of the shadows first hesitantly. It was actually kind of a shock as he was more feminine now than when he had left dressed in silk and hair to his waist. And then the real surprise stepped out. White hair glistened in the light as he walked up to them with Shin, Rajura keeping close to him.
 
“Where's Naaza?” Ryo asked a bit confused.
 
“He had other matters to attend to. So, I thought I would escort him home.”
 
Ryo nodded as he examined Shin. “Thanks, Rajura.” Shin just looked at the ground.
 
Rajura nodded and took Shin aside a moment whispering something in his ear. Then turned, said his goodbyes and left.
 
“Wow, its good to see you again.” Ryo said getting Shins attention. Shin just nodded in return.
 
“We tried getting messages to you a few times and getting you back sooner. But they seemed reluctant to give you up.” Ryo said lightly as he led them back to the house.
 
“We got your room ready for you. I stopped and bought you a new comforter. It's supposed to be chilly the next couple of nights.” Seiji said trying to get more reactions out of him.
 
“Well, as you settle back in. I am going to go lay down until dinner.” Ryo said giving him a smile and left.
 
“Thanks Seiji.” Shin said as he stepped in his room looking around a bit.
 
“Touma and Shuu got a part time job. They'll be home late.”
 
“A job?”
 
“They had idle time.... ”
 
Shin nodded still not really looking at him.
 
“… Are you alright?” Seiji asked as he stepped inside and shut the door.
 
“Why wouldn't I be?” He forced a smile and played with his hair a bit.
 
“Because, you're really quiet.” Seiji said as he sat next to him.
 
“Oh I am sorry. I guess I just need to readjust again.” He said keeping his eyes from him.
 
Seiji watched him a moment. “Would you just please look at me?”
 
It took a few seconds but soon his emerald eyes met his. And despite his feminine appearance there was something else hidden away in his eyes. He wasn't sure what it was or if it was even something he wanted to see there.
 
“We missed you Shin and I hope you know. That it wasn't supposed to be some sort of punishment. Because you didn't do anything wrong. And I am really sorry for losing my temper the day before you left. I was wrong to do that to you.”
 
Shin let out a soft chuckle. “Since, when are you wrong, Seiji? No, I understood you were just teaching me a lesson. And believe me, I learned it.”
 
“What lesson was that?” He asked him a little sheepishly.
 
“Don't expect mercy from anyone and always follow through.” He simply explained.
 
Seiji didn't know what to say he just sat there looking at him.
 
And then he continued. “I didn't get it right away but once I realized it. It really helped me out. Every time something came up I just kept you in mind. You were right though, I wasn't very good. But, Rajura really helped me out in that department. They really taught me a lot, but it was your lesson that day. That was a basis of everything else to follow.” He said almost proud sounding.
 
Seiji felt a little uneasy. “What else did they teach you?” He was almost afraid to ask.
 
Shin thought a moment. “A lot of things I guess. I admit it was really hard at first. But as soon as I just relaxed and went with it. Things just clicked and started to make sense.”
 
“Then, what's with this?” Seiji finally asked beyond curious.
 
Shin looked at him self and smiled a bit. “Oh they gave me clothes while I was there. I guess I should change.”
 
“Your hair, is that Rajura's work?” Seiji asked as he looked at the length of it. He must not have cut it once while he was gone.
 
“He likes it yes, but I guess I had other things on my mind. I'll have it cut.”
 
“Shin if you like it, don't change it. I was just curious.”
 
Shin thought about it a moment. “I liked it a bit shorter, like when I left.”
 
Seiji nodded. “Well, I should let you be.”
 
“Why?” Shin asked as he laid his head in the blonde's lap and traced his fingertips over his knee. “I haven't seen you in so long and I missed you so much.”
 
Seiji was frozen. This wasn't his normal behavior and it made Seiji's skin tingle in a nervous tickle. “Shin… I have things I need to get done.” He fumbled in response. “Dinner, I have to go pick up dinner and get it ready. We can spend time together later. I'll rent some movies or something.” Their affection usually never went beyond a soft platonic. Although, he suppressed his emotions for him quite well it didn't mean they weren't there.
 
Shin sat up. “If that's what you want. By the way I love this comforter.” Shin said running a hand along it dismissing his recent actions.
 
Seiji felt like the air got thick. “I know you like soft things. Listen I am going to go now… “The blond informed as he watched him. “Are you going to be alright?”
 
“Sure, I may lie down to.” He smiled. “I think I am tired.”
 
Seiji nodded and left the room a bit baffled with his friend's behavior. He knew most of his quirks and loved most of them. But he seemed so different now. He thought to himself: What the hell happened? They sent him there to become independent and strong and they… They made him worse! And what was Rajura doing with him? Naaza was supposed to be watching him.
 
Seiji made sure dinner was set as Shuu and Touma came home. And made sure Ryo and Shin were called to the table. They all sat at the table except for Shin. He hadn't come down yet and they waited for him patiently. When he did come down he had found some of his own clothes. Quietly walking in, adjusting some strings on its front.
 
“There you are.” Shuu chimed. “Wow, you don't know how good it feels to see you again. Do you think you could have visited? I think they were trying to over you.” Shuu joked.
 
Shin sat down with a smile. “Good to see you to Shuu.”
 
“Well you're here to stay now buddy.” Touma assured. “Thank god to, you just complete the house hold you know.”
 
Shin gave him a smile.
 
“Yeah, besides this place is just trashed. Let's face it you kept us in line.” Ryo confessed.
 
“And I missed our runs together.” Shuu added.
 
Shin was about to say something when Touma went to reach for some food off a plate. And if it wasn't for his quick reflexes Shin would have stabbed the middle of the archers hand with a fork. It made a loud thud noise as it stuck into the table.
 
“Don't reach across the table like that. It's rude.” Shin said in an unusually stern voice.
 
“Shin!” Ryo yelled at him. “What's wrong with you?”
 
“Yeah you almost stabbed me.” Touma said holding his hand away from him.
 
“He should know better.”
 
“That's no reason to stab him.” Ryo said astonished.
 
“You almost stabbed me.” Touma said a bit freaked yet.
 
Shuu just watched in awe.
 
“Right, perhaps that was a bit harsh… “Shin said.
 
“You think? You really think so?” Touma said in shock.
 
“I said I am sorry Touma… please pass the meat down here.”
 
Touma gave him his best `what the hell look'. “No you didn't. And you can get it yourself.” He said as he got up and left the room.
 
“Shin you can't be doing things like that. You know that. What's gotten into you?” Ryo asked pushing the meat to him.
 
Shin looked a little confused for a moment. “That was… mean, wasn't it?”
 
Ryo nodded. “I think you should try making it up to him later when he cools down.”
 
Shin nodded and started to finish his meal. Ryo gave Seiji a glance and tried to act like nothing had happened. And after dinner Shin disappeared back to his room.
 
Seiji was finishing up the dishes and had already dismissed Shuu from helping him. Ryo came in and took a seat watching him put plates away.
 
“I don't know what to think about Shin.” Ryo finally said getting the blondes attention.
 
“I think it was a mistake sending him away.” Seiji said stopping to respond.
 
Ryo nodded. “What should we do about it? Is he safe to have around even?”
 
Seiji shrugged a bit. “I don't know. He's still Shin so I don't think there's any real danger.”
 
“Where you at dinner, Seiji?? He could have really hurt Touma.”
 
Seiji sighed. “Yes, I was. But we have to take into account where he was and who he was with. We don't know what all went on there. Besides that I don't think Naaza even had much to do with taking care of him. It sounds like Rajura had him most of the time. So, I think something went wrong some how while he was there.” He defended.
 
“Alright… just, try to talk to him about not doing things like that okay? Touma's still freaked out.” Ryo said getting an agreed nod in return.