Ronin Warriors Fan Fiction ❯ In The Shadow Of War ❯ Everlasting Nightmare ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

In The Shadow Of War
 
Chapter Four: Everlasting Nightmare
By: Demon Priestess Saturn
 
Cye found himself in trouble and afraid of his former comrade. Cye's right arm was pinned behind his back and his mouth was covered with Rowen's left hand. Rowen's grip was unusually tight he was never this strong before. Rowen eyed him menacingly and was trying to determine what to do with Cye next. He knew Cye was afraid of him he could sense it, he slowly backed up pulling Cye with him when he reached a tree he spun Cye around and pinned him to it.
 
“I can't believe how easy you were to catch. Your last two friends tried to put up a good fight but they failed.” Rowen replied.
“What do you want? Why are you doing this Rowen? Why did you hurt Sage and Ryo? Tell me…” Cye started to ask questioned.
“What I want is your piece of the Inferno armor. The answer to your second question is I am doing this because I have a revolution I'm started against some old enemies. The answer to your last question is they refused to join me.” Rowen replied.
“What do you mean you want my piece of the Inferno armor? I don't have a piece.” Cye said honestly.
“Oh dear Cye.” Rowen backed away from him releasing his grip on Cye. “I want the Torrent armor you should no that is a piece of Inferno.”
“The armor of Torrent…” Cye looked distant suddenly. He looked Rowen over and realized that the armor of Strata was strangely different than before. It had a green tint to the white part of his armor and red flame design on the shoulder pads he hadn't noticed before. “You want to take my armor.”
“Bingo now you figured it out. Give me the armor and join me, and you won't be harmed. Refuse and I will take your armor by force and kill you like I did to your other two friends plain and simple. Either way I get your armor… Choose wisely.” Rowen laid out the impossible decision. Cye didn't know what to do. He knew that both Sage and Ryo were lucky they weren't killed but could Rowen possibly make the same mistake a third time? In fact they weren't even sure that Ryo would make it through the night and Sage had made it. Cye still faced the nagging question if he would survive if he said no but then he thought he would defiantly die if he didn't for the plain and simple reason that Rowen obviously had both the Halo and Wildfire armor. That was obvious by the changes in Rowen's armor and by the fact Sage and Ryo seemed to be missing theirs. The only way for Cye to find out for sure was to ask Rowen or Sage. But what could he do to save his neck this time?
 
“You have Sage and Ryo's armors?” Cye questioned cautiously.
“Yes I took it from both of them.” Rowen replied proudly.
“How?” Cye continued to be weary.
“Well put yours on and I'll show you.” Rowen tried to trick him.
“No.” Cye responded and suddenly stood his ground.
“What?” Rowen seemed strangely off guard.
“I will not join you nor will I fight you and I refuse to put my armor on.” Cye replied.
“So you're just going to let me kill you without a fight? Come on Torrent so me what you're made of.” Rowen taunted some more.
“No. I will not if I put my armor on you will get it and kill me but if I don't call my armor you can't get it and if you kill me you will never get it.” Cye narrowed his eyes.
“Do you think I need you to get your armor? You are a fool I can take it from you now.” Rowen replied.
“No you can't from what I can tell the only way you can get access to the power is if I'm wearing it when you steal it. But if I'm not wearing it you don't have the chance of getting it simply because you don't hold the trust kanji.” Cye continued. “Therefore if you kill me without me wearing it you loose the armor of Torrent forever.”
“I don't like this game your playing transform before I make you.” Rowen glared.
“No I will not let you get the armor of Torrent.” Cye stood bold. Rowen began to get frustrated but deep down inside Cye could since that it was the right decision to make. He felt the real Rowen was happy about the decision Cye had made. Cye and Rowen were in a stare down and neither one was going to back off. Now it was Rowen's move and he knew it he had to convince Cye to transform but how was the question. They Cye heard his name being called he knew that he had been gone too long and Sage and Kento were out looking for him. Rowen looked over his shoulder to see the two boys at the edge of the beach they hadn't noticed him or Cye yet. As Rowen pondered whether or not to stay he decided to see if Kento would transform or not. He grabbed Cye fast making it appear that Cye was in trouble. Cye was a little surprised at the move a let out a scream of surprise. Sage and Kento glance over and spotted Rowen.
 
“Cye!” Kento started to run over there and pulled his marble out.
“Kento! Don't!” Sage shouted and tackled Kento. Rowen thought this move was surprising for the blonde not to mention for a blonde that should be dead.
“What the hell did you do that for? Sage!” Kento struggled with Kento on the ground.
“Give me your armor its for your own good.” Sage snatched the armor away from Kento and got off him.
“It's okay Kento. I'm not hurt and Sage is right, don't use your armor.” Cye replied calmly.
“What are you two talking about? Are you on his side?” Kento shouted a little. Rowen made eye contact with Sage and let go of Cye. Sage was a little surprised at this move he expected Rowen to hurt Cye like he had done to him.
“Rowen?” Sage stepped forward hoping that his friend was back to normal.
“You must have told them. You're smart Sage but you're not smarter than me. I will get those last two armors and next time I will make sure you stay dead.” Rowen narrowed his eyes. Sage backed away with some tears in his eyes. Cye got to his feet and went over by Kento. Rowen then looked to Cye and smiled in a weird way. “You're very smart Torrent but as I said before not smarter than me. I don't know which one of you will crack and transform but it will be one of you and I think I know who will be first. I haven't let you off the hook yet Torrent I'll get you one way or another.” With that Rowen jump backwards and disappeared into the trees. However he didn't go far he stayed in the tree and listened in on the boy's conversation. Sage stared in the direction Rowen had disappeared in. Kento looked over at Sage he was fuming mad.
 
“Sage! What the hell is going on!?” Kento yelled at him suddenly.
“Kento calm down it isn't Sage's fault…” Cye tried to calm his friend down.
“What do you mean it wasn't his fault! There were three of us standing here Cye! We could have taken him! But no Sage had to let him get away!” Kento was still yelling at Sage.
“Kento! He would have taken our armors! Sage has already lost his!” Cye yelled back trying to get the point back a crossed.
“What?” Kento said without yelling anymore. He looked at Sage with a questioning look. “Is that true?” Kento asked quietly. Sage was silent he stared at the sand on the beach and wouldn't say anything. Rowen looked surprised and wondered how the British boy knew not to transform if Sage hadn't told them.
“Yes it's true.” Sage was upset tears fell from his lavender eyes. “And there was nothing I could do to stop him! That's why I stopped you from transforming because he would have stolen yours. If I had known Ryo was going to sneak out in the middle of the night I would have told him. But I didn't know and it all my fault he's…” Sage couldn't take it anymore he was in sobs and he wasn't sure why maybe it was because he was really hurt by the fact Rowen had betrayed them. Suddenly Rowen had the urge to go comfort his friend.
 
“Sage.” He whispered. His sad eyes showing how sorry he was. But then he shook his head and returned to having the emotionless face. Kento didn't know what to say he had taken his anger out on Sage and didn't realize Sage was emotional unstable. He felt bad he should have known after what Rowen did Sage would easily get upset and breakdown. But Kento knew there was only one thing he could say. Sage was now sitting on the beach with his head buried in his knees. Cye was next to him but also didn't know what to say. Cye looked up at Kento but Kento was looking sadly at Sage.
 
“Sage I'm sorry I shouldn't have blown up at you. You were only trying to save my life. I'm sorry I didn't know that was why Ryo was hurt.” Kento apologized. Sage heard him but he couldn't control himself. Not only did he loose his friend he couldn't even save him in his dreams.
“Sage I still have my armor. I refused to transform and let him have it that was how I figured out you lost yours.” Cye said quietly. “I knew because Rowen's armor was different and he kept trying to get me to transform.”
“Rowen's dying…” Sage said through his sobs.
“What do you mean Rowen's dying?” Kento looked somewhat worried. Sage looked up and Cye and Kento could see how bad the emotional instability was.
“That bitch Elveria is killing him! And I can't save him… I can't save him…” Sage covered his face he had tried not to loose hope but he had lost it a long time ago. Cye and Kento looked at each other and realized Sage knew more about this problem then any of them.
“Sage you need to tell us what's going on.” Cye replied. But Kento and Cye both knew it was going to be a while before they could get anything out of Sage.
“I'm going back to the house to check on Ryo.” Kento replied and gave Cye a glance. Cye sighed because he knew he was going to have to talk to Sage. Kento had given him an almost impossible task, getting Sage to calm down was hard unless Ryo or Rowen was doing the calming. Cye knew he was up to a difficult task so he thought about what Rowen and Ryo would say and tried to go from there. Cye made one more glance at Kento as he walked down the beach and turned back to Sage. He could no long hear Sage crying but that didn't mean that he wasn't.
“Sage do you want to talk about this? I'm worried about you. I've been worried ever since me and the guys came back from partying the other night. Please lets talk about this you might feel better. Kento didn't mean to get angry at you he just can get a little overbearing before he knows the whole story.” Cye stared at Sage for a moment and he lifted his head up.
“Cye, why did you and Kento become best friends?” Sage said staring out into the forest.
“Me and Kento…Well I don't know we just did.” Cye replied.
“I mean what keeps you guys friends?” Sage looked at Cye.
“Well one theory is I cook and he eats.” Cye replied causing Sage to smile and laugh a little. “But I guess me and Kento have something to like about each other. Sure we both like to fight a lot but I really think that's why we stay friends we love to argue with each other. Why do you ask?”
“I don't know I guess I have been thinking lately about why me a Ro were such good friends.” Sage replied.
“I know the answer to that one. You and Rowen have a similar life. Rowen's father is a domineering asshole just like your father and both of you grew up in hell. Basically you both have something in common and that's good in a friendship.” Cye looked at Sage.
“Would you try and risk your life for Kento?” Sage asked.
“I would risk my life for any of you. I may not be as close to you Sage as Rowen and Ryo but I defiantly would risk my life for you. I would do the same with Kento, Rowen, and Ryo. Your all my friends and I don't reserve myself to just Kento.” Cye replied still try to find what he was looking for in his answers. Kento came within hearing range of the two and realized Cye had gotten Sage to talk. He walked up slowly and realized Sage didn't notice him there. Cye however looked up at Kento. Kento smiled to his friend and gave him a thumbs up. Then Sage continued to talk.
 
“My best friends life is in danger Cye and I don't know how I can save him. Every time I go to sleep I seem to enter Rowen's mind. Rowen's a prisoner in his own mind and it's because of this woman called Elveria. He can't break free from her see has total control over him. The last time I saw Rowen he was tied to a red panel wall and his legs were frozen in ice. I think that means Rowen is slowly dieing I have to break that ice some how but I can't get to Rowen no matter how hard I try. She has these black shadow demons all around. I can't even get within a few feet of Rowen without being killed in the dream.” Sage stared at the sand. Cye and Kento exchanged a glance.
“Do you think you can save him?” Cye asked.
“Yes I do but I just can't get to him. My armor is gone I can't use it.” Sage replied.
“Sage if this is in Rowen's mind he has control over what you can do.” Cye began causing Sage to look at him. “If Rowen thinks you have the power to beat Elveria and the shadows and if he thinks you still have your armor you should have the power to do it. All it takes is Rowen believing in you it's his mind he has control over who is weaker or stronger. But if Rowen thinks that you don't have your powers or these monsters are stronger than you then they will be more powerful then you. It's not your fault you can't save him it is up to Rowen to believe you have the power to win.” Cye finished his speech.
“Cye's right Sage if this is happening in Rowen's mind then the decision is Rowen's and Rowen's alone you have to tell him that.” Kento replied. Sage smiled.
“Thanks you guys you gave me the answer to my questions.” Sage replied.
“Yeah your welcome Sage but we have a much bigger problem. Ryo temperature has dropped another ten degrees.” Kento replied. Sage and Cye looked at each other and quickly got to their feet. The three quickly came back in the house and Sage immediately started searching the cabinets.
“What are you looking for?” Cye asked to see if he could help.
“Could you get some water boiling?” Sage glanced at Cye.
“Yeah I'll do that right now.” Cye replied and grabbed a pot.
“I'm going to give Ryo an herb tea. I think that's the only way to bring his temperature up.” Sage replied as he jumped up onto the counter and got into the top cabinet above the fridge. He pulled out a bag of spices and jumped down.
“I didn't know you kept those up there.” Cye replied putting on the water.
“Don't tell any one else there up there for this kind of emergencies.” Sage replied as he pulled out some of the herbs and began to mix them together in a small wooden bowl.
“Do you guys want me to call someone?” Kento asked coming into the kitchen.
“Call Pat she's the closest one with medical equipment.” Sage said over his shoulder.
“Okay I got ya.” Kento replied and went into the den.
“The waters boiling.” Cye replied.
“Okay go into the living room a take Ryo's shirt off. I'll be there in a minute.” Sage replied as he took an herb leaf out of the bag and stuck it in the hot water with a sprinkle of the mixture in his bowl Cye left the room to do what he was told and Kento hung up the phone.
“We have a problem she's not there.” Kento replied. Sage walked over to the fridge and grabbed the milk jug. He poured some mild into the wooden bowl and began to mix it. Kento sighed heavily with no success. Sage hearing Kento decided to give him some more ideas.
“My wallet should be on the table in there. I think Pat's cell number and her pager number. Try those…” Sage replied.
“Thanks Sage I'll try those.” Kento replied back.
“Make sure you save her pager for last because if she sees it she'll need to be able to call back.” Sage replied calmly.
“Right.” Kento replied quickly and picked up the phone again. Sage mixed the mixture until it turned into a cream, by that time the tea was ready. Sage removed the pot from the stove and purred some into a coffee cup. Then he took the wooden bowl and the teacup and walked into the living room. Setting the tea on the table Sage knelt down beside Cye; taking his hand he dipped it into the cream and began to rub it on Ryo's chest.
 
“What is that? It smells.” Cye asked.
“It's a healing cream.” Sage replied and continued to do what he was doing.
“Doesn't the smell bother you?” Cye asked.
“Nope.” Sage seemed too preoccupied to have a conversation. Cye watched Sage rub the cream on his friend glancing at Ryo for a moment he noticed Ryo twitched.
“Sage he twitched.” Cye said suddenly. Sage stopped and looked at Ryo not seeing any movement from his friend.
“Ryo?” Sage said quietly. “Ryo if you're awake let me know.”
“I guess it was just a twitch in his sleep.” Cye replied.
“Either that or the cream worked.” Sage replied.
“It works that fast?” Cye looked at him strangely.
“It's meant to give off healing vapors so it should have worked the minute I put it on his chest.” Sage replied.
“So it's like that cold cream we put on sometimes.” Cye said understanding.
“Yep.” Sage looked at Ryo again and noticed that he seemed to be waking up. Sage stood and set the bowl on the table and went into the kitchen. Washing his hands he dried them and walked back into the living room. He knelt down next to his friend again and asked Cye to move back.
“Ryo come on you got to wake up. I know it's hard for you but you got to do it.” Sage replied and shook Ryo slightly.
“Sage…” Ryo replied weakly.
“Come on you need to get up.” Sage lifted his friend up. “He's weaker then I thought.” Sage replied. “Cye give me that cup of tea.”
“Here.” Cye handed him the tea.
“Get me a spoon I have to make sure this isn't too hot.” Sage replied. Cye exited and came back with a spoon. Sage tested the tea by tasting it out of the spoon. Then he put the spoon down and picked up the cup. “Here Ryo drink this it will make you feel better.”
“It's a little bitter tasting.” Ryo replied taking the first sip.
“I know but you got to drink it.” Sage accidentally let the concern slip into his voice. Ryo drank the tea slowly much to his dislike and Sage glanced at Cye. Cye looked at his friend and realize by the look in Sage's eyes that there was something still seriously wrong. Kento popped in the room a minute later and noticed that Ryo was drinking the tea but still didn't look very good.
“He's awake?” Kento asked.
“Yeah but he is very weak.” Sage replied. Kento looked at Sage and realized that Sage wasn't saying everything. Sage usually had a better medical evaluation then he did and usually Kento could only take on the major injuries. When Ryo finished his tea Sage stood and let Cye take over from there he instructed Cye on what to do and signaled for Kento to follow him.
“What's up Sage?” Kento said as they whispered in the kitchen.
“I'm going to have to do another heal job on him. I don't think I got all the injuries last night.” Sage began.
“But we need you to help us if you do that you might be out for days.” Kento replied.
“I have no choice Kento. I see no physical wounds on him so I'm assuming he has some internal bleeding somewhere and if I don't heal it he is not going to make it. He is obviously still loosing blood and fast.” Sage replied.
“Shit.” Kento said unhappily. “But what's going to happen to you?”
“I don't know but we can't wait for Pat. The damage is an emergency.” Sage looked at Kento. Silence went between the two. Kento was worried about Sage if he did this there was a risk of loosing Sage and if they didn't they would for sure loose Ryo. “We don't have time to argue the situation.” Sage replied calmly.
“Alright lets do it we can't afford to loose Ryo.” Kento said realizing how stupid it must sound to Sage but Sage knew that Kento was worried for his life too and didn't complain the two boys came back into the room and Cye knew that something was wrong. Sage knelt down beside Ryo again and called what little power he had left. Then green light once again came from Sage's hands and went into Ryo. Sage used everything he could and then his strength was gone. He fell to the floor again and Kento immediately checked him.
 
“I am not letting him do this again it will kill him if he does it again.” Kento replied with a sad face.
“He didn't get all the wounds the first time did he?” Cye said sadly.
“It was wounds we couldn't see Cye but I guess Sage could. We have to make sure we don't do anything to him his health is extremely low now.” Kento picked Sage up gently and placed him on the couch. He covered him up and was afraid at how venerable his friend was. Kento was still fuming deep inside and it was going to erupt and he didn't care if it would end up in Rowen's death.
 
End Chapter Four